NHL 12 PlayStation 3

7.5

1. Sep 6, 2012
    I really enjoyed this game and think that EA Sports did a great job with the improvements. I really like the full hit physics engine that makes the game so realisitic. I also really enjoy the goalie improvements because they make the game more realisitic also. I can't wait to see how EA can make NHL' 13 even better.
  2. Oct 24, 2011
    I don't really play the online features so I cannot rate those but the offline features are great in my mind. I love hitting other players in this game because the hitting mechanics are just great in this game. I also love the graphics and the goalie improvements that they made. Just awesome NHL game!!!
  3. Sep 21, 2011
    This is one of the greatest sports games of this year cant stop playing it everyday beating people and they are always rage quitting when I beat them online, unlike NHL 11 there is a hit engine that u have to time it right goals are harder to score but its all funn all together
  4. Sep 19, 2011
    As a fan of Ice Hockey in Australia, it's a tough sport to follow, and the NHL series has always kept me on touch with it which has been nice. However, i stopped playing it about 3-4 years ago, and got out of the loop. I was tempted this year, and bought NHL12 the day of it's release... and holy GOD did i make the right decision! Not having played it for a number of years, just meansAs a fan of Ice Hockey in Australia, it's a tough sport to follow, and the NHL series has always kept me on touch with it which has been nice. However, i stopped playing it about 3-4 years ago, and got out of the loop. I was tempted this year, and bought NHL12 the day of it's release... and holy GOD did i make the right decision! Not having played it for a number of years, just means that all the improvements to the engine, and the realism are all the more obvious and glorious! I've been a big time Fifa fan, but i now can i say i prefer NHL 12 to Fifa. Never a fan of Be a Pro before, but NHL 12 is SO close to actually playing the game, i love it! (as an ex player that quit due to injuries, it's a WELCOME and GREAT addition to the game!), further, the HUT Mode has been SURPRISINGLY addictive, to the extent, that as a long time GM Mode player, i haven't actually touched it yet, due to HUT and "Be a Pro"... i can hardly believe it... Damn, i'm in love with this game... I Bought Space marine and Dead Island a few days before this, and i'm struggling to stop playing NHL , and i LOVED both of those games... I'd love to give it 10-out of-10 but it's not perfect... As near to perfect as i require however, and i'd thoroughly recommend it. I can't compare it to NHL 11, but for someone returning to the series, it's a GLORIOUS time to do so!
    BTW, loving the board play, and front of the net elements!
  5. Sep 17, 2011
    NHL 12 is still on top. For those, like me, who played NHL 11 there a few significant adding, but not enough.
    But for somebody who buys ones in a while, this is pretty good game.
    But for somebody who buys ones in a while, this is pretty good game.
    Easports add physics on goalies and goals. In the same way, hits are not always huge hit, it depends most of all with which type of player you doing it (small, tall...). Also skating has been a lot improved, and now I might say that I see the difference between an Ovechkin and Hal Gill. Goalie fights are kind of useless. But now having a boy in front of the goalie really matters, unlike last year which was pretty random, here if you one big Getzlaf in front of you, shoot from the blue line, you don't have much too lose.
    Winter classic is quiet appreciate, but I find Legends pretty much uninteresting, it's only fun in HUT which is pretty much the same as last year.
    The huge difference we can find in modes is the new be a pro, you can start it whenever you want from the first year in CHL to your last year in NHL. Also you can simulate between your shifts which is really appreciate.
    Finally the simulation engine is more realistic.
    I just regret that there is no improvement in the Be a GM mode. The game is still heavy (loading, loading,saving,loading...). But still the same than last year (which was ans still is really good) but very well improved.
  6. Nov 8, 2011
    I LOVE the "Be a Pro" mode in this game. Focusing on one player allows you to think about positioning and movement, rather than just trying to make the next pass when you're playing as everyone. It is intensely gratifying to score or get a pretty assist, but it's even satisfying to be on the ice for a simple +. Have played hours and plan to play many more.

Shot aiming still doesn't jive

Shot aiming still doesn't jive with me. Maybe it's just the way my thumbs work, but using the same stick that controls skating to aim my shot-- I just end up shooting in the same direction I'm travelling. I turn on auto-aim, but it feels like cheating. I wish there was some third option...

Fun.
  7. Nov 23, 2011
    I haven't bought an NHL game since NHL 09 and boy was I pumped to play this one! I cannot lie when I say this game has it *almost* all for the hockey fan in you! I actually pre-ordered this one (the best buy bonus points always help) but I have to say I am generally satisfied. There could definitely be some minor upgrades (why do they take things away in this game? Clearly to keep youI haven't bought an NHL game since NHL 09 and boy was I pumped to play this one! I cannot lie when I say this game has it *almost* all for the hockey fan in you! I actually pre-ordered this one (the best buy bonus points always help) but I have to say I am generally satisfied. There could definitely be some minor upgrades (why do they take things away in this game? Clearly to keep you buying, but still! I want to be waved from the face-off circle and I want a true hockey experience!) The small glitches completely outweigh the overall gameplay, upgrades and fluidity of play you will have online and off. Expand
  8. Dec 7, 2011
    This the best sports game ever created, bar none. The 200+ new features, speed and complexity of the game make this game dynamic and a new experience with every new play.
  9. Jan 24, 2012
    I love this game. This is my go to game when I'm bored and don't feel like getting into the story of an action or RPG game. Be A Pro mode is the best career mode I have seen in a sports game. If only Madden would take some of the better aspects of this mode and apply them to their career mode. I haven't gotten into any online games yet and Be A GM just bores me to tears. This game getsI love this game. This is my go to game when I'm bored and don't feel like getting into the story of an action or RPG game. Be A Pro mode is the best career mode I have seen in a sports game. If only Madden would take some of the better aspects of this mode and apply them to their career mode. I haven't gotten into any online games yet and Be A GM just bores me to tears. This game gets addicting for a true hockey fan. The addition of Be A Legend just adds extra hours of game play. Another great thing about this game is that it has high replay value. If you end up finishing your guys Be A Pro, you can just start another one with another position and start all over again. I highly recommend this game for anyone who watches and enjoys hockey! Expand
  10. Jun 23, 2012
    This game has great online play! Probably better than any other sports game online. But the offline is boring and it is too easy. Even on superstar mode I can beat the computer 5-1. And this game freezes far too often! Whenever you try to play be a legend it just freezes up and I have to quit and start all over. Andi don't like how ifyoubarely touch the goalie with another player and youThis game has great online play! Probably better than any other sports game online. But the offline is boring and it is too easy. Even on superstar mode I can beat the computer 5-1. And this game freezes far too often! Whenever you try to play be a legend it just freezes up and I have to quit and start all over. Andi don't like how ifyoubarely touch the goalie with another player and you end up scoring, they call it no goal and give you goalie interference. But overalll it's seven out of ten for those reasons. NHL 13 needs to change the glitches so it doesn't freeze so much! Expand
  11. Jun 25, 2012
    NHL '11 was only better because it didn't have the failed "manual passing" set to on. NHL '12 is still a great game with a few option tweeks, I hope NHL '13 can live up to the standards that this and '11 have set.

1. Dec 13, 2011
    The main focus here was to improve the AI and even though some of the additions like the ones I mentioned above are welcomed, overall it just feels more like some tweaks to the veterans of the series rather than something that's completely new and improved.
  2. Play UK
    Nov 27, 2011
    Absolutely not worth getting if you have any earlier iterations. [Issue#210, p.93]
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 19, 2011
    NHL 12 is without a doubt better than last year´s edition. New physics engine reflects that size does matter in hockey and AI´s offensive movement is actually pretty solid. However, there are not any significant innovations that would really change the way the game is played. [Sept 2011]