8.6

1. Jan 22, 2013
    I picked this up at midnight and I was amazed by nearly every aspect of the game so far. The story is beautiful and heartbreaking so far. I am really enjoying something that square enix forgot about and that is EXPLORATION!!!!!!!!! New gen RPGS are just hallways or sandbox games. This really brings back memories of psone style RPGS when you can explore a world map. I have 100s of games across psone, ps2, ps3, psp, dreamcast, saturn and wii. And even though I've only played Ni No Kuni for a few hours. It is by far the best jrpg NO best of any rpg this gen for sure. Doesn't matter how it ends I've had more fun with the first few hours of this game then 100s of hours spent on others. This game needs to be a best seller so game designers will stop making every game with guns. Don't get me wrong I love killzone but FPS is getting OLD!!!! I hope this brings new life into the game industry that has been costing on crap for too long. Expand
  2. Jan 22, 2013
    I must say it is a wonderful storytelling with a nice gameplay never seen in a J-RPG from playstation 3, it makes rememeber the golden era of the J-RPG from psone.
  3. Jan 22, 2013
    I just want to say than you Studio Ghibli & Level 5 thanks for give us this masterpiece !!!
    The colors, the music, the battles, what a wonderful day am having.....
  4. Jan 22, 2013
    You heard and read all the good about this game. So i just want to make a brief review. The Good: A nostalgic feeling come through your bone, and stay inside your body when you playing Ni No Kuni. The artwork, the soundtrack, the gameplay, the puzzle, and the world map.. All of that make you feel like you are playing modified old JRPG. Everything is just right. The one that should be Good:
    There are two things that i think it can be improved. Which are the AI of the human character that we are not controlled.
    They should be smarter. And the AI option is limited. I wish to have more option but not as complex as FF XII.
    Because of that, the player really has to watch the other character really well not consuming a lot of MP which are very precious or dying.
    Also, it should be better if there is online feature like Familiar Battle across the globe. We can level up the Familiar and do the battle and tournament. It will make the longevity of this game longer and more fun. That's the only complaint of this game.

Conclusion:
    My score is 10/10. It doesn't mean it is perfect game. Nothing in this world is perfect. I guarantee you.
    Despite of no online feature and smarter AI, as a whole, Ni No Kuni is come with the right ingredients to really satisfy my JRPG hunger.
    So why do you still here? Go and buy this masterpiece.. :)
  5. Jan 30, 2013
    Ni No Kuni is a triumphant in the modern state of gaming. Gone is any shoehorned in online or dlc, you get the complete package from the start. The game is simply gorgeous, with superb ingame graphics, stellar audio, tip tier voice acting (english and japanese) and high quality ghibli goodness cinematics. The game is just fun to play, igniting a sense of happiness and wonder while playing. You could just leave the menu running to hear the music. This is a game worthy of buying a ps3 for, its just simply flawless. If you like rpgs you need to own this game, if you like the game journey you need to own this game, if you love studio ghibli you need to own this game, if you love orchestral scores you need to own this game. Just buy it! Collapse
  6. Jan 22, 2013
    The ultimate collaboration between two of the most loved JRPGs, Pokemon and Final Fantasy. Explore till you can't explore anymore; capture more than 300 Familiars (similar to Pokemon); take on the hours and hours of side-quests; fall in love with a story that's sure to warm even the darkest of hearts; gaze at graphics and scenes that will stop anyone in their tracks that manages to glance at the screen; and best of all, throw yourself into a battle system that will feel like a breath of fresh air (reminiscent of a Tales game).

Truly a game that should not be missed by anyone that considers themselves a fan of video games and RPGs.
  7. Jan 23, 2013
    Normally I don't play a game all the way into the night on a workday but I did for Ni No Kuni. The story, polish, combat, difficulty, mechanics are all very well executed. The game also introduces all its mechanics as part of the natural logical story progression and as the mechanics and story expands the game is very engaging. With the the Studio Ghibli art direction and music Ni no Kuni is a top notch game. Expand
  8. Jan 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a less than mediocre game, it should have been a movie.

It starts out good, great voice acting, great art, great setting.

But within 5 hours it evolves into the most boring confusing and bugged jRPG I've ever played

The main story is about 40~ hours, the plot is about 3~ of those hours, and the rest is filler fetch quests.
    Half of the spells in the game are one time use, and the other half are not used at all.

To catch the familiars in the game, it is all random number generated, and usually requires 1-2 hours just to catch a regular familiar, and to catch the rare ones can require a 5+ hour investment.

The AI is atrocious, they will burn their MP to 0 if you let them cast spells, and if you don't let them cast spells they die due to not healing.
    You get two macros regarding AI, All-out-defense and All-Out-Offense.

All out defense is usually them bringing out the worst familiar to defend with, getting hit hard and dying, and they also never attack during this phase. All-out-attack is them bringing out the worst familiar to attack with and doing zero damage.

In specific there is a boss fight with a magic-weak boss, the AI will never use spells and continually dink the boss for 2-5 damage a hit.

The game holds your hand tutorial wise throughout, even the last boss has a mid-battle tutorial telling you to dodge. I understand this is an E game, but what happened to simply figuring things out?
    You get a spell called bridge, which by its' namesake, creates a bridge. This is great, I can cross chasms and canyons with ease! But drippy (The walking tutorial) literally spells out when to use the spell. Also there are ledges that make it apparent a bridge would go here. They may as well just removed the spell entirely and just put the bridge there.

Also there is a feature which you must remove emotions from people and give them to those lacking. At first I think cool, healing people and figuring out who has what and help others! BUT, in literally EVERY occasion you need to do this, the game HIGHLIGHTS the emotion they have, and the emotion they need. What is the point? Just remove this entirely if the game is going to hold your hand every time. If one had to read the text and figure out what they had it'd be okay.

There are also huge overlooks with the gameplay. When performing alchemy you can mix-and-match items to create new ones, or use a formula, cool! But when you do find a formula thru mixing, IT DOESN'T ADD IT TO THE FORMULA LIST. An extreme annoyance. Also the path finding when attacking is atrocious, during one boss fight you spend the entire attack phase running around the monster who is continually turning, and you never get an attack in.

As said earlier, the game has 2-3 hours of full voice acting, but as you progress, it literally turns to about a 50:1 text to spoken ratio.
    This causes all character development to cease, and you lose immersion in the story.
    It's a good thing because the story jumps the shark halfway through, and starts contradicting itself and adding red herring plotlines every 5 minutes. It also never comes back to correct the plotholes, and the story is just utter trash. The characters are extremely forgetful. Oliver the protagonist starts out by losing his mother, and is fighting to save her. I was taken by this and loved it, but soon you get the other two main characters, who are about as entertaining as Dane Cook to someone with an IQ over 100.

The NPC who comes to save everyone in the end has literally no reason for existing, and is never explained. What is explained, is that this character (Pea) is brought to us by Gallus (The Wizard King). yet Gallus is an imaginary being who was thought up by Pea. I can't make this up. It's that bad.

The only thing that kept me playing was the art style.

Only giant fans of Level-5 and ghibli need play this, otherwise avoid at all costs if you are a JRPG fan. level-5 has released far superior titles to this.
  9. Feb 18, 2013
    An amazing game ruined by a horrific battle system.
    First off when you battle there are 2 computer controlled companions which help you out. Now, you can control them individually by freely switching back and forth between them and your main character or just let them do their own thing. But seeing as the game isn't turn based and the A.I is terrible I have a few BIG issues which kill the
    game for me (I have now stopped playing after 15 hours). Fighting normal battles isn't really an issue as just spamming the attack button seems to work pretty well. There isn't the tactical aspect i was hoping for like with turn based battles.
    The final straw came was whilst fighting a certain boss. And the things which really drive me crazy is when a Boss does a special move you HAVE to defend or evade otherwise you take massive damage, its just how the game is, the tutorial teaches you all about defending and it is vital to all boss battles. So image my joy when I defend the bosses special attacks to find that the other 2 computer controlled players NEVER defend or evade. So i'm constantly having to keep healing them which soon depletes your magic. An even bigger problem is when Ester, the female AI, runs out of MP instead of using a captured Familiar (aka Pokemon) to fight, she just runs up to the boss and starts attacking with her harp doing a really useful 1 damage per attack, all the while getting smashed by the boss.
    Its a real big shame. The graphics, sound, and different things to do are brilliant, i was really enjoying this game. There's so much to do, tons of side quests, you can make you own items, weapons, armour etc. Apparently there's a casino and a battle arena and all sorts of other stuff to do and i was really looking forward to it. If this game had turn-based battles like Final Fantasy 7, it may have possibly become my favourite RPG to date. I just hope they fire whoever it was who decided to have computer controlled team mates, and make a sequel with turn-based battles because this real time idea was a massive FAIL. I'm certain alot of these reviews where written after just a few hours of gameplay, and if I had written a review after just a few hours I would have also given a 9 or 10, the battle system at first is fine because you don't have any stupid A.I team mates to ruin your day. But once you have the A.I on your team that all changes. I suggest you have a read through of the critic reviews, but don't read the paid for 90-100 scores. Read up on the fighting in the "mixed" reviews for more info on the poor battle system. Good luck, if you can see past the shocking battle system then you're in for a treat! Why, oh why, isn't there a proper Pokemon game in this style on a console! Oh and one more thing, when your captured familiars (aka Pokemon) take damage your character takes damage, that's right they share the same HP and MP which also sucks big time!
  10. Feb 19, 2013
    The Good This game attempts to combine the monsters of Pokemon, epic world and scope of Final Fantasy, gameplay of Secret of Mana, and story of a movie like Spirited Away. It does a great job of wrapping these things up and creating a beautiful and eye-catching package. Sometimes making a good game isn't about pushing polygons or competitiveness. I really enjoyed the characters, environments, and story development in this game. It's nice to play a modern JRPG. The inclusion of anime scenes and voice talent also added to the experience. Overall, a great game worthy of investing time into. There are so many characters and creatures to discover and environments to roam around in. We need more games like this one! I had to borrow a PS3 to play this title and do not regret it.

The Bad Jack of all trades, master of none applies here. I found the familiar/monster designs to be rather lacking. It seems they took the good designs and played a DLC shell game with them across regions and retailers. The DLC creatures are much stronger than the ones in the normal game resulting in a major difficulty spike when you try to leave the first continent. This game could have really benefited from more appealing creatures to catch. Furthermore, the actual mechanics where you impress and tame creatures are unbelievably tedious. Metamorphosis resetting creature levels back to 1 is also very annoying. The combat seems to revolve around running away, restoring MP because it drains so quickly, and bumbling through switching to and from characters to keep the AI from failing to defend against attacks. Really tedious much of the time. The game also could have benefited from more voice acting rather than switching between anime, in-game animation, and wall of text mode. PS3-exclusivity also hurts this title by limiting its audience. They really should put together a Kickstarter campaign to get this game released on Steam for the PC.

Final Word If you're a fan of Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Secret of Mana, Breath of Fire, Chrono Trigger, or other JRPGs then you should definitely pick up Ni No Kuni. The wall of text dialogue, tedious battles, and frustrating AI may (but not necessarily!) deter everyone else.
  11. Feb 4, 2013
    I don't usually throw out 10s, infact this is the first ten im giving, and im proud to say that this game definitely deserves so!! Its so good that im surprised everytime I look at the metascore to see 86 out of 100, for this game does so little wrong. It basically is perfect in every aspect, from graphics to story and should of gotten a higher rating for I feel that it should be a game that competes for goty!! even with titles such as god of war, bioshock, the last of us, sly cooper, dead space, crisis 3, fifa 14 and more, I feel that it would take a miracle for this game to be beaten for game of the year!! Then again, all these titles are more then capable of doing so, yet I feel that this game is special for its storytelling and gameplay bring a different view on how games should be played, and it is the epitamy of legendary gaming!! I really hope this game is remembered for a long time for it is a wopper!! and I highly recommend everybody to buy this game for you almost certainly will enjoy it!! Expand
  12. Jan 22, 2013
    Game is very beautiful, awesome soundtrack, interesting and lengthy side/quests. A wide variety of images and spells. This is Studio Ghibli and that's enough.
  13. Jan 22, 2013
    AMAZING GAME!!! First game in a while I actually feel IS WORTH THE 60 BUCKS!!! THANK YOU STUDIO GHIBLI AND LEVEL-5!!!!!! If you have a PS3 BUY THIS GAME if you don't have a PS3 get one and BUY THIS GAME!
  14. Feb 9, 2013
    I usually stay well away from the JRPG genre,but since the beloved Studio Ghibli was heavily involved I gave this a chance.It turns out that Ni No Kuni is a truly wonderful game despite it's agonisingly slow start.It takes far too long to perform alchemy and fast travel as well as tapping through a large volume of fairly incidental text.The linear nature of the game is well hidden,but there nonetheless.However,It's beautiful and wonderous to behold.The familiars are varied and fun to use,but I would have liked them to involve more care.Simply equip them and feed them and they'll level up automatically even when not actually used in combat.The worst part of this game is the MP system.There are multiple ways to heal,but the only way to get MP is through coffee and leveling.Sometime you may drink 10 coffees is a single battle which is ridiculous.Though I'm quibbling a bit,I love it even though a JRPG can never match an open world RPG. Expand
  15. Jan 22, 2013
    if you had a mild interest in RPG's, this game is a MUST PLAY [and even if you dont, this is a game that almost anyone can pick up and enjoy]. Story? Fantastic. Gameplay? Familiar [no pun intended] but still fresh and fun. Animation? GREAT. You havent seen something dedicated so honestly and well done in a long while. If you are even slightly curios to play this, please PICK THIS UP. You will have a great time :) Expand
  16. Jan 24, 2013
    I was not entirely fond of the demo for this game. I feel it wasn't very well explained, and I felt I didn't get a good enough taste for the story. When the game came out I decided to give it a whirl on a whim since I was always a fan of jrpg's as a kid. It was one of the best video game decisions I've ever made. This game is amazing. If you own a PS3, buy it. Support more games like this coming out. Great story, great graphics/cinematics, fluid gameplay and controls. Intense battle sequences. Great orchestral score. No complaints at all. Masterpiece. Expand
  17. Jan 22, 2013
    I had huge expectations for this game and I was not disappointed, I have not played my Playstation 3 in about 1 year now because recently every console game has been really awful. Thank you level-5 for giving me hope in console gaming again. Beautiful game, everything is polished you can tell great minds worked on this piece. I wish more games like this would come out, I absolutely love JRPGs and this game is exactly why. Everything is simply perfect, the animation, music, absolutely beautiful. Thank you Level-5 and Studio Ghibli for this masterpiece. Expand
  18. Jan 22, 2013
    Don't listen to the naysayers this game is not just for a child. It is quite possibly the best jrpg of this generation and more entertaining than anything squareenix has dished out lately. The graphics are top notch. Prob the best celshaded game I've seen on ps3. The music is also nice and the cg is in a class of its own. I wont get too much into the story but that is also nicely done. The battle system is like tales of and pokemon mixed. Switching the monsters in and out of battle also reminds me of 13-2 a little. Familiars can evolve twice was they get to a certain level and you have great mobility in battles. This game seemlessly blends turnbased and realtime combat into what is nothing short of a masterpiece. The world map is similiar to the playstation final fantasy games and is highly detailed. You can cast spells later in game that build bridges and other things to get to areas you previously couldn't go. If you love jrpgs you owe it to yourself to try this. Expand
  19. Jan 22, 2013
    amazing! ni no kuni is a true JRPG of new times that gives the genre justice. it gives you a beautiful story and gorgeous visuals all the while giving you a depth game play system. if JRPG's have been on the low as of late, then ni no kuni is one you will want to play to ignite the JRPG flame!
  20. Jan 22, 2013
    I will keep this short and sweet. This is an amazing game. The RPG genre has been desperately starved for the entirety of this generation; however, we finally have a game in the genre worth our time. Not only is Ni No Kuni visually amazing, but it also plays quite nicely. The combat start very basic, but becomes more nuanced the more you play. The story is strong; evocative but with a good sense of levity. If you were an RPG lover at some point, but lost interest in the genre during this generation, you need to go out and purchase this game, it will blow you away. However, this isn't only a purchase for those wanting a nostalgia high, this is an easy recommendation for damn near everyone. The only thing that could keep you from loving this game is significant prejudice; if you refuse to play colorful games that have a great deal of charm, then maybe you should skip this one. For everyone else, come join the journey, you won't regret it. Expand
  21. Jan 22, 2013
    Amazing game. Quirky characters and brings back the genre of JRPGs. Ignore people that down rate because of the "childish and not action oriented". This is what a JRPG is supposed to be. Don't confuse this with western RPGs because it is not. Turn based combat is very good. A slower start that I think is there to refresh players with how a JRPG is played. The pacing of difficulty is a little off but that's okay. It's a game that should take time and practice to master the combat system as the speed of encounters become much more difficult. Expand
  22. Jan 22, 2013
    Don't believe that for one second that this game is for children! This is a truly beautiful game with an amazing depth of story and combat that will rival all other JRPG'S that have come before it and then expanding upon it! Your eyes, ears, and heart will thank you for playing this game! So, do yourself a favor.
  23. Jan 22, 2013
    I made an account just to say, I didn't know how much I missed playing a damn good rpg until this game. So glad I went and bought it. Oozing quality out of every pore, and so much charm. It's all in the details, and this was made by people who actually care about every piece of the game being enjoyable, down to something as simple as still running forward when you move to the next screen while running around, even if the camera has moved so that the direction you were pushing the stick would no longer have you continuing to run the direction you were (in a typical game). You would think that's a given, but somewhere along the line games became more and more trashy, full of annoyances. This game is nothing but a pleasance. SO refreshing. Just play it dammit. See what real gaming's all about if you've never known of it before.  Expand
  24. Jan 27, 2013
    (This is a review for the JAPANESE version of this game.) For everyone learning Japanese and being on the intermediate level, this game is highly recommended. Apart from the superb quality of the game (as lots of others have already pointed out), I have to praise it for using Furigana all the time in the subtitles, making the game very accessible even for pre-JLPT-N2 learners.
  25. Jan 29, 2013
    This game is so freaking beautiful! The Sound, the graphics, the gameplay... all of it comes in a fluid and fitting package of awesomeness. I love this game.... really :D
  26. Jan 27, 2013
    not a fan of these types of games but gave this a shot and so far great game. mature story, simple yet challenging gameplay starts easy but definitely becomes more difficult. 15 hours in. honestly this game will have me try out other games in this genre with out being bias towards them. i say give it a shot and hopefully you enjoy it like i'm doing
  27. Jan 22, 2013
    Part of me wants to say that what Level-5 has done in Ni No Kuni is innovative. That it's an entirely new and unprecedented concept. However another part of me knows that this is the game that Square was supposed to make one day. It has everything that made me fall in love with video games in the heydays of Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger, plus all the right elements of a modern day rpg. The relatability of this game's simple and heart warming story vividly throw into focus everything that is wrong with the convoluted and downright bazaar themes of other modern JRPGs. There are no spiky hair cuts, feminine men, or ridiculous costumes to be found here. Just good old fashioned fun and narration wrapped in a visually striking bow. Expand
  28. Feb 10, 2013
    I've already spent nearly 55 hours playing this beautiful game and, what can I say, it has been such an incredible, pure j-rpg-ish experience! This game can easily be placed among the best games in the genre such as Final Fantasy VII. The game itself is amazing, the story, which one might consider childish or whatever, focuses on very prime aspects of human nature and its pure-hearted potential greatness and beauty, making the whole game-experience feel like a marvelous, yet simple, adventure. The game-play is entertaining, fights are pure fun, game gets more challenging with every hour spent in it. I think I don't even have to mention how amazing the Ni No Kuni's world looks, chapeau bas Studio Ghibli! Ladies and Gentlemen, this is the Game of the Generation. Expand
  29. Feb 6, 2013
    FIRST IMPRESSIONS I shall return to review this upon completion. Well I'm 9 hours in have only two familiars and am thoroughly enjoying this impressive JRPG. I'm still currently having my hand held through gameplay with new spells, responsibilities and tools being unlocked as I go which really contributes to the depth on offer here. Ni No Kuni IS an important JRPG because it demonstrates to the Japanese what western players love about the genre and this is being shown in sales and acclaim (though some western critics still stubbornly dismiss the gameplay and combat as dull). Personally I have always loved turn-based combat, and whilst the FF series lost this when square soft merged to become square-enix through awful ATB, Level-5 bring it back via Pokemon and form something that's fast, fluid and not a chore. Battles come and go so quickly that there's no tsk when an enemy forces you to engage. What's even better is the fact that if you grind for a while enemy encounters will generally lessen because the enemies no longer attack and instead will attempt to flee from a confrontation. This is a much welcomed move which really refines the combat and any qualms modern gamers may have with it. In terms of story, Ghibli has not been watered down that much, providing a fantastic coming-of-age tale that comes off as touching and mature. The cutesy animation may put players off, but for those who have always enjoyed Ghibli's output (myself included) there is really no excuse not to pick this up. The characters of Oliver and Mr Drippy are fresh, vivid and more importantly relatable, and the dialogue exchanges are humorous as well as informative if you're getting overwhelmed with the gameplay information. You're even provided with a pokedex type journal which allows you to view all the creatures you'll come across in the game, which includes video animations and information which can aid you in defeating them. Couple this with side quests aplenty, a beautiful world map to explore, towns with talkative inhabitants and some the gorgeous animated cutscenes and you have the recipe for the finest JRPG since Disgaea (just my opinion). Expand
  30. May 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Horrible, horrible jrpg, really. Read Ironsheik and and Nugs187 reviews, they say almost everything it should be said about this game. There are other issues though, like for example how useless and boring is all the "familiar capture thing" (there are hundreds of them and levelling up a familiar takes ages and almost all of them start at a very low level and they are useless anyway since you can beat the game by using always the same couple of familiars over and over, like I did), how cliched the game is (ie. first you explore the overworld on foot, then you can use a ship and finally you can fly on a dragon...how original, isn't it?), how the environments are really bad (fully decorated rooms in jrpgs are a standard since the snes era I think...try to enter a "castle" in ni no kuni, do you know what you'll find? A big empty room with a throne in the middle, I'm not kidding) and I could go on for hours but honestly this game doesn't deserve the effort. Shame on the developers that just took advantage of Studio Ghibli's collaboration trying (and succeeding) to sell a sub-standard game disguised as a "work of art".

P.S. All the above is valid if you are older than 10, while for little children, played with their parents, the game could be great.
  31. Jan 22, 2013
    Like playing DQ8 all over again, but even better. Such an excellent game. Nice story, balanced battle system, open-world exploration, and classic JRPG feeling (and the option for original Japanese voice acting is always a plus). Highly recommended for every JRPG aficionado.
  32. Jan 23, 2013
    I've been patiently waiting for an RPG that has balance between battle system and story. Ni No Kuni offers this. It's amazing how Studio Ghibli poured out the details that make all of their movies magical, and how Level-5 took the advantage of the art to give us a game thats accesible to all and at the same time challenging to the fan of old, challenging and compelling RPG's, look no more, this is the game we all be waiting for. Expand
  33. Jan 22, 2013
    Played the game for about 3 hours now and i can say that it is what i have been looking for. If you like final fantasy and pokemon, then you will love this game. Pokemon + Final Fantasy = AWESOMENESS
  34. Jan 23, 2013
    Slow start but picks up nicely. The visuals are so beautiful. I entered a zone and the music had my hair stand up and a shiver ran up my spine. The voice acting could be more professional but overall it is still pretty good. The dialog had me laughing - video games rarely make me laugh.
  35. Feb 1, 2013
    Magic game that will most definitly involve you in a dazzling world and beautiful story.
    It was a long time since a good jrpg was made, especially for the ps3. If you only chose one rpg to play this year than this is the one!
  36. Jan 25, 2013
    Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch could possibly be the Chrono Trigger of this generation. In the sense of being memorable and as a classic. Great all around.
  37. Jan 27, 2013
    Wonderful. I don't understand how any website could give this a bad review. This game is gorgeous, emotional, challenging, addictive, and satisfying. I think people have been pampered by easy games and don't understand the concept of a "real hardcore" RPG. If you have even the slightest interest in RPGs or Miyazaki, buy this now dude!
  38. Jan 28, 2013
    This game is outstanding. It's an RPG that stands out more than any other to date on this current gen., and even rivals the old greats from the SNES/PSX eras. This game's story, visuals, characters, and all in all depth is insanely detailed and polished. Well worth the $60, almost a steal at that. The combat is a cross of what feels to me, FF 12 meets Dragon's Quest and Pokemon. Which is in no way a bad thing. Expand
  39. Jan 23, 2013
    Did you miss the epic Japanese RPGS of the PS1 PS2 and snes days? then this game is for you, this along whit Xenoblade, valkyria chornicles and Last story are on par whit the best JRPGs of the past and the best WRPGs of today like skyrim or mass effect.
  40. Jan 23, 2013
    Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch has been the sole reason I bought a PlayStation 3 again. I had very nasty spat with Sony's warranty department, and I cut all my ties with the company product wise. However, after see the demo of Ni no Kuni at a friends house I could not stay way the visuals, sound, and story and gameplay were nothing short of amazing. Being an avid jRPG gamer I thought this was going to be one of those soulless run of the mill jRPGs but I was never so wrong in my life. Call me shallow, narrow minded, or plain American but this is one of the most beautiful games you will come across any platform. I would describe this game as a mixture of Zelda/TheWhitcher2/DarkCloud2/DragonQuestVIII/FinalFantasy9. I know that may sound a little bit on the crazy and broad side, but its not a simple Tales style game where its all Japanese anamai with flat flat textures. This games simplest environments are so rich I spent 20 minutes in the first segment watching the shadow transitions I know I have a problem. A close friend of my who is in the industry says that is a very strong singe of quality at least in the visual department, and thereafter I saw nothing that wasn't just better than the thing before it. Sound... well its on par with FF3,FF7, and FF8 need I say more?

Story has been an utter surprise for me to be honest. It starts with a strong visual the loss of a young boys mother, and not to spoil whats ahead it is truly a instrument that will drive you to battle your way through boss battle after boss battle. To me the game play has never been so well blended with the Story the sidekick Drippy is the best videogame side kick ever, and I mean it he is the Robin to Batman the Biden to Obama you can not go with out him. When ever there is a portion of story delivered there is a mechanic involved, and its not a silly one time use and move on, but rather its a tool for the entire adventure. Needless to say they do not just keep throwing stuff at you but rather spread it out well. I highly recommend this game to any jRPG, Zelda, The Whitcher, or heck story/plot driven fan. Combat, crafting, and everything in between it explain very clearly and you wont feel lost or overwhelming. I had only a few minutes to write this review and my poor writing shows, but I hope you can see my passion, love, and desire to share this game with as many as I can and to Level 5 thank you, thank you very much.
  41. Jan 26, 2013
    I'm a bit disappointed with this game. I was expecting for sure it would blow me away and would be a solid 10 game or def. at least a 9. The first problem with the game is although its supposed to be an emotional journey, you never really any emotional weight in the game. You are merely just going through the motions of what the game tells you to do. The game moves at a glacial pace and I was expecting the pace, emotional weight, and gameplay to pick up and come together as a fun and emotional journey. But it never becomes that game. Instead most of the dialogue is needless and skippable. And you feel like you are going from one place to another just for the sake of it. You never really feel any urgency to your quest. The gameplay mechanics at first are creative and refreshing but get old after the umpteenth time in battle. The story and pacing becomes predictable and a bore while the only thing that keeps you playing is to see the next gorgeous locales and to see if there are any cool twists in the story. The sidequests aren't that fun either and are chores. The upsides of the game is its unique mix of warm, humorous, and dark themes and locales in the game. The voice acting is great but I wish there was more of it. Overall, if you a fan of tradional RPGs, you'll love this game otherwise if you are growing a bit tired of the formula, you might be a bit disappointed. All in all, it's a solid RPG. Expand
  42. Jan 23, 2013
    Ready for the perfect review? Beautiful art, amazing score, wonderful story, extremely deep battle system and an overall level or charm that is unmatched. I went to bed thinking about the characters, woke up thinking about my "familiars" and I have spent the day counting every moment till I can go home to play some more. If you like RPG's this is a perfect game.
  43. Jan 23, 2013
    If ever there was a perfect game for our time it is this one. I for one am so sick of FPS, as I imagine most other people are right now, that this beautiful JRPG seems even more new and vibrant than it might actually be. The story is good and did I mention the art design is beautiful? Wow, enjoy everybody this is 40 to 100 plus hours of pure heaven for gamers.
  44. Feb 4, 2013
    Ni No Kuni has some faults, but its visual display, its actual child like sincerity, and unexpected quirks have a firm grip on my unexpecting heart. It’s a world where children can save the world, not everything necessarily needs to be stated, and magic is not only powerful but visually beautiful.

Following the usual rounds of the hero’s path we find a young boy named Oliver sitting in
    small city America acting all cute and adorable to everyone in town. He’ll pick up food for his mother, help his best friend mess around with strange secret contraptions in the hopes of achieving some simple childhood dream, and will find ways to not tell lies while still doing things he probably shouldn’t. Disaster strikes, Oliver almost dies, and his mother saves him at the cost of her own life. Oliver finds himself alone, miserable, close to broken hearted when his best friend Mr. Drippy a doll) is suddenly brought to life and exclaims that Oliver is a wizard. Only the pure hearted could have undone the curse that Mr. Drippy was apparently entrapped in, then asks Oliver to enter his world to hopefully save everyone because he is now the chosen one.”Ollie-boy” is then sent on a journey, a journey that if the cards are played right will save Mr. Drippy’s friends and hopefully save Oliver’s mother with magic to spare. With wand in hand Oliver casts a magic spell to enter a world filled with wonder and whimsy. The world of Ni No Kuni.

Before I started my magical adventure I decided I would need an army or a really good team. With “Ken Grify Jr.“ in hand along with “Hulk“ I began scouring the Kingdom of Ding Dong Dell for any items or monsters that could help me attain my perfect magician destiny. Sadly I lacked the ability to capture any monster I fought, but a lemur was given to me before I entered the first dungeon… I decided to call him “Wesley Snipes”. So with Ken, Wes, and Hulk in hand I set about saving the world. Ding Dong Dell’s King, a delightfully over sized cat has sadly been cursed in a similar fashion to Mr. Drippy, he has become “broken hearted” as in a piece of his heart has been stolen by the great Dark Djinn Shadar. Ollie-boy whips out his wand with spell book in hand and does a quick spell to take the overabundance of heart in one of the kings subjects to repair the damage done to his holy meow-ness. The king then stands up immediately and decrees he has a gift for Oliver a wand, which was the reason as to why we came here to begin with) but will need to fight the Mouse King in order to obtain it.

This is a game that was made for children, we are just lucky enough to enjoy the ride. The more complicated tones of any modern RPG have been confusing us all for years. We can never truly understand why any of it is going on or why it is that everyone is talking about lightness, darkness, or their overabundance of weird crystals. Ni No Kuni I think chose to skip all of that nonsense and decided to focus more on making sure that the game itself actually works. We travel the world, watch Ollie-boy heal some hearts, play a few fun hands of platoon, face some great evil that is harming the land, then hope everything will turn out alright for Oliver and his new found friends. While I wish some of these more subtle details had been further explained or stated because I guarantee they have them written down somewhere it is not a game breaker when compared to how much in this game Level 5 managed to do right. Ni No Kuni is an actual world filled with hilarious characters, memorable quests, and actual moments of excitement. Perhaps Studio Ghibli next time around should be given control over the story along with the animation, but none the less Ni No Kuni is the best Modern Day JRPG.

For the full review check us out at :
  45. Jan 24, 2013
    When it comes to games, I live and die by RPGs(barring a brief stint as a professional FPS player). I have all the best RPGs for almost every system(xbox360 died a year ago) and can safely say this ranks up there as one of the best of the last decade so far. If you enjoy a touching story, stunningly gorgeous visuals, interesting combat and beautiful music...buy the game with no regrets.
  46. Jan 23, 2013
    Ni No Kuni Review (So Far) So, to start, I would like to say this game is pretty much a love letter to anyone who still has old school JRPGs in their heart somewhere hiding in there. The moment the game starts you are wowed by the detail in the art style and presentation. Instead of a cell shaded look, Level 5 went for more of a rounded edges look. This almost gave it that hand drawn feel. This makes since because the art direction is inspired by the beloved Studio Ghibli. (Known for producing Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, Howl's Moving Castle, and other favorites.) The story feels like is going to be like all other Studio Ghibli stories, Expand
  47. Jan 24, 2013
    Absolutely amazing and undeniably heartwarming. The RPG fan base has been starved for an instant classic such as this. Just within the few hours I've played the game thus far, there were so many times that I felt myself reminiscing to older, wonderful experiences that I had as a child playing Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Legend of Legaia, Blue Dragon and so many others. Studio Ghibli and Level 5 have created a masterpiece that will live on in the hearts and minds of its players for many years to come. I'm glad to be one of the people to experience it at its very beginning. Expand
  48. Jan 24, 2013
    It's Level 5 and Studio Ghibli. It's fun, lengthy, beautiful and has a score composed by Joe Hisaishi that; in my opinion could be one of the best he has ever composed.

What more do you need to know?
  49. Jan 24, 2013
    Made a new account just to say this: I'm in my late 30's and THIS game has the magic that FF VI had when I was young. The way a game used to feel so wondrous when I was young has been missing for years. There is a difference between "childish" and "childlike". When you're mature, you will see that "childlike" is something to run after! Get this game.
  50. Feb 6, 2013
    In short this game is a masterpeice. The perfect balance of exquisite story telling that pulls you in and grabs your attention and heart strings to make you emotionally involved in the game, making you genuinely care about what happens next. Amazing game mechanics that make your experience smooth and submersive. Do yourself a favour, go lock yourself away for a few days and explore!!!!
  51. Mar 23, 2013
    Very poorly made game. For those of us who enjoy playing for the story and on easy setting, you will be disappointed. It is very possible to end up in a boss battle with totally the wrong team and no way forward or back. This has happened to me twice, the first time on fairy island and I spent my last pennys feeding my buddies up to level them and outfitting them as best as I could them grinding on the limited selection there. Got through that mess, next problem, Hamlem and the big machine at the palace. Apparently you need a buddy with lightening skills to defeat this monster. I had never got one of them, I elected to play on 'easy' which stated I was 'playing for the story'. I didnt think I had to do my google research to such a deep degree for easy mode and for this mistake got a boss I could not defeat and no way forward. At this point my character or his healer still does not have teleport or resurrection skills. How is it a game can operate this far without your main having access to those parts of the map previously visited? I seriously regret buying this ill thought out piece of crap. How are people so amazed by such a trite story is beyond me, this place is filled with paid reviewers Im sure. Interested in buying this game? Okay make sure you like really complicated battle systems and MAKE sure to do your research before leaving an area. Easy DOES NOT mean easy. Prepare for cut scene type battles with lots of little cut scene interruptions. Oh and LOTS of pointless and meaningless little monster type things to battle. A lot of GRINDING!! There is some humour in this when you are not swearing at the stupid and many pointless boss battles that pop up all the time. Again rewards are chicken feed, helloooo whats in it for me??? There is no meaningful character customisation as you cannot control what your charater wears or looks like. I had the same wand for the last three days. Money is hard won and too easily spend on the huge party you end up having to try and manage. This is so overkill and on aspects I have no enjoyment in fixing. I believe the developers are fully exploiting peoples 'thats cute' meters to try and win themselves some points with the story and the characters but once involved in the game and seeing the very many flaws the 'cuteness' soon wears off. My warning...THINK twice or even three times before paying out for this game, be a very serious gamer with access to the internet to prepare yourself and your characters for the prolific annoying battles. Expand
  52. Jan 28, 2013
    I wasn't too sure about this game. I got 4 hours into it and wondered if I had made a mistake dropping 60 bones and not waiting for a price drop. I pushed through it for a few more hours based off of story alone. About the 9th hour, I was hooked. I learned the benefits and rewards of countering and defending. This game has it all! Story, graphics, and gameplay! I hate JRPGs, but this should be given a chance by anyone who even casually considers themselves a gamer. Don't be fooled by the nature of the game. This is NOT for kids when it comes to difficulty. The game is deep and takes some thought. If you try to rush through it (like I did at first) the game will punish you. If you pick this game up, dedicate yourself to experiencing it fully. This game gave me a reason again to use my PS3 for something other than a bluray player. Would I recommend buying a PS3 for this game alone... Yes! (Because you get a great bluray player as well as one of the best games ever made.) IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY PLAYING IT and you are bored, give it a few more hours and you will love it! Expand
  53. Jan 28, 2013
    This is my grandson's first RPG, and ,of course, he delights in the traditional elements of exploration,
    discovery, combat, progression,etc. Yes, it's enchanting; the art direction is stellar! For me though, the virtues of love, courage, enthusiasm, kindness,etc. that Ni No Kuni instill are so humane and wise in their teaching. This is too rare in any form of entertainment, but because
    gaming is uniquely
    interactive, the experience becomes even more memorable and profound. Indisputably, this is art
    in its most exemplary and sublime form. Too often, gaming is dismissed as mindless violence, but it
    is capable of soaring to so much more.
  54. Jan 31, 2013
    Game is awesome. It borrows many properties from great jrpg games and invents new ones.This game is a great to play. Story is good and goes on in great speed. Battle system has good variety and tempo. Monster collecting is one of many great addicting qualities. If you like long jrpgs, good stories, great and vibrant graphics and smooth battle systems, you will love this game. It is really the best jrpgs of this generation. Drippy is fun character 4 real Expand
  55. Jan 25, 2013
    This game is great if you loved Level 5's white knight chronicles there are a lot of similarities in side questing. However the art direction and character design is excellent very Ghibli. The story can best be described as heartwarming. I know what your thinking...lame but this is coming from someone who enjoyed prototype 2 and just throwing people off roofs TMI? If you miss the glory days of RPG's checking this one out is a must. Expand
  56. Feb 6, 2013
    Just wanted to help raise the current 9.1 that this perfect game sits at. And Arcturus519, you lie in the first few words of your review. You are NOT a fan of the JRPG genre. Not with a review like that. Go back to Elder Scrolls.
  57. Feb 6, 2013
    Anyone who would give this a 10 is ignoring some serious flaws. The game has great audio and visuals, the story is okay, and it's a lot of fun, but some of the gameplay elements are seriously lacking in fun, and some of the stages of the game suffer from lack of consideration. Side quests in the game are more of an optional chore than anything else and never add anything meaningful to the game. The primary story quests are mostly fine, though some don't make a whole lot of sense; however, many are mundane tasks that would be more enjoyable to watch then to actually do yourself.

Imagine a game where you raid a castle full of enemies, but every room is separated by a locked door, and to open the door you have to go back to one of the rooms you previously cleared to grab the key. You don't have to search for it, you're told exactly where it is, but you have to manually walk over there, pick it up, and bring it back. Now imagine that every time to go between rooms you've already cleared, you have to open the door separating them, slowly walk through it, and then close it behind you even though you know you'll be coming back this way in a few minutes. This is how the story quests in Ni No Kuni feel. I understand for the sake of the plot the main character has to do some less than interesting things, but why did the game designers think it was a good idea to make the players experience these things, and even hold the player's hand while they do them. The game also feels like you never quite completed the tutorial part of the game. Part of it is that they continue to slowly introduce you to new features as the game progresses, but sometimes they slowly walk you through a process you've already done 20 times and it makes absolutely no sense.

The biggest flaw with the game is the combat system. It's very similar to Final Fantasy 12's combat system where you control 1 of 3 party members at a time and can switch control to perform important tasks. The big difference is that FFXII had a deep system of customizable AI called gambits that let the players control how the other members acted without your assistance, and even that system left mature players wanting more control. The Ni No Kuni system gives you a handful and a half of vague commands such as "keep us healthy" and "go all out" which all seem to disappoint in some way other than "do whatever you want" and "do nothing" which work as you'd expect, unless you were expecting the AI to be smart that is. Since most of the bosses in the game revolve entirely around protecting yourself from charged up attacks, a big part of combat is hitting the defend or evade button to protect yourself at the right time. Now when you only have 1 character this is fine: all you do is cancel your attack, scroll through the clumsy console AI to defend or evade, and press X(cross) at the right time. It's a shame the developers didn't choose to use any of the many unused buttons to defend, but this could be due to some familiars not having either defend or evade or the ability to make all your characters defend with a different button. The strange thing is, they don't give you the ability to make all your characters defend until after you have all 3, so there's this awkward time where you have 2 characters and a boss is about to go nuts on you, but all you can do is protect one of you people. It's actually easier to kill some of the bosses by letting your partner die and then proceeding to outplay the boss according to his mechanics with the character you control.

Despite the incredibly flawed combat system, the game is really fun. Even on normal difficulty and with the AI problems, none of the boss fights are more unacceptably challenging. Even if you do find something overly difficult, you can just grind a few levels or buy some more items to make up the difference. It would be nice if the game had more readily available information on the different choices of familiars and the tricks available to their various forms as well as stat values, but since you can beat the game with any randomly thrown together crew, it's hardly an issue. The game is certainly more appropriate for a younger, more casual demographic of gamer than myself, but there's plenty there for more mature gamers and powergamers to enjoy as well.

+Amazing graphics
    +Good (Japanese) voiceovers. Have not listened to English.
    +Simple and trite but well executed story
    +Plenty of content
    +Noob friendly and kid friendly
    +Visually impressive, engaging, and fun boss battles
    -Awful AI foundation for core combat system
    -Too childish for some, and too easy outside of the artificial difficulty that comes from the poor AI
    -Lack of depth to combat and training system.
  58. Feb 3, 2013
    It's just the beginning of the year and I'm already considering this a Game of the Year contender. Ni No Kuni is a love letter to the legendary traditional JRPGs like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Secret of Mana from the SNES days and probably one of the best games on the Playstation 3. From it's breathtaking visuals courtesy of Studio Ghibli, the satisfyingly lengthy playtime, the simple yet compelling story to its traditional yet deep gameplay, it was like the SNES never really went away. If you want to experience the glory days of the JRPG's, then look no further than Ni No Kuni. Expand
  59. Jan 29, 2013
    Wow, for years I've wanted to love new school games that go for the old 16 bit JRPG feel. Until now all contenders have fallen short due to one reason or another. Ni No Kuni is the perfect bled of that old familiar feel mixed with a dash of new school polish. From the minute you turn this game on you are greeted with a feeling of amazement. The amazing art work, by world renowned animators Studio Ghilbli, is simply amazing. Cell shading hasn't been done this perfectly (or should I say purrfectly, for all of the insiders) since Wind Waker concurred it earlier this century. That animation style along with a great sense of humor, heart string pulling emotional appeal, and a fantastic battle system place this game on many people's greatest of all time list (jrpg). While that may be slightly premature I will say that if your going to play one JRPG this console generation do yourself a favor and make it Ni No Kuni. Expand
  60. Feb 16, 2013
    I just beat the main story. It took me about 40 hours. The music is great, the art style is beautiful. The story is simple but it's charming in a way. It's refreshing to see an epic save the world journey without all the convoluted storyline. Now that is not to say the game doesn't have it's problems, I have three major problems that really bothered me during my time with the game. The combat doesn't pause while you're selecting an action using the D-pad. It causes you to take damage during action selection. You can get around this by using your right hand to select stuff on the D-pad while dodging enemy attacks with your left thumb, I eventually got used to this. Second issue is the grinding required to get through the main story. I was playing this blind but I had to grind 2-3 hours on the overworld to advance the story after each major boss battle. So I really suggest googling "how to grind toko in Ni No Kuni", it'll cut the grinding time in half, it makes the game much more enjoyable. The last complain is a design issue. For most of the game, they designed the save points in the dungeons very well, and after each boss fight you can go to your town of choice to resupply, but after a certain very difficult boss fight near the end, you aren't given a chance to resupply anywhere else but Ding Dong Dell (your starting city with crap supplies), it made the next three boss fights much more difficult that it has to be. Now that might makes the game sound like it's bad, but it's really not. If you take these archaic design choices in mind when playing, and avoid these pitfalls, this game could easily be 8.5 or higher for you. I would definitely recommend this game for JRPG fans. Expand
  61. Jan 28, 2013
    Rouge Galaxy was one of the best RPGs I ever played which was made by Level 5 and they have done it again .. What a fantastic game! This is clearly the best Jrpg beside Xenoblade .
  62. Feb 12, 2013
    Environment graphics are stellar; character models are typical cell-shaded CGI $HIT and story blows. Combat system is also a mess. Don't waste your money.
  63. Jan 25, 2013
    This is the best RPG of this generation! Simple saying, it's more than incredible, from the art style, to the combat and story, it's simple amazing and one can put it side-by-side with the most loved RPGs of all time, like Final Fantasy VII and Chrono Trigger. Yes, it's that good!
  64. Feb 5, 2013
    [This review was completed at 55 hours into the game) WHO SHOULD PLAY THIS: Story lovers. JRPG Fans. Miyazaki Fans. Children. Emotional Gamers. WHO SHOULD NOT PLAY THIS: Fast Paced Gamers. Those with a low tolerance for rote tasks. THE DOWNSIDE: Ni no Kuni is a slow paced, highly repetitive menu system, real time combat RPG. It is slow, methodical, and requires hours of extra effort (grinding) in order to get the whole experience. THE UPSIDE: This game is a masterpiece. It uses 20 years of tried and true gaming concepts to create a web of clever systems. There is Crafting, Grinding, Character Growth, Collectable-Evolvable monsters, Side quests, vehicle travel, targeted shooting, puzzles, cyphers, and a half dozen other systems to fill your time. For a game that is child friendly (and can be beaten, top to bottom, by a child, on easy, with no bells and whistles) Ni no Kuni offers a wealth of depth to the seasoned gamer. It is beautiful, emotional, clever, funny, and deep. It is the finest RPG to see public hands in a decade. And anyone who says the JRPG is dead should be watching Level-5 with anticipation for theory myriad of other titles, (hopefully) soon to come stateside. Play it, love it, and be willing to put 100+ hours into it. It's worth it. Expand
  65. Jan 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a wonderfull game with only 1 glaring weakness so ill get that part out of the way first. I love the main character and his awesome sidekick. The cute childlike art to themand the townsfolk as well.HOWEVER tge enemies being cute and lovable looking steals from the concept of tge story. You are a young boy thrown into another world forced to fight evil in order to both save the world and hopefully your mother. With that in mind making him young with childlike art really drives home the idea that your doing something extreme for a young boy. But then you see these monsters thats supposed to illustrate just what leangths hes going to aths age to do something good and them being super happy and ultimately childish looking enemies steals away that feeling that your doing somethong amazing and brave and replaces it with all the tones of a disney junior show for toddlers. The enemies are often goify looking with big smiles and other features that make you wonder if there going to fight you or cuddle up to you at night and it kills the epic feeling of your journey and replaces it with the feeling that youre lost in a 5 year olds dream. This game coukd have easily kept the childlike art for everything else but made a darker more sinister look for the enemies trying to stop you.

Now on to the good. Presentation- this game is beautiful. Fantastic traditional style anime cutscenes give life to the already wonderfull and colorfull world. The voice acting is never cheesy or overdone and the story gives you all the justification you need to play as a child desperately trying to fix something important to him. Gameplay-this is a true rpg that will make all fans of the rpg riddled 90 go crazy for. World map towns npcs items gear stores and a more traditional combat system reminding you a little of pokemon mixed with classics lije chrono trigger help turn this game into a dream come true for all those who where horribky dissapointed in what recent final fantasy titles did to remove rpg from there rpg title.Ni no kuni is an rpg with all the elements we loved from those games brought back in full glory. Story-not going to ruin it but its full of fantasy and good enough that noone should have a complaint Combat- you are in a time based attack system allowing you to run around cast spells on your turn or just attack but using your familier is the key. They are summonable creatures who fight for you. They lvl up gain new moves and so forth. Some are melee experts and somehave other usefull skills. All in all its a traditional combat system with a sprinkle of the pokemon aspect to add depth and it does so very well. Verdict- this is a must own for all those who love the traditional rpgs of the past. Wonderfull graphics great voice acting good story great combat system and all the rpg element the ff13 stole from you are all here and better than ever. Dont let the cute monsters hold you back its only 1 retarded aspect of an itherwise perfect return of jrpg to those of us who waited so long for a new one. Ni no kuni is a must own
  66. Feb 1, 2013
    After playing this game for what I feel a sufficient amount of time, I can say that while not perfect, Ni No Kuni is easily one of the best JRPG's to come out during this generation, and will likely stand as a classic in the same vein as the earlier Final Fantasy's or Dragon Quest games. I won't go into heavy detail about the graphics: in short they are beautiful. Anyone who looks at a screenshot can easily see that. For me the single greatest acheivement of Ni No Kuni is the story and the way it is presented. I'm the first to admit that I'm a heartless cynic, and I started this game with no small amount of eye rolling and groaning in regards to the dialogue and direction that this game seemed to be heading in. That changed very quickly however, and while this games story is presented in a similar way a childrens movie might be, it is done intellegently and so masterfully that my blackened heart had no choice but to care and sympathize with Oliver on his travels. I legitimately cared for the characters in this game, something that I rarely do. The gameplay may seem simple and repetitive to start, but once you allow the game to open up you will find a highly polished and refined battle system and find yourself intentionally getting into battles just to experience. The soundtrack is well produced, but fair warning: the battle theme will begin to grate on you after some time. Overall, this is truly a great game and fans of JRPG's or just good games in general should check it out. Expand
  67. Feb 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. *Warning: SPOILERS* Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the Witch is the greatest RPG I have played in a while. One problem i have with the story is how Shadar just severs his connection with Oliver's soul in the end. There is no hint to this at all and thus it never occurred into my mind. What I expected after was another appearance from Shadar and assists Oliver against Cassiopeia or against the Zodiarchy. Expand
  68. Jan 24, 2013
    WOOOOOOOWWW!!!!! a nice experience....... one of the best RPG that i've played...... is interesting that i traveled to my infant years.... thanks level 5 for that experience!!!!
  69. Jan 24, 2013
    I just picked this game up today, and just started playing (not spoiling anything, but just near the end of the walk through), and I would have to say, this game is beautiful. Everything about it, the looks, the feel, the design, even the menus! Honestly I got this game for 2 reasons, 1) I am huge Miyazaki fan, I have seen just about all his movies. 2) I knew that the art would be unbelievable, and boy was I right. With in the few hours I've played it feels like I'm playing Howls moving castle! I've spent at least 10 minutes running in circles just looking at his cape ^_^. Though I was satisfied with those 2 factors, the game has already gone beyond my expectations! Joe Hisaishi blew me away with just the music on the title screen. The story line makes me feel warm, taking elements from his other films just add to my inner child. When I first entered a battle I was assuming it would just be one more turn based Really, which I really don't like. Then when I found out that it wasn't, and the created a whole new system, I was impressed. The only thing that I am not fond of is the in battle controls. because it is set where you can run, it is a bit difficult to switch between actions. it would be nice if that was set to R1 and R2. besides this minor setback, this game in my eyes is almost flawless. I would recommend this to anyone who is an RPG or Ghibli fan ^_^. Expand
  70. Jan 27, 2013
    If you are a fan of JRPGs and the pokemon series then you will enjoy this game. I will admit I was hoping for a little more, you cannot customize a lot (visually) as I expected you would, it holds your hand quite a lot, and the story while very good is slow to pick up. The visuals are incredible as well as the music and voice over work. There's lots to explore and if you do all the side quests you will be at it for a while. Its a polished game with a lot to do an obvious choice for any jrpg fans. I do suggest turning off the "guide star" in the settings menu others wise u tend to just go from point a to point b with out really thinking about what you are doing and it becomes really linear. Expand
  71. Jan 29, 2013
    This game is absolutely breath-taking! The world, the lore, the story are all entwined into a beautiful masterpiece. The graphics are captivatingly sumptuous, and the musical score is A-grade. The game's battle mechanics are medium-paced with real-time tactic application.

This title deserves all the high praises it's been getting. If you've been yearning for a proper JRPG on a
    current-gen console, this is it! Trust me, this is an instant classic! Expand
  72. Jan 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. SORRY FOR MY POOR ENGLISH. There have been a lot of positive reviews for this game. I agree with all of them. Don't let the negative ones keep you from buying this gem. Many of them are complaining about a.) a clunky battle-system b.) too much grinding or to many battles c.) too much text d.) repetitive sidequests e.) a childish story f.) a stupid main character g.) a linear gameplay. So let's set things straight. a/b.) This IS a RPG of course there are many battles and if you get used to the battle system it becomes fluid and addictive. I've watched many walkthroughs on Youtube. The majority of players clearly don't pay attention to tutorials and are making stupid decisions while in battle. You can't blame the game for an lack of intelligence. c.) The plenty amount of text is called a STORY. If you don't like lenghty storylines why even bother buying a RPG? And the lack of an voice-over does not make the dialog less interesting or the game broken. d.) The sidequest-part is indeed repetitive. But all quests are wrapped in a nice story so it's not that bad. And you get really usefull rewards an not the usual crap like in other RPG's. e.) Childish story? Really? The game starts with the death of a mother trying to save her child from assassination. I must have missed the childish part in here. If you pay attention there is a lot dark stuff going on as the story progresses but I guess the kids nowadays need explicit gore an violence to understand the concept of horror. f.) Oliver is not stupid or "poorly written". He is naive. Yes there is a difference! What did you expect from a 13-year-old boy who is living in a perfect storybook town filled with nice people who still care for each other? He isn't even able to lie properly. It HAS to be that way, he is the pure-hearted-one, remember? g.) This game is NOT linear. Just turn the guide-star off and you will see how everything is changing dramatically. I am playing without it and the game feels so much deeper than before. And also set the mini-map to rotate, the navigation will become more enjoyable. After a console-generation pestered with questionable game development finally something admirable an big has arrived: Open world exploration, hidden places, dungeons, dragons and witches. Tons of side quests, creature taming and alchemy. 40-80 hours main campaign as well as many hours of post game content. I feel truly sorry for everyone who is unable to realize how immersive and heart-stirring (pun intended) this game is. I am very very pleased and I hope there is gonna be a sequel! Expand
  73. Feb 5, 2013
    I'll try to help to those gamers that are thinking about getting it. And excuse my english, please. All about graphics and atmosphere it's already said, but you really have to consider this game as a gift for the old school RPG players.
    The game starts slowly, even a little boring for me, but it increases the pace little by little the same way you take care about the characters and story
    and fall in love with the world around you. The game proposes a lot of interesting bosses, secondary missions and some situations which aren't common nowadays. For example, how many years have passed since you play a game where in a new city you can't buy every new weapon and item from the shops. I even died a couple of times agains the same boss and I use to grind a lot, that was a nice surprise for someone who hates the actual tendency of game's difficulty, challenge-reward values.
    My point is, the game looks simple and easy due to its graphic style, but is an absolute masterpiece that can be enjoyable for a ton of hours, and you should!
  74. Feb 5, 2013
    The story is good even tho childish and the game play works well. The difficulty rises as you get near the end of the game. My only beef is the makers seem to change focus near the end of the game.
  75. Feb 7, 2013
    I Am not a big fan of Jrpg games, but DAMN this is awesome.
    Amazing story and amazing animation. Good Work Level 5.
    This game remember me when i was a child. Love it.
  76. Feb 9, 2013
    Bottom Line: If you are a JRPG or just an RPG fan, this game is worth owning and I can confidently say you will enjoy it, however there are some pacing issues which makes the game difficult to play through at times. The Good: Ni No Kuni is probably one of the most visually appealing games that I have played in a long time and I salute the developers for how they blended the story, music and visuals together to create beautiful synergy that is appealing to players. In addition, the story, while lacking some character development, is solid and constant with elements that compels you to continue playing. It is easy to lose hours of daylight playing Ni No Kuni so I recommend you keep a schedule just so you remember to eat. Ni No Kuni plays out a lot like a movie and I am glad they were able to incorporate some movie like aspects to this game because like most RPGs the story is what drives the game. On an individual level, battle is engaging because of the variety of options you have to command. You can use your main character who will specialize in particular skills or use your familiars for more specialized stats that better serve the battle field. There are a lot of side quests, exploration and a variety of different things that can consume your time in Ni No Kuni, which gives this all ready long game even more content for the player to enjoy. The Bad: Ni No Kuni defines for players what it truly means to grind. Normally grinding is not a thing that would bother me, but in Ni No Kuni compared to other RPGs makes grinding mandatory. This is because the battle difficultly grows exponentially whenever you travel to a new section and if your characters are under leveled then be prepared to get beat more than a punching bag. Thanks to this grinding it slows down the pace of the game and I safety compare the pacing of this game to being on a glacier moving aimlessly through the ocean. This means that it is possible to invest hours of game play and get only one suspenseful and/or engaging moment in the storyline. What makes matters worse is the AI lacks basic survival skills due to their nasty habit of charging the enemies only to get stomped to death. This is particularly troublesome during boss fights, which at times comes down to Oliver and the over-powered, over-sized baddie. While the game will give you basic commands like All-Out Attack and All-Out Defense the tactics involved in battle don't go deeper than that, but it will help you keep your AI allies alive longer. Perhaps the lack of tactics was a game mechanic choice to show the inexperience of Oliver's leadership capabilities, but I certainly wouldn't complain if they made the AI commands more specific. You could try micro-managing, but that will get frustrating quickly. Expand
  77. Feb 10, 2013
    Just finished it, and without giving spoilers I can safely say that you'd never feel stuck doing the same in this game. It constantly changes and will always feel fresh, with a paste and mechanisms that throw away that grinding feeling you get from other games from time to time. It starts off as rather strange "child-like" game, and gradually become more complex and appealing to adults as well, with beautiful music worthy its name. The improvement curve continues through the entire game. This is the best game in JRPG genre since Final Fantasy 7 in my view, and could in short be called a mix of FF, Pokémon and Harry Potter, and I for one have no love for the last one mentioned making the top score even more impressive. Expand
  78. Feb 6, 2013
    So far I really like this game. Im not a fan of a JRPG genre so I must agree with some complains here especially the repetitiveness or strange controls of the combats (three buttons to use defend? Come on...). But otherwise it is a great game. It has beautifull graphics with amazing atmosphere (just the 2D cutscenes could use bigger framerate). The story is heartwarming. And I love the attention of the details (Wizards Compantion book, etc). This game is like definition of a term "High production details". There is so much executed so well, you will gladly forgive few shortcomings. Expand
  79. Feb 11, 2013
    One of the most amazing and refreshing gaming experiences I've had in years, just such a joy to play.
  80. Jan 29, 2013
    Just an amazing title. It plays to the strength of what JRPGs used to be. It used to be about exploration and incredible characters, not linear wannabe movies. Ni no Kuni is an exceptional game for the PS3, and if you're on the fence, you should be ashamed of yourself.
  81. Jan 29, 2013
    This game is a treat, it is like a wonderful blend of Pokemon and DragonQuest IX. It has the familiar collecting and evolving of pokemon and the wonderfully campy humor and exploration aspects of DragonQuest IX....wrapped up in a lovely anime movie.
  82. Feb 3, 2013
    I gotta say, this game had me fooled. After reading all the wonderful reviews, I felt like it was a no brainer for me to purchase. After playing it for awhile, I can't help but feel like this is Dora the Explorer in a fantasy world. Everything is far too cute and cuddly for me. I feel like this game's setting is meant for children and I've got zero interest in pretty much everything going on in the game. The battle system is decent but I was hoping for something more engaging seeing as how it was compared to the Tales series in the reviews. In the end I just feel like this game was meant more for children than adult gamers. It's not the JRPG revolution that people made it seem like and I'm actually very disappointed that a game with this kind of content matter is being seen as a serious, mature game meant for the real gamers out there. Goes to show that people are so desperate for another classic JRPG that they will say anything is the next FF VII. Expand
  83. Feb 16, 2013
    When Studio Ghibli teams up with a game studio, you know that an unprecedented masterpiece is about to unfold. And Ni No Kuni is without a doubt the sole game that has touched me, made me laugh, drove me to tears, filled my heart with warmth and awe, and contains just a speck of that power you feel. I have searched, amongst the bombastic and formulaic sequels and fluff today, for something cathartic and special. Never have I had an experience so perfectly crafted. The characters are endearing, the aesthetics wonderfully enthralling, the soundtrack mesmerising and beautiful (Joe Hisaishi guys!), the storyline epic, the combat potent and satisfying. As with any game, there will be the occasional niggle and bug (I got stuck in a bush for three seconds), but none are game-breaking. This is a game to be remembered in the game annals. This is something truly special. And in our current state of the video game industry, the word special really does find its place in every gamer's heart. Expand
  84. Jan 29, 2013
    I'm a fan of RPGs, but not a huge fan of J-RPGs but I gave this game a try. The results were very appealing; the cute characters, action packed story, the exploration, familiars, and much more features made this game very enjoyable. Tidy, should I say, a $60 well spent!
  85. Feb 8, 2013
    I was strongly concerned that this game might dwell from its JRPG roots (endless grinding, ridiculous characters, annoying score). What a surprise! This game contains none of those characteristics. The main character, Oliver, is a treat and you actually want him to succeed. The graphics and the score are spectacular. The gameplay is essentially a PS3 version of pokemon which is highly addictive.

If you're a fan of casual rpgs, you'll love this game.
  86. Feb 9, 2013
    One of the greatest J-RPGs for the PlayStation 3 in an era where RPGs seem non-existent compared to previous console generations. It follows a great story with equally eye-catching artwork and music to match! Studio Ghibli has done it again with their unique artistic works, which can somewhat be compared to The Legend of Zelda series. The game can become somewhat tedious, but will keep the player busy and interested with the ability to capture 300+ different familiars, exciting side quests to pursue and exploration of a variety of regions. Expand
  87. May 2, 2013
    I feel like this game has been grossly overrated by both fans and professionals alike. 100% of the game is hand-holding and unchallenging. Grind 4 or 5 levels at the start of the game and you'll breeze on through. Equipment is available, but the stat changes are so insignificant you can go without.
    Admittedly I haven't completed the game yet, but I've sunk about 20 hours into it, about 14
    of those hours being dull, repetitive fetch quests.
    Wouldn't recommend except to die-hard Studio Ghibli fans, the storyline is alright if you can deal with the boring gameplay.
  88. Dec 8, 2013
    For RPG fans this game is a must. Superb visuals and music, very charming and special. The characters are fun and the main character is just cute. Only drawback, like every RPG game, is the combat grinding. But that's the whole point, so get this game if you like games like Persona 4.
    Oh, and the British accent is weird but at least humorous.
  89. Feb 13, 2013
    Bought this for my wife, and she seems to really like it. Aside from an annoying tutorial, if you love any classics like Princess Mononoke, or Howl's, you'll love the direction and story in this game.
  90. Mar 6, 2013
    We are 15 again (well, us 30 year olds), we are playing a game which lets us JUST PLAY. Thats it. I hit buttons, my chars develop. I look at a great bid land ahead of me and just walk. KNowing a simple something is there. I am young again.
  91. Dec 7, 2013
    A masterpiece of story telling. It provides a dash of unique gameplay with a solid base rpg we all know and love. When i started playing this my mind went wild as if i was a kid again exploring a new land with new people. The only things I can see them improving is adding a skip battle scenes and victory dances because it can be annoying if you just like to kill stuff. All that aside it still is better than any game i've played this year... The artwork/graphics is just simply amazing and such a pleasure to watch I do not know how many people have walked by and are like what are you watching. It's very hard to bring cartoons into gaming but Ni no kuni seems to do it flawlessly and to that it deserves a perfect score. Expand
  92. Feb 12, 2014
    The worst AI to grace a video game in at least the past decade ruins what would otherwise be a fantastic story with memorable characters. The greatest challenge you'll face in this game involves getting your AI team-mates to co-operate and act according to the vague tactics you select for them. Boss battles come down to winning or losing based on your ability to outrun your own companions and get a golden orb before they can waste it.

The only thing worse than a genuinely bad game, is what could easily have been an incredible game ruined by one core aspect of the gameplay.
  93. Feb 14, 2013
    Before saying anything bad about this game, I want to be perfectly clear: this is a good game, it's detailed, it's cured, it's a great JRPG, one of the fewest of this generation, and almost everything works perfectly. Almost, because there was one thing that really put me off during the entire game: the combat. While everything is fantastic in the game, it's probably the combat the part where it basically fails in some parts (and partially, also the story). Anyway, the best parts of this game, are the graphics which are godly and really reeks of the mark of Studio Ghibli (their movies are some of the best japan animations ever), and with also some fantastic cel-shaded graphics that literally destroys the photo-realistic graphics of the latest games. The music is also great and it really becomes remarkable unlike many other games, with bland music and forgettable tunes (and reminds of Studio Ghibli too). The story, while nothing special, is pretty good too...but some characters aren't that great and the last part of the game is obviously a needless filler (since this game was supposed to come from the Nintendo DS version...and it shows). Finally we also get a world map that's FULLY explorable, by sailing and by flying, after a long time of linear JRPGs and similar, and that alone is a great addition for the game since it basically brings back one of the most important detail of a roleplaying game: exploration. And like I said, this game is great, but it's the combat that's basically a bit of a disappointment: you click a command (attack, spells, etc) and during that time you see your monsters (or yourself) fighting for a period of time (you'll see a clock) and then you click again to do the same thing again, while your compagnions are lead by the (CRAPPY) AI...but you still have to give orders everytime and while you can move (and actually avoid damage) you'll still have to give constant orders whenever the clock runs out...again, this is one of those JRPGs that attempts to make an hybrid between a turn-based system and an action based system...and it fails hard., although it's still better than most of recent JRPGs...but after all this time from the nintendo DS release, where the game WAS turn-based,, we get a clearly rushed battle system that was supposed to be a turn-based one (and again, it shows!) and tried to make it more action...and while it doesn't have particular flaws, the AI is still bad and you'll basically do most of the skills and spell, while you'll let your compagnions do the most basic jobs (like healing). This just bothers me because they could've just gone for complete action based, with just one button to attack and such, but instead we still NEED to give orders and wait to give more. Just like a normal turn-based rpg...except it's not. Ok, the fights let you also control by having an all-out attack and all-out defense, since bosses can do attacks that can be dangerous, and the guard is strong. But it still begs the quest "why didn't it turn into a complete action-base combat"...and that's why I'll give it a 9, because everything else works greatly (with just the story having some "hiccups"), but it's the combat the part that highly disappointed me. But even that, it's a great JRPG after all and one of those who finally exploits the power of ps3 by giving us great graphics (and not necessarily realistic), a good story to follow, which seems more like a Studio Ghibli production indeed, and the possibility to explore the game again like old JRPGs used to. If you love JRPGs, you will love this one, and I highly suggest to give it a try. Expand
  94. Mar 6, 2013
    This game is real tidy like, flippen heck mun anyone who eint like it must be broken hearted. Don't worry Ollie-boy will sort em out, but not without the help of the lord high lord of the fairies o' course.
  95. Feb 18, 2013
    Ni No Kuni combines the talents of Level 5 and Studio Ghibli to create one of the most interesting JRPGs in years. The story revolves around (our hero) Oliver who enters another world with his companion Mr. Drippy. The two worlds are connected, so if Oliver doesn't save the day in Mr. Drippy's world, then both worlds will parish. The gameplay is mostly standard JRPG fare, you'll meet interesting people, gather allies, go to different places and resolve different problems. The game takes classic JRPG elements, adds in a touch of Pokemon-esque monster catching evolving. The combat is live action and relies on a combination of cool-down and MP for magic. Each character shares their HP and MP with their familiar. It's an interesting system and with over 250 familiars to catch, provides a lot of depth. There are a lot of small facets to the combat and the familiars that really add depth to the game. Visually, there's little to be said of the game. The game looks just like an animated film and the hand drawn scenes done by Studio Ghibli are simply stunning. Musical score (besides the battle theme) perfectly compliment the game and the voice work is amazing. The game is well done but is plagued by a number of poor decision on the developer's part. You only control one character while the other two are controlled by the AI, which is terrible. You have minimal options to dictate what the AI does but regardless of what you select, the AI is almost always irrational and often becomes a huge burden during most battles. The game also offers a huge world and lots of quest, but the slow travel rate make most of the quests very tedious. After 22 hours (just past the half-way point), you get a quick travel and flight ability back-to-back. ARG!! They should have given you quick travel much earlier (like after 10 hours)!! There are also parts of the story that feel tacked on... because they were. The PS3 version of this game added on a lot of story element's to the original (Japanese only) DS release of this game. These additions to the story definitely stick out and results in an really poor "real" ending. Post-game, you get a lot of additional quests but they're very tedious (back tracking, item farming), give lackluster rewards, and do not add anything to the story. These are just some of the more notable issues but the others are not as annoying. However... with all of that said, I couldn't help but enjoy the game for the most part. It will test you patience at times and irritate you, but Ni No Kuni is a visually stunning game and provides for a deep JPRG experience. Expand
  96. Feb 4, 2013
    Ni No Kuni is one of the best JRPG'S I have ever played. Combining Studio Ghibli's incredible imagination with Level 5's polished and fun gameplay mechanics, Ni No Kuni feels like the JRPG'S of old while revitalizing a dying genre. It feels like Dragon Quest VIII (a personal favorite), mixing elements of Tales, Star Ocean, and Pokemon into one pot of pure bliss. And man, how I've missed an overworld!

The story and world sucks you in right quick, creating a sense of charm and wonder right from the get go. The opening is a tear-jerker, creating a sense of desperation and sympathy for our hero, Oliver. More than anything, Studio Ghibli's incredible ability to create such unique and real emotion in such with their animation is one of their strengths, and combining that with Level 5's sincere approach to the story, it works like magic. Right away, you meet Drippy, one of the most incredibly charismatic and lovable characters to ever grace a video game. The writing and script is top notch, filled with hilarious dialogue and wonderful characters (that feature some of the best English Dubs of any JRPG translation that I've played).

Battles play out like a synthesis of Tales meets Pokemon. You gain control of familiars, small creates that have attributes (sword and shield, tank, fire, etc.) that do your fighting in battles. You can also take control of Oliver to command him to use various tools such as the ability to use items, heal, and run. Battles begin fairly simple with you fighting one to two monsters, but the progression exponentially increases and by no time battles become chaotic affairs that will test your wit and reflexes. The combat is incredibly addicting, rewarding constant interaction and movement on the battlefield. One of the best features is the real time aspect of the battle system. If you command your familiars to attack, defend, and use tricks (or special abilities) at the right time HP and MP orbs fall from your enemies, offering a quick heal. It sounds like a simple mechanic, but it keeps you constantly engaged while in combat, offering a fun, fast paced and exciting tug of war against your enemies.

Story telling is, to put it simply, reminiscent of Studio Ghibli. A hero going on an epic adventure to save his kingdom, healing the people of the land of their broken-heartedness, all while trying to save your mother sounds, walks, and talks just a Ghibli presentation shoud. NNK can be enjoyed by a younger audience, but the elements here are consistently dark and mature, which comes as a major relief. Keeping it spoiler free, the game engages you quite well. It's a simple yet emotionally effective story that grabs you right away.

Also of note is Joe Hisaishi's majestic, sweeping, and beautiful original score. Frequent collaborator with Studio Ghibli, Joe was (gladly) offered to compose the score, and man is it incredible. The overworld theme is still reverberating in my head as I write this. It captures the moods with gorgeous melodies and memorable themes. It allows you to explore and enjoy an already tremendous achievement all the more. They seriously need to release the PS3 soundtrack, because this is as good as JRPG and video game scores get.

And speaking of outside influence, Studio Ghibli made a significant contribution in the art department. There are original animated cut scenes produced by Ghibli themselves (namely Momose) which are wonderful (especially in HD!), the monsters are original and cute, and the gorgeous colors used in the backdrops provoke the imagination. Everything is here, and it feels like Ghibli production combined with Level 5's JRPG mastery in full force.

If there are any complaints (and these are minor grievances) it's that the draw distance is nothing to write home about. On the world map you'll see mountains "peel" in in the distance, and foliage in more graphically intensive areas obviously pops in as you walk through the areas. I also have experienced one or two werid glitches in which I had to restart the game. Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is sincere, wholesome, and most importantly FUN entertainment that might just be the last push the JRPG genre needs to get its legs again in a predominantly "bald-space-dude-marine-bro" controlled market.

Part homage to JRPG's and part fan service for Studio Ghibli lovers, it's hard not to like Ni No Kuni. If you love RPG's/JRPG's, this is a no brainer. If you love Studio Ghibli, this is a no brainer. If you've been looking to jump into the genre, you won't get a better chance. Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is a steroid shot to the imagination, giving players freedom to explore one of the best adventures this console generation. It's a masterpiece that won't soon be forgotten.
  97. Oct 20, 2013
    Ni no Kuni is an example of fine art, there a lot of things to do in the vast universe of this game. 80 hours of adventures, with amazing music and sensibility. Presentation: A amazing story, full of emotive moments, excellent interface and a great menu. Graphics: Stunning, the art is incredible, highly detailed landscapes, cities and characters well designed. Gameplay: the great feature is the liberty of the combats with a tons of customization and options, however there are some little problems with the allies, but nothing important.

Sound: Nice music form Tokyo's philharmonic orchestra, great voices and sound effects

Endless appeal: A true masterpiece, this game is amazing, You don't get wrong, this game is not only for youngest people, is for adults too. I have 29 and I enjoy the game.

Ni No Kuni is a masterpiece with 80+ hours of gameplay and at the PSN store is available only 20 bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have a PS3, then you must play it, What are you waiting for?
  98. Dec 25, 2013
    I'm a mid-twenties man who just emerged from forty hours in Ni No Kuni. If I was ten years younger and it was my first JRPG, it might well have been the best game ever. But there is so much grinding, so many elements I've seen exactly like this before. The first two hours introduced the story magically, touchingly, worthwhile-y, but were also way too easy. The battles became hard during the game, and even on the easiest difficulty, I had plenty of challenge. The 'Pokemon' aspect seems like a gimmick for much of the game, but when you play quests that ask you to find specific monsters, it makes a whole lotta sense. The environments are not very lively, since apparently they were designed to fit on a Nintendo 3DS cartridge or something. So it's definitely not a system-stretcher. But I loved the story, I loved how it taught morales every few hours and contained a lot of (common) wisdom in the greater theme. I loved the translation work, where especially "flipping" has become my new favorite alternative to 'freaking', or 'f***ing'... The meow-ifications of the cats' vocabulary, and the extreme amount of puns (the skeletons that say "having the time of my death" etc) were absolutely wonderful. Scenery and places and characters are all Ghibli magic. The only thing that weighs the title down is the triviality of the grinding/travelling, and how many elements are lifted from earlier titles of the genre. Still, what a wonderful game, at places! It's a true adventure of rich imagination. Too bad the game mechanics aren't as imaginative. Expand
  99. Feb 19, 2013
    This has got to be the best PS3 JRPG. Story, Graphics, Gameplay, and Voice are all spot on. I hope developers learn something from this and try a little bit more on how things should be done.
  100. Mar 15, 2013
    I had become calloused and cold-hearted towards JRPG's over the years where the last time I remember enjoying the genre was FF6 and Chrono Trigger back on the SNES. Ni No Kuni is defiantly in my top five favorite JRPG's of all time and potentially takes the top spot in my heart. While the combat is real time turn basted it mixes up the formula in a way that makes combat fun so even grinding never feels like a chore. The story is well written and the characters are lovable. Also while the game dose a fair bit of hand holding I found some of the puzzles to be actually engaging. I could go on, but if any part of you ever at any point enjoyed a JRPG then pick up Ni No Kuni because it's a classic and probably one of the best in years. Expand
  101. Jan 30, 2013

1. Ni No Kuni offers players an experience unlike almost any other RPG. At once, you are transported back to the innocence of a childhood filled with monsters, magic, and mysticism; but at the same time you find yourself immersed in an emotional story about a protagonist dealing with his innermost emotions.
  2. Apr 11, 2013
    The entertaining battles and the resolutions of plot threads as the game progressed toward the final credits were worth paying the cost of a slow start to the gameplay. This is a game that we'll be talking about for years to come, and I'm happy to have played it.
  3. Apr 1, 2013
    Despite the delayed journey to the West, Ni No Kuni is definitely a title you should at least give a chance. There is a demo up on PSN that you can go ahead and download, and once you get used to the combat system and mechanics of the game, you’ll be treated to an adventure like no other.