8.6

1. Jan 30, 2017
    Con la llegada confirmada de la secuela se deben tomar las molestias para jugar o rejugar este juego japonés, vaya que belleza de juego con los estudios ghibli en la parte visual y un trasfondo del mas puro y clásico rpg, esta es la historia de un niño, magia, 2 mundos y una madre perdida (o muerta). de ahí solo se abre un libro que te enviara a los mas grandes y peculiares sueños. unCon la llegada confirmada de la secuela se deben tomar las molestias para jugar o rejugar este juego japonés, vaya que belleza de juego con los estudios ghibli en la parte visual y un trasfondo del mas puro y clásico rpg, esta es la historia de un niño, magia, 2 mundos y una madre perdida (o muerta). de ahí solo se abre un libro que te enviara a los mas grandes y peculiares sueños. un juego perfecto Expand
  2. Jan 1, 2017
    This game is as close to perfect as any game I have played. Full of charm and humour, with graphics which put most current gen titles to shame and with surprisingly deep gameplay too. An absolute masterpiece.
  3. Dec 3, 2016
    This is in my TOP 5 best JRPG ever made! Best RPG on PS3.. It brought back my love for RPGs, since everything has been god awful - Skyrim, and all these other games that people are playing.

This is how I broke down my rating: Story - 10 Graphics 10 Gameplay 10 Sound - 10 Overall - 10 *Absolute masterpiece! Ni No Kuni 2 is coming out next year and looking forward to it! This

This is how I broke down my rating:

Story - 10
    Graphics 10
    Gameplay 10
    Sound - 10
    Overall - 10

*Absolute masterpiece! Ni No Kuni 2 is coming out next year and looking forward to it! This is absolutely amazing and is a must play for PS3 owners!
  4. Nov 27, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is probably the best modern JRPG of the PS3 console generation, and deservedly so. It's a significantly expanded version of the original Nintendo DS game (Ni no Kuni: Dominion of the Dark Djinn), and since it has been freed from the constraints of the ancient portable, the game really shines on PS3.

The story is about a child named Oliver who early in the game loses his mother. His beloved toy (an Irish-speaking doll named Drippy) animates and tells Oliver about a parallel world where a "soulmate" of everybody exists there. Oliver travels to the other world and learns to use magic, hoping to save his mother in his world. From that point on, the story progresses and becomes a blend of epic and drama, as Oliver travels the world to accomplish his quest, making new friends along the way.

Gameplay is about traveling in a world map and entering towns to explore further, and fighting monsters in order to level-up. The main story events are accompanied by numerous side activities (bounties, errands, side quests, mini games). The combat system is a classic JRPG with active time based moves (no turn-based), and the player can use either Oliver or a minion (known as "familiar") to fight enemies. The player can defeat monsters and recruit them to use as familiars, which can also level up through combat and evolve to become even more powerful. You can also issue commands to the other AI-controlled party members. After completing the main story quest, there is plenty of high-level enemies to fight in the post-game, and many more familiars to catch, just like on Pokemon. The only negative aspect of the gameplay is the classic JRPG issue of having to grind for hours and level up in order to progress the story (there is no prerequisite player level to progress through the story missions, but sometimes you realise you have to gain 5 levels in order to beat a boss and progress, which may mean you previously rushed through the campaign and didn't do other side activities to gain XP), but if you mix story progression with side quests, you will have more variety and it won't bog you down as much. Still, the combat system is so great that grinding isn't frustrating, other than time-consuming.

Thanks to the collaboration of the developers with the acclaimed Studio Ghibli, graphics are beautiful. Cut-scenes are hand-drawn anime, and the in-game graphics are cel-shaded to look like a 3D anime. The soundtrack is great, and the voice over is surprisingly good.

Overall, Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is a wonderful game. It was a surprise hit back in 2013, and it was so successful that a sequel was announced in 2015 to be in the works (Revenant Kingdom). I can't wait to hear more about it. In the meantime, if you read this review, be assured that Ni No Kuni is a good reason to return to the old PS3 console and play one of its best exclusives.
  5. Aug 2, 2016
    Ni no Kuni is an amazing game. I am not into JRPG at all, in fact the only JRPG I played is dark souls which is not a traditional slow-paced, turn-based and lengthy JRPG. At the beginning I find the game is kinda of boring, i.e, every encounter is just to spam attack button.. but maybe 10 hours into the game, I realized that the fighting system is rather complicated and elegant. You haveNi no Kuni is an amazing game. I am not into JRPG at all, in fact the only JRPG I played is dark souls which is not a traditional slow-paced, turn-based and lengthy JRPG. At the beginning I find the game is kinda of boring, i.e, every encounter is just to spam attack button.. but maybe 10 hours into the game, I realized that the fighting system is rather complicated and elegant. You have minions with one of star, moon, and sun elements, they have pros and cons against each other, e.g, sun element deals more damage to moon, but less damage to star, etc. I maxed level dozens of minions, they are all fun to use and feels different.
    The story is quite enjoyable and cheering. Everyone has a heart even the bad guys. In the end, I just love every parts of the game. I cannot wait for ni no kuni 2.
  6. Jun 26, 2016
    Review: 2/10
    Grade: F
    Worst JRPG Ever of all Time
  7. May 25, 2016
    A truly fantastic journey and narrative with a new take on JRPG elements. Ni No Kuni takes the key fun and impactful elements of games like Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest etc and pours them into a game that is simply stunning. Buy this if you can and experience what more JRPGs should be like in this day and age. I'll be picking this up the moment it comes to PS4 if it ever does
  8. Mar 31, 2016
    Ni no kuni... what is there to say about this game. When I first played it and someone asked me what my thoughts were about it, I said it's soul-mending. It is a truly beautiful game, with a strong and original story and with a huge emotional impact. For such games, any flaws or technical shortcomings do not matter. A game needs to have a soul in order to be remembered. This is a game INi no kuni... what is there to say about this game. When I first played it and someone asked me what my thoughts were about it, I said it's soul-mending. It is a truly beautiful game, with a strong and original story and with a huge emotional impact. For such games, any flaws or technical shortcomings do not matter. A game needs to have a soul in order to be remembered. This is a game I will surely remember. Expand
  9. Mar 9, 2016
    Ni no Kuni. Ein Spiel welches es vermag einen vollkommen in seine Welt eintauchen zu lassen. Zum ersten liegt das an der liebevoll, bis zum Rand mit Details, gefüllten und im passenden Anime-Look gehaltenen Spielewelt. Zum zweiten an dem süchtig machenden Zähmen und Entwickeln von Monstern/Vertrauten. Und zum Dritten an dem interessanten Kampfsystem, welches mich persönlich, an eineNi no Kuni. Ein Spiel welches es vermag einen vollkommen in seine Welt eintauchen zu lassen. Zum ersten liegt das an der liebevoll, bis zum Rand mit Details, gefüllten und im passenden Anime-Look gehaltenen Spielewelt. Zum zweiten an dem süchtig machenden Zähmen und Entwickeln von Monstern/Vertrauten. Und zum Dritten an dem interessanten Kampfsystem, welches mich persönlich, an eine Mischung aus "Tales of" und der "FF13" Reihe erinnert.

Alle die etwas mit der Optik und dem Kampfsystem der "Tales of" Reihe, dem Sammelwahn von "Pokemon" und vergleichbaren, dem Kampfsystem der "FF13" Trilogie, einem epischen orchestralem Soundtrack und allgemein etwas mit Anime bzw. Cell Shading anfangen können, sei dieses Spiel ans Herz gelegt.

10. Feb 21, 2016
    A superb game that;s reminded me why I loved games in the first place.

Genuinely wonderful JRPG that I borrowed a PS3 to play - and I was not disappointed :)
  11. Feb 16, 2016
    I bought this game and only because I had to see what all the hype was about. It litterally blew my mind. There could be 10 in the series and it would still be a gem. Best part? Litterally everything! Just make sure to check that you still have a life once in a while because you might get deep into it.
  12. Aug 25, 2015
    Best RPG i played on PS3.

Really good story and studio Ghibli is great as usual.
    Great music, soundtrack and voice acting.
    I was afraid it would be too childish for me but I really enjoyed it.

I hope they make a sequel.
  13. Aug 14, 2015
    I hated the random encounters and clunky combat system so much that I found this game unplayable. I'm not willing to spend 40+ hours of my life needlessly grinding just to advance the plot and see the next location. Even as a Ghibli fan I couldn't get on with this game. Maybe JRPGs just aren't for me...
  14. Aug 3, 2015
    Amazing game, easily in my top 10 games of last gen. It's basically a hybrid Pokemon game, and a pretty good one at that. The grinding/looting/ capturing was crazy addicting and also crazy rewarding. When you go the extra mile in this game you know you'll be rewarded, (which some games don't). The overall gameplay was fun, challenging, and refreshing. The hybrid real time battle system isAmazing game, easily in my top 10 games of last gen. It's basically a hybrid Pokemon game, and a pretty good one at that. The grinding/looting/ capturing was crazy addicting and also crazy rewarding. When you go the extra mile in this game you know you'll be rewarded, (which some games don't). The overall gameplay was fun, challenging, and refreshing. The hybrid real time battle system is perfect in this game imo, it is strategic and feels awesome when you finally beat a boss or a bounty hunt. The story was good and i enjoyed the characters and story missions, but must say i wasn't wowed by the ending. The open world element of this game was a cherry on top, looting for ingredients , grinding and trying to find strong familiars, etc. all added to the adventure and amazing variety of this game. The only negatives were the annoying reappearing monsters during story missions and the lack of feel of whether or not a familiar is any good when you start, the revelation in the story was kind of meh to me, but thats imo. To end, this is basically Pokemon for ps3, whaddya waiting for! Expand
  15. Jul 16, 2015
    Nowhere near as great as it's made out to be- and far from perfect. It's a good game but has severe flaws and the story can be quite dull at times and nonsensical at others.

It personally took me a loooong time to get into the story; the intro was rather bland and aside from the legendary Mr. Drippy, the characters in the beginning aren't especially exciting. Oliver is your typical do-gooder-no-personality-whatsoever hero, and remains uninspiring throughout the game.

Graphics-wise, the game is gorgeous, and I often found myself taking time out to simply look around. The cut scenes by Studio Ghibli are the typical fare you'd expect from them.

The soundtrack is brilliant, not much else to say on that point!

Apart from the story, the biggest flaw is the AI of your comrades. This makes later battles incredibly annoying at times- for example, I've set them to heal before and they do anything but that- and the game could've benefited greatly from a FF12 style gambit system or something similar, giving greater control over the party members.

The familiars are a fun aspect of the game and will appeal to most Pokemon fans.

The Wizard's Companion is actually one of my favourite aspects of the game, but for anyone who hates large amounts of reading it may seem choresome trawling through it for certain side quests- thankfully there is always Google!

I think they also missed a trick by not utilising all of the spells you acquire over the game; some spells you don't have the opportunity to use at all. Many spells are just fillers and I found that disappointing.

Overall this a game worth playing, but it's far from the best JRPG ever.
  16. Jul 8, 2015
    I'll keep this review short and straight to the point. The combat and is awesome but the team AI are brain dead, so it will be a pain in the ass later on the game. The story is the weakest feature in the game, i hated Oliver (the main protagonist) he was a whining **** ( he's basically like Shinji from Evangelion with more whining) there is nothing interesting about him and the main plotI'll keep this review short and straight to the point. The combat and is awesome but the team AI are brain dead, so it will be a pain in the ass later on the game. The story is the weakest feature in the game, i hated Oliver (the main protagonist) he was a whining **** ( he's basically like Shinji from Evangelion with more whining) there is nothing interesting about him and the main plot is decent but it's hard to care about the main characters because they are so predictable. The familiars are awesome and unique but it's always a pain in the ass when you want to add a new one to the team because it requires a lot and i mean A LOT of grinding that i ended up editing my save file to the max level so i can actually progress in the plot. The lore is interesting and the world is so gorgeous there are a lot of fun side quests that are actually rewarding, completing side quest will add a new mechanic every time like jumping for example. The soundtrack is simply flawless. Overall this is one of the best JRPGs to date but it has a lot of issues that held it back from being in my top 10. This game is on sale most of the time in the PSN, for the price of $9 it's a steal. Expand
  17. Jun 20, 2015
    Im biased because this game represents something i always wanted in my life, an RPG that strongly resembled a cartoon! The artstyle this game deliver has to be yet surpassed is simply a joy to watch everything and wander around, through the whole game the visual quality never lets down.

Also is not completely linear and encourages exploration, lots of monsters to aid you in your quest, nice orchestral soundtrack and a nice story makes this a must have and probably future classic.
  18. Jun 2, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was a very surprisingly pleasant little RPG. I went in not expecting this from it.

"Pokemon". OK people. We act like pokemon is the only thing ever to take the concept of having creatures be your friends and help you fight. Chill out. Yes, I can see that this is reminiscent of pokemon, certainly. But many games use this; it is not a ripe-off. Calm down. I really enjoyed the familiars-based combat (but holy your AI party members will be really stupid with theirs sometimes, like dang, hope you're ready to baby sit during combat). Leveling familiars can be a little annoying sometimes, but later in the game there is an easy creature that dishes out a lot of EXP so the grind becomes not so bad.

POSITIVE:
    The sort of dual plot is where I was surprised- the ambiguity of this make believe world, for me, was stunning. There is the surface level little-boy-saves-fantasy-world part to it, which was honestly quite cute (against my usual opinions). Then on another level, there was the implication that the world didn't really exist at all and was really just a coping method for the little boy's loss of his mother.

The graphics are very cute, and the occasional Ghibli animated parts were truly a treat.

The universe was pleasant. And the throwback to a world map based game (I am referring to FF7 style) was refreshing, but also very nice that the battles were not random encounter- you see the enemies and it takes you into another screen. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED that lower level enemies run from me. Like, how realistic, right? Wouldn't they though? But anyway. I was also excited by each new location (and also how not terribly painful they were. dungeons are brief and to-the-point).

The sidequests were pleasant (some repetitive, but hey, they're 100% optional). They often send you back to previous locations, but you obtain a fast travel and THE LOWER LEVEL ENEMIES DON'T INSIST ON WASTING YOUR TIME. WHICH IS GREAT. So you can come and go to low level areas without wanting to shoot yourself as you please.

After-game content is not pure grinding! Which is cool! (the after game, unfortunately, is not chronologically after you save the world. this is still a rare thing in games. it takes you back to before you won. but that is fine).

MEH:
    Nothing is perfect, of course.

The music was ok. Just your standard adventure game music, about what you would expect.

The characters and their relationships. The duality of the plot was great, but the surface level plot was about what you would expect tbqh. The characters didn't really do much to surprise you with their behavior (the grumpy one was grumpy, the two who always bickered still always bickered, the jokes were silly at best, etc.) This is easily excused, for me, by it being the creation of a little boy struggling with grief.
  19. May 18, 2015
  20. Apr 5, 2015
    I loved this game so much! It still reminiscing very lively in my heart and I will never forget how its story, gameplay, and characters touched me heart. This RPG deserves to be experienced by every fan and it will have enough memorable content in it to last a lifetime.
  21. Mar 27, 2015
    Absolutely gorgeous game from one of the best animation studios int he world. Story is long and great in true JRPG fashion. You won't ever forget this game. RPG at its finest!
  22. Mar 9, 2015
    The typical Miyazaki experience: Beautiful artwork, accompanied with the most annoying and bland characters, which pair with the story perfectly. I persisted through this game simply to watch more of the beautiful cut-scenes, but eventually I was simply unable to progress. You see, the combat system in this game is a lot like Pokemon. You summon a team of monsters, and choose from a listThe typical Miyazaki experience: Beautiful artwork, accompanied with the most annoying and bland characters, which pair with the story perfectly. I persisted through this game simply to watch more of the beautiful cut-scenes, but eventually I was simply unable to progress. You see, the combat system in this game is a lot like Pokemon. You summon a team of monsters, and choose from a list of different elemental and physical moves.
    But that's where the compliments end. Unlike Pokemon, you can only control one out of the three team members. Which means that the others will either waste their mp on magic attacks immediately, or charge in blindly to their death if you tell them not to use magic. This makes the combat COMPLETELY broken, since you're out of mp in 2-3 fights in the wild, or halfway through a boss fight.
    I actually quit on a boss fight that is simply unbeatable, and came to Metacritic to find that someone probably quit on the same boss. Here's an excerpt they wrote that sums it up perfectly: "The final straw came was whilst fighting a certain boss. And the things which really drive me crazy is when a Boss does a special move you HAVE to defend or evade otherwise you take massive damage, its just how the game is, the tutorial teaches you all about defending and it is vital to all boss battles. So image my joy when I defend the bosses special attacks to find that the other 2 computer controlled players NEVER defend or evade."

Being a mainly RPG player, I never thought that I'd see the day when I quit an rpg. But Ni No Kuni made sure that there's a first time for everything.
  23. Feb 24, 2015
    Ni No Kuni is one of my all time favorite games. It has great battle system. Great story, and you always have something to do from side quests casino or the story. The graphics are great. This is a game you can easily get into.
  24. Feb 22, 2015
    one of the BEST games I have ever played! if you are a pokemon lover you will love it! if you are a fantasy lover you will love it! it will drive you through amazing places you will enjoy it for sure! grab it though is over 70 hourse gameplay!
  25. Feb 15, 2015
    good story line i guess. battle mechanics took me out of the game. i just couldn't get into the combat system. good combat is essential for any rpg, and i didn't have any desire to level up since the combat system was uninteresting. do your research before buying a game. i could see how this game might appeal to people just starting to get into rpgs.
  26. Feb 1, 2015
    It's not the best game that I've ever played, but it's possibly the most beautiful and engaging. The battles get pretty tedious after a while, but it was a nice touch that "low level" enemies tried to avoid encountering you. You're basically playing a Ghibli film, so as you'd expect, the story is great and the visuals are stunning.
  27. Jan 25, 2015
    I have finished the game and I somehow do not get the hype of this game, I think this game is really mediocre.

The story is boring for me, cliche. The battle system is boring, you just keep leveling up and then keep smashing the attack button. Uninteresting characters, except for Mr. Drippy, that is the only one I liked in the game. The game has its upside though, beautiful and peaceful world, great soundtrack, alot of exploration and that is a must for JRPG. In conlcusion, I think this is a game for JRPG fans, if you are it is a must buy.
  28. Dec 9, 2014
    Fantastic JRPG that took me on an amazing adventure to another beautiful world. Everything is superb, from the world design, to hundreds of unique and controllable creatures that are often so well-designed, original or just plain cute, it's awesome, tons of equipment, complex alchemy that is actually fun to mess with and cook your own food and treats, boat sailing, dragon riding, casinoFantastic JRPG that took me on an amazing adventure to another beautiful world. Everything is superb, from the world design, to hundreds of unique and controllable creatures that are often so well-designed, original or just plain cute, it's awesome, tons of equipment, complex alchemy that is actually fun to mess with and cook your own food and treats, boat sailing, dragon riding, casino mini-games, all these things this game has to offer, Ni No Kuni was clearly made with love and incredible attention to detail. The best example is the wizard's companion, your in-game handbook which is probably the most impressive piece of book I have ever seen in a game, detailed maps, information about everything in the world, the provisions, creatures, spells, weapons, exclusive tales, everything with beautiful hand-drawn pictures, even it's own alphabet, lucky the ones who were able to get their hands on the real thing from the deluxe edition. Yes, the story and the whole theme might seem a bit childish, but it doesn't mean it's bad, just the opposite, it's incredibly emotional piece of work and battles are quite challenging, so yes, it's a fairytale, but don't get fooled, this is some serious fairytale material, mun! Visuals are breathtaking, it's made by Ghibli, so it basically feels like living inside one of the Miyazaki movies, even Joe Hisaishi provided a fantastic soundtrack that actually ranks among his best, so the experience is truly complete and it cannot be recommended enough. Main story took me about 60 hours, plus additional 30 hours of post game content, add some grinding that was needed for some of the quests and you get easily around 100 hours of an unforgettable experience. 10/10 Expand
  29. Nov 8, 2014
    This game has it all and gives it all to you! It has leveling, It has equipment. It has battles every few seconds, It has an amazing over-world, It has a desert, It has towns. It has an arena, It has a casino, It has summon magic, It has an airship, It has a DRAGON THAT YOU CAN RIDE!, It has side quests, It has bounty hunting, It has famous Japanese artists and musicians on the team, ItThis game has it all and gives it all to you! It has leveling, It has equipment. It has battles every few seconds, It has an amazing over-world, It has a desert, It has towns. It has an arena, It has a casino, It has summon magic, It has an airship, It has a DRAGON THAT YOU CAN RIDE!, It has side quests, It has bounty hunting, It has famous Japanese artists and musicians on the team, It has alchemy, If you can think of a common JRPG staple, here's Ni no Kuni. If you're a fan of classic, time-consuming, grinding role-playing experiences, you're not going to be disappointed in this game, its just too good! Expand
  30. Nov 6, 2014
    This is the best modern JRPG game i have ever played. It's like a mix of Pokemon, Zelda and Final Fantasy!
    The story is touching, fantastic animation, matching music, and really fun combat system.

It's a big plus that this game have many different side quests, but some of them can be boring. These alchemy and Derwin quests took so much time, i don't understand why the team needed to do these quests so complicated...

But overall this game is fantastic and challenging on a great way!

1. Ni No Kuni offers players an experience unlike almost any other RPG. At once, you are transported back to the innocence of a childhood filled with monsters, magic, and mysticism; but at the same time you find yourself immersed in an emotional story about a protagonist dealing with his innermost emotions.
  2. Apr 11, 2013
    The entertaining battles and the resolutions of plot threads as the game progressed toward the final credits were worth paying the cost of a slow start to the gameplay. This is a game that we'll be talking about for years to come, and I'm happy to have played it.
  3. Apr 1, 2013
    Despite the delayed journey to the West, Ni No Kuni is definitely a title you should at least give a chance. There is a demo up on PSN that you can go ahead and download, and once you get used to the combat system and mechanics of the game, you’ll be treated to an adventure like no other.