8.6

1. Sep 9, 2014
    A really awesome game. It looks like it is made for children but it is not. The game deals with some sad and depressing issues. Overall the whole game / game world is created with a lot of love and care. The story is engaging and the characters are well written with clear and believable motivations. I wished that Square Enix put the same amount of care in their games. Also there are lot of side quests / optional activities which gave me a total playtime of 60 hours. It is slightly below 10/10 but it is a must have game for PS 3. Expand
  2. Jul 20, 2014
    I found this game remarkably tedious, even for a JRPG. Picture: running errands all day, only with Pokemon. Take my experience with a grain of salt, as I became too bored to finish the game. Many people love it, but I found the game lacking "wow" moments.
  3. Jun 24, 2014
    I picked up this game just on a hope that LEVEL 5 was back to making good games and that Studio Ghibli's involvement was a blessing. I was completely correct.

As soon as I started playing and watching the cutscenes I noticed the Ghibli flare. Everything about it screamed Ghibli from the art style to the voice acting, but I didn't think that could keep up in the gameplay. Boy did it
    ever, everything from the buildings to the ground to the sky looks hand drawn and onderful. Especially when you are exploring the hometown and cities throughout the game.

Once I delved into gameplay I noticed it was similar to Pokemon, but an added twist. It was more complex to me in a way, but also very relaxing. I spent almost a hundred hours playing this game and not for one second did it feel repetitive or boring.

The story is pretty unique, I mean the characters are very set and standard but the way it unfolds is entirely it's own. This game was never too hard either, there was only one time I felt a little baffled as to why I couldn't beat someone and that was one of the hardest enemies in the game.

The game doesn't feel childish either, just like Ghibli films, it evokes a sense of wonder and awe. I really don't know what else to say about this game, the gameplay, style, atmosphere, art, story, characters are all just great! It reminds me of my childhood as well, which is extremely inviting because not many things can. Buy this if you are open to new concepts, but in at the same time familiar that are set in a wonderful world!
  4. Jun 22, 2014
    Despite the controversy with Namco and the wizards edition scandal, and having to wait two years for a proper English port of the game, Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch arrives! The game came out early in 2013, finally got the time to actually sit down and put in 50 hours of time to beat the game, which is standard at this point for JRPGs. Ni No Kuni has a mixture of emotions from gamers. Seems to vary between people loving the game naming it one of the best JRPGs they have ever played, or others just thinking it is an okay game. Haven’t come across anyone who passionately despises the game yet though.

Ni No Kuni is based on a story where a young lad name Oliver comes across a pretty serious tragedy that changes his life. Oliver then goes to another world in which he hopes to reverse the tragedy that has happened in his world there, while also helping this other world with the perils it is going through. Pretty standard for JRPGs if you ask me, boy has to save the world from big bad evil and spoiler alert, he needs to have some big bad weapon to do it. However, there isn’t anything wrong with staying with the standards set of blueprints of typical JRPGs, and in fact Ni No Kuni’s story is one of thee best if not thee best part of the game. The story is a story we can all relate to, and may even give some nostalgic memories of childhood with dare I use the word “cute”. Despite Ni No Kuni being cute, it is no kids game. In fact, the story is actually rather dark and sinister. In addition, the story has some interesting twists, some that I didn’t really fully suspect until right before the end. The side stories of the various side characters “Drippy, Swaine, and Esther” are also very well written, and there are even more side stories than that! The voice acting dialog and writing of the game are top-notch, and at points funny with characters like Drippy and Swaine.

So the story is good, it should be something you expect from a solid RPG honestly. How about the gameplay? It is very similar, if not an extensive rip off of Pokemon. You catch familiars “Pokemon” train them and evolve them with large amounts of sweets and then fight with them. It is quite surprising that all my familiars did not end up with type two diabetes by the end of the game, because holy **** eating 10 sundaes, chocolate bars, ice creams, pies, or cakes will never end well. Not to mention, the whole concept of leveling your characters with these damn sweets is awfully tedious and time-consuming to give them the treats one by one. Course, you could just give them the sweets that have more fullness, but I have other things to buy then just making these sweets to evolve them. It got to a point where I just stopped evolving them because the whole task just got so cumbersome and took forever. Despite barely evolving them, the game was very easy. I only had some troubles with about one to three of the regular bosses, and then had quite some trouble with the very last boss. Other than that, I played the entire game on normal and had no problems doing much of anything. About half way through the game, you get a spell called travel that makes matters only worst for the games difficulty. Essentially, travel is the fast travel of Ni No Kuni. Once I got travel, the game went so much faster, which was something it didn’t need because it was pretty damn easy already. Others have claimed they never had enough MP or always ran out, and for some reason caffeine must be scarce because Coffee costs a fortune at 1,000G or so eventually. I never really used the spells, and still had no problem. The one I did was Oliver’s healing touch, and that only took 3 MP per cast. There is a whole thought out system of weaknesses and strategy and all set for you, but didn’t use any of it as I didn’t need to. Many people I have seen complain about the battle system and the battle UI. I had no problem with it, and quite frankly liked the battle UI.

The second complaint I had with the game was the whole concept of errands. All the errands and such are repetitive, to the point where they use the same characters. Most of them involve finding someone with a broken heart and then mending their heart. I don’t really want to explain the whole concept of the hearts, but essentially it is a “take this from this person to this person” type of situation. At first, they had some variety in Ding Dong Dell with errands, and then post-completion they had the variety they needed during the game all along! Errands however, are still worth doing despite being awfully linear and boring, as they remove the grind from the game “for the most part, I still did some grinding at the end”, give you the majority of your funds, and supply you with neat bonus attributes by turning in your merit cards you earn from doing errands for a reward of attributes that may boost the xp gained per battle to boost the loot of battles and much more.
  5. Jun 13, 2014
    Ni no kuni es un buen RPG con unos valores altos de producción. Como en algunas películas del estudio Ghibli, peca de tener tramas sosas que son sólo un conducto para mostrar la belleza de la pincelada y el arte visual de este equipo. La trama se me antoja muy infantil, hasta el punto de perder el interés. Y lo mismo ocurre con los combates y los mini pokemons que usamos para pelear. Termina siendo todo un poco ñoño. Es una pena que el estudio no haya elegido un estilo más parecido al de la Princesa Mononoke por ejemplo, porque estaríamos hablando seguramente de un RPG épico. Expand
  6. Jun 4, 2014
    If you're into time consuming JRPGs this game is right up your alley. The world map is huge (although it takes a good amount of time to get the fast travel spell). There is so much to see and do, and the combat system is really unique. For PS3 owners who love a huge game to dig their teeth into, Ni No Kuni is a must-have.
  7. Jun 4, 2014
    I can't give it a fair review because honestly I stopped playing very early(within 3 hours). However, there is nothing horrible about this game but EVERYTHING IS EXCELLENT!!!

1)Remember the RPGs of the 1990s? Chrono trigger, Secret of Mana, Shining Force? etc etc THIS GAME BRINGS LOVE AND PASSION BACK INTO THESE GAMES!!

2)Combining epic Movie studio + love for old school rpgs =
    10/10 for me.

3)The bad Part that made me quit? The Theme was too childish.

I give it a 8/10 because the positive overshadows the negative.
  8. May 27, 2014
    Played it for a long hours and I've finally realised what's the problem with this game. Two words: target audience. This game's themes can be a great story for a kid - you know - bright colours, soft language, possibility of raising your own pokemons. That's absolutely not a bad thing but I became tired of it eventually, the bad thing is a difficulty level/lots of difficult text which will be too challenging for a kid. Basically it's a family game - I'm sure I'll give it a go when I'll have kids so I can help it on difficulty spikes but if you've no kids and you're older than 12 years old I don't think there will be much to hold you in front of a screen for long. If you ask why I played for long if I don't like the game I can answer that I've forced myself to play to give it a chance. One day I'll update this review after playing with kids and we'll see if I've changed my mind. Expand
  9. Anb
    May 4, 2014
    After beating the game i have mixed feelings - on one hand this game is classic jrpg with beautiful world and gorgeous music. On the other hand - the plot is so dumb, too childish and unoriginal there is no single point in the game where player may feel any intrigue - it is all clear what will happen next.
    There is also a big problem in a gameplay balance. I've beaten final boss on lvl40
    and it was not hard, actually every boss in the game wasn't hard to beat at all, even though i spent zero time grinding levels BUT, the regular mobs at the same time can drain all your mana in single battle, leaving you exausted for upcoming mobs in the dungeons. So, 90% of the time i've just ignored all the regular mobs and rushed through the bosses. And it is not very fun, if you are not willing to grind. On the other hand again, if you grind on regular mobs - the bosses become so damn easy to beat that it breaks all the fun even more. Expand
  10. May 2, 2014
    This game gets bonus points for not having every single character being a spiky haired whiny little b*tch. Kudos there, I guess. Starts off a bit slow as far as opening up the combat, but once it does it is a fun ride. The cartoon graphics are sharp and the writing is better and more touching than your standard cliche' and/or nonsensical sh*tty RPG affair. If you like RPGs, certainly give it a shot. 8.75 rounded up 9. Expand
  11. Apr 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's been a while since I've played game I've enjoyed so much. I put this in my gamefly just based on ratings. It wasn't even one of my higher rated games but they sent it to me anyways. I wasn't too happy when I first started playing it but as I progressed, I fell in love rather quickly.

The game play is phenomenal from the battles, to the errands, to capturing different familiars. Each area is varied with different familiars to collect and different bosses to fight. I can't really put to words how amazing this game is. The story makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside and the characters keep you entertained. Classic, old school JRPG. The game has a pokemon type feel to it where you can explore many different areas and capture different monsters.

There is one thing I found annoying, however, in this game. When you are in a battle and cast a spell, it can get canceled if an opponent or one of your teammates cast a quicker spell (spells with cutscenes). Very annoying when you are trying to steal items. Otherwise this game is as close to perfect and polished as any game you will play. PICK IT UP AND ENJOY!
  12. Mar 24, 2014
    It's just so perfect, pretty much to PS3 what Dragon Quest VIII was to PS2. Exploration, catching monsters, gorgeous graphics, charming, brilliant story. Studio Ghibli makes awe inspiring films, I hope they'll make many more gems such as this game, as the line between movies and interactive games continues to blur.
  13. Mar 23, 2014
    Really addictive JRPG. However the story and sidequests are really childish but everything else is top notch. The combat feels great and the monster capture will keep you playing for a while !
  14. Mar 1, 2014
    By all appearances, I should love this game. It has an endearing personality, has elements of classic RPGs, and the combat is reminiscent of Pokemon. I really wanted to like this game. I rarely quit games, but after about 17 hours into the game, I cannot go further.

I’ll begin with the obvious strength of Ni No Kuni. The overall presentation of the game is phenomenal. The menus are
    slick, the music is top-notch, and the writing is witty. The game does come off as childish, but I thought it added much to its own personality.

However, once the smoke clears and the reality sets in, I started to realize many of the games shortcomings. First, the beginning of the game is excruciatingly boring. The beginning is riddled with cutscenes, hand-holding gameplay, basic combat, etc. It isn’t until about 6 hours in until the game begins to pick up.

The game has two glaring flaws, the story and the combat. The story begins as a heartwarming tale of a son trying to save his mother. Aside from that, there isn’t much meat to the story. The characters aside from your trusty sidekick Drippy are extremely bland and one-dimensional. The combat borrows much from that of Pokemon, but lacks any of the fun strategy elements of the Pokemon games. There is a lot of just mashing the attack button during the wild battles. Many of the combat’s problems are more noticeable during boss battles. While it’s nice that not two boss battles are alike, about half of the boss battles are very difficult because the game randomly spikes the difficulty forcing you to level up your characters, which ruins much of the game’s continuity. The combat has too many menus, so you’ll find yourself getting pummeled while trying to find that one attack. Additionally, your party AI is unbelievably bad. They don’t defend. They always waste their MP immediately even after changing Tactics. This can make the battles incredibly frustrating.

The game’s fun comes from sidequests. It is fun to explore and their Merit System is one of the best sidequest systems I’ve played. You can use your sidequest successes to purchase helpful aids that will help in the main storyline. While the sidequests are fun, the main story is incredibly shallow. There is a ton of handholding and a lot of unnecessary dialogue.

Overall, I found its flaws too much to continue and Ni No Kuni is one of the most disappointing games I’ve played in awhile.
  15. Feb 13, 2014
    First platinated game in my career, a stunning work, a piece of art, the only bad part is the IA, bad bad IA system, not only for foes. but the vote is still 10/10 for me.
  16. Feb 12, 2014
    The worst AI to grace a video game in at least the past decade ruins what would otherwise be a fantastic story with memorable characters. The greatest challenge you'll face in this game involves getting your AI team-mates to co-operate and act according to the vague tactics you select for them. Boss battles come down to winning or losing based on your ability to outrun your own companions and get a golden orb before they can waste it.

The only thing worse than a genuinely bad game, is what could easily have been an incredible game ruined by one core aspect of the gameplay.
  17. Feb 11, 2014
    I have just signed up to Metacritic to say my bit on this game. So i can watch most types of movies, play games etc and mostly ignore preconceptions based on others opinions, but i can honestly say, i feel like i was a child playing game. All the way from having my hand held through even the most simplest tasks, the awful linear way the gameplay is formulated to the boring, slightly (well, mostly) frustrating battle system. I read a fair amount of reviews from all you people and generally accepted that it's not for everyone and some are far more particular about what they are looking for in a game. I know, or even care, little for some of the things that piss people off in games. but i feel cheated by this one. Nothing was AMAZING to me. It looks good, the music is nice, the constant text boxes, the slow interactions got to me. I feel better about writing this now, haha. I'm going to delete this game from my memory and hard drive and go back to FFX. Expand
  18. Feb 8, 2014
    Ideal para jugar con un pequeño a tu lado, es como una pelicula de los estudios ghibli, no hace falta casi subir de nivel, farmear, que no lo soporto, todo radica en tu habilidad para combinar tus personajes, hechizos... Y bueno, es que es precioso, para llorar.
  19. Feb 1, 2014
    I had never really been a fan of JRPG's until I played Ni No Kuni. I was interested in the game due to the affiliation with Studio Ghibli (who I am a massive fan of). From the moment the game loads up and the title screen appears accompanied by the magical soundtrack composed by Studio Ghibli composer Joe Hisaishi , you can tell this game is going to be special.

The story follows Oliver
    who along with his Fairy companion Mr Drippy (a creature with a lantern attached to his long nose and a Welsh accent) as they travel to Mr Drippy’s world on a quest to save Oliver’s Mother from the White Witch and her second in command Shadar. Along the way they meet a cast of colourful characters, allies and enemies across a massive world, towns and many challenging dungeons. The combat is tight and works perfectly. The battles are fun and at times extremely challenging. They play out kind of like Pokemon battles as you collect creatures called familiars who you can level up and use in battle. There are many to find and tame across the world.

The game has a terrific story quest which is exciting, funny and sometimes extremely moving. The end had me and my seven year old Daughter in tears. The bosses are imaginative and really fun to beat. And the cut scenes are beautifully drawn.

The biggest joy for me was wondering around a world straight out of a Studio Ghibli film. The graphics are absolutely beautiful. The attention to detail makes you feel as if you really are in another world. The soundtrack throughout is stunning. The game takes around 100 plus hours to complete and do all side quests and bounty hunts. By completing these you are heavily rewarded. And even after the main story is completed you still have tons to do.

I could go on and on about how genius this game is. Just play it, you will not be disappointed. I really hope there is a follow up or a re-release on the PS4. This game is truly magical. It is a great memory to share with my daughter and we still go back and play hunting for Toko Toko and levelling up familiars even though we have beaten the whole game.

A true masterpiece.
  20. Jan 27, 2014
    Although I haven't played this game to the end, I must say that this is an extremely good game! So far I have played a little over seven hours, and that time has just passed by as if it was only an hour. Firstly, the graphics are perhaps not over the top, but the artistic value of this game makes everything worthwhile. Second, the story and the lore of the game is something that I fall deep into every time I open the in-game book and I can easily use 30 minutes in there. Thirdly, the gameplay in itself is perhaps not as original as one could hope for. But, if you like Pokemon and Spirited Away you're gonna love this game.
    All this together makes an experience that is so extremely refreshing and entertaining. I can't stop playing this game and I actually have to set an alarm for when I need to stop playing (sic!). I would recommend this game to everyone; kids as well as adults!!!
  21. Jan 27, 2014
    Okay, to start off, Ni No Kuni is an amazing game...for the genre. It's one of those games that is really hit or miss depending on your gameplay preference. For a JRPG, it's visually stunning and truly brings what. Studio Ghibli has generously offered for years, which is a little special attachment you feel with the characters . The story is well written, though some aspects of it are childish and the game seems childish . For example, your main partner pretty much walks you through the same things (only some things ) endlessly. As for some who say they don't like the gameplay, it is not a fast paced action FPS. It's a JRPG, like FF. If you liked Final Fantasy or still do, this games play style will really speak to you. On to the actual game play review : It's an enclosed area that throws you and an opponent into a fight and it really has no super hard tactics. You can have up to three Familiars, which are beasts who you can eventually collect. Your human partners are not the brightest and as stated before, do not defend. Your MP ( magic or mana points and HP (health points) are critically the heart of all battle systems. If you play as the main character and run out of MP against a hard boss and you're done. But I think this adds to the difficulty and satisfaction of finally beating that one boss you're stuck on. Most games today are missing that feeling of childhood innocence and some difficulty. The music and monsters alone are enough for anyone to fall in love , and with anime cutscenes you can't really get much more Ghibli in a game. All in all , this may seem like a game for around ten and under, but it really can be enjoyed by anyone. With some minor profanity in the Japanese subtitles, it may seem offensive to some parents. It isn't bad though, and I doubt the English dubbed version has swearing . But this game doesn't need blood or swearing to make it fun, and I love it . So for any. JRpG fans or newcomers, I highly recommend this and for its in depth story, soundtrack , traditional gameplay , and moving characters . Expand
  22. Jan 24, 2014
    This is my honest review of Ni No Kuni. All my other reviews used to be really long but Metacritic's maximum text limits me. I haven't finished the game yet but I am roughly pass half of the game. Pros: - The gameplay has some depth to it( It's pokemon that is done right) - The visuals are great giving out that Level 5 feeling to it with Studio Ghibli's legendary animations. - The music is absolutely fantastic. I expect no less from Joe Hisashi.
    - beautiful backgrounds and world. Each place is great and the music helped fuel the imagination.

Cons:
    - The predictable and simple plot. I could tell what the was going to happen before anything happened.
    - The combat UI is not intuitive, It was quite frustrating even worse when you receive the next party member. The fact that you get party commands late in the game is unacceptable. Made boss fights frustrating because your A.I teammates were pretty dumb. Plus some monsters were missing abilities or out-of-place abilities like evade or block.
    - Metamorphosis lowers your monster to level 1, this is dumb and causes more grinding Text dialogue is fine to use but make it consistent and this case it was lazy. Text dialogue should only be used as when talking with locals or accepting quests, voiced should be only for story dialogues. Animated cut scenes are too short and cut off really abruptly making it look awkward.

Okay I might have more Cons than Pros. You might think I hate this game but I don't. I really enjoyed playing it, and I am already use to the JRPG formula so I didn't have too much problem with grinding. If you hate JRPG then this won't really win you over unless you just want to see Studio Ghibli's animated works. But if you like both JRPG and Studio Ghibli then pick this up, the gameplay is pretty good. This is one of my favourite JRPG games with games like Persona 4 Golden, Final Fantasy X. It just has weird questionable design choices; it is visually appealing but mechanically unappealing .
  23. Jan 22, 2014
    Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch brings back the old and familiar elements of the RPG genre and puts a coat of new and refreshing paint on it. The story of Oliver going to another world to find a way to bring his mom back to life is a touching and inspiring story for the game. You meet a lot of interesting characters on the way, but the most interesting of the bunch is the first one you meet in the game, Drippy. The game play is 100% a turned-based RPG with a little Pokemon mixed in. You go around the world doing missions, fighting enemies, and collecting familiars to fight along side you on your journey. The game might seem easy at first, but you might need to level grind every once in a while. The game is also really long, if you want to see everything the game has to offer, it is around 60 hours of RPG goodness. The graphics and art style of the game are its unique qualities and stand out against the other RPGs that come out today. Especially the animated cut scenes are beautiful and I wish there were more in the game. Ni No Kuni brought me back to my younger self when I played games and all the joys of just exploring a wonderfully crafted world and having fun. Expand
  24. Jan 15, 2014
    The only thing keeping this game from being a perfect 10 is the fact that your party AI is atrocious, and will get you killed through means outside of your control. That's the most frustrating experience in the game, but fortunately, you can usually solo your way through tough fights if you're good enough, making the problem negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Otherwise, it's a
    modern masterpiece. Far superior to the Final Fantasies of today--it's as though the torch has been passed, and all it took was a fresh set of eyes and hands to produce the kinds of games that we thought could never be again. Expand
  25. Jan 2, 2014
    I'd give this a 9 but thought I should balance out the 0's. The game is great. Like many have stated, the main downside is the terrible human companion AI, but really, it only bothered me slightly.

Love the story, the art style, and the gameplay. Easily in my top 5 JRPG's.
  26. Dec 30, 2013
    Game: Ni No Kuni Wrath of the White Witch Genre: RPG Developer: Level 5/Studio Ghibli System: Playstation 3 (PS3) Total Score: 85/100 Value Score: 8.5/10 • Story: 10/10 • Characters: 7/10 • GamePlay: 6/10 • Graphics: 10/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 10/10 • Length: 10/10 • Replay Value: 5/10 • Player Value: 7/10 Pros +Great well made story with a lot of cliches that were actually well done and werent awkward
    +Colorful cast of main characters
    +A lot of different gameplay mechanics not often seen in RPGs. Magical system is one of the best seen in RPGs.
    +A lot of additional non-story things to do such as the casino, the coliseum, etc.
    +Studio Ghibli making the art style and design makes this game a beautiful masterpiece
    +Voice acting was well made along with the sound effects well done
    +Musical score is as amazing as the art style and design
    +Lengthy storyline

Cons
    -AI is terrible, they dont even defend and sometimes they stop using their familiars even if they have a reserve.
    -Strategy Tactics are pretty much useless, you'll be focusing more on All Out Attack or All Out Defense.
    -Familiar choices are limited, stale and repetitive
    -Too many fetch quests and walking back and forth
    - Unsure whether it was intentional or not but there are horrible delays when using items and sometimes the characters and their familiars stop (uncommon though).
    -A Common issue seen in most RPGs that use action RPG elements is the fact that sometimes familiars/characters attack or use a item but it sometimes do not go through or miss completely.
  27. Dec 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have played it for about 6-8hours, something like that, and I must say, this is one great RPG. I have a few issues with it though: The respawning of enemies will end up sending you into a lot of fights you would rather not have, especially in the beginning, and it can be quite tedious, they should either remove the respawn or lengthen it considerably, for my taste. The abilities you use in the world, outside combat, are all cool and I like the ideas behind the spells and abilities, but, at this point, it feels like they are too coincidental (oh this dude needs some enthusiasm, oh look there is someone right next to the person with alot of it), and that kind of diminish the feel of it a bit.
    Also the Gateway spell seems weird, in the beginning it is stated that it needs a lot of space to be cast, but after the first time you can pretty much cast it anywhere you want (haven't cast it anywhere yet where I was told it wouldn't work).
    Could do with some more voice acting, the ticking sound of the letters being typed in accordance with the characters mimicking the words is annoying, would be preferrable if it all was voice acted. The voice acting when it is there, is excellent.
    The graphics are good technically, it is definitely not an ugly gem, but the true pleasure comes from the games aesthetics. If you miss the old hand drawn cartoons and would like to play a game that look hand drawn, this is it. I for one find this very charming, and very different.
    I hear that it is very long, and I dont think im even 10% through it yet, so you will definitely get your moneys worth of entertainment. Story wise it seems, so far, to be a pearl, so that will keep you entertained throughout.
  28. Dec 27, 2013
    Amazing game! Beautiful graphics, great music and interesting storyline. I'm really happy that you can choose original voice acting in japanese. Love it~!
  29. Dec 25, 2013
    I'm a mid-twenties man who just emerged from forty hours in Ni No Kuni. If I was ten years younger and it was my first JRPG, it might well have been the best game ever. But there is so much grinding, so many elements I've seen exactly like this before. The first two hours introduced the story magically, touchingly, worthwhile-y, but were also way too easy. The battles became hard during the game, and even on the easiest difficulty, I had plenty of challenge. The 'Pokemon' aspect seems like a gimmick for much of the game, but when you play quests that ask you to find specific monsters, it makes a whole lotta sense. The environments are not very lively, since apparently they were designed to fit on a Nintendo 3DS cartridge or something. So it's definitely not a system-stretcher. But I loved the story, I loved how it taught morales every few hours and contained a lot of (common) wisdom in the greater theme. I loved the translation work, where especially "flipping" has become my new favorite alternative to 'freaking', or 'f***ing'... The meow-ifications of the cats' vocabulary, and the extreme amount of puns (the skeletons that say "having the time of my death" etc) were absolutely wonderful. Scenery and places and characters are all Ghibli magic. The only thing that weighs the title down is the triviality of the grinding/travelling, and how many elements are lifted from earlier titles of the genre. Still, what a wonderful game, at places! It's a true adventure of rich imagination. Too bad the game mechanics aren't as imaginative. Expand
  30. Dec 20, 2013
    One of the best RPGs that I have ever played. Ni no Kuni is a beautiful mixture of the traditional JRPG combined with gorgeous graphics, a wonderful story, interesting cast of characters and thoughtful gameplay.

1. Ni No Kuni offers players an experience unlike almost any other RPG. At once, you are transported back to the innocence of a childhood filled with monsters, magic, and mysticism; but at the same time you find yourself immersed in an emotional story about a protagonist dealing with his innermost emotions.
  2. Apr 11, 2013
    The entertaining battles and the resolutions of plot threads as the game progressed toward the final credits were worth paying the cost of a slow start to the gameplay. This is a game that we'll be talking about for years to come, and I'm happy to have played it.
  3. Apr 1, 2013
    Despite the delayed journey to the West, Ni No Kuni is definitely a title you should at least give a chance. There is a demo up on PSN that you can go ahead and download, and once you get used to the combat system and mechanics of the game, you’ll be treated to an adventure like no other.