8.6

1. Jan 22, 2013
    I picked this up at midnight and I was amazed by nearly every aspect of the game so far. The story is beautiful and heartbreaking so far. I am really enjoying something that square enix forgot about and that is EXPLORATION!!!!!!!!! New gen RPGS are just hallways or sandbox games. This really brings back memories of psone style RPGS when you can explore a world map. I have 100s of games across psone, ps2, ps3, psp, dreamcast, saturn and wii. And even though I've only played Ni No Kuni for a few hours. It is by far the best jrpg NO best of any rpg this gen for sure. Doesn't matter how it ends I've had more fun with the first few hours of this game then 100s of hours spent on others. This game needs to be a best seller so game designers will stop making every game with guns. Don't get me wrong I love killzone but FPS is getting OLD!!!! I hope this brings new life into the game industry that has been costing on crap for too long. Expand
  2. Jan 22, 2013
    I must say it is a wonderful storytelling with a nice gameplay never seen in a J-RPG from playstation 3, it makes rememeber the golden era of the J-RPG from psone.
  3. Jan 22, 2013
    I just want to say than you Studio Ghibli & Level 5 thanks for give us this masterpiece !!!
    The colors, the music, the battles, what a wonderful day am having.....
  4. Jan 22, 2013
    You heard and read all the good about this game. So i just want to make a brief review. The Good: A nostalgic feeling come through your bone, and stay inside your body when you playing Ni No Kuni. The artwork, the soundtrack, the gameplay, the puzzle, and the world map.. All of that make you feel like you are playing modified old JRPG. Everything is just right. The one that should be Good:
    There are two things that i think it can be improved. Which are the AI of the human character that we are not controlled.
    They should be smarter. And the AI option is limited. I wish to have more option but not as complex as FF XII.
    Because of that, the player really has to watch the other character really well not consuming a lot of MP which are very precious or dying.
    Also, it should be better if there is online feature like Familiar Battle across the globe. We can level up the Familiar and do the battle and tournament. It will make the longevity of this game longer and more fun. That's the only complaint of this game.

Conclusion:
    My score is 10/10. It doesn't mean it is perfect game. Nothing in this world is perfect. I guarantee you.
    Despite of no online feature and smarter AI, as a whole, Ni No Kuni is come with the right ingredients to really satisfy my JRPG hunger.
    So why do you still here? Go and buy this masterpiece.. :)
  5. Jan 30, 2013
    Ni No Kuni is a triumphant in the modern state of gaming. Gone is any shoehorned in online or dlc, you get the complete package from the start. The game is simply gorgeous, with superb ingame graphics, stellar audio, tip tier voice acting (english and japanese) and high quality ghibli goodness cinematics. The game is just fun to play, igniting a sense of happiness and wonder while playing. You could just leave the menu running to hear the music. This is a game worthy of buying a ps3 for, its just simply flawless. If you like rpgs you need to own this game, if you like the game journey you need to own this game, if you love studio ghibli you need to own this game, if you love orchestral scores you need to own this game. Just buy it! Expand
  6. Jan 22, 2013
    The ultimate collaboration between two of the most loved JRPGs, Pokemon and Final Fantasy. Explore till you can't explore anymore; capture more than 300 Familiars (similar to Pokemon); take on the hours and hours of side-quests; fall in love with a story that's sure to warm even the darkest of hearts; gaze at graphics and scenes that will stop anyone in their tracks that manages to glance at the screen; and best of all, throw yourself into a battle system that will feel like a breath of fresh air (reminiscent of a Tales game).

Truly a game that should not be missed by anyone that considers themselves a fan of video games and RPGs.
  7. Jan 23, 2013
    Normally I don't play a game all the way into the night on a workday but I did for Ni No Kuni. The story, polish, combat, difficulty, mechanics are all very well executed. The game also introduces all its mechanics as part of the natural logical story progression and as the mechanics and story expands the game is very engaging. With the the Studio Ghibli art direction and music Ni no Kuni is a top notch game. Expand
  8. Jan 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a less than mediocre game, it should have been a movie.

It starts out good, great voice acting, great art, great setting.

But within 5 hours it evolves into the most boring confusing and bugged jRPG I've ever played

The main story is about 40~ hours, the plot is about 3~ of those hours, and the rest is filler fetch quests.
    Half of the spells in the game are one time use, and the other half are not used at all.

To catch the familiars in the game, it is all random number generated, and usually requires 1-2 hours just to catch a regular familiar, and to catch the rare ones can require a 5+ hour investment.

The AI is atrocious, they will burn their MP to 0 if you let them cast spells, and if you don't let them cast spells they die due to not healing.
    You get two macros regarding AI, All-out-defense and All-Out-Offense.

All out defense is usually them bringing out the worst familiar to defend with, getting hit hard and dying, and they also never attack during this phase. All-out-attack is them bringing out the worst familiar to attack with and doing zero damage.

In specific there is a boss fight with a magic-weak boss, the AI will never use spells and continually dink the boss for 2-5 damage a hit.

The game holds your hand tutorial wise throughout, even the last boss has a mid-battle tutorial telling you to dodge. I understand this is an E game, but what happened to simply figuring things out?
    You get a spell called bridge, which by its' namesake, creates a bridge. This is great, I can cross chasms and canyons with ease! But drippy (The walking tutorial) literally spells out when to use the spell. Also there are ledges that make it apparent a bridge would go here. They may as well just removed the spell entirely and just put the bridge there.

Also there is a feature which you must remove emotions from people and give them to those lacking. At first I think cool, healing people and figuring out who has what and help others! BUT, in literally EVERY occasion you need to do this, the game HIGHLIGHTS the emotion they have, and the emotion they need. What is the point? Just remove this entirely if the game is going to hold your hand every time. If one had to read the text and figure out what they had it'd be okay.

There are also huge overlooks with the gameplay. When performing alchemy you can mix-and-match items to create new ones, or use a formula, cool! But when you do find a formula thru mixing, IT DOESN'T ADD IT TO THE FORMULA LIST. An extreme annoyance. Also the path finding when attacking is atrocious, during one boss fight you spend the entire attack phase running around the monster who is continually turning, and you never get an attack in.

As said earlier, the game has 2-3 hours of full voice acting, but as you progress, it literally turns to about a 50:1 text to spoken ratio.
    This causes all character development to cease, and you lose immersion in the story.
    It's a good thing because the story jumps the shark halfway through, and starts contradicting itself and adding red herring plotlines every 5 minutes. It also never comes back to correct the plotholes, and the story is just utter trash. The characters are extremely forgetful. Oliver the protagonist starts out by losing his mother, and is fighting to save her. I was taken by this and loved it, but soon you get the other two main characters, who are about as entertaining as Dane Cook to someone with an IQ over 100.

The NPC who comes to save everyone in the end has literally no reason for existing, and is never explained. What is explained, is that this character (Pea) is brought to us by Gallus (The Wizard King). yet Gallus is an imaginary being who was thought up by Pea. I can't make this up. It's that bad.

The only thing that kept me playing was the art style.

Only giant fans of Level-5 and ghibli need play this, otherwise avoid at all costs if you are a JRPG fan. level-5 has released far superior titles to this.
  9. Feb 18, 2013
    An amazing game ruined by a horrific battle system.
    First off when you battle there are 2 computer controlled companions which help you out. Now, you can control them individually by freely switching back and forth between them and your main character or just let them do their own thing. But seeing as the game isn't turn based and the A.I is terrible I have a few BIG issues which kill the
    game for me (I have now stopped playing after 15 hours). Fighting normal battles isn't really an issue as just spamming the attack button seems to work pretty well. There isn't the tactical aspect i was hoping for like with turn based battles.
    The final straw came was whilst fighting a certain boss. And the things which really drive me crazy is when a Boss does a special move you HAVE to defend or evade otherwise you take massive damage, its just how the game is, the tutorial teaches you all about defending and it is vital to all boss battles. So image my joy when I defend the bosses special attacks to find that the other 2 computer controlled players NEVER defend or evade. So i'm constantly having to keep healing them which soon depletes your magic. An even bigger problem is when Ester, the female AI, runs out of MP instead of using a captured Familiar (aka Pokemon) to fight, she just runs up to the boss and starts attacking with her harp doing a really useful 1 damage per attack, all the while getting smashed by the boss.
    Its a real big shame. The graphics, sound, and different things to do are brilliant, i was really enjoying this game. There's so much to do, tons of side quests, you can make you own items, weapons, armour etc. Apparently there's a casino and a battle arena and all sorts of other stuff to do and i was really looking forward to it. If this game had turn-based battles like Final Fantasy 7, it may have possibly become my favourite RPG to date. I just hope they fire whoever it was who decided to have computer controlled team mates, and make a sequel with turn-based battles because this real time idea was a massive FAIL. I'm certain alot of these reviews where written after just a few hours of gameplay, and if I had written a review after just a few hours I would have also given a 9 or 10, the battle system at first is fine because you don't have any stupid A.I team mates to ruin your day. But once you have the A.I on your team that all changes. I suggest you have a read through of the critic reviews, but don't read the paid for 90-100 scores. Read up on the fighting in the "mixed" reviews for more info on the poor battle system. Good luck, if you can see past the shocking battle system then you're in for a treat! Why, oh why, isn't there a proper Pokemon game in this style on a console! Oh and one more thing, when your captured familiars (aka Pokemon) take damage your character takes damage, that's right they share the same HP and MP which also sucks big time!
  10. Feb 19, 2013
    The Good This game attempts to combine the monsters of Pokemon, epic world and scope of Final Fantasy, gameplay of Secret of Mana, and story of a movie like Spirited Away. It does a great job of wrapping these things up and creating a beautiful and eye-catching package. Sometimes making a good game isn't about pushing polygons or competitiveness. I really enjoyed the characters, environments, and story development in this game. It's nice to play a modern JRPG. The inclusion of anime scenes and voice talent also added to the experience. Overall, a great game worthy of investing time into. There are so many characters and creatures to discover and environments to roam around in. We need more games like this one! I had to borrow a PS3 to play this title and do not regret it.

The Bad Jack of all trades, master of none applies here. I found the familiar/monster designs to be rather lacking. It seems they took the good designs and played a DLC shell game with them across regions and retailers. The DLC creatures are much stronger than the ones in the normal game resulting in a major difficulty spike when you try to leave the first continent. This game could have really benefited from more appealing creatures to catch. Furthermore, the actual mechanics where you impress and tame creatures are unbelievably tedious. Metamorphosis resetting creature levels back to 1 is also very annoying. The combat seems to revolve around running away, restoring MP because it drains so quickly, and bumbling through switching to and from characters to keep the AI from failing to defend against attacks. Really tedious much of the time. The game also could have benefited from more voice acting rather than switching between anime, in-game animation, and wall of text mode. PS3-exclusivity also hurts this title by limiting its audience. They really should put together a Kickstarter campaign to get this game released on Steam for the PC.

Final Word If you're a fan of Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Secret of Mana, Breath of Fire, Chrono Trigger, or other JRPGs then you should definitely pick up Ni No Kuni. The wall of text dialogue, tedious battles, and frustrating AI may (but not necessarily!) deter everyone else.
  11. Feb 4, 2013
    I don't usually throw out 10s, infact this is the first ten im giving, and im proud to say that this game definitely deserves so!! Its so good that im surprised everytime I look at the metascore to see 86 out of 100, for this game does so little wrong. It basically is perfect in every aspect, from graphics to story and should of gotten a higher rating for I feel that it should be a game that competes for goty!! even with titles such as god of war, bioshock, the last of us, sly cooper, dead space, crisis 3, fifa 14 and more, I feel that it would take a miracle for this game to be beaten for game of the year!! Then again, all these titles are more then capable of doing so, yet I feel that this game is special for its storytelling and gameplay bring a different view on how games should be played, and it is the epitamy of legendary gaming!! I really hope this game is remembered for a long time for it is a wopper!! and I highly recommend everybody to buy this game for you almost certainly will enjoy it!! Expand
  12. Jan 22, 2013
    Game is very beautiful, awesome soundtrack, interesting and lengthy side/quests. A wide variety of images and spells. This is Studio Ghibli and that's enough.
  13. Jan 22, 2013
    AMAZING GAME!!! First game in a while I actually feel IS WORTH THE 60 BUCKS!!! THANK YOU STUDIO GHIBLI AND LEVEL-5!!!!!! If you have a PS3 BUY THIS GAME if you don't have a PS3 get one and BUY THIS GAME!
  14. Feb 9, 2013
    I usually stay well away from the JRPG genre,but since the beloved Studio Ghibli was heavily involved I gave this a chance.It turns out that Ni No Kuni is a truly wonderful game despite it's agonisingly slow start.It takes far too long to perform alchemy and fast travel as well as tapping through a large volume of fairly incidental text.The linear nature of the game is well hidden,but there nonetheless.However,It's beautiful and wonderous to behold.The familiars are varied and fun to use,but I would have liked them to involve more care.Simply equip them and feed them and they'll level up automatically even when not actually used in combat.The worst part of this game is the MP system.There are multiple ways to heal,but the only way to get MP is through coffee and leveling.Sometime you may drink 10 coffees is a single battle which is ridiculous.Though I'm quibbling a bit,I love it even though a JRPG can never match an open world RPG. Expand
  15. Jan 22, 2013
    if you had a mild interest in RPG's, this game is a MUST PLAY [and even if you dont, this is a game that almost anyone can pick up and enjoy]. Story? Fantastic. Gameplay? Familiar [no pun intended] but still fresh and fun. Animation? GREAT. You havent seen something dedicated so honestly and well done in a long while. If you are even slightly curios to play this, please PICK THIS UP. You will have a great time :) Expand
  16. Jan 24, 2013
    I was not entirely fond of the demo for this game. I feel it wasn't very well explained, and I felt I didn't get a good enough taste for the story. When the game came out I decided to give it a whirl on a whim since I was always a fan of jrpg's as a kid. It was one of the best video game decisions I've ever made. This game is amazing. If you own a PS3, buy it. Support more games like this coming out. Great story, great graphics/cinematics, fluid gameplay and controls. Intense battle sequences. Great orchestral score. No complaints at all. Masterpiece. Expand
  17. Jan 22, 2013
    I had huge expectations for this game and I was not disappointed, I have not played my Playstation 3 in about 1 year now because recently every console game has been really awful. Thank you level-5 for giving me hope in console gaming again. Beautiful game, everything is polished you can tell great minds worked on this piece. I wish more games like this would come out, I absolutely love JRPGs and this game is exactly why. Everything is simply perfect, the animation, music, absolutely beautiful. Thank you Level-5 and Studio Ghibli for this masterpiece. Expand
  18. Jan 22, 2013
    Don't listen to the naysayers this game is not just for a child. It is quite possibly the best jrpg of this generation and more entertaining than anything squareenix has dished out lately. The graphics are top notch. Prob the best celshaded game I've seen on ps3. The music is also nice and the cg is in a class of its own. I wont get too much into the story but that is also nicely done. The battle system is like tales of and pokemon mixed. Switching the monsters in and out of battle also reminds me of 13-2 a little. Familiars can evolve twice was they get to a certain level and you have great mobility in battles. This game seemlessly blends turnbased and realtime combat into what is nothing short of a masterpiece. The world map is similiar to the playstation final fantasy games and is highly detailed. You can cast spells later in game that build bridges and other things to get to areas you previously couldn't go. If you love jrpgs you owe it to yourself to try this. Collapse
  19. Jan 22, 2013
    amazing! ni no kuni is a true JRPG of new times that gives the genre justice. it gives you a beautiful story and gorgeous visuals all the while giving you a depth game play system. if JRPG's have been on the low as of late, then ni no kuni is one you will want to play to ignite the JRPG flame!
  20. Jan 22, 2013
    I will keep this short and sweet. This is an amazing game. The RPG genre has been desperately starved for the entirety of this generation; however, we finally have a game in the genre worth our time. Not only is Ni No Kuni visually amazing, but it also plays quite nicely. The combat start very basic, but becomes more nuanced the more you play. The story is strong; evocative but with a good sense of levity. If you were an RPG lover at some point, but lost interest in the genre during this generation, you need to go out and purchase this game, it will blow you away. However, this isn't only a purchase for those wanting a nostalgia high, this is an easy recommendation for damn near everyone. The only thing that could keep you from loving this game is significant prejudice; if you refuse to play colorful games that have a great deal of charm, then maybe you should skip this one. For everyone else, come join the journey, you won't regret it. Expand
  21. Jan 22, 2013
    Amazing game. Quirky characters and brings back the genre of JRPGs. Ignore people that down rate because of the "childish and not action oriented". This is what a JRPG is supposed to be. Don't confuse this with western RPGs because it is not. Turn based combat is very good. A slower start that I think is there to refresh players with how a JRPG is played. The pacing of difficulty is a little off but that's okay. It's a game that should take time and practice to master the combat system as the speed of encounters become much more difficult. Expand
  22. Jan 22, 2013
    Don't believe that for one second that this game is for children! This is a truly beautiful game with an amazing depth of story and combat that will rival all other JRPG'S that have come before it and then expanding upon it! Your eyes, ears, and heart will thank you for playing this game! So, do yourself a favor.
  23. Jan 22, 2013
    I made an account just to say, I didn't know how much I missed playing a damn good rpg until this game. So glad I went and bought it. Oozing quality out of every pore, and so much charm. It's all in the details, and this was made by people who actually care about every piece of the game being enjoyable, down to something as simple as still running forward when you move to the next screen while running around, even if the camera has moved so that the direction you were pushing the stick would no longer have you continuing to run the direction you were (in a typical game). You would think that's a given, but somewhere along the line games became more and more trashy, full of annoyances. This game is nothing but a pleasance. SO refreshing. Just play it dammit. See what real gaming's all about if you've never known of it before.  Expand
  24. Jan 27, 2013
    (This is a review for the JAPANESE version of this game.) For everyone learning Japanese and being on the intermediate level, this game is highly recommended. Apart from the superb quality of the game (as lots of others have already pointed out), I have to praise it for using Furigana all the time in the subtitles, making the game very accessible even for pre-JLPT-N2 learners.
  25. Jan 29, 2013
    This game is so freaking beautiful! The Sound, the graphics, the gameplay... all of it comes in a fluid and fitting package of awesomeness. I love this game.... really :D
  26. Jan 27, 2013
    not a fan of these types of games but gave this a shot and so far great game. mature story, simple yet challenging gameplay starts easy but definitely becomes more difficult. 15 hours in. honestly this game will have me try out other games in this genre with out being bias towards them. i say give it a shot and hopefully you enjoy it like i'm doing
  27. Jan 22, 2013
    Part of me wants to say that what Level-5 has done in Ni No Kuni is innovative. That it's an entirely new and unprecedented concept. However another part of me knows that this is the game that Square was supposed to make one day. It has everything that made me fall in love with video games in the heydays of Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger, plus all the right elements of a modern day rpg. The relatability of this game's simple and heart warming story vividly throw into focus everything that is wrong with the convoluted and downright bazaar themes of other modern JRPGs. There are no spiky hair cuts, feminine men, or ridiculous costumes to be found here. Just good old fashioned fun and narration wrapped in a visually striking bow. Expand
  28. Feb 10, 2013
    I've already spent nearly 55 hours playing this beautiful game and, what can I say, it has been such an incredible, pure j-rpg-ish experience! This game can easily be placed among the best games in the genre such as Final Fantasy VII. The game itself is amazing, the story, which one might consider childish or whatever, focuses on very prime aspects of human nature and its pure-hearted potential greatness and beauty, making the whole game-experience feel like a marvelous, yet simple, adventure. The game-play is entertaining, fights are pure fun, game gets more challenging with every hour spent in it. I think I don't even have to mention how amazing the Ni No Kuni's world looks, chapeau bas Studio Ghibli! Ladies and Gentlemen, this is the Game of the Generation. Expand
  29. Feb 6, 2013
    FIRST IMPRESSIONS I shall return to review this upon completion. Well I'm 9 hours in have only two familiars and am thoroughly enjoying this impressive JRPG. I'm still currently having my hand held through gameplay with new spells, responsibilities and tools being unlocked as I go which really contributes to the depth on offer here. Ni No Kuni IS an important JRPG because it demonstrates to the Japanese what western players love about the genre and this is being shown in sales and acclaim (though some western critics still stubbornly dismiss the gameplay and combat as dull). Personally I have always loved turn-based combat, and whilst the FF series lost this when square soft merged to become square-enix through awful ATB, Level-5 bring it back via Pokemon and form something that's fast, fluid and not a chore. Battles come and go so quickly that there's no tsk when an enemy forces you to engage. What's even better is the fact that if you grind for a while enemy encounters will generally lessen because the enemies no longer attack and instead will attempt to flee from a confrontation. This is a much welcomed move which really refines the combat and any qualms modern gamers may have with it. In terms of story, Ghibli has not been watered down that much, providing a fantastic coming-of-age tale that comes off as touching and mature. The cutesy animation may put players off, but for those who have always enjoyed Ghibli's output (myself included) there is really no excuse not to pick this up. The characters of Oliver and Mr Drippy are fresh, vivid and more importantly relatable, and the dialogue exchanges are humorous as well as informative if you're getting overwhelmed with the gameplay information. You're even provided with a pokedex type journal which allows you to view all the creatures you'll come across in the game, which includes video animations and information which can aid you in defeating them. Couple this with side quests aplenty, a beautiful world map to explore, towns with talkative inhabitants and some the gorgeous animated cutscenes and you have the recipe for the finest JRPG since Disgaea (just my opinion). Expand
  30. May 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Horrible, horrible jrpg, really. Read Ironsheik and and Nugs187 reviews, they say almost everything it should be said about this game. There are other issues though, like for example how useless and boring is all the "familiar capture thing" (there are hundreds of them and levelling up a familiar takes ages and almost all of them start at a very low level and they are useless anyway since you can beat the game by using always the same couple of familiars over and over, like I did), how cliched the game is (ie. first you explore the overworld on foot, then you can use a ship and finally you can fly on a dragon...how original, isn't it?), how the environments are really bad (fully decorated rooms in jrpgs are a standard since the snes era I think...try to enter a "castle" in ni no kuni, do you know what you'll find? A big empty room with a throne in the middle, I'm not kidding) and I could go on for hours but honestly this game doesn't deserve the effort. Shame on the developers that just took advantage of Studio Ghibli's collaboration trying (and succeeding) to sell a sub-standard game disguised as a "work of art".

P.S. All the above is valid if you are older than 10, while for little children, played with their parents, the game could be great.
  31. Jan 22, 2013

1. Ni No Kuni offers players an experience unlike almost any other RPG. At once, you are transported back to the innocence of a childhood filled with monsters, magic, and mysticism; but at the same time you find yourself immersed in an emotional story about a protagonist dealing with his innermost emotions.
  2. Apr 11, 2013
    The entertaining battles and the resolutions of plot threads as the game progressed toward the final credits were worth paying the cost of a slow start to the gameplay. This is a game that we'll be talking about for years to come, and I'm happy to have played it.
  3. Apr 1, 2013
    Despite the delayed journey to the West, Ni No Kuni is definitely a title you should at least give a chance. There is a demo up on PSN that you can go ahead and download, and once you get used to the combat system and mechanics of the game, you’ll be treated to an adventure like no other.