8.6

1. Feb 3, 2013
    It's just the beginning of the year and I'm already considering this a Game of the Year contender. Ni No Kuni is a love letter to the legendary traditional JRPGs like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Secret of Mana from the SNES days and probably one of the best games on the Playstation 3. From it's breathtaking visuals courtesy of Studio Ghibli, the satisfyingly lengthy playtime, the simple yet compelling story to its traditional yet deep gameplay, it was like the SNES never really went away. If you want to experience the glory days of the JRPG's, then look no further than Ni No Kuni. Expand
  2. Jan 25, 2013
    Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch could possibly be the Chrono Trigger of this generation. In the sense of being memorable and as a classic. Great all around.
  3. Mar 6, 2013
    We are 15 again (well, us 30 year olds), we are playing a game which lets us JUST PLAY. Thats it. I hit buttons, my chars develop. I look at a great bid land ahead of me and just walk. KNowing a simple something is there. I am young again.
  4. Jan 28, 2013
    This game is outstanding. It's an RPG that stands out more than any other to date on this current gen., and even rivals the old greats from the SNES/PSX eras. This game's story, visuals, characters, and all in all depth is insanely detailed and polished. Well worth the $60, almost a steal at that. The combat is a cross of what feels to me, FF 12 meets Dragon's Quest and Pokemon. Which is in no way a bad thing. Expand
  5. Feb 10, 2013
    Just finished it, and without giving spoilers I can safely say that you'd never feel stuck doing the same in this game. It constantly changes and will always feel fresh, with a paste and mechanisms that throw away that grinding feeling you get from other games from time to time. It starts off as rather strange "child-like" game, and gradually become more complex and appealing to adults as well, with beautiful music worthy its name. The improvement curve continues through the entire game. This is the best game in JRPG genre since Final Fantasy 7 in my view, and could in short be called a mix of FF, Pokémon and Harry Potter, and I for one have no love for the last one mentioned making the top score even more impressive. Expand
  6. Jan 29, 2013
    Wow, for years I've wanted to love new school games that go for the old 16 bit JRPG feel. Until now all contenders have fallen short due to one reason or another. Ni No Kuni is the perfect bled of that old familiar feel mixed with a dash of new school polish. From the minute you turn this game on you are greeted with a feeling of amazement. The amazing art work, by world renowned animators Studio Ghilbli, is simply amazing. Cell shading hasn't been done this perfectly (or should I say purrfectly, for all of the insiders) since Wind Waker concurred it earlier this century. That animation style along with a great sense of humor, heart string pulling emotional appeal, and a fantastic battle system place this game on many people's greatest of all time list (jrpg). While that may be slightly premature I will say that if your going to play one JRPG this console generation do yourself a favor and make it Ni No Kuni. Expand
  7. Dec 7, 2013
    A masterpiece of story telling. It provides a dash of unique gameplay with a solid base rpg we all know and love. When i started playing this my mind went wild as if i was a kid again exploring a new land with new people. The only things I can see them improving is adding a skip battle scenes and victory dances because it can be annoying if you just like to kill stuff. All that aside it still is better than any game i've played this year... The artwork/graphics is just simply amazing and such a pleasure to watch I do not know how many people have walked by and are like what are you watching. It's very hard to bring cartoons into gaming but Ni no kuni seems to do it flawlessly and to that it deserves a perfect score. Expand
  8. Jan 22, 2013
    AMAZING GAME!!! First game in a while I actually feel IS WORTH THE 60 BUCKS!!! THANK YOU STUDIO GHIBLI AND LEVEL-5!!!!!! If you have a PS3 BUY THIS GAME if you don't have a PS3 get one and BUY THIS GAME!
  9. Mar 6, 2013
    This game is real tidy like, flippen heck mun anyone who eint like it must be broken hearted. Don't worry Ollie-boy will sort em out, but not without the help of the lord high lord of the fairies o' course.
  10. Jan 22, 2013
    if you had a mild interest in RPG's, this game is a MUST PLAY [and even if you dont, this is a game that almost anyone can pick up and enjoy]. Story? Fantastic. Gameplay? Familiar [no pun intended] but still fresh and fun. Animation? GREAT. You havent seen something dedicated so honestly and well done in a long while. If you are even slightly curios to play this, please PICK THIS UP. You will have a great time :) Expand
  11. Jan 28, 2013
    I wasn't too sure about this game. I got 4 hours into it and wondered if I had made a mistake dropping 60 bones and not waiting for a price drop. I pushed through it for a few more hours based off of story alone. About the 9th hour, I was hooked. I learned the benefits and rewards of countering and defending. This game has it all! Story, graphics, and gameplay! I hate JRPGs, but this should be given a chance by anyone who even casually considers themselves a gamer. Don't be fooled by the nature of the game. This is NOT for kids when it comes to difficulty. The game is deep and takes some thought. If you try to rush through it (like I did at first) the game will punish you. If you pick this game up, dedicate yourself to experiencing it fully. This game gave me a reason again to use my PS3 for something other than a bluray player. Would I recommend buying a PS3 for this game alone... Yes! (Because you get a great bluray player as well as one of the best games ever made.) IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY PLAYING IT and you are bored, give it a few more hours and you will love it! Expand
  12. Jan 28, 2013
    Rouge Galaxy was one of the best RPGs I ever played which was made by Level 5 and they have done it again .. What a fantastic game! This is clearly the best Jrpg beside Xenoblade .
  13. Jan 23, 2013
    Did you miss the epic Japanese RPGS of the PS1 PS2 and snes days? then this game is for you, this along whit Xenoblade, valkyria chornicles and Last story are on par whit the best JRPGs of the past and the best WRPGs of today like skyrim or mass effect.
  14. Jan 24, 2013
    I was not entirely fond of the demo for this game. I feel it wasn't very well explained, and I felt I didn't get a good enough taste for the story. When the game came out I decided to give it a whirl on a whim since I was always a fan of jrpg's as a kid. It was one of the best video game decisions I've ever made. This game is amazing. If you own a PS3, buy it. Support more games like this coming out. Great story, great graphics/cinematics, fluid gameplay and controls. Intense battle sequences. Great orchestral score. No complaints at all. Masterpiece. Expand
  15. Feb 4, 2013
    Ni No Kuni is one of the best JRPG'S I have ever played. Combining Studio Ghibli's incredible imagination with Level 5's polished and fun gameplay mechanics, Ni No Kuni feels like the JRPG'S of old while revitalizing a dying genre. It feels like Dragon Quest VIII (a personal favorite), mixing elements of Tales, Star Ocean, and Pokemon into one pot of pure bliss. And man, how I've missed an overworld!

The story and world sucks you in right quick, creating a sense of charm and wonder right from the get go. The opening is a tear-jerker, creating a sense of desperation and sympathy for our hero, Oliver. More than anything, Studio Ghibli's incredible ability to create such unique and real emotion in such with their animation is one of their strengths, and combining that with Level 5's sincere approach to the story, it works like magic. Right away, you meet Drippy, one of the most incredibly charismatic and lovable characters to ever grace a video game. The writing and script is top notch, filled with hilarious dialogue and wonderful characters (that feature some of the best English Dubs of any JRPG translation that I've played).

Battles play out like a synthesis of Tales meets Pokemon. You gain control of familiars, small creates that have attributes (sword and shield, tank, fire, etc.) that do your fighting in battles. You can also take control of Oliver to command him to use various tools such as the ability to use items, heal, and run. Battles begin fairly simple with you fighting one to two monsters, but the progression exponentially increases and by no time battles become chaotic affairs that will test your wit and reflexes. The combat is incredibly addicting, rewarding constant interaction and movement on the battlefield. One of the best features is the real time aspect of the battle system. If you command your familiars to attack, defend, and use tricks (or special abilities) at the right time HP and MP orbs fall from your enemies, offering a quick heal. It sounds like a simple mechanic, but it keeps you constantly engaged while in combat, offering a fun, fast paced and exciting tug of war against your enemies.

Story telling is, to put it simply, reminiscent of Studio Ghibli. A hero going on an epic adventure to save his kingdom, healing the people of the land of their broken-heartedness, all while trying to save your mother sounds, walks, and talks just a Ghibli presentation shoud. NNK can be enjoyed by a younger audience, but the elements here are consistently dark and mature, which comes as a major relief. Keeping it spoiler free, the game engages you quite well. It's a simple yet emotionally effective story that grabs you right away.

Also of note is Joe Hisaishi's majestic, sweeping, and beautiful original score. Frequent collaborator with Studio Ghibli, Joe was (gladly) offered to compose the score, and man is it incredible. The overworld theme is still reverberating in my head as I write this. It captures the moods with gorgeous melodies and memorable themes. It allows you to explore and enjoy an already tremendous achievement all the more. They seriously need to release the PS3 soundtrack, because this is as good as JRPG and video game scores get.

And speaking of outside influence, Studio Ghibli made a significant contribution in the art department. There are original animated cut scenes produced by Ghibli themselves (namely Momose) which are wonderful (especially in HD!), the monsters are original and cute, and the gorgeous colors used in the backdrops provoke the imagination. Everything is here, and it feels like Ghibli production combined with Level 5's JRPG mastery in full force.

If there are any complaints (and these are minor grievances) it's that the draw distance is nothing to write home about. On the world map you'll see mountains "peel" in in the distance, and foliage in more graphically intensive areas obviously pops in as you walk through the areas. I also have experienced one or two werid glitches in which I had to restart the game. Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is sincere, wholesome, and most importantly FUN entertainment that might just be the last push the JRPG genre needs to get its legs again in a predominantly "bald-space-dude-marine-bro" controlled market.

Part homage to JRPG's and part fan service for Studio Ghibli lovers, it's hard not to like Ni No Kuni. If you love RPG's/JRPG's, this is a no brainer. If you love Studio Ghibli, this is a no brainer. If you've been looking to jump into the genre, you won't get a better chance. Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is a steroid shot to the imagination, giving players freedom to explore one of the best adventures this console generation. It's a masterpiece that won't soon be forgotten.
  16. Jan 22, 2013
    I had huge expectations for this game and I was not disappointed, I have not played my Playstation 3 in about 1 year now because recently every console game has been really awful. Thank you level-5 for giving me hope in console gaming again. Beautiful game, everything is polished you can tell great minds worked on this piece. I wish more games like this would come out, I absolutely love JRPGs and this game is exactly why. Everything is simply perfect, the animation, music, absolutely beautiful. Thank you Level-5 and Studio Ghibli for this masterpiece. Expand
  17. Jan 23, 2013
    Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch has been the sole reason I bought a PlayStation 3 again. I had very nasty spat with Sony's warranty department, and I cut all my ties with the company product wise. However, after see the demo of Ni no Kuni at a friends house I could not stay way the visuals, sound, and story and gameplay were nothing short of amazing. Being an avid jRPG gamer I thought this was going to be one of those soulless run of the mill jRPGs but I was never so wrong in my life. Call me shallow, narrow minded, or plain American but this is one of the most beautiful games you will come across any platform. I would describe this game as a mixture of Zelda/TheWhitcher2/DarkCloud2/DragonQuestVIII/FinalFantasy9. I know that may sound a little bit on the crazy and broad side, but its not a simple Tales style game where its all Japanese anamai with flat flat textures. This games simplest environments are so rich I spent 20 minutes in the first segment watching the shadow transitions I know I have a problem. A close friend of my who is in the industry says that is a very strong singe of quality at least in the visual department, and thereafter I saw nothing that wasn't just better than the thing before it. Sound... well its on par with FF3,FF7, and FF8 need I say more?

Story has been an utter surprise for me to be honest. It starts with a strong visual the loss of a young boys mother, and not to spoil whats ahead it is truly a instrument that will drive you to battle your way through boss battle after boss battle. To me the game play has never been so well blended with the Story the sidekick Drippy is the best videogame side kick ever, and I mean it he is the Robin to Batman the Biden to Obama you can not go with out him. When ever there is a portion of story delivered there is a mechanic involved, and its not a silly one time use and move on, but rather its a tool for the entire adventure. Needless to say they do not just keep throwing stuff at you but rather spread it out well. I highly recommend this game to any jRPG, Zelda, The Whitcher, or heck story/plot driven fan. Combat, crafting, and everything in between it explain very clearly and you wont feel lost or overwhelming. I had only a few minutes to write this review and my poor writing shows, but I hope you can see my passion, love, and desire to share this game with as many as I can and to Level 5 thank you, thank you very much.
  18. Oct 20, 2013
    Ni no Kuni is an example of fine art, there a lot of things to do in the vast universe of this game. 80 hours of adventures, with amazing music and sensibility. Presentation: A amazing story, full of emotive moments, excellent interface and a great menu. Graphics: Stunning, the art is incredible, highly detailed landscapes, cities and characters well designed. Gameplay: the great feature is the liberty of the combats with a tons of customization and options, however there are some little problems with the allies, but nothing important.

Sound: Nice music form Tokyo's philharmonic orchestra, great voices and sound effects

Endless appeal: A true masterpiece, this game is amazing, You don't get wrong, this game is not only for youngest people, is for adults too. I have 29 and I enjoy the game.

Ni No Kuni is a masterpiece with 80+ hours of gameplay and at the PSN store is available only 20 bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have a PS3, then you must play it, What are you waiting for?
  19. Jan 22, 2013
    I picked this up at midnight and I was amazed by nearly every aspect of the game so far. The story is beautiful and heartbreaking so far. I am really enjoying something that square enix forgot about and that is EXPLORATION!!!!!!!!! New gen RPGS are just hallways or sandbox games. This really brings back memories of psone style RPGS when you can explore a world map. I have 100s of games across psone, ps2, ps3, psp, dreamcast, saturn and wii. And even though I've only played Ni No Kuni for a few hours. It is by far the best jrpg NO best of any rpg this gen for sure. Doesn't matter how it ends I've had more fun with the first few hours of this game then 100s of hours spent on others. This game needs to be a best seller so game designers will stop making every game with guns. Don't get me wrong I love killzone but FPS is getting OLD!!!! I hope this brings new life into the game industry that has been costing on crap for too long. Expand
  20. Aug 25, 2013
    Ni No Kuni...Where were you when I needed you most?
    It's months after months of nothing but a mindless now-unbalanced glitchy Battlefield 3 syndrome ruining my health both physically and mentally.
    Always been waiting for a game to widen my gaming perspective than just Shooters and fast cars then here comes Ni No Kuni to the rescue 7 months after the release i finally found you...
    I'll
    get to point then...NI No Kuni is an awesome JRPG game that is beautiful,compelling,fun,touching,super lengthy (as any JRPG should be) surprisingly accessible yes it not what you call no-brainer from the get-go but it's accessible enough for anyone new to the genre that willing to try something new and out of their comfort zone.
    And yes i'm completely new to Role playing genre let alone a sacred JRPG genre so i'm not gonna comment on the gameplay turn based RPG stuff but i can tell you i thought i'm gonna get bored but i wasn't i just want to keep playing it!
    Soundtrack is simply epic and beautiful goes nothing dull nothing over dramatic.
    I'm not gonna spoil you with any characters or story i'll just say that if you're into something that is simple,effective and down right cute then this is game is for you!
    I can go on and on how good this game is despite it's my first JRPG game let's just say this game simply "Give Heart" to me and the hope to the Japanese gaming scene and even give the faith in the hope of a brighter future of gaming without too much "guns in your face"
  21. Jan 29, 2013
    Just an amazing title. It plays to the strength of what JRPGs used to be. It used to be about exploration and incredible characters, not linear wannabe movies. Ni no Kuni is an exceptional game for the PS3, and if you're on the fence, you should be ashamed of yourself.
  22. Jan 29, 2013
    This game is a treat, it is like a wonderful blend of Pokemon and DragonQuest IX. It has the familiar collecting and evolving of pokemon and the wonderfully campy humor and exploration aspects of DragonQuest IX....wrapped up in a lovely anime movie.
  23. Jan 22, 2013
    Don't listen to the naysayers this game is not just for a child. It is quite possibly the best jrpg of this generation and more entertaining than anything squareenix has dished out lately. The graphics are top notch. Prob the best celshaded game I've seen on ps3. The music is also nice and the cg is in a class of its own. I wont get too much into the story but that is also nicely done. The battle system is like tales of and pokemon mixed. Switching the monsters in and out of battle also reminds me of 13-2 a little. Familiars can evolve twice was they get to a certain level and you have great mobility in battles. This game seemlessly blends turnbased and realtime combat into what is nothing short of a masterpiece. The world map is similiar to the playstation final fantasy games and is highly detailed. You can cast spells later in game that build bridges and other things to get to areas you previously couldn't go. If you love jrpgs you owe it to yourself to try this. Expand
  24. Oct 20, 2013
    The best RPG I've played in a long time. Really well done, storyline was excellent. Worth a try. Never get bored with so much to do in the game with sidequests etc.
  25. Jan 28, 2013
    This is my grandson's first RPG, and ,of course, he delights in the traditional elements of exploration,
    discovery, combat, progression,etc. Yes, it's enchanting; the art direction is stellar! For me though, the virtues of love, courage, enthusiasm, kindness,etc. that Ni No Kuni instill are so humane and wise in their teaching. This is too rare in any form of entertainment, but because
    gaming is uniquely
    interactive, the experience becomes even more memorable and profound. Indisputably, this is art
    in its most exemplary and sublime form. Too often, gaming is dismissed as mindless violence, but it
    is capable of soaring to so much more.
  26. Jan 22, 2013
    amazing! ni no kuni is a true JRPG of new times that gives the genre justice. it gives you a beautiful story and gorgeous visuals all the while giving you a depth game play system. if JRPG's have been on the low as of late, then ni no kuni is one you will want to play to ignite the JRPG flame!
  27. Jan 27, 2013
    not a fan of these types of games but gave this a shot and so far great game. mature story, simple yet challenging gameplay starts easy but definitely becomes more difficult. 15 hours in. honestly this game will have me try out other games in this genre with out being bias towards them. i say give it a shot and hopefully you enjoy it like i'm doing
  28. Jan 23, 2013
    Normally I don't play a game all the way into the night on a workday but I did for Ni No Kuni. The story, polish, combat, difficulty, mechanics are all very well executed. The game also introduces all its mechanics as part of the natural logical story progression and as the mechanics and story expands the game is very engaging. With the the Studio Ghibli art direction and music Ni no Kuni is a top notch game. Expand
  29. Feb 19, 2013
    This has got to be the best PS3 JRPG. Story, Graphics, Gameplay, and Voice are all spot on. I hope developers learn something from this and try a little bit more on how things should be done.
  30. Mar 2, 2013
    A real masterpiece. I love JRPGs, but this one is truly a gem. The story is wonderful, touching, masterfully written and beautifully told. The game is great, ever changing, with a fantastic world to live in. If you love JRPGs or manga/anime you really can't lose this gem. I bought the PS3 only for this. It's gorgeous, it's poetic, it's an unforgettable masterpiece. Thanks Level 5.
  31. Jan 31, 2013
    Game is awesome. It borrows many properties from great jrpg games and invents new ones.This game is a great to play. Story is good and goes on in great speed. Battle system has good variety and tempo. Monster collecting is one of many great addicting qualities. If you like long jrpgs, good stories, great and vibrant graphics and smooth battle systems, you will love this game. It is really the best jrpgs of this generation. Drippy is fun character 4 real Expand
  32. Feb 4, 2013
    I don't usually throw out 10s, infact this is the first ten im giving, and im proud to say that this game definitely deserves so!! Its so good that im surprised everytime I look at the metascore to see 86 out of 100, for this game does so little wrong. It basically is perfect in every aspect, from graphics to story and should of gotten a higher rating for I feel that it should be a game that competes for goty!! even with titles such as god of war, bioshock, the last of us, sly cooper, dead space, crisis 3, fifa 14 and more, I feel that it would take a miracle for this game to be beaten for game of the year!! Then again, all these titles are more then capable of doing so, yet I feel that this game is special for its storytelling and gameplay bring a different view on how games should be played, and it is the epitamy of legendary gaming!! I really hope this game is remembered for a long time for it is a wopper!! and I highly recommend everybody to buy this game for you almost certainly will enjoy it!! Expand
  33. Dec 5, 2013
    When you pick up ni no kuni for the first time you don't know what to expect, a childish pokemon remake?, a repetitive Jrpg?, Or a generation defining game with depth and beauty to spare?
    Well if you haven't already played it, it's the latter.
    I Loved this game, I wish i could give it a higher rating then 10 to set it apart from the other tens I've given.

Prepare yourself to be
    immersed In ni no kuni's rich story and game play, as this game takes you to worlds you could never imagine.

The length of this game is nothing to scoff at with the main story easily taken upward of 40 hours and with side quests bringing that upwards of 100.
    If you have patience and appreciate story and artistic design ni no kuni is a game that you'll regret to miss.
    And now only $10 Usd on the psn store you have no excuse to delay playing this wonderful game!
  34. Jan 22, 2013
    Like playing DQ8 all over again, but even better. Such an excellent game. Nice story, balanced battle system, open-world exploration, and classic JRPG feeling (and the option for original Japanese voice acting is always a plus). Highly recommended for every JRPG aficionado.
  35. Jan 22, 2013
    Part of me wants to say that what Level-5 has done in Ni No Kuni is innovative. That it's an entirely new and unprecedented concept. However another part of me knows that this is the game that Square was supposed to make one day. It has everything that made me fall in love with video games in the heydays of Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger, plus all the right elements of a modern day rpg. The relatability of this game's simple and heart warming story vividly throw into focus everything that is wrong with the convoluted and downright bazaar themes of other modern JRPGs. There are no spiky hair cuts, feminine men, or ridiculous costumes to be found here. Just good old fashioned fun and narration wrapped in a visually striking bow. Expand
  36. Jan 23, 2013
    Ready for the perfect review? Beautiful art, amazing score, wonderful story, extremely deep battle system and an overall level or charm that is unmatched. I went to bed thinking about the characters, woke up thinking about my "familiars" and I have spent the day counting every moment till I can go home to play some more. If you like RPG's this is a perfect game.
  37. Feb 15, 2013
    The game is awesome I can't think any bad about this game, maybe the some of the quests are boring (as was in Xenoblade as well) but overall 10/10. This is one of the rare games which made me almost cry and I am 28 years old! The game make me feel like I am back in the good old 90's! Highly recommended for everyone especially for JRPG fans.
  38. Jan 23, 2013
    If ever there was a perfect game for our time it is this one. I for one am so sick of FPS, as I imagine most other people are right now, that this beautiful JRPG seems even more new and vibrant than it might actually be. The story is good and did I mention the art design is beautiful? Wow, enjoy everybody this is 40 to 100 plus hours of pure heaven for gamers.
  39. Jan 25, 2013
    This is the best RPG of this generation! Simple saying, it's more than incredible, from the art style, to the combat and story, it's simple amazing and one can put it side-by-side with the most loved RPGs of all time, like Final Fantasy VII and Chrono Trigger. Yes, it's that good!
  40. Feb 16, 2013
    When Studio Ghibli teams up with a game studio, you know that an unprecedented masterpiece is about to unfold. And Ni No Kuni is without a doubt the sole game that has touched me, made me laugh, drove me to tears, filled my heart with warmth and awe, and contains just a speck of that power you feel. I have searched, amongst the bombastic and formulaic sequels and fluff today, for something cathartic and special. Never have I had an experience so perfectly crafted. The characters are endearing, the aesthetics wonderfully enthralling, the soundtrack mesmerising and beautiful (Joe Hisaishi guys!), the storyline epic, the combat potent and satisfying. As with any game, there will be the occasional niggle and bug (I got stuck in a bush for three seconds), but none are game-breaking. This is a game to be remembered in the game annals. This is something truly special. And in our current state of the video game industry, the word special really does find its place in every gamer's heart. Expand
  41. Feb 12, 2013
    Awesome game if ever there was a perfect game for our time it is this one. I for one am so sick of FPS, as I imagine most other people are right now, that this beautiful JRPG seems even more new and vibrant than it might actually be. The story is good and did I mention the art design is beautiful? Wow, enjoy everybody this is 40 to 100 plus hours of pure heaven for gamers.
  42. Feb 5, 2013
    [This review was completed at 55 hours into the game) WHO SHOULD PLAY THIS: Story lovers. JRPG Fans. Miyazaki Fans. Children. Emotional Gamers. WHO SHOULD NOT PLAY THIS: Fast Paced Gamers. Those with a low tolerance for rote tasks. THE DOWNSIDE: Ni no Kuni is a slow paced, highly repetitive menu system, real time combat RPG. It is slow, methodical, and requires hours of extra effort (grinding) in order to get the whole experience. THE UPSIDE: This game is a masterpiece. It uses 20 years of tried and true gaming concepts to create a web of clever systems. There is Crafting, Grinding, Character Growth, Collectable-Evolvable monsters, Side quests, vehicle travel, targeted shooting, puzzles, cyphers, and a half dozen other systems to fill your time. For a game that is child friendly (and can be beaten, top to bottom, by a child, on easy, with no bells and whistles) Ni no Kuni offers a wealth of depth to the seasoned gamer. It is beautiful, emotional, clever, funny, and deep. It is the finest RPG to see public hands in a decade. And anyone who says the JRPG is dead should be watching Level-5 with anticipation for theory myriad of other titles, (hopefully) soon to come stateside. Play it, love it, and be willing to put 100+ hours into it. It's worth it. Expand
  43. Jan 22, 2013
    I will keep this short and sweet. This is an amazing game. The RPG genre has been desperately starved for the entirety of this generation; however, we finally have a game in the genre worth our time. Not only is Ni No Kuni visually amazing, but it also plays quite nicely. The combat start very basic, but becomes more nuanced the more you play. The story is strong; evocative but with a good sense of levity. If you were an RPG lover at some point, but lost interest in the genre during this generation, you need to go out and purchase this game, it will blow you away. However, this isn't only a purchase for those wanting a nostalgia high, this is an easy recommendation for damn near everyone. The only thing that could keep you from loving this game is significant prejudice; if you refuse to play colorful games that have a great deal of charm, then maybe you should skip this one. For everyone else, come join the journey, you won't regret it. Expand
  44. Feb 14, 2013
    Finally! I have waited a very long time through all this generation for a true JRPG! It took so long, but now Ni No Kuni makes me feel like when i played Chrono Cross back in PSOne. It's truly awesome, the gameplay, the plot, the characters, all fits right in place! I'm very happy, there's still hope for the JRPG style!
  45. Mar 21, 2013
    Must get this game, it is kewllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
  46. Mar 6, 2013
    Ni No Kuni is one of the finest RPGs I've played in some time it's fun and challenging and really draws you into its big, beautiful world. The story is simple and moving and the artwork, from Studio Ghibli, is breathtaking. The real-time combat is reminiscent of the Star Ocean series, while the exploration reminds of of Dragon Quest or vintage Final Fantasy. There haven't been a lot of great console RPGs this generation Eternal Sonata is the only one that comes to mind and Ni No Kuni is just the game I've been waiting for. Much like Chrono Trigger, I can see myself coming back to this game every year or two and playing it through again just for the sheer pleasure of it. Expand
  47. Feb 9, 2013
    The game is not for everybody (though I think it has far wider appeal than most games, nowadays--I mean, what percent of the general population would like to sit down and play a "murder simulator" [and I say this as someone who plays FPS games]). Having said this, you will love this game, if the following applies to you:
    - you like the trailer you like JRPGs (when done well),
    especially: if you admire Studio Ghibli and enjoy their works. It also helps if you don't like playing the same game, over and over, but rather believe that novelty has a value all its own. This game is unlike anything you've played. It's like a game adaptation of a Studio Ghibli production, while keeping the best aspects (great voice acting, production values, an orchestral score featuring the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra, etc.), and "gamifying" the rest. This game is, for those who are likely to appreciate it, magnificent. Expand
  48. Jan 22, 2013
    I must say it is a wonderful storytelling with a nice gameplay never seen in a J-RPG from playstation 3, it makes rememeber the golden era of the J-RPG from psone.
  49. Jan 22, 2013
    Game is very beautiful, awesome soundtrack, interesting and lengthy side/quests. A wide variety of images and spells. This is Studio Ghibli and that's enough.
  50. Jan 23, 2013
    I've been patiently waiting for an RPG that has balance between battle system and story. Ni No Kuni offers this. It's amazing how Studio Ghibli poured out the details that make all of their movies magical, and how Level-5 took the advantage of the art to give us a game thats accesible to all and at the same time challenging to the fan of old, challenging and compelling RPG's, look no more, this is the game we all be waiting for. Expand
  51. Jan 22, 2013
    I just want to say than you Studio Ghibli & Level 5 thanks for give us this masterpiece !!!
    The colors, the music, the battles, what a wonderful day am having.....
  52. Jan 22, 2013
    You heard and read all the good about this game. So i just want to make a brief review. The Good: A nostalgic feeling come through your bone, and stay inside your body when you playing Ni No Kuni. The artwork, the soundtrack, the gameplay, the puzzle, and the world map.. All of that make you feel like you are playing modified old JRPG. Everything is just right. The one that should be Good:
    There are two things that i think it can be improved. Which are the AI of the human character that we are not controlled.
    They should be smarter. And the AI option is limited. I wish to have more option but not as complex as FF XII.
    Because of that, the player really has to watch the other character really well not consuming a lot of MP which are very precious or dying.
    Also, it should be better if there is online feature like Familiar Battle across the globe. We can level up the Familiar and do the battle and tournament. It will make the longevity of this game longer and more fun. That's the only complaint of this game.

Conclusion:
    My score is 10/10. It doesn't mean it is perfect game. Nothing in this world is perfect. I guarantee you.
    Despite of no online feature and smarter AI, as a whole, Ni No Kuni is come with the right ingredients to really satisfy my JRPG hunger.
    So why do you still here? Go and buy this masterpiece.. :)
  53. Jan 24, 2013
    When it comes to games, I live and die by RPGs(barring a brief stint as a professional FPS player). I have all the best RPGs for almost every system(xbox360 died a year ago) and can safely say this ranks up there as one of the best of the last decade so far. If you enjoy a touching story, stunningly gorgeous visuals, interesting combat and beautiful music...buy the game with no regrets.
  54. Jan 22, 2013
    Amazing game. Quirky characters and brings back the genre of JRPGs. Ignore people that down rate because of the "childish and not action oriented". This is what a JRPG is supposed to be. Don't confuse this with western RPGs because it is not. Turn based combat is very good. A slower start that I think is there to refresh players with how a JRPG is played. The pacing of difficulty is a little off but that's okay. It's a game that should take time and practice to master the combat system as the speed of encounters become much more difficult. Expand
  55. Jan 22, 2013
    The ultimate collaboration between two of the most loved JRPGs, Pokemon and Final Fantasy. Explore till you can't explore anymore; capture more than 300 Familiars (similar to Pokemon); take on the hours and hours of side-quests; fall in love with a story that's sure to warm even the darkest of hearts; gaze at graphics and scenes that will stop anyone in their tracks that manages to glance at the screen; and best of all, throw yourself into a battle system that will feel like a breath of fresh air (reminiscent of a Tales game).

Truly a game that should not be missed by anyone that considers themselves a fan of video games and RPGs.
  56. Jan 22, 2013
    Don't believe that for one second that this game is for children! This is a truly beautiful game with an amazing depth of story and combat that will rival all other JRPG'S that have come before it and then expanding upon it! Your eyes, ears, and heart will thank you for playing this game! So, do yourself a favor.
  57. Jan 22, 2013
    Played the game for about 3 hours now and i can say that it is what i have been looking for. If you like final fantasy and pokemon, then you will love this game. Pokemon + Final Fantasy = AWESOMENESS
  58. Jan 22, 2013
    I made an account just to say, I didn't know how much I missed playing a damn good rpg until this game. So glad I went and bought it. Oozing quality out of every pore, and so much charm. It's all in the details, and this was made by people who actually care about every piece of the game being enjoyable, down to something as simple as still running forward when you move to the next screen while running around, even if the camera has moved so that the direction you were pushing the stick would no longer have you continuing to run the direction you were (in a typical game). You would think that's a given, but somewhere along the line games became more and more trashy, full of annoyances. This game is nothing but a pleasance. SO refreshing. Just play it dammit. See what real gaming's all about if you've never known of it before.  Expand
  59. Jan 23, 2013
    Slow start but picks up nicely. The visuals are so beautiful. I entered a zone and the music had my hair stand up and a shiver ran up my spine. The voice acting could be more professional but overall it is still pretty good. The dialog had me laughing - video games rarely make me laugh.
  60. Jan 24, 2013
    WOOOOOOOWWW!!!!! a nice experience....... one of the best RPG that i've played...... is interesting that i traveled to my infant years.... thanks level 5 for that experience!!!!
  61. Jan 24, 2013
    Absolutely amazing and undeniably heartwarming. The RPG fan base has been starved for an instant classic such as this. Just within the few hours I've played the game thus far, there were so many times that I felt myself reminiscing to older, wonderful experiences that I had as a child playing Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Legend of Legaia, Blue Dragon and so many others. Studio Ghibli and Level 5 have created a masterpiece that will live on in the hearts and minds of its players for many years to come. I'm glad to be one of the people to experience it at its very beginning. Expand
  62. Jan 24, 2013
    It's Level 5 and Studio Ghibli. It's fun, lengthy, beautiful and has a score composed by Joe Hisaishi that; in my opinion could be one of the best he has ever composed.

What more do you need to know?
  63. Jan 24, 2013
    Made a new account just to say this: I'm in my late 30's and THIS game has the magic that FF VI had when I was young. The way a game used to feel so wondrous when I was young has been missing for years. There is a difference between "childish" and "childlike". When you're mature, you will see that "childlike" is something to run after! Get this game.
  64. Jan 24, 2013
    I just picked this game up today, and just started playing (not spoiling anything, but just near the end of the walk through), and I would have to say, this game is beautiful. Everything about it, the looks, the feel, the design, even the menus! Honestly I got this game for 2 reasons, 1) I am huge Miyazaki fan, I have seen just about all his movies. 2) I knew that the art would be unbelievable, and boy was I right. With in the few hours I've played it feels like I'm playing Howls moving castle! I've spent at least 10 minutes running in circles just looking at his cape ^_^. Though I was satisfied with those 2 factors, the game has already gone beyond my expectations! Joe Hisaishi blew me away with just the music on the title screen. The story line makes me feel warm, taking elements from his other films just add to my inner child. When I first entered a battle I was assuming it would just be one more turn based Really, which I really don't like. Then when I found out that it wasn't, and the created a whole new system, I was impressed. The only thing that I am not fond of is the in battle controls. because it is set where you can run, it is a bit difficult to switch between actions. it would be nice if that was set to R1 and R2. besides this minor setback, this game in my eyes is almost flawless. I would recommend this to anyone who is an RPG or Ghibli fan ^_^. Expand
  65. Jan 27, 2013
    (This is a review for the JAPANESE version of this game.) For everyone learning Japanese and being on the intermediate level, this game is highly recommended. Apart from the superb quality of the game (as lots of others have already pointed out), I have to praise it for using Furigana all the time in the subtitles, making the game very accessible even for pre-JLPT-N2 learners.
  66. Jan 29, 2013
    This game is absolutely breath-taking! The world, the lore, the story are all entwined into a beautiful masterpiece. The graphics are captivatingly sumptuous, and the musical score is A-grade. The game's battle mechanics are medium-paced with real-time tactic application.

This title deserves all the high praises it's been getting. If you've been yearning for a proper JRPG on a
    current-gen console, this is it! Trust me, this is an instant classic! Expand
  67. Jan 29, 2013
    This game is so freaking beautiful! The Sound, the graphics, the gameplay... all of it comes in a fluid and fitting package of awesomeness. I love this game.... really :D
  68. Jan 29, 2013
    I'm a fan of RPGs, but not a huge fan of J-RPGs but I gave this game a try. The results were very appealing; the cute characters, action packed story, the exploration, familiars, and much more features made this game very enjoyable. Tidy, should I say, a $60 well spent!
  69. Jan 30, 2013
    Ni No Kuni is a triumphant in the modern state of gaming. Gone is any shoehorned in online or dlc, you get the complete package from the start. The game is simply gorgeous, with superb ingame graphics, stellar audio, tip tier voice acting (english and japanese) and high quality ghibli goodness cinematics. The game is just fun to play, igniting a sense of happiness and wonder while playing. You could just leave the menu running to hear the music. This is a game worthy of buying a ps3 for, its just simply flawless. If you like rpgs you need to own this game, if you like the game journey you need to own this game, if you love studio ghibli you need to own this game, if you love orchestral scores you need to own this game. Just buy it! Expand
  70. Jan 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. SORRY FOR MY POOR ENGLISH. There have been a lot of positive reviews for this game. I agree with all of them. Don't let the negative ones keep you from buying this gem. Many of them are complaining about a.) a clunky battle-system b.) too much grinding or to many battles c.) too much text d.) repetitive sidequests e.) a childish story f.) a stupid main character g.) a linear gameplay. So let's set things straight. a/b.) This IS a RPG of course there are many battles and if you get used to the battle system it becomes fluid and addictive. I've watched many walkthroughs on Youtube. The majority of players clearly don't pay attention to tutorials and are making stupid decisions while in battle. You can't blame the game for an lack of intelligence. c.) The plenty amount of text is called a STORY. If you don't like lenghty storylines why even bother buying a RPG? And the lack of an voice-over does not make the dialog less interesting or the game broken. d.) The sidequest-part is indeed repetitive. But all quests are wrapped in a nice story so it's not that bad. And you get really usefull rewards an not the usual crap like in other RPG's. e.) Childish story? Really? The game starts with the death of a mother trying to save her child from assassination. I must have missed the childish part in here. If you pay attention there is a lot dark stuff going on as the story progresses but I guess the kids nowadays need explicit gore an violence to understand the concept of horror. f.) Oliver is not stupid or "poorly written". He is naive. Yes there is a difference! What did you expect from a 13-year-old boy who is living in a perfect storybook town filled with nice people who still care for each other? He isn't even able to lie properly. It HAS to be that way, he is the pure-hearted-one, remember? g.) This game is NOT linear. Just turn the guide-star off and you will see how everything is changing dramatically. I am playing without it and the game feels so much deeper than before. And also set the mini-map to rotate, the navigation will become more enjoyable. After a console-generation pestered with questionable game development finally something admirable an big has arrived: Open world exploration, hidden places, dungeons, dragons and witches. Tons of side quests, creature taming and alchemy. 40-80 hours main campaign as well as many hours of post game content. I feel truly sorry for everyone who is unable to realize how immersive and heart-stirring (pun intended) this game is. I am very very pleased and I hope there is gonna be a sequel! Expand
  71. Feb 1, 2013
    Magic game that will most definitly involve you in a dazzling world and beautiful story.
    It was a long time since a good jrpg was made, especially for the ps3. If you only chose one rpg to play this year than this is the one!
  72. Aug 10, 2013
    Nothing quite like it. An incredibly endearing and beautiful game with a rich universe to explore and a compelling story to tell. The graphics fit perfectly into Level-5's aesthetics, the music soars and the gameplay always leaves you wanting more. It will never be able to compete against more mainstream titles for the game of the year awards, such as Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite. But for my money, Ni No Kuni is a superior game, just not as accessible. Still, give in to Ni No Kuni's five hour introduction and you'll find immersed into it's amazing world. You will not regret playing this game, I can assure you of that. Expand
  73. Apr 7, 2013
    Well, I finally played it, and it is hands down my favorite game I've played this year. I thought Bioshock Infinite would be the high wtarer mark of the year, but NNK just became my favorite. Really takes me back to that sense of wonder and discovery that I havent experienced in many, many years. Wonderful, simple, complex, beautiful, deep, fulfilling.
  74. Feb 6, 2013
    Just wanted to help raise the current 9.1 that this perfect game sits at. And Arcturus519, you lie in the first few words of your review. You are NOT a fan of the JRPG genre. Not with a review like that. Go back to Elder Scrolls.
  75. Feb 6, 2013
    In short this game is a masterpeice. The perfect balance of exquisite story telling that pulls you in and grabs your attention and heart strings to make you emotionally involved in the game, making you genuinely care about what happens next. Amazing game mechanics that make your experience smooth and submersive. Do yourself a favour, go lock yourself away for a few days and explore!!!!
  76. Feb 10, 2013
    I've already spent nearly 55 hours playing this beautiful game and, what can I say, it has been such an incredible, pure j-rpg-ish experience! This game can easily be placed among the best games in the genre such as Final Fantasy VII. The game itself is amazing, the story, which one might consider childish or whatever, focuses on very prime aspects of human nature and its pure-hearted potential greatness and beauty, making the whole game-experience feel like a marvelous, yet simple, adventure. The game-play is entertaining, fights are pure fun, game gets more challenging with every hour spent in it. I think I don't even have to mention how amazing the Ni No Kuni's world looks, chapeau bas Studio Ghibli! Ladies and Gentlemen, this is the Game of the Generation. Expand
  77. Feb 26, 2013
    Ok well im going to start this off my saying i love this game, from the art, the game-play, the creatures also known as "familiars", cut scenes, exploration just everything! Ill make this very easy to read for those looking to find all the information they need to know about the game, the good and the bad. ART GRAPHICS
    We will start with the games looks, now when it comes to the anime
    cut scenes they are amazing, lots of detail and amazing looking just like all of Studio Ghiblis work. Now the game cut scenes that are far more common are done just like the games graphics which are good for sceneory but only moderate for character design. Now dont get me wrong there not bad, but the detail is at times just not there. Overall id give the graphics side of this game a solid 9 out of 10 because even though the detail can lack on character models they are designed in a way that makes that lack of detail work for them. EXPLORATION BATTLES
    Ok this world is beautiful, and as fun as it is to look at it, it is even more fun to run around and explore it. There are hidden treasures that look like shiny spots on the ground all over and battles are wherever you look (which to me is good). Now as you are running around admiring this gorgeous world you will find a massive amount of monsters/familiars roaming around and each one is itching for a fight. Now get ready because the battles in this game are going to bring those dreams of pokemon battles to life. Now what i mean by this is that you get these monsters called familiars, and these guys are cool, now lets break this down to make it easy to understand. FIRST Each familiar has 4 evolution's or metamorphosis. You have your basic or starting form, then you have a middle evolution. Now for your final form you actually get to pick one of two different evolution's, each on is powerful and has its own unique perks. There are just over a hundred familiars and with each one having 4 forms there is allot of potential for team building (plus you can have 2 of your favorite familiars on your team looking two different ways). SECOND The battle system!!!!! it is amazing, it brings a childhood fantasy to life...pokemon battles. You use your familiar like a pokemon but instead of it being a turn based system you will run around, dodge, defend and use your skills on the move in a small open roam battle zone. I always dreamed of the pokemon games making the battles just like the show and this game finally brings that dream to life. It is fun, fast and every familiar makes that fights a different experience. (also look for golden orbs that drop in battle for a very epic surprise)

STORY QUESTS

This story is heartbreaking, emotional, fun, everything you would expect from a true JRPG that gave it its all. I dont want to spoil anything for you so ill be general about this, something tragic happens that opens your character up to a new world. In this world you learn how to be a wizard and control familiars all in a grand adventure to save both your world and this fantastic fantasy world you find. The story is built in a way that truly pulls you in and makes you want to fight for the next cut scene or piece of story. Now the side quest dont really have that same pull but there still fun. Yes they are normally a "kill this" or "find this" kinda mission but they are normally fun and all tie back to a stamp system that allows you to buy upgrades the more you help people and do side quests. It really only gets boring if you let it. SUM UP!!!!!

Ok so ive covered most the basics of the game and alot of the things others complain about, dont let negative reviews discourage you from getting this game, ive personally got the 40$ book for it and i love it, the familiar information it gives is soooo much fun and helpfull and none of the guide parts really spoil anything so its an amazing book (also with a really amazing hard cover) So in my personal opinion if you like JRPGs or just want to make your pokemon battle dreams like mine come true pick this game up right away.
  78. Mar 12, 2013
    One of the best games this year! If you own a Ps3 and you don't have this game you are seriously crazy, let me tell you why. This game has it all, amazing game, extremely long, great battle system, amazingly long, an open world, and after you beat the main quest there are a ton of side quests just waiting for you. The story is about a sad boy who finds his way. The games visuals are outstanding. This game has everything, I can't think of a flaw in the game. there isn't a hard mode but the normal mode has its challenges, plus the game will have sucked away about 70 hours of your time...without all the side quest. the game is a J-RPG. There is so much to explore...I can't even put into words how amazing this game is. All im saying is that you need to get this game if you own a Ps3 and enjoy good adventures. Expand
  79. Mar 16, 2013
    This is the RPG I've been waiting ages to sink my teeth into. Great story, gorgeously rendered landscape with a fully explorable world map, and fun things for you to go back to once you've finished up the main story. The characters in this game are all memorable, even if one of two of them run the risk of being slightly two dimensional. You capture monsters and evolve them to assist you in battle, and there is a HUGE variety of them. Sick of other games that give you auto-combat, and maybe 10 total items per game? Yes, this will remind you of 'the good old days'. I would easily call this the best console RPG in years. Expand
  80. Mar 20, 2013
    "Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is a masterpiece of art, music & story. It beautifully flows with stellar production values, terrific voice acting & one of the most addictive gameplay structures I’ve had in recent years.

The characters are memorable, the villains are flawed & relatable but best of all is this is an adventure that celebrates the JRPG genre unlike anything this HD
    Generation. It’s the perfect storm of a game, I haven’t had this much fun with a JRPG since the golden years of Final Fantasy VII, IX & IV. If you’re looking for an adventure in gaming, Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is for you.

It’s perfect in almost every way, I adore it."

Read my full review: http://tmblr.co/ZOA6EydQofD_
  81. Mar 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ni no kuni is the best J-RPG that I have ever played on PS3, great storyline-perfect gameplay-Amazing graphics. I recommend everyone who like J-RPG to get this game. Expand
  82. Mar 28, 2013
    Level-5 has created a awesome game that has amazing art design inspired by Studio Ghibli. It's great to see that there are still good jrpg's out there.
  83. Nov 10, 2013
    I just bought this game from psn, and played a few hours, but i can certainly tell you that this is the best jrpg, of this gen, magical and emotional history, super graphic quality, and you always want to play more and more, not like other new games that if you finish a chapter wanna go to sleep, the sense of magic with the magisterial music of japan symphony, if you love the true feeling of games this is your true election Expand
  84. Apr 25, 2013
    I picked up this game so that I could play it with my 5 year old boy. He generally does the walking around and enjoys all the different creatures we meet and "collect", and I do the fights.
    Being brought up on Final Fantasy and games like that, this game was easy to pick up and start playing. Even after beating the game, you actually open up a whole new world of things to do and the game
    has many more hours of life in it.
    We are over 100 hours in and it has been an enjoyable journey and we still haven't finished all the quests. The World is not too big to be overwhelming. The battles can sometimes be tough, but with the right items in your backpack or your familiars levelled to a good level, you should be ok.
    Sometimes you have to do a little grinding to level up your team, but it is very minimal, or you do it around some of the quests.
    Also some quests you might get stuck on when you are looking for a item, or a hidden forest, but that is where the internet helps because sometimes it is pretty obscure. I also recommend looking on the internet how to learn to play one of the card games to get lots of casino money it comes in handy.
    Definitely recommended, but remember to warn your child that the mother in the game is going to die and that you are going to try and do what you can to help her (no spoiler required as it is in the games description).
    So overall, the best game I have played this year and my son has enjoyed it too. "Is it the weekend Daddy? Can we play Ni No Kuni?" "Ask your mother if we are allowed" :)
    Looking forward to a sequel which might be in the pipeline.
  85. May 5, 2013
    I tend to avoid JRPGs nowadays because they tend to be boring and very tedious. This wonderful game changes that completely. Very solid writing, the best graphics this generation and great gameplay does all the difference.
  86. Jun 5, 2013
    Story: In typical Miyazaki fashion, this game has an incredibly good story. It is based off of an anime, which may not appeal to everyone, but the story is emotionally riveting in the sense that it tugs at your heartstrings without being melodramatic. The characters are beaming with positivity and sentiment, and you can’t help but feel even for the villains. (10/10)

Voice acting: The
    English dub for this game is great. All characters are executed well and are very believable. Some may say the voices are childish, but the characters are in fact children, so I think it completely appropriate. I wish that the entire game was voiced, but unfortunately only main story segments are, which leaves some exposition feeling a bit flat. (9/10)

Characters/World: The cast, while small, is great. They compliment each other well and each has a fully fleshed out story with unique personalities and personal tribulations. Even the support characters are excellently executed. The world is large and ripe for exploration with very few areas being inaccessible once you get the necessary means of transportation. The landscapes and environments are incredibly varied and I found myself returning to places just to take a second look. (10/10)

Graphics: This is an anime game, and it looks amazing. The character and enemy designs all look hand drawn and burst with color and character. Everything in this game looks amazing and it draws you into the world. (10/10)

Game length/Replayability: The game is quite lengthy; I put in over 60 hours and still didn’t finish everything that could be done. There are tons of side quests, bounties, and optional enemies to fight, and the game has considerable length if you want to capture and train the 300 familiars available. There is also plenty of replayability. After beating the game, you are dropped back off into the world where you can explore further, hunt additional bosses, and do post-game quests. (10/10)

Gameplay/Optimization: The gameplay has a robust alchemy system, myriad gear to equip your characters, unique skills you learn from completing quests, and dozens of spells and summons to learn. Each of the four main characters play differently and have unique affinities for different familiars, which adds tactical depth. (10/10)

Verdict: I have no qualms saying this game is amazing. It is one of the best RPGs I’ve ever played, and I’m an RPG connoisseur, and it has a distinct feel that is uniquely its own despite its anime inspired world akin to the Tales games. Bottom line, if you enjoy RPGs, anime, good stories, and fun collect-them-all gameplay, this game is a must! (Overall: 9.8/10)
  87. Feb 13, 2014
    First platinated game in my career, a stunning work, a piece of art, the only bad part is the IA, bad bad IA system, not only for foes. but the vote is still 10/10 for me.
  88. Jun 11, 2013
    Ni No Kuni made up for the latest surge of nasty final fantasy games i usually prefer turn based rpg like FF9 and FF7 however this game manage to make real time strategy work for me and to put the game into terms for people wondering what it is welsh guy pokemon good story replayability def worth 10 and tbh more if i could
  89. Jun 14, 2013
    Absolutely amazing game. I have never played a jrpg before but this game was amazing. Great story and lots of stuff to do after u beat the game. Easily got overt 100 hours in it.
  90. Jul 8, 2013
    Having played this game through and being an enormous fan of the genre, I rate this game a 10 because it is a marvel. I'm an enormous fan of Studio Ghibli, and the artwork was spectacular. The story was definitely fun, and all of the tasks were rather enjoyable. However, the reason I give this game a 10 is because it REALLY gets going once you finish the main story-line. I absolutely love it when games have fulfilling "after-game" aspects, and Ni No Kuni really did a good job here. I won't give anything away, but what I can say is it is very worth it to play this game out, I enjoyed every single minute of it. Expand
  91. Jan 27, 2014
    Although I haven't played this game to the end, I must say that this is an extremely good game! So far I have played a little over seven hours, and that time has just passed by as if it was only an hour. Firstly, the graphics are perhaps not over the top, but the artistic value of this game makes everything worthwhile. Second, the story and the lore of the game is something that I fall deep into every time I open the in-game book and I can easily use 30 minutes in there. Thirdly, the gameplay in itself is perhaps not as original as one could hope for. But, if you like Pokemon and Spirited Away you're gonna love this game.
    All this together makes an experience that is so extremely refreshing and entertaining. I can't stop playing this game and I actually have to set an alarm for when I need to stop playing (sic!). I would recommend this game to everyone; kids as well as adults!!!
  92. Oct 13, 2013
    Best game I ever played. WONDERFUL Sound, awesome fight system, the story ist just great. And the charakters are just funny and awesome. As a fazit i want to say NI NO KUNI is the best game ever made
  93. Oct 14, 2013
    In the wise words of Yukko, "Super ultra great delicious wonderful." Is everything that describes this game. The amount of detail put into the animation can be seen from every aspect. Running to walking up and down stairs. The hidden codes in the games own lettering system. The incredible story that had me crying 30 minutes in already. Studio Ghibli is beyond incredible. Best 20$ I have ever spent. An extraordinary battling system. Amazing voice acting. This game is a great reason for owning a PS3. Expand
  94. Oct 19, 2013
    Level 5 outdid itself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  95. SNS
    Nov 8, 2013
    The beauty of Ni No Kuni isn't that it does anything new or original, but the charm it gives off as you play. This game is based on the art style and story telling of a brilliant Anime company who can do no wrong.

The result is a game which has quite a deep and emotional storyline as a young child tries to cope with the death of his mother. But all this is surrounded by amazing visuals,
    easy controls, a fun (but challenging) fighting mechanism and a game full of content.

The best way to describe the game is like a living, breathing anime film which plays very much like Pokemon. The key to the game is the idea of using familiars to fight a long side you and you're two companions, and you can capture and train them up.

This game is essentially what Pokemon SHOULD be now!

The game can take a while to truly dig everything out; it can be a good few hours before you actually unlock some very useful abilities and a good few more hours before you get a boat and a dragon to fly around on (which make life a lot easier).

But outside of that small issue, this game is just so much fun and refreshing. A game which isn't all violence and swearing and aggression and has a real, emotional story behind it.
  96. Nov 22, 2013
    So amazing in so many ways. First of all, the soundtrack is divine, the best one I've ever listened to in a game. Also, the art direction is mind blowing, the Gibli's work is phenomenal. The gameplay is also very enjoyable and in certain aspects very original with the monster taming and evolving mechanics. At last, the storytelling, althought very simple and childish, kept me deeply interested in the plot and also the memorable characters. Playing this game was a heart-mending experience which I will carry in my thoughts for years to come. Expand
  97. Dec 27, 2013
    Amazing game! Beautiful graphics, great music and interesting storyline. I'm really happy that you can choose original voice acting in japanese. Love it~!
  98. Jan 2, 2014
    I'd give this a 9 but thought I should balance out the 0's. The game is great. Like many have stated, the main downside is the terrible human companion AI, but really, it only bothered me slightly.

Love the story, the art style, and the gameplay. Easily in my top 5 JRPG's.
  99. Feb 1, 2014
    I had never really been a fan of JRPG's until I played Ni No Kuni. I was interested in the game due to the affiliation with Studio Ghibli (who I am a massive fan of). From the moment the game loads up and the title screen appears accompanied by the magical soundtrack composed by Studio Ghibli composer Joe Hisaishi , you can tell this game is going to be special.

The story follows Oliver
    who along with his Fairy companion Mr Drippy (a creature with a lantern attached to his long nose and a Welsh accent) as they travel to Mr Drippy’s world on a quest to save Oliver’s Mother from the White Witch and her second in command Shadar. Along the way they meet a cast of colourful characters, allies and enemies across a massive world, towns and many challenging dungeons. The combat is tight and works perfectly. The battles are fun and at times extremely challenging. They play out kind of like Pokemon battles as you collect creatures called familiars who you can level up and use in battle. There are many to find and tame across the world.

The game has a terrific story quest which is exciting, funny and sometimes extremely moving. The end had me and my seven year old Daughter in tears. The bosses are imaginative and really fun to beat. And the cut scenes are beautifully drawn.

The biggest joy for me was wondering around a world straight out of a Studio Ghibli film. The graphics are absolutely beautiful. The attention to detail makes you feel as if you really are in another world. The soundtrack throughout is stunning. The game takes around 100 plus hours to complete and do all side quests and bounty hunts. By completing these you are heavily rewarded. And even after the main story is completed you still have tons to do.

I could go on and on about how genius this game is. Just play it, you will not be disappointed. I really hope there is a follow up or a re-release on the PS4. This game is truly magical. It is a great memory to share with my daughter and we still go back and play hunting for Toko Toko and levelling up familiars even though we have beaten the whole game.

A true masterpiece.
  100. Jan 27, 2014
    Okay, to start off, Ni No Kuni is an amazing game...for the genre. It's one of those games that is really hit or miss depending on your gameplay preference. For a JRPG, it's visually stunning and truly brings what. Studio Ghibli has generously offered for years, which is a little special attachment you feel with the characters . The story is well written, though some aspects of it are childish and the game seems childish . For example, your main partner pretty much walks you through the same things (only some things ) endlessly. As for some who say they don't like the gameplay, it is not a fast paced action FPS. It's a JRPG, like FF. If you liked Final Fantasy or still do, this games play style will really speak to you. On to the actual game play review : It's an enclosed area that throws you and an opponent into a fight and it really has no super hard tactics. You can have up to three Familiars, which are beasts who you can eventually collect. Your human partners are not the brightest and as stated before, do not defend. Your MP ( magic or mana points and HP (health points) are critically the heart of all battle systems. If you play as the main character and run out of MP against a hard boss and you're done. But I think this adds to the difficulty and satisfaction of finally beating that one boss you're stuck on. Most games today are missing that feeling of childhood innocence and some difficulty. The music and monsters alone are enough for anyone to fall in love , and with anime cutscenes you can't really get much more Ghibli in a game. All in all , this may seem like a game for around ten and under, but it really can be enjoyed by anyone. With some minor profanity in the Japanese subtitles, it may seem offensive to some parents. It isn't bad though, and I doubt the English dubbed version has swearing . But this game doesn't need blood or swearing to make it fun, and I love it . So for any. JRpG fans or newcomers, I highly recommend this and for its in depth story, soundtrack , traditional gameplay , and moving characters . Expand

1. Ni No Kuni offers players an experience unlike almost any other RPG. At once, you are transported back to the innocence of a childhood filled with monsters, magic, and mysticism; but at the same time you find yourself immersed in an emotional story about a protagonist dealing with his innermost emotions.
  2. Apr 11, 2013
    The entertaining battles and the resolutions of plot threads as the game progressed toward the final credits were worth paying the cost of a slow start to the gameplay. This is a game that we'll be talking about for years to come, and I'm happy to have played it.
  3. Apr 1, 2013
    Despite the delayed journey to the West, Ni No Kuni is definitely a title you should at least give a chance. There is a demo up on PSN that you can go ahead and download, and once you get used to the combat system and mechanics of the game, you’ll be treated to an adventure like no other.