8.7

1. Dec 27, 2013
    Amazing game! Beautiful graphics, great music and interesting storyline. I'm really happy that you can choose original voice acting in japanese. Love it~!
  2. Jan 2, 2014
    I'd give this a 9 but thought I should balance out the 0's. The game is great. Like many have stated, the main downside is the terrible human companion AI, but really, it only bothered me slightly.

Love the story, the art style, and the gameplay. Easily in my top 5 JRPG's.
  3. Feb 1, 2014
    I had never really been a fan of JRPG's until I played Ni No Kuni. I was interested in the game due to the affiliation with Studio Ghibli (who I am a massive fan of). From the moment the game loads up and the title screen appears accompanied by the magical soundtrack composed by Studio Ghibli composer Joe Hisaishi , you can tell this game is going to be special.

The story follows Oliver

The story follows Oliver who along with his Fairy companion Mr Drippy (a creature with a lantern attached to his long nose and a Welsh accent) as they travel to Mr Drippy’s world on a quest to save Oliver’s Mother from the White Witch and her second in command Shadar. Along the way they meet a cast of colourful characters, allies and enemies across a massive world, towns and many challenging dungeons. The combat is tight and works perfectly. The battles are fun and at times extremely challenging. They play out kind of like Pokemon battles as you collect creatures called familiars who you can level up and use in battle. There are many to find and tame across the world.

The game has a terrific story quest which is exciting, funny and sometimes extremely moving. The end had me and my seven year old Daughter in tears. The bosses are imaginative and really fun to beat. And the cut scenes are beautifully drawn.

The biggest joy for me was wondering around a world straight out of a Studio Ghibli film. The graphics are absolutely beautiful. The attention to detail makes you feel as if you really are in another world. The soundtrack throughout is stunning. The game takes around 100 plus hours to complete and do all side quests and bounty hunts. By completing these you are heavily rewarded. And even after the main story is completed you still have tons to do.

I could go on and on about how genius this game is. Just play it, you will not be disappointed. I really hope there is a follow up or a re-release on the PS4. This game is truly magical. It is a great memory to share with my daughter and we still go back and play hunting for Toko Toko and levelling up familiars even though we have beaten the whole game.

A true masterpiece.
  4. Jan 27, 2014
    Okay, to start off, Ni No Kuni is an amazing game...for the genre. It's one of those games that is really hit or miss depending on your gameplay preference. For a JRPG, it's visually stunning and truly brings what. Studio Ghibli has generously offered for years, which is a little special attachment you feel with the characters . The story is well written, though some aspects of it areOkay, to start off, Ni No Kuni is an amazing game...for the genre. It's one of those games that is really hit or miss depending on your gameplay preference. For a JRPG, it's visually stunning and truly brings what. Studio Ghibli has generously offered for years, which is a little special attachment you feel with the characters . The story is well written, though some aspects of it are childish and the game seems childish . For example, your main partner pretty much walks you through the same things (only some things ) endlessly. As for some who say they don't like the gameplay, it is not a fast paced action FPS. It's a JRPG, like FF. If you liked Final Fantasy or still do, this games play style will really speak to you. On to the actual game play review : It's an enclosed area that throws you and an opponent into a fight and it really has no super hard tactics. You can have up to three Familiars, which are beasts who you can eventually collect. Your human partners are not the brightest and as stated before, do not defend. Your MP ( magic or mana points and HP (health points) are critically the heart of all battle systems. If you play as the main character and run out of MP against a hard boss and you're done. But I think this adds to the difficulty and satisfaction of finally beating that one boss you're stuck on. Most games today are missing that feeling of childhood innocence and some difficulty. The music and monsters alone are enough for anyone to fall in love , and with anime cutscenes you can't really get much more Ghibli in a game. All in all , this may seem like a game for around ten and under, but it really can be enjoyed by anyone. With some minor profanity in the Japanese subtitles, it may seem offensive to some parents. It isn't bad though, and I doubt the English dubbed version has swearing . But this game doesn't need blood or swearing to make it fun, and I love it . So for any. JRpG fans or newcomers, I highly recommend this and for its in depth story, soundtrack , traditional gameplay , and moving characters . Expand
  5. Mar 24, 2014
    It's just so perfect, pretty much to PS3 what Dragon Quest VIII was to PS2. Exploration, catching monsters, gorgeous graphics, charming, brilliant story. Studio Ghibli makes awe inspiring films, I hope they'll make many more gems such as this game, as the line between movies and interactive games continues to blur.
  6. Apr 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's been a while since I've played game I've enjoyed so much. I put this in my gamefly just based on ratings. It wasn't even one of my higher rated games but they sent it to me anyways. I wasn't too happy when I first started playing it but as I progressed, I fell in love rather quickly.

The game play is phenomenal from the battles, to the errands, to capturing different familiars. Each area is varied with different familiars to collect and different bosses to fight. I can't really put to words how amazing this game is. The story makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside and the characters keep you entertained. Classic, old school JRPG. The game has a pokemon type feel to it where you can explore many different areas and capture different monsters.

There is one thing I found annoying, however, in this game. When you are in a battle and cast a spell, it can get canceled if an opponent or one of your teammates cast a quicker spell (spells with cutscenes). Very annoying when you are trying to steal items. Otherwise this game is as close to perfect and polished as any game you will play. PICK IT UP AND ENJOY!
  7. Apr 10, 2017
    After more than a hundred hours to get my platinum trophy, I must say this is a «Masterpiece». It is like playing in a Studio Ghibli movie with a fun fighting system. It is like Pokemon and Tales of had a baby. The story is well written and all the characters are fun to discover. The soundtracks are feeling just like a Studio Ghibli movie. Seriously, this game has nothing missing for aAfter more than a hundred hours to get my platinum trophy, I must say this is a «Masterpiece». It is like playing in a Studio Ghibli movie with a fun fighting system. It is like Pokemon and Tales of had a baby. The story is well written and all the characters are fun to discover. The soundtracks are feeling just like a Studio Ghibli movie. Seriously, this game has nothing missing for a Single player JRPG.

A must for JRPG and Studio Ghibli fans.
  8. Jun 20, 2015
    Im biased because this game represents something i always wanted in my life, an RPG that strongly resembled a cartoon! The artstyle this game deliver has to be yet surpassed is simply a joy to watch everything and wander around, through the whole game the visual quality never lets down.

Also is not completely linear and encourages exploration, lots of monsters to aid you in your quest, nice orchestral soundtrack and a nice story makes this a must have and probably future classic.
  9. Nov 8, 2014
    This game has it all and gives it all to you! It has leveling, It has equipment. It has battles every few seconds, It has an amazing over-world, It has a desert, It has towns. It has an arena, It has a casino, It has summon magic, It has an airship, It has a DRAGON THAT YOU CAN RIDE!, It has side quests, It has bounty hunting, It has famous Japanese artists and musicians on the team, ItThis game has it all and gives it all to you! It has leveling, It has equipment. It has battles every few seconds, It has an amazing over-world, It has a desert, It has towns. It has an arena, It has a casino, It has summon magic, It has an airship, It has a DRAGON THAT YOU CAN RIDE!, It has side quests, It has bounty hunting, It has famous Japanese artists and musicians on the team, It has alchemy, If you can think of a common JRPG staple, here's Ni no Kuni. If you're a fan of classic, time-consuming, grinding role-playing experiences, you're not going to be disappointed in this game, its just too good! Expand
  10. Feb 22, 2015
    one of the BEST games I have ever played! if you are a pokemon lover you will love it! if you are a fantasy lover you will love it! it will drive you through amazing places you will enjoy it for sure! grab it though is over 70 hourse gameplay!
  11. Feb 24, 2015
    Ni No Kuni is one of my all time favorite games. It has great battle system. Great story, and you always have something to do from side quests casino or the story. The graphics are great. This is a game you can easily get into.
  12. May 25, 2016
    A truly fantastic journey and narrative with a new take on JRPG elements. Ni No Kuni takes the key fun and impactful elements of games like Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest etc and pours them into a game that is simply stunning. Buy this if you can and experience what more JRPGs should be like in this day and age. I'll be picking this up the moment it comes to PS4 if it ever does
  13. Dec 3, 2016
    This is in my TOP 5 best JRPG ever made! Best RPG on PS3.. It brought back my love for RPGs, since everything has been god awful - Skyrim, and all these other games that people are playing.

This is how I broke down my rating: Story - 10 Graphics 10 Gameplay 10 Sound - 10 Overall - 10 *Absolute masterpiece! Ni No Kuni 2 is coming out next year and looking forward to it! This

This is how I broke down my rating:

Story - 10
    Graphics 10
    Gameplay 10
    Sound - 10
    Overall - 10

*Absolute masterpiece! Ni No Kuni 2 is coming out next year and looking forward to it! This is absolutely amazing and is a must play for PS3 owners!
  14. Nov 27, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is probably the best modern JRPG of the PS3 console generation, and deservedly so. It's a significantly expanded version of the original Nintendo DS game (Ni no Kuni: Dominion of the Dark Djinn), and since it has been freed from the constraints of the ancient portable, the game really shines on PS3.

The story is about a child named Oliver who early in the game loses his mother. His beloved toy (an Irish-speaking doll named Drippy) animates and tells Oliver about a parallel world where a "soulmate" of everybody exists there. Oliver travels to the other world and learns to use magic, hoping to save his mother in his world. From that point on, the story progresses and becomes a blend of epic and drama, as Oliver travels the world to accomplish his quest, making new friends along the way.

Gameplay is about traveling in a world map and entering towns to explore further, and fighting monsters in order to level-up. The main story events are accompanied by numerous side activities (bounties, errands, side quests, mini games). The combat system is a classic JRPG with active time based moves (no turn-based), and the player can use either Oliver or a minion (known as "familiar") to fight enemies. The player can defeat monsters and recruit them to use as familiars, which can also level up through combat and evolve to become even more powerful. You can also issue commands to the other AI-controlled party members. After completing the main story quest, there is plenty of high-level enemies to fight in the post-game, and many more familiars to catch, just like on Pokemon. The only negative aspect of the gameplay is the classic JRPG issue of having to grind for hours and level up in order to progress the story (there is no prerequisite player level to progress through the story missions, but sometimes you realise you have to gain 5 levels in order to beat a boss and progress, which may mean you previously rushed through the campaign and didn't do other side activities to gain XP), but if you mix story progression with side quests, you will have more variety and it won't bog you down as much. Still, the combat system is so great that grinding isn't frustrating, other than time-consuming.

Thanks to the collaboration of the developers with the acclaimed Studio Ghibli, graphics are beautiful. Cut-scenes are hand-drawn anime, and the in-game graphics are cel-shaded to look like a 3D anime. The soundtrack is great, and the voice over is surprisingly good.

Overall, Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is a wonderful game. It was a surprise hit back in 2013, and it was so successful that a sequel was announced in 2015 to be in the works (Revenant Kingdom). I can't wait to hear more about it. In the meantime, if you read this review, be assured that Ni No Kuni is a good reason to return to the old PS3 console and play one of its best exclusives.
  15. Jan 30, 2017
    Con la llegada confirmada de la secuela se deben tomar las molestias para jugar o rejugar este juego japonés, vaya que belleza de juego con los estudios ghibli en la parte visual y un trasfondo del mas puro y clásico rpg, esta es la historia de un niño, magia, 2 mundos y una madre perdida (o muerta). de ahí solo se abre un libro que te enviara a los mas grandes y peculiares sueños. unCon la llegada confirmada de la secuela se deben tomar las molestias para jugar o rejugar este juego japonés, vaya que belleza de juego con los estudios ghibli en la parte visual y un trasfondo del mas puro y clásico rpg, esta es la historia de un niño, magia, 2 mundos y una madre perdida (o muerta). de ahí solo se abre un libro que te enviara a los mas grandes y peculiares sueños. un juego perfecto Expand
  16. Mar 23, 2017
    This is another on the list of masterpiece RPGs you must play in your lifetime. The plot from beginning to end will keep your pressing through each save unto the early hours of the morning. Not many RPGs in recent years have struck me the way Ni No Kuni has. My first qualification for such a positive rating is the holy trinity: challenging, rewarding, and emotionally impacting. InThis is another on the list of masterpiece RPGs you must play in your lifetime. The plot from beginning to end will keep your pressing through each save unto the early hours of the morning. Not many RPGs in recent years have struck me the way Ni No Kuni has. My first qualification for such a positive rating is the holy trinity: challenging, rewarding, and emotionally impacting. In RPGs which tell a linear story it MUST be compelling. Trust me when I say, this game will pull at you emotionally. The combat system is unique and impressively intense at times. The final showdown in the game will have you enjoying every aspect of the combat you experience throughout. A perfect climax in terms of the system they used. All other bells and whistles of the game were otherwise perfect. If it didn't have so digital downloads, copies of this game would be worth 80-100 dollars in appreciation, years from now. Go play this game! Expand
  17. Dec 8, 2013
    For RPG fans this game is a must. Superb visuals and music, very charming and special. The characters are fun and the main character is just cute. Only drawback, like every RPG game, is the combat grinding. But that's the whole point, so get this game if you like games like Persona 4.
    Oh, and the British accent is weird but at least humorous.
  18. Feb 13, 2013
    Bought this for my wife, and she seems to really like it. Aside from an annoying tutorial, if you love any classics like Princess Mononoke, or Howl's, you'll love the direction and story in this game.
  19. Jan 27, 2013
    Wonderful. I don't understand how any website could give this a bad review. This game is gorgeous, emotional, challenging, addictive, and satisfying. I think people have been pampered by easy games and don't understand the concept of a "real hardcore" RPG. If you have even the slightest interest in RPGs or Miyazaki, buy this now dude!
  20. Feb 6, 2013
    So far I really like this game. Im not a fan of a JRPG genre so I must agree with some complains here especially the repetitiveness or strange controls of the combats (three buttons to use defend? Come on...). But otherwise it is a great game. It has beautifull graphics with amazing atmosphere (just the 2D cutscenes could use bigger framerate). The story is heartwarming. And I love theSo far I really like this game. Im not a fan of a JRPG genre so I must agree with some complains here especially the repetitiveness or strange controls of the combats (three buttons to use defend? Come on...). But otherwise it is a great game. It has beautifull graphics with amazing atmosphere (just the 2D cutscenes could use bigger framerate). The story is heartwarming. And I love the attention of the details (Wizards Compantion book, etc). This game is like definition of a term "High production details". There is so much executed so well, you will gladly forgive few shortcomings. Expand
  21. Feb 14, 2013
    Before saying anything bad about this game, I want to be perfectly clear: this is a good game, it's detailed, it's cured, it's a great JRPG, one of the fewest of this generation, and almost everything works perfectly. Almost, because there was one thing that really put me off during the entire game: the combat. While everything is fantastic in the game, it's probably the combat the partBefore saying anything bad about this game, I want to be perfectly clear: this is a good game, it's detailed, it's cured, it's a great JRPG, one of the fewest of this generation, and almost everything works perfectly. Almost, because there was one thing that really put me off during the entire game: the combat. While everything is fantastic in the game, it's probably the combat the part where it basically fails in some parts (and partially, also the story). Anyway, the best parts of this game, are the graphics which are godly and really reeks of the mark of Studio Ghibli (their movies are some of the best japan animations ever), and with also some fantastic cel-shaded graphics that literally destroys the photo-realistic graphics of the latest games. The music is also great and it really becomes remarkable unlike many other games, with bland music and forgettable tunes (and reminds of Studio Ghibli too). The story, while nothing special, is pretty good too...but some characters aren't that great and the last part of the game is obviously a needless filler (since this game was supposed to come from the Nintendo DS version...and it shows). Finally we also get a world map that's FULLY explorable, by sailing and by flying, after a long time of linear JRPGs and similar, and that alone is a great addition for the game since it basically brings back one of the most important detail of a roleplaying game: exploration. And like I said, this game is great, but it's the combat that's basically a bit of a disappointment: you click a command (attack, spells, etc) and during that time you see your monsters (or yourself) fighting for a period of time (you'll see a clock) and then you click again to do the same thing again, while your compagnions are lead by the (CRAPPY) AI...but you still have to give orders everytime and while you can move (and actually avoid damage) you'll still have to give constant orders whenever the clock runs out...again, this is one of those JRPGs that attempts to make an hybrid between a turn-based system and an action based system...and it fails hard., although it's still better than most of recent JRPGs...but after all this time from the nintendo DS release, where the game WAS turn-based,, we get a clearly rushed battle system that was supposed to be a turn-based one (and again, it shows!) and tried to make it more action...and while it doesn't have particular flaws, the AI is still bad and you'll basically do most of the skills and spell, while you'll let your compagnions do the most basic jobs (like healing). This just bothers me because they could've just gone for complete action based, with just one button to attack and such, but instead we still NEED to give orders and wait to give more. Just like a normal turn-based rpg...except it's not. Ok, the fights let you also control by having an all-out attack and all-out defense, since bosses can do attacks that can be dangerous, and the guard is strong. But it still begs the quest "why didn't it turn into a complete action-base combat"...and that's why I'll give it a 9, because everything else works greatly (with just the story having some "hiccups"), but it's the combat the part that highly disappointed me. But even that, it's a great JRPG after all and one of those who finally exploits the power of ps3 by giving us great graphics (and not necessarily realistic), a good story to follow, which seems more like a Studio Ghibli production indeed, and the possibility to explore the game again like old JRPGs used to. If you love JRPGs, you will love this one, and I highly suggest to give it a try. Expand
  22. Aug 30, 2013
    I got the collector's edition with the Drippy plushie. This is a really good game, it's like Pokemon mixed with one of the "Tales of" games. Combat is fun, the collecting aspect will drive many completionists. My only issue with the game is that the story is somewhat predictable (though still enjoyable).
  23. Feb 28, 2013
    Ni No Kuni is a gorgeous, warmhearted tale about a boy who departs on a great adventure with the sole purpose of saving his Mom and finds himself engulfed in a mission to save a kingdom. The graphics are beautiful, the characters very lovable and it plays like a (old school) Final Fantasy meets Pokémon (in a good way). You need to kind animals (called "familiars"), tame them, train themNi No Kuni is a gorgeous, warmhearted tale about a boy who departs on a great adventure with the sole purpose of saving his Mom and finds himself engulfed in a mission to save a kingdom. The graphics are beautiful, the characters very lovable and it plays like a (old school) Final Fantasy meets Pokémon (in a good way). You need to kind animals (called "familiars"), tame them, train them and equip them so that they are your champions in the field (but you get to battle, as well, like a wizard-puppeteer of some sort). The map is expanding and, although clearly a game that a younger audience could relate to, this does not mean the game is easy; it can be quite challenging sometimes, requiring some though and strategy as you progress. Throw in a lot of side-quests, funny dialogue and you get yourself a solid jRPG to keep you hook for weeks. I totally recommend it. Expand
  24. Dec 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have played it for about 6-8hours, something like that, and I must say, this is one great RPG. I have a few issues with it though: The respawning of enemies will end up sending you into a lot of fights you would rather not have, especially in the beginning, and it can be quite tedious, they should either remove the respawn or lengthen it considerably, for my taste. The abilities you use in the world, outside combat, are all cool and I like the ideas behind the spells and abilities, but, at this point, it feels like they are too coincidental (oh this dude needs some enthusiasm, oh look there is someone right next to the person with alot of it), and that kind of diminish the feel of it a bit.
    Also the Gateway spell seems weird, in the beginning it is stated that it needs a lot of space to be cast, but after the first time you can pretty much cast it anywhere you want (haven't cast it anywhere yet where I was told it wouldn't work).
    Could do with some more voice acting, the ticking sound of the letters being typed in accordance with the characters mimicking the words is annoying, would be preferrable if it all was voice acted. The voice acting when it is there, is excellent.
    The graphics are good technically, it is definitely not an ugly gem, but the true pleasure comes from the games aesthetics. If you miss the old hand drawn cartoons and would like to play a game that look hand drawn, this is it. I for one find this very charming, and very different.
    I hear that it is very long, and I dont think im even 10% through it yet, so you will definitely get your moneys worth of entertainment. Story wise it seems, so far, to be a pearl, so that will keep you entertained throughout.
  25. Feb 18, 2013
    Ni No Kuni combines the talents of Level 5 and Studio Ghibli to create one of the most interesting JRPGs in years. The story revolves around (our hero) Oliver who enters another world with his companion Mr. Drippy. The two worlds are connected, so if Oliver doesn't save the day in Mr. Drippy's world, then both worlds will parish. The gameplay is mostly standard JRPG fare, you'll meetNi No Kuni combines the talents of Level 5 and Studio Ghibli to create one of the most interesting JRPGs in years. The story revolves around (our hero) Oliver who enters another world with his companion Mr. Drippy. The two worlds are connected, so if Oliver doesn't save the day in Mr. Drippy's world, then both worlds will parish. The gameplay is mostly standard JRPG fare, you'll meet interesting people, gather allies, go to different places and resolve different problems. The game takes classic JRPG elements, adds in a touch of Pokemon-esque monster catching evolving. The combat is live action and relies on a combination of cool-down and MP for magic. Each character shares their HP and MP with their familiar. It's an interesting system and with over 250 familiars to catch, provides a lot of depth. There are a lot of small facets to the combat and the familiars that really add depth to the game. Visually, there's little to be said of the game. The game looks just like an animated film and the hand drawn scenes done by Studio Ghibli are simply stunning. Musical score (besides the battle theme) perfectly compliment the game and the voice work is amazing. The game is well done but is plagued by a number of poor decision on the developer's part. You only control one character while the other two are controlled by the AI, which is terrible. You have minimal options to dictate what the AI does but regardless of what you select, the AI is almost always irrational and often becomes a huge burden during most battles. The game also offers a huge world and lots of quest, but the slow travel rate make most of the quests very tedious. After 22 hours (just past the half-way point), you get a quick travel and flight ability back-to-back. ARG!! They should have given you quick travel much earlier (like after 10 hours)!! There are also parts of the story that feel tacked on... because they were. The PS3 version of this game added on a lot of story element's to the original (Japanese only) DS release of this game. These additions to the story definitely stick out and results in an really poor "real" ending. Post-game, you get a lot of additional quests but they're very tedious (back tracking, item farming), give lackluster rewards, and do not add anything to the story. These are just some of the more notable issues but the others are not as annoying. However... with all of that said, I couldn't help but enjoy the game for the most part. It will test you patience at times and irritate you, but Ni No Kuni is a visually stunning game and provides for a deep JPRG experience. Expand
  26. Feb 11, 2013
    One of the most amazing and refreshing gaming experiences I've had in years, just such a joy to play.
  27. Feb 6, 2013
    FIRST IMPRESSIONS I shall return to review this upon completion. Well I'm 9 hours in have only two familiars and am thoroughly enjoying this impressive JRPG. I'm still currently having my hand held through gameplay with new spells, responsibilities and tools being unlocked as I go which really contributes to the depth on offer here. Ni No Kuni IS an important JRPG because it demonstratesFIRST IMPRESSIONS I shall return to review this upon completion. Well I'm 9 hours in have only two familiars and am thoroughly enjoying this impressive JRPG. I'm still currently having my hand held through gameplay with new spells, responsibilities and tools being unlocked as I go which really contributes to the depth on offer here. Ni No Kuni IS an important JRPG because it demonstrates to the Japanese what western players love about the genre and this is being shown in sales and acclaim (though some western critics still stubbornly dismiss the gameplay and combat as dull). Personally I have always loved turn-based combat, and whilst the FF series lost this when square soft merged to become square-enix through awful ATB, Level-5 bring it back via Pokemon and form something that's fast, fluid and not a chore. Battles come and go so quickly that there's no tsk when an enemy forces you to engage. What's even better is the fact that if you grind for a while enemy encounters will generally lessen because the enemies no longer attack and instead will attempt to flee from a confrontation. This is a much welcomed move which really refines the combat and any qualms modern gamers may have with it. In terms of story, Ghibli has not been watered down that much, providing a fantastic coming-of-age tale that comes off as touching and mature. The cutesy animation may put players off, but for those who have always enjoyed Ghibli's output (myself included) there is really no excuse not to pick this up. The characters of Oliver and Mr Drippy are fresh, vivid and more importantly relatable, and the dialogue exchanges are humorous as well as informative if you're getting overwhelmed with the gameplay information. You're even provided with a pokedex type journal which allows you to view all the creatures you'll come across in the game, which includes video animations and information which can aid you in defeating them. Couple this with side quests aplenty, a beautiful world map to explore, towns with talkative inhabitants and some the gorgeous animated cutscenes and you have the recipe for the finest JRPG since Disgaea (just my opinion). Expand
  28. Aug 3, 2015
    Amazing game, easily in my top 10 games of last gen. It's basically a hybrid Pokemon game, and a pretty good one at that. The grinding/looting/ capturing was crazy addicting and also crazy rewarding. When you go the extra mile in this game you know you'll be rewarded, (which some games don't). The overall gameplay was fun, challenging, and refreshing. The hybrid real time battle system isAmazing game, easily in my top 10 games of last gen. It's basically a hybrid Pokemon game, and a pretty good one at that. The grinding/looting/ capturing was crazy addicting and also crazy rewarding. When you go the extra mile in this game you know you'll be rewarded, (which some games don't). The overall gameplay was fun, challenging, and refreshing. The hybrid real time battle system is perfect in this game imo, it is strategic and feels awesome when you finally beat a boss or a bounty hunt. The story was good and i enjoyed the characters and story missions, but must say i wasn't wowed by the ending. The open world element of this game was a cherry on top, looting for ingredients , grinding and trying to find strong familiars, etc. all added to the adventure and amazing variety of this game. The only negatives were the annoying reappearing monsters during story missions and the lack of feel of whether or not a familiar is any good when you start, the revelation in the story was kind of meh to me, but thats imo. To end, this is basically Pokemon for ps3, whaddya waiting for! Expand
  29. Mar 15, 2013
    I had become calloused and cold-hearted towards JRPG's over the years where the last time I remember enjoying the genre was FF6 and Chrono Trigger back on the SNES. Ni No Kuni is defiantly in my top five favorite JRPG's of all time and potentially takes the top spot in my heart. While the combat is real time turn basted it mixes up the formula in a way that makes combat fun so evenI had become calloused and cold-hearted towards JRPG's over the years where the last time I remember enjoying the genre was FF6 and Chrono Trigger back on the SNES. Ni No Kuni is defiantly in my top five favorite JRPG's of all time and potentially takes the top spot in my heart. While the combat is real time turn basted it mixes up the formula in a way that makes combat fun so even grinding never feels like a chore. The story is well written and the characters are lovable. Also while the game dose a fair bit of hand holding I found some of the puzzles to be actually engaging. I could go on, but if any part of you ever at any point enjoyed a JRPG then pick up Ni No Kuni because it's a classic and probably one of the best in years. Expand
  30. Dec 20, 2013
    One of the best RPGs that I have ever played. Ni no Kuni is a beautiful mixture of the traditional JRPG combined with gorgeous graphics, a wonderful story, interesting cast of characters and thoughtful gameplay.

1. Ni No Kuni offers players an experience unlike almost any other RPG. At once, you are transported back to the innocence of a childhood filled with monsters, magic, and mysticism; but at the same time you find yourself immersed in an emotional story about a protagonist dealing with his innermost emotions.
  2. Apr 11, 2013
    The entertaining battles and the resolutions of plot threads as the game progressed toward the final credits were worth paying the cost of a slow start to the gameplay. This is a game that we'll be talking about for years to come, and I'm happy to have played it.
  3. Apr 1, 2013
    Despite the delayed journey to the West, Ni No Kuni is definitely a title you should at least give a chance. There is a demo up on PSN that you can go ahead and download, and once you get used to the combat system and mechanics of the game, you’ll be treated to an adventure like no other.