NIER PlayStation 3

8.4

1. Randyb
    May 5, 2010
    While to be honest i did'nt have very high expectations for square enixs latest title and sometimes i'am wrong and get blown away, unfortunatly this was not one of those times. Nier's story is the reason to stick around for 30+ hours of gameplay, thats assuming you can live through some of the most bland and simple combat in an action rpg. The combat feels empty and While to be honest i did'nt have very high expectations for square enixs latest title and sometimes i'am wrong and get blown away, unfortunatly this was not one of those times. Nier's story is the reason to stick around for 30+ hours of gameplay, thats assuming you can live through some of the most bland and simple combat in an action rpg. The combat feels empty and spamming magic attacks usually means the end of any non-boss encounter. As if that was'nt disheartning enough, the game is filled with huge enviroments with nothing to do but monster hunter like gathering quests. If your looking for a truly unique story and world nier may have your answer but ask your self is it really worth it? the answers up to you but for me the answer is a definitive no!. Expand
  2. Dec 21, 2010
    A highly original action-RPG that adds all sorts of wild ideas into the mix, from 2D platforming to bullet hell shooters. Dreamy musics, good characters, and an interesting story but on the other hand, it's a bit short, looks bland, has monotonous combat, and is lacking in compelling side content. Still well worth a playthrough or two, though.
  3. Dec 23, 2013
    Interesting and creative story, not to mention breathtaking music; it falls a touch short in terms of game mechanics, but for how cheaply it can be found in stores (I bought my new copy a couple years ago for $10), it's completely worth it. Replay value is on the lesser side, but it's enough to drag you back in every few months. Quite solid characters and their development, consideringInteresting and creative story, not to mention breathtaking music; it falls a touch short in terms of game mechanics, but for how cheaply it can be found in stores (I bought my new copy a couple years ago for $10), it's completely worth it. Replay value is on the lesser side, but it's enough to drag you back in every few months. Quite solid characters and their development, considering how short the game actually is. Gorgeous art too for those interested in the graphic aspects, not so much the actual 3D rendering but the concept sketches and promotional materials are amazing. This title was quite the pleasant surprise. Expand
  4. Jan 4, 2014
    I came into this game with an underdog mindset, in which the fans loved it but the critics panned it. And I left this game with the feeling that it truly deserved the 6's and 7's it was receiving back in 2010.

Story and Music can only comprise so much of the score, but everything else is really mediocre. The level design is re-used many times, the combat is a really boring form of hack and slash, and there is also a ton of unnecessary backtracking. The voice-acting didn't really fit the persona of the characters either.

The only positives I can say about this game is that it tried to be different, and it's refreshing when we're getting a lot of formulaic games now. But, the developers were a bit too ambitious with their ideas for this game, and it was implemented properly.

I am not a graphics hog but this game feels like from the PS2 era with the exception of the boss fights. It's on the graphical level of shadow of the colossus.

I really can't recommend this game to anyone unless you have played everything else you've wanted to play, and you just want this game a shot. For me, it isn't the hidden gem/masterpiece I was expecting.
  5. Jul 10, 2012
    Interesting premise. But drags on for too long. The middle could have been shortened a lot.
  6. Jun 25, 2011
    Nier suffers from subpar graphics, subpar story/presentation, and a lot of repetition; doing dungeons for the third time except with different enemies is rather boring and the combat, while passable, isn't anything to get excited about. The one standout point is the beautiful, if somewhat repetitive soundtrack.

1. Feb 9, 2011
    Nier won't wow players with its basic mechanics, but in the story it tells, the characters it develops, and the themes present throughout play, it will easily win over anyone seeking something emotionally exploratory and well off the beaten path.
  2. A bizarre mix of influences and a great script still can't save this inventive but flawed role-player.
  3. Nier comes with a bizarre mix of influences and its own accomplishments. Not all of it works, but it's a commendable effort, and a great experience.