8.4

1. Nov 28, 2010
    (SPOILER FREE!!!)

Wow what can I say! This game really is one of the best games of 2010. The story and characters are really great and touching. The graphical art style is fantastic.

The combat is very fun.

There are lots of optional sidequests throughout the game and there all different.

The game probably has one of the most amazing beautiful ost's ever.
  2. Aug 25, 2010
    Nier is a awesome game. I give it 10/10.

It is unique, dark, interesting, and insane. It is truely unique. I love this game. The soundtrack is so beautiful. How anyone can score this any lower than 10/10 is beyond me. The graphics are fine. It never slows down. That is something to say. It is a amazing story. A dark, intelligent and unique game. Brilliantly and well written. I love Nier. :)
  3. Sep 13, 2010
    NIER is the surprise of the year. Incredibly engaging, boldly weird and consistently fun. Take a chance and you may be rewarded with one of the most unique, bizarre and worthwhile experiences this generation. For a medium whose proponents constantly deride a lack of innovation and yet consistently reward that lack with huge sales and glowing reviews, I am relieved that a little weirdie like NIER can slip through the wall of mediocrity and be amazing and strange despite many critics' wish to kill it with fire. It is not for everyone, and thank god. Expand
  4. Nov 16, 2011
    Picked Nier up for $20 new, and wow, I'm amazed, it's now one of my all time favorites. I had a tough time putting it down after I started playing, mostly in part due to the freakingly amazing soundtrack, great use of cinematography, well written and voice acted dialogue, and addictively interesting and sometimes frustratingly painful sidequests/extras. The plot is simple, however, the story delves much much deeper, hinting a number of underlying tones which keeps you interested. The characters are memorable and engaging, and the game demonstrates good character development/degradation. Nier's pacing and use of cutscenes' is effective, and the save point system is interesting, logical, and intelligently placed. Very well featured with plenty of things to keep you occupied. Maybe it's too well featured, it attempts to do A LOT of things, and sometimes, you just want to stick to a certain weapon/magic/technique/style of gameplay, and be more time efficient and just get the job done. Art style and quality can definitely be improved for some parts of the game (like Nier's head), however, little things like changing the camera control in certain levels to change the atmosphere of the gaming experience is commendable. Other preferred improvements would be having more art assets and level environments to add more to the world experience and lessen some of the repetitive nature of the game. Regardless of the repetition, I give props to the development team for making extensive use of their assets/levels, and creating a unique, mature-themed Action RPG. If you're into 10- hour games, Nier probably isn't for you. To have a complete experience, be prepared to invest a good amount of time, at least 40 hours or more for sidequests, extras, trophies, and the multiple playthroughs to complete all scenarios. Anyways, just wow. Expand
  5. Jan 31, 2012
    This is an excellent game. It has one of the best soundtracks ever heard in a video game. The graphics aren't amazing but are good enough. There is so much variety in the game and many different styles come together brilliantly. This game is a love letter to many different rpgs from text-based adventures to Secret of Mana. The story in Nier is one of the strongest and unique I have come across. There are numerous side quests that when completed deliver emotional impact with a simple speech bubble filled with text. The game encourages multiple playthroughs, but this never feels like a chore thanks to some narrative trickery. I spent so many hours playing this game and it saddens me that I cannot play in again for the first time. Expand
  6. Mar 3, 2012
    Nier it's amazing in almost everything, the story it's freaking awensome, the character are really good, and the music it's soo good!, people, BUY this game, it's very good!
    Final: 10, a pure masterpiece.
  7. Apr 27, 2013
    One of the very few games I actually played until I had everything the game has to offer, including the platinum trophy. Despite the heavy grinding necessary to do that, the soundtrack managed to keep me motivated all through the process.

Nier is a fantastic game. It may not be able to compete with the graphics of the latest Call of Duty or the combat of earlier Devil May Cry
    installments, but this is one of the few games that has a real "soul". It's hard to explain. You have to experience it yourself or you will miss what is one of the greatest gaming experiences I've had in the past two decades.

Even over a year after finishing it, I still listen to the soundtrack every now and then and check some of the best cutscenes on Youtube. I can't wait for Drakengard 3.
  8. Sep 15, 2013
    Amazing Game.
    Cryptic story, with a really dark and interesting background (Drakengard?)...character design is brilliant and the style of the game is really functional for the context and the story. The battle system is quite approximate, but it works.
    Dialogues sometimes are trivial or even superficial, but other are fantastic. Atmosphere is awesome and OST is a master piece, so perfect
    for the game, with such a deep personality and unique style.
    Truly an underrated gem.
  9. Nov 6, 2012
    Some expert reviewers have called it 'boring' others called it 'ugly', but against these criticisms fans still openly think this game is a classic. I just cant fathom why the poor reviews! As a game the controls and combat are fluid and intuitive, the voice acting is great, and the story is one of the best i've seen to date. Its an unusual mix of Western and Japanese RPG / Action adventure, and anyone interested in either should give this game a shot. No doubt it has its shortcomings - some of the side quests are a little tedious, and the grinding involved in achieving the trophies is beyond masochism. Regardless of these slight problems NIER is a joy to play, its characters are endering, and the end play is spectacular. I hope the poor reviews dont stop this fantaastic game becoming the cult classic it deserved to become! Expand
  10. Mar 24, 2011
    Probably one of the most underrated games of all time. The game has it's flaws. The graphics aren't impressive at all, some mechanics aren't too polished or even fun but overall this game is an amazing experience. The story, the characters, the music... it's all over the top. I found myself playing this game nonstop so i could check the next ending as soon as i could. This game is a piece of art.
  11. Mar 25, 2011
    It's one of the best games I have ever played!The atmosphere and story are incredible!The fighting is very addictive.Do yourself a favor and buy this! 9/10
  12. Apr 12, 2011
    Nier completely surprised me, no, shocked me. I thought I was buying a decent action rpg by Square Enix and I found an incredible rpg with a soundtrack that could easily compete for the best of the genre's history, a story that moved me to play the game multiple times just to get all the possible endings (the last one left me speechless) and the ability to use mechanics from many genres to differentiate its sections, ranging from survival horror to text adventure to shoot'em up. Its heroes were one of a kind, and I can guarantee that anyone who buy it will be blown away by the way this game handles its story.

It hasn't the best production values of a Ps3 jrpg (it's quite mediocre, to put it bluntly), but anyone willing to look over the polygon count is in for a great ride, something that more polished home console rpgs haven't been able to deliver in this generation.
  13. Oct 24, 2012
    I avoided this great game because of the bad reviews it got, I picked it up cheap and I must say that I do not know wtf the "pro" reviewers were playing but all I know is this game is good. The graphics aren't that good but the game itself is a masterpiece. How can you give this game a bad review and give Call of Duty good scores for the same game every year. Give me a break. I bet I have played more video games in my life then you "pro" reviewers and I collected every system (just missing the jaguar) and I have thousands of games so I know what the hell I'm talking about. This is a good game, don't listen to these so called idiot "pro" reviewers who no nothing about video games. Expand
  14. Jan 2, 2014
    SPOILER FREE **

I play games for story, and this game now that I have completely finished it ranks in my top 5. I would actually say it's number 3 after Xenogears and Xenosaga series, just edging out Planescape: Torment. The gameplay itself can be boring, the world is small and repetitive, but if you can push through that it's HIGHLY rewarding. Masterpiece of video game storytelling.
  15. May 16, 2011
    Great game. This game reminds me alot of Illusion of Gaia. A different kind of RPG that is quirky, feels different and yet familar at the same time. Great soundtrack, I personally dont think the graphics are bad at all having grown up with the snes/ps1 and so on, and the gameplay keeps you interested.
  16. Jun 11, 2012
    This game is a true gem. It is made by people who love games, not by people who wanna maximize profit. You feel that each moment you play this game. The characters are true, you really care for them, environments are beautifull,, soundtrack...well it's the best I have ever heard in a game (and I have been playing games for 30 years now). Story is original and encourages you to play on. It has four! different endings. Buy this game. you will not regret it.â Expand
  17. Jul 5, 2013
    This game truly is special. The critic score is absurdly low. The first play through alone is worth getting it for. The second play through (which starts you at about the halfway point) is what elevates it to a truly phenomenal game. I won't spoil it, but the second play through really makes you think about the whole game differently. There's also a whole grimoire which can be found online which has a ton of the lore. One of my friends, who I think has the most insightful opinions about video games of anyone I know or have seen online, ranks Nier as one of his favorite games, and I can absolutely see why. It's not perfect, but it has a nice variety of different play styles, which actually mesh together quite nicely. As others have said, the music is fantastic as well. Depending on how much grinding you do, you may get tired of the music, but nevertheless it's still one of the best soundtracks I've heard. If you like RPGs/ARPGs, just pick it up... you won't be disappointed. Expand
  18. Jun 25, 2012
    Nier isn't perfect. It's a game with mediocre gameplay and graphics. However, it really shines in both the soundtrack and story. This game made me feel things that I haven't felt since I played Silent Hill 2 for the first time. If you enjoy a good story and music, check this out. But make sure you at least get the second ending!
  19. May 2, 2013
    Nier...what a beautiful game you are.
    You don't need a game of ''OMGWTFASDGDFYJE'' graphics to amaze a true gamer.
    Nier has got one of the most touching, dark and melancholic story this gen.( It's written by Yoko Taro, so duh? A soundtrack that's at least worth a place in The Top 3 Best OSTs of All Time.
    You really feel connected with the main character and his friends/allies and the
    game presents a father daughter relationship like no other game has done before, even after.
    Side missions don't feel like a big burden and some even have a touching story with them *sniff* poor doggy *sniff* ).
    And another thing that Nier does differently than the rest...Endings.
    All four endings of Nier delivered.
    And as you expect from Yoko Taro, be prepared for NG+.
    The more you play and you slowly start to unlock the other endings, it starts to get more depressing and more and more and more... I've never ever felt such an empty feeling in my chest ever unlocking every ending. You'll get warped back at the beginning of Act 2 when doing NG+, so you don't start all the way at the beginning).
    But there were only one and a half things that bugged the hell out of me: The lack of more locations and some lack of polish and detail of the existing levels.
    Nier is a gem in every way. From the changing gameplay to the OST.
    If you can forgive it's technical shortcomings and you want a story with an explosive climax or a change of scenery in the JRPG scene, then please try this game out.
    You can only imagine what Cavia could've done with a bigger budget and a little bit more time.
    Mos def a 9/10: EPIC!!!
    ( Forgive me if my English sucks. I'm still learning
  20. Jun 25, 2013
    there are many reasons to give this game a lower score...i kinda understand...
    BUT....is a soccer player worse because he got a weird name....because he doesn´t look like brad pitt? NO.
    Same with this game! What do you want from a game? is it the detailed landscape? the 100% real animation...sync on every villager?...if so...it´s not your game...
    if you want to experience an epic story,
    with great characters....a twisted, dark, dead world.....it is your game!! it maybe is the game, you can´t compare it to many other games...it´s unique and great!
    in the game, i was taking care of my "daughter" every time i was in town...because i actually did care about her!
    the fights, monsters and equipment, all unique and great!
    and on top of all that, this epic soundtrack....
    give this game a chance! you might fall in love with it even in 2013...and i bet, if this game would have been released on ps2 ~2006, it would be a AAA+ Titel with press review around 92+
  21. Feb 27, 2014
    I'll be honest i wasn't expecting much when i 1st got it. After playing my first playthrough i can say that this game surprised me. I enjoyed everything for the story to the combat, with a great sound track and amazing atmosphere i really enjoyed myself. I did find it a bit too easy though and most bosses didn't require much thought on how to beat but (note: i was playing on normal) but regardless i had so much fun. The undertones you get mid-late game are really nice (i won't spoil anything). Overall i think it was a great buy way to go Squenix! Expand
  22. Nov 7, 2013
    For those seeking a game with an engaging story, interesting characters search no more, you have found it. The story and game atmosphere are for me, the games biggest strengths. If I would to compare this game to another it would be to Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, because of how the game is story-driven, of how it pulls you in, surprises and influences you. This game can bring out manly tears, and unless you weren't paying any attention at all to the game it won't leave you indifferent to the characters. This is possible because of the characters, the dialog (level of a good novel), great voice acting, and fantastic music (which you will likely want to listen to a bit even outside of the game). It is also a game worth playing more than once, as the narrative changes a little on your next walkthrough.

The gameplay (fighting mechanics etc.) itself is OK, but no more than that. The same can be said about the graphics.

For me, this was a hidden gem, an experience that won't be forgotten for a long time. For those that like story-driven games, and accept good (not great) gameplay mechanics this is a must have.
  23. Jan 4, 2014
    NIER is, simply put, astounding.

The gameplay, though not revolutionary, is fluent and engaging and the incorporation of magic into the combat is done in a less than conventional way to add a flavour of uniqueness to the gameplay.

However, where the game shines brightest is the soundtrack, the story and the characters. The soundtrack is amazingly well crafted, in some ways quite
    simplistic but beautiful nonetheless and it suits the setting perfectly. The story is mature and quite emotional, as it tells the story of a man trapped in a dying world trying to save his daughter. There are some twists and turns along the way and altogether it makes for a very engaging experience.

Finally, the characters. The primary protagonist is a middle-aged man who is, as stated previously, fighting to save his daughter. He's a hard worker and skilled warrior that makes his living by putting his skills to good use and hiring himself out to help the villagers that have showed he and his daughter so much kindness and charity in the past in whatever tasks they need help with, from doing their shopping and hunting down eggs (hidden by some very canny chickens) to taking on a ferocious wild boar. He is a hard man, also quite different from what some would expect from a JRPG in that he looks like he's being beaten over the head with an ugly stick.

The interactions between the characters are terrific, in particular between our hero and Weiss, his floating companion. Overall, this game is terrific. I've loved it since I bought it and I think any RPG fan would enjoy it thoroughly.
  24. Jun 17, 2011
    For the RPG fan. This game really makes you love all the characters, not in an over the top way like FFXIII either. graphics may be bad but if you want a good engaging RPG then this is definitely it. i bought this the same time i got darksiders (also a brilliant game) i played darksiders for an hour then turned on Nier. as soon as i saw the graphics in nier i wont lie i was eager to get back to darksiders.... however in actual fact darksiders stayed in its box for another month+. Nier has that "thing" that makes you go back for more, it has a brilliant story and cast and ending D is one of the best endings i have EVER seen in a game. if you doubt me that this is such a brilliant game just look at the user score, there the people who played it and got turned into fans. i bet the critics giving it a bad score diddnt even play it because the graphics diddnt look like it was COD. Expand
  25. Feb 23, 2011
    i really like this game in a very dragon age lite kind of way. i reviewed it better because the action is quicker hack n slash, but the repetitive music got to me in areas i had trouble advancing through. definetly a overlooked square enix gem.
  26. Dec 5, 2010
    2010 greatest gaming hidden gem. This game is one of the best, if not the best game to come out this year and deserves to be in ANY gamers collection.
  27. Jan 16, 2011
    The best story and best soundtrack prizes for a game since 2000 must be awarded to this game. Altough game play mechanics are a little messed up, there is no game in 2008-2010 segment had achieved the quality of this title in its genre. Any review that scores this games music lower then 10 is sided, I can say that easily. At first I was afraid of platform gaming in rpg will not bode well, but carefully aligned difficulty levels makes it enjoyable. Also the primary element of rpg gaming has returned with this title back after years of waiting. It is creating burst of emotions in the player. This game really creates emotions (and can make you cry, can make you angered, can make you wishing for a good revenge) which was a lost but most important aspect of RPG gaming. I really can't understand the reviews it was taking. The revievers at major game magazines must have not played this game. If so, they really missed a great game even it wasn't for their taste. I wasn't full filled with any game released in last 5 years, but have full filled with this title. It's much much better then FFXIII, much better then star ocean and better then the lost odyssey. A word of advise go get it however you can. If not, know that you are losing the greatest story, greatest sound track and greatest emotions that a rpg game can offer... Expand
  28. Jan 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A hidden gem of its times, greatly under appreciated by many. One of the best game I have ever played in my entire life, while combat may be clunky and repetitive, NIER makes up for every single bit of it with the immensely good story and lovable characters and the whole feel of the post apocalyptic world. (SPOILER) The dialogues of all the bosses you encounter on your second play through brings tears to your eyes, never before I was torn between sympathizing more with the main character or the bosses, never (SPOILER) Expand
  29. Mar 16, 2011
    i cannot think of a reason as to why the critics have scored this game so low i mean the graphics arent as good as some games and at some points the story is a bit confusing but those may be the only things i could think of as to why they would mark it down. honestly this is an awsome game and pretty original in my opinion since you are a father who goes out to try and save his daughter from a deadly disease with the help of a foul mouthed hussy and a know it all book. the game play is also pretty solid with a pretty good fighting system and there is not that long of a load time in beetween places after you download it for the first time. also the voice acting is pretty nice as well and there are parts where it is genuinely funny and has made me laugh pretty hard. there is so much to do in this game as well because if you somehow get tired of the main story line you can help the villagers with thier own special little side quests and they usually give good rewards for the completion of them. this is defenatly a must own and do not listen to the critics they do not know what they are talking about on this one, i mean look at the ppl that whent out and bought the game most of us agree that this is an amazing game and is completely underrated Expand
  30. May 5, 2011
    amazing game. the soundtrack and story are what made this such an enjoyable game. main story line is fantastic. only issue i have with the game is the weak side quests that are ultimately a bunch of go fetch quests. i stuck to the main quest and avoided the majority of side quests and still had around 18 hours of great game play. if you're looking for more hours there are multiple endings that allow you to play through the game as a different character, and there are numerous side quests. i didn't even complete 1/4th of the missions and only played through the game once which led to me finishing under 20 hours. i definitely recommend this game to rpg fans. Expand
  31. Jan 3, 2014
    I really wish there were more games like Nier, the game is so good and so fresh it's a testament to how the games industry has lost it's way, Nier just comes in and shows everyone how to make a game into a unique delightful experience that reminded me of why i chose to play games, why i became a gamer in the first place, whether it's the action packed dynamic combat system it has that's simple but not shallow in any way, or maybe the ever-changing gameplay style that always has a surprise for you around the corner (from a text-RPG to a Diablo style level), keeps things fresh and challenges genre conventions, or maybe the amazing music which i can call with passion "The Best OST" in any game to date (Oh, the moment you go out to the first large area of the game and "Hill of Radiant Winds" starts playing you will know why i called it that), or maybe it's the mystery surrounding the story and world, or maybe the very eccentric yet relatble cast of characters (and what's more relatble than a father ready to fight the whole world to save his daughter from a terminal illness), or maybe the excellent voice acting and the ever-amusing never-boring banter between the characters in-game (specially the main character and his flying magic book) which was more of a reason to attempt as many quests as possible as they trigger those in-game conversations etc etc etc.

If you haven't played Nier do yourself a favor a play it now, it's a gem of a game and has be unjustly brought down by graphics-whores and simplistic minded official reviewers, take the people's word for it and ignore all those "official reviews" that rated it down, you won't regret it.
  32. May 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the best, if not the best, games of 2010. Nier is a deep, unique, artful, significant, Action RPG with a Bullet Hell twist and a tribute to Zelda and the likes. The story, music and the characters are among the best of its genre and the gameplay is refreshing. Expand
  33. Dec 12, 2011
    This game is one of the best games i have played. If you like Kingdom Hearts and God Of War, you will LOVE this game since it is a combo of both games. There is no other way to describe it. The story is beautiful accompanied by some beautiful music that just enchants the player. I dont know why people start hating on the graphics of this game but they are not as bad as they say. This game looks pretty good. The biggest problem i encountered with this game is its minor repetition having to do with traveling back to the same places but all is worth it as the story continues. i give it a 9/10! Great game Expand
  34. Jun 12, 2014
    I didn't have very high expectations from a game that was a spin off of another game. I figured it was just meant to ride the popularity of the Drakengard series. Boy, was I wrong! This game is amazing!!! From the awesome story and unique characters, to the great battle mechanics and the music, everything in this game stands out as truly remarkable.
    It's really strange how much the
    critics slammed this game versus how much the players loved it. Four years since it's release, it's still standing strong. Any ARPG fan should play it! Expand
  35. Jun 21, 2014
    This is one of the best RPGs I have ever played. Great story, absolutely unique characters, fantastic soundtrack and amazing setting left me wanting for more and then some. You are going to be thrown in a bizarre world which will haunt you for some time to come. For a game that tries to mix in so many sub-genres of the games and hits you with a great deal of emotional shots now and then it is strong 9 from me. Soundtrack alone is something to enjoy and repeat for some time! On the downside - Graphics are not that good, but it should NOT prevent you from enjoying this wonderful, unique and daring title. Totally worth your money. Expand
  36. Nov 7, 2014
    Im glad to write this years after playing it so my head is cold enough to give it its proper rating. The weakest aspect of this is the gameplay itself, but is not bad, controls are excellent and maybe its too easy, be sure to play it on hard. The game never feels repetitive thats also another good thing, how it changes sometimes radically.
    High points are the soundtrack which is one of
    the best ever and suits the game like no other but is the story what makes this game a joy, and earns its high score even if the gameplay gets a 7.
    Nier probably has one of, if not the best story ever in a videogame, is very adult themed, kind of sad and gets uncovered the more you play the game (great replay value, i finished it 3-4 times i think to get its extra endings). The second time you play it, you see the argument from your enemy perspective with incredible results.
    A cult game and a hidden gem indeed, Nier is one of the games that touches you and you never forget about it.

1. Feb 9, 2011
    Nier won't wow players with its basic mechanics, but in the story it tells, the characters it develops, and the themes present throughout play, it will easily win over anyone seeking something emotionally exploratory and well off the beaten path.
  2. A bizarre mix of influences and a great script still can't save this inventive but flawed role-player.
  3. Nier comes with a bizarre mix of influences and its own accomplishments. Not all of it works, but it's a commendable effort, and a great experience.