8.5

1. May 5, 2015
    This game has a great story and great characters.
    Very fun combat and lot's of things to do.
    One of my favorite games for 2010 !
    This game is also very innovative and addicting.
  2. Feb 18, 2015
    Nier is a game to test true critics. On the outside it's an over hyped IP with an identity crisis, sub-par graphics, and a weird looking main character. But... Inside this game is an overwhelmingly emotional story, with fantastically unique characters, responsive controls, environments that intrigue your imagination, a supreme soundtrack that stands by itself, and a variety of game-playNier is a game to test true critics. On the outside it's an over hyped IP with an identity crisis, sub-par graphics, and a weird looking main character. But... Inside this game is an overwhelmingly emotional story, with fantastically unique characters, responsive controls, environments that intrigue your imagination, a supreme soundtrack that stands by itself, and a variety of game-play mechanics/styles that will leave any RPG fan begging for more. Nier is one of if not the best RPG(s) available on the 7th generation consoles. Expand
  3. Nov 24, 2014
    NIER is a great game, I can't put it down. The reason I only give it a score of 8 is for 2 reasons: the graphics is mediocre, and worst of all, the load times are awful.
    But aside of this, I have almost nothing but praise for the game, it starts maybe a little slow, but opens up after a couple of hours in, I like the non-nonsense combination of magic and non-magic combat, which are upgradable, and you are paired with 2 very interesting, member, a book and a - well, you'll see. The soundtrack is great and the voice acting works well. There are a lot of nods to other games, most noticeably Zelda. At times the game is very goofy and does not take itself seriously. The mix of different genres within this game works incredibly well, while it's first and foremost an action RPG, there are also more puzzle-focused and action-centric sections. The player has to do a lot of (story and side) quests, which work very well, but require some running, between possibly far apart locations. After a while you get mounts, but it still takes some time between locations. The load times when you switch between areas are unfortunately really long, sometimes a couple of minutes, which which is a pity.
    The cut scenes look great, the in-game graphics are only average and for some reason it only a little better than PS2 quality, probably because the texture detail is not very high, the polygon count itself looks fine to me. After a while, the graphics become less of an issue as you get more and more immersed into the world of NIER.

If you enjoy games by designers that take risks to go non-conventional ways to stride off the mainstream, give this game a try,
  4. Nov 7, 2014
    Im glad to write this years after playing it so my head is cold enough to give it its proper rating. The weakest aspect of this is the gameplay itself, but is not bad, controls are excellent and maybe its too easy, be sure to play it on hard. The game never feels repetitive thats also another good thing, how it changes sometimes radically.
    High points are the soundtrack which is one of
    High points are the soundtrack which is one of the best ever and suits the game like no other but is the story what makes this game a joy, and earns its high score even if the gameplay gets a 7.
    Nier probably has one of, if not the best story ever in a videogame, is very adult themed, kind of sad and gets uncovered the more you play the game (great replay value, i finished it 3-4 times i think to get its extra endings). The second time you play it, you see the argument from your enemy perspective with incredible results.
    A cult game and a hidden gem indeed, Nier is one of the games that touches you and you never forget about it.
  5. Jun 21, 2014
    This is one of the best RPGs I have ever played. Great story, absolutely unique characters, fantastic soundtrack and amazing setting left me wanting for more and then some. You are going to be thrown in a bizarre world which will haunt you for some time to come. For a game that tries to mix in so many sub-genres of the games and hits you with a great deal of emotional shots now and then itThis is one of the best RPGs I have ever played. Great story, absolutely unique characters, fantastic soundtrack and amazing setting left me wanting for more and then some. You are going to be thrown in a bizarre world which will haunt you for some time to come. For a game that tries to mix in so many sub-genres of the games and hits you with a great deal of emotional shots now and then it is strong 9 from me. Soundtrack alone is something to enjoy and repeat for some time! On the downside - Graphics are not that good, but it should NOT prevent you from enjoying this wonderful, unique and daring title. Totally worth your money. Expand
  6. Jun 12, 2014
    I didn't have very high expectations from a game that was a spin off of another game. I figured it was just meant to ride the popularity of the Drakengard series. Boy, was I wrong! This game is amazing!!! From the awesome story and unique characters, to the great battle mechanics and the music, everything in this game stands out as truly remarkable.
    It's really strange how much the
    It's really strange how much the critics slammed this game versus how much the players loved it. Four years since it's release, it's still standing strong. Any ARPG fan should play it!
  7. Jun 8, 2014
    Nier is a game with decent combat, passable graphics and dull sidequests. That is all I can say about the bad elements of this game, and they are vastly overshadowed by the good elements. The characters, story, atmosphere and music of Nier are absolutely amazing and create a very unique and enticing experience.

"Nothing is as it seems" appears on the box art of this game, and after

"Nothing is as it seems" appears on the box art of this game, and after playing through the game for the second time you will realise the truth of that statement. The story is told in an incredibly unique and touching way. It is the only game I have played in which there is an actual reason to play through NG+ as it significantly alters the way the story plays out.

I highly recommend picking up this game and playing through NG+, it is a very unique experience, the boss battles are quite good and the combat is passable, but it is the story and the characters that will have you enjoying this game the most.
  8. Feb 27, 2014
    I'll be honest i wasn't expecting much when i 1st got it. After playing my first playthrough i can say that this game surprised me. I enjoyed everything for the story to the combat, with a great sound track and amazing atmosphere i really enjoyed myself. I did find it a bit too easy though and most bosses didn't require much thought on how to beat but (note: i was playing on normal) butI'll be honest i wasn't expecting much when i 1st got it. After playing my first playthrough i can say that this game surprised me. I enjoyed everything for the story to the combat, with a great sound track and amazing atmosphere i really enjoyed myself. I did find it a bit too easy though and most bosses didn't require much thought on how to beat but (note: i was playing on normal) but regardless i had so much fun. The undertones you get mid-late game are really nice (i won't spoil anything). Overall i think it was a great buy way to go Squenix! Expand
  9. Jan 4, 2014
    I came into this game with an underdog mindset, in which the fans loved it but the critics panned it. And I left this game with the feeling that it truly deserved the 6's and 7's it was receiving back in 2010.

Story and Music can only comprise so much of the score, but everything else is really mediocre. The level design is re-used many times, the combat is a really boring form of hack and slash, and there is also a ton of unnecessary backtracking. The voice-acting didn't really fit the persona of the characters either.

The only positives I can say about this game is that it tried to be different, and it's refreshing when we're getting a lot of formulaic games now. But, the developers were a bit too ambitious with their ideas for this game, and it was implemented properly.

I am not a graphics hog but this game feels like from the PS2 era with the exception of the boss fights. It's on the graphical level of shadow of the colossus.

I really can't recommend this game to anyone unless you have played everything else you've wanted to play, and you just want this game a shot. For me, it isn't the hidden gem/masterpiece I was expecting.
  10. Jan 4, 2014
    NIER is, simply put, astounding.

The gameplay, though not revolutionary, is fluent and engaging and the incorporation of magic into the combat is done in a less than conventional way to add a flavour of uniqueness to the gameplay. However, where the game shines brightest is the soundtrack, the story and the characters. The soundtrack is amazingly well crafted, in some ways quite
    NIER is, simply put, astounding.

However, where the game shines brightest is the soundtrack, the story and the characters. The soundtrack is amazingly well crafted, in some ways quite simplistic but beautiful nonetheless and it suits the setting perfectly. The story is mature and quite emotional, as it tells the story of a man trapped in a dying world trying to save his daughter. There are some twists and turns along the way and altogether it makes for a very engaging experience.

Finally, the characters. The primary protagonist is a middle-aged man who is, as stated previously, fighting to save his daughter. He's a hard worker and skilled warrior that makes his living by putting his skills to good use and hiring himself out to help the villagers that have showed he and his daughter so much kindness and charity in the past in whatever tasks they need help with, from doing their shopping and hunting down eggs (hidden by some very canny chickens) to taking on a ferocious wild boar. He is a hard man, also quite different from what some would expect from a JRPG in that he looks like he's being beaten over the head with an ugly stick.

The interactions between the characters are terrific, in particular between our hero and Weiss, his floating companion. Overall, this game is terrific. I've loved it since I bought it and I think any RPG fan would enjoy it thoroughly.
  11. Jan 3, 2014
    I really wish there were more games like Nier, the game is so good and so fresh it's a testament to how the games industry has lost it's way, Nier just comes in and shows everyone how to make a game into a unique delightful experience that reminded me of why i chose to play games, why i became a gamer in the first place, whether it's the action packed dynamic combat system it has that'sI really wish there were more games like Nier, the game is so good and so fresh it's a testament to how the games industry has lost it's way, Nier just comes in and shows everyone how to make a game into a unique delightful experience that reminded me of why i chose to play games, why i became a gamer in the first place, whether it's the action packed dynamic combat system it has that's simple but not shallow in any way, or maybe the ever-changing gameplay style that always has a surprise for you around the corner (from a text-RPG to a Diablo style level), keeps things fresh and challenges genre conventions, or maybe the amazing music which i can call with passion "The Best OST" in any game to date (Oh, the moment you go out to the first large area of the game and "Hill of Radiant Winds" starts playing you will know why i called it that), or maybe it's the mystery surrounding the story and world, or maybe the very eccentric yet relatble cast of characters (and what's more relatble than a father ready to fight the whole world to save his daughter from a terminal illness), or maybe the excellent voice acting and the ever-amusing never-boring banter between the characters in-game (specially the main character and his flying magic book) which was more of a reason to attempt as many quests as possible as they trigger those in-game conversations etc etc etc.

If you haven't played Nier do yourself a favor a play it now, it's a gem of a game and has be unjustly brought down by graphics-whores and simplistic minded official reviewers, take the people's word for it and ignore all those "official reviews" that rated it down, you won't regret it.
  12. Jan 2, 2014
    SPOILER FREE **

I play games for story, and this game now that I have completely finished it ranks in my top 5. I would actually say it's number 3 after Xenogears and Xenosaga series, just edging out Planescape: Torment. The gameplay itself can be boring, the world is small and repetitive, but if you can push through that it's HIGHLY rewarding. Masterpiece of video game storytelling.
  13. Dec 23, 2013
    Interesting and creative story, not to mention breathtaking music; it falls a touch short in terms of game mechanics, but for how cheaply it can be found in stores (I bought my new copy a couple years ago for $10), it's completely worth it. Replay value is on the lesser side, but it's enough to drag you back in every few months. Quite solid characters and their development, consideringInteresting and creative story, not to mention breathtaking music; it falls a touch short in terms of game mechanics, but for how cheaply it can be found in stores (I bought my new copy a couple years ago for $10), it's completely worth it. Replay value is on the lesser side, but it's enough to drag you back in every few months. Quite solid characters and their development, considering how short the game actually is. Gorgeous art too for those interested in the graphic aspects, not so much the actual 3D rendering but the concept sketches and promotional materials are amazing. This title was quite the pleasant surprise. Expand
  14. Dec 18, 2013
    A very fun game. It does have a lot of technical glitches and the graphics aren't very good. The music is amazing though and the gameplay keeps you thinking about how to beat it, without being too difficult. The story is good and I cared about the characters a lot. Recommended.
  15. Nov 7, 2013
    For those seeking a game with an engaging story, interesting characters search no more, you have found it. The story and game atmosphere are for me, the games biggest strengths. If I would to compare this game to another it would be to Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, because of how the game is story-driven, of how it pulls you in, surprises and influences you. This game can bring out manlyFor those seeking a game with an engaging story, interesting characters search no more, you have found it. The story and game atmosphere are for me, the games biggest strengths. If I would to compare this game to another it would be to Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, because of how the game is story-driven, of how it pulls you in, surprises and influences you. This game can bring out manly tears, and unless you weren't paying any attention at all to the game it won't leave you indifferent to the characters. This is possible because of the characters, the dialog (level of a good novel), great voice acting, and fantastic music (which you will likely want to listen to a bit even outside of the game). It is also a game worth playing more than once, as the narrative changes a little on your next walkthrough.

The gameplay (fighting mechanics etc.) itself is OK, but no more than that. The same can be said about the graphics.

For me, this was a hidden gem, an experience that won't be forgotten for a long time. For those that like story-driven games, and accept good (not great) gameplay mechanics this is a must have.
  16. Oct 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Before I begin, here are a few facts about NIER:

1) It is a story entirely based on the 5th ending of the first Drakengard (Drag-On Dragoon 1) in the Drakengard series. As such, many of NIER's likeness comes directly from that series.

Now the review:

1) Story

To cut straight to the point; It's a story that doesn't start off as ambitious as one might want it to, but ultimately hits all cylinders upon it's second half; ending the tale with much needed, but unexpected flare. If there is anything this game has done right, it is the way they did the multiple endings. Each one is available, one per (second half) playthrough; each playthrough offering something new to the mix, from adding new scenes to gaining the ability to understand the gestalts (shades). And I have to say, the latter is brilliant. Not once have I ever hesitated slaughtering an opponent more than some of the bosses and minions on my second playthrough. There is no true good and evil. (9/10)

2) Gameplay

The gameplay is simple. A hack and slash, MUCH like the "Drakengard" series of games; but with the addition of magic. Nier is able to carry 3 types of weapons (One-Handed, Two-Handed, Spear) and over 8 types of magic. Magic is often over-powered and not always easy to use; yet it is the most fun you can have out of the combat found in this game, sadly. Aside from the main quest, side-quests are not varied and all consist of nothing more than fetch quest missions, that don't pay well for the amount of effort required to be put into them. The only reason to do them is to buy the best weapons, found in Part I and Part II of the game. 55,000G is enough; trust me. (5/10)

3) Music

By far the most outstanding aspect of the game besides the story, is the OST. Directed by Keiichi Okabe, the OST features 43 tracks (9 that are not vocal), many of which is sung in the broken dialect of several languages (Gaelic, French, Portuguese, English, etc) by Emi Evans. To tell the truth, I don't think you'll find an OST out there currently, that could ever surpass this in quality and uniqueness. The tracks each give a feeling of individuality, but are all focused around the melancholic plot that is being told. They also are a reminder to remnants of the societies that once populated the world. (10/10)

4) Characters

The characters are great, period. Outside of the sensitiveness of Emil and the fatherly/brawny figure of Nier, I don't think you'll find many characters that'll fit in the same character archetypes that are found in this game. Kaine and Grimiore Weiss are by far, the stars in this game. One offering witty, intellectual commentary and the other, a mysterious female with a dark past, who often broods seriousness as well as plenty of profanity. I liked Weiss a lot, but Kaine is the main one to look out for; especially on your second playthrough. (7/10)

5) Graphics

It's to be expected from a game that is based off of and was created by the same developer of the "Drakengard" series. Basically, the graphics is not the game's strong suit. At all. I'd compare it to a spiffed up version of Shadow of the Colossus HD or a HD Drakengard game. Not much to be had here. (5/10)

6) Overall (TL;DR)

For hardcore RPG/JRPG fans, this is definitely a game that should NOT be over looked. It does so many things right and a couple of things wrong. The replay value is high; but it'll still be entirely dependent on your enjoyment of the story. Basically, if you liked the story and want more of it; you should replay it at least 2 times. There is extra content/story after you finish! Overall, don't play this to be immersed, as it isn't a game meant for that; trust me. This is a weekend quickie; meant for a quick and smooth trip through one of gaming's best and memorable stories. (8/10) Highly Recommended.
  17. Sep 15, 2013
    Amazing Game.
    Cryptic story, with a really dark and interesting background (Drakengard?)...character design is brilliant and the style of the game is really functional for the context and the story. The battle system is quite approximate, but it works.
    Amazing Game.
    Dialogues sometimes are trivial or even superficial, but other are fantastic. Atmosphere is awesome and OST is a master piece, so perfect for the game, with such a deep personality and unique style.
    Truly an underrated gem.
  18. Jul 5, 2013
    This game truly is special. The critic score is absurdly low. The first play through alone is worth getting it for. The second play through (which starts you at about the halfway point) is what elevates it to a truly phenomenal game. I won't spoil it, but the second play through really makes you think about the whole game differently. There's also a whole grimoire which can be found onlineThis game truly is special. The critic score is absurdly low. The first play through alone is worth getting it for. The second play through (which starts you at about the halfway point) is what elevates it to a truly phenomenal game. I won't spoil it, but the second play through really makes you think about the whole game differently. There's also a whole grimoire which can be found online which has a ton of the lore. One of my friends, who I think has the most insightful opinions about video games of anyone I know or have seen online, ranks Nier as one of his favorite games, and I can absolutely see why. It's not perfect, but it has a nice variety of different play styles, which actually mesh together quite nicely. As others have said, the music is fantastic as well. Depending on how much grinding you do, you may get tired of the music, but nevertheless it's still one of the best soundtracks I've heard. If you like RPGs/ARPGs, just pick it up... you won't be disappointed. Expand
  19. Jun 25, 2013
    there are many reasons to give this game a lower score...i kinda understand...
    BUT....is a soccer player worse because he got a weird name....because he doesn´t look like brad pitt? NO.
    Same with this game! What do you want from a game? is it the detailed landscape? the 100% real animation...sync on every villager?...if so...it´s not your game... if you want to experience an epic story,
    there are many reasons to give this game a lower score...i kinda understand...
    if you want to experience an epic story, with great characters....a twisted, dark, dead world.....it is your game!! it maybe is the game, you can´t compare it to many other games...it´s unique and great!
    in the game, i was taking care of my "daughter" every time i was in town...because i actually did care about her!
    the fights, monsters and equipment, all unique and great!
    and on top of all that, this epic soundtrack....
    give this game a chance! you might fall in love with it even in 2013...and i bet, if this game would have been released on ps2 ~2006, it would be a AAA+ Titel with press review around 92+
  20. May 22, 2013
    This game had true potential. I felt that all the ideas used in this game were absolutely fantastic; however, the devs half assed all their ideas. First off, it's only a 20 hour game; that's half assed cuz RPG's should be at least 40 hours (they used to be 50-60 hours 10 years ago). It does some genre hopping but never goes all the way with it. I like the ideas they used but they couldThis game had true potential. I felt that all the ideas used in this game were absolutely fantastic; however, the devs half assed all their ideas. First off, it's only a 20 hour game; that's half assed cuz RPG's should be at least 40 hours (they used to be 50-60 hours 10 years ago). It does some genre hopping but never goes all the way with it. I like the ideas they used but they could have gone further.

However, the game truly shines in two areas: music and new game plus. The music is absolutely amazing. The new game plus really shows you some pretty awesome plot points that weren't there previously when you play your first time through. RPG fans ought to give this game a try.
  21. May 2, 2013
    Nier...what a beautiful game you are.
    You don't need a game of ''OMGWTFASDGDFYJE'' graphics to amaze a true gamer.
    Nier has got one of the most touching, dark and melancholic story this gen.( It's written by Yoko Taro, so duh? A soundtrack that's at least worth a place in The Top 3 Best OSTs of All Time. You really feel connected with the main character and his friends/allies and the
    Nier...what a beautiful game you are.
    You don't need a game of ''OMGWTFASDGDFYJE'' graphics to amaze a true gamer.
    You really feel connected with the main character and his friends/allies and the game presents a father daughter relationship like no other game has done before, even after.
    Side missions don't feel like a big burden and some even have a touching story with them *sniff* poor doggy *sniff* ).
    And another thing that Nier does differently than the rest...Endings.
    All four endings of Nier delivered.
    And as you expect from Yoko Taro, be prepared for NG+.
    The more you play and you slowly start to unlock the other endings, it starts to get more depressing and more and more and more... I've never ever felt such an empty feeling in my chest ever unlocking every ending. You'll get warped back at the beginning of Act 2 when doing NG+, so you don't start all the way at the beginning).
    But there were only one and a half things that bugged the hell out of me: The lack of more locations and some lack of polish and detail of the existing levels.
    Nier is a gem in every way. From the changing gameplay to the OST.
    If you can forgive it's technical shortcomings and you want a story with an explosive climax or a change of scenery in the JRPG scene, then please try this game out.
    You can only imagine what Cavia could've done with a bigger budget and a little bit more time.
    Mos def a 9/10: EPIC!!!
    ( Forgive me if my English sucks. I'm still learning
  22. Apr 27, 2013
    One of the very few games I actually played until I had everything the game has to offer, including the platinum trophy. Despite the heavy grinding necessary to do that, the soundtrack managed to keep me motivated all through the process.

Nier is a fantastic game. It may not be able to compete with the graphics of the latest Call of Duty or the combat of earlier Devil May Cry installments, but this is one of the few games that has a real "soul". It's hard to explain. You have to experience it yourself or you will miss what is one of the greatest gaming experiences I've had in the past two decades.

Even over a year after finishing it, I still listen to the soundtrack every now and then and check some of the best cutscenes on Youtube. I can't wait for Drakengard 3.
  23. Jan 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A hidden gem of its times, greatly under appreciated by many. One of the best game I have ever played in my entire life, while combat may be clunky and repetitive, NIER makes up for every single bit of it with the immensely good story and lovable characters and the whole feel of the post apocalyptic world. (SPOILER) The dialogues of all the bosses you encounter on your second play through brings tears to your eyes, never before I was torn between sympathizing more with the main character or the bosses, never (SPOILER) Expand
  24. Nov 6, 2012
    Some expert reviewers have called it 'boring' others called it 'ugly', but against these criticisms fans still openly think this game is a classic. I just cant fathom why the poor reviews! As a game the controls and combat are fluid and intuitive, the voice acting is great, and the story is one of the best i've seen to date. Its an unusual mix of Western and Japanese RPG / ActionSome expert reviewers have called it 'boring' others called it 'ugly', but against these criticisms fans still openly think this game is a classic. I just cant fathom why the poor reviews! As a game the controls and combat are fluid and intuitive, the voice acting is great, and the story is one of the best i've seen to date. Its an unusual mix of Western and Japanese RPG / Action adventure, and anyone interested in either should give this game a shot. No doubt it has its shortcomings - some of the side quests are a little tedious, and the grinding involved in achieving the trophies is beyond masochism. Regardless of these slight problems NIER is a joy to play, its characters are endering, and the end play is spectacular. I hope the poor reviews dont stop this fantaastic game becoming the cult classic it deserved to become! Expand
  25. Oct 24, 2012
    I avoided this great game because of the bad reviews it got, I picked it up cheap and I must say that I do not know wtf the "pro" reviewers were playing but all I know is this game is good. The graphics aren't that good but the game itself is a masterpiece. How can you give this game a bad review and give Call of Duty good scores for the same game every year. Give me a break. I bet I haveI avoided this great game because of the bad reviews it got, I picked it up cheap and I must say that I do not know wtf the "pro" reviewers were playing but all I know is this game is good. The graphics aren't that good but the game itself is a masterpiece. How can you give this game a bad review and give Call of Duty good scores for the same game every year. Give me a break. I bet I have played more video games in my life then you "pro" reviewers and I collected every system (just missing the jaguar) and I have thousands of games so I know what the hell I'm talking about. This is a good game, don't listen to these so called idiot "pro" reviewers who no nothing about video games. Expand
  26. Jul 10, 2012
    Interesting premise. But drags on for too long. The middle could have been shortened a lot.
  27. Jun 25, 2012
    Nier isn't perfect. It's a game with mediocre gameplay and graphics. However, it really shines in both the soundtrack and story. This game made me feel things that I haven't felt since I played Silent Hill 2 for the first time. If you enjoy a good story and music, check this out. But make sure you at least get the second ending!
  28. Jun 11, 2012
    This game is a true gem. It is made by people who love games, not by people who wanna maximize profit. You feel that each moment you play this game. The characters are true, you really care for them, environments are beautifull,, soundtrack...well it's the best I have ever heard in a game (and I have been playing games for 30 years now). Story is original and encourages you to play on. ItThis game is a true gem. It is made by people who love games, not by people who wanna maximize profit. You feel that each moment you play this game. The characters are true, you really care for them, environments are beautifull,, soundtrack...well it's the best I have ever heard in a game (and I have been playing games for 30 years now). Story is original and encourages you to play on. It has four! different endings. Buy this game. you will not regret it.â Expand
  29. Jun 3, 2012
    bought this game free along with the sims 3 ps3 any ways i played thru first 10 min it was so boring now it same like final fantasy but final fantasy series way better

this game i got it collecting dust now
  30. May 12, 2012
    I love this game. i got hooked from the beginning, don't get me wrong, there is a lot of leg work and if you are going for 100% completion you better have a spare 100 hours or so. The reason this is an 8 instead of a 10 is because of the enemy design and the camera angle. The camera angle is completely adjustable. This would normally be a good thing, but there is so much adjusting it isI love this game. i got hooked from the beginning, don't get me wrong, there is a lot of leg work and if you are going for 100% completion you better have a spare 100 hours or so. The reason this is an 8 instead of a 10 is because of the enemy design and the camera angle. The camera angle is completely adjustable. This would normally be a good thing, but there is so much adjusting it is completely ridiculous. just frustrating. Next is the enemy design, this does seem really lazy but you notice less and less as the game goes on. Oh, and you better play it on a big screen or HD TV because the subtitles are small and important in parts of the game. Expand
  31. Apr 27, 2012
    Many JRPGs get lined up against the wall for daring to be too stale, but Nier has nearly been forgotten for being exactly the opposite; bold, brash and brilliant. It's as if someone in Square Enix got a hold of whatever Suda51 plays with and they just went to town with it. An enjoyable cast, non sensible but interesting plot, and fantastic boss battles all delivered with a no thrills butMany JRPGs get lined up against the wall for daring to be too stale, but Nier has nearly been forgotten for being exactly the opposite; bold, brash and brilliant. It's as if someone in Square Enix got a hold of whatever Suda51 plays with and they just went to town with it. An enjoyable cast, non sensible but interesting plot, and fantastic boss battles all delivered with a no thrills but very functional combat and game play system. This game gives so much, it's just a shame we didn't pay it its when it mattered. I thoroughly enjoyed Nier, and I recommend it to anyone else looking for something just that much more different from the uniform. Expand
  32. Mar 3, 2012
    Nier it's amazing in almost everything, the story it's freaking awensome, the character are really good, and the music it's soo good!, people, BUY this game, it's very good!
    Final: 10, a pure masterpiece.
  33. Jan 31, 2012
    This is an excellent game. It has one of the best soundtracks ever heard in a video game. The graphics aren't amazing but are good enough. There is so much variety in the game and many different styles come together brilliantly. This game is a love letter to many different rpgs from text-based adventures to Secret of Mana. The story in Nier is one of the strongest and unique I haveThis is an excellent game. It has one of the best soundtracks ever heard in a video game. The graphics aren't amazing but are good enough. There is so much variety in the game and many different styles come together brilliantly. This game is a love letter to many different rpgs from text-based adventures to Secret of Mana. The story in Nier is one of the strongest and unique I have come across. There are numerous side quests that when completed deliver emotional impact with a simple speech bubble filled with text. The game encourages multiple playthroughs, but this never feels like a chore thanks to some narrative trickery. I spent so many hours playing this game and it saddens me that I cannot play in again for the first time. Expand
  34. Dec 24, 2011
    Story:
    US Version: You are a father looking for a cure for your daughterâ
  35. Dec 12, 2011
    This game is one of the best games i have played. If you like Kingdom Hearts and God Of War, you will LOVE this game since it is a combo of both games. There is no other way to describe it. The story is beautiful accompanied by some beautiful music that just enchants the player. I dont know why people start hating on the graphics of this game but they are not as bad as they say. This gameThis game is one of the best games i have played. If you like Kingdom Hearts and God Of War, you will LOVE this game since it is a combo of both games. There is no other way to describe it. The story is beautiful accompanied by some beautiful music that just enchants the player. I dont know why people start hating on the graphics of this game but they are not as bad as they say. This game looks pretty good. The biggest problem i encountered with this game is its minor repetition having to do with traveling back to the same places but all is worth it as the story continues. i give it a 9/10! Great game Expand
  36. Nov 16, 2011
    Picked Nier up for $20 new, and wow, I'm amazed, it's now one of my all time favorites. I had a tough time putting it down after I started playing, mostly in part due to the freakingly amazing soundtrack, great use of cinematography, well written and voice acted dialogue, and addictively interesting and sometimes frustratingly painful sidequests/extras. The plot is simple, however, thePicked Nier up for $20 new, and wow, I'm amazed, it's now one of my all time favorites. I had a tough time putting it down after I started playing, mostly in part due to the freakingly amazing soundtrack, great use of cinematography, well written and voice acted dialogue, and addictively interesting and sometimes frustratingly painful sidequests/extras. The plot is simple, however, the story delves much much deeper, hinting a number of underlying tones which keeps you interested. The characters are memorable and engaging, and the game demonstrates good character development/degradation. Nier's pacing and use of cutscenes' is effective, and the save point system is interesting, logical, and intelligently placed. Very well featured with plenty of things to keep you occupied. Maybe it's too well featured, it attempts to do A LOT of things, and sometimes, you just want to stick to a certain weapon/magic/technique/style of gameplay, and be more time efficient and just get the job done. Art style and quality can definitely be improved for some parts of the game (like Nier's head), however, little things like changing the camera control in certain levels to change the atmosphere of the gaming experience is commendable. Other preferred improvements would be having more art assets and level environments to add more to the world experience and lessen some of the repetitive nature of the game. Regardless of the repetition, I give props to the development team for making extensive use of their assets/levels, and creating a unique, mature-themed Action RPG. If you're into 10- hour games, Nier probably isn't for you. To have a complete experience, be prepared to invest a good amount of time, at least 40 hours or more for sidequests, extras, trophies, and the multiple playthroughs to complete all scenarios. Anyways, just wow. Expand
  37. Jun 25, 2011
    Nier suffers from subpar graphics, subpar story/presentation, and a lot of repetition; doing dungeons for the third time except with different enemies is rather boring and the combat, while passable, isn't anything to get excited about. The one standout point is the beautiful, if somewhat repetitive soundtrack.
  38. Jun 17, 2011
    For the RPG fan. This game really makes you love all the characters, not in an over the top way like FFXIII either. graphics may be bad but if you want a good engaging RPG then this is definitely it. i bought this the same time i got darksiders (also a brilliant game) i played darksiders for an hour then turned on Nier. as soon as i saw the graphics in nier i wont lie i was eager to getFor the RPG fan. This game really makes you love all the characters, not in an over the top way like FFXIII either. graphics may be bad but if you want a good engaging RPG then this is definitely it. i bought this the same time i got darksiders (also a brilliant game) i played darksiders for an hour then turned on Nier. as soon as i saw the graphics in nier i wont lie i was eager to get back to darksiders.... however in actual fact darksiders stayed in its box for another month+. Nier has that "thing" that makes you go back for more, it has a brilliant story and cast and ending D is one of the best endings i have EVER seen in a game. if you doubt me that this is such a brilliant game just look at the user score, there the people who played it and got turned into fans. i bet the critics giving it a bad score diddnt even play it because the graphics diddnt look like it was COD. Expand
  39. May 16, 2011
    Great game. This game reminds me alot of Illusion of Gaia. A different kind of RPG that is quirky, feels different and yet familar at the same time. Great soundtrack, I personally dont think the graphics are bad at all having grown up with the snes/ps1 and so on, and the gameplay keeps you interested.
  40. May 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the best, if not the best, games of 2010. Nier is a deep, unique, artful, significant, Action RPG with a Bullet Hell twist and a tribute to Zelda and the likes. The story, music and the characters are among the best of its genre and the gameplay is refreshing. Expand
  41. May 5, 2011
    amazing game. the soundtrack and story are what made this such an enjoyable game. main story line is fantastic. only issue i have with the game is the weak side quests that are ultimately a bunch of go fetch quests. i stuck to the main quest and avoided the majority of side quests and still had around 18 hours of great game play. if you're looking for more hours there are multiple endingsamazing game. the soundtrack and story are what made this such an enjoyable game. main story line is fantastic. only issue i have with the game is the weak side quests that are ultimately a bunch of go fetch quests. i stuck to the main quest and avoided the majority of side quests and still had around 18 hours of great game play. if you're looking for more hours there are multiple endings that allow you to play through the game as a different character, and there are numerous side quests. i didn't even complete 1/4th of the missions and only played through the game once which led to me finishing under 20 hours. i definitely recommend this game to rpg fans. Expand
  42. Apr 12, 2011
    Nier completely surprised me, no, shocked me. I thought I was buying a decent action rpg by Square Enix and I found an incredible rpg with a soundtrack that could easily compete for the best of the genre's history, a story that moved me to play the game multiple times just to get all the possible endings (the last one left me speechless) and the ability to use mechanics from many genres toNier completely surprised me, no, shocked me. I thought I was buying a decent action rpg by Square Enix and I found an incredible rpg with a soundtrack that could easily compete for the best of the genre's history, a story that moved me to play the game multiple times just to get all the possible endings (the last one left me speechless) and the ability to use mechanics from many genres to differentiate its sections, ranging from survival horror to text adventure to shoot'em up. Its heroes were one of a kind, and I can guarantee that anyone who buy it will be blown away by the way this game handles its story.

It hasn't the best production values of a Ps3 jrpg (it's quite mediocre, to put it bluntly), but anyone willing to look over the polygon count is in for a great ride, something that more polished home console rpgs haven't been able to deliver in this generation.
  43. Mar 25, 2011
    It's one of the best games I have ever played!The atmosphere and story are incredible!The fighting is very addictive.Do yourself a favor and buy this! 9/10
  44. Mar 24, 2011
    Probably one of the most underrated games of all time. The game has it's flaws. The graphics aren't impressive at all, some mechanics aren't too polished or even fun but overall this game is an amazing experience. The story, the characters, the music... it's all over the top. I found myself playing this game nonstop so i could check the next ending as soon as i could. This game is a piece of art.
  45. Mar 16, 2011
    i cannot think of a reason as to why the critics have scored this game so low i mean the graphics arent as good as some games and at some points the story is a bit confusing but those may be the only things i could think of as to why they would mark it down. honestly this is an awsome game and pretty original in my opinion since you are a father who goes out to try and save his daughteri cannot think of a reason as to why the critics have scored this game so low i mean the graphics arent as good as some games and at some points the story is a bit confusing but those may be the only things i could think of as to why they would mark it down. honestly this is an awsome game and pretty original in my opinion since you are a father who goes out to try and save his daughter from a deadly disease with the help of a foul mouthed hussy and a know it all book. the game play is also pretty solid with a pretty good fighting system and there is not that long of a load time in beetween places after you download it for the first time. also the voice acting is pretty nice as well and there are parts where it is genuinely funny and has made me laugh pretty hard. there is so much to do in this game as well because if you somehow get tired of the main story line you can help the villagers with thier own special little side quests and they usually give good rewards for the completion of them. this is defenatly a must own and do not listen to the critics they do not know what they are talking about on this one, i mean look at the ppl that whent out and bought the game most of us agree that this is an amazing game and is completely underrated Expand
  46. Mar 9, 2011
    A surprisingly good game, Nier incorporates a standard fare hack and slash action-rpg combat system but keeps things incredibly simple. This works in their favour allowing for some excellent homages to other types of genres over the years, top down views, side-scrolling beat-em-ups and even text adventures! All get a nice slot in Nier and all work considerbly well.

The storyline can be

The storyline can be slow but it's certainly intriguing and once the "big reveal" occurs the game allows you to re-play through for up to four different endings that equipped with the new information you've gained from your first playthrough allows you to look at your character's situation in the world in a completely new light. The main plot centers around Nier and his sick daughter Yonah and follows his quest to cure her of a deadly plague. It sounds like a standard-fare story but it is really well written and certainly avoids cheesy dialogue. Nier and his companion Grimoire Weiss have excellent banter over literally every subject matter in the game and other companions contribute in good fashion including motor-mouth Kaine.

A minor point of negative is the a-typical over-dramatisation of some cut scenes. There seriously no need for it. Some amusing 'that would kill anyone' moments abound as well but they can easily be overlooked unless you seriously hate that kind of thing.

There's plenty of mini games such as fishing and farming. Both are decent additions but the time constraints on farming (it can take fourty hours of real time for a plant to grow for example) makes you wonder if it's really the right sort of mini-game for those who perhaps aren't going to play on a daily basis to tender to their crops. But this is a minor complaint and easily gotten around through either planning or exploiting the system clock.

A negative to note; if there is any intention to platinum the game then Nier will take a while due to it's collectathon nature. You need to collect tons of rare resources to gain some of the loftier trophies and there's plenty of time-based challenges which require skipping a sizeable amount of cutscenes. These really shouldn't be here because really the storyline needs to be played through as-intended and not rushed for the sake of a few trophies. Definately get this game, it's an excellent game with a wonderful charm and an excellent father-daughter tale.
  47. Feb 23, 2011
    i really like this game in a very dragon age lite kind of way. i reviewed it better because the action is quicker hack n slash, but the repetitive music got to me in areas i had trouble advancing through. definetly a overlooked square enix gem.
  48. Feb 11, 2011
    This game is a truly compelling story with solid gameplay, somewhat hampered by a repetitive nature and less-than-great environmental graphics. However, all sidequests but three have no bearing on the story, which has multiple endings for those who play the New Game +, meaning that for those more interested in seeing all the game has to offer, most of the fetching and collecting can beThis game is a truly compelling story with solid gameplay, somewhat hampered by a repetitive nature and less-than-great environmental graphics. However, all sidequests but three have no bearing on the story, which has multiple endings for those who play the New Game +, meaning that for those more interested in seeing all the game has to offer, most of the fetching and collecting can be skipped over. In a time where many JRPGs are going for style first and substance later, this game is a very nice change of pace. Expand
  49. Jan 16, 2011
    The best story and best soundtrack prizes for a game since 2000 must be awarded to this game. Altough game play mechanics are a little messed up, there is no game in 2008-2010 segment had achieved the quality of this title in its genre. Any review that scores this games music lower then 10 is sided, I can say that easily. At first I was afraid of platform gaming in rpg will not bode well,The best story and best soundtrack prizes for a game since 2000 must be awarded to this game. Altough game play mechanics are a little messed up, there is no game in 2008-2010 segment had achieved the quality of this title in its genre. Any review that scores this games music lower then 10 is sided, I can say that easily. At first I was afraid of platform gaming in rpg will not bode well, but carefully aligned difficulty levels makes it enjoyable. Also the primary element of rpg gaming has returned with this title back after years of waiting. It is creating burst of emotions in the player. This game really creates emotions (and can make you cry, can make you angered, can make you wishing for a good revenge) which was a lost but most important aspect of RPG gaming. I really can't understand the reviews it was taking. The revievers at major game magazines must have not played this game. If so, they really missed a great game even it wasn't for their taste. I wasn't full filled with any game released in last 5 years, but have full filled with this title. It's much much better then FFXIII, much better then star ocean and better then the lost odyssey. A word of advise go get it however you can. If not, know that you are losing the greatest story, greatest sound track and greatest emotions that a rpg game can offer... Expand
  50. Dec 21, 2010
    A highly original action-RPG that adds all sorts of wild ideas into the mix, from 2D platforming to bullet hell shooters. Dreamy musics, good characters, and an interesting story but on the other hand, it's a bit short, looks bland, has monotonous combat, and is lacking in compelling side content. Still well worth a playthrough or two, though.
  51. Dec 5, 2010
    2010 greatest gaming hidden gem. This game is one of the best, if not the best game to come out this year and deserves to be in ANY gamers collection.
  52. Nov 28, 2010
    (SPOILER FREE!!!)

Wow what can I say! This game really is one of the best games of 2010. The story and characters are really great and touching. The graphical art style is fantastic.

The combat is very fun.

There are lots of optional sidequests throughout the game and there all different.

The game probably has one of the most amazing beautiful ost's ever.
  53. Sep 13, 2010
    NIER is the surprise of the year. Incredibly engaging, boldly weird and consistently fun. Take a chance and you may be rewarded with one of the most unique, bizarre and worthwhile experiences this generation. For a medium whose proponents constantly deride a lack of innovation and yet consistently reward that lack with huge sales and glowing reviews, I am relieved that a little weirdieNIER is the surprise of the year. Incredibly engaging, boldly weird and consistently fun. Take a chance and you may be rewarded with one of the most unique, bizarre and worthwhile experiences this generation. For a medium whose proponents constantly deride a lack of innovation and yet consistently reward that lack with huge sales and glowing reviews, I am relieved that a little weirdie like NIER can slip through the wall of mediocrity and be amazing and strange despite many critics' wish to kill it with fire. It is not for everyone, and thank god. Expand
  54. Aug 25, 2010
    Nier is a awesome game. I give it 10/10.

It is unique, dark, interesting, and insane. It is truely unique. I love this game. The soundtrack is so beautiful. How anyone can score this any lower than 10/10 is beyond me. The graphics are fine. It never slows down. That is something to say. It is a amazing story. A dark, intelligent and unique game. Brilliantly and well written. I love Nier. :)
  55. Randyb
    May 5, 2010
    While to be honest i did'nt have very high expectations for square enixs latest title and sometimes i'am wrong and get blown away, unfortunatly this was not one of those times. Nier's story is the reason to stick around for 30+ hours of gameplay, thats assuming you can live through some of the most bland and simple combat in an action rpg. The combat feels empty and While to be honest i did'nt have very high expectations for square enixs latest title and sometimes i'am wrong and get blown away, unfortunatly this was not one of those times. Nier's story is the reason to stick around for 30+ hours of gameplay, thats assuming you can live through some of the most bland and simple combat in an action rpg. The combat feels empty and spamming magic attacks usually means the end of any non-boss encounter. As if that was'nt disheartning enough, the game is filled with huge enviroments with nothing to do but monster hunter like gathering quests. If your looking for a truly unique story and world nier may have your answer but ask your self is it really worth it? the answers up to you but for me the answer is a definitive no!. Expand
  56. Serkan
    May 2, 2010
    It still amazes at all the average scores NIER has been getting from the so called video gaming experts. I've been playing NIER since day 1 of release and I can honestly say its one of the most innovative mature games to hit this console generation. Yes the graphics are not the best and graphically there are way better games out there but if you can look past the graphics what you It still amazes at all the average scores NIER has been getting from the so called video gaming experts. I've been playing NIER since day 1 of release and I can honestly say its one of the most innovative mature games to hit this console generation. Yes the graphics are not the best and graphically there are way better games out there but if you can look past the graphics what you will experience with NIER is an Action-RPG with a fantastic adult orientated story. NIER is much more than your typical Action-RPG it has side scrolling segments, top down segments, shooter segments which all seem to blend in pretty well with each other. If Final Fantasy XIII left a bad taste in your mouth with the lack of towns and NPC's then you will enjoy NIER as it has loads of towns and NPC's to interact with. It has also one of the most amazing video game soundtracks I have heard in a long time with memorable tracks which gives the game a sense of epicness. The voice acting is also excellent with some well known voice actors from the anime circuit. NIER is a strange game with some weird elements but personally I cant recommend it enough! Expand
  57. Aug 25, 2010
    Nier is a awesome game. I give it 10/10.

1. Feb 9, 2011
    Nier won't wow players with its basic mechanics, but in the story it tells, the characters it develops, and the themes present throughout play, it will easily win over anyone seeking something emotionally exploratory and well off the beaten path.
  2. A bizarre mix of influences and a great script still can't save this inventive but flawed role-player.
  3. Nier comes with a bizarre mix of influences and its own accomplishments. Not all of it works, but it's a commendable effort, and a great experience.