5.0

1. Mar 26, 2012
    While Ninja Gaiden 3 maintains good quality action hack'n slash game mechanics, fairly ejoyable cenimatic action and design, it lacks the sense of progression its predecessors had, like the upgradable and variaty of weapons. Yet, the addictive button smash combos are a lot of fun to go around. Plot twists are predictive, AI is annoying to the point that suicidal actions towards you mightWhile Ninja Gaiden 3 maintains good quality action hack'n slash game mechanics, fairly ejoyable cenimatic action and design, it lacks the sense of progression its predecessors had, like the upgradable and variaty of weapons. Yet, the addictive button smash combos are a lot of fun to go around. Plot twists are predictive, AI is annoying to the point that suicidal actions towards you might occur from time to time and the level of rediculousness might not really surprise you as much as how fluid its gameplay is. Expand
  2. Mar 27, 2012
    i don't care what anyone else says, i really enjoyed this game. ok. it is not as similar to the ninja gaidens of the past but it's still very nice to go through and i like the fact that it's more accessible to new players. also love kicking my brother's *** online!
  3. Mar 27, 2012
    Well I only play this game to satisfy my need of slashing off people's limbs and slaughtering hordes of enemies. Its all about that and since this game delivers on that aspect im good. If I wanted something else I 'd just go to a different game. It might have upset some people but I d rather see a company try out new things than just stick to an age old formula.
  4. Plo
    Mar 27, 2012
    regardless of the lack of boobs (missing them..lol) kudos for the effort. not as good as previous Ninja Gaidens but still violent and difficult enough to carry the name around. i'd like to see how it works with more weapons though. the talons are my favourite one, hope they bring them back in a dlc or something
  5. Mar 27, 2012
    Good game! You get to slaughter your enemies, fight monsters and try to save the world, which is my type of game! Maybe not the most original idea but then again it was well made and I really enjoyed it! It definitely deserved a go! :)
  6. Mar 27, 2012
    I've always been a fan of the series and I don't think the changes have "killed" the game. I really loved the concept of Ryu fighting against robots. I also like the Katana focus. Every game has to evolve!
  7. Mar 27, 2012
    i understand people's frustration but does this game really deserve a 0? i don't think so.it's interesting to play through and how fun is the multiplayer stuff? loving it. can't wait for the extra weapons to come out so i can deal some pain Ryu style
  8. Mar 27, 2012
    I am giving this game a 10, not because it deserves a ten, but rather because I believe it does deserve a 6-7 and the reaction at the moment is very extreme. Ninja Gaiden 3: is like Take Ninja Gaiden 2 but a bit more focused. I believe that with the DLC it will get the extra weapons people have been crying for and become a very very good game.
  9. Mar 26, 2012
    If you like the Ninja Gaiden series there's a good chance you will like this game and an even better one you will spend all your time whining about what it's not (the original) rather than what it is (a passable attempt at a action-heavy reboot). The combat is especially solid and I have yet to grow tired of slicing my through legions of sobbing enemies. Sure, it's a step down from NG1 andIf you like the Ninja Gaiden series there's a good chance you will like this game and an even better one you will spend all your time whining about what it's not (the original) rather than what it is (a passable attempt at a action-heavy reboot). The combat is especially solid and I have yet to grow tired of slicing my through legions of sobbing enemies. Sure, it's a step down from NG1 and 2 but I give it points for trying something different. How many different game franchises today can we say that about? Certainly not Mass Effect, Modern Warfare, Assassin's Creed, Halo, God of War, Uncharted etc. If this game was called Ninja Destruction or something similarly random I think it would be considered a cool if excusably flawed action experience on par with something like Ninja Blade more than the first two classic Ninja Gaidens. Bottom line: underrated. Ninja Gaiden 3 is a fun if not deep experience. Expand
  10. Mar 27, 2012
    per conpensare gli zero di bimbominkia do 10...ma sol per permettere di far raggiungere la sufficenza a un gioco che di più preso come Ninja Gaiden, non merità. Resta un buon action
  11. Mar 20, 2012
    I think the XBOX game looks better than the PS3 edition, although both are excellent. This game is drastically different than the previous 2, BUT, on its own merits it is a real gem. I almost wish they would have avoided naming it Ninja Gaiden 3, because in reality, he changes take it in such a different direction it is not a true sequel. Maybe something like Ninja Gaiden "Sword on Bone".I think the XBOX game looks better than the PS3 edition, although both are excellent. This game is drastically different than the previous 2, BUT, on its own merits it is a real gem. I almost wish they would have avoided naming it Ninja Gaiden 3, because in reality, he changes take it in such a different direction it is not a true sequel. Maybe something like Ninja Gaiden "Sword on Bone". Yea, I too wanted it to be just like Ninja Gaiden 2, but if you can overlook that, it really is great. Expand
  12. Mar 23, 2012
    So for the best Ninja Gaiden of the modern days, people keep ******** about the lack of weapons which makes no sense. In the classic Ninja Gaiden all you had was a katana ,Ninpo and shurikens, Not a damn nun-chuck, claws and a claymore!!! The story really caught my attention and kept me going, yeah it had its flaws which I will admit are annoying. for example the hooded enemies were a painSo for the best Ninja Gaiden of the modern days, people keep ******** about the lack of weapons which makes no sense. In the classic Ninja Gaiden all you had was a katana ,Ninpo and shurikens, Not a damn nun-chuck, claws and a claymore!!! The story really caught my attention and kept me going, yeah it had its flaws which I will admit are annoying. for example the hooded enemies were a pain to kill, but none the less it was a great game to play. Expand
  13. Mar 21, 2012
    Do I really feel like this game deserves a 10? No, not at all, but it most definitely doesn't deserve the 0-3 rating so many users are giving it. For the sake of trying to balance out it's overall score, I'm giving it a 10. Here is Ninja Gaiden 3: -Take Ninja Gaiden 2 -Remove some of the better aspects of Ninja Gaiden 2 -Replace some of the other aspects of Ninja Gaiden 2 -Rework theDo I really feel like this game deserves a 10? No, not at all, but it most definitely doesn't deserve the 0-3 rating so many users are giving it. For the sake of trying to balance out it's overall score, I'm giving it a 10. Here is Ninja Gaiden 3: -Take Ninja Gaiden 2 -Remove some of the better aspects of Ninja Gaiden 2 -Replace some of the other aspects of Ninja Gaiden 2 -Rework the difficulty curve -Add QTEs. BAM. You have Ninja Gaiden 3. Personally I feel like Gametrailers has done the most accurate and honest review thus far. The story is no worse than the other games, though it is focused on a little more, and the lack of weapons is being addressed by DLC. Hard mode is still "hard" just in a very different way. I haven't started Master Ninja yet, but I imagine I'll still get frustrated by it as I make my way through it. If you've never played Ninja Gaiden, I'd suggest 2 or Sigma 2 over this one... but if you have played those and are just looking for a solid action game that you haven't already played, Ninja Gaiden 3 is worth a rental or used copy. Expand
  14. Mar 21, 2012
    Don't beleave the hate,people that love ninja gaiden games will feel right at home,IGN gave it a 3! You mean to tell me that ign think this game is worse than Duke Nukem witch they gave a 5.5..come on IGN.Ninja Gaiden has a good story that,amazing combat, and is a great game..Is it game of the year...no,does that make it a bad game..no..play it ..love it...
  15. Mar 23, 2012
    I am a Ninja Gaiden fan since the first Nintendo release in 1989. Now I can talk about the game. I have beaten Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 and Ninja Gaiden 3 now. Of this latter three no game has given me more satisfaction than Ninja Gaiden 3. Finally, Ninja Gaiden has a story, is not the best of the best but it isn't bad either, made me feel sad at times, that isn't easy forI am a Ninja Gaiden fan since the first Nintendo release in 1989. Now I can talk about the game. I have beaten Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 and Ninja Gaiden 3 now. Of this latter three no game has given me more satisfaction than Ninja Gaiden 3. Finally, Ninja Gaiden has a story, is not the best of the best but it isn't bad either, made me feel sad at times, that isn't easy for a game to accomplish.

Now, for the ones saying this is not Ninja Gaiden, well, yes, this is far more true to Ninja Gaiden NES roots. In that it has a story that isn't nonsense as Ninja Gaiden Sigma and 2.

And for the ones saying this one isn't as difficult, I don't know what game you played, because I beat Ninja Gaiden sigma and 2 dying far less times than in Ninja Gaiden 3 in Normal. I didn't even believed how difficult my time with Ninja Gaiden 3 was in Normal compared to Sigma and 2.
  16. Mar 24, 2012
    I have enjoyed this game a lot I just ignored the bad critic reviews and bought the game anyway. I am happy I did cause I would have missed a great game. I am tired of trolls who give games 0/10 they probably never even played the games and just give that rating cause they wanna be cool and hip to hate good games when in reality they are just losers.
  17. Mar 20, 2012
    Series fans will be surprised at how talky Ryu and friends are. It's not to the point where I think he'd ninja off to the mall foodcourt to gossip with his girlfriends, but the chatter ever-present, and markedly different than what fans are used to. In his journey in this early code through London and later Dubai, he flaps his yap in cutscenes, in between battles, and even as he movesSeries fans will be surprised at how talky Ryu and friends are. It's not to the point where I think he'd ninja off to the mall foodcourt to gossip with his girlfriends, but the chatter ever-present, and markedly different than what fans are used to. In his journey in this early code through London and later Dubai, he flaps his yap in cutscenes, in between battles, and even as he moves through these locales. Sometimes he's talking to himself, others he's chatting with a remote agent via headset, and in one scene he blows off his blue-haired student, Ayane. But, for as talky as he is, know that Ryu hasn't lost that dark killer vibe. Some of the talk is directive, helping Ryu set a path through these levels, but most of it is story development, as Team Ninja is focused on telling you a real story this time around. It's a bit too early to know where the story is going, but take comfort in knowing that scenario writer Masato Kato has been brought on board to help with that. You've seen Kato's work in the original Ninja Gaiden, as well as in Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VII. I don't mind that Ryu thinks about his killing a bit more now, and that there's a deeper narrative this time around, but I hope they don't make him soft. We love Ninja Gaiden because Ryu is a badass killer. I hope he stays that way.

When Ryu isn't running his mouth, he's cutting **** and it's...it's glorious! Coming off working on reviews of multiple Japanese role-playing games, playing Ninja Gaiden 3 is like a well-deserved, bloody vacation. Thrashing buttons to jam swords into flesh has never felt so good, and it also looks pretty fantastic with the dark red sprays of blood fountaining up from piles of still-standing victims that should have been dead a long time ago. It only took about three minutes of play for me to find myself laughing maniacally at my ridiculously long-lasting chains of kills. The game's new cinematic kills only served to increase the volume of my laughing as they zoom in on the action and prompt you with what button you should be mashing to make your kills even more gory.

The game eased me into the killing with fewer enemies that were just asking to be cut up and juggled, but quickly moved me into situations where I was surrounded on all sides by soldiers, gunmen, guys with swords, other ninja, and even **** with rocket launchers. In those times I couldn't cut fast enough, which let me know that the developers have not forgot their roots. As always, combat centers being able to quickly attack and watch your back to evade or block at the same time, mixing up the two to make it through bouts of relentless attacks. Feels good, man.

Of course, it's not all cutting. Later in the game, escalating the challenge, Ryu gets a crossbow that has the player trying to pick off distant attackers while watching his back. Another new weapon, Ryu's cursed arm, builds up attack power from consecutive kills. When it glows red it can be charged up for an ultimate attack that kills all surrounding enemies in one hit. Finally, ninja magic is a bit different this time around. In the only example the demo provided, kills fill up a Ninpo meter that will let you unleash a flaming dragon into the sky to burn all enemies and fill your lifebar back up at the same time. It's still early, but Ninja Gaiden 3 is on the right track. The game is looking great, with a liquid smooth frame rate and some slick lighting. The camera needs more polish in tight areas, but it shows promise in the open ones. It is still too early to make a call on where the story is headed, but there's hints of something interesting brewing with Ryu's cursed arm and his occasional hesitance to kill. Yes, Ryu talks more and now seems to at least give pause before killing some people, but the action fans love is still in there.
  18. Mar 20, 2012
    This game is great fun, on its own merits. I actually thought the story was quite touching, and the action, while simpler than past games, is still incredibly enjoyable. I think people upset about the lack of Ninpo spells or weapons, or difficulty, may be missing the point of what this gam eis trying to do. It really is trying to flesh out Hayabusa's world, and in that regard it certainlyThis game is great fun, on its own merits. I actually thought the story was quite touching, and the action, while simpler than past games, is still incredibly enjoyable. I think people upset about the lack of Ninpo spells or weapons, or difficulty, may be missing the point of what this gam eis trying to do. It really is trying to flesh out Hayabusa's world, and in that regard it certainly succeeds. For what past games were, it isn't, but judged for it is fairly, its a very good action title. Don't pass it up, just don't expect the Ninja Gaiden you know when playing it. Fans of other series, like Devil May Cry or God of War, may enjoy this title a lot more than the hardcore NG fans (although I'm both, so maybe that is why I can see it both ways). Expand
  19. Mar 23, 2012
    I'm rating 10 because of the large amount of really negative reviews. I understand what a lot of these people are thinking, but I don't think the game deserves to be scored so low. I agree with ryanfrye , maybe Team Ninja should have named the game something like "Ninja Gaiden: Sword on Bone", like some sort of semi spin-off. I have a feeling that would change many peoples' views on theI'm rating 10 because of the large amount of really negative reviews. I understand what a lot of these people are thinking, but I don't think the game deserves to be scored so low. I agree with ryanfrye , maybe Team Ninja should have named the game something like "Ninja Gaiden: Sword on Bone", like some sort of semi spin-off. I have a feeling that would change many peoples' views on the game, because if you really look at it, Ninja Gaiden 3 is a very high quality game, and is better than most recent action games. The art is fantastic, with very detailed environments, realistic characters, and good lighting. The animation is fast and smooth. There's good voice acting and a pretty interesting story. I was worried about the QTEs in the game but was glad to find out you can turn them off and they just disappear on their own the better you perform anyway, so they end up not really being QTEs, but just regular combat elements. The combat is very fun, there may be even more sticky friction than the last games. It's a little simplified, when compared to the other Ninja Gaiden titles, but still very satisfying. Currently, Ryu only uses a few certain katana that are pretty much the same, but there is free DLC coming out soon including the Falcon Talons and Eclipse Scythe from NG2, which seems pretty cool. I see people complaining about the difficulty , but I don't know, I felt the difficulty seemed pretty similar to the others. There's also some really fun co op and competitive multiplayer, something I've wanted to see in Ninja Gaiden since fighting Evil Ryu in Ninja Gaiden Black. I'd say that it works very well, and I haven't experienced very much lag. Now the bad: The game is a slightly more linear than NG2; linearity isn't always bad but it can be fun to explore a bit in a game where you can maneuver yourself like you can. Some fights just seem to be really long, it can get a little repetitive having like 20 guys spawn 3 at a time in a single area. In a couple areas, I experienced a little slowdown. It wasn't too bad, but it's noticeable in a game that runs at 60 fps.

I don't think Ninja Gaiden 3 is the best in the series, and I was hoping it was going to be a game with the pacing and storytelling style of Ninja Gaiden with the combat of Ninja Gaiden 2(that would probably be a truly perfect game), but I think there is a lot of fun to be had with Ninja Gaiden 3, and you should try to play it on its own merits.
  20. Apr 5, 2012
    NG 1-2 were two fine console games that didn't remind you that you were playing console games! NG3 demonstrates that the rise in casual and indy gaming is just dumbing down for the masses.
  21. Mar 29, 2012
    No this game doesn't deserve a 10, but i have to offset the nonsensical scores of anything under a 5... the game is an 8 to me, it's at 60 frames, it offers new concepts, some of them are a great change (like no more sucking in orbs), some of them are take it or leave it (kunai climbing and button prompts) but there are very few new features that actually detract from the experience...No this game doesn't deserve a 10, but i have to offset the nonsensical scores of anything under a 5... the game is an 8 to me, it's at 60 frames, it offers new concepts, some of them are a great change (like no more sucking in orbs), some of them are take it or leave it (kunai climbing and button prompts) but there are very few new features that actually detract from the experience... none that i can think of off hand. The art is as good as the previous one if not better (tons more enemies on screen) . etc...

Most reviewers complain about the difficulty but don't play it on hard mode which is unlocked at the start... this baffles the mind, because after reading about the low challenge i started my 1st play through on hard and immediately died in the 1st wave several times... make no mistakes, this is a challenging game, and it actually plays different than previous NG's and you have to PLAY IT differently, that is different tactics than previous versions... IGN reviewer admits playing it on normal and claims to have played a little of the start on hard (a claim which i feel is false)...

The more I play the game the more i like the game, it's probably my favorite NG. Most of the complaints i've been reading have been in NG all along, poor camera, poor story (though this one is somewhat more legible than the last debacle... i mean a bunch of were-men take over venice???? then hold an gladiator match in the parthenon??? which is no where near venice??? hmm ok)... The hate on the "QTEs" is very overblown, most of them are just button prompts for buttons do exactly what you expect them to do, they are not random button sequences like a god of war, or knight's contract...

I'm actually pretty amazed at the hate group-think that has occurred amongst pro-reviewers, and has continued into the real gamer reviews (i question how many actually bought and played a game that they give a zero to)...

Let me conclude with, mainstream critics are not the place to find reviews on hardcore games, instead go to the places where the communities gather and read the discussions... any one who loves action games and plays this game on HARD will not give it a 3 - that's irresponsible journalism...
  22. Oct 2, 2012
    A very good game with much cinematic scenes and very beautyful graphics, but could be a best game, because don' t have much weapons and don't have dismember, but is a excellent game.
  23. May 29, 2012
    I can not believe how this game turned out! You don't get any new weapons, search for secrets, build up your weapons, all this slow motion arm thing, no new magic moves, just button mashing, story sucks, too much climbing, too much soaring through the air. I had it for four days and im taking it back, #2 WAY BETTER!
  24. Dec 6, 2013
    what is with all the hate??!! I don't think it's a perfect game but i'm being a clear jerk and giving it a ten because it doesn't include an average score below 5! or below 7 for that matter. sure it has its flaws like no collectibles and generic enemies, but the question I ask myself is did I have fun. and yes I did. The bosses are quite hard to fight... at least for me (sorry for all youwhat is with all the hate??!! I don't think it's a perfect game but i'm being a clear jerk and giving it a ten because it doesn't include an average score below 5! or below 7 for that matter. sure it has its flaws like no collectibles and generic enemies, but the question I ask myself is did I have fun. and yes I did. The bosses are quite hard to fight... at least for me (sorry for all you nerds who seek to find the hardest games out there so you can drown out your miserable lives in these games ahem dead souls), but that's also because I'm a casual gamer who just want to have fun in a game being a ninja, and that's what this game allows me to do. I already have enough stress in my life and I don't need a game like dead souls to give me more! no offense to all you dead soul fans I'm simply stating my own feelings towards games like these. sure the story is just there to somewhat justify the gameplay, but you know they're not taking themselves seriously when you saw the beginning QTE where you're flying onto what I believe to be a giant demon and killing him with a tiny sword!!
    so is it worth the full price? absolutely not! should you pick it up on ebay below $15? you would be out of your mind not to!

1. May 15, 2012
    Boy, this game is a big disappointment. When an established franchise like Ninja Gaiden sinks this deep, it would be wise for the developer to turn off its life support. The game is graphically strong, but fails on every other level. An absolute shame.
  2. Pelit (Finland)
    May 11, 2012
    Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 were impressive displays from Team Ninja. The third instalment in the series is not cut from the same cloth. The combat system has been dumbed down and the enemies do not pose the threat they used to. Ninja Gaiden 3 is a big letdown. [May 2012]
  3. May 7, 2012
    Overall not a bad game, if you are a fan or just curious about this game you should like it but otherwise you will most likely not favour this game.