7.5

1. Feb 5, 2015
    I am the ninja master, dont fool urselves kids. Ill kung fool ya. Oh how i love a good challenge and your always there when i need you ryu. If i were only that kind of man wink wink. P.S. If you suck at gaming dont buy this, unless your a masochist, becaz it like i is a true ninja master.
  2. Nov 30, 2012
    The XBOX revival of "Ninja Gaiden" was the best action game of 2004. It was re-released a year later with additional content as "Ninja Gaiden Black". Unfortunately, for the Sony faithful, the PlayStation 2 never received a port. But the PS3 did with this enhanced version of it. "Sigma" introduced reworked level design, new enemies, exclusive weapons, and additional stages with an extraThe XBOX revival of "Ninja Gaiden" was the best action game of 2004. It was re-released a year later with additional content as "Ninja Gaiden Black". Unfortunately, for the Sony faithful, the PlayStation 2 never received a port. But the PS3 did with this enhanced version of it. "Sigma" introduced reworked level design, new enemies, exclusive weapons, and additional stages with an extra playable character, a buxom blonde armed with huge, um...weapons. This sleek action ninja game is similar to "Devil May Cry" with its fast, stylish action and extreme difficulty. Structurally, it is divided up into 19 levels that can take an hour or more to complete. The plot involves super ninja Ryu Hayabusa's efforts to take down the Black Spider Ninja Clan after they attack and decimiate his village. Eventually, the hero discovers their plot to conquer the world. Story-wise, it is a simple comic book, but while the game's mechanics are quite dated, this is still a standout title. Unlike the recent "Ninja Gaiden 3", it is more than a mere hack 'n slash. Defensive tactics and well-played offensive moves are keys to survival. And if you attempt to play it in a slightly casual manner, your ass will continously be handed to you. The game also contains light platforming and puzzle segments. Additionally, there is some backtracking that occurs. As tough as it may be, "Ninja Gaiden Sigma" is actually easier than the XBOX versions! It also simplifies a few of the puzzles, but the new combat tactics (firing a bow in mid-air, fighting on water!) are a nice addition. While I wouldn't say that "Sigma" is a better game than the original XBOX release, I would say that it is a port worth playing. So if you played and loved both "God of War" and "Devil May Cry", but haven't tried out "Ninja Gaiden Sigma", than do yourself a favor and pick up a copy! Expand
  3. Apr 6, 2014
    One of the best action games of all time enhanced for the ps3. The game gives you a difficult and rewarding experience. The combat is totally cool and intense, and who doesn't want to play as a freaking ninja!
  4. Jan 1, 2014
    Some of the low scoring reviews aren't doing this game justice, they come across as butthurt because they sucked at the game. That said they do have some legitimate complaints, I will address all of the major complaints I've seen as a long-time player and lover of this game and share any useful tips that may help overcome frustrations:

CAMERA The camera is fairly frequently irritating

CAMERA
    The camera is fairly frequently irritating until you learn to manipulate it properly, because of the way it follows your character there are some tricks you'll learn, think of the camera as like the dog in a Crufts agility test, you might have to run around in a circle to get it to where you want it this is nowhere near as frequent or obstructive as you might imagine!

CONTROLS
    They're fine, whoever complained about the controls was just bad at the game and butthurt about it.

DIFFICULTY
    Yes this game is hard, it's meant to be hard. The first two bosses are perhaps a little too hard so early in the game, the second one in particular is the problem though as it's not just hard it's hard in an irritating way. That said the game is huge and that's so insignificant a problem that you won't mind.

THE NINJA ISN'T SNEAKY!
    What part of this game indicated that it was going to be another badly executed sneaking ninja game? If you want sneaking go play Metal Gear Solid, Snake is a ninja :)

THERE'S NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE WEAPONS
    There is, try playing the game for more than five minutes and you'll be in no doubt that every weapon has its advantages while still allowing room for personal taste (I always like to play almost entirely using the crappy nunchaku you get early on from a dead ninja).

WHAT'S THE POINT IN HUGE COMBOS WHEN EVERYTHING DIES IN A FEW HITS?
    The point is that it's hard to get combos over 30 (I've managed 200 before and that was insanely hard!) and you're rewarded for managing to switch between enemies without getting hit. You're rewarded with yellow, orange and blue essences, which are money, ninpo and health respectively. If you want to buy new weapons to have fun with then you want lots of money, the best weapon to do this with is the nunchaku because they're very low powered so you get more hits out of each enemy.

THE COMPUTER PICKS MY TARGETS FOR ME!
    It does a little bit, and rarely it will get it wrong. The truth is though if you're actually skilled at the game you'll pick your own targets effectively 99.9% of the time and on those rare occasions when the game slaps you in the face you'll laugh it off because you're not a sissy.

The verdict: Buy this game cheap, play it through to the end and make a conscious along the way to actually master it, it's a challenging game not just a button masher pretending to be challenging. Give it the respect it deserves and you'll find yourself coming back to it ten years from now. In short it's a classic that people will be playing on the emulators of the future and nostalgically reminiscing about.
  5. Mar 2, 2014
    A beautifully made game, hard to beat at times, great gameplay. I loved the game mechanics, I love ninjas, I love this game. 10/10 Should buy. One of the first ps3 games I bought , and still one of my favorite.
  6. moo
    Jun 30, 2007
    I haven't played the original, but I must say I really like this game, although it reminds me very much of the Onimusha Series. One thing that bugs me though: If you are in a room where you have to kill all the enemies and jump and slash like a madman you accidentally come near a door while pushing the Square button. You leave the room without eventing to leave, therefore you gotta I haven't played the original, but I must say I really like this game, although it reminds me very much of the Onimusha Series. One thing that bugs me though: If you are in a room where you have to kill all the enemies and jump and slash like a madman you accidentally come near a door while pushing the Square button. You leave the room without eventing to leave, therefore you gotta get back inside and start slashing all over. One other things is the spongy camera. But in the end it is the best game so far on the PS3! Expand
  7. EricD.
    Jul 6, 2007
    This game is legendary. It is even better than the original andwith bonus features and extra 10 hours of gameplay. You will make your PS3 happy.
  8. SethB
    Jan 6, 2010
    Ninja Gaiden Sigma, as compared to the Black release on the Xbox, is pretty much the same game. The main difference I've seen was the menu system, which proved to be unusual and a little weird to work with. I cannot call it klunky, because it wasn't, but it seemed like it took too long to find the items/equipment/materials i needed to find. And then there were minor differences Ninja Gaiden Sigma, as compared to the Black release on the Xbox, is pretty much the same game. The main difference I've seen was the menu system, which proved to be unusual and a little weird to work with. I cannot call it klunky, because it wasn't, but it seemed like it took too long to find the items/equipment/materials i needed to find. And then there were minor differences in the game that, as someone who loved Black, I laughed at. i.e when you first go to Han's Bar. I've been a pretty hardcore gamer for a while, so I really appreciate difficult games (such as this one). Sigma kept the difficulty parallel to that of Black. Not sure if that is entirely a good thing. Fun none-the-less. Expand
  9. Alan
    Jul 14, 2007
    VERY difficult game, which is why it is so great. A breath of fresh air for the ps3, especially since the only other hack n' slash that is any good was untold legends.
  10. ThatGuy
    Jul 5, 2007
    Two words, Super Cool. Finally, a game that makes my PS3 work........a little.
  11. todoroki
    Jul 5, 2007
    The extra save points and shops have balanced the difficulty level nicely and make the game less frustrating. You can also avoid annoying frequent load times by uploading the game to your PS3. Amazingly though, there are still some control niggles, dropping off ledges in to the hot lava, problems with diving in and out of water e.t.c.
  12. IanI.
    Jul 9, 2007
    To say that this game is epic is an understatement. To say that this game is the definitive version in every way is pointing out stone cold fact. The graphics on this game are AMAZING (I played in 1080p) but what of course makes this game what it is is the complete controll and split seccond timed fighting system. To the reviewer who called this game a "button masher" if you were mashing To say that this game is epic is an understatement. To say that this game is the definitive version in every way is pointing out stone cold fact. The graphics on this game are AMAZING (I played in 1080p) but what of course makes this game what it is is the complete controll and split seccond timed fighting system. To the reviewer who called this game a "button masher" if you were mashing buttons than you compleatl fail at this game, doing so will acomplish nothing. this game is 100% about dodging a blocking so as to pull off split seccond combos to tear apart (often literally, there is soo much decapitation in this game its inasin) the enemy. Epic boss fights, and amazing gameplay, this game is a must own even more so than its predecessor. If you played in on original xbox its the same basic game, if you haven't, or like many wernt able to beat it, nows the time to take another swing at it. Expand
  13. JaysonWan
    Sep 5, 2007
    TIS GAME BLEW ME AWAY WITH AN 'A'!

To be frank, The Xbox and thes Xbox 360 sucks. I also hate Ninja Gaiden when my friends keep saying it's easier than Shinobi and Nightshade. They say when PS3 comes, Ninja Gaiden won't be on the PS3. To bad it did and I got my ass handed to me later by my PS3. BUT I LOVE IT! The game's hard but worth it in the end when you
    TIS GAME BLEW ME AWAY WITH AN 'A'!

BUT I LOVE IT! The game's hard but worth it in the end when you pay good money for something that almost take you ages to clear it and the satisfaction of victory one you clear it!

I can't say how good this game is bcos there ain't enough space for me as well as time! This game is ONE reason why people buy the PS3.
  14. BillW.
    Jul 8, 2008
    This game is really awesome if you are tough enough to get through it. I recently beat it, and I can say that if you don't learn to kick ass fast, you'll hate it! But the gameplay is far from repetitive- this is the best fighting engine ever made, and it never gets old! The graphics and sound are also superb, and it has a lot of replay value. The only real problem is the camera, This game is really awesome if you are tough enough to get through it. I recently beat it, and I can say that if you don't learn to kick ass fast, you'll hate it! But the gameplay is far from repetitive- this is the best fighting engine ever made, and it never gets old! The graphics and sound are also superb, and it has a lot of replay value. The only real problem is the camera, which is a total piece of crap in small areas or corridors- and occasionally out in the open, too. Expand
  15. pasinduS
    Oct 5, 2009
    This game is awesome, unfortunately it took me a long time to realise it due to the steep learning curve and crazy level of difficulty. Once mastered, however this is easily the best hack and slash game out there. The bosses are great, the weapons awesome and the length just right. Sure, the cameras a bit wonky, but not a game breaker. Just stick with it and youll be in for a great ride.
  16. VictorR.
    Jun 25, 2007
    A true masterpiece.
  17. BobS.
    Jun 28, 2007
    I think the game is wonderful. Though i was let down to some degree by the graphics, the gameplay more than made it up for me.
  18. MikeR.
    Jul 23, 2007
    Ninjas are assassins. The game could have gone the Metal Gear Solid route and focused on stealth, but there are sufficiently other ninja-esque skills at work besides pleather wrappings. Acrobatic skills, tools of the trade (smoke bombs and shurikens) are all here. The game is difficult, but not impossible. The nods to Miyamoto Musashi are fun (not only the dual swords, but the wood sword Ninjas are assassins. The game could have gone the Metal Gear Solid route and focused on stealth, but there are sufficiently other ninja-esque skills at work besides pleather wrappings. Acrobatic skills, tools of the trade (smoke bombs and shurikens) are all here. The game is difficult, but not impossible. The nods to Miyamoto Musashi are fun (not only the dual swords, but the wood sword -- Musashi's first dual was with a wood sword). There are mini-missions to unlock upon completing the game, as well as non-pleather costumes. I agree that some of Rachel's missions are distracting and take you out of your Ryu groove, but they tie her storyline into the overall narrative better than cut-scenes alone. This is a game you can come back to and play over-and-over, which is truly the difference between a BUY and a RENT. Expand
  19. Tonisha
    Feb 16, 2008
    Yes, the camera can be a pain in the ass (which is why Team Ninja should have just given us a good camera to work with instead of letting us control the camera while fighting enemies and then losing control with the bosses), but this game is amazing. I have never played a game in which I had to constantly play it over to improve my skills because I screwed up in the harder modes. I wish Yes, the camera can be a pain in the ass (which is why Team Ninja should have just given us a good camera to work with instead of letting us control the camera while fighting enemies and then losing control with the bosses), but this game is amazing. I have never played a game in which I had to constantly play it over to improve my skills because I screwed up in the harder modes. I wish Team Ninja would bring another version to the PS3. Don't neglect th PS3! Expand
  20. JeremyM.
    Feb 21, 2008
    Awesome game, it's a great challenge. It's refreshing to see a challenging and difficult game, considering many games these days are a breeze to beat.
  21. j.K.
    Nov 7, 2007
    This game truely has next gen graphics, the combo system is great as well, a definite must buy.
  22. DeeCee
    Jun 27, 2007
    Ryu is a ... Badass! This game looks amazing! It plays really well, and like most reviewers have said.. if you don't learn how to block... You will never finish the game. Definately worth a purchase.
  23. JeffA.
    Jul 27, 2007
    One of the best action games on any platform. You can play Ninja Gaiden Sigma for an hour and it feels like only 10 minutes has passed. If you own a PS3 you have got to add this steller game to your collection.
  24. DaveS.
    Aug 25, 2007
    I have been enjoying this game since it came out. Just beat it on Hard mode. This is a difficult game, but once you realize patience and some of the more advanced techniques, many enemies that were difficult can be brought down with ease.
  25. kyuudmc
    Dec 18, 2008
    Even greater than NG Black .. Sigma is definitely the best Ninja Gaiden out there. If you own a Playstation 3, you should also own a copy of Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

1. Genuinely new content doesn't abound, but Sigma remains such an expansive, challenging, and well-paced thrill ride that you won't care. [July 2007, p.84]
  2. It's a great game and worth a try if you're brave and/or a masochist. [July 2007, p.64]
  3. This is punishingly, mercilessly, remorselessly ferocious. You will never, ever finish it. Until you learn to block. [July 2007, p.98]