Ninja Gaiden Sigma PlayStation 3

7.4

1. Jul 1, 2015
    One of the first true PS3 games, with great graphics for the time, flawless framerate and no bug, the gameplay itself is pretty hardcore and you aren't allowed to be hit many times before dying, making this game not recommended for players that never played a beat'em all before.
    The story is not too bad for the genre, it has its cliches but also some surprises and a purpose to keep you in the game for the approximately 12 hours needed to finish it. There is quite a lot of weapon but most are expendables and I would have preferred more ninpos over weapons. An other good point for the game is its bosses, there is a lot and most of them offer nice fights, but most of all what I liked about the game is that Ryu truly fights like a ninja, his movements are smooth, class and lethal, it only lacks some infiltration.

On the bad side the camera isn't perfect and the platform phases are horribles (I think I died more times because of them than fights). Add to a difficulty that can prove to be too challenging even for the best players Ninja Gaiden Sigma is not a game for everybody, but it sure is a good one, with qualities that some players will be craving for.
  2. Apr 8, 2014
    Sigma is one of those games that you get the sense it was something special when it came out, but re-releasing it years later after the genre has taken so mean leaps forward is just poor taste.

In its graphics Sigma looks like exactly what it is, polished up decade old polygons that don't even try to test the PS3's potential, not even for 2007. Some games can hide it, but sigma fails.

Sigma is lacking certain gameplay mechanics that are the standard for modern games of its genre. From the combat, to the camera, to map menu, to the check point system, it is ancient.

Compare this to the awesome Gaiden 2 or the average Gaiden 3 and your looking at a game that should of been left in the past.
  3. Greg
    Oct 6, 2007
    Hate, hate, hate, this game is annoying in so many ways. The camera is often off looking at the pretty scenery when you are trying to fight, the controls seem simple but are so basic that until you get into the game you realise you are more nimrod than ninja. You have to beat he 2nd boss before you are given the counter attack move - I'm a NINJA - shouldn't that be in the basic Hate, hate, hate, this game is annoying in so many ways. The camera is often off looking at the pretty scenery when you are trying to fight, the controls seem simple but are so basic that until you get into the game you realise you are more nimrod than ninja. You have to beat he 2nd boss before you are given the counter attack move - I'm a NINJA - shouldn't that be in the basic training. This game sucks and only got 9/10 from people becaiuse it is the only game that had any promise on the PS3. I am really starting to regret my decsion buying this machine at full price. Sony - get a grip and get some really playablle games out there!! Expand
  4. JacqueL.
    Jul 6, 2007
    This game is atrocious. Oh where to start..... The camera controls in this game are not only slow and sloppy but limited to the simple left right and tend to bounce off of walls continually. You can get a number of weapons not that it matters for any reason what-so-ever because everything works on everything, its all a personal style thing I guess. You can block not that it matters at all This game is atrocious. Oh where to start..... The camera controls in this game are not only slow and sloppy but limited to the simple left right and tend to bounce off of walls continually. You can get a number of weapons not that it matters for any reason what-so-ever because everything works on everything, its all a personal style thing I guess. You can block not that it matters at all since 85% of the shots people launch at you will either bypass blocking or throw you off balance giving them the ability to hit you, so basically it's really only a dodge button. You can do huge combos, but then again every creature requires huge combos so the fact you can is moot and fairly useless, why have enemies that die in 5 hits with a maximum combo of 6 hits when your max combo can be 30 or so hits and they die in 29, was, I guess...... the "reasoning". Oh and have I mentioned you play a "NINJA" with no stealth ability whatsoever??? Well now I have, Apparently the "Ninga Theory" is that anyone Incapable of using guns and dressed in a black spandex pleather suit MUST be a Ninja. The story is a wash as well, Its about as enthralling as reading a lexicon on Potato Farming. The animations are all rushed and blurred as are the cut scenes meaning that it's not even a "technically" impressive game. The "Action" of the game revolves around this....., DODGE, then mash buttons for 10 Minutes as a barrage of moves is sent at whatever target the computer "thinks" you are trying to attack (which is normally the wrong one), Block, Dodge, Lather, Rinse, Repeat......... ENDLESSLY. Yes that's right it's a very long game, difficult to boot (not that it would be were any actual skill required other than the ability to push the same button quickly). Basically this game is exactly like a Dynasty Warriors game with less enemies that take longer to kill..... but hey running on water MUST make up for that right??? This game goes to prove a point about critics however, they have no taste and would call a mound of crap a Gold vein as long as people keep reading they're articles. DO NOT PAY ANY SUM OF MONEY FOR THIS GAME!!!! Rent it, if you feel you must, but save yourself the cash for a game that isn't a mindless button-mashing, plotless, waste from someone that can actually make a good game. Your PS3 deserves better. Expand
  5. Apr 6, 2014
    One of the best action games of all time enhanced for the ps3. The game gives you a difficult and rewarding experience. The combat is totally cool and intense, and who doesn't want to play as a freaking ninja!
  6. moo
    Jun 30, 2007
    I haven't played the original, but I must say I really like this game, although it reminds me very much of the Onimusha Series. One thing that bugs me though: If you are in a room where you have to kill all the enemies and jump and slash like a madman you accidentally come near a door while pushing the Square button. You leave the room without eventing to leave, therefore you gotta I haven't played the original, but I must say I really like this game, although it reminds me very much of the Onimusha Series. One thing that bugs me though: If you are in a room where you have to kill all the enemies and jump and slash like a madman you accidentally come near a door while pushing the Square button. You leave the room without eventing to leave, therefore you gotta get back inside and start slashing all over. One other things is the spongy camera. But in the end it is the best game so far on the PS3! Expand
  7. EricD.
    Jul 6, 2007
    This game is legendary. It is even better than the original andwith bonus features and extra 10 hours of gameplay. You will make your PS3 happy.
  8. ChrisR
    May 6, 2008
    This game owes me a new pair of socks, having blown them clean off! One opint docked for the sometimes frustrating camera lag (leaving you with no view of what's ahead), and the respawning enemies in areas you've cleared. That last point isn't so bad unless you're low on health however.
  9. SethB
    Jan 6, 2010
    Ninja Gaiden Sigma, as compared to the Black release on the Xbox, is pretty much the same game. The main difference I've seen was the menu system, which proved to be unusual and a little weird to work with. I cannot call it klunky, because it wasn't, but it seemed like it took too long to find the items/equipment/materials i needed to find. And then there were minor differences Ninja Gaiden Sigma, as compared to the Black release on the Xbox, is pretty much the same game. The main difference I've seen was the menu system, which proved to be unusual and a little weird to work with. I cannot call it klunky, because it wasn't, but it seemed like it took too long to find the items/equipment/materials i needed to find. And then there were minor differences in the game that, as someone who loved Black, I laughed at. i.e when you first go to Han's Bar. I've been a pretty hardcore gamer for a while, so I really appreciate difficult games (such as this one). Sigma kept the difficulty parallel to that of Black. Not sure if that is entirely a good thing. Fun none-the-less. Expand
  10. DarylL.
    Nov 9, 2007
    The first few minutes of playing Ninja Gaiden are great. Blood squirting from slain enemies, the graphics look crisp, it just looks cool! After the initial surprising and absorbing intro the game becomes, what can only be described as frustrating. Camera angles are a nightmare leading you to run around like a headless chicken. The enemies are a lot tougher than necessary and by the end of The first few minutes of playing Ninja Gaiden are great. Blood squirting from slain enemies, the graphics look crisp, it just looks cool! After the initial surprising and absorbing intro the game becomes, what can only be described as frustrating. Camera angles are a nightmare leading you to run around like a headless chicken. The enemies are a lot tougher than necessary and by the end of the second level you are left feeling depleted and quite frankly rather bored of the repetitive gameplay. Expand
  11. Alan
    Jul 14, 2007
    VERY difficult game, which is why it is so great. A breath of fresh air for the ps3, especially since the only other hack n' slash that is any good was untold legends.
  12. ThatGuy
    Jul 5, 2007
    Two words, Super Cool. Finally, a game that makes my PS3 work........a little.
  13. todoroki
    Jul 5, 2007
    The extra save points and shops have balanced the difficulty level nicely and make the game less frustrating. You can also avoid annoying frequent load times by uploading the game to your PS3. Amazingly though, there are still some control niggles, dropping off ledges in to the hot lava, problems with diving in and out of water e.t.c.
  14. warmonger
    Jul 5, 2007
    Boy talk about overrated! this graphics are pretty (nothing spectacular) but the controls are not! and along with the awkward camera angles, it really takes away from what otherwise would have been a very good game. It reminds me a lot of Onimusha but the controls we're more tight on that game. Don't believe all of the hype,definitely rent before you buy or at least try the Boy talk about overrated! this graphics are pretty (nothing spectacular) but the controls are not! and along with the awkward camera angles, it really takes away from what otherwise would have been a very good game. It reminds me a lot of Onimusha but the controls we're more tight on that game. Don't believe all of the hype,definitely rent before you buy or at least try the demo.....I'm glad I did! Expand
  15. IanI.
    Jul 9, 2007
    To say that this game is epic is an understatement. To say that this game is the definitive version in every way is pointing out stone cold fact. The graphics on this game are AMAZING (I played in 1080p) but what of course makes this game what it is is the complete controll and split seccond timed fighting system. To the reviewer who called this game a "button masher" if you were mashing To say that this game is epic is an understatement. To say that this game is the definitive version in every way is pointing out stone cold fact. The graphics on this game are AMAZING (I played in 1080p) but what of course makes this game what it is is the complete controll and split seccond timed fighting system. To the reviewer who called this game a "button masher" if you were mashing buttons than you compleatl fail at this game, doing so will acomplish nothing. this game is 100% about dodging a blocking so as to pull off split seccond combos to tear apart (often literally, there is soo much decapitation in this game its inasin) the enemy. Epic boss fights, and amazing gameplay, this game is a must own even more so than its predecessor. If you played in on original xbox its the same basic game, if you haven't, or like many wernt able to beat it, nows the time to take another swing at it. Expand
  16. JaysonWan
    Sep 5, 2007
    TIS GAME BLEW ME AWAY WITH AN 'A'!

To be frank, The Xbox and thes Xbox 360 sucks. I also hate Ninja Gaiden when my friends keep saying it's easier than Shinobi and Nightshade. They say when PS3 comes, Ninja Gaiden won't be on the PS3. To bad it did and I got my ass handed to me later by my PS3. BUT I LOVE IT! The game's hard but worth it in the end when you
    TIS GAME BLEW ME AWAY WITH AN 'A'!

BUT I LOVE IT! The game's hard but worth it in the end when you pay good money for something that almost take you ages to clear it and the satisfaction of victory one you clear it!

I can't say how good this game is bcos there ain't enough space for me as well as time! This game is ONE reason why people buy the PS3.
  17. JustenK
    Mar 19, 2008
    This game was super aggravating at first, until I knocked it down to the "Ninja Dog" difficulty setting. Despite the obvious disrespect of calling me a dog, by the end I began to respect the game. It has its moments of fun, but I would only recommend this title for uber-fans of the 3rd person, Japanese combo (hack n'slash) video games.
  18. BillW.
    Jul 8, 2008
    This game is really awesome if you are tough enough to get through it. I recently beat it, and I can say that if you don't learn to kick ass fast, you'll hate it! But the gameplay is far from repetitive- this is the best fighting engine ever made, and it never gets old! The graphics and sound are also superb, and it has a lot of replay value. The only real problem is the camera, This game is really awesome if you are tough enough to get through it. I recently beat it, and I can say that if you don't learn to kick ass fast, you'll hate it! But the gameplay is far from repetitive- this is the best fighting engine ever made, and it never gets old! The graphics and sound are also superb, and it has a lot of replay value. The only real problem is the camera, which is a total piece of crap in small areas or corridors- and occasionally out in the open, too. Expand
  19. pasinduS
    Oct 5, 2009
    This game is awesome, unfortunately it took me a long time to realise it due to the steep learning curve and crazy level of difficulty. Once mastered, however this is easily the best hack and slash game out there. The bosses are great, the weapons awesome and the length just right. Sure, the cameras a bit wonky, but not a game breaker. Just stick with it and youll be in for a great ride.
  20. VictorR.
    Jun 25, 2007
    A true masterpiece.
  21. BobS.
    Jun 28, 2007
    I think the game is wonderful. Though i was let down to some degree by the graphics, the gameplay more than made it up for me.
  22. ToddMurchison
    Jul 11, 2007
    I love my PS3, but I guess I'm still waiting for "Ratchet & Clank Future Tools of Distruction" for a game to play (not counting some of the excellent, but small download only releases). I rented "Ninja Gaiden Sigma" and I'm glad I elected to "test drive" it before investing in a purchase. It would appear that I fall into the camp of people who think this game is too hard to be I love my PS3, but I guess I'm still waiting for "Ratchet & Clank Future Tools of Distruction" for a game to play (not counting some of the excellent, but small download only releases). I rented "Ninja Gaiden Sigma" and I'm glad I elected to "test drive" it before investing in a purchase. It would appear that I fall into the camp of people who think this game is too hard to be fun. I could care less if people flame me for not being a "real gamer." I'm not interested in being "hard core." At the end of the day my plane, simple, honest goal is to have fun. Now, just so you know where I'm coming from, let me give you a little background. I am recently married, my wife and I recently bought a house, and we are expecting our first child due in a few weeks. My gaming time, once copious, is now limited to a few hours a week. I'm sure I'll have even less time when the kid arrives. This does not mean I don't still enjoy an involved game that takes dedication and persistence to progress through, but it does mean that I am not interested in spending my few precious gamming hours trying to beat the same difficult level boss over and over. The game does look fairly polished when played on a decent TV at 1080p. Aware of the general "difficulty" complaints I played through the first chapter, decided that for a first chapter it was a bit on the tricky side. So I Googled how to get the game into easy mode. This involved restarting the game back in chapter 1, but I didn't mind. Once I had the game in "prance around wearing pink" (aka easy) mode (you literally wear pink in this mode) chapter 1 did become boringly easy, so I thought this would resolve the problem for me. As a side note, the game is very insulting about going into easy mode. Your rank is called "Ninja Dog", you are forced to watch demeaning cut scenes in addition to wearing pink, and the game asks you 3 times if you are SURE you want to switch. And for the record, I completely approve. I actually like the whole idea in general of coming up with humorously insulting easy modes in games. Anyway, I digress. So there I am prancing about in my pink panties (I'm extrapolating) and I play to about half way through chapter 3. At this point I find that the game has becoming prohibitively difficult again - in easy mode! I would just like to point out that I'm fairly sure I could have completed the game, even in the default difficulty level. But I will reiterate: I am not interested in spending my gaming time trying the same difficult battles over and over again. I am also not the world's biggest fan of learning lengthy, complicated fighting combo button sequences. In general I think games should just offer a variety of difficulty options. It seems like an easy way to satisfy a wide range of gamers. Just slap a pink tutu on my character and let me enjoy the game in a more casual way. But the "easy" mode in "Ninja Gaiden Sigma" falls short (as does the game in general). I would also like to make it clear that even if the game had become easy enough in easy mode I still think I would have found it ONLY "playable" and not quite a game I'd want to spend $60.00 (or whatever the price is). I strongly recommend giving it a test drive as a rental first. Save the cash and use it to buy 5 or 6 really decent download only games instead. Expand
  23. MikeR.
    Jul 23, 2007
    Ninjas are assassins. The game could have gone the Metal Gear Solid route and focused on stealth, but there are sufficiently other ninja-esque skills at work besides pleather wrappings. Acrobatic skills, tools of the trade (smoke bombs and shurikens) are all here. The game is difficult, but not impossible. The nods to Miyamoto Musashi are fun (not only the dual swords, but the wood sword Ninjas are assassins. The game could have gone the Metal Gear Solid route and focused on stealth, but there are sufficiently other ninja-esque skills at work besides pleather wrappings. Acrobatic skills, tools of the trade (smoke bombs and shurikens) are all here. The game is difficult, but not impossible. The nods to Miyamoto Musashi are fun (not only the dual swords, but the wood sword -- Musashi's first dual was with a wood sword). There are mini-missions to unlock upon completing the game, as well as non-pleather costumes. I agree that some of Rachel's missions are distracting and take you out of your Ryu groove, but they tie her storyline into the overall narrative better than cut-scenes alone. This is a game you can come back to and play over-and-over, which is truly the difference between a BUY and a RENT. Expand
  24. AngeloF.
    Sep 12, 2007
    Alright, if it wasnt bad enough trying to remeber where I have to go and where I just came from but everytime you return to where you had to fight someone, do they have to reappear each and every f-ing time you return to a place where you have already been. I remeber I came to a part where I had to fight people on motorcycles and if the camera angles werent bad enough, after I beat I left Alright, if it wasnt bad enough trying to remeber where I have to go and where I just came from but everytime you return to where you had to fight someone, do they have to reappear each and every f-ing time you return to a place where you have already been. I remeber I came to a part where I had to fight people on motorcycles and if the camera angles werent bad enough, after I beat I left for a second and thought maybe I should make sure I didnt miss anything so I turn and go back to were I just came and the exact same sequence occured. It happened everytime, what a waste. I hope the peron or team who is reponsible for polishing up the game before it was released gets lessons on how to do their job correctly because as badly as I wanted to like the game it was just so annoying after a while. Expand
  25. Tonisha
    Feb 16, 2008
    Yes, the camera can be a pain in the ass (which is why Team Ninja should have just given us a good camera to work with instead of letting us control the camera while fighting enemies and then losing control with the bosses), but this game is amazing. I have never played a game in which I had to constantly play it over to improve my skills because I screwed up in the harder modes. I wish Yes, the camera can be a pain in the ass (which is why Team Ninja should have just given us a good camera to work with instead of letting us control the camera while fighting enemies and then losing control with the bosses), but this game is amazing. I have never played a game in which I had to constantly play it over to improve my skills because I screwed up in the harder modes. I wish Team Ninja would bring another version to the PS3. Don't neglect th PS3! Expand
  26. JeremyM.
    Feb 21, 2008
    Awesome game, it's a great challenge. It's refreshing to see a challenging and difficult game, considering many games these days are a breeze to beat.
  27. LukeR.
    Apr 28, 2008
    Good Game with flawless gameplay mechanics I just with it had some sort of story line to motivate me through those ridiculously hard levels.
  28. bestreviews
    Nov 7, 2007
    With great graphics and good handle on the controls, fight sequences,umm, lets just say it made much of my experience very frustrating. I would kill a group of enemies that untilmately never die. every time you revisit a place where you faught a group of people you will be faced with the same exact fight again, over and over and over and over again, so if you are missing anything you are With great graphics and good handle on the controls, fight sequences,umm, lets just say it made much of my experience very frustrating. I would kill a group of enemies that untilmately never die. every time you revisit a place where you faught a group of people you will be faced with the same exact fight again, over and over and over and over again, so if you are missing anything you are going to hate having to ever go back the way you came. Oh yeah what is up with the camera angles? For all the reviewers who scored this 100 should rate the game on how it is and not rate it on how much better it is compared to a nintendo version,umm I am paying $60. Overall I would only recommened this as a renter. I would onnly want to pay $8 to be dissapointed definitely not $60. Collapse
  29. j.K.
    Nov 7, 2007
    This game truely has next gen graphics, the combo system is great as well, a definite must buy.
  30. DeeCee
    Jun 27, 2007
    Ryu is a ... Badass! This game looks amazing! It plays really well, and like most reviewers have said.. if you don't learn how to block... You will never finish the game. Definately worth a purchase.

1. Electronic Gaming Monthly
    Genuinely new content doesn't abound, but Sigma remains such an expansive, challenging, and well-paced thrill ride that you won't care. [July 2007, p.84]
  2. Hardcore Gamer
    It's a great game and worth a try if you're brave and/or a masochist. [July 2007, p.64]
  3. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    This is punishingly, mercilessly, remorselessly ferocious. You will never, ever finish it. Until you learn to block. [July 2007, p.98]