7.2

1. Sep 3, 2014
    Much like the original Wii title this HD port is based on, No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise is a game that had every right in the world to be a cult masterpiece. However, what you get in this HD version may not be what you have been expecting.

The game has received a rather substantial graphical overhaul in Heroes' Paradise, with enhanced character models, particle effects and lighting effects. For what it's worth, the game does look nice. The character models in particular look wonderful, as do the particle effects. It's hard to appreciate either of these things when the game has serious screen tearing and framerate issues, though.

For my money, the graphics here may actually look a bit worse than the original game. Even if this port didn't display framerate issues, the framerate as a whole has been cut to a variable 30fps; half of what the original Wii title ran at. On top of this, all of the deeply contrasted cel-shading effects from the original game are absent. To paint a clearer visual representation, shadows in the Wii version were flat black, with no real shading to be seen. Every shadow that appeared was just black, and it gave the game a very distinct, very appealing look, especially when you're watching everything unfold at 60fps when the game can reach it. The shadows in Heroes' Paradise are actually shaded, and the game loses a lot of its artistic visual aesthetic because of this. For comparison's sake, if the original Wii version were an underground, punk-ethos released manga, then Heroes' Paradise is the big budget, overtly polished, yet often soulless anime adaptation.

The changes don't end with the visuals, however. The audio has taken some pretty substantial hits in the port. The enemies you slice up with Travis' beam katana are missing a ton of dialogue, and it's all been replaced with "My spleen!" and "I don't feel **** Virtually every enemy set you encounter will spout the same 3 or 4 phrases, while the Wii version had a ton of variation in what these enemies were saying. It's a puzzling change, and one I don't care for in the least.

This isn't to say that some things weren't improved. Replaying side missions has never been easier thanks to a fast-travel option (something the original game was sorely lacking), and the visual style of the game is certainly more polished. It's up to personal opinion as to whether you prefer the redesigned aesthetic look, but I stand by saying it looks no better or worse than the original; it just looks different.

Aside from the often unnecessary changes this port brought, this is virtually the same No More Heroes we know and love. Gameplay consists of fighting your way through 10 levels to reach incredible end-bosses, then grinding yourself silly for cash in the game's lifeless open-world; rinse, repeat. Personally, I don't mind these things. I can recognize that a lot of the game is repetitive, but despite that, the original No More Heroes is one of my favorite video games of all time. If not for its outright fun hack 'n slash gameplay and exploration mechanics, then for its satire drenched narrative that poked fun of video games and the people who play them. This is one of the most important aspects to No More Heroes as a whole, and thankfully, the narrative survived the porting process unscathed.

The controls here have also been tweaked slightly to accord for Playstation Move owners. For the most part, it mimics the original Wiimote + Nunchuck control scheme rather well, but the problems arise with the PS Move's responsiveness. There are moments in this game that will require you to shake the PS Move quickly to escape certain pitfalls that Travis may find himself in, and it's very clear that the Move just isn't anywhere near as responsive as the Wiimote + Nunchuck combo. Even the motion for recharging Travis' katana battery was changed, and it too isn't anywhere near as responsive. These changes are not only confusing, but puzzling, since they are for the worse.

Alternatively, you can choose to play with the Dualshock 3, which does fare rather well, and controls much like you'd expect any hack 'n slash game on PS3 to handle. I have the same problem with this as I do with playing No More Heroes 2 with the classic controller; it just isn't as satisfying. When you finish button-mashing your way through a long streak of beam katana attacks and enter "death blow" mode to swing your katana through an enemy's body, there's something esoterically satisfying about replicating that motion with a Wiimote. You all but lose that satisfying control mechanic with the Dualshock 3, which opts to use analog stick movement instead of motion controls. Normally, this would be something I would praise, but in No More Heroes' case, it just isn't nearly as satisfying.

When the motion controls aren't nearly as responsive as they should be, and the Dualshock 3 controls aren't nearly as satisfying as they should be, you're left with a game that loses a lot of the appea
  2. Oct 30, 2011
    Game is definitely not great. Everything about the story is very niche, you will either go for the quirkiness and stack that up with it's somewhat few good points, or pile it up with the bad aspects of the game. But a few things are somewhat absolute, and you will to get past them will determine how well this game does for you. The controls are HORRIBLE, it doesn't matter if you play withGame is definitely not great. Everything about the story is very niche, you will either go for the quirkiness and stack that up with it's somewhat few good points, or pile it up with the bad aspects of the game. But a few things are somewhat absolute, and you will to get past them will determine how well this game does for you. The controls are HORRIBLE, it doesn't matter if you play with the Dual Shock 3 or the Playstation Move, both suck in different ways but suck nonetheless (some mini-games seem impossible on the Move though). The game is very limited, with huge environments that are very boring, look all alike and are filled to death with invisible walls. The world is completely devoided of live or pretty much anything interesting to do, as a sandbox, this fails miserably. The graphics are very excessively bad, and having it run on a PS3 is kinda aggravating. I'm giving this game a 6 because I find the story overall amusing, but I find myself laughing more AT IT than with it. Expand
  3. Jan 20, 2013
    I usualy do not like/play this kind of games: mindless shooting/slashing/killing, but
    I have to admit that I REALY DO ENJOY THIS ONE!! at first I did not, I played for an hour or less
    and then I throw it and forget about it for quite some time, and then I picked it up again and start slashing and killing and this time I am hoked! it's not for everyone, and I am one picky videogame
    up again and start slashing and killing and this time I am hoked!
    it's not for everyone, and I am one picky videogame player, I do not play anything just for kicks
    I only play serious games like RPGs and action/puzzle games with story that can
    get my attention/interest. This game have no story and no puzzle, its just killing people
    and blood everywhere, I used to hate these kind of games and to judge those who
    like this kind of gener..but oh boy how I am enjoying this!!
    hope to see NoMore Heros 2 ported to PS3. In the other hand the graphics are a bit
    ..well..old school if I may say comparing it to other games of the gener, but hey
    its just a ported wii game, and now I just want to KILL thing!
  4. May 15, 2015

But now, over three years since the release of the original, a lot of the gameplay seems lacking.
  2. Sep 2, 2011
    But really, part of what makes No More Heroes so enjoyable is the nearly nonsensical story, which is still intact here. Lots of 4th wall breaking going on by all parties, and a whole lot pokes are made at popular culture and various geek loves, like Star Wars, Transformers, and others.
  3. Sep 1, 2011
    If you never got around to playing the original on the Wii, or are just looking for an interesting, although flawed, game from the strange mind of Suda51, you can't go wrong with Heroes' Paradise.