7.4

1. Sep 3, 2014
    Much like the original Wii title this HD port is based on, No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise is a game that had every right in the world to be a cult masterpiece. However, what you get in this HD version may not be what you have been expecting.

The game has received a rather substantial graphical overhaul in Heroes' Paradise, with enhanced character models, particle effects and lighting effects. For what it's worth, the game does look nice. The character models in particular look wonderful, as do the particle effects. It's hard to appreciate either of these things when the game has serious screen tearing and framerate issues, though.

For my money, the graphics here may actually look a bit worse than the original game. Even if this port didn't display framerate issues, the framerate as a whole has been cut to a variable 30fps; half of what the original Wii title ran at. On top of this, all of the deeply contrasted cel-shading effects from the original game are absent. To paint a clearer visual representation, shadows in the Wii version were flat black, with no real shading to be seen. Every shadow that appeared was just black, and it gave the game a very distinct, very appealing look, especially when you're watching everything unfold at 60fps when the game can reach it. The shadows in Heroes' Paradise are actually shaded, and the game loses a lot of its artistic visual aesthetic because of this. For comparison's sake, if the original Wii version were an underground, punk-ethos released manga, then Heroes' Paradise is the big budget, overtly polished, yet often soulless anime adaptation.

The changes don't end with the visuals, however. The audio has taken some pretty substantial hits in the port. The enemies you slice up with Travis' beam katana are missing a ton of dialogue, and it's all been replaced with "My spleen!" and "I don't feel **** Virtually every enemy set you encounter will spout the same 3 or 4 phrases, while the Wii version had a ton of variation in what these enemies were saying. It's a puzzling change, and one I don't care for in the least.

This isn't to say that some things weren't improved. Replaying side missions has never been easier thanks to a fast-travel option (something the original game was sorely lacking), and the visual style of the game is certainly more polished. It's up to personal opinion as to whether you prefer the redesigned aesthetic look, but I stand by saying it looks no better or worse than the original; it just looks different.

Aside from the often unnecessary changes this port brought, this is virtually the same No More Heroes we know and love. Gameplay consists of fighting your way through 10 levels to reach incredible end-bosses, then grinding yourself silly for cash in the game's lifeless open-world; rinse, repeat. Personally, I don't mind these things. I can recognize that a lot of the game is repetitive, but despite that, the original No More Heroes is one of my favorite video games of all time. If not for its outright fun hack 'n slash gameplay and exploration mechanics, then for its satire drenched narrative that poked fun of video games and the people who play them. This is one of the most important aspects to No More Heroes as a whole, and thankfully, the narrative survived the porting process unscathed.

The controls here have also been tweaked slightly to accord for Playstation Move owners. For the most part, it mimics the original Wiimote + Nunchuck control scheme rather well, but the problems arise with the PS Move's responsiveness. There are moments in this game that will require you to shake the PS Move quickly to escape certain pitfalls that Travis may find himself in, and it's very clear that the Move just isn't anywhere near as responsive as the Wiimote + Nunchuck combo. Even the motion for recharging Travis' katana battery was changed, and it too isn't anywhere near as responsive. These changes are not only confusing, but puzzling, since they are for the worse.

Alternatively, you can choose to play with the Dualshock 3, which does fare rather well, and controls much like you'd expect any hack 'n slash game on PS3 to handle. I have the same problem with this as I do with playing No More Heroes 2 with the classic controller; it just isn't as satisfying. When you finish button-mashing your way through a long streak of beam katana attacks and enter "death blow" mode to swing your katana through an enemy's body, there's something esoterically satisfying about replicating that motion with a Wiimote. You all but lose that satisfying control mechanic with the Dualshock 3, which opts to use analog stick movement instead of motion controls. Normally, this would be something I would praise, but in No More Heroes' case, it just isn't nearly as satisfying.

When the motion controls aren't nearly as responsive as they should be, and the Dualshock 3 controls aren't nearly as satisfying as they should be, you're left with a game that loses a lot of the appea
  2. May 25, 2013
    One of the best Wii games of all time gets ported over to the PS3. I played this game a while back on the Wii so this is going to be more of a review of the port than the game itself. The game is meant to take advantage of the PS Move technology, but the game is still playable with your standard controller. Aside from the expected HD graphics upgrade the game also comes packed with extraOne of the best Wii games of all time gets ported over to the PS3. I played this game a while back on the Wii so this is going to be more of a review of the port than the game itself. The game is meant to take advantage of the PS Move technology, but the game is still playable with your standard controller. Aside from the expected HD graphics upgrade the game also comes packed with extra content like more side missions, additional bosses taken from No More Heroes 2, and a mode that lets you re-battle the bosses for high-scores without having to replay the game. It was awesome revisiting this title, especially when more recent hack n slash action games have proven to be such a letdown for me. The only complaint I have with the game is that you have to grind through the side missions in order to collect enough money to advance the story. If you weren't able to play No More Heroes because you didn't have a Wii, or just never got around to it, pick up Heroes Paradise. All the extra content make it the definitive version of the game. Expand
  3. May 16, 2013
    Almost ideal for video games:
    - Interesting and varied mini-games;
    - Catchy challenging bosses; - Improvement of the hero; - Vizulny individual style; - Humor, music and sound. So was supposed to be the God of War, but it made ​​a piece of for the kids. What else to expect from the West studio Well that game consoles are the real experts on the case from the Eastern studios that
    Almost ideal for video games:
    - Interesting and varied mini-games;
    - Catchy challenging bosses;
    - Improvement of the hero;
    - Vizulny individual style;
    - Humor, music and sound.
    So was supposed to be the God of War, but it made ​​a piece of for the kids. What else to expect from the West studio Well that game consoles are the real experts on the case from the Eastern studios that make a REAL video game, not QTE-movies.
    A masterpiece of modern gaming industry, is mandatory for gamers, it is not recommended to vanilla fans God of War, Uncharted and other modern "games."
  4. Mar 16, 2013
    This game is pretty much unplayable. The graphics are horrifying. The gameplay is repetitive and boring, the controls are lackluster, and you can't possibly force yourself to care at all about the characters in this game.
  5. Jan 20, 2013
    I usualy do not like/play this kind of games: mindless shooting/slashing/killing, but
    I have to admit that I REALY DO ENJOY THIS ONE!! at first I did not, I played for an hour or less
    and then I throw it and forget about it for quite some time, and then I picked it up again and start slashing and killing and this time I am hoked! it's not for everyone, and I am one picky videogame
    up again and start slashing and killing and this time I am hoked!
    it's not for everyone, and I am one picky videogame player, I do not play anything just for kicks
    I only play serious games like RPGs and action/puzzle games with story that can
    get my attention/interest. This game have no story and no puzzle, its just killing people
    and blood everywhere, I used to hate these kind of games and to judge those who
    like this kind of gener..but oh boy how I am enjoying this!!
    hope to see NoMore Heros 2 ported to PS3. In the other hand the graphics are a bit
    ..well..old school if I may say comparing it to other games of the gener, but hey
    its just a ported wii game, and now I just want to KILL thing!
  6. Dec 28, 2012
    Such a odd game yet in a good way. No more heroes certainly can be given some credit for being some what original. Even though in the end it is a Hack n Slash game , though it is one that is done fairly well. The story is pretty off the wall and pretty goofy and trust me by the time you get to the end it only gets more insane but its also not taking its self seriesly ether. In betweenSuch a odd game yet in a good way. No more heroes certainly can be given some credit for being some what original. Even though in the end it is a Hack n Slash game , though it is one that is done fairly well. The story is pretty off the wall and pretty goofy and trust me by the time you get to the end it only gets more insane but its also not taking its self seriesly ether. In between missions you can drive this insane tricked out rocket cycle around town in a free roam mode and do differnt things like assasine missions, look for orange balls to learn new skills , or work at odd ball part time jobs which actaully can be kinda intresting and fun to make some cash. you can also buy all kinds of clothing attire at the store and some upgrades for your beam like laser sword. The whole point of the game ultimatley is to become the #1 assasine in the world . The diffaculty with the bosses can be abit odd you will fight one thats way easy then one thats hard then one thats way easy again but still its a fun game and if you want some thing differnt then you should check this out. Expand
  7. May 9, 2012
    A game that is as much bold, brash and entertaining as much as it is tiring, frustrating and dull. It's a game that never apologises for its short comings, but can't wait to point out why it is so f***ing brilliant. For each three hours of gameplay you will spend at least one and a half hours navigating Santa Destroy, one of the worst 'hub' worlds I have played in in my time as a gamer;A game that is as much bold, brash and entertaining as much as it is tiring, frustrating and dull. It's a game that never apologises for its short comings, but can't wait to point out why it is so f***ing brilliant. For each three hours of gameplay you will spend at least one and a half hours navigating Santa Destroy, one of the worst 'hub' worlds I have played in in my time as a gamer; made frightfully worse by protagonist Travis Touchdown's dodgy motorcycle mechanics. When you've saved up enough money beating a series of challenges and mini games Travis dispenses a princely finder's fee into an ATM and he rushes off to do what he does best; kill someone. The actual pre boss levels are thrilling endurance races designed to test a gamer, and then you have possibly ten of the most unique and crazy boss fights this side of the millennium. Crazy, fun, not perfect but doesn't have to be. Heroes Paradise will sit on my game rack as one of my little guilty pleasures for some time to come. Collapse
  8. Oct 30, 2011
    Game is definitely not great. Everything about the story is very niche, you will either go for the quirkiness and stack that up with it's somewhat few good points, or pile it up with the bad aspects of the game. But a few things are somewhat absolute, and you will to get past them will determine how well this game does for you. The controls are HORRIBLE, it doesn't matter if you play withGame is definitely not great. Everything about the story is very niche, you will either go for the quirkiness and stack that up with it's somewhat few good points, or pile it up with the bad aspects of the game. But a few things are somewhat absolute, and you will to get past them will determine how well this game does for you. The controls are HORRIBLE, it doesn't matter if you play with the Dual Shock 3 or the Playstation Move, both suck in different ways but suck nonetheless (some mini-games seem impossible on the Move though). The game is very limited, with huge environments that are very boring, look all alike and are filled to death with invisible walls. The world is completely devoided of live or pretty much anything interesting to do, as a sandbox, this fails miserably. The graphics are very excessively bad, and having it run on a PS3 is kinda aggravating. I'm giving this game a 6 because I find the story overall amusing, but I find myself laughing more AT IT than with it. Expand
  9. Oct 12, 2011
    Having played through this game on the Wii a couple years ago, I was a fan, but the lack of HD visuals was a real downside of this game. I liked it enough to get it on the PS3 with the updated visuals and the extra content. I was quite pleased with this PS3 package. The combat is solid (I chose no to use the Move, even though I have one), the stages are challenging, and its got charm toHaving played through this game on the Wii a couple years ago, I was a fan, but the lack of HD visuals was a real downside of this game. I liked it enough to get it on the PS3 with the updated visuals and the extra content. I was quite pleased with this PS3 package. The combat is solid (I chose no to use the Move, even though I have one), the stages are challenging, and its got charm to spare. Thankfully, the horrible Japanese to English translations still exist in all their glory. Minor annoyances such as the awful driving and jobs are still there, but honestly, it would have taken away from the overall experience had they been removed. Let's hope they bring NMH2 over eventually as well. Expand
  10. Sep 9, 2011
    Has to be one of my favourite games of all time. Picked up the Wii version a year or two ago for £7.99 and fell in love with it completely, so I was stoked that there was going to be an HD update for the Move. Definitely not a game for everyone, but this game has an excellent following nonetheless, and ticks just about every box.

Brilliant dialogue teamed with a nice and

Brilliant dialogue teamed with a nice and unintrusive storyline and hilarious, amazingly interesting and brutal characters come together to make the innovative take on the Hack 'n' Slash action that much more fun and exciting, and the game keeps all of the fights interesting to complete more than a few times. The fact that this version of the game is uncut is also a huge bonus, as there was no blood in the European version of the Wii game, and the game is made that much cooler by being able to slice your enemies in two. Of course the main element of the game is the fighting and ranked battles that you have to take part in to reach the number 1 spot on the Assassin's rankings, the open world (the Wii game's biggest flaw) has been touched upon and improved, with many bugs being taken out and more reasons to explore.

Of course, the new PlayStation exclusive features are all welcomed greatly, including the surprisingly nice graphics, excellent Move and Dualshock support and not to mention the extra modes such as the score and time based boss fight mode which really adds a lot of replayability to the game. The inclusion of a handful of brilliantly integrated bosses from Desperate Struggle (a game I unfortunately never bought) is an excellent idea and they are carried over well and leave me clinging on to the idea of a sequel (despite poor sales of this update). New beam katanas and paintjobs for the Schpheltiger (Schfeltiger?) Motorcycle are also a nice way to add new things to collect and experiment with.

Overall, this game is great (despite a few technical flaws, but that's forgiveable when you consider it's an update of a somewhat less powerful Wii game) and it's such a shame that only 90,000 copies have been sold. Still holding out for the sequel though, that'd be ace. All that remains is to thank AQ Interactive and Marvelous Entertainment for updating this game for the PS3.
  11. Aug 27, 2011
    A strange, yet unique action title that will entertain as long as the player is able to look past some rough spots and shoddy design choices. It is essentially a shined-up, HD port of the Wii title with a few extra bells and whistles. The action is solid and the bosses are memorable. The only downfall would have to be the constant grind for cash, as it is required to move forward in theA strange, yet unique action title that will entertain as long as the player is able to look past some rough spots and shoddy design choices. It is essentially a shined-up, HD port of the Wii title with a few extra bells and whistles. The action is solid and the bosses are memorable. The only downfall would have to be the constant grind for cash, as it is required to move forward in the game and the side-jobs can be aggravatingly repetitive. I would definitely recommend downloading the demo before purchasing the title, as this game is not for everyone. Expand
  12. Aug 25, 2011
    complete garbage the main charachter is just a pervert and is just creepy and not funny the driving system suck and is hard to do there is no mini map and it is essential to have one in a game like this and it is so boring doing missions to get enough money to continue the story line and traveling through the city is boring and uneventful skip this don't even rent it if it weren't for thecomplete garbage the main charachter is just a pervert and is just creepy and not funny the driving system suck and is hard to do there is no mini map and it is essential to have one in a game like this and it is so boring doing missions to get enough money to continue the story line and traveling through the city is boring and uneventful skip this don't even rent it if it weren't for the fact I had to pay 60 bucks for the game I'd snap the disc instead of trading it in I feel sorry for anyone that had to suffer through this Expand
  13. May 9, 2012

But now, over three years since the release of the original, a lot of the gameplay seems lacking.
  2. Sep 2, 2011
    But really, part of what makes No More Heroes so enjoyable is the nearly nonsensical story, which is still intact here. Lots of 4th wall breaking going on by all parties, and a whole lot pokes are made at popular culture and various geek loves, like Star Wars, Transformers, and others.
  3. Sep 1, 2011
    If you never got around to playing the original on the Wii, or are just looking for an interesting, although flawed, game from the strange mind of Suda51, you can't go wrong with Heroes' Paradise.