• Publisher: Capcom
  • Release Date: Oct 30, 2012
8.8

1. Feb 4, 2013
    This game has a LOT of lines of text you need to read, but has no voice-overs. I also feel it drags on for way too long. The story could've been told in 20 hours, and it's only 40+ hours long because of the 'filler' material.
  2. Dec 18, 2013
    A bit underwhelming. The graphics are beautiful but the story is long and slow. And the gameplay is actually not that special, it's really quite traditional even though you use the paint brush. I never truly felt part off the world, but that's me. I give it a 7 because objectively, there's nothing really bad I can say, it's just not as special as people say and not as special as it looks.A bit underwhelming. The graphics are beautiful but the story is long and slow. And the gameplay is actually not that special, it's really quite traditional even though you use the paint brush. I never truly felt part off the world, but that's me. I give it a 7 because objectively, there's nothing really bad I can say, it's just not as special as people say and not as special as it looks. And I defenitely felt it was a PS2 game, these games were not as fluid as they are now. Expand
  3. Jul 31, 2013
    I decided to play this game because I wanted to relax after finishing Hitman Absolution. It's part of my PlayStation Plus so I got it for free. But to be honest I won't buy it because it's not my type of games that I would enjoy.
    the game is fun and sweet. Cool story. But I hate the long conversations in cut scenes and other situations. Just too long and get boring. Also these conversations sometimes contain important information about your quest. So skipping them my result of returning to them later to understand what you should do.
    I'm enjoying the game play and the story. The graphics are so sweet. Characters are fun. But those long conversations and you have to follow and to move next you have to tab X is really annoying.
    This is 7 for me. I was right when I picked this one for a relax mode.
  4. Apr 27, 2013
    Okami HD is Okami, but than HD. I didn't like the first game, so i didn't like this one either. I was expecting just a little more for what i spent.
  5. Dec 5, 2013
    I've heard many good things about Okami and how its aesthetic, visual quality and rewarding gameplay defined it as its own, standing out from other games like a flower in a dead field. I've decided to purchase Okami HD on PSN. While Okami is definitely interesting looking, coming off as having a very old-age artistic Japanese-stylized painting, the game wears itself out in other areas andI've heard many good things about Okami and how its aesthetic, visual quality and rewarding gameplay defined it as its own, standing out from other games like a flower in a dead field. I've decided to purchase Okami HD on PSN. While Okami is definitely interesting looking, coming off as having a very old-age artistic Japanese-stylized painting, the game wears itself out in other areas and overstays its welcome.

Gameplay: With an incredible 40+ hours of gameplay that feels a lot longer than it should, I found myself being worn out more quickly than I'd have liked. At first the game's functions are delightful. These functions involve being able to use a Celestial Brush to restore order and life to a demon-ravaged world and engaging in combat with demonic foes while using said Brush as a piece of your arsenal in battle. The first ten hours or so of the game are really nice, but then I realized something: There was hardly any changing or real satisfying variety going on. You get new Brush techniques from different gods you awaken and free through constellations and you get new weapons for Ammy, but beyond that extent there is nothing much else and everything feels like an immense and tiring drag.

There are your platforming sections scattered around many different places and you also have the option to do sidequests. Normally I love sidequests in games, but in a game where the GAMEPLAY is wearing out on me, I found myself eventually trying to skip everything just to carry on with the story. You also have mini-games to play, and this is a plausible effort to freshen up the gameplay, but it doesn't last, as you'll be playing these mini-games over and over.

Once you get the gist of Okami's gameplay and learn the basics, the game doesn't branch out far from these basics. It becomes way too easy and I could not stay engaged for very long.

Story/Narrative: The story of the game is a combination of many different elements of Japanese folklores, but everything meshes together pretty well to deliver a relatively simple story and objective. You must save the beauty and order of the world as sun god, Amaterasu, taken the form of a wolf. I have no issues with the story, but a big issue the game had was how much it dragged it along. There is plentious filler stuffed into many different segments and this has greatly contributed to my lack of interest.

Another complaint that I have is that cutscenes are quite irritating, not just to sit through, but also to LISTEN to. At first the little mumbling voices were cute, but when you have to hear them for fourty hours, it really crosses the line. Not only that, but cutscenes could have been greatly improved by not making the player have to press a button to move forward to the next bit of dialogue. While I see this is good for slower individuals, it asks for me to stay involved and yet doesn't give me the option to quick-scroll like you can do outside of more major cutscenes.

Music/Sound: I've already mentioned the annoying mumbling "vocals" above, so I'll strike that out. The music and sound in this game is pretty fantastic. The music has a very oriental touch which compliments the atmosphere wonderfully. The sounds are really nice, especially in fights. I actually got goosebumps from some of the awesome sound effects in the game. This and the aesthetics are clearly the strongest points of the game.

Aesthetics/Graphics: Okami, as mentioned above, has its own unique artistic style. At first it is very well presented and quite pleasing to look at. It's clearly a breath of fresh air from the common graphic styles we see in games today. Okami's flair in the graphics department is hardly matched by others, not necessarily in realism, but in sheer style, and I can greatly respect the game for this.

The locales and environments, however, tend to not have a very distinctive style to their construction and geography when compared to other areas in-game. Despite the very nice style the game has going on, it doesn't seem like there has been much effort applied to simple attention to detail and having the game's areas stand out from each other. There are definitely certain areas that are unique, but it is expected since they are meant to house more important events/battles/scenes.

Overall, Okami has not lived up to the hype, in my opinion. The game is heavily drawn out by filler and its gimmicks in gameplay only last for so long before becoming absolutely thoughtless. Its narrative is irritating and oftentimes longer than it needs to be. I'm usually not one to complain about game length, but this game really needed to put more effort into keeping the gameplay fresh to keep my attention for so long. Despite these shortcomings, the game's art style and audio really impressed me and left me breathless in some moments; it's definitely where the game shines most.
  6. Feb 16, 2013
    You shouldn't be reading this if you haven't played the game and instead go and play it now. For those of you who played the PS2 version, you'll be happy to know that it looks and sounds amazing and the hd makeover really makes it worth the price of admission. The move controller is a must to get the most out of this version, a match made in heaven. Ninetails won't see what's coming, muchYou shouldn't be reading this if you haven't played the game and instead go and play it now. For those of you who played the PS2 version, you'll be happy to know that it looks and sounds amazing and the hd makeover really makes it worth the price of admission. The move controller is a must to get the most out of this version, a match made in heaven. Ninetails won't see what's coming, much better than the wii version which wasn't bad but the wii remote acts up from time to time. Collapse

1. Oct 24, 2013
    Seven years after its first appearance and Okami feels just as fresh now as it did back in 2006.
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    Still, for every demon slain, more beauty is restored to the land, as gorgeously rendered-flowers and wildlife spring up from the scenes of battle. And the wildlife that roams Nippon not to be feared, but rather fed, in sickeningly cute cutscenes.
  3. Feb 21, 2013
    Okami HD is the definite version of the classic adventure. It is an amazing feat for a six year old game to look better than most of its recent rivals. A true classic, filled with emotion, adventure and laughter. [Feb 2013]