6.5

1. May 5, 2016
    Operation Flashpoint is known to be one of the best soldier simulation game of history, will the change of developers affect this franchise ? Lets check that.

Technically the game is okay, with average graphics and animations but no loading times during the missions which is good given the fact that we have an open battlefield of several miles/kilometers to play with and the AI is competent (even if there is room for improvement). There's also a very good sound design with realistic fire shots and vehicles that truly involve the player in the game.

Concerning the gameplay it's definitively a simulation game where position is extremely important, you kill and die in one or two bullets depending of where it impacts, you must manage your team, etc. But the lack of innovation and diversity in the game design make it rather generic and forgettable.

The story is resume in a (very good) opening cinematic and... that's all, yes of course you have small written briefings at the beginning of every missions and some communications with your HQ when you play but that's really not enough (no social interaction with your team) and I would expect a good, detailed and realistic story from a perfect "war simulation" game. The length of the game is okay, it took a little more than 12 hours to finish the campaign with all the secondary objectives.

In conclusion Dragon Rising is a rather good simulation game but too generic to stick in your memory and with some flaws that will get in your way of pure fun. Advisable for simulation lovers but not the best game if you want to try the genre for the first time.
  2. C.Davenport
    Oct 8, 2009
    The authenticity is great. Realistic tactics, movement, engagement ranges, etc. I just wish there was some kind of tutorial. You get dropped into the first mission with minimal guidance on movement, squad mechanics, and weapons characteristic. Yes, it's awesome that rounds fired drop off at longer range, but there is no way to gauge the drop of before you fire. Different weapons have The authenticity is great. Realistic tactics, movement, engagement ranges, etc. I just wish there was some kind of tutorial. You get dropped into the first mission with minimal guidance on movement, squad mechanics, and weapons characteristic. Yes, it's awesome that rounds fired drop off at longer range, but there is no way to gauge the drop of before you fire. Different weapons have different scope and ammunition types, resulting in different adjustments and trajectories (WITH NO GUIDANCE OR EXPLANATION), so rarely expect that first shot to hit, much less kill. At least, that is, until you've put in enough hours to familiarize yourself with each weapon. This console release has gone the route of Killzone 2, and put immersion and authenticity over enjoyment. For Killzone, much of those issues, including awkward controls, were patched. That's not like to be the case with Dragon Rising. It's not a bad game by any measure. The die hard tactical shooter crowd will love every intense second of it, but that may be about it. For the casual crowd, there will be screaming. There will be swearing. There will be a great many used copies available at you local game shop. As for myself, I'll get the hang of it eventually. I figure starting over from the last checkpoint beats a real bullet any day, and I got a war to win . . . Lord hates a coward. Expand
  3. DomW.
    Oct 13, 2009
    This game does not even come close to meeting its expectations. Operation flashpoint cold war crisis had bugs in its first release, sure, but the game play was brilliant and was years ahead of competitors. It had a good variety of missions and the mission editor with multiplayer ensured its shelf life. OF: Dragon rising (PC) however doesnt meet the expectations of a game released in 2009, This game does not even come close to meeting its expectations. Operation flashpoint cold war crisis had bugs in its first release, sure, but the game play was brilliant and was years ahead of competitors. It had a good variety of missions and the mission editor with multiplayer ensured its shelf life. OF: Dragon rising (PC) however doesnt meet the expectations of a game released in 2009, certainly after its numerous delays. Currently, this game is riddled with bugs, which I find detract from gameplay. What many people were looking forward to was the large scale skirmishes, this can not happen with current unit restrictions. Perhaps most dissapointing for me was the poor attempt at a multiplayer system, which doesnt even explore a fraction of the potential this game deserved. As it stands, this game fails to deliver on so many levels. Although a patch has been confirmed by Codemasters since the day of release, if the first release is anything to show for the worksmanship of what is acceptable, I will not be getting my hopes up. Although, after compleeting the campaign, I find there are some positives to draw from this title, such as detailed vehicle models and the game environment its self. One underlying problem annoys me more than anything else... I spent $40 on what feels like a pre-release beta version of the game. Sadly, this nothing like the gaming community expected for something which is by name, part of the operation flashpoint series. Given time and several patches to this game, it may turn out to provide the realistic millitary simulation that its developers have claimed it can do. My advice, hold back on those crisp money notes and wait until after christmas for the price to come down. Expand
  4. JohanO.
    Oct 11, 2009
    It's a soldier sim but it isn't Operation Flashpoint. No flying helicopters and driving tanks in the singelplayer. 11 short infantery missions. Sure it is cool playing as a marine, but the servers doesn't work so not much of the Co-Op part.
  5. NikoW
    Oct 14, 2009
    Game is below-standard on several fronts (graphics, physics and AI are all sketchy), but still brings something fresh to the table with its deliberate pacing and emphasis on approach and strategy. Overall I am quite pleased, but then I had no expectations and basically purchased on a whim. For someone who was looking forward to this game for weeks, months, or more, I can understand where Game is below-standard on several fronts (graphics, physics and AI are all sketchy), but still brings something fresh to the table with its deliberate pacing and emphasis on approach and strategy. Overall I am quite pleased, but then I had no expectations and basically purchased on a whim. For someone who was looking forward to this game for weeks, months, or more, I can understand where they'd be disappointed. But for a change-of-pace and a "hardcore" FPS experience (I've only played on Hardcore mode, which has no checkpoints and no HUD), I think this game delivers. 7/10 is a fair score. Don't expect too much, accept it for what it is, and you'll enjoy yourself I believe. Expand
  6. Jul 2, 2011
    Dragon Rising is an extremely challenging and REALISTIC game that requires you to use your brain a lot. So realistic that you can die in one shot! Because of this, people look down to this game. Look, this isn't some run-and-gun game. This is real war and it shows you that it isn't a joke. Multiplayer is great. It's like Battlefield but more realistic. However, there aren't many peopleDragon Rising is an extremely challenging and REALISTIC game that requires you to use your brain a lot. So realistic that you can die in one shot! Because of this, people look down to this game. Look, this isn't some run-and-gun game. This is real war and it shows you that it isn't a joke. Multiplayer is great. It's like Battlefield but more realistic. However, there aren't many people online. Also, when you compare this game to its PC counterpart, you realize that the consoles are missing out the map editor. If you have a powerful PC, you're better with the PC version. But even if you could buy the PC version, there is a much better game out there, ArmA 2. But then again, ArmA 2 requires a more powerful machine to run. So Dragon Rising is recommended if you have a weaker system. Still, Dragon Rising is a good game, but I recommend that you get it when the price drops. Expand
  7. Jan 2, 2014
    While I liked the fairly simple control scheme and the fact that for the most part you can get away with just having your squad follow you, I didn't really enjoy it that much.

The graphics are pretty dated and too brown I can live with that, gameplay is what matters. The problem is that gameplay isn't great, it's tedious and boring in that you don't feel much like tactics matter the second you fire your first round it's the same battle as if you planned some kind of strategy. The voices are terrible, though I don't mind that too much either. But by far the biggest thing that killed this game for me was that it didn't even have realistic bullet physics, and without that I might as well be playing Call of Duty. The AI aimbot is slightly annoying too, though I didn't die it bugged me that I could be seen by a guy with no scope on his rifle from half way across the map while I was hidden in the scrub.

In short this is not a military simulator, it's a tactical shooter that doesn't really do the tactical part very well. Don't get me wrong it isn't a bad game, it just feels older than it is.

Give me ARMA II without all the squad commanding and I'll be happy, unfortunately the closest thing to that is Sniper Elite and it has terrible AI...

1. The authenticity and attention to detail in Dragon Rising is to be applauded.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    It's definitely a brilliantly accurate recreation of real army life, but that's not always best for a great night's entertainment. [Nov 2009, p.106]
    If you like playing co-op, or you don't mind trading moments of frustration for a smarter, slower war experience, this is recommended.