6.4

1. Apr 6, 2012
    A realistic game doesn't necessarily mean a fun one. The strategic FPS Operation Flashpoint is a poster child for that statement. Graphically, it's descent with nice long draw distances, but gameplay wise, it's an over-complicated mess that's as fun as a knitting class. Definitely not one for the COD / Battlefield posse, then. That said, if you have a ton of patience and a masochist's desire for punishment, Dragon Rising might float your boat. Unfortunately, it pretty much sinks mine. Expand
  2. Jul 2, 2011
    Dragon Rising is an extremely challenging and REALISTIC game that requires you to use your brain a lot. So realistic that you can die in one shot! Because of this, people look down to this game. Look, this isn't some run-and-gun game. This is real war and it shows you that it isn't a joke. Multiplayer is great. It's like Battlefield but more realistic. However, there aren't many people online. Also, when you compare this game to its PC counterpart, you realize that the consoles are missing out the map editor. If you have a powerful PC, you're better with the PC version. But even if you could buy the PC version, there is a much better game out there, ArmA 2. But then again, ArmA 2 requires a more powerful machine to run. So Dragon Rising is recommended if you have a weaker system. Still, Dragon Rising is a good game, but I recommend that you get it when the price drops. Expand
  3. Jan 2, 2014
    While I liked the fairly simple control scheme and the fact that for the most part you can get away with just having your squad follow you, I didn't really enjoy it that much.

The graphics are pretty dated and too brown I can live with that, gameplay is what matters. The problem is that gameplay isn't great, it's tedious and boring in that you don't feel much like tactics matter the
    second you fire your first round it's the same battle as if you planned some kind of strategy. The voices are terrible, though I don't mind that too much either. But by far the biggest thing that killed this game for me was that it didn't even have realistic bullet physics, and without that I might as well be playing Call of Duty. The AI aimbot is slightly annoying too, though I didn't die it bugged me that I could be seen by a guy with no scope on his rifle from half way across the map while I was hidden in the scrub.

In short this is not a military simulator, it's a tactical shooter that doesn't really do the tactical part very well. Don't get me wrong it isn't a bad game, it just feels older than it is.

Give me ARMA II without all the squad commanding and I'll be happy, unfortunately the closest thing to that is Sniper Elite and it has terrible AI...

1. The authenticity and attention to detail in Dragon Rising is to be applauded.
  2. It's definitely a brilliantly accurate recreation of real army life, but that's not always best for a great night's entertainment. [Nov 2009, p.106]
    If you like playing co-op, or you don't mind trading moments of frustration for a smarter, slower war experience, this is recommended.