7.9

1. Jan 23, 2014
    Fantastic game. Or a gem. :) Beautiful graphics and amazing gameplay with a lot of challenge. I remember when I've played games in the NES era. Some of them were so hard. I got really pissed and angry because I died a lot. But after when I got through a hard area or a hard enemy, then that feeling THAT AMAZING FEELING, that catharsis. This game brings back those feelings and I want toFantastic game. Or a gem. :) Beautiful graphics and amazing gameplay with a lot of challenge. I remember when I've played games in the NES era. Some of them were so hard. I got really pissed and angry because I died a lot. But after when I got through a hard area or a hard enemy, then that feeling THAT AMAZING FEELING, that catharsis. This game brings back those feelings and I want to thank "him" for that. Expand
  2. Nov 29, 2012
    This game brings back the feeling of old platform games whit decent amount of enemies and challenges, the gameplay is classic and the controls feel smooth, but most importantly, for only 10 buck's you are getting a really good game that will keep you entertained for hours. The graphics are nice and really enjoyable. A must have if u like 80's style platform games.
  3. Aug 18, 2012
    I'm not fond of indie games (I don't know if Outland really is classified as an indie game, but that's how I see it). However, Outland is a very good game. I picked it up because it went free for PS plus subscribers, but I think i'd not waste my money if I had bought it. It feels like classic platformers in a inovative way. The spirit change feature gives the game serious gameplayI'm not fond of indie games (I don't know if Outland really is classified as an indie game, but that's how I see it). However, Outland is a very good game. I picked it up because it went free for PS plus subscribers, but I think i'd not waste my money if I had bought it. It feels like classic platformers in a inovative way. The spirit change feature gives the game serious gameplay improvement over other games from the genre. The graphics are stylish and very colorful. The game is smooth and works well, without a bug. The soundtrack is simply beautiful, and you'll notice that when you find yourself fighting a boss. It has a simple, but well told story, For me, it doesn't offer too much "replayability" value, but if you want a good and cheap game, Outland's your call. Expand
  4. Dec 19, 2011
    You know you're getting old when your favourite games of the last few years are all great examples of innovation within a congested market; when nostalgic joys only resurface whilst playing games deemed "too risky" for developers to release at retail.
    Outland is one of the finest examples of this trend to appear this year, and rightly deserves it's place alongside titles such as Shadow Complex and Limbo as a bastion of the videogame legacy. Outland stands somewhere between Shadow of the Beast and a simplified Super Metroid, lavished in current HD presentation to express it's bold art style and atmospheric, primal soundtrack. The ambiguous protagonist must traverse a shadowy 2d wilderness in the footsteps of some great ancestor, harnessing the properties of light and dark as both offence and defence similar to Ikaruga. Extra abilities are made available to the player as you progress these stages, allowing further exploration into the environment in the search for power ups. Each area is divided into stages with a boss fight guarding the route back to the central hub world.
    All of this must make Outland sound like a very conventional game and you'd be right for thinking so. Don't expect any cheap tricks or forced variety to prolong your interest here. Do expect however, to play a very smooth and challenging tribute to games long lost.
  5. Dec 8, 2011
    Solid platformer with rich graphics, immersive environment and excellent gameplay. The ability to switch between light and dark energy modes makes for some really thought-provoking puzzles, while maintaining enough action for proper button mashing. The only real drawback is that after a while, it all starts to feel repetitive as there isn't enough variety to keep the game going.
  6. Nov 29, 2011
    It's difficult to review this game. At least for me. The graphics are haunting. This is a beautiful game, really; one of a kind. I love the atmosphere and how the game flows (platforming, combat, switching colors and all). But then this game offers a kind of challenge that is really not appealing to me. These constant reflex tests in which we have to keep switching colors not to get hit. IIt's difficult to review this game. At least for me. The graphics are haunting. This is a beautiful game, really; one of a kind. I love the atmosphere and how the game flows (platforming, combat, switching colors and all). But then this game offers a kind of challenge that is really not appealing to me. These constant reflex tests in which we have to keep switching colors not to get hit. I really don't like this type of game mechanic because it usually makes me feel stupid. And who likes that? So, for me, this is a great game which is damaged, now and then, but it's painful and unforgivable difficulty. Expand
  7. Sep 19, 2011
    For $10, this game is well worth the price and even a steal. Sure you could probably cruse through the game in about 8 hours or so, but you'd be missing the gorgeous graphics, excellent use of color and style, and the creative way the designers use puzzles, platforming, and powers.
    This game is very well paced and the difficulty does go up gradually, with each new ability learned, it tests you to use that ability from hence forth. Enemies are varied enough to where just hacking and slashing your way through them well only result in your demise. The bosses are huge and take a few tries to develop a pattern and strategy of attack, and the music was very well crafted and used throughout the adventure.
    A few minor drawbacks are the lack of replay value, which I will say only comes from the arcade mode, which allows you to replay areas and marks of the gods, which are little collectibles hidden throughout the game. And trophies I guess.
    As for controls, they were very responsive, and the jumping mechanics was really the nly thing that took a little bit to get used to, if you are a gamer who is used to mario or a more traditional platformer.
    Overall, I would have to rate this game a solid 8/10. I would rate it a 9, if there was any kind of local co-op, but I can see why the developers only put in an online mode.
  8. Aug 20, 2011
    I felt the need to write this review because Inuit_Dude's review was so utterly incompetent. First of all, the game does not cost $60, it costs $10. Secondly, besides both games being platformers, Outland and Little Big Planet have about nothing in common.
  9. Aug 5, 2011
    Outland is a creative take on a classic genre of gaming. It brings life back to the classic sidescrolling game. The art style of outland balances shadow with light, as the world is mostly dark where the enemies are colored. From story, visual and gameplay points of view, Outland does NOT disappoint. You are given many abilitlies throughout the game from being able to switch from blue andOutland is a creative take on a classic genre of gaming. It brings life back to the classic sidescrolling game. The art style of outland balances shadow with light, as the world is mostly dark where the enemies are colored. From story, visual and gameplay points of view, Outland does NOT disappoint. You are given many abilitlies throughout the game from being able to switch from blue and red spirits from launching yourself into treacherous, previously unexplorable areas. Outland is Downloadable gold. A must play by all. Expand
  10. Jul 26, 2011
    I was skeptical about this game at first, but after I bought I was pleasantly surprised. This game has fantastic graphics and greats controls. It mixes platforming, puzzles, and fighting perfectly. The game lasts around 7 to 8 hours. For the price of $9.99, this game is a must buy.
  11. Jul 20, 2011
    My primary concern was simply that there may not have been enough innovation in this title to warrant the purchase. That it was only $10 is a huge selling point, worthy of the risk, and a risk that I was very pleased to have made. While it makes no attempt to turn the entire genre onto its head, the manner in which it presents its fairly nostalgic gameplay of gradually increasingMy primary concern was simply that there may not have been enough innovation in this title to warrant the purchase. That it was only $10 is a huge selling point, worthy of the risk, and a risk that I was very pleased to have made. While it makes no attempt to turn the entire genre onto its head, the manner in which it presents its fairly nostalgic gameplay of gradually increasing abilities, backtracking to find secret areas (mostly optional) and generally challenging scenarios in which one must utilize a proper combination of quick thinking and reflexes in such a manner that the I was left entirely impressed by just how refined those elements were.

This is a fairly hard game, with difficulty that grows after the first "world" and bosses that are at once taxing, but also logical in their attack patterns. Massive numbers of projectiles will force you to time your jumps and movements to be relatively precise; but there I felt a delightful level of accomplishment for having safely traversed each level. The audio and visuals are similarly refined. In fact, I found that they were part and parcel of what made the entire experience so delightful. There were some moments of the game where I found myself legitimately challenged to a point that I probably should have felt frustrated to some degree. That said, I soon realized that the primary reason for not growing frustrated was just how relaxed the artistic visuals and soothing audio had left me. Whether lush jungles or the somewhat chaotic final stages I could just take a moment, breathe, absorb some of the atmosphere presented, and get right back into the thick of things.

There is more that can be said; but the point of it all is that this is one of the finer crafted games that I have played in a long time, the price is right, the difficulty is perfect, and I cannot recommend it enough.
  12. Jul 18, 2011
    Art style is neat and unique and is probably the highlight of the game, there appears to be little to no replay value (though I haven't quite finished it) the gameplay mechanic could use a bit of tweaking too, imo. Namely, asigning "light" and "dark" to two different triggers instead of one, i.e. L1 and R1 instead of just R1, but it doesn't really break the game for me, so I guess it'sArt style is neat and unique and is probably the highlight of the game, there appears to be little to no replay value (though I haven't quite finished it) the gameplay mechanic could use a bit of tweaking too, imo. Namely, asigning "light" and "dark" to two different triggers instead of one, i.e. L1 and R1 instead of just R1, but it doesn't really break the game for me, so I guess it's just a matter of preference. For $10 it's an eye pleasing metroid style platformer that gave me more miles for the dollar than some full retail priced games. You could easily do worse on games that cost 5x as much. Expand
  13. Jul 10, 2011
    this game was fun at first but then gets really boring i do not really like these kinds of games and i dont think anyone should drop 60 bucks on this game im sorry to those that love this game but it is not for me it reminded me alot of little big planet but with less enviromental design and cheap animations
  14. Jul 2, 2011
    I think we are getting to the point of expecting too much in some video games. While I feel plinking down 60$ warrants a great amount of time and effort to give me the proper bang for the buck...the downloadable games in the 10$ range are what they are and should be judged as such. Coming from gaming in the 80's, I found myself transported back to games of the era like The ImpossibleI think we are getting to the point of expecting too much in some video games. While I feel plinking down 60$ warrants a great amount of time and effort to give me the proper bang for the buck...the downloadable games in the 10$ range are what they are and should be judged as such. Coming from gaming in the 80's, I found myself transported back to games of the era like The Impossible Mission from Epyx. I found Outland to be quite a treat, not too complicated and not too simple, a nice balance. There were some sections that required several tries to accomplish the task, but I remember games in the 80's that could be quite brutal in the learning curve. Outland was and is to me a great deal for the dollar. Expand
  15. Jun 16, 2011
    This is game is an average platformer with a few upgrades. It is not as enjoyable as what came years before it like the excellent Kid Chameleon, Castlevania, or Golden Axes. It has average 80s side-scroll level design and physics. Enemies can be large and hard to avoid. Your character's extra speed makes jumping and fighting techniques unbalanced. The pacing, repeated deaths, andThis is game is an average platformer with a few upgrades. It is not as enjoyable as what came years before it like the excellent Kid Chameleon, Castlevania, or Golden Axes. It has average 80s side-scroll level design and physics. Enemies can be large and hard to avoid. Your character's extra speed makes jumping and fighting techniques unbalanced. The pacing, repeated deaths, and retreading the level over and over is too awkward to be rewarding. Its like playing Little Big planet with a Sword. Outland did not keep my interest as well as other 2d games I've played. Collapse
  16. Jun 16, 2011

1. Despite the at-times frantic movement Outland superbly promotes fast flowing gameplay. It's a winner, and the two-player co-op modes are just bonuses on top of a truly satisfying and rewarding title. [July 2011 p84]
  2. Aug 1, 2011
    Metroidvania. Ikaruga. Shadow of the Colossus. All the influences are there, but don't mistake it for those. Outland is a game all its own. It doesn't oversell.
  3. Jul 21, 2011
    It's not pefect, but Outland offers a very satisfying gaming experience for those who are willing to stick with it.