PixelJunk Shooter PlayStation 3

• Also On: PC
8.3

1. AlP
    Dec 11, 2009
    This is not only my favourite of the consistently original Pixeljunk series but my favourite PSN download so far. The physical quality of the level design and "feel" of your spacecraft make this title supremely addictive. It is not the longest game but it is only six quid and while it lasts it is near flawless. Brilliant. An easy 9 from me.
  2. RonnyM
    Dec 12, 2009
    Pixeljunk games are the best!! A bit short, but lovely all the same!!
  3. PhilM
    Dec 11, 2009
    Excellent fun game. The physics are brilliantly done Q-Games have produced probably their best game to date by far!
  4. Oct 13, 2010
    What can I say about Pixel Junk Shooter? First and foremost it!s a game that I've been dreaming for years! It's a game that has been made by game enthusiasts to game enthusiasts. I enjoyed every minutes, every seconds of this game. It made me feel the excite mend that I was feeling when I first played legendary game Another World years ago. Pure fun. Pure addictive. Plus state of artWhat can I say about Pixel Junk Shooter? First and foremost it!s a game that I've been dreaming for years! It's a game that has been made by game enthusiasts to game enthusiasts. I enjoyed every minutes, every seconds of this game. It made me feel the excite mend that I was feeling when I first played legendary game Another World years ago. Pure fun. Pure addictive. Plus state of art genius levels and bosses designs. You can't get one which is better than this! Simple mechanics yet, truly, truly a beautiful game. Expand
  5. mobius
    Dec 20, 2009
    a very addictive shooter well worth the £6.29 price tag. you should get many hours fun out of this
  6. BrianR
    Dec 14, 2009
    Actually an 8.5. I would've put 9 but the overall score for this is just too high! This game has amazing graphics, the music is perfect, the multiplayer is cool, the dual-analog action is AWESOME! and it's very entertaining. The only I didn't give it a higher score is because 1: I'm not sure it's worth the price ($9.99) 2: It just doesn't seem like it's Actually an 8.5. I would've put 9 but the overall score for this is just too high! This game has amazing graphics, the music is perfect, the multiplayer is cool, the dual-analog action is AWESOME! and it's very entertaining. The only I didn't give it a higher score is because 1: I'm not sure it's worth the price ($9.99) 2: It just doesn't seem like it's epic enough to be in that higher echelon of games. VERDICT: 8.5 Also: Metacritic: You should add Game Informer's review of this game... just added this past hour! Expand
  7. MT
    Dec 28, 2009
    One of the best PSN games I've ever played, if not THE best.
  8. Jan 16, 2012
    This game is really fun. Sort of like the "Kirby" games, it is easy - if you want to beat it, you surely will. I found it was very short too - cleared it in under a couple days. So why the high score? The core mechanics feel really good to interact with. The visuals are crisp, distinct and lively. The music by High Frequency Bandwidth is awesome. Also, even after you blast through it,This game is really fun. Sort of like the "Kirby" games, it is easy - if you want to beat it, you surely will. I found it was very short too - cleared it in under a couple days. So why the high score? The core mechanics feel really good to interact with. The visuals are crisp, distinct and lively. The music by High Frequency Bandwidth is awesome. Also, even after you blast through it, there's the challenge of finding all the hidden diamonds and climbing the leaderboards. It's a good balance - most people can see the whole game, but those who want more challenge can push themselves to do better.
    The sequel pretty much threw that out the window and went for the hardest thing they could possibly make, so beware of that - but here I'm reviewing the first game, and it's a must have for PSN shooter, or PixelJunk/Q Games fans.
  9. Oct 2, 2012
    PixelJunk Shooter is the first PixelJunk game I've ever really played. I've played the demos of Eden, Monsters, and Shooter all previously, and I've even bought all of them since then (plus Racers 2nd Lap and Eden on PC), but with backlogs what they are these days Shooter is the first one I've actually gotten around to playing. I say that to really say while I'm interested in the PixelJunkPixelJunk Shooter is the first PixelJunk game I've ever really played. I've played the demos of Eden, Monsters, and Shooter all previously, and I've even bought all of them since then (plus Racers 2nd Lap and Eden on PC), but with backlogs what they are these days Shooter is the first one I've actually gotten around to playing. I say that to really say while I'm interested in the PixelJunk series, I didn't go into this as a pre-existing fan.

The strongest points of Shooter are its clean, almost vector-like graphics, its bass-heavy soundtrack, and its unique fluid mechanics. Any one of these aspects could warrant a purchase to the right person, but the three in unison produce quite the artistic tour de force. Practically in trade-off for this however is a short gameplay length (Braid, Limbo), a fairly easy difficulty (Fez), and when you get down to it, generally unimaginative gameplay mechanics (Fez, again).

Is it fun? Yeeesss... for a time. But few surprises are thrown your way and it's over right when it's gotten warmed up. The core gameplay is, if you look past the unique fluid mechanics, fairly simple. Fly around, collect survivors, kill a few token baddies. It's hardly taxing and fairly evident where the majority of planning and development went to. Two players can help to liven things up a bit, but is generally quite unnecessary.

At a little over 4 hours in length its perfectly reasonable for a game of its type, though not a strong point. I'll mention that there's a "collect all the hidden gems mechanic" to extend the gameplay by a little bit, but not being much of a completionist, it really did nothing for me and honestly seemed rather tedious. But all in all Shooter is one of those games where the art, the sound, and the mechanics come together well for an experience greater than the sum of its parts.

1. PixelJunk Shooter is a taut, well-made and original game that's been lavished with good design and slick coding. It won't detain you long - and without giving too much away, the post-credits kill-screen suggests a DLC expansion is highly likely, as does PixelJunk's past history. But for every minute of those few hours, it's an unpredictable, fluidly entertaining blast.
  2. There can be no doubt that the game's over too soon, but the journey is still worth travelling. When water meets lava... Well, that's worth the asking price alone.
  3. Pixeljunk Shooter is a unique and addictive shooter, its got plenty to keep you thinking and every minute playing it is a joy. For the asking price its hard to fault, Highly recommended