8.3

1. Apr 19, 2011
    Another wonderful masterpiece brought to you by VALVe. This is A+ quality, well worth the $50 bucks.
    Everything looks so good in this game, the source engine seems to have evolved, it looks prettier than ever.
    If you liked the first installment of Portal, i'm sure you'll love Portal 2 with passion.
  2. Apr 19, 2011
    The backlash against Portal 2 on this site is somewhat mystifying to me. As far as sequels go, it would be inconceivable to hope for a better one than this. Much of the bitterness of others probably stems from the underwhelming conclusion of Valve's alternate reality game leading up to the release and the fact that Portal 2 lacks some of the freshness of Portal 1 (but then again, it's a sequel--what do you really expect?). The brilliance of Portal 1's storytelling came as a surprise to people just expecting an experimental puzzle game; Portal 2, then can only lose points by not having even greater writing/humour/etc. Regardless, Portal 2 improves on the original with a longer and more challenging single-player mode, a co-op mode, several new mechanics, and more Portal humor. It's a great sequel to a great game. If the price seems steep to console users, just wait a while and pick it up later--it's worth your time. Expand
  3. Apr 19, 2011
    Completed the single player last night and I feel as if I've lost a friend.
    I won't go into detail because one of the best aspects of the game is discovery, both physically as you explore Aperture Laboratories, and in terms of plot as you encounter new characters and elements of the story.
    Some people might not like the middle section, where the puzzles are outside of the 'test chamber'
    environment, but for me these add a massive boost to the game, since the urge to explore is as strong as the urge to solve the puzzle of how to get from A to B.
    Solving all of the puzzles is a joy... figuring out the solution then experiencing it made me laugh out loud many times. And there's great humour in the script, from Steven Merchant's bumbling Wheatley, to GLaDOS's withering put-downs.
    Replayability is limited to going back and winning trophies you may have missed along the way, which is all well and good except that if you're trying to get the trophy for completing a test chamber in a given time, actually finding that chamber post-completion is a task in itself since you can't just load up individual chambers.
    But I'm not going to mind revisiting some areas, since for now that's the only way you're able to get a puzzle 'fix' without playing the multiplayer.
    I've not done more than a few multiplayer levels, which I went through with my son. They're a great challenge, and I wish I didn't have to wait for someone else to play with in order to get to them!
    Having an early copy meant I couldn't find anyone online to play with, but I suspect it's going to be very frustrating to team up with someone you don't know. And I am pretty sure some players are going to be griefers who just want to wind up strangers by getting their robot character destroyed as often as possible.
    But maybe that in itself could be part of the fun...
    All I hope is that it's not going to be too long before Valve unleashes some single player downloadable content!
  4. Apr 19, 2011
    Pretty pathetic the lengths people will go to trash this game. One or two complaints warrant a 0 score for the game? Complaining about the DLC store which isn't part of the PS3 game? 4 hours in, this has been a fantastic game so far. The new objects, bridges, lasers, gels offer plenty of new challenges. The story in engaging and dialogue is hilarious. Granted, the graphics are a bit dated, but if you let any of these naysayers talk you out of trying this game, you will be missing out on one of the best games released since the first Portal. Expand
  5. Apr 19, 2011
    These people don't know what they have played, they say shooting portals is monotonous, which is not true. The game is very varied, the place where you play it, even though is decaying is very beautiful, it even reconstructs itself. The characters are amazing as well, they have unique personalities. I have to say those people rating low are just trolls who have no idea what a game is and who think a game is just about shooting and killing. Those call of duty fanboys don't know what a quality game is. I highly recommend this game. 10/10 Expand
  6. Jio
    Apr 19, 2011
    Great game, when I got it I was expecting a rehash of Portal with some added extras but what I found was that this is a great improvement from an already amazing game. While the campaign in the original portal was short, this one was amazing with a great story to match. My problems with the game is the co-op which required a lot of cooperation and is oftentimes very difficulty and replay value which isn't as great as other games with not much incentive to play after you beat the campaign. Expand
  7. Apr 19, 2011
    A great continuation of the portal story. It's sad to see users such as "Valvesucks" needlessly bring down the user score when they obviously haven't tried the game.
  8. Apr 19, 2011
    I can say, without any single doubt, that this is the best game I have ever played since the golden Half Life 2 - Doom 3 era. It's maybe me, but I could say that this game is a potential GOTY.
    Great gameplay mechanics, superb voice acting, great humor, beautiful environments and general awesomeness make for a game that shouldn't be missed by anyone. And the campaign is pretty long, too.
  9. Apr 19, 2011
    This is a truly amazing game. I had high expectations and they were definitely lived up to, if not outdone. The new atmosphere is amazing, and the robots have more personality than most human characters. This will be the best game of 2011.
  10. Apr 19, 2011
    Talk about a vindictive attack. I registered for Metacritic for no other reason than to help balance the senseless voting of a few limited minded individuates. If you are stupid enough to run through a game like this in 3 hours (not that I believe you can without glitching), than you deserve your sub-par experience. Go back to staring into a strobe light to fry your brain. Single player play time for me 7.5 hours. Enjoyed every moment. Great writing, acting and overall the ambiance is brilliant. Valve polished every inch of this game (will almost every inch) to a painful shine. While I won't call it hard, it is very satisfying. Looking forward to going through the game again just to see what I missed and pick up a few missed achievements. The biggest downside... Source. You can't help but notice that this game is running on one of the most out dated graphics engines still in modern production. Sure they upped some texture resolution and added a few more reflection effects, but it doesn't change the limited polygon count, and the slow loading times. Valve did great for the limitations of the technology, but longer draw distances would have made some scenes infinitely more epic in their scope. Technically I actually give this game a 8.5, strictly for the technical short comings, but for balance sake I will enter a 10. Expand
  11. Apr 19, 2011
    Don't listen to the haters, Portal 2 is masterful. The dlc is more of an avatar store, optional stuff people shouldn't be complaining about. Both full campaigns equal up to about 15 hours and they just beg to be replayed. This cake is not a lie
  12. Apr 19, 2011
    I love this game. The frame rate is crisp and the puzzles fun and imaginative. People detracting from this game are generally PC fanboys loosing another "exclusive" from their short list. The campaign lasts about 9 hours and the humor is top notch. The humor is not generally for children, and not because of vulgarity, but much like The Office, the humor is just above little one's heads. I love how the levels really feel to be actively changing as you move through them and the place feels alive. You never forget that you being toyed with. I honestly can recommend this game enough. Expand
  13. Apr 19, 2011
    Beautiful, puzzling, innovative, all in all just a perfect game that I'm sure I'll be playing for years to come. The PS3 copy came with a code for downloading a large file on the PC or Mac that is labeled portal 2 but all it does is crash. I wouldn't recommend bothering with the code.
  14. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is easily the equal of Portal 1, and a fantastic followup that adds much to the already established perfection. Not only is the humor easily as good as last time, the puzzle solving goes from okay, to Portal 1's equal, to amazing and beyond anything Portal ever did over the course of the 7 to 10 hour campaign.

Addressing some concerns that other reviews have said (don't listen
    to them, they are mad about an ARG and DLC that have nothing to do with the actual game), no, the game is not 3 hours long. No, there is no game-enhancing DLC to get upset about, the DLC, which is PC only in the first place, is purely aesthetic and no one who isn't interested has any reason to buy it. Finally, the ARG that took place before this game was release not only resulted in a midnight release on Steam (as opposed to the planned 7am release), it also got everyone who got all of the "potatoes" in the ARG Valve's *entire library of games for free*.

There is no reason to dislike this game, and many of the reviews are simply venting frustrations not at all related to the game's quality. It's better in every way than one than the original Portal, save one, originality. And let's face it, that magic has passed, we can't get that moment in time back, so we should enjoy an amazing game for what it is, the best possible sequel to Portal, and the best game of the year so far.
  15. Apr 19, 2011
    Valve has created a wonderful sequel to Portal. The enrichment center is alive. There are holes in the ceilings and walls that let the light filter through and plants grow through the cracks. The sounds of birds and crickets give it the feeling that nature has taken over. The graphical detail is much greater than the original Portal and I found myself wanting to explore as much as solve the puzzles. Everything about the game is an improvement over the first Portal. I highly recommend it to anyone who is tired of zombies and explosions. Portal 2 is a breath of fresh air. Expand
  16. Apr 19, 2011
    Okay this trolling is getting out of hand. I am going to both review the game and dispell all the lies.

#1 The game is NOT 4 hours long. It has been disproven by many gaming outlets; Rock Paper Shotgun, 1up, Kotaku, etc. On a speed run it takes about 7 hours to beat the SP.

#2. The DLC is ALL cosmetic. They do not charge for any added levels so this motion of you are missing game
    content because it costs money for a hat is ridiculous.

The game is amazing and one of the best and most creative games made. Fantastic voice acting, great story, mind boggling gameplay. Better than Portal 1 in every way and the best Valve game yet. Do yourself a favor and buy it!
  17. Apr 19, 2011
    please dont listen to the user score as of 4/19/11 i have no clue how they will be in the future but right now its all the trolls and the idiots thats dont know what a good game is or how to review a squeal. im giving it a 10/10 because it is a good sequel i am in no way saying its better then portal 1 because nothing ever is better then the original.the story line is not short its a perfect length the crazy antics are the same and it is a bit different then portal 1 and thats a good thing.get this game you will not be sorry. Expand
  18. May 30, 2011
    Portals genius is the way it takes a simple premise (get from A to B using portals) and turns it into one of the most mind boggling, original and downright addictive games you'll ever play. Even if you don't normally like puzzle games i'd urge you to at least try this as apart from being one of the best games of this generation it's also like no other game this generation.
    Is it perfect?
    No, but it's not far off. If you want to be picky then, yeah, it's a little bit short and lacks genuine replay value but does any of that really break the game in any way or stop it being one of the greatest puzzle games ever? Hell no! Expand
  19. Apr 19, 2011
    My opinion for this game is it is a very great sequel, being a predecessor to its original game, (Portal). They have added many new types of mechanics and nifty things such as Repulsion Gel, Thermal Discouragement Beams, and many more. The story in my opinion is nothing short of just amazing. The difficulty is not to hard, but at the same time not to easy. my only complaint is it is about 8 hours long, but I assure you it will be the greatest 8 hours of your life. The also added a new multilayer option that you can play local or online. I have tried it out with a friend and it is fun, and also a bit more challenging the the single player. Overall a great game and if you have the money I suggest buying it Expand
  20. Dec 18, 2013
    An improvement of a sequel if I ever saw one, Portal 2 outdoes its predecessor through new mechanics, more fascinating characters, and a deeper legacy to follow. Its intellectual and comedic genius has managed to break through the medium as something truly unlike anything else out there. Its pure dumb fun with all of the headache of a complex algebra problem. If this sounds like a bad thing, then you need to try it for yourself, because Portal 2 is well worth it. Expand
  21. Apr 24, 2011
    Valve have done it again! This game is Awesome, Pitty about the PSN being a bit rubbish, perhaps Sony should let valve take over the on-line side using their Steam systeml, GOTY in my opinion, Oh and ignore the trolls, if you want to experience a fine wine of a game get Portal 2
  22. Apr 19, 2011
    Ok this game it's all I've waiting for, and I'm sure truly fans will agree with me, and the co-op mode it's a nice and great bonus. Graphics are good, gameplay is as awesome as Portal was and I'm in love with the wonderful soundtrack, the VALVe team did a magnificent work there. Worth the buy nuff said.
  23. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is hands-down one of the best games I've ever played. The story is almost as much fun as the gameplay and all of the dialogue is genuinely funny. I've never played a game that made me audibly chuckle as often as this game does. I wanted to complete the puzzles so that I could hear the next bit of dialogue from all of the characters. Anybody that beat this game's single player campaign in 4 hours their first playthrough has to be some sort of supergenius speedfreak. It took me about 9 to finish, and I'm absolutely sure that time could be improved, but the game is so engaging, rich with detail, and fun to explore, I'd find myself reading many of the posters and pausing to make sure I didn't miss any dialogue. However, I still feel I spent at least 7 of those hours solving puzzles, so whether you care about the story and environs or not this game is still not as short as many people have noted. The puzzles are crafted so brilliantly by the creators that even though the solution may not be initially obvious, you always seem to find the solution, and they make you feel so smart for doing it. I really enjoyed the first Portal and the second installation took the best parts of the first and made them bigger, faster, and more exciting. What more could you ask for in a sequel?
    This is thus far my GOTY pick and if you play video games and value a good single player experience, it would be a shame not to play this game.
    I'm playing through the multiplayer now and have yet to finish it, but the puzzles are just as much fun as the single player campaign, but you absolutely must work together, so I don't recommend playing with someone you may fight with as things can get frustrating when you someone doesn't do their part or even just fires the wrong portal at the wrong time.
    All in all, I feel this game is at least a 95 out 100 for any gamer who likes to invest themselves in their games. It's a near perfect game to me if ever there was one.
  24. Apr 21, 2011
    In all of my years playing video games, and all the different types of games I've played, none of them ever made me want to keep playing more, more than Portal and Portal 2. A lot of people complain that Portal 2 is too short, but from my perspective, it adds more playback value. In my honest opinion, Portal 2 is but a pinch shy from a perfect game. Comparing my experiences with other masterpieces such as MGS4, Final Fantasy, and Legend of Zelda, Portal 2 gave me that urge to keep playing and make the most out of it. The only other game that also made me want to keep playing were (the earlier) Guitar Hero games and they didn't even have a storyline back then. So what does Portal 2 bring to the table? A great story, lovable and despicable characters, unique and addictive gameplay, high playback value, a cute almost childish simple sense of humor, and an awesome soundtrack. My only complaint is the fact that the final boss battle could have been a bit more difficult. I found some of the levels much harder than the final battle, and the fact that there are no more cake jokes. I'm not sure if you would call that a spoiler but I don't care. I love the game and I will be playing Portal 2 for a very, very long time. In three words, Portal 2 "was a triumph!" Expand
  25. Apr 21, 2011
    I loved this game. I'd rate it a 9 but for it to get to that average I must rate it as a 10. It took me 9 hours to complete single player and I still haven't gone through with developer's commentary, or finished co-op. It's definitely worth the money being that it comes with the PC and Mac version (a $50 value) free. I loved all of the black humor and the enveloping story. This is a sequel that I'm not at all disappointed with, being that I hardly expected one when playing through the first game. This is a great game that I'd whole-heartedly recommend to anyone, no matter if you're a gamer or not nor what genre of game you normally play, and, in my opinion, is a front runner for Game of the Year. That being said I'd have liked to see more of the testing elements combined in the tests and some more difficult tests for the hardcore gamers, that is my only negative comment. Expand
  26. Apr 21, 2011
    First off love the game never played the first but maybe I'll head back now. Anyways I notice how the pc version is one point higher which is not mine concern. What bothers me is that ps3 and xbox version are rated the same even though the ps3 gets a free pc copy and we can play with pc users. Either bring the rating for ps3 up or 360 down
  27. Apr 21, 2011
    This is the best game out there. So far the story is amazing and I don't want to spoil you with anything. Just enjoy your ride through the Aperture facilities and try to find your way out of this mess. Only 3 games could be better in the future: Episode Three, Mass Effect 3 and Half-Life 3 :D
  28. Apr 23, 2011
    Very fun game! A fan of the first game, Portal 2 has more of a story to it with the same challenging puzzles as the first. On chapter 7 and it's been a fun ride so far, can't stop playing the damn game!
  29. Apr 24, 2011
    £33 is not much for any PS3 game, never mind one of this calibre. I did finish the single player campaign in a fairly short amount of time but I must admit to having watched the walkthroughs online (mainly for the story, but I did remember quite a few of the bigger solutions). It's a great game, it's just a shame that amazon sent it 2 days late and PSN is acting up, but I will hopefully play through the Co-op on split screen later today. Great game, slightly short but doesn't need to be longer. Not ten as little replay value, blah blah blah. Expand
  30. Apr 24, 2011
    The self-righteous,entitled trolls around here are probably those who played the Valve "ARG" game and thought they'd win a house or something. Don't listen to them. This is honestly one of the best game I've ever played and I've been playing games since the Atari 2600. It's fun, It's clever, it reminded me that there are still people that *care* about making great games instead of **** them out from the game-o-tron factory.

I am not even exaggerating when I say I laughed more playing this game than I laughed playing all the other games I ever played put together. Yes, it is that good. In fact, this is more than a game. It's an experience. Personally I have a hard time finishing a game these days. I usually lose interest halfway because,well, because game-o-tron factory. This is the only game I ever restarted right after finishing it (with the developer's commentaries of course) because I wanted MORE. In fact ,I want all game developers making a game right now to stop whatever they're doing and play this game. Better yet, playing this game should be mandatory in every game-making courses (or whatever it's called right now). Long story short: VALVe has done it again but BETTER. This is a masterpiece plain and simple. Go play it NOW.
  31. Apr 24, 2011
    Please do not listen to any one who tells you this game is anything less that brilliant, you can easily forgive it for being short mainly due to the fact that is so fun you will find your self passing the single player more times than you feel comfortable with. The voice acting is top notch and it makes me hope to see Stephen Merchant reprising his role in any way possible, not only because he captured the character of wheatley brilliantly, but because his character is so lovable i couldn't imagine it any other way. The music is ear-gasmic, so much so it is the only game i would recommend buying the soundtrack. it offers more than any other sequel has ever done before by turning a 2 hour game in to a fully fledged 5 - 8 hour masterpiece with unforgettable characters and amazing gaming moments. you will find your self laughing more than being frustrated by the villains dead pan and hilarious comments. Expand
  32. Apr 24, 2011
    One of the best story lines and satisfying game play I have played in years. It deserves All the love it gets. It's even greater on ps3, better graphics and PC and ps3 gamers can play online together.
  33. Apr 24, 2011
    I don't even understand how people are rating this game 0. Lack of content? There are 2 games in this game. DLC? Its so optional its crazy. And has anybody looked at the prices? I'm pretty sure its like a dollar for the things people are rating this game 0 for. Furthermore, when you buy the ps3 edition, you get a free computer version. Also, the game is $49.99 on steam right now. People pay 59 for freaking black ops STILL. FINALLY. If you bought the potato sack, and beat the games and all that junk, you got a free copy of portal 2. How are these the actions of a company that cares only about money?! Expand
  34. Apr 25, 2011
    I found this game an excellent sequel. For me, it is the games writing that really sets it apart. The comedy and voice acting is brilliant and at times they manage to even scare you despite you knowing there are no actual enemies in the game (as it is all puzzle based). The player gets to explore and understand the history of Aperture laboratories and makes the relatively closed world of the first instalment a much bigger one.

On a puzzle based note, I did feel that the puzzles weren't as challenging as I thought they would be. I was expecting a much steeper difficulty curve, with only a couple of the puzzles posing any real difficulty (maybe I have been thinking with portals too long?). That said, there is no reason not to pick this title up if you are a fan of good puzzle games, a fan of the first one, or just very entertaining and clever writing. At the time of writing this, PSN has been down since its release so I am unable to comment on the cooperative mode, however, I have heard from fellow Steam users that it is just as good as the single player experience, if not with harder puzzles.
  35. May 15, 2011
    Well worth it to play, I understand the PC gamers' agonies over the game and feel sympathy for them. But still, this game is incredibly polished, has professional voice acting, and has one of best co-ops of any game! the story is engaging throughout due to humor provided by GlaDoS, Wheatley, and Cave Johnson. They pretty much run the whole story as you are only the background character. Why criticize? Expand
  36. May 28, 2011
    I thought this game was absolutely brilliant. My only qualm would be that, although the story is indeed good, it is slightly too repetitive. Co-op also feels like a completely additional story line. How ever I also think it could require a tab more creativity to solve the puzzles. Good length, good plot, great additions, Great game! Well worth the money.
  37. Aug 18, 2012
    This game is epic !!! Create a new kind of game ,who expired many people to think diferent , that a game is much more than just press buttons !!!puzzles + innovative gameplay+comedy+awesome story=Portal2
  38. Jun 14, 2011
    VALVE is on their game. Mostly just basically look forward to intense gameplay, beautiful graphics, great multiplayer, great story, and great everything else. Remarkable game.
  39. Apr 20, 2011
    A true masterpiece. There is nothing to add. It is brilliant, funny, full of ideas. The two-player mode is fantastic. The graphics have a unique style. A fantastic and unique game.
  40. Jul 29, 2011
    Let me start by saying this is a BIAS review... original Portal was EPIC. If you haven't played it yet then get your a** on steam ( or buy the Orange Box) and play it already. That said this is a ten fold improvement on all fronts... The characters are great, the pacing is perfect and the few difficulty spikes are followed by a sense of accomplishment that is better left for you to find out for yourself. PLEASE!!! PLEASE!!! do NOT get online and cheat your way through the puzzles by looking at a walk through. This game will be enjoyed so much more if you take you time and figure it out on your own. Final verdict... BUY IT NOW!!! Expand
  41. Apr 26, 2011
    10/10 = Masterpiece = Most well designed puzzle game of all time, and it's also the funniest game i've ever played. Truly a genius work of art.
  42. Apr 20, 2011
    The best console version, and almost on-par with the PC version. If you are going to get a version, it should be this one, it comes with free PC/Mac copy. (unique to the PS3 version).
  43. Apr 20, 2011
    The first thing I noticed about Portal 2 was how funny it is. Well, one of the first things, anyway. The script, together with excellent voice acting (from Stephen Merchant, the superb JK Simmons, and of course Ellen McLain returning as GLaDOS) provides moments of hilarity while moving along what is otherwise a fairly dark plot. You return as Chell, the mute women from the first game who killed GLaDOS, and are placed in a post-apocalyptic world after being drugged and unconscious for who knows how long. But none of that matters, because you are there to test Aperture Science's many inventions, including Aerial Faith Plates, Proplusion Gel, Excursion Funnels, and, of course, the Portal Gun. The new test areas seem familiar at first, as they resemble (in fact some are the same as) test rooms in the original game. Soon, however, you are placed into rooms with a huge area and new devices. What the game does really well is distinguish the feel of the different kinds of puzzles. When you are in a test chamber within rooms designed by GLaDOS, it feels like someone made sure there was a way out. However, when you go behind the scenes, you truly feel like you're improvising as you go, and there's not only one solution that someone intended you to find. There is, of course, but the difference in feeling is palpable. The campaign is short (I think I finished in 6-8 hours), but is deserving of at least two replays, and there are co-op levels as well, which add to length of the game. Interestingly, PS3, Mac, and PC owners can link up via their Steam account, which is a huge bonus. To top it all off, of course, is the story. In the original game, the story was told behind-the-scenes, relying on the player to figure it out, and that's changed this time around. Let me say that I loved the barely spoken plot in the original game, but Portal 2's story is incredible, and told without the use of cut scenes (for the most part). Rather, it is told through dialogue and other types of voice-over. I won't go into detail since the plot is part of the richness of discovery, and there's a lot to discover in Portal 2. You'll want to see it all. Expand
  44. May 31, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Portal 2 is an engrossing and clever masterpiece. Everything, from the first minute to the last, is extroaordinary. The hilarity of Wheatley's mischief, the shock of betrayal, the happiness of GLaDOS' change of heart...everything is sewn together perfectly. Expand
  45. May 19, 2011
    It's rare in our sequel filled world that anything equals the original, let alone surpasses it. Portal 2 accomplishes this without losing sight of what made the original great, an even rarer feat.

Portal 2 puts you back in the shoes of the original speechless protagonist from the first game. For those that didn't have the patched PC version that explained a bit more of the ending from
    the last one, you were recaptured at the end of the game, setting up the beginning of Portal 2.

You're greeted by a friendly AI core named Wheatley as the place is falling down around you. After making your escape from danger, you and Wheatley set out to find a way out of the facility. Much like GLaDOS from the first game, the game is absolutely made by the interaction between you and this character. The voicing of this character couldn't be more appropriate. The dialog at the ends of levels, as well as some of the little quips in between were on occasion laugh out loud funny. Of course, GLaDOS makes her appearance in this game as well, and is every bit as hilarious and sadistic as the previous game. The story is very intriguing, and you'll get to learn a lot of the background behind Aperture Science. For a game that in it's first incarnation started with no story at all, they've managed to wrap a great piece of fiction around the brilliant game mechanic that gave life to the series. Whoever is doing the writing for this series is worth every penny that Valve pays them. The gameplay differs very little from the first game until roughly half way through the game. The same two portal mechanic is still used to solve puzzles, but a curveball from a mechanic standpoint as well as a story standpoint gets thrown at the player with the introduction of gels. There are three different types of gel that it turns out Aperture was working on: a bounce gel, an acceleration gel, and a portal gel. The first two are pretty self explanatory. The third though, allows you to place a portal on any surface. This is a very interesting twist to the game mechanic, especially given how the gels are dispensed. I was worried in early previews when the gel was revealed that this would change the game drastically, and not for the better. However, I couldn't have been more wrong. The gel mechanics add another layer to the puzzles, but are never the absolute focal point of the puzzle. Every puzzle still maintains the portal mechanic as the primary means of getting the job done. I like to maintain my reviews as spoiler free, so I'll leave it to you to see what I'm talking about. Suffice to say, it's a welcome addition to the game.

The only criticism I can level at the game are the load times. This seems to be more distracting later in the game than earlier. (Trying to avoid spoilers here) You'll find that the game will stop suddenly and take significant amounts of time to load the next section. I'm not a programmer, nor do I play one on TV, but I would think at this point that programmers should be able to find an intelligent way to seamlessly load the next section of a game unbeknownst to the player.

This edition of the game introduces a co-operative experience with it's own stand alone story as well. I would strongly recommend finishing the single player version of the game before beginning the co-op. There's two reasons for this. First, completing all the puzzles in the single player mode will prepare you for the challenge of co-op. Co-op is a different beast entirely when it comes to difficulty. Though I only have about three hours in the co-op at this point, I would say that it is more difficult than single player. Secondly, the co-op contains a very minor spoiler for the single player game right out of the gate. It's not much, but if you like to be surprised as much as possible by story elements, you'll want to finish the single player first.

Pros:

* More of the same great puzzles
    * Voice acting is outstanding, and the story is both engaging and laugh out loud funny in some instances
    * Enough new mechanics added to keep the game from feeling stale, while keeping the focus on using portals to solve puzzles
    * Co-op mode extends the play time of the game and gives a completely new experience, complete with its own stand alone story

Cons:

*Load screens between sequences can take you out of the flow of the game

Score: 5 out of 5 stars - Must Own
  46. Apr 23, 2011
    Great sound and graphics. Difficult puzzles that are actually pretty fun to play + a decent story and coop. I believe the user score is too low here and as with all Valve games I wish they were longer, just like I wished all great movies were longer.
  47. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 isn't just about portals. As a matter of fact, initial development excluded portals altogether. That says a lot about the true heart of this game. It's an action-adventure game disguised as a puzzle game, and it's story-driven game. Chell's story, Glados' story, and ultimately Aperture's. Portals are just means to tell and advance that story. The action, beautifully-paced and driven by a dark and ominous soundtrack, invokes memories of Half-Life 2. The writing and voice acting are superb, with plenty of comic relief to put a smile on your face. While it's not the revolution HL2 was, it's as every bit a masterpiece in game design. Players looking for hardcore dexterity-based puzzles may be disappointed. Those of us who enjoy all aspects of gaming will cherish Portal 2 as an instant classic. Expand
  48. Apr 20, 2011
    This is a great game...single player and multilayer done great hours of fun for you and a friend. What can i say VALVe just puts another notch in their already heavy belt of great games. well well worth the 60 dollars the gestures you can make with the guests are great and the steam overlay on the system works beautifully. chats come up in the lower right corner just like on the PC and allow the game to run smoothly and unaffected. The people on here complaining about the graphics must be retarded source still looks great and we ALL know they are not going to release source 2 until half life 3 so the fact you got your hopes up just shows how dumb you really are. Expand
  49. Apr 20, 2011
    This is probably one of the best PS3 games out this year, and a free pc copy makes all that much better. The plot is good and the gameplay is excellent, the portal mechanics have been fine tuned to near perfection.
  50. Pep
    Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 was great. I absoluteley loved it, and enjoyed every piece of it. I would recommend this game to everyone I know, and think that spending 50 $ was worth all the money. (10.0)
  51. Apr 20, 2011
    My opinions on the game are that it is a beautifully crafted masterpiece that is worthy of it's 95 metacritic rating and that people can play and enjoy whilst also being mentally challenged to solve the puzzles provided. The witty Humour and constant one-liners from Glados, Cave Johnson and Wheatley make the game ever more fun and add hilarity into the Mix, Valve certainly know how to make you laugh.
    Overall for me this game gets a 10 and if you're strapped for cash i would go for it and it is cheaper than any other brand new game out there.
    AS well as this Everybody Talking about Day 1 DLC being bad and it's too short are wrong,. You don't need the DLC to play the game and enjoy it's just there if you want it, all it is is optional extras like hats and costumes. As well as this the Game it self lasts in the region of 12-15 hours for everything (or 17-20) if you listen to the developer commentaries as we
  52. Apr 20, 2011
    Valve has done it again , incredible game like aways. The 1st Portal was such a lovely surprise in the orange box , such a smart and innovative gameplay and Portal 2 just took this formula to another level. I really don't know how many smart people you must place together to figure out soo many ,soo different and soo smart puzzles. I think when game industry was invented many ears ago , the goal was just to entertain people , then games become something more , something bigger and games like War Craft , Star Craft , Half Life and Portal boost the evolution of gaming and made an example how to make FPS shooter and real time strategies. Expand
  53. Apr 20, 2011
    Simply ignore the users giving it a 0 rating, the game itself is wonderful and amazing. It has a great mix of humor, action and puzzles to solve. If people must complain about the price there were numerous sites offering it for as little as 34$ (some gave away gift cards worth up to 20$). It really is far from a disappointment, so what if there is a day 1 DLC that offers new looks for your robots..isn't that the same reason a lot of people gave up on TF2 anyways? They aren't forcing anything on you, remember this. The Co-Op has been obviously one of their most cherished pieces of the game, thus majority of the trailers and videos for the game showing the new Co-Op characters and gameplay. It's a whole new game inside of a game. Don't forget they also made the game cross platform, so you can play with people on either PS3 or even the PC! (Plus the PS3 comes with a free copy of the PC version for steam, so why not?!) Expand
  54. Ru3
    Apr 20, 2011
    I only played portal 1 briefly, so for all intents and purposes I am a newcomer to Portal in Portal 2. But I have to say, I was riveted. Yes, I finished the entire campaign in 2 days, but that was playing for about... 5 hours each day, give or take. I took it slow. I enjoyed the dialogue, the interesting backstory and the hilarity of the voice actors.
    I wasn't even aware there was DLC. And
    to that end- who cares? If you don't like DLC, DONT DOWNLOAD IT. It's cosmetic. Seriously. I don't know what people are getting so worked up about; if people don't like the fact that the DLC costs so much, then DONT BUY IT. Sheesh.
    The graphics use a dated engine, fair enough. But it's not meant to look insane with visuals. The concept is what is being promoted. The game did exactly what it was meant to do- play with physics to solve the puzzles, and make it longer than portal 1. Which it did (apparently, since Portal 1 was short as hell).

And if people didn't like the concept of shooting portals to solve puzzles, maybe they shouldn't have bought a freaking puzzle game! I am not a fanboy. I appreciate a job well done when I see it. Yes, it lasted 2 days for me, but they were two days well spent. And I'm not buying DLC- why? BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO- and that DOESNT affect what I feel about the game itself.
  55. Apr 22, 2011
    I think this is the best game what I played! I can´t understand the negative user score. The single player is short but perfectly written. The new game play elements are amazing!!!!
    Thank you Valve!!!
  56. Apr 20, 2011
    A sequel greater than its predecessor. Great visuals. Great dialogue. Great gameplay. Online co-op is addicting.

It's totally worth your money to go pick this game up today. Pick up the PS3 version and get the PC version through Steam for free. Steam and PSN integration is hopefully something we see more PlayStation games go to.
  57. Apr 21, 2011
    Another absolute triumph in almost every aspect by Valve, with a truly engrossing story and atmosphere that carves an extraordinary cinematic experience for the player, still fitting neatly into the cosmology of Half Life. The game introduces a multitude of new game play elements and mechanics to harness alongside most concepts of the first game. players will see the return of the benevolent and comical GLaDOS amongst an array of new and wonderfully voiced characters. Content is also provided in a healthy sum as once the single player campaign is completed, players can move on to the equally as lengthy and outstanding cooperative campaign. Portal 2 Vehemently pulls itself ahead of the crowd and will please newcomers to the franchise along with fans of the Brilliant and innovative first game a like, it is an exceptional game to say the least and will provide endless hours of fun. Expand
  58. Apr 21, 2011
    1. If you beat the game in four hours, you should be proud of yourself. Not everyone can beat it as fast as you. Plus there are the co-op missions, which will add at least four more hours for someone with your skill.
    2. You're not being forced to pay for cosmetic DLC so why complain? Every dollar you choose to spend helps the developers.
    3. I think the PC should be able to see through
    multiple portals.
    4. I will agree that ARG was a disappointment, but that's more of a marketing scheme than gameplay value.
  59. Apr 21, 2011
    A wonderful game that does the original justice while adding wonderful new elements. Do not listen to the trolls, this game isn't 5 hours long or crappy. Not even close to a waste of money.
  60. Apr 21, 2011
    Fantastic game with at least 15 hours of play time. Anyone who says otherwise is lying. Better than the first, totally worth the price. The cross platform play is also exceptional. Well done Valve.
  61. Apr 23, 2011
    It is awesome! Go away haters! Portal 2 is a must buy and does everything right! Best game out this year so far! The game doesn't deserve 0's and 1's. It deserves 9's and 10's!
  62. Apr 25, 2011
    If you've ever enjoyed a Valve game, then you already know how good Portal 2 is. Every moment is a delight. And just to be clear, the single player campaign is longer than the Portal one by a good few hours, and that's not even considering the co-op. Cheap at twice the price, in my opinion.

On the other hand, if your sole criteria for what makes a good game is how long it takes you to
    complete it, then you need to reassess your priorities. I'd rather have half a dozen hours of perfection than 80 hours of thinly spread repetitive grind. If you actually managed to come away from Portal 2 feeling disappointed, then you have bigger problems than having just 'wasted' your money on a video game. Expand
  63. Apr 25, 2011
    Portal 2 is a fantastic game. Those who are complaining about the short length (it's about 7-8 hours without rushing) are neglecting to mention that those 7-8 hours are pure excitement. There is never a dull moment. No item finding, no leveling up, no fetch-quests. Without all the fluff common in other games, it leaves an incredibly well-written narrative coupled with mind-bending puzzles and jaw dropping set-pieces. Could it have been longer? Sure. But what you get is a fully satisfying experience, and it'll be easy to go back and play it multiple times. This one will be hard to beat for GotY. Expand
  64. Apr 27, 2011
    Portal 2 is excellent all the way through. The puzzles are great, and are presented along a well executed curve of difficulty. The voice acting and humor are both top notch. I would absolutely recommend trying this game out, especially if you have played through the first Portal and are a fan. And for those who are giving it 0's to even out the score to what you think it should be, an average is supposed to be an average of everyone's opinion, not what you think it should be. Don't ruin the site for everyone. Expand
  65. Apr 28, 2011
    never played the first so dont know about the sandbox style of the first..and when my misses bought me this game i was not looking forward to playing it(i like to shoot things) but it blew me away and i got addicted!! now if only the psn was working so i can co-op online
  66. May 29, 2011
    The original Portal quickly became a sensation in the gaming industry, so how do you follow it up, like this. Portal 2 does practically every thing right, it's laugh out loud funny, has brilliant puzzle design, and has a deep, rich back story about Apeture you will get to learn. The normal campaign will probably clock in from 5 to 7 hours on your first play through a the co-op will take about as long. that's around 10 to 14 hours considering you don't play through it again. And that's not what you do in Portal, you replay it countless times because it an excellent game. Overall, is Portal 2 better than the original? Well in terms of game play, to me it makes the original look like a tech demo because of all these creative new elements in the game. In terms of humor, music, and design it's also better. But in terms of which game changed the industry and will be most likely be remembered more, Portal 1 will always win. Expand
  67. May 29, 2011
    This is an improvement in every way, shape or form to the first game. Don't pay attention to the disgruntled PC gaming fans - they're mostly pissed off that this gem isn't 'theirs' anymore, and therefore are looking for every straw man they can to diss the game. Fact is, the single player campaign is at least three times as long as the previous one; it features a couple of plot twists which will make you scratch your head and keep playing just to see what's going on; and new gameplay devices are introduced smoothly and expertly, never overwhelming the player. It's also interesting to see how Valve handled co-op mode: it's a whole new campaign by itself, and it features an indicator system that may not be as effective as using an actual headset, but it's surprisingly functional all the same. All in all, there's nothing wrong to be found here... Unless you're so spoiled about game length to the point that 16 hours devoted to high quality gaming isn't as good as 40 hours managing inventory just so you can endure another 40 hours of medieval fantasy cliches. Then, and only then, Portal 2 isn't the game for you. Expand
  68. May 30, 2011
    Valve has yet again put together an absolutely fantastic game and sequel to their previous hit, Portal. In this one, the campaign is much longer, more diverse, more challenging and funnier. It goes by quite fast, but it's because you're having so much fun. The voice actors are superb and the puzzles are even better than last time. The intuitive additions to the franchise all add something that helps the gameplay and enhances the possibilities. The soundtrack is also extremely well-done and original and will be something you'll want to revisit. To aid in replay value, Valve have added a phenomenal co-op section of the game where two people can work together. These puzzles are harder and more challenging than you ever thought or saw in single player. However, even with co-op and promised DLC, the game does suffer from a lack of replay value. There are added commentary tracks in each level (but not near enough) and little surprises to add icing to the cake (which is a lie) but in the end you can only play the game so much before you have everything memorized and it's no longer enjoyable. Hopefully the promised DLC as well as potential future DLC will fix this issue, as it's a fantastic game. Expand
  69. Jul 27, 2011
    Easily one of the best games ever made . Don't make yourself the ignorance of not playing this all time masterpiece Awesome character design spectacular writing and amazing overall gameplay experience I didn't regret buying . Perfect in all ways!
  70. Jun 28, 2011
    I did not even play the first portal, and yet i am so convinced Valve have created a monster franchise out of this game. It was funny, witty, and truly cynical in it's humor. Thanks for the great game Valve. A plus for Playstation 3 owners, you get a free version of Portal 2 for Steam on PC, definitely sold me the copy I bought. But honestly, I did not even play the PC version. What I did like though, was to be able to play my Steam friends through the PSN while they were on Steam!!!! That was such a great idea. Expand
  71. Jul 5, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The perfect combination of puzzles and fps gaming, plus a wonderful co-op. The only problem is that the source shows its age but this amazing music make you forgive. Expand
  72. Jul 16, 2011
    One of the best games I've ever played in my life, simply put. When i got done with Portal I was amazed at the quality of the game, (although being a side game) only to be even more impresses with Portal 2, it deserves game of the year and it'll get it! P.S.- It's a short game, so if you're looking to conserve money, rent it, beat it, and return it.
  73. Jul 18, 2011
    Playing this game was an excellent use of my time. The story was encapsulating, the puzzles were with lack of a better word, puzzling and the physics of the portals were mind boggling. Steven Merchant made an excellent cast member, he made the Wheatley character incredibly entertaining and funny. Best game of the year so far. Anybody who gives a bad review is either not a fan of puzzle games or is stuck at a certain puzzle and has gotten frustrated. Expand
  74. Jul 30, 2011
    The sequal to a award-winning puzzle game, Portal 2 has a lot of expectations. Thankfully, it lives up to those. The game looks sharp, and the early levels had my jaw open most of the time. All 3 main characters are voiced amazingly, and the dialouge is nothing short of hilarious. The gameplay is as sharp as ever, and the new puzzle obstacles are unique, and none of them feel tacked on. The twists and turns in the plot can become absolutely ridicoulous (In a good way). Don't listen to the idiots complaining about the length of the game. The main campaign takes anywhere from 6-8 hours, depending on how smart you are, and is still a blast the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th times through. That would have been enough in my book, but the game goes even further and gives you a second, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT campaign just for co-op. That can take about 4 hours, and supports local and online co-op. This is a great game and easily takes the crown for my favorite puzzle games, and one of my favorite games in general. Expand
  75. Aug 3, 2011
    A truely wonderful game. Quite unique in today's Market. This is not a game I would normally go for but the sheer lack of decent games out until the winter this year forced my hand.... And I'm so glad as it's one of the most enjoyable games I have ever played.it's fun and it gets you thinking without being irritating. You feel like a genius when you finish some of the tests (when, in fact, you don't have to be!) . Ignore those who go on about value for money - it took me a week to finish the single player, playing about 2 hrs a night and I'm sure co-op offers even more. And I bought it for £25. The script is fun and considering there are only 3 characters in single player mode it really draws you in. If you fancy something a bit different, get this. Expand
  76. Sep 25, 2011
    A game with puzzles that are enjoyable by adults is a rare treat. The new coop mode is especially welcome, and lives up to my expectations. This is really misclassified as a "first person shooter", and belongs rather in a lonely "mature puzzlers" category.
  77. Dec 24, 2011
    Portal 2 is fantastic. Everything about it is PERFECT. It's an amazing follow up to Portal 1. The voice acting is some of the best you'll ever find these days, the plot is phenomenal, and the puzzles are well thought out and just the right difficulty. Hell, even the co-op, which I was skeptical of at first, was downright brilliant and provides a whole new experience and perspective on how to play the game. If you don't buy this game, you're doing yourself an injustice. Expand
  78. Nov 14, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed. All legends of the current-gen gaming world. If I said name a PS3 or Xbox game, i'm sure one of those three would be mentioned. Portal 2 is a work of art, a small piece that has had every ounce of effort pumped into it. The writing, the characters, the art, the design, the innovation, really blows you away. I've played this game around 8 times now and this is the first time i've decided to review it. You can't rate art, but simply be shocked that other people don't think of it as fondly as you do. Portal 2 is one of those things you should experience before you move to next-gen, because there won't be such a masterpiece for a long time. Expand
  79. Apr 30, 2011
    For me best game of the year up to now. Im not one of those people that give a 10 if they like a game and a 0 if they dont , that is why the user score is not that good , but im giving it a 10 because i think it deserves it. The writing was EXCELLENT being one of the most funny games i have ever played , the music was OMG if your in to that type and the puzzles where not to difficult but well enough made to make you use your brain , which is fine with me . The major complaints about this game is about its day 1 dlc and its length. First of all you should not rate a game by its dlc but what comes in the package. What if the best game in the world for you comes out and the next day dlc comes out for it ? Whould your opinion about the game change in any way ? The correct answer is NO so stop reading reviews from people that gave the game a 2 because it dint have some hats ( wtf ? ) in it for free . Now about the time that it takes you to complete this game i can understand people complaining especially if they rarely buy a game . Thow this game is not short by any means ( about 12-18 hours with coop ) for a game at this age , its probably not enough for some people . If a game has just got single player it should last 60 hours or if it has multiplayer it should last someone a whole year . For me i believe that that VALVe has chosen quality over quantity ( as i said thow its not that short as people keep saying ) so i dont think i should reduct points from it. Before i finish i want to say that this is the ps3 version so you also get steam on your console which gives you steam achievements cross platform coop with the pc and mac steam cloud which allows you to save your ps3 progress and continue on your pc . Oh dint i mention ? if you puy the game for the ps3 you also get a code to download it for free on steam . FOR FREE PEOPLE so its not a complete waste of money is it ? VALVe i Expand
  80. Jun 19, 2012
    Some say this game is way too short compared to the price. I would say it too 99% of the time, but not in this one. Quality over quantity.

To be honest, I've never been big fan of puzzle games. I usually miss something and I don't like being stuck in a single problem for more than few minutes. I would have given up in playing this game due to that, but the game still made me want to
    continue to play the game. Why? It was so brilliant. That's why.

The puzzles are interesting, clever and funny. While the enviroment isin't really interesting and I couldn't even hear the music except for the ending, the game just keeps being enough interesting to keep going.
    The game also keeps adding things, making the puzzles feel fresh during the entire singleplayer.

Every time a puzzle is made, you'll be rewarded with very well done monologue (And sometimes dialogue), which can make you laugh. While GLaDOS does feel a bit worse than before, the dialogue/monologue is still fantastic, proving that Valve does have quality writers (Once again!).

What about the lenght? It took 5 hours to complete the game, but the puzzles and the dialogue/monologue were absolutely worth it. The game is constantly fun to play and the co-op adds even more lenght for those, who still want to solve puzzles.

Even, if you're not fan of puzzle games, I recommend you to try this. I'm not fan of puzzle games either, yet the game was very entertaining.
  81. Dec 29, 2011
    i loved the first portal and that says alot mainly because im not big into puzzle solving games but i had alot of fun with it when i picked up the orange box years ago. when portal 2 came out i heard many people complain it was to short to justify its $60 price tag and after being burned by valve on left for dead i waited to pick it up new for $24.99. which after playing through it any thing under $30 for this game is just about right . it is to short to justify a $60 price tag and even though it has co-op which is kinda neat this game doesnt really need it thats not to say it was tacked on in any sense. its pretty solid its just that i didnt feel a huge disire to play it . what this game should have had and would have justified a $60 price tag at its release would have been creat your own maps and share them with people like Little big planet. now that would have been awsome and ive heard they are working on that but its not due out till mid 2012 aover a year since the game came out... too long of a wait for some thing like that i think. moving on to the single player... its great the script and humor is fantastic and even better then the first for sure . many new additions to how you can solve puzzles . they are just hard enough to where you will have to some times sit for a few minuites and think on the real hard ones but never frustrating to where you wana just give up i felt which is just perfect. the game took me about 6-7 hours to complete so yes it isnt very long . though if you enjoy puzzle games or liked the first Portal it is worth picking up and by now you can get it cheap. Expand
  82. Sep 6, 2011
    Portal 2
    Portal Still Alive stunned gamers in 2007 with its interesting puzzles and intriguing concept. Now Portal is back, but everything has changed. No longer is the protagonist (Chell) confined to the sterile white environments of the test chambers in the first game. Now Chell finds herself in a larger adventure with a new enemy. This said the question remainsâ
  83. Jun 23, 2011
    Best Game Summer 2011! This is the game Portal again with a fleshed out Story, New Mechanics, and Incredible Online Functions. Without telling you every spoiler, if you read other reviews and feel concerned with this games length, here is the truth. The Single Player mode is 3x as long as Portal 1. Then add on the Co-Op, that's where all the meat is. This game is worth your buy (especially if you enjoy other Valve games)! Expand
  84. Apr 21, 2011
    The only criticism of Portal 2 is if you haven't played it. The only negative reviews of Portal come from the inevitable tall poppy syndrome accompanying a critically revered title, or from people that simply haven't played it. Portal defies all expectations following the first game, even the unrealistic ones. The levels are exciting, one of video games most memorable characters, GLaDOS, makes a return in unprecedented style and wait for it, the game has co-op. Right now this sounds like the most biased review imaginable designed to flog product, all I can say is that with no stake in this game, I'd happily volunteer to stand around selling copies, it is that good. Why you may ask, well, that is a fair question, there are plenty of excuses one could come up with, but none of them are quite fitting. The game is an experience, a revelatory statement that will convert you if you let it. GLaDOS invites you in, know you may never get out. Expand
  85. Mar 1, 2012
    THIS is how great gameplay, controls and story should flow. Valve has once again created a masterpiece of modern gaming. From the moment i woke up in a room and told to look around to the ending song i was just sitting there going "What could they do next?" and they threw more mind bending puzzles and voice acting that still stick with me to this day. When it comes to visuals, it's just that right blend of polished but rustic look that makes every detail seem believable. The controls simple, you shot one thing and the other thing you shoot with have the portals connect, but its that simplicity that will make you wondering just how the creators were able to think up such mind numbing rooms and puzzles that are hard, but not so hard that it will have you rage quitting. When you complete a difficult room, you have a sense of accomplishment that many games just can't match. Above all it's the voice acting that truly sells this game. Your character doesn't talk, but its the 3 other characters that will have you listening to every word they say from the beginning. Some lines are haunting, but most have this charm that will make you laugh or smile because they talk about your doom, they still feel like old friends you don't want to leave. The single player is masterfully done, but in the co-op they find yet another perfect blend of fun and challenge. You and one other can complete more portal challenges that hold their own sense of accomplishment to them. I think Portal 2 is an all around perfect game, it has lasting appeal and great characters plus co-op that will have you coming back for more. Expand
  86. May 9, 2011
    Is Portal 2 the best game ever created? No probably not but is is damn close. I cannot believe the people on here giving it less than 9?! IT IS RIDICULOUS!!! Some of these people need to learn how to see a great game how can they say it's bad? I cannot find any reason why so I suppose I'll have to live with it. GLaDOS is so funny and Wheatly is a great character. It was a shame what happened to him. Expand
  87. Apr 30, 2011
    This game is absolutely amazing. The campaign was fun, its a great puzzle game. Has some brain teasers, and a really great story mode with a fantastic ending, and some fun co-op. I enjoyed the co-op. It has some brain teasers, and was executed very well, you must use teamwork. Its not a co-op styles game where one persons can do all the work. You and your buddy need to work together, really fun and very well executed. This game is truly awesome 10/10. Expand
  88. Apr 21, 2011
    By far the best game of 2011 so far and for sure a game of the year contender! This game is way better than the original, it just feels bigger and it is funnier, longer and plays better than the original! A MUST BUY.
  89. Mar 23, 2013
    It's not too short. It's short, but not too short. The people finishing this quickly simply are great at puzzle games. I don't think most people are so you will get your time out of it. I did.
  90. Jun 1, 2011
    I can honestly say that this game is one of the best games I've *ever* played, if not the best. I've already played through the single player 3 times, and pretty much done all of the co-op. Everything about it is so good, from the story, the humour, the game play, the test chambers, characterisation, and the detail in the graphics. And I didn't find one glitch anywhere. It is so well crafted, and really is at the peak of not only what Valve can do, but where gaming has arrived in general. I just cannot recommend this game enough. You'll have so much fun listening to the voice-overs, and you'll feel super-smart solving the puzzles. I really have gone as far as I can with this game, and I'm still hungry for more, so I just can't wait for Valve to release some DLC, that I believe they're going to sometime in June. I really don't understand why some people are giving this a low score, because honestly I feel this is a masterpiece, where the sum of the parts delivers something so much greater. Don't hesitate in getting this - it's truly amazing. Expand
  91. Sep 8, 2011
    I never played Portal 1, but I had seen the trailers for this game, and it looked pretty cool. A few weeks later, it was on sale for $40 (new) for the weekend at the local game store, so I took advantage of the opportunity and bought it. After just recently beating it (I'm a very slow gamer), I can safely say that it was worth the money. The puzzles are fun and, while plenty of them are fairly straight-forward, there are a good number that had me stumped for minutes at a time. The game has taken some heat for being too short, and while I agree that the single-player campaign could be longer, I enjoyed it from start to finish. The graphics, while not particularly mind-blowing and occasionally bland, are adequate. The inventive use of physics is entertaining, the dialogue is witty, and the co-op mode, while lacking some of the customization options of the PC/Mac version, is great fun with a friend. I highly recommend it. Expand
  92. Apr 22, 2011
    I'd like to give Portal 2 a 10, honestly I would, but as many have mentioned, it lacks a bit of the freshness of Portal. I was hoping for new mechanics, not just new ways to use existing mechanics. That being said, Portal 2 is an amazing game, filled with great puzzles, witty voice acting, and what is probably the best co-op play since SMB on the NES. The advent of Steam of the PS3 is a nice touch, and I'm personally excited to see where it goes from here. Expand
  93. Apr 22, 2011
    Unlike most of the people on this site giving this game bad reviews, I have actually beaten both single player and co-op, so I have a right to be reviewing the game. First off I would like to say this is NOT a short game, which seems to be the only thing that most people are complaining about. It took me about 14 hours to play through both single player and co-op (including the hour me and my friend took to play tag in coop). This will obviously differ depending on how good you are at puzzles, but I have a 133 IQ, so unless you are Einstein or looked at a walkthrough for every puzzle before playing them, it shouldn't take less than ten hours minimum. Also, this is the funniest game i have played since, well, portal 1. In fact this is much funnier than portal 1, and i found myself laughing out loud almost every test chamber. The voice acting is sensational, with great writing and actors who were obviously into their roles. At some points I found myself standing still for five minutes just to listen to what the characters have to say (I waited at the turret production line part for ten minutes just to hear every one liner they say, every one making me laugh) . The story even has a few twists that you will not see coming,and an ending that will make you want to jump up and down at its sheer awesomeness. Obviously the game play isn't for everyone, but if you don't like puzzle games then you shouldn't be playing it anyway. If you do like puzzles, you are unlikely to find a game with more fun, challenging, and creative puzzles than portal 2. The only downside is that, as a puzzle game, there is not much re-playability other than revisiting the story. Fortunately valve has announced that they are going to support it with mod tools on PC and there is likely to be DLC, so we should have a decent amount of new content coming. In conclusion, Portal 2 is a fun, challenging, rewarding puzzle game with an awesome story. If you liked the first Portal,you will love Portal 2. Even if you dont like puzzles it is worth going through just to listen to the characters speak. It obviously doesn't have as much lasting appeal, but the price tag is worth the amount of enjoyment you will get from your first play through. Buy it, and you will love it. The only reason people are complaining about it being too short is that it is so good you don't want it to end. Expand
  94. May 21, 2011
    Another winner from Valve yet again. Great single player which I think surpasses the first game as you don't feel limited with just doing test chambers all the time. The voice acting is where Portal 2 shines, you just can't not laugh at the quirks and comments from Glados (Ellen Mclain), Wheatly (Stephen Merchant) and my favourite Cave Johnson (JK Simmons). The cooperative play is very fun to play and adds the length to game. Not much replayablility but aside from that it is a rock solid game. Expand
  95. May 12, 2011
    Such an amazing, awesome game. The ideas are excellent, challenging but not too difficult. Really fun. I do think the price is way too much for today's market, considering how great iphone games are now for .99. Should be about $25. $60 is insane.
  96. May 10, 2011
    Who doesn't love a little strategy? Vavle's new Portal 2 absorbs you right from the start with GLaDOS verbally cutting you down between testing and predicting your immanent demise. This is an instant classic. The levels progress in difficulty as you work your way through the challenges with Wheatly, your nut-case guide, at your side to support you at the beggining. I recommend this FPS/Strategy game to anyone looking to kill time with a smile on their face. Expand
  97. Jun 20, 2011
    Valve is one of my favorite developers, not just because of their games, but because of their care for their fans. They truly listen, and to top it off, support indie developers with promotional deals like the potato sack. Valve is one rarely to disappoint, and I am glad to say this is their best creation since Half-Life 2. The graphics, though running on the same engine as the original Portal, look incredible with their changing environments. The sound, music and especially voice acting are golden. This is some of the best dialogue and voice acting I have EVER heard in a game, Stephen Merchant especially shines as Wheatley. The story is simple, but memorable, and the environment itself tells the history of Aperture Laboratory. The single player lasted a good 7 or 8 hours, and the co-op mode, which is entirely different from the single player, will tack on another good 4 or 5. The puzzles are fantastic! They are challenging, but never once was I frustrated to the point I got bored or wanted to do something else. All in all, Portal 2 is now at the top of my favorite games ever, and is my new number one from Valve. Expand
  98. Aug 21, 2011
    Like with the first Portal, this series or franchise is meant to be played by "intelligent' people . Its a puzzle game combined with shooter characteristics, though few people don't tolerate that. But forget what this dumb head says, Portal 2 is game that you need to play by his originality, complex design, humorous scenes and top notch gameplay. Valve is sometimes getting negative views because of their late products, but with no doubts they are probably one of the best companies out there. So if you see Portal 2 or if you have plans to buy it ( or like the puzzle genre) just do it, of course is somewhat short. Expand
  99. Apr 25, 2011
    Fantastic writing, and the puzzles are deeper and more diverse than in the original game. The visual style is also very reminiscent of the first game, but much more developed and there are environments to see beyond austere test chambers (or the ruins thereof). There isn't a lot of flash to the visuals, but between the art design and great use of lighting, the game is still very nice to look at. Fun and entertaining from beginning to end, worth replaying multiple times, and the co-op is very well done.

The game is about 7-9 hours long in single player, and maybe 4-5 in multiplayer. Some people think that's not enough content for $60 and ding the game for it, but that's kind of silly; rent the game or wait for the price to drop.

Despite Gabe's former stance on the PS3 and how badly The Orange Box was ported onto the machine, the PS3 version of Portal 2 is actually slightly better looking than the 360 version (according to Digital Foundry) and runs at a rock-solid framerate. It also comes with a voucher for the PC/Mac version of the game and supports Steam features, including cross-platform online play between PC/PS3 players. The PC version is still the best version overall, but between the consoles, the PS3 version is the way to go.
  100. Apr 22, 2011
    Great game. Finished single player game in two days because it was so addicting. Great humor and story. Great puzzles. I just wish it didn't have to end so soon.
  101. Apr 19, 2011
    Completed the single player last night and I feel as if I've lost a friend.
    But maybe that in itself could be part of the fun...

1. Dec 12, 2011
    Portal 2 continues the original's model, both in terms of gameplay and humor, and reviewing it poses just as many challenges. So let's just get this out of the way right now: Portal 2 is videogame nirvana for the thinking man.
    Portal 2 is an instant classic, a driver of innovation and originality, where everything is far from settled by the law of the bullet, but within the limits of physics.
  3. That Valve has been able to imbue so much depth to what is, at its heart, a sophisticated puzzle game proves once again it's not the genre that counts. It's the talent. Combine it with a superb physics-based game mechanic and you've got an experience that defies easy categorisation and can be recommended without reservation. [June 2011 p.67]