Portal 2 PlayStation 3

8.4

1. Jun 15, 2011
    Portal 2 marries the wonderfully mind bending game mechanics and love to hate character of GLaDOS from the first Portal, and give them the narrative and fully realized world they deserve. While the single player campaign runs a little on the short side (between 6-10 hours depending on the player), its genuinely engaging enough to warrant multiple playthroughs. The Co-op levels are thePortal 2 marries the wonderfully mind bending game mechanics and love to hate character of GLaDOS from the first Portal, and give them the narrative and fully realized world they deserve. While the single player campaign runs a little on the short side (between 6-10 hours depending on the player), its genuinely engaging enough to warrant multiple playthroughs. The Co-op levels are the extra mile, with puzzles more brain bending than any of the ones found in the single player campaign, you'll be spending almost as much time working these out with a friend as you did in the single player campaign. If you like puzzles, and enjoy a fun narrative with legitimately enjoyable characters, play this game. Expand
  2. Aug 3, 2011
    A truely wonderful game. Quite unique in today's Market. This is not a game I would normally go for but the sheer lack of decent games out until the winter this year forced my hand.... And I'm so glad as it's one of the most enjoyable games I have ever played.it's fun and it gets you thinking without being irritating. You feel like a genius when you finish some of the tests (when, in fact,A truely wonderful game. Quite unique in today's Market. This is not a game I would normally go for but the sheer lack of decent games out until the winter this year forced my hand.... And I'm so glad as it's one of the most enjoyable games I have ever played.it's fun and it gets you thinking without being irritating. You feel like a genius when you finish some of the tests (when, in fact, you don't have to be!) . Ignore those who go on about value for money - it took me a week to finish the single player, playing about 2 hrs a night and I'm sure co-op offers even more. And I bought it for £25. The script is fun and considering there are only 3 characters in single player mode it really draws you in. If you fancy something a bit different, get this. Expand
  3. Sep 15, 2011
    Fantastic game and a relief from all the generic FPS games out today. Well designed, funny and very clever execution. I loved the first Portal game and this takes the idea and converts it into a stand-alone A class title. Just the right length, certainly didn't feel robbed, and replay value from Co-Op mode. Excellent.
  4. Feb 27, 2012
    This has to be my favourite game of 2011! Even if, like me, you hate puzzle games, you'll still love this game. The gaming market has pretty much been reduced to FPS and racing games, but this thing is great if you fancy a change from the usual conventions of your average game. Some have argued there isn't enough gameplay but I thought the storyline was witty and brilliantly written; theThis has to be my favourite game of 2011! Even if, like me, you hate puzzle games, you'll still love this game. The gaming market has pretty much been reduced to FPS and racing games, but this thing is great if you fancy a change from the usual conventions of your average game. Some have argued there isn't enough gameplay but I thought the storyline was witty and brilliantly written; the ending is exactly when it should be! The voice acting is certainly amongst the best you get. As a game, the controls are exactly what you would expect and pretty easy to get to grips with. Portal 2 is genius. Full stop. Expand
  5. May 10, 2011
    Who doesn't love a little strategy? Vavle's new Portal 2 absorbs you right from the start with GLaDOS verbally cutting you down between testing and predicting your immanent demise. This is an instant classic. The levels progress in difficulty as you work your way through the challenges with Wheatly, your nut-case guide, at your side to support you at the beggining. I recommend thisWho doesn't love a little strategy? Vavle's new Portal 2 absorbs you right from the start with GLaDOS verbally cutting you down between testing and predicting your immanent demise. This is an instant classic. The levels progress in difficulty as you work your way through the challenges with Wheatly, your nut-case guide, at your side to support you at the beggining. I recommend this FPS/Strategy game to anyone looking to kill time with a smile on their face. Expand
  6. Apr 24, 2011
    Valve have done it again! This game is Awesome, Pitty about the PSN being a bit rubbish, perhaps Sony should let valve take over the on-line side using their Steam systeml, GOTY in my opinion, Oh and ignore the trolls, if you want to experience a fine wine of a game get Portal 2
  7. Apr 19, 2011
    My opinion for this game is it is a very great sequel, being a predecessor to its original game, (Portal). They have added many new types of mechanics and nifty things such as Repulsion Gel, Thermal Discouragement Beams, and many more. The story in my opinion is nothing short of just amazing. The difficulty is not to hard, but at the same time not to easy. my only complaint is it is aboutMy opinion for this game is it is a very great sequel, being a predecessor to its original game, (Portal). They have added many new types of mechanics and nifty things such as Repulsion Gel, Thermal Discouragement Beams, and many more. The story in my opinion is nothing short of just amazing. The difficulty is not to hard, but at the same time not to easy. my only complaint is it is about 8 hours long, but I assure you it will be the greatest 8 hours of your life. The also added a new multilayer option that you can play local or online. I have tried it out with a friend and it is fun, and also a bit more challenging the the single player. Overall a great game and if you have the money I suggest buying it Expand
  8. Apr 20, 2011
    Since all you fanboys, and anti-fanboys, can't use a number other than 10, or 0, I'll be the voice of reason. I just finished the single player campaign and have no qualms with offering an 8/10 for this title overall. ~$60 does seem a bit pricey for what amounts to 6-7 hours spc time, but with the hours of enjoyment dropping someone else into an acid bath as an added bonus I'd consider itSince all you fanboys, and anti-fanboys, can't use a number other than 10, or 0, I'll be the voice of reason. I just finished the single player campaign and have no qualms with offering an 8/10 for this title overall. ~$60 does seem a bit pricey for what amounts to 6-7 hours spc time, but with the hours of enjoyment dropping someone else into an acid bath as an added bonus I'd consider it money well spent. Another factor not reasoned by many are potential challenge modes (fewest portals, steps, least time), a la numero un. The story is well crafted, and yes there is a cliffhanger. Do you not want a third installment? Graphics are improved, but not markedly from the original. We are talking about Valve here. For those complaints concerning the stupid hats and glasses offered as DLC, if you don't want a stupid hat or glasses don't buy them!!!11 It's called capitalism, if no one buys the crap it'll either not be offered or will be bundled in the next one.
    tl;dr better graphics than first, little pricey, don't buy extra s#$t 8/10
  9. May 4, 2011
    Easily one of the greatest videogames ever made. I just finished it last night, and I must say that this game has a perfect balance of puzzle and story, seamlessly integrating both. I never had to stop solving puzzles to appreciate the story, but beyond that, I actually felt like I was a part of the story, even though the game is incredibly scripted. Portal 2 has fiendishly clever puzzles.Easily one of the greatest videogames ever made. I just finished it last night, and I must say that this game has a perfect balance of puzzle and story, seamlessly integrating both. I never had to stop solving puzzles to appreciate the story, but beyond that, I actually felt like I was a part of the story, even though the game is incredibly scripted. Portal 2 has fiendishly clever puzzles. While there's always one specific solution, I had plenty of "ah-ha" moments. I never had to refer to any guides, but the puzzles get pretty complicated. There were definitely a few moments where I just scratched my head. I won't spoil it, but there's lots of great back-story and character development for fans of the original game. Lastly, the graphics were phenomenal - I did see some blurry textures here and there, but there was an incredible sense of space, and thought was put into every object in the game. Perhaps the most impressive aspect though, was the way that the environments would change as you moved through them. This is a huge change from the original, of course.

I know there are some people complaining that Portal 2 was too short, but I thought the length was perfect. It took me about two weeks to finish it, mostly because I only had small segments of time. In contrast with sprawling open-world games, this game gives you a constant sense of direction. It also has a sense of urgency, though you can always solve the puzzles at your own pace. There was a time when I might have complained that 8 hours of gameplay was too short, but at this point I'm more concerned about a 'perfect' experience; Portal 2 is thoughtful and thought-provoking in every moment. It absolutely has might highest recommendation.
  10. Apr 24, 2011
    One of the best story lines and satisfying game play I have played in years. It deserves All the love it gets. It's even greater on ps3, better graphics and PC and ps3 gamers can play online together.
  11. May 9, 2011
    With the hype surrounding this game, I doubted it could possibly match expectations, but Valve has pulled it off. Once again, the writing and voice-acting are superb and hilarious, the puzzles are challenging, but not frustrating, and the pacing is well done, smoothly introducing the player to new elements..The quality matches up, down the line, even to the end credits song, which is asWith the hype surrounding this game, I doubted it could possibly match expectations, but Valve has pulled it off. Once again, the writing and voice-acting are superb and hilarious, the puzzles are challenging, but not frustrating, and the pacing is well done, smoothly introducing the player to new elements..The quality matches up, down the line, even to the end credits song, which is as equally catchy as "Still Alive", a feat I thought frankly, impossible. The game is on the short side, though longer than the first, with the addition of an excellent co-op mode, and the nature of the game means there isn't really any re-playability once you've solved the puzzles. (unless one wants to enjoy the story experience again.) It'll be up to each individual to decide on whether they think it's worth the price, but the question of whether the game itself matches the first Portal is a resounding "Yes!"â Expand
  12. May 27, 2011
    From top to bottom, there is a lot to love about Portal 2, and not much to dislike. It is quite possibly the best delivery of a puzzle game, well, ever. Itâ
  13. Jul 30, 2011
    The sequal to a award-winning puzzle game, Portal 2 has a lot of expectations. Thankfully, it lives up to those. The game looks sharp, and the early levels had my jaw open most of the time. All 3 main characters are voiced amazingly, and the dialouge is nothing short of hilarious. The gameplay is as sharp as ever, and the new puzzle obstacles are unique, and none of them feel tacked on.The sequal to a award-winning puzzle game, Portal 2 has a lot of expectations. Thankfully, it lives up to those. The game looks sharp, and the early levels had my jaw open most of the time. All 3 main characters are voiced amazingly, and the dialouge is nothing short of hilarious. The gameplay is as sharp as ever, and the new puzzle obstacles are unique, and none of them feel tacked on. The twists and turns in the plot can become absolutely ridicoulous (In a good way). Don't listen to the idiots complaining about the length of the game. The main campaign takes anywhere from 6-8 hours, depending on how smart you are, and is still a blast the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th times through. That would have been enough in my book, but the game goes even further and gives you a second, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT campaign just for co-op. That can take about 4 hours, and supports local and online co-op. This is a great game and easily takes the crown for my favorite puzzle games, and one of my favorite games in general. Expand
  14. Aug 7, 2011
    Portal 2 is a very solid puzzle game which continues where Portal left off. I really enjoyed Portal in the Orange Box, it was a short but sweet experience and very humorous. Portal 2 continued this well for the most part with some great additions. You can get at least 15 hours gameplay from Portal 2 (including co-op). The positives:
    + Great example of humour in a video game, especially
    + Great example of humour in a video game, especially with the inclusion of Steven Merchant. P.S. I love the turrets, they are amazing. + Loved the co-op, had great fun playing this with my brother. + Steam integration was a fantastic addition and I hope all future Valve games also include this. + The puzzles are really well done, since they never feel to over whelming. The negatives:
    - The environments fit the theme of the game, but they can feel a little bland and tire on your towards the end of the game.
    - Portal 2 felt a little dragged out. It was great getting the extra puzzles but in terms of the story it felt unnecessarily stretched.
    - Lack of replay value (but at least there are trophies, which are a good incentive to play a second time and find the secrets)
  15. Dec 24, 2011
    Portal 2 is fantastic. Everything about it is PERFECT. It's an amazing follow up to Portal 1. The voice acting is some of the best you'll ever find these days, the plot is phenomenal, and the puzzles are well thought out and just the right difficulty. Hell, even the co-op, which I was skeptical of at first, was downright brilliant and provides a whole new experience and perspective on howPortal 2 is fantastic. Everything about it is PERFECT. It's an amazing follow up to Portal 1. The voice acting is some of the best you'll ever find these days, the plot is phenomenal, and the puzzles are well thought out and just the right difficulty. Hell, even the co-op, which I was skeptical of at first, was downright brilliant and provides a whole new experience and perspective on how to play the game. If you don't buy this game, you're doing yourself an injustice. Expand
  16. Dec 26, 2011
    Quality over quantity I think. Of course it can be nice to have a long game but it wouldn't really suit this game so well. If you're just going to play it in one player and that's it, buy it then trade it in.. or just rent it.

But make sure you do play it, it's an incredible game, so witty and funny, and the puzzles are so well thought out. There is honestly nothing like this out there apart from the first game of course, be sure to play that first if you can. And I haven't even mentioned the two player co-op missions yet. They're great and add a lot to this as well. Unbeatble quality and experience in this game, easily gets a ten from me. Well done Valve.
  17. Aug 18, 2012
    This game is epic !!! Create a new kind of game ,who expired many people to think diferent , that a game is much more than just press buttons !!!puzzles + innovative gameplay+comedy+awesome story=Portal2
  18. Mar 12, 2017
    Portal 2 took everything from Portal 1 and expanded on it to become a more polished and well-rounded game, with the exception of a few minor things. I'll start with what it left behind.

Portal 1 was a trance-like, surreal experience that relied on uncertainty and the unknown. It created a feeling of unease, yet somehow comforting and transfixing. To sum it up, it was a psychological game, with many elements preying into our psychology, most notably its eerie Orwellian atmosphere (with all-seeing cameras and computers.) Portal 2 foregoes all these psychological qualities, because it seeks not to shroud or mystify, but to answer. While Portal 2 does retain its Orwellian characteristics with cameras and feelings of confinement, it foregoes all the mystery by throwing everything out on the table- you see it all. It floods you without restraint with everything it has to offer- its mind bending and more elaborate puzzles, its further revelations of the main antagonist from Portal 1, and its introduction of other characters. This to me was disappointing when comparing to what Portal 1 achieved with haunting atmosphere, but not detracting. Portal 2 is not a surreal experience like the first, but it excels and goes above and beyond the first with a much bigger budget feel that delivers. It delivers with its more polished puzzles and gameplay, its emotional aspects with other characters, its over-the-top evil yet comical antagonist, and its fleshed out storyline. It is a much more story-driven game, which again, means it relies less on the curious unknown. Portal 1 and Portal 2 are equal on all accounts in the end, equal in their masterful, standalone rank among the greatest games of all time. Portal 2 is virtually a perfect game.
  19. Apr 30, 2011
    For me best game of the year up to now. Im not one of those people that give a 10 if they like a game and a 0 if they dont , that is why the user score is not that good , but im giving it a 10 because i think it deserves it. The writing was EXCELLENT being one of the most funny games i have ever played , the music was OMG if your in to that type and the puzzles where not to difficult butFor me best game of the year up to now. Im not one of those people that give a 10 if they like a game and a 0 if they dont , that is why the user score is not that good , but im giving it a 10 because i think it deserves it. The writing was EXCELLENT being one of the most funny games i have ever played , the music was OMG if your in to that type and the puzzles where not to difficult but well enough made to make you use your brain , which is fine with me . The major complaints about this game is about its day 1 dlc and its length. First of all you should not rate a game by its dlc but what comes in the package. What if the best game in the world for you comes out and the next day dlc comes out for it ? Whould your opinion about the game change in any way ? The correct answer is NO so stop reading reviews from people that gave the game a 2 because it dint have some hats ( wtf ? ) in it for free . Now about the time that it takes you to complete this game i can understand people complaining especially if they rarely buy a game . Thow this game is not short by any means ( about 12-18 hours with coop ) for a game at this age , its probably not enough for some people . If a game has just got single player it should last 60 hours or if it has multiplayer it should last someone a whole year . For me i believe that that VALVe has chosen quality over quantity ( as i said thow its not that short as people keep saying ) so i dont think i should reduct points from it. Before i finish i want to say that this is the ps3 version so you also get steam on your console which gives you steam achievements cross platform coop with the pc and mac steam cloud which allows you to save your ps3 progress and continue on your pc . Oh dint i mention ? if you puy the game for the ps3 you also get a code to download it for free on steam . FOR FREE PEOPLE so its not a complete waste of money is it ? VALVe i Expand
  20. Apr 26, 2011
    First off - people ranking the game a zero to "compensate" for the 10s probably just need to do something to compensate for their other "disadvantages". Maybe someone DID feel it was a 10. But there are people here saying "I'd give it a 7, but since so many people rated it high I'm going to give it a zero", and that's just plain dumb. I didn't feel the game was a ten. It was far tooFirst off - people ranking the game a zero to "compensate" for the 10s probably just need to do something to compensate for their other "disadvantages". Maybe someone DID feel it was a 10. But there are people here saying "I'd give it a 7, but since so many people rated it high I'm going to give it a zero", and that's just plain dumb. I didn't feel the game was a ten. It was far too short for that. I completed single player in about 4 and a half hours. For $60? Pfft. If it were $20 I'd probably give it a 10, but not at this price point. Fortunately Best Buy gave $10 gift cards so I didn't feel TOO ripped off, but if it weren't for the funny dialogue, I'd probably give this a 6. Some puzzles were challenging, but once you start thinking in portals the solutions tend to come naturally and no puzzle had me stuck for more than 15 minutes. I might hang on to this for the co-op, but by the time I've finished that, I'll be trading towards LA Noire. Expand
  21. Apr 22, 2011
    Unlike most of the people on this site giving this game bad reviews, I have actually beaten both single player and co-op, so I have a right to be reviewing the game. First off I would like to say this is NOT a short game, which seems to be the only thing that most people are complaining about. It took me about 14 hours to play through both single player and co-op (including the hour me andUnlike most of the people on this site giving this game bad reviews, I have actually beaten both single player and co-op, so I have a right to be reviewing the game. First off I would like to say this is NOT a short game, which seems to be the only thing that most people are complaining about. It took me about 14 hours to play through both single player and co-op (including the hour me and my friend took to play tag in coop). This will obviously differ depending on how good you are at puzzles, but I have a 133 IQ, so unless you are Einstein or looked at a walkthrough for every puzzle before playing them, it shouldn't take less than ten hours minimum. Also, this is the funniest game i have played since, well, portal 1. In fact this is much funnier than portal 1, and i found myself laughing out loud almost every test chamber. The voice acting is sensational, with great writing and actors who were obviously into their roles. At some points I found myself standing still for five minutes just to listen to what the characters have to say (I waited at the turret production line part for ten minutes just to hear every one liner they say, every one making me laugh) . The story even has a few twists that you will not see coming,and an ending that will make you want to jump up and down at its sheer awesomeness. Obviously the game play isn't for everyone, but if you don't like puzzle games then you shouldn't be playing it anyway. If you do like puzzles, you are unlikely to find a game with more fun, challenging, and creative puzzles than portal 2. The only downside is that, as a puzzle game, there is not much re-playability other than revisiting the story. Fortunately valve has announced that they are going to support it with mod tools on PC and there is likely to be DLC, so we should have a decent amount of new content coming. In conclusion, Portal 2 is a fun, challenging, rewarding puzzle game with an awesome story. If you liked the first Portal,you will love Portal 2. Even if you dont like puzzles it is worth going through just to listen to the characters speak. It obviously doesn't have as much lasting appeal, but the price tag is worth the amount of enjoyment you will get from your first play through. Buy it, and you will love it. The only reason people are complaining about it being too short is that it is so good you don't want it to end. Expand
  22. Apr 19, 2011
    please dont listen to the user score as of 4/19/11 i have no clue how they will be in the future but right now its all the trolls and the idiots thats dont know what a good game is or how to review a squeal. im giving it a 10/10 because it is a good sequel i am in no way saying its better then portal 1 because nothing ever is better then the original.the story line is not short its aplease dont listen to the user score as of 4/19/11 i have no clue how they will be in the future but right now its all the trolls and the idiots thats dont know what a good game is or how to review a squeal. im giving it a 10/10 because it is a good sequel i am in no way saying its better then portal 1 because nothing ever is better then the original.the story line is not short its a perfect length the crazy antics are the same and it is a bit different then portal 1 and thats a good thing.get this game you will not be sorry. Expand
  23. Apr 19, 2011
    The backlash against Portal 2 on this site is somewhat mystifying to me. As far as sequels go, it would be inconceivable to hope for a better one than this. Much of the bitterness of others probably stems from the underwhelming conclusion of Valve's alternate reality game leading up to the release and the fact that Portal 2 lacks some of the freshness of Portal 1 (but then again, it's aThe backlash against Portal 2 on this site is somewhat mystifying to me. As far as sequels go, it would be inconceivable to hope for a better one than this. Much of the bitterness of others probably stems from the underwhelming conclusion of Valve's alternate reality game leading up to the release and the fact that Portal 2 lacks some of the freshness of Portal 1 (but then again, it's a sequel--what do you really expect?). The brilliance of Portal 1's storytelling came as a surprise to people just expecting an experimental puzzle game; Portal 2, then can only lose points by not having even greater writing/humour/etc. Regardless, Portal 2 improves on the original with a longer and more challenging single-player mode, a co-op mode, several new mechanics, and more Portal humor. It's a great sequel to a great game. If the price seems steep to console users, just wait a while and pick it up later--it's worth your time. Expand
  24. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is easily the equal of Portal 1, and a fantastic followup that adds much to the already established perfection. Not only is the humor easily as good as last time, the puzzle solving goes from okay, to Portal 1's equal, to amazing and beyond anything Portal ever did over the course of the 7 to 10 hour campaign.

Addressing some concerns that other reviews have said (don't listen

Addressing some concerns that other reviews have said (don't listen to them, they are mad about an ARG and DLC that have nothing to do with the actual game), no, the game is not 3 hours long. No, there is no game-enhancing DLC to get upset about, the DLC, which is PC only in the first place, is purely aesthetic and no one who isn't interested has any reason to buy it. Finally, the ARG that took place before this game was release not only resulted in a midnight release on Steam (as opposed to the planned 7am release), it also got everyone who got all of the "potatoes" in the ARG Valve's *entire library of games for free*.

There is no reason to dislike this game, and many of the reviews are simply venting frustrations not at all related to the game's quality. It's better in every way than one than the original Portal, save one, originality. And let's face it, that magic has passed, we can't get that moment in time back, so we should enjoy an amazing game for what it is, the best possible sequel to Portal, and the best game of the year so far.
  25. Apr 20, 2011
    This is probably one of the best PS3 games out this year, and a free pc copy makes all that much better. The plot is good and the gameplay is excellent, the portal mechanics have been fine tuned to near perfection.
  26. Apr 20, 2011
    My opinions on the game are that it is a beautifully crafted masterpiece that is worthy of it's 95 metacritic rating and that people can play and enjoy whilst also being mentally challenged to solve the puzzles provided. The witty Humour and constant one-liners from Glados, Cave Johnson and Wheatley make the game ever more fun and add hilarity into the Mix, Valve certainly know how to makeMy opinions on the game are that it is a beautifully crafted masterpiece that is worthy of it's 95 metacritic rating and that people can play and enjoy whilst also being mentally challenged to solve the puzzles provided. The witty Humour and constant one-liners from Glados, Cave Johnson and Wheatley make the game ever more fun and add hilarity into the Mix, Valve certainly know how to make you laugh.
    Overall for me this game gets a 10 and if you're strapped for cash i would go for it and it is cheaper than any other brand new game out there.
    AS well as this Everybody Talking about Day 1 DLC being bad and it's too short are wrong,. You don't need the DLC to play the game and enjoy it's just there if you want it, all it is is optional extras like hats and costumes. As well as this the Game it self lasts in the region of 12-15 hours for everything (or 17-20) if you listen to the developer commentaries as we
  27. Ru3
    Apr 20, 2011
    I only played portal 1 briefly, so for all intents and purposes I am a newcomer to Portal in Portal 2. But I have to say, I was riveted. Yes, I finished the entire campaign in 2 days, but that was playing for about... 5 hours each day, give or take. I took it slow. I enjoyed the dialogue, the interesting backstory and the hilarity of the voice actors.
    I wasn't even aware there was DLC. And
    I wasn't even aware there was DLC. And to that end- who cares? If you don't like DLC, DONT DOWNLOAD IT. It's cosmetic. Seriously. I don't know what people are getting so worked up about; if people don't like the fact that the DLC costs so much, then DONT BUY IT. Sheesh.
    The graphics use a dated engine, fair enough. But it's not meant to look insane with visuals. The concept is what is being promoted. The game did exactly what it was meant to do- play with physics to solve the puzzles, and make it longer than portal 1. Which it did (apparently, since Portal 1 was short as hell).

And if people didn't like the concept of shooting portals to solve puzzles, maybe they shouldn't have bought a freaking puzzle game! I am not a fanboy. I appreciate a job well done when I see it. Yes, it lasted 2 days for me, but they were two days well spent. And I'm not buying DLC- why? BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO- and that DOESNT affect what I feel about the game itself.
  28. Apr 20, 2011
    nikmaster gives the game a 0 rating and yet he actually says, "the game is good," "A+ quality puzzle." WTF? I think I'm lost.

So, nikmaster, sorry to stick to your review it just really perturbed me, you purchased a puzzle game with "A+ quality puzzle" (you said puzzle rather than puzzles not me) and gave the game a 0 rating based on the fact that you say it is no longer a "sandbox" game? At what point was the first Portal a "sandbox" game? Every room in that game seemed pretty confined with only one way out to me. Never did I walk into a room and decide to talk to Gay Tony about opening the door on the left rather than heading over the the right door where a local junkie needed me to score some coke from behind that door. The goal has always been (besides defeating the boss, which technically is still the same thing) to get out of the room your are in by solving a puzzle using portals. Anyway, I really like the game, I enjoyed the humor, the atmosphere can be eerie, the puzzles are fun, and co-op is a very nice addition. I switched from the Xbox version last time to the PS3 version this time (comes with a free PC download of the game which people don't seem to be mentioning) and the textures seem to be much higher res but the particle effects look like streamers rather than the firework like effect from the Xbox version I played while playing Portal 1.

I might be missing something but, I was never able to figure out how to voice chat in co-op on the PS3 version of the game, only text chat; that is not acceptable.

Great game overall; also, portal is great for getting your wife into FPS games... she can learn FPS controls while playing a puzzle game!
  29. Apr 21, 2011
    Another absolute triumph in almost every aspect by Valve, with a truly engrossing story and atmosphere that carves an extraordinary cinematic experience for the player, still fitting neatly into the cosmology of Half Life. The game introduces a multitude of new game play elements and mechanics to harness alongside most concepts of the first game. players will see the return of theAnother absolute triumph in almost every aspect by Valve, with a truly engrossing story and atmosphere that carves an extraordinary cinematic experience for the player, still fitting neatly into the cosmology of Half Life. The game introduces a multitude of new game play elements and mechanics to harness alongside most concepts of the first game. players will see the return of the benevolent and comical GLaDOS amongst an array of new and wonderfully voiced characters. Content is also provided in a healthy sum as once the single player campaign is completed, players can move on to the equally as lengthy and outstanding cooperative campaign. Portal 2 Vehemently pulls itself ahead of the crowd and will please newcomers to the franchise along with fans of the Brilliant and innovative first game a like, it is an exceptional game to say the least and will provide endless hours of fun. Expand
  30. Apr 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is one of my favorite games of all time, even better than the first. The story, the puzzles, and the characters are all more complex this time around, in a good way. The ending itself is amazing, the moon sequence, followed by the adorable turret opera, topped off with the unexpected return of the (original?) companion cube! Well done Valve! Expand
  31. Apr 27, 2011
    Portal 2 is excellent all the way through. The puzzles are great, and are presented along a well executed curve of difficulty. The voice acting and humor are both top notch. I would absolutely recommend trying this game out, especially if you have played through the first Portal and are a fan. And for those who are giving it 0's to even out the score to what you think it should be, anPortal 2 is excellent all the way through. The puzzles are great, and are presented along a well executed curve of difficulty. The voice acting and humor are both top notch. I would absolutely recommend trying this game out, especially if you have played through the first Portal and are a fan. And for those who are giving it 0's to even out the score to what you think it should be, an average is supposed to be an average of everyone's opinion, not what you think it should be. Don't ruin the site for everyone. Expand
  32. May 10, 2011
    In no way was I disappointed. In fact, I was very impressed with the game overall. I expected GLaDOS to be slightly more vengeful but she still managed to amuse me. CO-OP was a fun addition. As long as we can get some harder "tests" in the coming DLC then I won't have anything negative to say.
  33. May 28, 2011
    I thought this game was absolutely brilliant. My only qualm would be that, although the story is indeed good, it is slightly too repetitive. Co-op also feels like a completely additional story line. How ever I also think it could require a tab more creativity to solve the puzzles. Good length, good plot, great additions, Great game! Well worth the money.
  34. May 29, 2011
    This is an improvement in every way, shape or form to the first game. Don't pay attention to the disgruntled PC gaming fans - they're mostly pissed off that this gem isn't 'theirs' anymore, and therefore are looking for every straw man they can to diss the game. Fact is, the single player campaign is at least three times as long as the previous one; it features a couple of plot twistsThis is an improvement in every way, shape or form to the first game. Don't pay attention to the disgruntled PC gaming fans - they're mostly pissed off that this gem isn't 'theirs' anymore, and therefore are looking for every straw man they can to diss the game. Fact is, the single player campaign is at least three times as long as the previous one; it features a couple of plot twists which will make you scratch your head and keep playing just to see what's going on; and new gameplay devices are introduced smoothly and expertly, never overwhelming the player. It's also interesting to see how Valve handled co-op mode: it's a whole new campaign by itself, and it features an indicator system that may not be as effective as using an actual headset, but it's surprisingly functional all the same. All in all, there's nothing wrong to be found here... Unless you're so spoiled about game length to the point that 16 hours devoted to high quality gaming isn't as good as 40 hours managing inventory just so you can endure another 40 hours of medieval fantasy cliches. Then, and only then, Portal 2 isn't the game for you. Expand
  35. Aug 15, 2011
    wow people are giving this low scores because of its length have they played the multiplayer

This game is a fun engaging puzzle game with a very good story attached to it if you like portal 1 this is a must buy if you like the half life setting this game has more of that if you like a puzzle game you can't go wrong with getting this game. The time it took me to finish the single player was about 7.5 hours those hours are the funnest hours you will ever have BUT you should play in 1 hour sessions as it might get repetitive. the multiplayer however is an extra 7 hours long so your getting 14 hours of gameplay compared to Mw2 where you would get 6 hours at most of gameplay so time isn't issue with this game

My advice: Get it
  36. Jun 14, 2011
    Thoroughly enjoyed this game from start to finish. The visuals are great and gameplay is challenging at times. The announcement of the free upgrade with challenge mode will keep me nipping in and out of the game for some time. I love the fact that for once a third-party developer made the game look and perform better on the PS3 than the 360. Good work. Now announce Half-Life 3!
  37. Nov 22, 2012
    value made the best puzzle game i ever played . portal 2 have great coop mode . it has good story . great gameplay.portal 2 is one of the best game of 2011
  38. Aug 13, 2013
    This is an amazing mind puzzling game well worth 40$ you can play single player or multiplayer with your family. You can play this game for hours and not be bored. Get it soon!!!!
  39. May 2, 2011
    I would rate this game an 8.4. It is a pretty game but lacks very much content to make it any higher of score. It can be rented, beaten, and returned in one 5 day period.
  40. Jio
    Apr 19, 2011
    Great game, when I got it I was expecting a rehash of Portal with some added extras but what I found was that this is a great improvement from an already amazing game. While the campaign in the original portal was short, this one was amazing with a great story to match. My problems with the game is the co-op which required a lot of cooperation and is oftentimes very difficulty and replayGreat game, when I got it I was expecting a rehash of Portal with some added extras but what I found was that this is a great improvement from an already amazing game. While the campaign in the original portal was short, this one was amazing with a great story to match. My problems with the game is the co-op which required a lot of cooperation and is oftentimes very difficulty and replay value which isn't as great as other games with not much incentive to play after you beat the campaign. Expand
  41. May 21, 2011
    Another winner from Valve yet again. Great single player which I think surpasses the first game as you don't feel limited with just doing test chambers all the time. The voice acting is where Portal 2 shines, you just can't not laugh at the quirks and comments from Glados (Ellen Mclain), Wheatly (Stephen Merchant) and my favourite Cave Johnson (JK Simmons). The cooperative play is very funAnother winner from Valve yet again. Great single player which I think surpasses the first game as you don't feel limited with just doing test chambers all the time. The voice acting is where Portal 2 shines, you just can't not laugh at the quirks and comments from Glados (Ellen Mclain), Wheatly (Stephen Merchant) and my favourite Cave Johnson (JK Simmons). The cooperative play is very fun to play and adds the length to game. Not much replayablility but aside from that it is a rock solid game. Expand
  42. May 19, 2011
    It's rare in our sequel filled world that anything equals the original, let alone surpasses it. Portal 2 accomplishes this without losing sight of what made the original great, an even rarer feat.

Portal 2 puts you back in the shoes of the original speechless protagonist from the first game. For those that didn't have the patched PC version that explained a bit more of the ending from the last one, you were recaptured at the end of the game, setting up the beginning of Portal 2.

You're greeted by a friendly AI core named Wheatley as the place is falling down around you. After making your escape from danger, you and Wheatley set out to find a way out of the facility. Much like GLaDOS from the first game, the game is absolutely made by the interaction between you and this character. The voicing of this character couldn't be more appropriate. The dialog at the ends of levels, as well as some of the little quips in between were on occasion laugh out loud funny. Of course, GLaDOS makes her appearance in this game as well, and is every bit as hilarious and sadistic as the previous game. The story is very intriguing, and you'll get to learn a lot of the background behind Aperture Science. For a game that in it's first incarnation started with no story at all, they've managed to wrap a great piece of fiction around the brilliant game mechanic that gave life to the series. Whoever is doing the writing for this series is worth every penny that Valve pays them. The gameplay differs very little from the first game until roughly half way through the game. The same two portal mechanic is still used to solve puzzles, but a curveball from a mechanic standpoint as well as a story standpoint gets thrown at the player with the introduction of gels. There are three different types of gel that it turns out Aperture was working on: a bounce gel, an acceleration gel, and a portal gel. The first two are pretty self explanatory. The third though, allows you to place a portal on any surface. This is a very interesting twist to the game mechanic, especially given how the gels are dispensed. I was worried in early previews when the gel was revealed that this would change the game drastically, and not for the better. However, I couldn't have been more wrong. The gel mechanics add another layer to the puzzles, but are never the absolute focal point of the puzzle. Every puzzle still maintains the portal mechanic as the primary means of getting the job done. I like to maintain my reviews as spoiler free, so I'll leave it to you to see what I'm talking about. Suffice to say, it's a welcome addition to the game.

The only criticism I can level at the game are the load times. This seems to be more distracting later in the game than earlier. (Trying to avoid spoilers here) You'll find that the game will stop suddenly and take significant amounts of time to load the next section. I'm not a programmer, nor do I play one on TV, but I would think at this point that programmers should be able to find an intelligent way to seamlessly load the next section of a game unbeknownst to the player.

This edition of the game introduces a co-operative experience with it's own stand alone story as well. I would strongly recommend finishing the single player version of the game before beginning the co-op. There's two reasons for this. First, completing all the puzzles in the single player mode will prepare you for the challenge of co-op. Co-op is a different beast entirely when it comes to difficulty. Though I only have about three hours in the co-op at this point, I would say that it is more difficult than single player. Secondly, the co-op contains a very minor spoiler for the single player game right out of the gate. It's not much, but if you like to be surprised as much as possible by story elements, you'll want to finish the single player first.

Pros:

* More of the same great puzzles
    * Voice acting is outstanding, and the story is both engaging and laugh out loud funny in some instances
    * Enough new mechanics added to keep the game from feeling stale, while keeping the focus on using portals to solve puzzles
    * Co-op mode extends the play time of the game and gives a completely new experience, complete with its own stand alone story

Cons:

*Load screens between sequences can take you out of the flow of the game

Score: 5 out of 5 stars - Must Own
  43. Apr 19, 2011
    Ok this game it's all I've waiting for, and I'm sure truly fans will agree with me, and the co-op mode it's a nice and great bonus. Graphics are good, gameplay is as awesome as Portal was and I'm in love with the wonderful soundtrack, the VALVe team did a magnificent work there. Worth the buy nuff said.
  44. Apr 19, 2011
    Don't listen to everyone here giving the game a 0 or a 1. The only points these /v/ members have are: 1) Day 1 DLC (the DLC is only customization for your co-op bot, and does not affect gameplay whatsoever, so there is no reason to even consider buying the DLC. Although I do agree that charging for this stuff from day 1 seems kind of lame, the actual value of the DLC is little other thanDon't listen to everyone here giving the game a 0 or a 1. The only points these /v/ members have are: 1) Day 1 DLC (the DLC is only customization for your co-op bot, and does not affect gameplay whatsoever, so there is no reason to even consider buying the DLC. Although I do agree that charging for this stuff from day 1 seems kind of lame, the actual value of the DLC is little other than for those who would like to splurge their cash on extra hats and emoticons for their co-op player.)
    2) Short story (the actual singleplayer story runs about 6+ hours AT LEAST provided that you don't google the solutions for every puzzle, and the co-op story is another 5+ hours.
    Please don't let the mediocre userscore turn you off. The trolls here hating on this game have no base and no ground for giving a AAA game a 0. (seriously? vavlesucks? could you possibly make yourself more obvious)
    Just buy the game. It's worth it.
  45. Apr 20, 2011
    Valve has done it again , incredible game like aways. The 1st Portal was such a lovely surprise in the orange box , such a smart and innovative gameplay and Portal 2 just took this formula to another level. I really don't know how many smart people you must place together to figure out soo many ,soo different and soo smart puzzles. I think when game industry was invented many ears ago ,Valve has done it again , incredible game like aways. The 1st Portal was such a lovely surprise in the orange box , such a smart and innovative gameplay and Portal 2 just took this formula to another level. I really don't know how many smart people you must place together to figure out soo many ,soo different and soo smart puzzles. I think when game industry was invented many ears ago , the goal was just to entertain people , then games become something more , something bigger and games like War Craft , Star Craft , Half Life and Portal boost the evolution of gaming and made an example how to make FPS shooter and real time strategies. Expand
  46. Apr 22, 2011
    I think this is the best game what I played! I can´t understand the negative user score. The single player is short but perfectly written. The new game play elements are amazing!!!!
    Thank you Valve!!!
  47. Apr 21, 2011
    I loved this game. I'd rate it a 9 but for it to get to that average I must rate it as a 10. It took me 9 hours to complete single player and I still haven't gone through with developer's commentary, or finished co-op. It's definitely worth the money being that it comes with the PC and Mac version (a $50 value) free. I loved all of the black humor and the enveloping story. This is a sequelI loved this game. I'd rate it a 9 but for it to get to that average I must rate it as a 10. It took me 9 hours to complete single player and I still haven't gone through with developer's commentary, or finished co-op. It's definitely worth the money being that it comes with the PC and Mac version (a $50 value) free. I loved all of the black humor and the enveloping story. This is a sequel that I'm not at all disappointed with, being that I hardly expected one when playing through the first game. This is a great game that I'd whole-heartedly recommend to anyone, no matter if you're a gamer or not nor what genre of game you normally play, and, in my opinion, is a front runner for Game of the Year. That being said I'd have liked to see more of the testing elements combined in the tests and some more difficult tests for the hardcore gamers, that is my only negative comment. Expand
  48. Apr 21, 2011
    Fantastic game with at least 15 hours of play time. Anyone who says otherwise is lying. Better than the first, totally worth the price. The cross platform play is also exceptional. Well done Valve.
  49. Apr 23, 2011
    The story - "Valve-styled". It made me play all evening and, after that , all night long...
    Graphics - one of the strongest sides of this game. I'm still affected by these maps with VERY HUGE spaces. I'VE NEVER SEEN anything like this before!!!! It is still misunderstandable how can these maps load in ~10 seconds?! I'm also puzzled how can these maps fit into my notebook videocard's memory which is only 256mb, high-detailed?!
    Defects: 1. Game often shuted down. But I suppose that is a bug of my non-legal copy.
    2. The first 10-15 testchambers are really boring! But I understand that they are created for some unique idiots who will buy the second Portal without playing the first one! But as for me, it is really annoying!
    This game EXCEEDED ALL IMAGINABLE EXPECTATIONS!!!!
    Well, there are many small defects in this game, so I'd better rate "9", but this game really affected me... Then the only mark I can give is "10"!
    P.S.:Yes, I'm definitely buying the official copy...
  50. Apr 23, 2011
    It is awesome! Go away haters! Portal 2 is a must buy and does everything right! Best game out this year so far! The game doesn't deserve 0's and 1's. It deserves 9's and 10's!
  51. Apr 25, 2011
    Valve picks quality of quantity in portal 2. The voice acting is fantastic, the story is amazing, the game play is loveable. After finishing single player, I can say that this is one of my favorite games. Its length is a tad short. I finished it in an evening and a morning, but like I said, its quality. And you can stretch the time by going for the trophies. But Valve better release someValve picks quality of quantity in portal 2. The voice acting is fantastic, the story is amazing, the game play is loveable. After finishing single player, I can say that this is one of my favorite games. Its length is a tad short. I finished it in an evening and a morning, but like I said, its quality. And you can stretch the time by going for the trophies. But Valve better release some free DLC/ user made levels. In all, if you liked portal a lot, get this
    if you liked the idea of portal but thought it was a tad boring, look up some videos and see if you like it
    If you hated portal, wouldn't recommend it to you.
  52. Apr 25, 2011
    I found this game an excellent sequel. For me, it is the games writing that really sets it apart. The comedy and voice acting is brilliant and at times they manage to even scare you despite you knowing there are no actual enemies in the game (as it is all puzzle based). The player gets to explore and understand the history of Aperture laboratories and makes the relatively closed world ofI found this game an excellent sequel. For me, it is the games writing that really sets it apart. The comedy and voice acting is brilliant and at times they manage to even scare you despite you knowing there are no actual enemies in the game (as it is all puzzle based). The player gets to explore and understand the history of Aperture laboratories and makes the relatively closed world of the first instalment a much bigger one.

On a puzzle based note, I did feel that the puzzles weren't as challenging as I thought they would be. I was expecting a much steeper difficulty curve, with only a couple of the puzzles posing any real difficulty (maybe I have been thinking with portals too long?). That said, there is no reason not to pick this title up if you are a fan of good puzzle games, a fan of the first one, or just very entertaining and clever writing. At the time of writing this, PSN has been down since its release so I am unable to comment on the cooperative mode, however, I have heard from fellow Steam users that it is just as good as the single player experience, if not with harder puzzles.
  53. Apr 30, 2011
    The best game experience in last three years and one of the best games of decade. Studio Valve shows how to do game for gamers and also how to earn big money. Best studio in the whole industry. Story, humour, graphics in Portal 2 - everything is epic here. And... now announced DLC for all platforms FREE - who else can offer it to the players?
  54. May 18, 2011
    Let me preface this by saying that Portal 2 is one of the most well-written games I've ever played, and the voice acting completely compliments it in the best way possible. However, fantastic writing and sound doesn't mean you can get away with a perfect score. If you liked Portal, you won't be disappointed at all here. The campaign is pretty much 5 times longer than the first Portal, andLet me preface this by saying that Portal 2 is one of the most well-written games I've ever played, and the voice acting completely compliments it in the best way possible. However, fantastic writing and sound doesn't mean you can get away with a perfect score. If you liked Portal, you won't be disappointed at all here. The campaign is pretty much 5 times longer than the first Portal, and there are a lot more elements to solve the puzzles. Solving puzzles are so satisfying, but when you fully master the new puzzle elements, the game is pretty much over, and the new stuff isn't used as much as you'd like to. Portal 2 is a great game, but I just want more, and it didn't deliver enough of the new stuff. Maybe it's a good sign of making me want more. Expand
  55. May 30, 2011
    Valve has yet again put together an absolutely fantastic game and sequel to their previous hit, Portal. In this one, the campaign is much longer, more diverse, more challenging and funnier. It goes by quite fast, but it's because you're having so much fun. The voice actors are superb and the puzzles are even better than last time. The intuitive additions to the franchise all add somethingValve has yet again put together an absolutely fantastic game and sequel to their previous hit, Portal. In this one, the campaign is much longer, more diverse, more challenging and funnier. It goes by quite fast, but it's because you're having so much fun. The voice actors are superb and the puzzles are even better than last time. The intuitive additions to the franchise all add something that helps the gameplay and enhances the possibilities. The soundtrack is also extremely well-done and original and will be something you'll want to revisit. To aid in replay value, Valve have added a phenomenal co-op section of the game where two people can work together. These puzzles are harder and more challenging than you ever thought or saw in single player. However, even with co-op and promised DLC, the game does suffer from a lack of replay value. There are added commentary tracks in each level (but not near enough) and little surprises to add icing to the cake (which is a lie) but in the end you can only play the game so much before you have everything memorized and it's no longer enjoyable. Hopefully the promised DLC as well as potential future DLC will fix this issue, as it's a fantastic game. Expand
  56. Jun 10, 2011
    Rather than go on about how much I loved the game, let me instead leave you with some helpful notes.

-The game plays like a tutorial. That is, the learning curve is extremely linear. Very rarely are you asked to do something complicated without being made to do a simple version of it a level or two before. Still, very rarely is anything explicitly spelled out. -As I see it, there

-As I see it, there are two different negative reactions to this. Seasoned players from Portal 1 are aware of this system and take full inventory of the tools available to him. These people complain that the game is too easy.
    Then there are the people who get stuck on a very specific part with a simple solution and they say the game is too hard.

-Addressing the people in that second camp... The most common criticism I hear goes something like, "you're stuck in one section of the game forever looking for that one part of the wall you're supposed to shoot."
    You can get stuck in this game, but rarely if ever does it involve finding that one random spot to stick a portal. If you're firing wildly on the horizon, fishing for a spot to progress, you're doing it wrong. Progress is never accidental.

-"I liked the test chamber parts, but the middle part sucked."
    As convincing as these non-test areas are, they're really test areas, just dirtier-looking. Anyone who attempts to navigate these parts normally is going to get stuck.

-The story is well-written, well-acted, and well-paced. Some people are critical of it, comparing it to the first game. This is my take: The first game is interesting and elegant in a way that surprises you. What looks like a simple but unique puzzle game actually has an interesting, dark sense of humor. The sequel, unable to deliver this same kind of surprise, instead makes an effort to introduce new characters and bothers to flesh them out. But it doesn't lose its dark sense of humor.

-Co-op is more of the same but with a buddy. The story isn't as complex, but the puzzles are more difficult. (although they are mostly confined to the obvious test chambers people seem to like) My advice? Play with someone you know you're not going to fight with. At any one point you'll feel stupid because the other guy figured something out before you could, or you'll be frustrated with the guy you're dragging along. Compared to most co-op games, this one is unforgiving in that success is clearly success and failure is clearly failure.

-It's short. I finished it in two days playing pretty steadily. If you're on the kind of budget that allows you one game all year, this might not be for you. But if your budget allows two games, get a nice multi-player that lasts you a while and Portal 2.
  57. Jul 27, 2011
    Easily one of the best games ever made . Don't make yourself the ignorance of not playing this all time masterpiece Awesome character design spectacular writing and amazing overall gameplay experience I didn't regret buying . Perfect in all ways!
  58. Jun 28, 2011
    I did not even play the first portal, and yet i am so convinced Valve have created a monster franchise out of this game. It was funny, witty, and truly cynical in it's humor. Thanks for the great game Valve. A plus for Playstation 3 owners, you get a free version of Portal 2 for Steam on PC, definitely sold me the copy I bought. But honestly, I did not even play the PC version. What II did not even play the first portal, and yet i am so convinced Valve have created a monster franchise out of this game. It was funny, witty, and truly cynical in it's humor. Thanks for the great game Valve. A plus for Playstation 3 owners, you get a free version of Portal 2 for Steam on PC, definitely sold me the copy I bought. But honestly, I did not even play the PC version. What I did like though, was to be able to play my Steam friends through the PSN while they were on Steam!!!! That was such a great idea. Expand
  59. Jul 5, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The perfect combination of puzzles and fps gaming, plus a wonderful co-op. The only problem is that the source shows its age but this amazing music make you forgive. Expand
  60. Jul 18, 2011
    Playing this game was an excellent use of my time. The story was encapsulating, the puzzles were with lack of a better word, puzzling and the physics of the portals were mind boggling. Steven Merchant made an excellent cast member, he made the Wheatley character incredibly entertaining and funny. Best game of the year so far. Anybody who gives a bad review is either not a fan of puzzlePlaying this game was an excellent use of my time. The story was encapsulating, the puzzles were with lack of a better word, puzzling and the physics of the portals were mind boggling. Steven Merchant made an excellent cast member, he made the Wheatley character incredibly entertaining and funny. Best game of the year so far. Anybody who gives a bad review is either not a fan of puzzle games or is stuck at a certain puzzle and has gotten frustrated. Expand
  61. Oct 5, 2011
    Superb game ! Went back to it today and picked up some trophies and played the free co-op DLC. The voice acting and music compliment the gameplay superbly. A must buy
  62. Nov 10, 2011
    Great game, clever level design, I just wish the single-player game was a little longer, maybe by an hour or so, but still overall it is fun. The puzzles are very rewarding when you figure out the solution.
  63. Nov 14, 2011
    What more can I say, It's the best?

It's a sequel that is not just "more of the same." While the first one was puzzle focused game in small, sterilized environments, the second one is a story driven puzzle game with varied environments. It is just as funny as the fist one as well, and has a great ending The puzzles are just as entertaining as well, especially with the new elements like
    What more can I say, It's the best?

The puzzles are just as entertaining as well, especially with the new elements like gels, light bridges, lasers, and gravity beams. It's just great. If you don't play it, you are depriving yourself of one of the best experiences you can have, not just as a gamer, but as a person.
  64. Aug 3, 2014
    This game is a masterpiece. TG.
  65. Dec 3, 2011
    This game had a very entertaining and hilarious story line that explained a lot of the events in the original Portal. The puzzles were a lot of fun to figure out and not once was I frustrated. I'm still playing the co-op eight months after the game's release, thanks to some great--and free--downloadable content. One point off for a too-slow pace for two hours or so in the second thirdThis game had a very entertaining and hilarious story line that explained a lot of the events in the original Portal. The puzzles were a lot of fun to figure out and not once was I frustrated. I'm still playing the co-op eight months after the game's release, thanks to some great--and free--downloadable content. One point off for a too-slow pace for two hours or so in the second third of the game. Expand
  66. Aug 22, 2012
    This game is easily the best game I have played since Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga for the game-boy. The haters are wrong. Everything about this game, the voice acting, the game-play, the puzzles, and everything else, are fantastic. I am a little bit sad that the PS3 version doesn't come with the level making update, but this game is amazing. I would recommend this to anyone.
  67. Feb 26, 2013
    Let me just get this out of the way, Portal 2 is just absolutely brilliant. Forget about the easy puzzles and short single player. The characters are well done and gameplay very smooth. Valve has lived up to their standards and have created a truly amazing game. Portal 2 is a true sequel to the original that took us all by surprise. The story is very mysterious, with much more backgroundLet me just get this out of the way, Portal 2 is just absolutely brilliant. Forget about the easy puzzles and short single player. The characters are well done and gameplay very smooth. Valve has lived up to their standards and have created a truly amazing game. Portal 2 is a true sequel to the original that took us all by surprise. The story is very mysterious, with much more background info than you can imagine. The puzzles are separated by their elements and go from relatively simple to complicated. Despite the potential of a huge difficulty, it is very simplistic. Why? Each chapter of the single-player introduces a new element to the puzzles. From lasers to jumping platforms, it's all really fun and when it all come together, you'll feel like a genius. The Co-op is the best I've seen, you actually have to cooperate in these puzzles and Valve gives you a very efficient way of doing so. The ping system is very smooth and also includes some fun gestures you can do as you finish a puzzle with glee. This game has so much potential, it's a masterpiece that should go down in history. Expand
  68. Nov 22, 2015
    What can I say about this game... Beautiful, I have ended this game like 3 times at least, this game has a very nice history, good script and it's very imaginative
  69. Jun 23, 2011
    Best Game Summer 2011! This is the game Portal again with a fleshed out Story, New Mechanics, and Incredible Online Functions. Without telling you every spoiler, if you read other reviews and feel concerned with this games length, here is the truth. The Single Player mode is 3x as long as Portal 1. Then add on the Co-Op, that's where all the meat is. This game is worth your buy (especiallyBest Game Summer 2011! This is the game Portal again with a fleshed out Story, New Mechanics, and Incredible Online Functions. Without telling you every spoiler, if you read other reviews and feel concerned with this games length, here is the truth. The Single Player mode is 3x as long as Portal 1. Then add on the Co-Op, that's where all the meat is. This game is worth your buy (especially if you enjoy other Valve games)! Expand
  70. Jul 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Portal 2 is at least as good as Portal, or dare I say it, better! The game is perhaps a bit unbalanced though, the first half or more of the game contains quite easy puzzles and then they're getting a lot harder fast. I really liked that they told the hidden story so to speak, with the old facility underneath it all, it gave depth to the game without being pretentious. Nary a dull moment and the finale was great! Brought a little tear to my eye. ;-) Expand
  71. Apr 19, 2011
    Completed the single player last night and I feel as if I've lost a friend.
    I won't go into detail because one of the best aspects of the game is discovery, both physically as you explore Aperture Laboratories, and in terms of plot as you encounter new characters and elements of the story.
    Completed the single player last night and I feel as if I've lost a friend.
    Some people might not like the middle section, where the puzzles are outside of the 'test chamber' environment, but for me these add a massive boost to the game, since the urge to explore is as strong as the urge to solve the puzzle of how to get from A to B.
    Solving all of the puzzles is a joy... figuring out the solution then experiencing it made me laugh out loud many times. And there's great humour in the script, from Steven Merchant's bumbling Wheatley, to GLaDOS's withering put-downs.
    Replayability is limited to going back and winning trophies you may have missed along the way, which is all well and good except that if you're trying to get the trophy for completing a test chamber in a given time, actually finding that chamber post-completion is a task in itself since you can't just load up individual chambers.
    But I'm not going to mind revisiting some areas, since for now that's the only way you're able to get a puzzle 'fix' without playing the multiplayer.
    I've not done more than a few multiplayer levels, which I went through with my son. They're a great challenge, and I wish I didn't have to wait for someone else to play with in order to get to them!
    Having an early copy meant I couldn't find anyone online to play with, but I suspect it's going to be very frustrating to team up with someone you don't know. And I am pretty sure some players are going to be griefers who just want to wind up strangers by getting their robot character destroyed as often as possible.
    But maybe that in itself could be part of the fun...
    All I hope is that it's not going to be too long before Valve unleashes some single player downloadable content!
  72. Apr 19, 2011
    This is a truly amazing game. I had high expectations and they were definitely lived up to, if not outdone. The new atmosphere is amazing, and the robots have more personality than most human characters. This will be the best game of 2011.
  73. Apr 19, 2011
    Beautiful, puzzling, innovative, all in all just a perfect game that I'm sure I'll be playing for years to come. The PS3 copy came with a code for downloading a large file on the PC or Mac that is labeled portal 2 but all it does is crash. I wouldn't recommend bothering with the code.
  74. Apr 19, 2011
    I love this game. The frame rate is crisp and the puzzles fun and imaginative. People detracting from this game are generally PC fanboys loosing another "exclusive" from their short list. The campaign lasts about 9 hours and the humor is top notch. The humor is not generally for children, and not because of vulgarity, but much like The Office, the humor is just above little one'sI love this game. The frame rate is crisp and the puzzles fun and imaginative. People detracting from this game are generally PC fanboys loosing another "exclusive" from their short list. The campaign lasts about 9 hours and the humor is top notch. The humor is not generally for children, and not because of vulgarity, but much like The Office, the humor is just above little one's heads. I love how the levels really feel to be actively changing as you move through them and the place feels alive. You never forget that you being toyed with. I honestly can recommend this game enough. Expand
  75. Apr 19, 2011
    Pretty pathetic the lengths people will go to trash this game. One or two complaints warrant a 0 score for the game? Complaining about the DLC store which isn't part of the PS3 game? 4 hours in, this has been a fantastic game so far. The new objects, bridges, lasers, gels offer plenty of new challenges. The story in engaging and dialogue is hilarious. Granted, the graphics are a bitPretty pathetic the lengths people will go to trash this game. One or two complaints warrant a 0 score for the game? Complaining about the DLC store which isn't part of the PS3 game? 4 hours in, this has been a fantastic game so far. The new objects, bridges, lasers, gels offer plenty of new challenges. The story in engaging and dialogue is hilarious. Granted, the graphics are a bit dated, but if you let any of these naysayers talk you out of trying this game, you will be missing out on one of the best games released since the first Portal. Expand
  76. Apr 19, 2011
    Talk about a vindictive attack. I registered for Metacritic for no other reason than to help balance the senseless voting of a few limited minded individuates. If you are stupid enough to run through a game like this in 3 hours (not that I believe you can without glitching), than you deserve your sub-par experience. Go back to staring into a strobe light to fry your brain. Single playerTalk about a vindictive attack. I registered for Metacritic for no other reason than to help balance the senseless voting of a few limited minded individuates. If you are stupid enough to run through a game like this in 3 hours (not that I believe you can without glitching), than you deserve your sub-par experience. Go back to staring into a strobe light to fry your brain. Single player play time for me 7.5 hours. Enjoyed every moment. Great writing, acting and overall the ambiance is brilliant. Valve polished every inch of this game (will almost every inch) to a painful shine. While I won't call it hard, it is very satisfying. Looking forward to going through the game again just to see what I missed and pick up a few missed achievements. The biggest downside... Source. You can't help but notice that this game is running on one of the most out dated graphics engines still in modern production. Sure they upped some texture resolution and added a few more reflection effects, but it doesn't change the limited polygon count, and the slow loading times. Valve did great for the limitations of the technology, but longer draw distances would have made some scenes infinitely more epic in their scope. Technically I actually give this game a 8.5, strictly for the technical short comings, but for balance sake I will enter a 10. Expand
  77. Apr 19, 2011
    Valve has created a wonderful sequel to Portal. The enrichment center is alive. There are holes in the ceilings and walls that let the light filter through and plants grow through the cracks. The sounds of birds and crickets give it the feeling that nature has taken over. The graphical detail is much greater than the original Portal and I found myself wanting to explore as much asValve has created a wonderful sequel to Portal. The enrichment center is alive. There are holes in the ceilings and walls that let the light filter through and plants grow through the cracks. The sounds of birds and crickets give it the feeling that nature has taken over. The graphical detail is much greater than the original Portal and I found myself wanting to explore as much as solve the puzzles. Everything about the game is an improvement over the first Portal. I highly recommend it to anyone who is tired of zombies and explosions. Portal 2 is a breath of fresh air. Expand
  78. Apr 20, 2011
    This is a great game...single player and multilayer done great hours of fun for you and a friend. What can i say VALVe just puts another notch in their already heavy belt of great games. well well worth the 60 dollars the gestures you can make with the guests are great and the steam overlay on the system works beautifully. chats come up in the lower right corner just like on the PC andThis is a great game...single player and multilayer done great hours of fun for you and a friend. What can i say VALVe just puts another notch in their already heavy belt of great games. well well worth the 60 dollars the gestures you can make with the guests are great and the steam overlay on the system works beautifully. chats come up in the lower right corner just like on the PC and allow the game to run smoothly and unaffected. The people on here complaining about the graphics must be retarded source still looks great and we ALL know they are not going to release source 2 until half life 3 so the fact you got your hopes up just shows how dumb you really are. Expand
  79. Pep
    Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 was great. I absoluteley loved it, and enjoyed every piece of it. I would recommend this game to everyone I know, and think that spending 50 $ was worth all the money. (10.0)
  80. Apr 20, 2011
    Simply ignore the users giving it a 0 rating, the game itself is wonderful and amazing. It has a great mix of humor, action and puzzles to solve. If people must complain about the price there were numerous sites offering it for as little as 34$ (some gave away gift cards worth up to 20$). It really is far from a disappointment, so what if there is a day 1 DLC that offers new looks for yourSimply ignore the users giving it a 0 rating, the game itself is wonderful and amazing. It has a great mix of humor, action and puzzles to solve. If people must complain about the price there were numerous sites offering it for as little as 34$ (some gave away gift cards worth up to 20$). It really is far from a disappointment, so what if there is a day 1 DLC that offers new looks for your robots..isn't that the same reason a lot of people gave up on TF2 anyways? They aren't forcing anything on you, remember this. The Co-Op has been obviously one of their most cherished pieces of the game, thus majority of the trailers and videos for the game showing the new Co-Op characters and gameplay. It's a whole new game inside of a game. Don't forget they also made the game cross platform, so you can play with people on either PS3 or even the PC! (Plus the PS3 comes with a free copy of the PC version for steam, so why not?!) Expand
  81. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is hands-down one of the best games I've ever played. The story is almost as much fun as the gameplay and all of the dialogue is genuinely funny. I've never played a game that made me audibly chuckle as often as this game does. I wanted to complete the puzzles so that I could hear the next bit of dialogue from all of the characters. Anybody that beat this game's single playerThis game is hands-down one of the best games I've ever played. The story is almost as much fun as the gameplay and all of the dialogue is genuinely funny. I've never played a game that made me audibly chuckle as often as this game does. I wanted to complete the puzzles so that I could hear the next bit of dialogue from all of the characters. Anybody that beat this game's single player campaign in 4 hours their first playthrough has to be some sort of supergenius speedfreak. It took me about 9 to finish, and I'm absolutely sure that time could be improved, but the game is so engaging, rich with detail, and fun to explore, I'd find myself reading many of the posters and pausing to make sure I didn't miss any dialogue. However, I still feel I spent at least 7 of those hours solving puzzles, so whether you care about the story and environs or not this game is still not as short as many people have noted. The puzzles are crafted so brilliantly by the creators that even though the solution may not be initially obvious, you always seem to find the solution, and they make you feel so smart for doing it. I really enjoyed the first Portal and the second installation took the best parts of the first and made them bigger, faster, and more exciting. What more could you ask for in a sequel?
    This is thus far my GOTY pick and if you play video games and value a good single player experience, it would be a shame not to play this game.
    I'm playing through the multiplayer now and have yet to finish it, but the puzzles are just as much fun as the single player campaign, but you absolutely must work together, so I don't recommend playing with someone you may fight with as things can get frustrating when you someone doesn't do their part or even just fires the wrong portal at the wrong time.
    All in all, I feel this game is at least a 95 out 100 for any gamer who likes to invest themselves in their games. It's a near perfect game to me if ever there was one.
  82. Apr 20, 2011
    A sequel greater than its predecessor. Great visuals. Great dialogue. Great gameplay. Online co-op is addicting.

It's totally worth your money to go pick this game up today. Pick up the PS3 version and get the PC version through Steam for free. Steam and PSN integration is hopefully something we see more PlayStation games go to.
  83. Apr 21, 2011
    In all of my years playing video games, and all the different types of games I've played, none of them ever made me want to keep playing more, more than Portal and Portal 2. A lot of people complain that Portal 2 is too short, but from my perspective, it adds more playback value. In my honest opinion, Portal 2 is but a pinch shy from a perfect game. Comparing my experiences with otherIn all of my years playing video games, and all the different types of games I've played, none of them ever made me want to keep playing more, more than Portal and Portal 2. A lot of people complain that Portal 2 is too short, but from my perspective, it adds more playback value. In my honest opinion, Portal 2 is but a pinch shy from a perfect game. Comparing my experiences with other masterpieces such as MGS4, Final Fantasy, and Legend of Zelda, Portal 2 gave me that urge to keep playing and make the most out of it. The only other game that also made me want to keep playing were (the earlier) Guitar Hero games and they didn't even have a storyline back then. So what does Portal 2 bring to the table? A great story, lovable and despicable characters, unique and addictive gameplay, high playback value, a cute almost childish simple sense of humor, and an awesome soundtrack. My only complaint is the fact that the final boss battle could have been a bit more difficult. I found some of the levels much harder than the final battle, and the fact that there are no more cake jokes. I'm not sure if you would call that a spoiler but I don't care. I love the game and I will be playing Portal 2 for a very, very long time. In three words, Portal 2 "was a triumph!" Expand
  84. Apr 21, 2011
    1. If you beat the game in four hours, you should be proud of yourself. Not everyone can beat it as fast as you. Plus there are the co-op missions, which will add at least four more hours for someone with your skill.
    2. You're not being forced to pay for cosmetic DLC so why complain? Every dollar you choose to spend helps the developers.
    3. I think the PC should be able to see through
    3. I think the PC should be able to see through multiple portals.
    4. I will agree that ARG was a disappointment, but that's more of a marketing scheme than gameplay value.
  85. Apr 21, 2011
    First off love the game never played the first but maybe I'll head back now. Anyways I notice how the pc version is one point higher which is not mine concern. What bothers me is that ps3 and xbox version are rated the same even though the ps3 gets a free pc copy and we can play with pc users. Either bring the rating for ps3 up or 360 down
  86. Apr 21, 2011
    A wonderful game that does the original justice while adding wonderful new elements. Do not listen to the trolls, this game isn't 5 hours long or crappy. Not even close to a waste of money.
  87. Apr 22, 2011
    Ingenious puzzles, unique environments, and clever writing combine to make Portal 2 one of the best games of all time. Access to Steam and a free copy of the PC version make the PS3 version of Portal 2 an even better choice.
  88. Apr 24, 2011
    £33 is not much for any PS3 game, never mind one of this calibre. I did finish the single player campaign in a fairly short amount of time but I must admit to having watched the walkthroughs online (mainly for the story, but I did remember quite a few of the bigger solutions). It's a great game, it's just a shame that amazon sent it 2 days late and PSN is acting up, but I will£33 is not much for any PS3 game, never mind one of this calibre. I did finish the single player campaign in a fairly short amount of time but I must admit to having watched the walkthroughs online (mainly for the story, but I did remember quite a few of the bigger solutions). It's a great game, it's just a shame that amazon sent it 2 days late and PSN is acting up, but I will hopefully play through the Co-op on split screen later today. Great game, slightly short but doesn't need to be longer. Not ten as little replay value, blah blah blah. Expand
  89. Apr 24, 2011
    The self-righteous,entitled trolls around here are probably those who played the Valve "ARG" game and thought they'd win a house or something. Don't listen to them. This is honestly one of the best game I've ever played and I've been playing games since the Atari 2600. It's fun, It's clever, it reminded me that there are still people that *care* about making great games instead of ****The self-righteous,entitled trolls around here are probably those who played the Valve "ARG" game and thought they'd win a house or something. Don't listen to them. This is honestly one of the best game I've ever played and I've been playing games since the Atari 2600. It's fun, It's clever, it reminded me that there are still people that *care* about making great games instead of **** them out from the game-o-tron factory.

I am not even exaggerating when I say I laughed more playing this game than I laughed playing all the other games I ever played put together. Yes, it is that good. In fact, this is more than a game. It's an experience. Personally I have a hard time finishing a game these days. I usually lose interest halfway because,well, because game-o-tron factory. This is the only game I ever restarted right after finishing it (with the developer's commentaries of course) because I wanted MORE. In fact ,I want all game developers making a game right now to stop whatever they're doing and play this game. Better yet, playing this game should be mandatory in every game-making courses (or whatever it's called right now). Long story short: VALVe has done it again but BETTER. This is a masterpiece plain and simple. Go play it NOW.
  90. Apr 24, 2011
    Please do not listen to any one who tells you this game is anything less that brilliant, you can easily forgive it for being short mainly due to the fact that is so fun you will find your self passing the single player more times than you feel comfortable with. The voice acting is top notch and it makes me hope to see Stephen Merchant reprising his role in any way possible, not onlyPlease do not listen to any one who tells you this game is anything less that brilliant, you can easily forgive it for being short mainly due to the fact that is so fun you will find your self passing the single player more times than you feel comfortable with. The voice acting is top notch and it makes me hope to see Stephen Merchant reprising his role in any way possible, not only because he captured the character of wheatley brilliantly, but because his character is so lovable i couldn't imagine it any other way. The music is ear-gasmic, so much so it is the only game i would recommend buying the soundtrack. it offers more than any other sequel has ever done before by turning a 2 hour game in to a fully fledged 5 - 8 hour masterpiece with unforgettable characters and amazing gaming moments. you will find your self laughing more than being frustrated by the villains dead pan and hilarious comments. Expand
  91. Apr 24, 2011
    I don't even understand how people are rating this game 0. Lack of content? There are 2 games in this game. DLC? Its so optional its crazy. And has anybody looked at the prices? I'm pretty sure its like a dollar for the things people are rating this game 0 for. Furthermore, when you buy the ps3 edition, you get a free computer version. Also, the game is $49.99 on steam right now.I don't even understand how people are rating this game 0. Lack of content? There are 2 games in this game. DLC? Its so optional its crazy. And has anybody looked at the prices? I'm pretty sure its like a dollar for the things people are rating this game 0 for. Furthermore, when you buy the ps3 edition, you get a free computer version. Also, the game is $49.99 on steam right now. People pay 59 for freaking black ops STILL. FINALLY. If you bought the potato sack, and beat the games and all that junk, you got a free copy of portal 2. How are these the actions of a company that cares only about money?! Expand
  92. Apr 25, 2011
    If you've ever enjoyed a Valve game, then you already know how good Portal 2 is. Every moment is a delight. And just to be clear, the single player campaign is longer than the Portal one by a good few hours, and that's not even considering the co-op. Cheap at twice the price, in my opinion.

On the other hand, if your sole criteria for what makes a good game is how long it takes you to complete it, then you need to reassess your priorities. I'd rather have half a dozen hours of perfection than 80 hours of thinly spread repetitive grind. If you actually managed to come away from Portal 2 feeling disappointed, then you have bigger problems than having just 'wasted' your money on a video game.
  93. Apr 25, 2011
    Portal 2 is a fantastic game. Those who are complaining about the short length (it's about 7-8 hours without rushing) are neglecting to mention that those 7-8 hours are pure excitement. There is never a dull moment. No item finding, no leveling up, no fetch-quests. Without all the fluff common in other games, it leaves an incredibly well-written narrative coupled with mind-bending puzzlesPortal 2 is a fantastic game. Those who are complaining about the short length (it's about 7-8 hours without rushing) are neglecting to mention that those 7-8 hours are pure excitement. There is never a dull moment. No item finding, no leveling up, no fetch-quests. Without all the fluff common in other games, it leaves an incredibly well-written narrative coupled with mind-bending puzzles and jaw dropping set-pieces. Could it have been longer? Sure. But what you get is a fully satisfying experience, and it'll be easy to go back and play it multiple times. This one will be hard to beat for GotY. Expand
  94. Apr 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the best Game, sequel is at least as good than the first one.
    I am just not a big fan of Stephen Merchant voice though.

[spoiler] .
    I still prefer the song from PORTAL
    [spoiler]
  95. Apr 28, 2011
    never played the first so dont know about the sandbox style of the first..and when my misses bought me this game i was not looking forward to playing it(i like to shoot things) but it blew me away and i got addicted!! now if only the psn was working so i can co-op online
  96. Apr 28, 2011
    Well paced, atmospheric, challenging and ultimately rewarding, this game is really excellent. The visuals are stunning, the story is engaging and the overall aesthetic to the game really draws you in to the world. Whoever cast Stephen Merchant deserves a pay rise. Well done Valve.
  97. May 22, 2011
    Great game! Masterpiece by Valve. Good graphics(Not amazing), and good physics. The game features some very funny characters. The storyline is very balanced, and since it follows up the original Portal, its a bit important you have played the original Portal. The single-player storyline might be a little to short, but its still an awesome game. The Co-op game-play, I personally find veryGreat game! Masterpiece by Valve. Good graphics(Not amazing), and good physics. The game features some very funny characters. The storyline is very balanced, and since it follows up the original Portal, its a bit important you have played the original Portal. The single-player storyline might be a little to short, but its still an awesome game. The Co-op game-play, I personally find very very funny. The Steam integration on the PS3, and the free PC version is just great marketing by Valve, and it works flawless. 10/10

An DLC has been announced, with news levels and so on! 10/10
  98. Apr 30, 2011
    This is hands down the best game I have played in a long time. The story was incredible, and if you dont run crying to the internet for walkthroughs, single player is 7 hours minimum. To all those who are complaining about the length of the game, let me introduce you to a company caled VALVE. If you have the PC or PS3 version, steam will keep the game updated with new things, includingThis is hands down the best game I have played in a long time. The story was incredible, and if you dont run crying to the internet for walkthroughs, single player is 7 hours minimum. To all those who are complaining about the length of the game, let me introduce you to a company caled VALVE. If you have the PC or PS3 version, steam will keep the game updated with new things, including dlc. Now while silly things like costumes cost money, things like new modes, and new levels will be released this summer, for FREE. Thats right, VALVE has always continued its support of their games, and more importantly the people who buy them. There will be plenty of new additions, that wont cost a dime coming in the future to MORE than justify the price... so get over it, dont cheat, enjoy the game, and look forward to FREE additional content http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/04/29/free-portal-2-dlc-aiming-for-summer-release/ . Expand
  99. May 6, 2011
    What makes me sad, is the amount of haters hating on this game just because of one little flaw. For example: GlaDOS didn't turn out exactly as I expected her to be so this game gets a 0, or, awesome game, 0. This game is exactly what we all want and a perfect sequel for the first Portal. THe humor is amazing, the characters are funny, and I don't know anyone who didn't enjoy the game.
  100. May 14, 2011
    A true masterpiece of a game that is oozing in quality from start to finish. The voice acting and script are the best of any videogame I've ever played, and the gameplay feels rewarding and continually evolves with new elements and challenges, both in solo and co-op play. It's an incredible experience and you absolutely have to play it. That said, I really think the game is a must rentA true masterpiece of a game that is oozing in quality from start to finish. The voice acting and script are the best of any videogame I've ever played, and the gameplay feels rewarding and continually evolves with new elements and challenges, both in solo and co-op play. It's an incredible experience and you absolutely have to play it. That said, I really think the game is a must rent rather than a must buy. While replay value is there, a lot of the appeal for me came through the storytelling and initial buzz of figuring out a puzzle, which is inevitably lost on a second playthrough. That isn't to say it's not worth the money, but I feel you could enjoy the bulk of the game in a solid weekend. Expand

1. Dec 12, 2011
    Portal 2 continues the original's model, both in terms of gameplay and humor, and reviewing it poses just as many challenges. So let's just get this out of the way right now: Portal 2 is videogame nirvana for the thinking man.
    Portal 2 is an instant classic, a driver of innovation and originality, where everything is far from settled by the law of the bullet, but within the limits of physics.
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    May 27, 2011
    That Valve has been able to imbue so much depth to what is, at its heart, a sophisticated puzzle game proves once again it's not the genre that counts. It's the talent. Combine it with a superb physics-based game mechanic and you've got an experience that defies easy categorisation and can be recommended without reservation. [June 2011 p.67]