Prince of Persia PlayStation 3

7.3

1. MarkD
    Jan 5, 2009
    The main body of the game is a joy to play; Exploring some of the most visually stunning enviroments and scenery ever seen in a game with one of most althletic characters ever is just about as good as it gets. Yes, ther's some issues with the pacing, challenge (you can't die) and the combat that mean this just falls short of all time classic status. However this is still one of The main body of the game is a joy to play; Exploring some of the most visually stunning enviroments and scenery ever seen in a game with one of most althletic characters ever is just about as good as it gets. Yes, ther's some issues with the pacing, challenge (you can't die) and the combat that mean this just falls short of all time classic status. However this is still one of the PS3 games that will make you (and anyone else watching) say "gosh", "wow" the most. Expand
  2. Mar 26, 2011
    Fun but flawed. The graphics are great and the core, wall running gameplay is at times spectacular. However the repetitive, structured level design and broken combat makes this a game i loved at first but plodded through after a couple of days.
    Don't get me wrong POP is a good game but it's not the great game it could and perhaps should have been.
  3. Jan 26, 2012
    Not a fan of this one at all. The reboot to me was a failure. Not sure why its has such good reviews, its very disappointing. Also, with the ending-which I won't say what it is-, you feel as if you wasted all your time with everything you did. Just frustrating and annoying. Main character not likeable. Prefer older versions of Prince of Persia.
  4. Nov 15, 2012
    I've played the Sands Saga and I've also played this Prince of Persia. I enjoyed playing the titles on PS2 but I think a 3games Saga is almost perfect. It was time to refresh things and Ubisoft did it in a Great way with this Brilliant title. It's not much of a challenge to play as the previous ones but it was think that way, it was created make us have fun and I had A LOT playing thisI've played the Sands Saga and I've also played this Prince of Persia. I enjoyed playing the titles on PS2 but I think a 3games Saga is almost perfect. It was time to refresh things and Ubisoft did it in a Great way with this Brilliant title. It's not much of a challenge to play as the previous ones but it was think that way, it was created make us have fun and I had A LOT playing this title. Graphics is astonishing, Environments are breathtaking, Gamplay is Spectacular; both platforming and battles (but there is a lack of them in my opinion), Dialogs are well made and the Atmosphere is Beautiful.
    Ok, ending won't be good for the most but the game last about 10hours; who cares about less than one minute?
    You can love it/hate it, I love it: 10/10.
  5. Jul 1, 2013
    PoP fans can't embrace the changes in their beloved franchise and that's probably the only reason why this game has received mixed reviews from users. Ubisoft's Prince of Persia is a wonderful game with it's unique platforming and a good sense of artistic style that's much similar to EA's Mirror's Edge, another unique game with a wide gameplay environment.

It's time-based combat may be

It's time-based combat may be slower to Sands of Time trilogy, as you fight hordes of enemies rather than one-on-one, but it's a breath of fresh air. Many PoP fans haven't even played the original Prince of Persia, and you can tell because the game itself was a commercial failure, some who do says it's crap because the graphics are dated. Well, that's because it's even more of a classic and the new Prince of Persia's combat system is much similar to that of the original. So why hate on that? Because you're used to the combat system in the Sands of Time trilogy? Who cares? Try something different for once because that's exactly what Ubisoft did.

Fanboys criticize other franchises, such as Call of Duty, for playing it too safe but they wouldn't criticize Prince of Persia if that game were to play it safe simply because it has the PoP IP all over it. The franchise that they love and care about so much that they have to defend it by criticizing other franchise. That, ladies and gentlemen, is called fanboyism and it's getting really irritating this generation. What if it gets worse in the next generation? We can't have that, we just can't!

They suggest that the developers do something different but when Ubisoft does something different with the PoP franchise, they b***h and whine simply because it's not the same. Grow up, kids! Anyway, continuing with the review, it's so surprising how big the open-world environment is since the Sands of Time trilogy's environment isn't that big nor was it known for it.

The boss fights were really intense, with a hint of deja vu. A similar experience to that of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. With Ico, you have a game with a detailed and an expansive environment that looks beautiful as well as rewarding puzzles. The music may be simple and there's little detail in the voice work, but it still manages to create some of the games' best moments. As with Shadow, the gameplay is more immersive and story is more emotional. The score is one of the games' best aspects, especially during the Colossi fights, and the simple landscape design is rich in beauty. If you love PoP, and you have PS2, you'll definitely love Ico and Shadow. To this day, it's still better than Prince.

Prince of Persia's watercolor art is so beautiful and there's just something about it that makes the game appealing to the human eye. That being said, the game is not without it's flaws. The game is way too easy and that's because you can't die, no matter how hard you try. You jump off a platform or you're out of health, Elika, your female companion in your adventure, will save you no matter what. It's great that the game is easy enough for casual gamers to complete but that doesn't mean you have to wipe off any challenge that hardcore gamers might crave for.

Honestly, the only real challenge is finding all of the light seeds. No fail state doesn't mean bad, but it is controversial. While some, especially casual gamers, gets the most out of games that they can easily succeed in, others, especially hardcore gamers, feel that there wouldn't be a purpose if a game has no fail state. You might as well let the game play by itself because in life, you make many mistakes before you can even have a chance of success; you don't get things done by handouts. "When one door closes, another one opens" is a quote that's widely used.

If you're a PoP fan, give this a go. Despite it's shortcomings, compare to Sands of Time and Warrior Within, Prince of Persia is still fun, better than The Two Thrones.
  6. Marina
    Jan 19, 2010
    First of all, let me say I've been a fan of the original PoP series, even back to the SNES so I'm used to the changes the series has received. It comes with good and bad things. I really don't think it's fair to compare PoP to the mainstream series, after all this game was supposed to restart the series, or so to speak. Just go at the game with an open mind. The game First of all, let me say I've been a fan of the original PoP series, even back to the SNES so I'm used to the changes the series has received. It comes with good and bad things. I really don't think it's fair to compare PoP to the mainstream series, after all this game was supposed to restart the series, or so to speak. Just go at the game with an open mind. The game focuses more on platforming, than on fighting. The actual combat takes away a lot of the player's control, but the result is so damn cool that it's kinda worth it. I took a liking to the characters and found the dialogue mostly funny. It takes awhile to get used to the not dying thing, but it makes the platforming more fluid. My biggest complaint is the lack of battles. If you're considering buying this game, you've probably heard that the ending is jacked up (which is true), but don't let that stop you. However, I will say rent this game first and then see if you like it. Similar to Mirror's Edge, this game has a "love it/hate it" reaction. Expand
  7. CR
    Mar 28, 2009
    Horrible game. 1/3 of the bosses require an insane button-mashing sequence that is impossible to some people. Combat is slow and button response is extremely laggy. Combat is really a disappointment after playing the earlier games. You only fight one enemy at a time, and the moves are not smooth and flowing like earlier games. Counter-attacks almost impossible to achieve.
  8. Mar 13, 2011
    i did not like this game at all but there are a few redeming points in it that is why it does not get a 0. first off i will say that i never even finished the game i saw it in the under 10$ bin at EB games and thought i would buy it since i have not played PoP at all and PoP was highly acclaimed on the PS2 and thought i would start with this game and get the trilogy pack when it comes outi did not like this game at all but there are a few redeming points in it that is why it does not get a 0. first off i will say that i never even finished the game i saw it in the under 10$ bin at EB games and thought i would buy it since i have not played PoP at all and PoP was highly acclaimed on the PS2 and thought i would start with this game and get the trilogy pack when it comes out in 2011 but it was a waste of money. graphics are interesting and the cartoon like graphics are different and suit the game but that is the only good thing about this game in my opinion. now for the long list of bad- first i hate the fighting style you only fight one ennemy at a time and when it comes to the bosses it is sometimes really hard to even get a hit in also when you go to finish off most bosses and ennemies you have to do an insane button mashing sequence that took me a couple of times to do before i got it done right. there is also the dialogue in this game they try to hard at some points to be funny that i found it to just be stupid and obnoxous. the story line also left me feeling empty and was one of the reasons i gave up on this game because it is almost always the same thing with the boss battles and the repetitaveness of the game turned it into a chore. i whent into this game with an open mind and even over looked the fighting style of this game for a bit but i could not bring myself to play it any longer and traded it back in for the very small store credit i got for it. stay away from this game it is not worth it and you will not have a fun time Expand
  9. Feb 6, 2014
    The game itself is a 7.5 in my book... but the fact that the ACTUAL ENDING of the game I s contained in DLC is a @#$%! disgraceful customer abuse at it's most disturbing. Go F yourselves Ubisoft.
  10. Nov 22, 2011
    I'm a huge fan of the Prince of Persia series (but not Prince of Persia: Warrior Within) but this game was an absolute disaster! They shouldn't have changed anything, I wasn't at all a fan of the open world and easy difficulty. The difficultly of this game, or lack of, was ridiculous, it was incredibly easy. Unlike previous Prince of Persia games, where you have a limited amount of chancesI'm a huge fan of the Prince of Persia series (but not Prince of Persia: Warrior Within) but this game was an absolute disaster! They shouldn't have changed anything, I wasn't at all a fan of the open world and easy difficulty. The difficultly of this game, or lack of, was ridiculous, it was incredibly easy. Unlike previous Prince of Persia games, where you have a limited amount of chances to turn back time with a dagger, in this one, every time you fall Elika saves you and you get to try again, so you have an unlimited amount of lives! What were Ubisoft thinking? The combat was also extremely disappointing and boring, just like the rest of the game. Don't buy it! Expand
  11. PhilM.
    Dec 14, 2008
    Excellent game - it had only a few flaws. I had a few minor bugs (couldn't access the map after healing an area, couldn't complete the tutorial because the R2 button didn't let me slide down the wall). However, saving and reloading fixed both of those. The only other issue I have is that I wish it was somewhat harder. However, it was a lot of fun and definitely worth the Excellent game - it had only a few flaws. I had a few minor bugs (couldn't access the map after healing an area, couldn't complete the tutorial because the R2 button didn't let me slide down the wall). However, saving and reloading fixed both of those. The only other issue I have is that I wish it was somewhat harder. However, it was a lot of fun and definitely worth the money. I will be certain to replay it. Expand
  12. ChrisB.
    Dec 5, 2008
    Many are saying the game is just too easy... that may be true but if it is the problem is that the designers have succeeded so well at making the controls work that it's hard to make them not work. The difficulty in the game lies not in completing it, the designers want everyone to be able to do that. It lies in finding the harder path through a level, because it looks better and is Many are saying the game is just too easy... that may be true but if it is the problem is that the designers have succeeded so well at making the controls work that it's hard to make them not work. The difficulty in the game lies not in completing it, the designers want everyone to be able to do that. It lies in finding the harder path through a level, because it looks better and is more fun to go that way. It lies not in defeating the enemy, the designers want everyone to win the battle. It lies in wining with as much style as possible. Players I think are missing this point. In a hugely retro urge I think the game might benefit from a score meter. The more difficult the combo you use in the fight the more points you get, the harder the path through the level the more points... this may seem remedial but it seems that gamers are not yet ready to grasp the challenge in a game this playable without having it spelled out for them. Expand
  13. SamuraiSlash
    Dec 8, 2008
    Totally awesome game but not perfect. Played all previous incarnations and feel a certain kinship with ye ol' Prince. Kinda like Batman, he seems to change, personality-wise with each new game but his essence remains intact. While I love the fact that you simply cannot die, it does detract somewhat from that "life or death" experience that keeps gamers on their toes, not to mention Totally awesome game but not perfect. Played all previous incarnations and feel a certain kinship with ye ol' Prince. Kinda like Batman, he seems to change, personality-wise with each new game but his essence remains intact. While I love the fact that you simply cannot die, it does detract somewhat from that "life or death" experience that keeps gamers on their toes, not to mention adrenaline flow. The cell animation effect in the visual department is incredibly bright and colorful and unique. I always say that a game is about the experience and transcending time & space thus propelling one into a higher level of consciousness and here I was not disappointed. The music is fantastic and the sound effects superb. It's a real joy to string together maneuvers that make Spiderman seem lame by comparison. A true sense of inertia triggers down your spine during may high flying sequences. The fighting mechanism is very cool and sophisticated in its simplicity. Mashers need not apply. A simple tap of the correct button in the correct circumstance rewards you with dizzyingly intense rave-like trails of neon abound. The few puzzles aren't exactly going to crush your skull either as I believe the point of this game is to swing, jump,l run, fly, slide, slash and basically maneuver through these jaw dropingly exquisite worlds in a Zen-like state of pure Nirvana. I have thoroughly enjoyed this game because it's FUN. Remember that aspect of gaming? Too often we run out and buy these games and become ridiculously frustrated at time that we forget we're supposed to be enjoying ourselves. Well, the designers kept this in mind and have released a title that should put a huge smile on any true gamer's face. The Prince swings again with smile, grace and a pretty hot sidekick who's constantly saving his (my) ass. Awesome!!! Too bad there's no option to turn off certain textual prompts and dialogue. Made me feel a bit like training wheels that couldn't be removed. And there could've been more enemies throughout instead of only bosses and even then it's one at a time but those are minor complaints to a totally enjoyable overall experience. Expand
  14. anonymous
    Dec 2, 2009
    Sincerely, if it had another name, it would have been a good game for casuals, the only mistake was to put it the name of prince of persia. I think that something similar would have happened if we present borderlands as unreal tournament. It´s not the same, but you know...
  15. TylerH.
    Jan 7, 2009
    I'm split on this game, let me explain why. The graphics are phenominal in the way that there portrayed, very beautiful. Aside from that, when you first begin playing, it is really cool and the dialogue between the characters is well done. But soon, you'll begin to see what I saw (maybe) and get tired of it. The game gets repetitive... to the point where I want to finish the I'm split on this game, let me explain why. The graphics are phenominal in the way that there portrayed, very beautiful. Aside from that, when you first begin playing, it is really cool and the dialogue between the characters is well done. But soon, you'll begin to see what I saw (maybe) and get tired of it. The game gets repetitive... to the point where I want to finish the game but i just dont want to waste the time right when i could be repeating Fallout 3 and still find things i haven't yet found. Basically, your lead to believe your in an open world where you can go anywhere and do anything... wrong again Ubisoft. 3rd game now where your "free roam" environments aren't true to word (farcry 2/assasins creed both were exaggerated). You can select which location to begin, and from there you repeat a few wall climbs over and over until you get to 1 enemy (same enemies you fight throughout). After beating him and repeating a few wall climbs, you face the maps boss, once beaten, you heal the land. Now afterward, the land is healed, and you can collect orbs. Rinse and repeat for the next 20 locatins. The game feels like its missing something. A nice feature in the menu was the ability to chance costumes, but it cant overcome the flaws. I.E. when your trying to turn a crank, it will tend to ignore which direction you tell it to turn and go the opposite. I bought into the hype for this game, and I wish I had learned my lesson from the other over hyped games to date (ex. Haze, Farcry 2 to name a couple). Now this game isn't a complete waste, I do like it, I just can't play it very long and nothing other than its graphics stand out to me or appeal to interest. Worth trying, just rent before ever purchasing. Expand
  16. RoderickT
    Feb 8, 2009
    Is their some conspiracy by Sony to sell more controllers by getting game developers to put button mashing as a major gameplay element? Having to mash buttons to win is such poor interface design, It nearly ruined the game for me completely. What DID ruin the game was finishing it on the normal difficulty level within a day and the dodgy dialogue. The visuals are amazing though and it Is their some conspiracy by Sony to sell more controllers by getting game developers to put button mashing as a major gameplay element? Having to mash buttons to win is such poor interface design, It nearly ruined the game for me completely. What DID ruin the game was finishing it on the normal difficulty level within a day and the dodgy dialogue. The visuals are amazing though and it does bring back memories of my favorite PoP game, Sands of Time. Expand
  17. MohamedN.
    Dec 11, 2008
    As much as Ubisoft has gone far with the improvement in characters, moves, concept art, consistently amazing sound track by Stuart Chattwood, in the new Prince of Persia.... As much as they have been a dissappointment to Prince of Persia lovers with changing the whole story line as well as the extreme downgrade with the prince's combat moves (where r the combos, wall jumps, column As much as Ubisoft has gone far with the improvement in characters, moves, concept art, consistently amazing sound track by Stuart Chattwood, in the new Prince of Persia.... As much as they have been a dissappointment to Prince of Persia lovers with changing the whole story line as well as the extreme downgrade with the prince's combat moves (where r the combos, wall jumps, column spins, etc...). I think if a sequel was made combining the improvements done reusing the older versions' amazing combat moves and story line (at least remotely related), Ubisoft will be able to produce the biggest and most popular action game of all time. Expand
  18. mostafaz
    Dec 2, 2008
    perfect in anyway if u have a great television see the full potential that your television offers because this game is so colorfully beautiful. beautifully detailed designs on the people clothes. to the great storyline that miss with your emotions. to great game play that is not button smashing. this for sure should be in the top 5 of games of the year
  19. JustinM
    Dec 20, 2008
    Overall its a fun game, its a very good looking game as well. Problems I had with the game are that it's combat became incrediblly repetative after a while, the game is easy, and the ending is by far the worst ending that I have seen in a game in recent memory. Rent if you must play this game, but I recomend to stay away.
  20. DavidB.
    Dec 3, 2008
    I've beaten Sands Of Time 8 times. I got my completion time to under 5 hours. I love that game. I wanted to love this one. It's sad to think that if just 1 or 2 buttons had been added that this game would be getting a 9 from me. Having 90% of the actions mapped to 1 button has hurt this game in so many ways. PoP has gone from an excercise in gaming grace to simply a theme park I've beaten Sands Of Time 8 times. I got my completion time to under 5 hours. I love that game. I wanted to love this one. It's sad to think that if just 1 or 2 buttons had been added that this game would be getting a 9 from me. Having 90% of the actions mapped to 1 button has hurt this game in so many ways. PoP has gone from an excercise in gaming grace to simply a theme park ride. The graphics are great, the music is beautiful, the characters fun. Too bad the core elements have been sacrificed. A more complicated control option could have saved this game. It may be better than Warrior Within, but not Two Thrones. At least I can use Sands of Time skins. Expand
  21. JamesCornish
    Dec 4, 2008
    Whilst it is frustrating to retrace levels to get the orbs, the game is still a masterpiece with intuitive gameplay and visuals to die for. Even though there isn't a lot of challenge in the game, if you are willing to give it a chance, prince of persia will be a game that you will find hard to remove from your console.
  22. NeilD.
    Dec 5, 2008
    Quite simply the most fun I've had playing a game in years. The fluidity of the platforming, rather than being dumbed-down, frees you up to string together awesome looking moves - all with a great big smile on your face! The combat is incredibly deep and stylish. The lack of death gives the game a more realistic feel - I've often thought death in games just separates you from Quite simply the most fun I've had playing a game in years. The fluidity of the platforming, rather than being dumbed-down, frees you up to string together awesome looking moves - all with a great big smile on your face! The combat is incredibly deep and stylish. The lack of death gives the game a more realistic feel - I've often thought death in games just separates you from the imersion into the "hero". It's about time you are rewarded for trying that difficult jump or that more complicated combo, rather than being dumped out to a game over screen and an annoting loading time! I also love the conversation with Elika - sometimes cheesy, but often heartwarming and adds depth to the world Ubisoft Montreal have crafted. All in all, close to genius! Expand
  23. Spud
    Dec 7, 2008
    Absolutely amazing, has a great story, combat is a little repetitive but that didn't bother me too much, and it looks stunning, truly amazing seeing a place with corruption turn back into light. the Prince is funny, cracking jokes through the game, although it really had a HOLY CRAP ending. 10/10 and one of the best games i have played.
  24. HowardG
    Dec 9, 2008
    They did it. They took a loved series and gave to a complete overhaul but they didn
  25. PeterT.
    Jan 16, 2009
    An unfortunately poor follow up to a classic game series. The gameplay (and skill level required) has been dumbed down to an alarming degree (it is in fact nigh on impossible to die), the combat is shockingly bad (virtually... I hesitate to say it... RHYTHM ACTION in nature!) and there has been a terrible attempt at humour that fails badly and just ends up making the characters unbearably An unfortunately poor follow up to a classic game series. The gameplay (and skill level required) has been dumbed down to an alarming degree (it is in fact nigh on impossible to die), the combat is shockingly bad (virtually... I hesitate to say it... RHYTHM ACTION in nature!) and there has been a terrible attempt at humour that fails badly and just ends up making the characters unbearably obnoxious and the game a chore to play. Pity because the graphical style is rather interesting and could have been very cool if it was backed by a solid game rather than what we have been presented with here. Pants of Persia: Sands of Crime I am afraid. Avoid. Expand
  26. andret
    Jan 2, 2009
    Graphically the game has a signature that makes it very beautiful to the eyes. And the special effects are astounding. On top of that, there are no glitches whatsoever. The sounds are very deep, the music amazing. I guess the problem is the gameplay. We are very lucky that this game doesn't make you die during all the platforming acrobatics movements...very lucky! In fact it hides Graphically the game has a signature that makes it very beautiful to the eyes. And the special effects are astounding. On top of that, there are no glitches whatsoever. The sounds are very deep, the music amazing. I guess the problem is the gameplay. We are very lucky that this game doesn't make you die during all the platforming acrobatics movements...very lucky! In fact it hides all the problems of control, camera and too tight areas. And those aspects can become frustrating fast. If you don't like jumping and running, stay away from this game. This is a pure platformer with very little else then the story. The gameplay is quite parent with Assassin Creed's platform elements, no doubt about it. The combat system is ok, but maybe too repetitive at times. The story is good and the dialogues are funny, but you can see the end by 10 miles (a bit sad). Overall, this is a quality is there, but the gameplay feels old fast. Only for those who like platforming. Expand
  27. Dastan
    Jan 16, 2010
    If you were a fan of breathtaking wall-running action or environmental traversal and puzzle solving, buy Mirror's Edge or Tomb Raider Underworld, they at least tried to emulate Sands of Time. This game should be avoided by comparision. -Going through the environment is mostly entirely on wall and objects so they removed all analogue stick control. Press the appropriate button for the If you were a fan of breathtaking wall-running action or environmental traversal and puzzle solving, buy Mirror's Edge or Tomb Raider Underworld, they at least tried to emulate Sands of Time. This game should be avoided by comparision. -Going through the environment is mostly entirely on wall and objects so they removed all analogue stick control. Press the appropriate button for the object and a pre-canned animation will play along a pre-determined route. You can not leave the path! -The graphics look rubbish up close, blurry, muddy and have a ugly ink border around everything. From a distance, when things gets healed, it looks better but as you are on rails, you can't get there. It's all just background art. -The combat is just like the platforming, one big quick-time event. Press the right buttons and pre-canned animations will play. No running around or jumping. -The concept is the worst. Run through a linear environment have a fight with 1 of 4 enemies and then you have to run through the linear corridor one or two more times to collect some 1000 light seeds. Then repeat. Because the game is a series of linear paths which you choose to go on in any order, all the levels are the same obstacles, same difficulty, same formulae, there is no sense of escalation or progression. A great dissappointment in a great series. Expand
  28. RobertJ.
    Dec 5, 2008
    There are big differences between this game and the Sands of Time games, but I doubt that anybody didn
  29. HunterWolf
    Jan 22, 2009
    Well .. i can't say i didn't enjoy it .. it is surely and a fun experience and a very interesting change they made to the Prince Franchise, but with that change came good things and bad things, let me sum them up. quickly. The Good: ------------ -Stunning Artistic Graphics ( unbelievably artistic and unique from the beautiful main menu to the last minute, and nothing beats Well .. i can't say i didn't enjoy it .. it is surely and a fun experience and a very interesting change they made to the Prince Franchise, but with that change came good things and bad things, let me sum them up. quickly. The Good: ------------ -Stunning Artistic Graphics ( unbelievably artistic and unique from the beautiful main menu to the last minute, and nothing beats seeing the world transom in real time for the first time ) -Excellent Musical Score ( the music is really enchanting and wonderful, some of the best music soundtracks i heard in a while ) -Character Interaction ( the optional dialogs between Prince and Elika are very fun to hear and make them feel more real and alive ) -Acrobatics and Traveling Mechanics ( mainly 90% of the time you are jumping in the air with no ground under you, its almost like flying .. well you do fly for real too thanks to the new magical-pads system which works nicely ) The Bad: ---------- -The Combat ( messed up, repetative and very generic specially the whole one-on-one affair, yes ... sometimes it looks good when you pull a full combo but in the end it is very frustrating and a down grade from the previous prince game excellent combat systems which mixed enviromental acrobatics and deep combat seemlessly ) -The Open World ( while it is not done very badly it kinda kills the feeling of progression, i don't mind a mid-game fork in which you have a choice between different paths or have the choice to go to a group of places in any order like in Warrior Within .. but not the whole game ) Recommended for Prince enthustiasts ( try to get along with the cranky combat ) and a good buy for fans of the action/adventure genre. Expand
  30. peter
    Feb 18, 2009
    First let me say that I am a huge fan of the Prince of Persia games. that being said this game is WAY overrated. I hated it! I only finished it because I hated the idea of wasting the money more. It's too easy, and very predictable in play, you can't die and the story, especially the ending makes no sense at all. Did I say I hated it? I hated it!
  31. JohnK.
    Dec 23, 2008
    I was really looking forward to this game, as I am big fan of the action/adventure games but PoP is a big disappointment. I do like the graphics and art style of the game, but its basically too repetitive. You do the same things over and over, fight the same bosses, and jump from place to place. After a couple of hours, I was bored. I don't want to say more than this for those who I was really looking forward to this game, as I am big fan of the action/adventure games but PoP is a big disappointment. I do like the graphics and art style of the game, but its basically too repetitive. You do the same things over and over, fight the same bosses, and jump from place to place. After a couple of hours, I was bored. I don't want to say more than this for those who are getting it, but play it and see if you agree. Expand
  32. Apr 2, 2011
    Prince of persia: the sands of time is one the best platformer/adventure games I have ever played and while warrior within and the two thrones werent as good, they still had the awsome platforming and interesting enough story to keep you entertained. The 2008 Prince of persia is something completely different and in a good way. The platforming has changed, the graphics style has changed,Prince of persia: the sands of time is one the best platformer/adventure games I have ever played and while warrior within and the two thrones werent as good, they still had the awsome platforming and interesting enough story to keep you entertained. The 2008 Prince of persia is something completely different and in a good way. The platforming has changed, the graphics style has changed, the story has changed, everything changed. The game has one of the best art directions and graphics i'v seen in a game, only beaten by Okami and Shadow of the colossus. The scenery and landscape are unbelivably beautiful and the game makes sure you'l see the view alot. The platforming is not as smooth as sot's but still flows nicely . The combat is the worst part of the game but it's still decent. Button mashing your way through enemies( one at a time) is a bit repetitive. The game is a sort of sandbox/ platformer hybrid where you get to choose where you go first. The game still feels linear( not a bad thing) but it feels like it has some kind of identity crysis.The game doesnt offer much variety in the gameplay design so you are left wanting more. At times you will be angry at the developers for the obvious gameplay flaws but then when you climb up a tower and then get to see the vast landscape rolling before your eyes most of it is forgotten. To sum up the 2008 pop game: it's a great game that any platformers fan should somewhat enjoy and a game that fans of sot should appreciate as well. Just for the art direction I would recommend the game but it has a nice personality of it's own with a unique story and interesting characters as well. If you haven't played it by now and you crave for a good platformer, this little artistic masterpiece could do the trick, just keep in mind the flaws i mentioned and don't expect it to be what you think it should be and keep an open mind to it's beauty and uniqueness. Expand
  33. Dec 20, 2010
    Prince of Persia, released in the end of 2008 seemed to of slipped under most of peoples radar... Including mine. I have completed Prince of Persia(Sands of Time) on the original XBox, and also played a ton of POP(Two Thrones) on my PC(2007). It seems that this Prince of Persia game caused people some indecision, and I believe it was the new style of graphics they implemented (which IPrince of Persia, released in the end of 2008 seemed to of slipped under most of peoples radar... Including mine. I have completed Prince of Persia(Sands of Time) on the original XBox, and also played a ton of POP(Two Thrones) on my PC(2007). It seems that this Prince of Persia game caused people some indecision, and I believe it was the new style of graphics they implemented (which I think was great) along with the title: Prince of Persia. Who knows how smart the public is... they might think it's like a throwback game to the OG(original) Prince Of Persia or something... not realizing it's a brand new game by Ubisoft who has made all the previous games.

The graphics are great and the game runs at 60fps it appears with no slowdown. The new gameplay elements that go along with the added character are very fun to learn and use, as well as some other new abilities created due to the textures,physics, and environments. Now I know that many people have sort of turned around from linear action games like this, especially when Assassins Creed 1, 2, and now AC Brotherhood are all made by Ubisoft and basically open-world Prince Of Persia style games. I loved AC1 and then AC2 was a solid follow up, but a bit boring climbing all the "viewpoints" just to get an accomplishment.

But this newer Prince of Persia, while not "open-world", is no more linear of a story than Assassins Creed. POP just uses multiple/many big environments to allow specific gameplay with checkpoints, and something that can be a VERY NICE CHANGE from roaming around these open-ended worlds like Red Dead Redemption that are 70% plains and basically nothing. In Persia every single new environment is full of fun things to do, whether its sneak up quietly and silent kill a scout/enemy, get into hardcore battle with 8 enemies at once, control 2 characters at once to get through many of the long jumps and climbing, and so many other things. The gameplay, if on Hard, is really perfect for you. Enemies actually block with their swords and make sword play much more fun, with much more deaths. That's why the quick checkpoints are so great.

This game slid under the radar and is officially my favorite Prince of Persia game (though Sands of Time will hold a nostalgic love because it was the first one I played and completed and spent 20-30 hours on hardcore. I'm still playing this Prince of Persia (about 6 hours in), and so far it's great. I got it for $18 bucks used at GameStop, while it's like 30 bucks new.

THIS IS A MUST BUY FOR FANS OF ACTION/ADVENTURE GAMES WHO MISSED THIS GAME OR OVERLOOKED IT LIKE ME BECAUSE OF THE NEW GRAPHICS.

At a $20 dollar price-tag, it's the best steal of a PS3 game there is. And believe me, an 8.0 out of 10.0 from me means it's great/outstanding. I have yet to ever see a 10.0/10.0 game before, and hope I can. I play on ALL SYSTEMS, including PC games, and this game is just a steal. Ubisoft never releases a bad game. Only great games. I hope this was found helpful to ANYONE that was curious about this game or unsure about it. ALSO, remember GameStop will allow you to return ALL used games within 7 days (maybe 30?) if you buy the "used" version (OMG, used! :) ), so if you somehow dislike it you lose nothing.

A MUST TRY. Download the demo today! Or just run up to GameStop or Target to grab for $20 bucks.
  34. Apr 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great visuals , nice story that can be understanded trough the dialogues, funny , i love elika , but the game is too easy :D The game tested the reflexes but did not give enough puzzles and it was a little repetitive :D
    Overall a must-have !
  35. Mar 8, 2013
    Major issue is that you cant die in this game which takes the challenging part away from PoP, but the world and the atmosphere sure are great. The story is average but the ending kinda sucks. Anyway good game.
  36. Feb 20, 2012
    The 2008 Prince of Persia is quite different from the other PoP titles. Hardcore Prince of Persia players could hate it but some could fall in love with it. It has an unique battle system which is quite a fun actually. At first. After that it comes a little repetitive but still it's a nice idea from Ubisoft. However the game lacks gameplay in it's most critical point: jumping and gameThe 2008 Prince of Persia is quite different from the other PoP titles. Hardcore Prince of Persia players could hate it but some could fall in love with it. It has an unique battle system which is quite a fun actually. At first. After that it comes a little repetitive but still it's a nice idea from Ubisoft. However the game lacks gameplay in it's most critical point: jumping and game controls. It's problem in a platform game. Also there are some issues with the dark thing on the screen (related to story) and some may be annoyed by the fact you can't actually die in this game! This game could be worth to look for some adventure-gamers but not all of them. You could watch gameplay from youtube before buying it, it's not a big risk as the price is very cheap. Expand
  37. May 16, 2012
    This game may not have the greatest story or combat, however, its visually amazing and lots of fun and will keep you playing non stop. Collecting light seeds can be quite enjoyable. This game is for those who enjoy platforming and adventure games. Those who enjoyed the combat part of the other PoP games probably wont enjoy this one as much.
  38. Nov 20, 2011
    If you can play this game for under 10$, it's worth it.

Beautifull locations, some nice gameplay ideas centering around your movement and decently interesting characters. What could go wrong? Well, the simple answer is, any thrill of danger or sense of vertigo is utterly demolished by one thing. You can't die. There are some games where this works. This is not one of them. There
    If you can play this game for under 10$, it's worth it.

What could go wrong?

Well, the simple answer is, any thrill of danger or sense of vertigo is utterly demolished by one thing. You can't die. There are some games where this works. This is not one of them. There is just no reason for you to be even slightly cautious, and the game simply becomes a protracted sequence of moving from A to B to C. I'm leaping over a thousand foot drop? Big woop, I can't fall. I might as well be walking down a road.

Will hold your attention for a good hour, but I suggest playing for half an hour at a time or else you'll begin to not care.

Go for sands of time instead.
  39. Nov 30, 2012
    Visually beautiful but the core gameplay is just not that fun. The game does not have very much in common with the original franchise and is focused more on collecting orbs than combat. The dialogue is also very campy and makes you cringe. Being a big fan of the original franchise, I really tried to love it, but couldn't.
  40. Feb 19, 2017
    I played this game back in 2008 but I had no recollection of it whatsoever, which was a bad sign.
    The game is a MASSIVE step down from it's predecessors. First of all, I like the art style and the music, it's very unique and it's probably the only thing that still holds up. But the reason Prince of Persia hasn't aged well isn't because of those, it's the empty core of game-play.
    I hate
    I hate to say it, but the puzzles, the platforming and the fights are so dull and repetitive that I didn't believe I was playing an actual AAA title. The game feels very unfinished like a Beta.
    The hype and the good reviews from game review sites back in the day are baffling to me. Really? No one picked up that the basics of what makes a game work are completely missing here?
    I wasn't the biggest fan of the previous PoP games, but I liked them, they were fun, with lots of set pieces, interesting fights and very demanding parcour platforming. The platforming in the new game consists of repeating the same 3 actions over and over and over... It gets old very quick. In the older games you had to really search to make your way to the top, but in this game every route is obviously mapped out for you, so there is no mistake where to go.

They changed the fighting system completely, and to be honest it could have been really good, if they actually would have implemented a "system". But it fails in the same way like the platforming: the lack of variety and limited abilities are getting repetitive and you start using the same combo over and over.
    The lack of challenge in those three departments is why this game is no fun to play. And I'm not talking about diffuculty, it's more about the lack of learning skills that you can then use to beat the boss or reach a different area in the world.
    On my recent playthrough I didn't even bother to finish the game anymore, and I figured why I didn't remember anything about playing this 9 years ago.

The story was servicable first but once you get to the ending it's really pretty bad and it's so frustrating that you don't really want to play it agian. Needless to say, you can't skip any of the cut-scenes, and there are MANY. The game-flow gets interrupted so many times, that it killed any momentum it builds up. The 'chemistry' between the protagonists are just basic cliche banter which is tedious since every banter turns into a mini-cut-scene, which again: you can't skip it.
    I think Uncharted had a huge influence on this game, you have the same sacrifices of actual game-play for mediocre story and cinematic presentation. The jumping sections are also predetermined and unchallenging like in Uncharted. It's a shame how much talent, money and potential have been wasted, and there's probably a reason why there never was a follow-up to this reboot.
  41. Apr 11, 2016
    The main body of the game is a joy to play; Exploring some of the most visually stunning enviroments and scenery ever seen in a game with one of most althletic characters ever is just about as good as it gets. Yes, ther's some issues with the pacing, challenge (you can't die) and the combat that mean this just falls short of all time classic status. However this is still one of the PS3The main body of the game is a joy to play; Exploring some of the most visually stunning enviroments and scenery ever seen in a game with one of most althletic characters ever is just about as good as it gets. Yes, ther's some issues with the pacing, challenge (you can't die) and the combat that mean this just falls short of all time classic status. However this is still one of the PS3 games that will make you (and anyone else watching) say "gosh", "wow" the most Expand
  42. Nov 19, 2013
    La verdad es un gran juego, a pesar de que no es de mi estilo, me logro enganchar, un diseño gráfico muy bonito, engancha desde el principio, un juego a tener muy en cuenta, el personaje se mueve muy bien, la verdad esta todo en este apartado estupendo. Si eres fan de la saga, debes jugarlo, es mas, es primordial que lo juegues o te arrepentirás, porque es un juegazo, bueno, a parte deLa verdad es un gran juego, a pesar de que no es de mi estilo, me logro enganchar, un diseño gráfico muy bonito, engancha desde el principio, un juego a tener muy en cuenta, el personaje se mueve muy bien, la verdad esta todo en este apartado estupendo. Si eres fan de la saga, debes jugarlo, es mas, es primordial que lo juegues o te arrepentirás, porque es un juegazo, bueno, a parte de esto, el mapa, el mundo y la trama son excelentes, un juegazo sin ninguna duda, lo recomiendo. Expand
  43. Jan 31, 2015
    A departure from the gameplay of the main series; puts more of a focus on acrobatics and combat is one-on-one and combo-based. Fun game with great story, you'll enjoy this even if you're not a fan of other PoP games. The DLC epilogue is overpriced.
  44. May 2, 2015
    Prince Of Persia creates a beautiful world, and offers a real sense of wonder, as well as fantastic exploration opportunities. Aside from combat and camera issues, this is fun and a return to form for the prince.
  45. Dec 31, 2016
    The game is fun but the story is nothing to write home about.The characters are inconsistent and the dialogue isn't as well written as in Sands of time.But the gameplay is very good.The platforming flows amazingly and is very addicting.The combat sucks,though.it pretty much amounts to repeating the same combos till the enemy drops.The boss fights get recycled too much.Though,they can beThe game is fun but the story is nothing to write home about.The characters are inconsistent and the dialogue isn't as well written as in Sands of time.But the gameplay is very good.The platforming flows amazingly and is very addicting.The combat sucks,though.it pretty much amounts to repeating the same combos till the enemy drops.The boss fights get recycled too much.Though,they can be very creative,which is why I didn't mind it that much.The levels are also as creative.There's a lot of variety in the level design so that platforming around the gorgeous cel-shaded scenery never gets old.One last thing I have to mention is that this is one of the few games that has the idea of how to make a proper 3D metroidvania game.I hope we see another game like this. Expand

It has its shortcomings, but I already sense that Prince of Persia will be one of the few games from this generation that I carry with me for the next decade.
    Ubisoft has delivered an incredibly polished, tremendously enjoyable and utterly lovable experience here. It takes all the best elements of previous franchise entries then expands and refines them to create an absolutely unforgettable adventure. It’s magical in every sense of the word.
  3. GamePro
    All told, this is a great debut for the Prince of Persia series on the PS3 and Xbox 360. [Jan 2009, p.74]