7.3

1. Nov 15, 2012
    I've played the Sands Saga and I've also played this Prince of Persia. I enjoyed playing the titles on PS2 but I think a 3games Saga is almost perfect. It was time to refresh things and Ubisoft did it in a Great way with this Brilliant title. It's not much of a challenge to play as the previous ones but it was think that way, it was created make us have fun and I had A LOT playing this title. Graphics is astonishing, Environments are breathtaking, Gamplay is Spectacular; both platforming and battles (but there is a lack of them in my opinion), Dialogs are well made and the Atmosphere is Beautiful.
    Ok, ending won't be good for the most but the game last about 10hours; who cares about less than one minute?
    You can love it/hate it, I love it: 10/10.
  2. Apr 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great visuals , nice story that can be understanded trough the dialogues, funny , i love elika , but the game is too easy :D The game tested the reflexes but did not give enough puzzles and it was a little repetitive :D
    Overall a must-have !
  3. Jul 1, 2013
    PoP fans can't embrace the changes in their beloved franchise and that's probably the only reason why this game has received mixed reviews from users. Ubisoft's Prince of Persia is a wonderful game with it's unique platforming and a good sense of artistic style that's much similar to EA's Mirror's Edge, another unique game with a wide gameplay environment.

It's time-based combat may be
    slower to Sands of Time trilogy, as you fight hordes of enemies rather than one-on-one, but it's a breath of fresh air. Many PoP fans haven't even played the original Prince of Persia, and you can tell because the game itself was a commercial failure, some who do says it's crap because the graphics are dated. Well, that's because it's even more of a classic and the new Prince of Persia's combat system is much similar to that of the original. So why hate on that? Because you're used to the combat system in the Sands of Time trilogy? Who cares? Try something different for once because that's exactly what Ubisoft did.

Fanboys criticize other franchises, such as Call of Duty, for playing it too safe but they wouldn't criticize Prince of Persia if that game were to play it safe simply because it has the PoP IP all over it. The franchise that they love and care about so much that they have to defend it by criticizing other franchise. That, ladies and gentlemen, is called fanboyism and it's getting really irritating this generation. What if it gets worse in the next generation? We can't have that, we just can't!

They suggest that the developers do something different but when Ubisoft does something different with the PoP franchise, they b***h and whine simply because it's not the same. Grow up, kids! Anyway, continuing with the review, it's so surprising how big the open-world environment is since the Sands of Time trilogy's environment isn't that big nor was it known for it.

The boss fights were really intense, with a hint of deja vu. A similar experience to that of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. With Ico, you have a game with a detailed and an expansive environment that looks beautiful as well as rewarding puzzles. The music may be simple and there's little detail in the voice work, but it still manages to create some of the games' best moments. As with Shadow, the gameplay is more immersive and story is more emotional. The score is one of the games' best aspects, especially during the Colossi fights, and the simple landscape design is rich in beauty. If you love PoP, and you have PS2, you'll definitely love Ico and Shadow. To this day, it's still better than Prince.

Prince of Persia's watercolor art is so beautiful and there's just something about it that makes the game appealing to the human eye. That being said, the game is not without it's flaws. The game is way too easy and that's because you can't die, no matter how hard you try. You jump off a platform or you're out of health, Elika, your female companion in your adventure, will save you no matter what. It's great that the game is easy enough for casual gamers to complete but that doesn't mean you have to wipe off any challenge that hardcore gamers might crave for.

Honestly, the only real challenge is finding all of the light seeds. No fail state doesn't mean bad, but it is controversial. While some, especially casual gamers, gets the most out of games that they can easily succeed in, others, especially hardcore gamers, feel that there wouldn't be a purpose if a game has no fail state. You might as well let the game play by itself because in life, you make many mistakes before you can even have a chance of success; you don't get things done by handouts. "When one door closes, another one opens" is a quote that's widely used.

If you're a PoP fan, give this a go. Despite it's shortcomings, compare to Sands of Time and Warrior Within, Prince of Persia is still fun, better than The Two Thrones.
  4. Apr 2, 2011
    Prince of persia: the sands of time is one the best platformer/adventure games I have ever played and while warrior within and the two thrones werent as good, they still had the awsome platforming and interesting enough story to keep you entertained. The 2008 Prince of persia is something completely different and in a good way. The platforming has changed, the graphics style has changed, the story has changed, everything changed. The game has one of the best art directions and graphics i'v seen in a game, only beaten by Okami and Shadow of the colossus. The scenery and landscape are unbelivably beautiful and the game makes sure you'l see the view alot. The platforming is not as smooth as sot's but still flows nicely . The combat is the worst part of the game but it's still decent. Button mashing your way through enemies( one at a time) is a bit repetitive. The game is a sort of sandbox/ platformer hybrid where you get to choose where you go first. The game still feels linear( not a bad thing) but it feels like it has some kind of identity crysis.The game doesnt offer much variety in the gameplay design so you are left wanting more. At times you will be angry at the developers for the obvious gameplay flaws but then when you climb up a tower and then get to see the vast landscape rolling before your eyes most of it is forgotten. To sum up the 2008 pop game: it's a great game that any platformers fan should somewhat enjoy and a game that fans of sot should appreciate as well. Just for the art direction I would recommend the game but it has a nice personality of it's own with a unique story and interesting characters as well. If you haven't played it by now and you crave for a good platformer, this little artistic masterpiece could do the trick, just keep in mind the flaws i mentioned and don't expect it to be what you think it should be and keep an open mind to it's beauty and uniqueness. Expand
  5. Dec 20, 2010
    Prince of Persia, released in the end of 2008 seemed to of slipped under most of peoples radar... Including mine. I have completed Prince of Persia(Sands of Time) on the original XBox, and also played a ton of POP(Two Thrones) on my PC(2007). It seems that this Prince of Persia game caused people some indecision, and I believe it was the new style of graphics they implemented (which I think was great) along with the title: Prince of Persia. Who knows how smart the public is... they might think it's like a throwback game to the OG(original) Prince Of Persia or something... not realizing it's a brand new game by Ubisoft who has made all the previous games.

The graphics are great and the game runs at 60fps it appears with no slowdown. The new gameplay elements that go along with the added character are very fun to learn and use, as well as some other new abilities created due to the textures,physics, and environments. Now I know that many people have sort of turned around from linear action games like this, especially when Assassins Creed 1, 2, and now AC Brotherhood are all made by Ubisoft and basically open-world Prince Of Persia style games. I loved AC1 and then AC2 was a solid follow up, but a bit boring climbing all the "viewpoints" just to get an accomplishment.

But this newer Prince of Persia, while not "open-world", is no more linear of a story than Assassins Creed. POP just uses multiple/many big environments to allow specific gameplay with checkpoints, and something that can be a VERY NICE CHANGE from roaming around these open-ended worlds like Red Dead Redemption that are 70% plains and basically nothing. In Persia every single new environment is full of fun things to do, whether its sneak up quietly and silent kill a scout/enemy, get into hardcore battle with 8 enemies at once, control 2 characters at once to get through many of the long jumps and climbing, and so many other things. The gameplay, if on Hard, is really perfect for you. Enemies actually block with their swords and make sword play much more fun, with much more deaths. That's why the quick checkpoints are so great.

This game slid under the radar and is officially my favorite Prince of Persia game (though Sands of Time will hold a nostalgic love because it was the first one I played and completed and spent 20-30 hours on hardcore. I'm still playing this Prince of Persia (about 6 hours in), and so far it's great. I got it for $18 bucks used at GameStop, while it's like 30 bucks new.

THIS IS A MUST BUY FOR FANS OF ACTION/ADVENTURE GAMES WHO MISSED THIS GAME OR OVERLOOKED IT LIKE ME BECAUSE OF THE NEW GRAPHICS.

At a $20 dollar price-tag, it's the best steal of a PS3 game there is. And believe me, an 8.0 out of 10.0 from me means it's great/outstanding. I have yet to ever see a 10.0/10.0 game before, and hope I can. I play on ALL SYSTEMS, including PC games, and this game is just a steal. Ubisoft never releases a bad game. Only great games. I hope this was found helpful to ANYONE that was curious about this game or unsure about it. ALSO, remember GameStop will allow you to return ALL used games within 7 days (maybe 30?) if you buy the "used" version (OMG, used! :) ), so if you somehow dislike it you lose nothing.

A MUST TRY. Download the demo today! Or just run up to GameStop or Target to grab for $20 bucks.
  6. Mar 8, 2013
    Major issue is that you cant die in this game which takes the challenging part away from PoP, but the world and the atmosphere sure are great. The story is average but the ending kinda sucks. Anyway good game.
  7. May 16, 2012
    This game may not have the greatest story or combat, however, its visually amazing and lots of fun and will keep you playing non stop. Collecting light seeds can be quite enjoyable. This game is for those who enjoy platforming and adventure games. Those who enjoyed the combat part of the other PoP games probably wont enjoy this one as much.
  8. Nov 19, 2013
    La verdad es un gran juego, a pesar de que no es de mi estilo, me logro enganchar, un diseño gráfico muy bonito, engancha desde el principio, un juego a tener muy en cuenta, el personaje se mueve muy bien, la verdad esta todo en este apartado estupendo. Si eres fan de la saga, debes jugarlo, es mas, es primordial que lo juegues o te arrepentirás, porque es un juegazo, bueno, a parte de esto, el mapa, el mundo y la trama son excelentes, un juegazo sin ninguna duda, lo recomiendo. Expand
  9. Mar 26, 2011
    Fun but flawed. The graphics are great and the core, wall running gameplay is at times spectacular. However the repetitive, structured level design and broken combat makes this a game i loved at first but plodded through after a couple of days.
    Don't get me wrong POP is a good game but it's not the great game it could and perhaps should have been.
  10. Feb 6, 2014
    The game itself is a 7.5 in my book... but the fact that the ACTUAL ENDING of the game I s contained in DLC is a @#$%! disgraceful customer abuse at it's most disturbing. Go F yourselves Ubisoft.
  11. Nov 30, 2012
    Visually beautiful but the core gameplay is just not that fun. The game does not have very much in common with the original franchise and is focused more on collecting orbs than combat. The dialogue is also very campy and makes you cringe. Being a big fan of the original franchise, I really tried to love it, but couldn't.
  12. Nov 20, 2011
    If you can play this game for under 10$, it's worth it. Beautifull locations, some nice gameplay ideas centering around your movement and decently interesting characters. What could go wrong? Well, the simple answer is, any thrill of danger or sense of vertigo is utterly demolished by one thing. You can't die. There are some games where this works. This is not one of them. There is just no reason for you to be even slightly cautious, and the game simply becomes a protracted sequence of moving from A to B to C. I'm leaping over a thousand foot drop? Big woop, I can't fall. I might as well be walking down a road.

Will hold your attention for a good hour, but I suggest playing for half an hour at a time or else you'll begin to not care.

Go for sands of time instead.
  13. Jan 26, 2012
    Not a fan of this one at all. The reboot to me was a failure. Not sure why its has such good reviews, its very disappointing. Also, with the ending-which I won't say what it is-, you feel as if you wasted all your time with everything you did. Just frustrating and annoying. Main character not likeable. Prefer older versions of Prince of Persia.
  14. Feb 20, 2012
    The 2008 Prince of Persia is quite different from the other PoP titles. Hardcore Prince of Persia players could hate it but some could fall in love with it. It has an unique battle system which is quite a fun actually. At first. After that it comes a little repetitive but still it's a nice idea from Ubisoft. However the game lacks gameplay in it's most critical point: jumping and game controls. It's problem in a platform game. Also there are some issues with the dark thing on the screen (related to story) and some may be annoyed by the fact you can't actually die in this game! This game could be worth to look for some adventure-gamers but not all of them. You could watch gameplay from youtube before buying it, it's not a big risk as the price is very cheap. Expand
  15. Nov 22, 2011
    I'm a huge fan of the Prince of Persia series (but not Prince of Persia: Warrior Within) but this game was an absolute disaster! They shouldn't have changed anything, I wasn't at all a fan of the open world and easy difficulty. The difficultly of this game, or lack of, was ridiculous, it was incredibly easy. Unlike previous Prince of Persia games, where you have a limited amount of chances to turn back time with a dagger, in this one, every time you fall Elika saves you and you get to try again, so you have an unlimited amount of lives! What were Ubisoft thinking? The combat was also extremely disappointing and boring, just like the rest of the game. Don't buy it! Expand
  16. Mar 13, 2011
    i did not like this game at all but there are a few redeming points in it that is why it does not get a 0. first off i will say that i never even finished the game i saw it in the under 10$ bin at EB games and thought i would buy it since i have not played PoP at all and PoP was highly acclaimed on the PS2 and thought i would start with this game and get the trilogy pack when it comes out in 2011 but it was a waste of money. graphics are interesting and the cartoon like graphics are different and suit the game but that is the only good thing about this game in my opinion. now for the long list of bad- first i hate the fighting style you only fight one ennemy at a time and when it comes to the bosses it is sometimes really hard to even get a hit in also when you go to finish off most bosses and ennemies you have to do an insane button mashing sequence that took me a couple of times to do before i got it done right. there is also the dialogue in this game they try to hard at some points to be funny that i found it to just be stupid and obnoxous. the story line also left me feeling empty and was one of the reasons i gave up on this game because it is almost always the same thing with the boss battles and the repetitaveness of the game turned it into a chore. i whent into this game with an open mind and even over looked the fighting style of this game for a bit but i could not bring myself to play it any longer and traded it back in for the very small store credit i got for it. stay away from this game it is not worth it and you will not have a fun time Expand

It has its shortcomings, but I already sense that Prince of Persia will be one of the few games from this generation that I carry with me for the next decade.
    Ubisoft has delivered an incredibly polished, tremendously enjoyable and utterly lovable experience here. It takes all the best elements of previous franchise entries then expands and refines them to create an absolutely unforgettable adventure. It’s magical in every sense of the word.
    All told, this is a great debut for the Prince of Persia series on the PS3 and Xbox 360. [Jan 2009, p.74]