5.0

1. Aug 8, 2014
    Awful. Silly pastel colour scheme. Jagged, blocky graphics. Terrible electronic ambient musix/fx, Sluggish controls. No story. No interaction. No gameplay. Tiny playing area. This is quite possibly the worst 'game' I have every played. But Proteus is not 'a game'. I liked Journey. I liked TotalMiner, Terraria, DokiDoki ......... I dont have any problem with minimalist, unusual or indie stuff. But Proteus is absolutely awful. Some will say its a miimalist game. Its not. Proteus is no more a minimalist game than a blank piece of papar is a minimalist novel. Proteus was one of the free game on PSN this month (Aug 2014), so I played it for a good hour trying to like it - but frankly I wouldn't bother even for 'free'. Expand
  2. Nov 9, 2013
    Proteus offers a unique experience. The lack of conventional 'gameplay' or objectives was a bit hard to get used to, but obviously that's a very subjective experience. I would definitely recommend checking this out if you're into artistic indie games that are not necessarily all about the gameplay.
  3. Aug 10, 2014
    "..." That's my review. Empty. Just like this game. Empty of content and gameplay. As a matter of fact, I don't believe this even qualifies as a game. I'm not sure what it is, but I think game developers are really pushing their creative freedom on this one... in the wrong direction. Last time I checked games have a "plot" and "objective", i.e. something you do. Sadly, this just doesn't cut it. Expand
  4. Aug 7, 2014
    It is not a game. This is the demoscene, but not a game.
    It is...................................................................................... FAIL.
  5. kg1
    Aug 11, 2014
    Absolutely disgusting.
    No gameplay.
    Awful music.
    There is NOTHING in this game.
    Another pretentious piece of s*** walking simulator.
    This is like a resume of part of what's wrong with the industry right now.
  6. Aug 7, 2014
    This game has serious issues. you cannot do anything about it...................................................................................... FAIL
  7. Oct 20, 2014
    I apologize for any mistakes, I'm french and my English is far from perfect.

I played this game thanks to the PS+ subscription but I'll be reviewing it like if i paid its full price as it is no longer free to download. I would also like to add that i like indies ovni (like Doki Doki Universe or Flower for examples) and if i didn't like Proteus it is not because "you can't shoot anyone
    and its bad graphics".
    I personally didn't understand on myself the point of this "game" and that's basically the whole reason this doesn't feel as a game but more as an experience in psychology school : "Here you have that, now what will you do ? We'll monitoring your actions from the other room" should be the only use of Proteus. And finally i hated almost everything in its artistic direction, except the colours, specially the musics that are awful, i was expecting something relaxing and almost poetic but instead it's like a 6 years old child playing with a very old musical software (my girlfriend actually made me cut the sound, that's how annoying it was).
    To conclude i think Proteus has been a very bad publicity for the indie games, a genre that has a lot more to offer than this "almost nothing" of game that will be boring after 15 minutes (personally i deleted the game after 50 minutes "playing"). Not worth the time nor the money.
  8. Sep 24, 2014
    A directionless game without any real objectives. There is a way to progress through the game until you "beat" it, but there's no explanation as to how. For many this lack of any sort of direction will make the game feel pointless, and therefore worthless. However the trophies might be the saving grace of the experience, as they help to give gamers some something to work towards.

Odds
    are you'll have to look up how to get them, because there really isn't any explanation as to how to do so. Once I started digging into unlocking the trophies it really helped Proteus feel more like a game, and less like a semi-interactive experience. Something that saved it for me. Without them all there really would've been to do is explore each season for a bit until it gets boring then move on to the next one until it's over. Not exactly satisfying for many.

Admittedly it is kind of interesting to see what certain landmarks will do at certain times. Certain events only happen around them during certain seasons and during certain times (day, night). Each playthrough takes place in a randomly generated world so it's clear that there's an emphasis on re-playability. However unless you really just find yourself enthralled with the experience there's really no reason to stick around for long. Especially after you've completed all of the trophies.

There is fun to be had with Proteus, but it requires you to sort of make your own. Whether it be collecting all of the trophies or just random exploring there are things to keep gamers busy. However it's definitely not for everyone, and will only be praised by a certain audience. Perhaps this indie game tried to be too artsy, but overall I found some fun with it.
  9. Aug 16, 2014
    Proteus is fun for fifteen minutes and has a few cool graphical moments... But ultimately there is nothing to actually do in the game. No problem for a game priced at 3 bucks, but Proteus goes for 14. It simply is not worth the money it asks for.
  10. Aug 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As most have said this is a bizarre game, but to me in a good way. What most don't understand though is its mysterious. Like when you climb a mountain and find the demonic-like statues in a circle or the awesome rune stone circle at night that speeds up the timeframe and transports you to another world. If you stand still long enough you can start to float all the way up into the sky. I want to know if there's more here, I get a strange sense of wonder and adventure. Sometimes I even get that spooky child-like feeling of "is there something behind me?" or when my controller vibrates for some unknown reason even when I never bump into anything. I loved it, its great for those who want to just let go for a minute. Expand

1. Aug 20, 2014
    Proteus is an interesting curiosity, but it doesn't have enough variety to be at the same level of those indies the players really want. Enjoyable for a few hours, and with some interesting details once the night comes.
  2. Jan 3, 2014
    Proteus is a magnificent experience. Side note is that only a select group of people will enjoy playing this strange, interactive title.
  3. Nov 27, 2013
    Proteus is a game without a clear goal. In fact, we're not sure whether there is a purpose to it at all. You're just wandering around a deserted island, that is generated at random for every new playthrough. Still, in a strange way, Proteus is very satisfying and not just because there are Trophies to earn. It's a bizarre, relaxed experience, though it definitely isn't for everyone.