6.8

1. Apr 26, 2012
    Prototype 2 is a masterpiece of open world destruction! Like killing hordes of zombies? of course you do! The game looks and sounds amazing. I love how many ways there are to kick serious ass! You can be sneaky stealthy ninja type or just a complete beast and charge the obstacles head on. Operate tanks, fly choppers, use tons of weapons or become the weapon. If you like open-worldPrototype 2 is a masterpiece of open world destruction! Like killing hordes of zombies? of course you do! The game looks and sounds amazing. I love how many ways there are to kick serious ass! You can be sneaky stealthy ninja type or just a complete beast and charge the obstacles head on. Operate tanks, fly choppers, use tons of weapons or become the weapon. If you like open-world games, if you want to have god-like powers pick this game up now! Getting a new copy gets you Rad-net which opens up a bunch of mini games that are good-times when hanging out with a bunch of peeps. I liked being Alex Mercer, but Heller is even more bad-ass! Two thumbs up, 10 out of 10! Expand
  2. Apr 24, 2012
    This game is very well done. They have really improved since the last prototype and I got to admit I'm enjoying every second of it. If someone gives this a bad review then something is seriously wrong with u. 10/10 for me. KEEP IT UP RADICAL :D
  3. Apr 24, 2012
    Better than the first in almost every way. If you liked the first you will like this! If you thought the first was flawed with potential, you will probably like it too. If you hated the first, it probably hasn't changed enough to win you over.
  4. Apr 24, 2012
    Fantastic addition to the series. This game is worth purchasing or at least a rental. The combat system feels like it is a major improvement over the first game. The ability to have two different powers activated at the same time is a huge improvement. Enemies will engage is groups when one enemy is attacked even if the other enemy patrols are a significant distance away. Not only will aFantastic addition to the series. This game is worth purchasing or at least a rental. The combat system feels like it is a major improvement over the first game. The ability to have two different powers activated at the same time is a huge improvement. Enemies will engage is groups when one enemy is attacked even if the other enemy patrols are a significant distance away. Not only will a strike team get called all of the enemies in an area will converge on your position and respond to the threat. This was a huge improvement over the first game where you could pick a base apart without anyone leaving the point their feet were rooted at when the fight started.

Movement feels more fluid in this game and the jumping and gliding dynamic no longer requires that you hold the jump button for extended periods of time to get the greatest height out of your jump. I do not know about you but that was quite painful after several minutes of jumping and holding the button.

The only negative I have is that the targeting system sometimes locks on to a target that is the furthest away from you instead of the closest and most dangerous threat. That and there is not a toggle option for the lock-on command now. It is only hold the button to strafe. That is a step back from the previous game but not a deal breaker.

Overall a great game and worth buying.
  5. Apr 24, 2012
    I was enjoying it until my PS3 decided that the blu ray laser wanted to break but yea this game is pretty good. I only played about 1 hour until my PS3 wouldn't read any discs but from the hour, i enjoyed the game and when i get a new PS3, i will continue to enjoy it.
  6. Apr 27, 2012
    Massive destruction..... incredible power.. best of all super villains ever. Prototype 2 puts extremely cool powers in your hand. New York is much better than of Prototype 1 but what I dont like is the Heller. Alex was far too cooler than him.
  7. Apr 25, 2012
    Prototype 2 is just as gory, intuitive and original as the first, but now has a beating emotional heart that the original lacked. Heller's tale of revenge is the centre of this story, and with that in mind, Prototype 2 is brilliant! Perhaps a better sense of controls would excel it to the very top, but Radical has the time to work on it before Prototype 3.
  8. May 7, 2012
    Compared too the first game, this game is great. Compared to other games, this game is still great. The story isn't as strong as I would have liked since there was a lot of hype put into making Heller be an indepth protagonist. But it is really interesting to see Alex Mercer as one of the enemies now. The game play is pure fun. Its something alot of game lack these days, actually just pureCompared too the first game, this game is great. Compared to other games, this game is still great. The story isn't as strong as I would have liked since there was a lot of hype put into making Heller be an indepth protagonist. But it is really interesting to see Alex Mercer as one of the enemies now. The game play is pure fun. Its something alot of game lack these days, actually just pure fun. No grinding, no prestige, just running straight up walls and then elbow drop tanks into oblivion. Expand
  9. May 3, 2012
    i loved it.if you enjoyed the first game and/or the 2 infamous games just don't think about it twice.buy the game and you will enjoy it..i prefer the infamous franchise but this one didnt let me down.the graphics and gameplay improvments is also similar to the infamous series (from 1 to 2)
  10. Apr 28, 2012
    The mechanics of the game have improved 100%. The way you evolve makes a lot more since than the first game. My only complaints are that the story line was kind of short, and the RADNET is being released on a weekly basis. Kinda lame I have to wait a month to get the Mecer skin.
  11. Jul 9, 2012
    Initially, it's the extensive overall improvement on the game's graphics that will amaze you. Afterwards, you'll notice how Blackwatch agents look much better, and that there is more variety in every single aspect of the game. Military base and Infected hives' sizes are now realistic, and feature a wider range of missions and assets. Combat is more brutal, fun and fluid, and the newInitially, it's the extensive overall improvement on the game's graphics that will amaze you. Afterwards, you'll notice how Blackwatch agents look much better, and that there is more variety in every single aspect of the game. Military base and Infected hives' sizes are now realistic, and feature a wider range of missions and assets. Combat is more brutal, fun and fluid, and the new enemies are a welcome addition. What ultimately won me over was the incredible voice acting and the dramatic cutscenes, though the end felt a bit loose. Play this game. Expand
  12. Jun 3, 2012
    i love this game more popular more action alot of zombies the even gas that u can make zombie etc but problem is one thing is that you dont play as alex Mercier

but none the less it best game ever
  13. Aug 8, 2012
    Prototype 2 surprised me. I played the first Prototype and I can say that Prototype 2 has fixed most of the points that dragged the original Prototype down.
    Beginning with the graphics. Prototype 2 took the greatest graphical improvement that I've ever seen in a franchise. I dare to say that Protoype 2 has the best graphics in an open world game (overall city graphics).
    If you played the
    If you played the first Prototype and think the graphics sucks, you'll probably be surprised with Prototype 2's graphics. Only thing that isn't that pretty are the characters models. If you look close enough, you'll see that they're a bit unpolished. But you gotta look from close enough to notice that.
    Other point in which Prototype 2 nailed it, if compared to its predecessor, is the story. Proto 2 continues the story told in the first game, but it's more well written. It's not confusing like first game was. The new main character helps a lot in that matter. James Heller is much more interesting than Alex Mercer was. Heller is a tough son of a **** former soldier and a revengeful father/husband.
    The gameplay was hugely improved, too. It became more smooth IMO. The powers you earn through the journey can be combined in one attack. A counter-attack system was added, trying to aid you against multiple enemies. That not counting the amazing and chaotic gameplay inherited from the first game.
    All I can say is if you liked Prototype, there's not a tiny chance you won't like Prototype 2. I'm giving Prototype 2 a 9,0 because the side missions are a bit repetitive, always sending you to kill a wicked doctor or wipe a Blackwatch base out or collect things that falling helicopters drop.
    Beside that, Prototype 2 is an awesome open world experience, featuring extreme action gameplay, amusing graphics and a nice story.
  14. Jun 5, 2012
    First off, there's a lot more variation. That's what you need in **** aroundy makey super murder-like games, you need many ways to kill someone. In the first one, you had this extremely over-powered, long-ranged whipfist that just made every other super power useless, but in the second one, you do certainly need other attacks to take down different enemy's. You can jump up in mid air andFirst off, there's a lot more variation. That's what you need in **** aroundy makey super murder-like games, you need many ways to kill someone. In the first one, you had this extremely over-powered, long-ranged whipfist that just made every other super power useless, but in the second one, you do certainly need other attacks to take down different enemy's. You can jump up in mid air and either: Slash kill, fisty spike attack, spikey spike attack, blade hammer attack, and the tentacle of death, making the thing you're targeting absorb everything around it and blow up. On the ground you can: smash attach, spinny blade attack, whipping blade attack, pointy blade attack, tiger claw pounce, tentacle of death, tentacle of death without touching them (you grab them then bio-bomb them, it's complicated), grab them and throw them, grab them and eat them, or you can use guns if you're a boring mother ****er who brings his own cutlery to KFC. This is awesome, and makes ****ing about all the more entertaining, instead of having 'we like electric types' for every single attack in inFamous.

Secondly, there is a lot more characterisation and depth towards characters. You're not Alex Mercer any more, no, you're just Alex Mercer in all but name, skin colour, dead family and sexy accent. The story is a lot more straight forward though, you are a Sargent who got his wife and kids killed by Mercer, went to hunt down Mercer, got his helicopter smashed to **** and get transformed into a pile of spaghetti carbonara just like Alex himself. Then you go on to destroy your creater. Come on, this isn't a spoiler alert. Alex Mercer being characterized as an anti-hero is a lost cause, so he just becomes a Saturday morning cartoon villain. And I thought anyone can predict a plot along the lines of 'the bad guy dies'. And the story in the first one went downhill from 'It's about a guy with amnesia'.

The most annoying thing about Prototype 2 is that it keeps trying to take itself seriously. One minute you're grimacing over the death of Father Guerro (Spoiler Alert: Father Guerro dies) teary-eyed and filled with anger and emotional frustration, then the next he sprints up the empire state building, slices 20 soldiers in half and eats a scientist. It does get away with it at some points though. In the first game, Mercer just seemed like a skinny white nerd seeking mass destruction with no evident goal, so it just seemed kinda silly. In Prototype 2 you are a black guy who talks like a cynical badass who eats people for a larf.

Prototype 2 seems all the more sillier when you have to get to the bottom of the Blackwatch nebulous agenda, Blackwatch being the most saturday-morning-cartoon-evil PMC I've ever seen in a game, so evil they might as well be called 'Kitten Stranglers PMC'. You can find these voice notes (Blackboxes) that contain the Blackwatch talking about how much they love to throw toddlers into jet turbines and rub the greasy remnants into their prostate, and you begin to wonder where Blackwatch seem to find this inexhaustible supply of emotionless psychopaths - Liverpool maybe? It just makes it all the more sillier and it takes a fair amount of grinding to do all the //blackwatch missions, especially when you get a mutation upgrade but only have a certain amount of upgrades available for each category and it requires an awful lot more amount of though that just spewing upgrades on a list, getting EP and upgrading them when you need them.

I went into Prototype 2 thinking it would be a knock off piece of **** (BioShock 2) or an expansion pack (Mario Galaxy 2), but it did just about enough to see like an actual sequel rather than an expansion pack. It didn't take any pages from the Crackdown 2 school of ****-about sandboxing, which is to have less features and building your game only on ****ing about, rather than having missions that distract you from realising all you're doing is ****ing about (Just Cause 2). Visually, meh. When you get Heller facing the wall and turn the camera around so you can see a close up of his face, his facial animations would of embarrassed the 5th generation consoles with a pick-axe lodged in it. But flying around at 50 mph, darting through the air, landing on a dime of somebody's baby, you don't need ****ing visuals to enjoy the addictive elegance of transport in Prototype 2. Looking at stuff, what games have been built around for the past few years (Syndicate, Ninja Gaiden 3, Final Fantasy 13), cannot possible compare to running up stuff, jumping onto stuff, and sliding down stuff with pedestrians attached to your shoes.
  15. Jun 8, 2012
    I have both played and watched someone play this game, good graphics better than last game for sure, not crysis but def good, the gameplay is solid,fast and fun, the story can be a bit slow for me, but i'm not dissapointed, what makes this game stand out is the violence, and explosions, good effects, i enjoyed this game and would give it a 8 or higher, only gave burning skies a 10 becauseI have both played and watched someone play this game, good graphics better than last game for sure, not crysis but def good, the gameplay is solid,fast and fun, the story can be a bit slow for me, but i'm not dissapointed, what makes this game stand out is the violence, and explosions, good effects, i enjoyed this game and would give it a 8 or higher, only gave burning skies a 10 because it was getting 0's which is unfair, Collapse
  16. Jun 24, 2012
    STORY:
    Prototype 2 looks like a touching tale but its just a cover up for mind blowing explosions and chaos.
    GRAPHICS:
    Prototype has never been known for good graphics and never will be.
    GAMEPLAY:
    The fast pased fighting is ruined by boring sneaking missions
    VERDICT:
    BUY
  17. Dec 26, 2013
    Got platinum twice for this brilliant game on two systems....what would of made it better is if there were more finisher moves like in prototype 1,overall great graphics felt funnier than even saints row 3 :D would recommend it anyone looking for a chaotic fun time
  18. Mar 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game is awesome. everyone saying it wasn't fun is an idiot. you can have fun just screwing around for HOURS. the game is fairly on easy and normal but go into the hard and insane difficulties and you'll have a real challenge on your hands. the missions rock, the main character, Sgt. James Heller is twice as awesome as the main character of this game's predecessor. plus the thrill of ripping that douchebag Alex Mercer to bits and consuming him was one of the most satisfying finishes in the history of gaming. Expand
  19. Jul 10, 2014
    Prototype 2 follows off where Prototype 1 left off, but this time you play as Sgt. James Heller, hell bent of seeking revenge on Alex Mercer for the death of his family. Yada yada yada, the story makes sense, it’s somewhat interesting and the graphics and damn great for a game that was released in 2012; but what nails me in the head is the gameplay.
    Yes, you feel like a monster. Yes, you
    Yes, you feel like a monster. Yes, you feel like a beast. Yes, you feel like a god. The gameplay, action, fighting, upgrades and sand-box style gives the player utmost freedom; and it’s refreshing (especially for such an oldie of a game!).
    Now, there’s always been the battle between Infamous and Prototype [I think we all know who won ^^ errrr, Infamous: Second Son was released for the PS4], but Prototype 2 is an awesome game that deserves applause and a play (or replay) on your old PS3.
    Whether you're new to the series, or just are after a great game on your PS3, consider this beast.
  20. Jun 8, 2012

1. Jul 9, 2012
    It's a shame that Radical Entertainment doesn't deliver on their grand promises. Yes, this is a fun game, but an uninteresting story, boring missions and rather dull graphics keep PROTOTYPE 2 from topping its predecessor.
  2. In the end you have a sequel that improves upon its predecessor. It's a better game in terms of presentation and content, and if you didn't play the original then you're going to rip through this with a silly smile on your face. We're not sure that it's going to hold your attention though, and that's a shame as Heller's brutal adventures are amongst the best you'll have. [June 2012, p72]
  3. While Prototype 2's story has its faults, the game is nevertheless jam-packed with fun things to do. [July 2012, p.76]