6.8

1. Feb 3, 2015
    This game like the first ones is a clone of another game , prototype 1 is a copies of inFamous 1 and Prototype 2 is Prototype 1 with another number and a clone of infamous 2 BUT not so fun like inFamous series
  2. Jan 20, 2015
    A lot of awesome powers are available here to play with. They, along with the black-and-white, Sin City style cutscenes, show that the developers were trying hard to make the next big superhero game. However the fact that you're doing basically the exact same thing throughout the entire game means that it's not quite ready to compete with the big boys of the open-world genre.

Still,

Still, it's got enough humor (which seems at odds in the beginning with the dark material) and gory action to still be a fun experience. All it asks is that you enjoy the non-stop destruction. Given how awesome the powers at your disposal are it's hard not to. The repetition means that things aren't too impressive, but it never quite spoiled the fun I had with it.

My total score for the game is a 7.5/10.
  3. Aug 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I bought this game after I played the first chapter of this series. I was really disappointed.
    Developer destroyed the amazing game they made in Prototype the first to make it more "mainstream": you are the usual American soldier who destroys everything without any reason (I know you could do it in the first one too, but I want to remind you that Alex Mercer is an EVIL character), fighting to get his revenge because his daughter got lost. Wow, what an innovative storyline.
    There is also the super cool priest who is actually a badass, because he was a terrorist or something like that. As soon as I discovered it I immediately thought this was something made to amaze 7 yers old kids. Just why?
    Apart from the storyline, gameplay is really repetitive: you always have to use your hunter power to find your victim, absorb him and do it again with someone else. Just pay attention to this detail.
    For the last thing... The game ends with you killing Alex Mercer, the original Prototype character, and I see no reason for doing it, after we all loved Alex Mercer, but no, this soldier's coolness must be proved by killing such ana amazing character.
    I would really suggest to avoid this game, made just to earn some money (there's even a shop in it!)
  4. Jul 10, 2014
    Prototype 2 follows off where Prototype 1 left off, but this time you play as Sgt. James Heller, hell bent of seeking revenge on Alex Mercer for the death of his family. Yada yada yada, the story makes sense, it’s somewhat interesting and the graphics and damn great for a game that was released in 2012; but what nails me in the head is the gameplay.
    Yes, you feel like a monster. Yes, you
    Yes, you feel like a monster. Yes, you feel like a beast. Yes, you feel like a god. The gameplay, action, fighting, upgrades and sand-box style gives the player utmost freedom; and it’s refreshing (especially for such an oldie of a game!).
    Now, there’s always been the battle between Infamous and Prototype [I think we all know who won ^^ errrr, Infamous: Second Son was released for the PS4], but Prototype 2 is an awesome game that deserves applause and a play (or replay) on your old PS3.
    Whether you're new to the series, or just are after a great game on your PS3, consider this beast.
  5. Mar 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game is awesome. everyone saying it wasn't fun is an idiot. you can have fun just screwing around for HOURS. the game is fairly on easy and normal but go into the hard and insane difficulties and you'll have a real challenge on your hands. the missions rock, the main character, Sgt. James Heller is twice as awesome as the main character of this game's predecessor. plus the thrill of ripping that douchebag Alex Mercer to bits and consuming him was one of the most satisfying finishes in the history of gaming. Expand
  6. Dec 26, 2013
    Got platinum twice for this brilliant game on two systems....what would of made it better is if there were more finisher moves like in prototype 1,overall great graphics felt funnier than even saints row 3 :D would recommend it anyone looking for a chaotic fun time
  7. Apr 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Loved prototype 1 And I love prototype 2..
    This time around the prototype franchise has improved in places where number one didn't quite make it and unfortunately prototype 2 doesnt quite make it in some area's either, Prototype 2 Looks and sounds better and has some of the most unique and insane abilities and ways to kill people I've seen in any game in recent years..
    this is a game "anyone" can enjoy for many hours, if they love to slay zombies, hear terrible one liners, and feel like a complete badass, then pick this one up..
    My personal favorite thing to do is just zoom around the city at break neck speeds, many good times there..
  8. Feb 7, 2013
    Before I begin I just want to say that I have never played the first game. I watched the recap feature available on this game and did a little research afterwords. But have never played it. That being said Prototype 2 blew me away. The story while not the most original was pretty decent. The gameplay is easy but nonetheless satisfying. I especially liked how the claws and the blade made meBefore I begin I just want to say that I have never played the first game. I watched the recap feature available on this game and did a little research afterwords. But have never played it. That being said Prototype 2 blew me away. The story while not the most original was pretty decent. The gameplay is easy but nonetheless satisfying. I especially liked how the claws and the blade made me feel like I was playing a hack n' slash game (Devil May Cry and God of War being my favorites). The character of James Heller is your typical revenge seeking anti-hero. Personally I feel it fits with this game. The open-world aspects are one of my favorite features. There were times when I just popped the desk in and ran around looking for enemies. So I could either kick their a$$e$, or run away just to see if I could outrun them Expand
  9. Feb 5, 2013
    First of all, the game still suffers from the same problems that the original [PROTOTYPE] game had. The combat is basic at best, as when you hit any character at all in the game, there is no impact whatsoever from them which just feels like you are button mashing and slicing through thin air, even the fist to fist combat has no impact from it. They really need to take a look atFirst of all, the game still suffers from the same problems that the original [PROTOTYPE] game had. The combat is basic at best, as when you hit any character at all in the game, there is no impact whatsoever from them which just feels like you are button mashing and slicing through thin air, even the fist to fist combat has no impact from it. They really need to take a look at Rocksteady’s fighting formula as they know how to make already perfect combat more refined (don’t believe me then go play Batman Arkham Asylum and Batman Arkham City). I also still have a huge problem with the way Heller consumes people, like the way Mercer did in the first [PROTOTYPE] game, all of the obsorbing happens outside the body (which is weird even for the type of game it is). This frustrated me a bit as surely the changes should be happening inside Heller’s body regardless (maybe have his arms and various other body parts rumble or something? It’d sure look better than it all happening outside his body).
    As much as the game tries to get you into the story by planting the whole revenge theme into the plot (like what was very well done with Assassin’s Creed II), I found myself not caring in the slightest about the story and why Heller is out for revenge and why he’s hunting and consuming almost every mission. So if you’re hoping the game has a better story than the original, you are sure to be disappointed.
    I honestly found myself just playing the game to go around and find all of the collectibles scattered about NYZ and doing all of the side quests, because they were fun to do and were a distraction from the story (not to mention, very easy achievements/trophies). That was the main reason that kept me coming back to play [PROTOTYPE] 2, plus gliding about the city and never being in any danger of dying was pretty fun as well. You will never be challenged in [PROTOTYPE] 2 (unlike the original in some cases), even playing it on Insane difficulty (not using the Game mode), I only died once or twice near end. You are insanely overpowered in this game and some gamers may/may not like that. To younger gamers, I think it’ll appeal more, but to gamers who are proper gamers and want a decent challenge, it’s fair to say that [PROTOTYPE] 2 is not the game for you.
    As for the ending of the game (I’m not going to spoil it), but I don’t know where the [PROTOTYPE] we series goes from here (I was saying the same thing about The Force Unleahsed series, but hey why should killing of the main character mean that he/she won’t be in the next game). Let’s just hope that Radical Entertainment take more time with the next installment(s) to the series.
  10. Aug 8, 2012
    Prototype 2 surprised me. I played the first Prototype and I can say that Prototype 2 has fixed most of the points that dragged the original Prototype down.
    Beginning with the graphics. Prototype 2 took the greatest graphical improvement that I've ever seen in a franchise. I dare to say that Protoype 2 has the best graphics in an open world game (overall city graphics).
    If you played the
    If you played the first Prototype and think the graphics sucks, you'll probably be surprised with Prototype 2's graphics. Only thing that isn't that pretty are the characters models. If you look close enough, you'll see that they're a bit unpolished. But you gotta look from close enough to notice that.
    Other point in which Prototype 2 nailed it, if compared to its predecessor, is the story. Proto 2 continues the story told in the first game, but it's more well written. It's not confusing like first game was. The new main character helps a lot in that matter. James Heller is much more interesting than Alex Mercer was. Heller is a tough son of a **** former soldier and a revengeful father/husband.
    The gameplay was hugely improved, too. It became more smooth IMO. The powers you earn through the journey can be combined in one attack. A counter-attack system was added, trying to aid you against multiple enemies. That not counting the amazing and chaotic gameplay inherited from the first game.
    All I can say is if you liked Prototype, there's not a tiny chance you won't like Prototype 2. I'm giving Prototype 2 a 9,0 because the side missions are a bit repetitive, always sending you to kill a wicked doctor or wipe a Blackwatch base out or collect things that falling helicopters drop.
    Beside that, Prototype 2 is an awesome open world experience, featuring extreme action gameplay, amusing graphics and a nice story.
  11. Jul 19, 2012
    ok so this game is fun but if you have played the first game then you are not going to see anything new in the way of gameplay. there is absolutly nothing wrong with this at all and im glad that they kept the gameplay the same because it is just pure fun. i find the story fell far from my expectations especially with all the hype surrounding this game about an in depth story. Heller isok so this game is fun but if you have played the first game then you are not going to see anything new in the way of gameplay. there is absolutly nothing wrong with this at all and im glad that they kept the gameplay the same because it is just pure fun. i find the story fell far from my expectations especially with all the hype surrounding this game about an in depth story. Heller is just an angry person who spits out swears for no aparent reason most of the time and yes he may have lost his family but when the whole story is built on Heller trying to get revenge it just turns into a forgettable action game. another thing that gets to me is (unless it was explained in the 1st game and i just forgot about it) why did Alex Mercer become a villian at no point in this game did it explain why he is the bad guy and it seems like they didnt want to make a new villain so they just made it Alex. another gripe of mine is the length of the story. i finished the game in one sitting of about 6 hours and after all is said and done there is not much re-playability in this game other than searching the city for hidden stuff or doing the missions in the new web of intrigue but those did not interest me because i personally dont like spending too much of my time trying to find collectables. now dont get me wrong i still enjoyed the game very much i just did not like the short cliche action story. the 2 games should be experianced but dont waste your money on it just rent the games and send them back Expand
  12. Jul 9, 2012
    Initially, it's the extensive overall improvement on the game's graphics that will amaze you. Afterwards, you'll notice how Blackwatch agents look much better, and that there is more variety in every single aspect of the game. Military base and Infected hives' sizes are now realistic, and feature a wider range of missions and assets. Combat is more brutal, fun and fluid, and the newInitially, it's the extensive overall improvement on the game's graphics that will amaze you. Afterwards, you'll notice how Blackwatch agents look much better, and that there is more variety in every single aspect of the game. Military base and Infected hives' sizes are now realistic, and feature a wider range of missions and assets. Combat is more brutal, fun and fluid, and the new enemies are a welcome addition. What ultimately won me over was the incredible voice acting and the dramatic cutscenes, though the end felt a bit loose. Play this game. Expand
  13. Jun 24, 2012
    STORY:
    Prototype 2 looks like a touching tale but its just a cover up for mind blowing explosions and chaos.
    GRAPHICS:
    Prototype has never been known for good graphics and never will be.
    GAMEPLAY:
    The fast pased fighting is ruined by boring sneaking missions
    VERDICT:
    BUY
  14. Jun 8, 2012
    I have both played and watched someone play this game, good graphics better than last game for sure, not crysis but def good, the gameplay is solid,fast and fun, the story can be a bit slow for me, but i'm not dissapointed, what makes this game stand out is the violence, and explosions, good effects, i enjoyed this game and would give it a 8 or higher, only gave burning skies a 10 becauseI have both played and watched someone play this game, good graphics better than last game for sure, not crysis but def good, the gameplay is solid,fast and fun, the story can be a bit slow for me, but i'm not dissapointed, what makes this game stand out is the violence, and explosions, good effects, i enjoyed this game and would give it a 8 or higher, only gave burning skies a 10 because it was getting 0's which is unfair, Expand
  15. Jun 8, 2012
    First, I would like to say that Prototype 2 is leagues better than its predecessor. However, that doesn't mean it lacks any issues. Storytelling is still a problem in the sequel and the game tends to take itself too seriously. Heller is just another one dimensional character that uses an unnecessary amount of swear words and is angry all the time. The voice acting has improved but not myFirst, I would like to say that Prototype 2 is leagues better than its predecessor. However, that doesn't mean it lacks any issues. Storytelling is still a problem in the sequel and the game tends to take itself too seriously. Heller is just another one dimensional character that uses an unnecessary amount of swear words and is angry all the time. The voice acting has improved but not my much.That doesn't stop it from being a great time though. Enemies no longer gang up on you in ridiculous numbers which makes it less frustrating. Your powers are also mapped to two face buttons eliminating the need for a weapon wheel. The graphics have improved but the world still feels lacking. If you're looking for a game with a great story look elsewhere, but if you want a great time with loads to do check out Prototype 2. Expand
  16. Jun 5, 2012
    First off, there's a lot more variation. That's what you need in **** aroundy makey super murder-like games, you need many ways to kill someone. In the first one, you had this extremely over-powered, long-ranged whipfist that just made every other super power useless, but in the second one, you do certainly need other attacks to take down different enemy's. You can jump up in mid air andFirst off, there's a lot more variation. That's what you need in **** aroundy makey super murder-like games, you need many ways to kill someone. In the first one, you had this extremely over-powered, long-ranged whipfist that just made every other super power useless, but in the second one, you do certainly need other attacks to take down different enemy's. You can jump up in mid air and either: Slash kill, fisty spike attack, spikey spike attack, blade hammer attack, and the tentacle of death, making the thing you're targeting absorb everything around it and blow up. On the ground you can: smash attach, spinny blade attack, whipping blade attack, pointy blade attack, tiger claw pounce, tentacle of death, tentacle of death without touching them (you grab them then bio-bomb them, it's complicated), grab them and throw them, grab them and eat them, or you can use guns if you're a boring mother ****er who brings his own cutlery to KFC. This is awesome, and makes ****ing about all the more entertaining, instead of having 'we like electric types' for every single attack in inFamous.

Secondly, there is a lot more characterisation and depth towards characters. You're not Alex Mercer any more, no, you're just Alex Mercer in all but name, skin colour, dead family and sexy accent. The story is a lot more straight forward though, you are a Sargent who got his wife and kids killed by Mercer, went to hunt down Mercer, got his helicopter smashed to **** and get transformed into a pile of spaghetti carbonara just like Alex himself. Then you go on to destroy your creater. Come on, this isn't a spoiler alert. Alex Mercer being characterized as an anti-hero is a lost cause, so he just becomes a Saturday morning cartoon villain. And I thought anyone can predict a plot along the lines of 'the bad guy dies'. And the story in the first one went downhill from 'It's about a guy with amnesia'.

The most annoying thing about Prototype 2 is that it keeps trying to take itself seriously. One minute you're grimacing over the death of Father Guerro (Spoiler Alert: Father Guerro dies) teary-eyed and filled with anger and emotional frustration, then the next he sprints up the empire state building, slices 20 soldiers in half and eats a scientist. It does get away with it at some points though. In the first game, Mercer just seemed like a skinny white nerd seeking mass destruction with no evident goal, so it just seemed kinda silly. In Prototype 2 you are a black guy who talks like a cynical badass who eats people for a larf.

Prototype 2 seems all the more sillier when you have to get to the bottom of the Blackwatch nebulous agenda, Blackwatch being the most saturday-morning-cartoon-evil PMC I've ever seen in a game, so evil they might as well be called 'Kitten Stranglers PMC'. You can find these voice notes (Blackboxes) that contain the Blackwatch talking about how much they love to throw toddlers into jet turbines and rub the greasy remnants into their prostate, and you begin to wonder where Blackwatch seem to find this inexhaustible supply of emotionless psychopaths - Liverpool maybe? It just makes it all the more sillier and it takes a fair amount of grinding to do all the //blackwatch missions, especially when you get a mutation upgrade but only have a certain amount of upgrades available for each category and it requires an awful lot more amount of though that just spewing upgrades on a list, getting EP and upgrading them when you need them.

I went into Prototype 2 thinking it would be a knock off piece of **** (BioShock 2) or an expansion pack (Mario Galaxy 2), but it did just about enough to see like an actual sequel rather than an expansion pack. It didn't take any pages from the Crackdown 2 school of ****-about sandboxing, which is to have less features and building your game only on ****ing about, rather than having missions that distract you from realising all you're doing is ****ing about (Just Cause 2). Visually, meh. When you get Heller facing the wall and turn the camera around so you can see a close up of his face, his facial animations would of embarrassed the 5th generation consoles with a pick-axe lodged in it. But flying around at 50 mph, darting through the air, landing on a dime of somebody's baby, you don't need ****ing visuals to enjoy the addictive elegance of transport in Prototype 2. Looking at stuff, what games have been built around for the past few years (Syndicate, Ninja Gaiden 3, Final Fantasy 13), cannot possible compare to running up stuff, jumping onto stuff, and sliding down stuff with pedestrians attached to your shoes.
  17. Jun 3, 2012
    i love this game more popular more action alot of zombies the even gas that u can make zombie etc but problem is one thing is that you dont play as alex Mercier

but none the less it best game ever
  18. Jun 1, 2012
    This was a fun game to play. Pretty much if you enjoyed the first game you'll probably enjoy this one too. I thought the game was a bit on the easy side and it does get kind of repetitive towards the end. In my opinion, it's not really much of a step up from the first one, it's more on the same level than anything else. It's at least worth checking out. I don't regret playing it but IThis was a fun game to play. Pretty much if you enjoyed the first game you'll probably enjoy this one too. I thought the game was a bit on the easy side and it does get kind of repetitive towards the end. In my opinion, it's not really much of a step up from the first one, it's more on the same level than anything else. It's at least worth checking out. I don't regret playing it but I don't know if I'll ever play it again. Expand
  19. May 25, 2012
    prototype2 could be one of my faviorte destruction free roam sanbox game ever it is fun but after playing it and finshing the main story line and th side missions that were very repetetive i didnt see a reason to come back the collectibles offer new mutations and all but what good are mutations there isint a of use for them this was dissaponment i still remeber one of the interviews thatprototype2 could be one of my faviorte destruction free roam sanbox game ever it is fun but after playing it and finshing the main story line and th side missions that were very repetetive i didnt see a reason to come back the collectibles offer new mutations and all but what good are mutations there isint a of use for them this was dissaponment i still remeber one of the interviews that proudcers had whith gamestop promised us by the end of the game everyones heller will be diffrent than the other thats not what happned in the end you have the same amount of powers as annyone that finished the game the only reason i gave it a 7 and not a 6 is becuase of gameplay voice acting wasnt bad but coudl have been better and cut sences are not what you would expect from a 2012 game . thats all i can say thanks Expand
  20. May 10, 2012
    Prototype 2 is a better looking but more of the same version of the original prototype. P2 although still great fun too play does not seem to be no-where near as challenging as the original was. This i think is another case of pandering to the casual gamers while alienating the hardcore of players who supported the original. Even on insane it does not seem more difficult to beat thePrototype 2 is a better looking but more of the same version of the original prototype. P2 although still great fun too play does not seem to be no-where near as challenging as the original was. This i think is another case of pandering to the casual gamers while alienating the hardcore of players who supported the original. Even on insane it does not seem more difficult to beat the missions you just get slower health regeneration. There are actually very few new power upgrades and also a dissapointing amount of new infected enemies with no real infected big boss battles that take 20minutes to beat these have been replaced with infected humans with replica blade arms and such. The only really challenging boss is alex mercer himself as he cheats with animation moves that you cannot block. so you just have to learn the timing and spam your most powerful moves to beat him. Also the challenges that were available in the original from the start. Are this time only available in the radnet edition and half of these are on a timed release. Designed either to keep you playing or a clever marketing strategy to stop you trading the game in after you complete it. Over-all prototype 2 is fun and highly playable but there are not enough new mission ideas, bosses or a strong enough main story. Worth playing but if you dont you are not missing anything. If you still own the original replay that instead. Expand
  21. May 7, 2012
    Compared too the first game, this game is great. Compared to other games, this game is still great. The story isn't as strong as I would have liked since there was a lot of hype put into making Heller be an indepth protagonist. But it is really interesting to see Alex Mercer as one of the enemies now. The game play is pure fun. Its something alot of game lack these days, actually just pureCompared too the first game, this game is great. Compared to other games, this game is still great. The story isn't as strong as I would have liked since there was a lot of hype put into making Heller be an indepth protagonist. But it is really interesting to see Alex Mercer as one of the enemies now. The game play is pure fun. Its something alot of game lack these days, actually just pure fun. No grinding, no prestige, just running straight up walls and then elbow drop tanks into oblivion. Expand
  22. May 3, 2012
    i loved it.if you enjoyed the first game and/or the 2 infamous games just don't think about it twice.buy the game and you will enjoy it..i prefer the infamous franchise but this one didnt let me down.the graphics and gameplay improvments is also similar to the infamous series (from 1 to 2)
  23. May 3, 2012
    Prototype 2 is really a mixed blessing, it's a step forward atleast, perhaps a drunken step but still... The graphics has improved (duh) and it looks actually pretty good until you get to the so called "Red Zone". That part felt really bland after having fun in the first two zones which had gotten alot of care and attention while the last zone was more or less a direct copy of the map fromPrototype 2 is really a mixed blessing, it's a step forward atleast, perhaps a drunken step but still... The graphics has improved (duh) and it looks actually pretty good until you get to the so called "Red Zone". That part felt really bland after having fun in the first two zones which had gotten alot of care and attention while the last zone was more or less a direct copy of the map from the first game, or a part of it. Still, while the gameplay is still very similar to, well it goes back to "The Incredible Hulk" so while it's not new per say, it still felt fun and fresh. Like the first game, it's pretty repetitive, but unlike the first game, it hides it alot better. I never actually felt like I needed more variety, only later in the game when a certain enemy type kept appearing a bit too often... To avoid spoilers I'll leave it at that. Still, it kept me entertained throughout, that is because it has a bunch of collectibles and side quests. Which is good, because the story itself isn't very long which I noticed on my second playthrough when I didn't want to do the side stuff, it's perhaps 6-8 hours... So I can't say if I'd recommend buying it for the story, no, this game is more for those who enjoy fun parkour and collectibles. Which is somewhat my cup of tea so I'll give it a 7/10, it was a fun game but it could have been better with even more polish. Expand
  24. Apr 30, 2012
    Prototype 2 The best and worst of a Broavision apology Before I do my actual review, I'd like to start out by saying, while this game was in "preorder" Status, a Gamestop employee swore to me several times that Prototype 2 was supposed to be an apology for their terrible first game. I had my fears about Prototype 2, the first game was seriously bad, the graphics were shoddy, the city was aPrototype 2 The best and worst of a Broavision apology Before I do my actual review, I'd like to start out by saying, while this game was in "preorder" Status, a Gamestop employee swore to me several times that Prototype 2 was supposed to be an apology for their terrible first game. I had my fears about Prototype 2, the first game was seriously bad, the graphics were shoddy, the city was a very generic mass of... crap.... the storyline was utterly confusing and in shambles... the entire game was just bad... BUT... it had potential... and Prototype 2 surprisingly built on everything good, while trying it's hardest to scale back the bad.... PT2 is a game based on that of super heroes, and two super entities stand out the most whenever I play this game, Venom and the Hulk... Venoms ability to morph himself, and spread himself into everything and the Hulks speed, and jumping combine to make PT 1&2 heroes Alex Mercer and James Heller respectively... In the first game this was a very awkward combination, where movement and fighting were two very different things the only thing you could do was jump... However in the second game, it's a lot more fluid, the two entities of attacking and moving seem to flow better... Still shoddy camera angles plague this entire game... so much so, that I died several times, because I had no idea what was going on, where the enemy was, or where I was shooting... the game Tried to fix this with a lackluster targeting system... Camera angles... They're important... The story line is terrible... there are so many twists and turns, broken scenes and poor character development, that I really want to try to forget it... kind of like that one night in highschool... I felt like M. Night Shamalayns Mentally unstable brother wrote this script... it's just awful... not to mention the cussing... There was enough cussing to last a life time.... James Heller had very little character development... in fact the only instance of anything near character development in this entire game was when he decided NOT to cuss... I mean kill someone... He always cuss' DO NOT BUY THIS GAME FOR THE STORY The action in this game is fast paced, bloody as hell and pretty awesome, with a skill tree similar to the previous game, you get upgrades based on, leveling up, certain enemies you kill, and "sub" missions, which can take awhile to finish... The difficulty of this game is almost nonexistent... I mean that by, the hardest boss in this game is the camera angle... (Damn you) Prototype 2 is a bloody awesome game... after you unlock all of Mr. Heller's personal armory, you can go on rampages, be nearly invincible, or you can covertly sneak your way through the entire game... while it would seem this is a very mixed game, it's really not... but the controls have been streamlined for maximum fun TL;DR If you like to just **** **** up, this game is for you, but honestly nothing about it screams, $59.99, Rent it, or wait till it's on sale or something... 75/100 7/10 3/5 Expand
  25. Apr 28, 2012
    The mechanics of the game have improved 100%. The way you evolve makes a lot more since than the first game. My only complaints are that the story line was kind of short, and the RADNET is being released on a weekly basis. Kinda lame I have to wait a month to get the Mecer skin.
  26. Apr 28, 2012
    Prototype 2 is a true example of fan service based games. It's still Prototype but it's tweaked gameplay remains (with some new cool moves) no less fun than it's predecessor, having tweaked graphics, improved 'story based' side missions, a living, much more fun to explore city then before, making this game (In my opinion) a solid sequel. If you liked the first game, chances are high thatPrototype 2 is a true example of fan service based games. It's still Prototype but it's tweaked gameplay remains (with some new cool moves) no less fun than it's predecessor, having tweaked graphics, improved 'story based' side missions, a living, much more fun to explore city then before, making this game (In my opinion) a solid sequel. If you liked the first game, chances are high that you don't want to miss out on Prototype 2! In the previous Prototype, the city didn't feel like a living city. (as far as a city filth with walking dead can be) What i didn't really like about Prototype 1, was that during the storyline, the more you will progress, the less freedom you will have as the whole city ends up like a chaotic slaughter-field full of infected and armies attacking you from every corner and skyscrapers that look more like cardboard boxes instead of buildings. Since it's an openworld, all of this made the game (for many of us including me) less fun to explore. ^ What i like about Prototype 2 is that this will not return. Unlike it's predecessor the the city is actually fun to explore and feels alive. The city is split up in 3 seperated Zones. You have a Yellow Zone, a triage area full of crowded shanty towns and the poor. What you will find sometimes are some infected, immediately taken down by Black watch. You will hear pedestrians having conversations with each other and feel their pain, children crying in street corners and see how pedestrians will be treated like prisoners by Black Watch. Then you have the non-infected Green Zone, fully controlled by armies and Black Watch troops. A Zone where safety is said to be almost guaranteed. People just live their daily lives. What you will find however are cages with infected and even pedestrians locked up. The Red Zone, the name says it all, is crowded with zombies and infected in every corner. You're in the middle of a war between armies, zombies and Black Watch troops defending their headquarters. You will find cages with pedestrians being locked up by Black Watch who treat them like prisoners. The Red Zone is Manhattan, home of Alex Mercer. The fact that the city feels much more alive and every zone has it's own atmosphere, makes Prototype 2 for me definitely worth having a look at. Storywise Prototype has never been known for it's storytelling and character development. If you're looking for an amazing story driven game, you will most likely be disappointed. However, i do think the whole concept is pretty unique and find the plot pretty interesting, so i really wouldn't call it's story bad. It's just a shame the way the way the story explains isn't all that interesting and the characters aren't that likeable, except for Alex Mercer this time around. In it's predecessor Prototype 1, i personally didn't find Alex Mercer all that interesting. Sure, he had a cool look but i couldn't really care about his personality and he seemed kinda flat. This time around, as a villian, Alex Mercer started to peek my interest! (Warning, SKIP TIL THE END if you don't want to read any spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Spoiler - - - - - - - - - - - - - I like the fact that Mercer makes us believe that he is innocent and explains James Heller (Main Protagonist) that the whole viral outbreak is a lie, and that Black Watch is corrupt. Alex Mercer sees something in James Heller and infects him, giving him similar powers. During the story, you will find out why Mercer has given Heller these powers and that he wasn't the only one having these similar powers. Alex Mercer has infected you giving you (James Heller) similar powers and wants you to work together with him defeating Black Watch. All of this seems like Alex Mercer isn't "the bad guy" afterall until you find out that Alex Mercer isn't actually much better than Black Watch. You find out that he was responsible for the death of his family and has spreaded the infection himself. During the story, you will find out that you haven't been the only one infected by Mercer and you will have to fight your way defeating these people. It appears that Mercer has been recruiting a private army of infected like himself to turn against Black Watch. As you (James Heller) uncover the truth about Mercer and turn against him, Alex Mercer claims you as an un thankful traitor who takes advantage of his power and ends up kidnapping your daughter who appeared to be still alive. By working together with Dana Mercer, Alex his sister you will face your biggest threat, Alex Mercer. - - - - - END OF CONTAINING SPOILERS - - - - - Protototype isn't a revolutionary step forward, but feels like a solid tweaked version that most of the fans will probably love! Expand
  27. Apr 27, 2012
    Massive destruction..... incredible power.. best of all super villains ever. Prototype 2 puts extremely cool powers in your hand. New York is much better than of Prototype 1 but what I dont like is the Heller. Alex was far too cooler than him.
  28. Apr 27, 2012
    When you can't be original, be excessive. Prototype has never excelled in writing, but ignoring the question of how New York has been reduced to bubbling stews of gristle and severed limbs is easy when you can punch a tank until it explodes or taking a running leap over the Empire State building. Prototype 2 is just fun, and a sensible gamer will try not to take it too seriously. AWhen you can't be original, be excessive. Prototype has never excelled in writing, but ignoring the question of how New York has been reduced to bubbling stews of gristle and severed limbs is easy when you can punch a tank until it explodes or taking a running leap over the Empire State building. Prototype 2 is just fun, and a sensible gamer will try not to take it too seriously. A forgettable plot, shallow characters and underwhelming environments can all be forgiven if you just give me enough ways to blow it all up. You won't remember it, but you will enjoy it. Expand
  29. Apr 26, 2012
    Prototype 2 is a masterpiece of open world destruction! Like killing hordes of zombies? of course you do! The game looks and sounds amazing. I love how many ways there are to kick serious ass! You can be sneaky stealthy ninja type or just a complete beast and charge the obstacles head on. Operate tanks, fly choppers, use tons of weapons or become the weapon. If you like open-worldPrototype 2 is a masterpiece of open world destruction! Like killing hordes of zombies? of course you do! The game looks and sounds amazing. I love how many ways there are to kick serious ass! You can be sneaky stealthy ninja type or just a complete beast and charge the obstacles head on. Operate tanks, fly choppers, use tons of weapons or become the weapon. If you like open-world games, if you want to have god-like powers pick this game up now! Getting a new copy gets you Rad-net which opens up a bunch of mini games that are good-times when hanging out with a bunch of peeps. I liked being Alex Mercer, but Heller is even more bad-ass! Two thumbs up, 10 out of 10! Expand
  30. Apr 25, 2012
    Prototype 2 is just as gory, intuitive and original as the first, but now has a beating emotional heart that the original lacked. Heller's tale of revenge is the centre of this story, and with that in mind, Prototype 2 is brilliant! Perhaps a better sense of controls would excel it to the very top, but Radical has the time to work on it before Prototype 3.
  31. Apr 24, 2012
    I was enjoying it until my PS3 decided that the blu ray laser wanted to break but yea this game is pretty good. I only played about 1 hour until my PS3 wouldn't read any discs but from the hour, i enjoyed the game and when i get a new PS3, i will continue to enjoy it.
  32. Apr 24, 2012
    Better than the first in almost every way. If you liked the first you will like this! If you thought the first was flawed with potential, you will probably like it too. If you hated the first, it probably hasn't changed enough to win you over.
  33. Apr 24, 2012
    Fantastic addition to the series. This game is worth purchasing or at least a rental. The combat system feels like it is a major improvement over the first game. The ability to have two different powers activated at the same time is a huge improvement. Enemies will engage is groups when one enemy is attacked even if the other enemy patrols are a significant distance away. Not only will aFantastic addition to the series. This game is worth purchasing or at least a rental. The combat system feels like it is a major improvement over the first game. The ability to have two different powers activated at the same time is a huge improvement. Enemies will engage is groups when one enemy is attacked even if the other enemy patrols are a significant distance away. Not only will a strike team get called all of the enemies in an area will converge on your position and respond to the threat. This was a huge improvement over the first game where you could pick a base apart without anyone leaving the point their feet were rooted at when the fight started.

Movement feels more fluid in this game and the jumping and gliding dynamic no longer requires that you hold the jump button for extended periods of time to get the greatest height out of your jump. I do not know about you but that was quite painful after several minutes of jumping and holding the button.

The only negative I have is that the targeting system sometimes locks on to a target that is the furthest away from you instead of the closest and most dangerous threat. That and there is not a toggle option for the lock-on command now. It is only hold the button to strafe. That is a step back from the previous game but not a deal breaker.

Overall a great game and worth buying.
  34. Apr 24, 2012
    This game is very well done. They have really improved since the last prototype and I got to admit I'm enjoying every second of it. If someone gives this a bad review then something is seriously wrong with u. 10/10 for me. KEEP IT UP RADICAL :D
  35. Apr 24, 2012

1. Jul 9, 2012
    It's a shame that Radical Entertainment doesn't deliver on their grand promises. Yes, this is a fun game, but an uninteresting story, boring missions and rather dull graphics keep PROTOTYPE 2 from topping its predecessor.
  2. In the end you have a sequel that improves upon its predecessor. It's a better game in terms of presentation and content, and if you didn't play the original then you're going to rip through this with a silly smile on your face. We're not sure that it's going to hold your attention though, and that's a shame as Heller's brutal adventures are amongst the best you'll have. [June 2012, p72]
  3. While Prototype 2's story has its faults, the game is nevertheless jam-packed with fun things to do. [July 2012, p.76]