Rage PlayStation 3

6.2

1. Oct 4, 2011
    k well here's one of my highly anticipated games of 2011. i got my hands on rage at 8 pm monday and it is now tues 6 am and i am closing in on the games final hours of gameplay. usually i try not to rate a game w/o finishing it from front to back first but i know that many will wake up in the morning wanting to get an idea of what to expect w/ rage and whether or not you should buy it ork well here's one of my highly anticipated games of 2011. i got my hands on rage at 8 pm monday and it is now tues 6 am and i am closing in on the games final hours of gameplay. usually i try not to rate a game w/o finishing it from front to back first but i know that many will wake up in the morning wanting to get an idea of what to expect w/ rage and whether or not you should buy it or not. I really did not know what to expect and as we know id software is the mother of the fps genre so being a huge fan of doom and quake i couldnt wait to see how they stacked up w/ next gen consoles. I must say that i immediately saw what these mega textures could do from the first moment upon leaving my hatch/pod and it was beautiful how nicely the world came to life clouds,rocks etc but i did notice that it was not perfect and tearing as well as these textures seem to fight it self at times as if saying "engine overload" . but as far as graphics well its hard to argue that it is one of the best displays on console to date, and the tearing doesnt stop the eyes from wanting to see more, lets put it that way. so graphics are B+.. the "wasteland hybrid" atv is the first time you will be in a vehicle and i was a bit surprised at the tight handling and response of the atv and then later the buggy. and the buggy can be raced for upgrades and weapon mods and is actually a fun time behind the wheel. so i cant help but think that this is feeling a lot like borderlands because as soon as i meet the locals after being rescued i am given a mission involving bandits. while speaking on the missions i will say that although its not as tedious as borderlands as far as side quests and looting it also does have that feel of go to point A and then go to B and then back to A, but just not as much of it. and yes some of the npc you meet are wonderfully crafted and designed but the voice acting is either spot on or just way off. but more importantly are the mundane tasks they ask of you, go light some firecrackers, fetch some buggy parts and grab supplies 50 yards from here,so i just wished while spending the time talking to the well made npc's i would get a better story or mission, well not to be found yet. but it does not take away from the nicely designed npc's and the not so nice (usually merchants) you will encounter along the way. the story finally starts to pick up and so do the weapons and different bullets and "crafting". one can craft a grinding lock pick to a turret to a few other"unique" devices which are a fun part of this game, and no work bench needed, just instructions along with ingredients/material. and i found a handful of "mini games" which were a fun spin on gambling and the "eye of judgement" type game was my fav.. 4 guys rolling dice w/ holograms of 3 mutants and a cowboy and the roll decides your how many shots you can have per turn. 5 finger fillet also makes a showing. the guns/weapons felt really good, the sniper rifle actually felt like one and the shotgun which can be upgraded to a grenade launcher,has a few kinds of ammo just like the hand gun and one round can be told from the other w/ being able to feel and see the harder impact or the damage done to enemies. the peasants gun (pistol) can be coupled w/ a monocular which is described as being a peice of binocular "the good half" so you will hold the gun in one while peeking in the monocular w/ the other, pretty funny how it works. but as far as the weapons, well there are just enough. not too many to get lost in the slight changes from one to the next and not too few to crave more or seem like its lacking. just enough to know and feel each one and learn very quickly the guns strengths and weakness. the wingblade is also a very cool 2 bladed boom-a-rang w/ a handle, but will only come back if you miss or just take out an arm or a leg. and if it gets lodged in the enemies head, you can get it back and can also craft them w/ the manual and materials.the enemies are not the most brilliant a.i i have ever seen, but not the dumbest either. they do get harder to fight as you progress but its their body reaction which is awesome, because they react to where and how they get shot or hit. the animations are very nice and funny at times. the sounds and music are not top notch but they are very good, and the sound effects were also down well. but overall i can simply say that there isnt much to speak of which hasnt been done already. i would say refer to borderlands as far as an idea of the style of game this is, i mean its not a bad thing just feels like the same in many ways, only that the graphics and gameplay/mechanics stand apart, the theme is very sim. but that is a compliment in a lot of ways,just felt like i played this game before.the graphics are great and this is where the game shines,and the controls are good but the story lacks and i feel like this is a well made game but one which is too familiar. its worth a play,but not a day1 must. Expand
  2. Jan 18, 2013
    Rage recently entered the $20 (AUD) bargain bin making this one of the best value game purchases available.. Rage is a great first person shooter, that takes elements from all over the place, it isn't quite sure what it wants to be, but does a pretty good job of being a jack of all trades game..
    It looks good, it sounds good, and it plays fantastically, the only reason for a rating below 7 for this game would be people approaching it with 2 high expectations, this a great game, and worth at least a single run through, and for how cheap it is, you won't regret it..
  3. Oct 8, 2011
    I was so looking forward to this game, and of it's technological potential. Unfortunatly the ID tech 5 engine needs some tweaks as I have a lot of pop-up and the quality of the texture overall is mixed. Having a blast with the races though, too bad it's the online thing you can do online (I would've expected at least a deatchmatch and team deatchmatch option). overall just a moderate butI was so looking forward to this game, and of it's technological potential. Unfortunatly the ID tech 5 engine needs some tweaks as I have a lot of pop-up and the quality of the texture overall is mixed. Having a blast with the races though, too bad it's the online thing you can do online (I would've expected at least a deatchmatch and team deatchmatch option). overall just a moderate but mostly enjoyable experience Expand
  4. Oct 4, 2011
    Awesome game! amazing graphics, fun story, racing cars is a cool twist. It's a really great shooter with unique elements that make it different than a standard military type FPS. The graphics are worth the price of admission alone!
  5. Oct 4, 2011
    So many haters. The PC community is the worst. Thankfully I got this on PS3. No lag issues on PS3 and only one disk compared to 360's three. Lot of people complaining about the creator and such, who cares talk about the game. So i'm going to compare this to games I know. Borderlands. So much like borderlands, go to people for quests, go to area, kill guys, go back to person. The missionsSo many haters. The PC community is the worst. Thankfully I got this on PS3. No lag issues on PS3 and only one disk compared to 360's three. Lot of people complaining about the creator and such, who cares talk about the game. So i'm going to compare this to games I know. Borderlands. So much like borderlands, go to people for quests, go to area, kill guys, go back to person. The missions and such are less varied than borderlands but it's also a much smaller game. Its hard not to think of borderlands when playing this if you have played borderlands. Even the car bits remind me. The graphics are like borderlands mixed with photo-realism to make a gorgeous style/setting when the graphics are all loaded in. So far this game has mad texture pop in and it's distracting in large areas. In smaller areas it's much better and looks fantastic. Unlike Borderlands however this is not an RPG. People are comparing it to Fallout 3/new vegas also, this is a FPS people with some RPG elements. Lots of games now have RPG elements and it can't be a crazy awesome RPG by Bethesda because they have been making Skyrim. So compare it the FPS games out there. Much better than most I think. Better setting/story then modern warfare games single player (especially 2) and not far behind black ops. The story is ok yes but what games of this nature (FPS) ever have an amazing story? Until Christopher Nolan writes a game this story is just fine, predictable and cliche but not terrible as people are saying. But it comes down to gameplay and this game is fun to play. I have no idea why so many people are complaining about how horrible this game is or why it seems to be getting spammed with negative scores. Go play G.I. Joe and tell me Rage is a bad game! It has some technical hick-ups but for the most part it runs and plays fine. The quests are about going to a new area and killing people because this is a shooter, you go and shoot things in new areas. What else do you want to be doing? The cars are a nice break and the mini games are fun a couple of times. Haven't touched multiplayer yet as it's only been a day and I have to work too. But I saw too many bad reviews so I had to say I am enjoying this game a lot and I do not feel bad about dropping $60 on it. If you are worried wait a week or more and look online, you can find it cheaper. Glyde/game market $50 right over there -------------------------------------> Anyway giving it a 9/10 because I dislike cry babies who are never satisfied. Not a perfect game but what ones really are and in the end a very enjoyable ride. Expand
  6. Oct 5, 2011
    Graphics, voice acting, controls, mini games, car racing, intense battles, and quests/story worth reading. These are some of the great things I've noticed so far. The fact that the game only lasts about 10-15 hours with doing every side quest etc and a weak multiplayer make me give it a 8/10. It is obvious where ID put their efforts. Funny thing is all these idiots giving it below aGraphics, voice acting, controls, mini games, car racing, intense battles, and quests/story worth reading. These are some of the great things I've noticed so far. The fact that the game only lasts about 10-15 hours with doing every side quest etc and a weak multiplayer make me give it a 8/10. It is obvious where ID put their efforts. Funny thing is all these idiots giving it below a 5(which in NO WAY it deserves) will probably give Modern Warfare 3 a 10. Expand
  7. Oct 5, 2011
    I personally like this game. Graphics are good, controls are good, plot's above average, and gameplay is just plain awesome. Only things I dislike are the racing part of multiplayer; it gets boring very quickly. Also, I both do & don't like the sniper rifle, both reasons are because you don't have to lead your target, its literally point and shoot. While convenient, its unrealistic. II personally like this game. Graphics are good, controls are good, plot's above average, and gameplay is just plain awesome. Only things I dislike are the racing part of multiplayer; it gets boring very quickly. Also, I both do & don't like the sniper rifle, both reasons are because you don't have to lead your target, its literally point and shoot. While convenient, its unrealistic. I would give it a 9, but if you read other comments you realize some people have mistaken this for the RAGE PC page and talk about the issues on PC, therefore I shall give it a 10. Ah, who am I kidding, I'd give it a 10 anyway, but seriously guys, go talk about the PC problems on the PC page. Expand
  8. Oct 13, 2011
    Rage is a very interesting game. It is one of the best looking games to date on consoles and PC. The gameplay isn't revolutionary in any sort of way, but it is extremely fun. Although this isn't one of the best games this year, this delivers one of the most fun fps experiences this year and is a blast first time around.
  9. dpc
    Jun 24, 2013
    Played this when it came out and was underwhelmed. Whoever kept touting the "rpg" aspect of it did a disservice to a game that while certainly not Skyrim, does allow you to upgrade your car and whatnot in a fun way. I picked it up again recently for under $15 and I'm having a total blast a lot more fun for some reason than when I first played. I think because I've done the Fallouts andPlayed this when it came out and was underwhelmed. Whoever kept touting the "rpg" aspect of it did a disservice to a game that while certainly not Skyrim, does allow you to upgrade your car and whatnot in a fun way. I picked it up again recently for under $15 and I'm having a total blast a lot more fun for some reason than when I first played. I think because I've done the Fallouts and Borderlands, that comparison is not as in my face and I'm really enjoying it for what it is. And as a balls out FPS with incredible graphics and gameplay it is a real success. Well worth your time and money. Expand
  10. Oct 9, 2011
    This is some of the best fun I have had in a while with a FPS game. The driving sections are not really needed and don't add anything to the gameplay, apart from breaking up the hugely enjoyable shooting sections. The FPS/shooting parts of the game is where is excels, the weapons make this game an absolute laugh at times, enemies are quick if a little too 'pop n duck' at times. Story isThis is some of the best fun I have had in a while with a FPS game. The driving sections are not really needed and don't add anything to the gameplay, apart from breaking up the hugely enjoyable shooting sections. The FPS/shooting parts of the game is where is excels, the weapons make this game an absolute laugh at times, enemies are quick if a little too 'pop n duck' at times. Story is not really there and it is very linear, but I personally prefer a less open world as I don't like to spend a lifetime within a game.

Given 10 to counter the poor reviews which is unfair. (8)

Recommended.
  11. Oct 19, 2011
    Awesome game! Id software, many thanks for your games!
    This one is awesome! It has a perfect gameplay, a perfect soundtrack, the driving sequence are really cool, the animations are incredible. The only thing i've hated is the texture issues!
    But, who cares, the games is awesome as it is
  12. Oct 5, 2011
    Well so far i will score a 9 , havent finished yet maybe a 10 when finished. This game is brilliant, it's freash and real good fun. dont listen to the negative reviews. The graphics are great although you can tell that its alot for the system to handle. one thing remember to save game on a regular basis. one thing that is annoying is the loading times when you die. Have fun with thisWell so far i will score a 9 , havent finished yet maybe a 10 when finished. This game is brilliant, it's freash and real good fun. dont listen to the negative reviews. The graphics are great although you can tell that its alot for the system to handle. one thing remember to save game on a regular basis. one thing that is annoying is the loading times when you die. Have fun with this game i sure as hell am :) Felicrux : this game has Potenial WTF. this game is brilliant. Expand
  13. Oct 5, 2011
    Fluidity is the first thing I noticed when I played the game. I love the randomness, reminds me of a mixture of fallout3 and borderlands. I am enjoying it very much, I was very shocked to look up the rating after playing the game to see it so low. People, if you have a console that supprts this game, "GET IT".
  14. Oct 10, 2011
    this carries on a trend I am 100% behind, being a move away from modern warfare and tactical ops games. Rage reminds me why I fell in love with shooters 16-odd years ago. its eminently playable, stylistically beautiful, smooth and full of character. the natural evolution of the id pedigree and a bloody fun game!
  15. Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah it might not win any awards for originality, but its sure to win some awards for being downright enjoyable! Only slight gripe with it are the loading times, but you soon forget about that once you start shooting mutants or authority ^_^
  16. Oct 13, 2011
    I dont get it. Reviewers criticize Rage for being not intuitive and repetetive etc.

But games like Killzone 3 or Resistance 3 (not saying that these games suck, i also enjoyed them) or Call of Duty / Battlefield receive overhyped reviews and scores. I mean common, Rage offers: - Races - Open World like gameplay - Superp Shooting - Great enemy animations - Side-JObs - Mini-Games -

I mean common, Rage offers:

- Races
    - Open World like gameplay
    - Superp Shooting
    - Great enemy animations
    - Side-JObs
    - Mini-Games
    - Collectibles - Coop-Multiplayer
    - Crafting (Upgradeable items)
    - Different Ammo-Types
    - Different Cars (Upgradeable)
    - Armor (Upgradeable)
    - Really nice GFX

So what else do you want?!!??!?!?!?!? What did Killzone 3 or Resistance 3 etc. do so significantly better?? If you enjoyed games like Borderlands, Fallout etc. give it a try! 99% That you'll enjoy this game as much as i do right now.
  17. Oct 10, 2011
    This game is like getting 3 games in one. The campaign by itself is fun with a GTA style mission system and great gun play. A little light in the story dept. but most FPS games are so I'm really not going to complain about it. The texture loading is minimal and for graphics that look this good I'm not going to complain as it really has no effect on game play. There are some decentThis game is like getting 3 games in one. The campaign by itself is fun with a GTA style mission system and great gun play. A little light in the story dept. but most FPS games are so I'm really not going to complain about it. The texture loading is minimal and for graphics that look this good I'm not going to complain as it really has no effect on game play. There are some decent upgrades for both weapons and vehicles not to mention you can collect items and create your own stuff similar to games like Oblivion of Fallout. You also get an awesome online Mad Max road warrior style 4 player car combat mode that is really fun and frantic! This mode alone makes the game worth it to me. This is car combat done better than I have ever seen anyplace else perhaps excluding Twisted Metal.

On top of that you get an online two player co-op mode very similar to spec-ops in the CoD series. This is great fun especially trying to beat all the level on the hardest difficulty with a buddy. There is a ton of quality and fun packed into one single game here so nobody should miss RAGE!
  18. Oct 13, 2011
    game is phenomenal... defientely oozes with content, gameplay, modes, graphics. Do everything the game has to offer and it will last you 20+ hours easily. Some of the best vehicles, enemies, AI, and weapons/invetory system i've ever seen.

MP vehicle challenges are a blast, and coop is very challenging.

10/10. Great job id & bethesda!
  19. Oct 7, 2011
    I've been waiting for this game for a long time. Rage is a great game and I don't understand why people are giving it so much **** It's obvious that id spent a lot of time on this game and really paid a lot of attention to detail. The gameplay is just silky smooth with the new Tech5 engine and I don't believe I've played another FPS that has this good of controls. The graphics are justI've been waiting for this game for a long time. Rage is a great game and I don't understand why people are giving it so much **** It's obvious that id spent a lot of time on this game and really paid a lot of attention to detail. The gameplay is just silky smooth with the new Tech5 engine and I don't believe I've played another FPS that has this good of controls. The graphics are just amazing and the detail even made my wife (who hates video games) stand back in awe. The racing sequences are also amazing; reminds me of Motorstorm quite a bit. As for the flaws and my criticism, the texture popping is noticeable but hasn't deterred me from enjoying the **** out of this game. Also, a full map of the wasteland and waypoints would have been a great addition to the game. Other than that, I'm more than happy with my purchase and have been recommending this game to everyone. Expand
  20. Oct 15, 2011
    Man i fell for the hype. What a let down. It a smaller copy version of Borderland. Period. I finished it in 13 hours. COME ON. First was the horrible graphic of tearing screen staring straight at me. AND they said they have done the testing before releasing the game. SURE oh please.
    This is what you get when you design a game for the console first then the PC. Water-down, unplayable, and limited choices.
    Borderland took me 30 to 40 hours because i enjoy driving around looking at the scenery. WHERE THE scenery in this game? Other than the city part, not much.
    I would advise to stay away from this game until they get it fixes properly and added at least to more maps.
    Seriously i got shot thousand of time and I don't need to repair or upgrade up battle suit??????
  21. Oct 12, 2011
    A really enjoyable game. So many great elements to it. The story was compelling although it lost speed towards the end. Beautiful graphics and great game play. It's definitely worth picking up and playing. These people giving this game such low scores obviously have no idea how to properly rate games. This game is not a below average game and should not be getting such piss poor scores.
  22. Oct 28, 2011
    First off, this is NOT an RPG, so for all those who think you're getting Fallout V2.0, think again. Frankly I have to wonder if you've ever played an id game before. I will make it very simple, instead of a cut scene to get you to the next level you have to go talk to someone in town, then drive to the location, finish the level then drive back to town to get another mission... a lot likeFirst off, this is NOT an RPG, so for all those who think you're getting Fallout V2.0, think again. Frankly I have to wonder if you've ever played an id game before. I will make it very simple, instead of a cut scene to get you to the next level you have to go talk to someone in town, then drive to the location, finish the level then drive back to town to get another mission... a lot like how Borderlands works, and other then the setting and the fact you can drive that's where the Borderlands similarities end... this isn't Borderlands V2.0. This is an FPS hybrid, in that in between missions you can go shopping to stock up, play some mini games and do some racing. As to the NPCs and towns, there isn't much of a story, just enough to send you on your way to the next level. But what there is, is done very well, the voice acting is well done, the NPC animations are top notch and there is real nice attention to detail, like NPCs wont talk to you unless they are actually looking at you and will just stop talking if you walk away during a conversation. Also the towns NPCs, and atmosphere, change based on where you are in the story.

You've seen all the complaining about the texturepop, and it is if you 'focus' on it, very noticeable. But this is a case of not seeing the forest for the trees. This is without a doubt the most visually beautiful and immersive FPS environment ever to grace the PS3, add to that great sound effects and the levels in this game are the most alive and detailed I've ever seen... One particular moment that I remember is standing in a sewer level, water is leaking out pipe joints, steams blowing out of other pipes there's a low mist on the water, electrical shorts going off and sound effects flooding my room, you have seehear it to believe it. At its heart this is a pure FPS, and that element's near perfect, from the enemy AI, enemy animations, levels and the weapons. The driving part of the game is, well, awesome and lame. The driving itself is perfect, the gadgets are great and blowing up vehicles in the wasteland is a blast... unfortunately the races are too easy and the wasteland itself (semi-open world between mission levels) is, other then the few groups of vehicles you run into, a ghostland, and other then, the sewers and some plants there's no reason whatsoever to explore and no threat to exploring. This is one of three places I think id really dropped the ball, the others being the ending and the fact the game is way too easy. The good
    -GFX, best graphics ever seen for an FPS on the PS3.
    -Sound, brings the world alive like no other.
    -Enemy AI, I dare say the best I've ever seen in a FPS.
    -Enemy Animations, again the best seen in a FPS, and a huge variety.
    -Weapons, sound and feel perfect, not realistic, over the top done just right.
    -Vehicles, handle well and have good weapons and gadgets.

The Bad
    -Wasteland, other then vehicles is vacant... K there's the towers, seriously though they are lame, a bunch of random dudes running around would have been so much better... Deathrace a la Rage!
    -Game is, with very few exceptions, WAY too easy, seriously, nightmare = normal... too many empty areas, populate those and beef up the numbers in the levels and this game would have been GOTY.
    -The ending is utterly lame, got to be one of the worst in gaming history, feels like you're just about to get into a serious fight but nope that was it, game over.
  23. Nov 24, 2011
    5.7 that is waay to low of a score than what the game actually deserves, its by no means a classic from id but its still a damn good game and i don't regret buying it. The graphics are amazing for a 5 year old machine, the guns feel really good and sound good and the driving is actually very well done. The only problem i had with this game is that it did get a little repetitive towards5.7 that is waay to low of a score than what the game actually deserves, its by no means a classic from id but its still a damn good game and i don't regret buying it. The graphics are amazing for a 5 year old machine, the guns feel really good and sound good and the driving is actually very well done. The only problem i had with this game is that it did get a little repetitive towards the end but that doesn't last to long, i thoroughly enjoyed it, just because people had high expectations and it didn't meet them doesn't mean you should bash this game, i recommend this game to everyone especially fps fans it really is a great game. Expand
  24. Oct 5, 2011
    Beautiful graphics and easily the best looking game ever made. (if you can ignore the unacceptable screen-tearing).Rage doesn't do much that's new.In fact,some gameplay elements are archaic in nature;the quest structure for example.I enjoyed the vehicles a great deal,and didn't mind the arcade style driving.The FPS mechanics are typical id software,which is to say that they are greatBeautiful graphics and easily the best looking game ever made. (if you can ignore the unacceptable screen-tearing).Rage doesn't do much that's new.In fact,some gameplay elements are archaic in nature;the quest structure for example.I enjoyed the vehicles a great deal,and didn't mind the arcade style driving.The FPS mechanics are typical id software,which is to say that they are great though the game descends into corridor shooting a lot,which the developers made famous in the 90's.All in all,the amazing visuals,fun vehicle elements and upgrades add a couple of points to what is essentially an old school FPS. Expand
  25. Oct 6, 2011
    Awesome game! Good graphics, good sound, good racing, good AI, impressive arsenal, amazing shooting! Thanks id. Go Doom 4 and Rage 2 :) Haters gonna hate.
  26. Nov 22, 2011
    Very interesting combination of Fallout 3, Borderlands and your average shooter. But more on the shooter/action side. The addition of races makes it a curious (yet very functional) package. And BREATHTAKING scenery makes this a very beautiful game to look at. There's nothing here we haven't seen before: shooting mutants in the head; sidequesting for spare parts; sewers; wastelands;Very interesting combination of Fallout 3, Borderlands and your average shooter. But more on the shooter/action side. The addition of races makes it a curious (yet very functional) package. And BREATHTAKING scenery makes this a very beautiful game to look at. There's nothing here we haven't seen before: shooting mutants in the head; sidequesting for spare parts; sewers; wastelands; weapons; abandoned villages where survivors struggle; pseudo open world etc. Actually, my only complaint is the 8GB MANDATORY installation. I mean, c'mon, 8GB?? Apart from that, great game, lots of personality. I'm not a 1st person shooter enthusiast and I really liked this one. If you are even slightly curious about it it's worth a try. Expand
  27. Oct 25, 2011
    decent game.... at first Iwas disappointed because I was expecting an open world game, with a shooter pace! Well I didnt get that. Its pretty linear and despite looking "Fallout-ish" it defintately isnt. That being said, its still pretty fun. The driving is fun and the audio is really good. They do a great job of keeping you on the edge of your seat. Especially n the dead city. All indecent game.... at first Iwas disappointed because I was expecting an open world game, with a shooter pace! Well I didnt get that. Its pretty linear and despite looking "Fallout-ish" it defintately isnt. That being said, its still pretty fun. The driving is fun and the audio is really good. They do a great job of keeping you on the edge of your seat. Especially n the dead city. All in all its a good game. Dont expect fallout, and dont expect DOOM.... just take it for what it is, and enjoy, Expand
  28. Oct 16, 2011
    I am about 4 - 5 hours into the game and I enjoy it tremendously. This game has some insane graphics. Hands down one of the best to date. The game is superb combination of first person shooter, role playing and racing game. It is refreshing to play this game after boring single player call of duty type games over and over again. I love all small details in this game. Side missions are coolI am about 4 - 5 hours into the game and I enjoy it tremendously. This game has some insane graphics. Hands down one of the best to date. The game is superb combination of first person shooter, role playing and racing game. It is refreshing to play this game after boring single player call of duty type games over and over again. I love all small details in this game. Side missions are cool and fun to play. .Mutant bash TV is just awesome [remains me of old game called Smash TV] The game has some crazy looking, superb weapons with different types of ammunition. There are several types of vehicles in this game. Vehicles can be customized with weapons and decals. Rage is great game. You should definitely give it a try. Expand
  29. Oct 15, 2011
    It's a first person shooter with driving bits in that are on par with a decent driving game. Shooting mechanics are are some of the best you will find on PC or Console. The enemy AI is some of the best on the market when using their ability to use use the terran to their advantage. Story is ok, its not going to win any awards but keeps the game ticking along nicely.

I have both the 360

I have both the 360 and PC version, after some pain with the PC drivers game runs good, with the PC just having sharper graphics. Overall great game from ID. Just remember its a shooter not a RPG and its the best shooter and looker so far.
  30. Jan 3, 2012
    Not a bad game at all. For me it is the perfect "in between" game. The game fits my needs. I like racing and I like FPS. So a combo between racing and shooting sounded really good to me.

I also bought this game because a lot of people claimed the graphics where the best of this generation. Well "a lot of people" didn't play Crysis 2 then.... Crysis 2 still has the best graphics this generation.

Overall Rage is solid game, shooting is solid and fun, racing is solid and fun, graphics are solid... Story however is absence... and your character is a mute.., which always is a negative in my opinion.
  31. Nov 5, 2011
    RAGE at first slightly disappointed me, the start is pretty mediocre, however getting past the first mission you'll unlock a gem of a game, producing some mindblowing moments here and there. Possibly the best part of this game is the online mode Road Rage, it somehow comes together to produce one of the most engaging online experiences I've had for some time. This is an ideal game to getRAGE at first slightly disappointed me, the start is pretty mediocre, however getting past the first mission you'll unlock a gem of a game, producing some mindblowing moments here and there. Possibly the best part of this game is the online mode Road Rage, it somehow comes together to produce one of the most engaging online experiences I've had for some time. This is an ideal game to get you hyped up for the pre-Christmas releases. Expand
  32. Sep 24, 2012
    I loved this game, unfortunately there wasn't much of it! I loved the mix of vehicles but I feel like the game could have made use of them better. The weapons were it's saving grace, loved the different kinds of ammo available. The characters were really neat, with a wide scope of personalities and behaviors. However, the game was just too short! It was disappointing when I realized that II loved this game, unfortunately there wasn't much of it! I loved the mix of vehicles but I feel like the game could have made use of them better. The weapons were it's saving grace, loved the different kinds of ammo available. The characters were really neat, with a wide scope of personalities and behaviors. However, the game was just too short! It was disappointing when I realized that I had beat the game....it just didn't feel like the end. The story didn't feel resolved to me. Oh well, good game anyway, but it had potential to be a lot more. 8/10 Expand
  33. Jul 24, 2012
    Excellent Graphics, Sound, Game play, Story and really fun Vehicle Combat. Only thing I wish they had more DLC as well Team Death Match online. Also a more customize options for the character would have been a plus; but still I enjoy purchasing upgrades at the outlets. These would have made my score a 10.
  34. Nov 9, 2011
    This is a fantastic game... the graphics are awesome... its tons of fun and the story is simple and interesting. It doesn't to put you into a world of amazing characters and a deep story line with absolute freedom in game play... but what I do promise is that you will be amazed by its awesome visuals fun gameplay and just downright pure entertainment.
  35. Oct 25, 2011
    I am here to pay my respect to ID Software, and because i am getting really tired of all those people whining and **** about ID's latest product. I do really feel bad for the Pc gamers when Rage was just released. But, i was thinking, (And this is pure speculation from my side, and not based on any facts.) that it was not completely ID's fault, that Rage had so many problems on PC, when itI am here to pay my respect to ID Software, and because i am getting really tired of all those people whining and **** about ID's latest product. I do really feel bad for the Pc gamers when Rage was just released. But, i was thinking, (And this is pure speculation from my side, and not based on any facts.) that it was not completely ID's fault, that Rage had so many problems on PC, when it came out, because if i am not mistaken ID has to listen to Bethesda nowadays, and they could have forced ID to release Rage in it's almost finished condition, but then again this is pure speculation from my side. I also dislike Pc gamers putting their experiences in the Ps3 section of Metacritic ! Please stick to your own page, because you give Ps3 gamers the wrong impression. I bought this game on Ps3, but my Pc could also handle this game, i simply choose the Ps3 version because i prefer gaming on my big screen, with my surround system, on my comfortable couch :). I always had a thing for ID's games, back since 1990 when i started playing the first Commander Keen, when i was 10 years old. After that i played a lot of Id's games, like the Commander Keen series, Wolfenstein 3D, Spear Of Destiny, Doom 1,2,3 and add ons, Herretic, Hexen, etc etc. I also played doom on many different systems, like the Sega 32x, but i also managed to get Doom 1 & 2 working on my Amiga 1200, unofficially that is :) ... using Adoom ;-). When i first started playing Rage on my Ps3, i was overwhelmed by the graphics and the stable frame rate, but also the sound, which sounds very "crispy" in DTS (Only a handful of games on Ps3 are DTS compatible, most are only Dolby Digital.) All the problems Rage has on Pc, are not to be found in the Ps3 version, except for some very light screen tearing from time to time, and the Texture pop in, which i do find a bit annoying, and i still hope this can be fixed. I am an easy gamer, i play games for the fun of playing, i do not need a lot of competition, and i do not need to prove myself to others when playing my favourite games. So i started playing Rage on easy, and was dropped in it's amazing world. The atmosphere, the vibe, and the things you notice when playing in a "relaxed" condition are simply amazing ! and truly remarkable !. From a gentle dust wind, to flies flying over rotting corpses :-) there's a lot of detail to be found in this game, if you take the time to notice it. When i first arrived at Wellspring, i was truly overwhelmed by the amount of detail, like when you walk in the alley where it's dripping with water, i like to stand still at those moments, and just listen to the sound when i move my camera to hear the dripping from the back to the front, and looking at the wonderful created environment. Honestly, at the beginning when i just arrived at Wellspring the first 10 minutes, i was just looking at buildings and people, thinking wow... this is amazing. The shooting is pretty old school, and from time to time pretty intense, but to me, that's a good thing. (I do would like a little bit of extra ammo though... hehe :-) ) The racing aspect has also been implemented wonderfully, and creates this extra dimension in Rage, as quite a racing fan, to me, this extra feature was a real treat. The car / buggy handling is very tight, and controls really well ! Because of the stable frame rate at 60fps, the driving is really smooth and therefore a true delight. To me everything in Rage works well, the wastelands are also truly amazing and the level design is superb. Even tough the multiplayer may not be al that, i really enjoyed the couple of matches i played so far, also because i seem te be pretty good at it. The multiplayer looks and feels a little bit like Hardware Online Arena on Ps2, it's really nice for an hour or something, and can be easily picked up at any time, it's quite good actually, but should have been a little bit better. All & all to me, Rage is a true masterpiece that just needs a little more polishing, Rage really has that ID vibe throughout the whole game which i like very much. I also would like te thank Id for the Wolfenstein & Doom easter egs hidden in the game ! (I found out by youtube) they really put a smile on my face ! Thank you once more Id for making the beautiful game ! I am really looking forward to Doom 4 :-). Expand
  36. Jan 7, 2012
    Great new IP from ID ! Manages to capture the intensity of a apocalyptic aftermath very well. Despite the technical flaws on console due to low RAM an intense fight out in the wasteland. Many people had issues with the ending, but overall it was very very thrilling to get there
  37. Nov 21, 2011
    Rage is a hybrid FPS-vehicular action game with a focus on single player campaign with some multi-player elements. Core mechanics and single-player: Rage is a fun game to play. It runs at a constant 60 FPS which lends itself to smoother. more responsive controls than some other console shooters. Rage is divided into 3 parts: shooting, driving around and racing in your car and talking withRage is a hybrid FPS-vehicular action game with a focus on single player campaign with some multi-player elements. Core mechanics and single-player: Rage is a fun game to play. It runs at a constant 60 FPS which lends itself to smoother. more responsive controls than some other console shooters. Rage is divided into 3 parts: shooting, driving around and racing in your car and talking with NPC characters which pushes along the fairly light plot line. Shooting feels great, as I said before. The guns are by-the-books style FPS weapons but each has a small twist thanks to a ammo system that allows you to find or build new ammo for your weapons. This ranges from turning your pistol into a magnum to turning the shotgun into a grenade launcher. There are also constructable devices and sentries/robots that are pretty fun to toss out in a firefight and watch that little drone tear up a bunch of mutants. Speaking of which Rage has some of the most diverse enemies I've seen in perhaps any FPS. Each enemies belongs to a different tribe, each with their own personality. Mutants are frantic rushers, Ghosts have a taste for the acrobatics and the Authority use more sophisticated squad tactics like assembling behind a shield-carrier. There's also some crazy (almost kinda racist) cavemen and engineer-types that deploy remote controlled bomb-cars after you, and will retreat intelligently (towards friends) from combat when outmatched. The car gameplay is a little more dicey. The physics can be bizarre, don't be surprised if you find yourself being flung around in ways you'd never expect. There also tends to be more harassment from bandits than there should be, it gets a little tiring. Driving does have a basic thrill to it, just jumping in your car and tearing hell across the wasteland provides a refreshing change of pace. The environments are diverse and utterly gorgeous. You hardly see the same texture twice, everything is distinct and wonderful to explore. The art direction here is almost second to none, even though the texture streaming can be a little annoying at times it doesn't hold this game back from being one of the most visually rewarding experiences around. The single player game is about 15 hours long, mine stretched closer to 20 but I did everything I could.
    Multi-player: This is where the game gets a little weak. There are two multi-player modes: co-op FPS and vehicular combat modes. The co-op FPS mode, or "wasteland legends" is kind of neat but generally not very much fun. It's a little laggy and doesn't feel like it was designed to be the focus of the game. It's just kinda dull, not that bad or anything. The vehicular mode is more fully-featured, with unlockable cars, weapons and items you can use. It all boils down to racing around and trying to take out other people while catching these glowing-point things that give you points. It can be pretty exciting, but it can also be pretty frustrating due to the bizarre car physics. And when I say bizarre, I mean it. These physics are whack. So if you go with Rage, go for the single-player. I'm sure you can find it in a bargain bin somewhere already. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys single-player shooters with a little Zelda and Mario Kart thrown in, but don't mistake this for another Borderlands, the two games are hardly anything alike.
  38. Mar 28, 2012
    Let me start out by saying rage is a great game that just went into the wrong direction from which it should of gone.First off this is a action/fps game, but with a huge world and racing and tons of gore*which I love*however I feel like Id soft meant Rage to be a fps/rpg like Borderlands in the beginning but took out the rpg elements for whatever reason they had and went withLet me start out by saying rage is a great game that just went into the wrong direction from which it should of gone.First off this is a action/fps game, but with a huge world and racing and tons of gore*which I love*however I feel like Id soft meant Rage to be a fps/rpg like Borderlands in the beginning but took out the rpg elements for whatever reason they had and went with fps/action/racing which works well, But I think rage would of been way better and gotten better reviews if id soft would of made rage a rpg/shooter instead,but non the less rage is a good game which everyone should try.and Id soft if you do decide to make a sequel to rage please use a rpg element like borderlands did and I promise you will strike a gold mine. Expand
  39. Jan 3, 2012
    I wasn't particularly excited about Rage. But I bought it anyway, because I was aching to trade some games in, so I thought I'd give Rage a shot. And I am incredibly happy I did so. I'm not the biggest FPS fan and I do have 2 COD games and some Battlefield games but other than that first person shooters aren't my game of choice. But there is something about Rage... Rage is amazing and isI wasn't particularly excited about Rage. But I bought it anyway, because I was aching to trade some games in, so I thought I'd give Rage a shot. And I am incredibly happy I did so. I'm not the biggest FPS fan and I do have 2 COD games and some Battlefield games but other than that first person shooters aren't my game of choice. But there is something about Rage... Rage is amazing and is definitely the best FPS of 2011. It has incredible visuals, fantastic AI, great (but few) weapons, fantastic animation and a so-so story. It certainly isn't the best game I've played and does have a few problems, such as a bad save system, fairly boring story, and not very fun exploration and some texture pop in. But this game is simply not to be missed. It has some of the best FPS gameplay I have ever played and EVERY bullet that hits an enemy feels powerful because every bullet has an effect. Rage is a fantastic game and I strongly recommend it. Expand
  40. Oct 28, 2012
    id software is back on top form with this knock-out shooter. Rage is set in a post apocalyptic future after an asteroid hits the Earth, only a small handful of humanity survived and you attempt to rebuild humanity through help of the Resistance. The game it only lasts you around 12 hours for a straight run, 18 hours roughly to do all the side missions and extras. Rage is not a long gameid software is back on top form with this knock-out shooter. Rage is set in a post apocalyptic future after an asteroid hits the Earth, only a small handful of humanity survived and you attempt to rebuild humanity through help of the Resistance. The game it only lasts you around 12 hours for a straight run, 18 hours roughly to do all the side missions and extras. Rage is not a long game and its story is fairly weak with a cop-out ending but the shooting is masterful and the graphics are gob smacking. Usually I wouldn't rate a game this high without a impressive story to back it up but Rage has that old timely feel to it that has managed to blend into modern shooter mechanics making it a near perfect shooter. Expand
  41. Apr 4, 2012
    Great gunplay, good visuals, a nice style, and amazing animation. Story isn't anything special, and the world is pretty boring. There are some sidequests and you can create some items, but this isn't an RPG, even if it reminds you of Fallout 3 and Borderlands. I highly recommend it if you're looking for a 'different' kind of shooter. iD software could've done better, but this fresh idea isGreat gunplay, good visuals, a nice style, and amazing animation. Story isn't anything special, and the world is pretty boring. There are some sidequests and you can create some items, but this isn't an RPG, even if it reminds you of Fallout 3 and Borderlands. I highly recommend it if you're looking for a 'different' kind of shooter. iD software could've done better, but this fresh idea is executed well. Expand
  42. Aug 7, 2012
    Rage is a good game. Would've expected something different from Id and Bethesda, but it is a fun game. Started on Nightmare difficulty for the trophy, and that already picks away the fun and replaces it with rage... (Yeah ha ha ha). Most people (one of which, myself) will probably need to get used to the shooting in the game. 'Firing from the hip' is an impossible job (probably because youRage is a good game. Would've expected something different from Id and Bethesda, but it is a fun game. Started on Nightmare difficulty for the trophy, and that already picks away the fun and replaces it with rage... (Yeah ha ha ha). Most people (one of which, myself) will probably need to get used to the shooting in the game. 'Firing from the hip' is an impossible job (probably because you do damage like **** on Nightmare) mostly because of the mutants, pumped with steroids, jumping all over the place. I like the style, I like the interactions, the people, the voice acting, the gameplay.. Simply: This game is awesome. Indeed it has some negatives. I haven't found that many yet, but I'm already needing help with the 'quests' and saw that the game is quite short. Yet, it's worth every penny of my 20 bucks which I paid (and it's the Anarchy Edition too) so if you might stumble upon a copy for that price, you wouldn't regret it. Expand
  43. Nov 19, 2012
    AWESOME graphics + great music + old-school shooter + enemies AI + big map to explore + Mad Max + Borderlands + Fallout 3 + John Camrack + boogies + races + cooperative online multiplayer missions + online competitive fighting races
  44. Sep 28, 2013
    El potencial de "Rage" logra narrar de manera lucrativa una fascinante historia que se desarrolla en La Tierra post apocalíptica; con gráficos increíbles y demás. Sabía que una empresa tan poderosa y prestigiosa como ID no me iba a decepcionar y mucho menos con este juegaso. Se los recomiendo a los que les gusten los juegos first person shooter y conducir vehículos personalizados.
  45. Oct 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is often given a lot of flak.

I also have my criticism:
    The world does not feel like a free-roam exploration world like it hints to be
    and there is nearly absolutely nothing to explore outside action-determined-areas.

Also, spoiler alert,

the ending was highly unsatisfactory!

But...
    Having said that,
    i will also say:

I absolutely LOVED playing this game!

The graphics are excellent.

Game-play is very fluid, very easy to play
    and difficulty is balanced throughout the game.

And
    the surroundings (in said action-determined-areas) are extremely immersive!

For the obvious pitfalls of the game, non the less:
    I think Rage is a greatly detailed, highly immersive, fun,shooter!
  46. May 18, 2013
    Think Bioshock without the benefit of a good story. It wasn't necesearily that the story was bad, there was just no story growth, you never really understand what/who the "bad guys" of the game were,they gave a little at the end, but there was no communication at all. Other than the story the gameplay was pretty diverse and fun. The car combat really suprised me, lots of ways to kill; veryThink Bioshock without the benefit of a good story. It wasn't necesearily that the story was bad, there was just no story growth, you never really understand what/who the "bad guys" of the game were,they gave a little at the end, but there was no communication at all. Other than the story the gameplay was pretty diverse and fun. The car combat really suprised me, lots of ways to kill; very fun. The guns were like bioshock, different ammos, instead of vigors, there's wingsticks, grenades, bots, etc The A.I was pretty good too. I recommend experimenting with different weapons and switching up your ammo's so you won't get bored. This game might've been a little too easy as it seems like their's infinite amount of ammo you can have, but this is a good game. Expand
  47. Dec 20, 2012
    I did enjoy RAGE alot to be fair, granted, it isn't long like the other games created, but, it adds a little twist to it, as opposed to swords, spells etc, Good racing tracks/computers, Guns and Bigger Guns!
  48. Dec 21, 2012
    Cost me £5 for the Anarchy Edition and its a great game very similar to Borderlands but with superior shooting from id , the AI from the enemy is a pleasure to experience.
    First thing i did was max up the sensitivity and yes i noticed the texture pop up but you know what........it still looks and amazing and runs faster than a rocket.
    Negative comment - Multiplayer..........fun

Negative comment - Multiplayer..........fun but come on guys...i want deathmatch and CTF on foot , buggies should be optional not compulsory.
  49. May 13, 2013
    Rage is an absolutely beautiful game! The post apocalyptic world that its set in is by far the star of this game!! Along with this, Rage also has some brutal and satisfying combat and those are the things that you need to come for, because the story of this game is definitely the weakest link and pales in comparison to the rest of the experience.
  50. May 25, 2013
    I would like to give Rage a 7 or less, since it does come with quite many bugs and visual problems. But there is just something about it that keeps dragging me back! First of all, the gunfights are some of the best around. The animations of the enemies looks very realistic, and the world has that rugged, Mad Max 2 kind of atmosphere. I can imagine this is what Fallout 4 will eventuallyI would like to give Rage a 7 or less, since it does come with quite many bugs and visual problems. But there is just something about it that keeps dragging me back! First of all, the gunfights are some of the best around. The animations of the enemies looks very realistic, and the world has that rugged, Mad Max 2 kind of atmosphere. I can imagine this is what Fallout 4 will eventually look like, with more freedom of course.

As for the negatives: During certain cut scenes the audio breaks, which can be annoying. The characters you meet will sometimes suffer from the age old "audio out of sync with lip movements" problem which is, to say the least, irritating. Finally, the textures load very slowly in this game. As soon as you look in a new direction, the objects near you will start to load their textures, somewhat breaking the immersion.

Technical issues aside, Rage is a blast to play, outside and inside your vehicle, much thanks to the awesome shooting mechanics. If you like post-apocalypse, this is a game for you!
  51. Jun 10, 2013
    Great game period. Granted not perfect but obviously its combo of incredible graphics, textures, gorgeously fitting color pallet, and stunning frame rate (60fps) make it a visual masterpiece with best in class aesthetics dominating its commonly compared borderlands and fallout 3 bretheren in this department. Guns feel heavy, gunshots sound aggressive and badass, and enemies react to everyGreat game period. Granted not perfect but obviously its combo of incredible graphics, textures, gorgeously fitting color pallet, and stunning frame rate (60fps) make it a visual masterpiece with best in class aesthetics dominating its commonly compared borderlands and fallout 3 bretheren in this department. Guns feel heavy, gunshots sound aggressive and badass, and enemies react to every shot they are hit with in a realistic way with impressively animated deaths. The animators at id software knocked it out the park with the games many fluid and jaw dropping animations, from crazed mutants ravenously coming after you, to salty bandits flailing back from gunfire ultimately spinning and falling face first to their death these animations are handled with a smoothness and degree of movement not often(if ever) seen in the video game industry. The sound shines with the vaunted John Goodman lending his voice acting talents. The game isn't short with all the side quests and loot hunting offered as well as a very arcade like but enjoyable racing and vehicle combat section (though a bit easy). The weapons are varied enough with all guns and crossbow having several different ammo types, but the clear cut star of your arsenal is the innovative and devilishly fun wing stick. The wing stick is a type of three bladed boomerang that you throw at your enemies for frequent decapitations and severed limbs, it also can be upgraded to target enemies,do more damage, and return to your hand like a boomerang (did i mention it can slice the head off of multiple enemies in a row).You also find or buy blueprints in the wasteland which build new weapons/guns, upgradable turrets and robots, and even a mini remote controlled truck with bombs attached to it which you can remote detonate (also useful for scouting out enemy camps). You do however rehash the same levels at times with minor differences but with having to make such detailed landscapes it's understandable. The game includes many enjoyable mini games such as five finger fillet, a guitar hero like game called strum, and a very fun card game similar to magic the gathering with picture cards of different in game characters and factions that you find throughout the wasteland to strengthen your deck(trust me i am not a card or magic t.g. fan but this is fun). The world isn't as big as fallout but it is as big as it needs to be.It has a fun but not as varied separate coop campaign and online multiplayer in the form of exciting vehicle combat races. I know it isn't the 4 player coop of borderlands but unless you are the type who is compulsive about having 50,000 guns and cell shaded graphics it might be a better all around game than the first borderlands(i do love borderlands by the way). People say Rage doesn't have a story and it has an "okay" if not fleshed out enough story but borderlands though it is entertaining has basically no story at all(you are on pandora- now find this vault).Some found Rage to have a weak ending? Not half as dissapointing as borderlands ending (can anyone say they were pleased with what they found in the vault?) Overall Rage is a breath of fresh air that beckons back to id's yesteryear of gaming (doom,quake) the combat is in your face and aggressive differing from this generation's Gears of Wear totally cover based pop and shoot style of combat (when i am a badass muscle bound space marine i don't want to spend 75% of the game on my knees, i know a few gals who hangout on the corner they can give marcus pheonix a pair of kneepads they spend alot of time on their knees too).Rage has a ton of nostalgic eastereggs too, if you are a Doom,wolfenstein, Quake or id fan you need to get this game for the eastereggs alone! I won't spoil it but let's just say these eastereggs are very.....interactive. The sad thing is that Rage2 was in the works but seeing how Rage undersold they cancelled production and killed the would be series. This was new IP from the fathers of FPS and after all that time they delivered, and after getting their feet wet in this generation with Rage i can assume building on Rage's engine and the experience with Rage would have prepped them to deliver even bigger on Rage2 (can you imagine what that game would of looked like.) Rage is a very strong game and worth the experience it should have sold 5mil. Rage gets a 9 out of 10. Expand
  52. Sep 28, 2014
    6.1 by user score, really? are you pothead? cmom, this is a amazing game, incrible, better than FallOut 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  53. Feb 28, 2014
    I liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiked the game Rage very much !
    It was different, fun to play, etc.
    But the end of the game was a dissapointment ...
    Suddenly the game was finished.

I REALY hope there will be another game of Rage in the future and a much longer gameplay

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Mar 6, 2012
    Ultimately, RAGE is soulless and short-lived. Jack up the difficulty for more of a challenge, but underneath a few stand-out moments is a shooter that's been outclassed and out gunned. [Dec 2011, p78]
  2. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Dec 29, 2011
    There is not a lot of leveling or depth to be found in Rage, but you can have some fun with building your own weapons and toying around with several gadgets. We particularly liked the remote controlled cars that can be equipped with explosives. [Nov 2011, p.82]
  3. PSM3 Magazine UK
    Dec 1, 2011
    A weak, aimless story and limited freedom to explore betray the fun, varied and creative combat in this beautiful post-apocalyptic wasteland. [Christmas 2011, p.104]