6.2

1. Oct 4, 2011
    This game has potential. I am not denying this in the least. It throws out amazing ideas and concepts, but just doesn't follow through on them. I'm hoping to see something that expands upon the game soon, but until then, this will be getting a mediocre score. It does, however, look amazing. 6/10.
  2. Oct 9, 2011
    I'm just going to come out and say it. Rage is a disappointment. There are a few things Rage does well, such as variety in ammo types (like in Bioshock) and having a consistent framerate of 60 frames per second (which never drops) with good graphics to boot. However, there are also a few things Rage doesn't do right, such as texture pop-in, the driving sequences, and the story.

The combat

The combat in Rage is good old FPS fun and the variety in using different ammo types makes the gameplay stand out from other FPS's. You can also craft helpful items that can help you get the edge over enemies, such as bandages, exploding RC cars, and even three sided boomerangs with steel blades on them, which is pretty cool. The graphics are also great, especially from a distance, but most textures look terrible up close. Not much of a surprise there though, given the overall scope of the graphics. Rage is also the most fluid game I've played in terms of framerate. Its always at 60 and never drops. This might not sound that impressive, but keep in mind this is on a console thats around 5-6 years old.

However, Rage seems to fall flat on its face with the story. I've played 4 hours of it and I can tell you now that it has absolutely no connection to the story whatsoever. I'll explain this the best I can without spoiling it. The first hour of the game sees you meeting a character that helps you get started and all that, which is pretty much essential. The next 3 hours, however, see you go to a town and do errands for people, namely the Mayor and Sheriff. You'll be asking yourself what the point of all these errands is and if they're related to the story, and your questions will be answered at around the 4 hour mark when you meet a character that is part of a discourse that seems to be central to the story.

Another thing that Rage doesn't do right is the driving sequences. You'll be driving everywhere from point A to point B and it just feels like filler. There is no incentive to go exploring, and killing the bandits in their buggies gets tedious. There is also texture pop-in, which is very subtle in some parts, but almost unbearable in others.

Overall, Rage could have been a good game, but never really delivered. The story is rather weak, the first 4 hours of the game are completely pointless (and considering people are saying its around the 9 hour mark, thats a huge worry), the driving sequences are merely filler, and ultimately it seems as if ID couldn't decide if they wanted to make an FPS or an RPG. For a game to have been in development for around 4 years and won a range of "Best in Show" awards at E3 2010, this is a big letdown. I give it a 3/10. This game is only worth a rent. It is not worth $60US/$100AUD at all.
  3. Oct 4, 2011
    k well here's one of my highly anticipated games of 2011. i got my hands on rage at 8 pm monday and it is now tues 6 am and i am closing in on the games final hours of gameplay. usually i try not to rate a game w/o finishing it from front to back first but i know that many will wake up in the morning wanting to get an idea of what to expect w/ rage and whether or not you should buy it ork well here's one of my highly anticipated games of 2011. i got my hands on rage at 8 pm monday and it is now tues 6 am and i am closing in on the games final hours of gameplay. usually i try not to rate a game w/o finishing it from front to back first but i know that many will wake up in the morning wanting to get an idea of what to expect w/ rage and whether or not you should buy it or not. I really did not know what to expect and as we know id software is the mother of the fps genre so being a huge fan of doom and quake i couldnt wait to see how they stacked up w/ next gen consoles. I must say that i immediately saw what these mega textures could do from the first moment upon leaving my hatch/pod and it was beautiful how nicely the world came to life clouds,rocks etc but i did notice that it was not perfect and tearing as well as these textures seem to fight it self at times as if saying "engine overload" . but as far as graphics well its hard to argue that it is one of the best displays on console to date, and the tearing doesnt stop the eyes from wanting to see more, lets put it that way. so graphics are B+.. the "wasteland hybrid" atv is the first time you will be in a vehicle and i was a bit surprised at the tight handling and response of the atv and then later the buggy. and the buggy can be raced for upgrades and weapon mods and is actually a fun time behind the wheel. so i cant help but think that this is feeling a lot like borderlands because as soon as i meet the locals after being rescued i am given a mission involving bandits. while speaking on the missions i will say that although its not as tedious as borderlands as far as side quests and looting it also does have that feel of go to point A and then go to B and then back to A, but just not as much of it. and yes some of the npc you meet are wonderfully crafted and designed but the voice acting is either spot on or just way off. but more importantly are the mundane tasks they ask of you, go light some firecrackers, fetch some buggy parts and grab supplies 50 yards from here,so i just wished while spending the time talking to the well made npc's i would get a better story or mission, well not to be found yet. but it does not take away from the nicely designed npc's and the not so nice (usually merchants) you will encounter along the way. the story finally starts to pick up and so do the weapons and different bullets and "crafting". one can craft a grinding lock pick to a turret to a few other"unique" devices which are a fun part of this game, and no work bench needed, just instructions along with ingredients/material. and i found a handful of "mini games" which were a fun spin on gambling and the "eye of judgement" type game was my fav.. 4 guys rolling dice w/ holograms of 3 mutants and a cowboy and the roll decides your how many shots you can have per turn. 5 finger fillet also makes a showing. the guns/weapons felt really good, the sniper rifle actually felt like one and the shotgun which can be upgraded to a grenade launcher,has a few kinds of ammo just like the hand gun and one round can be told from the other w/ being able to feel and see the harder impact or the damage done to enemies. the peasants gun (pistol) can be coupled w/ a monocular which is described as being a peice of binocular "the good half" so you will hold the gun in one while peeking in the monocular w/ the other, pretty funny how it works. but as far as the weapons, well there are just enough. not too many to get lost in the slight changes from one to the next and not too few to crave more or seem like its lacking. just enough to know and feel each one and learn very quickly the guns strengths and weakness. the wingblade is also a very cool 2 bladed boom-a-rang w/ a handle, but will only come back if you miss or just take out an arm or a leg. and if it gets lodged in the enemies head, you can get it back and can also craft them w/ the manual and materials.the enemies are not the most brilliant a.i i have ever seen, but not the dumbest either. they do get harder to fight as you progress but its their body reaction which is awesome, because they react to where and how they get shot or hit. the animations are very nice and funny at times. the sounds and music are not top notch but they are very good, and the sound effects were also down well. but overall i can simply say that there isnt much to speak of which hasnt been done already. i would say refer to borderlands as far as an idea of the style of game this is, i mean its not a bad thing just feels like the same in many ways, only that the graphics and gameplay/mechanics stand apart, the theme is very sim. but that is a compliment in a lot of ways,just felt like i played this game before.the graphics are great and this is where the game shines,and the controls are good but the story lacks and i feel like this is a well made game but one which is too familiar. its worth a play,but not a day1 must. Expand
  4. Nov 10, 2011
    This game was a dissappointment. Whereas it did deliver in some gameplay, in virtually every other area it did not. This game has great ideas, and potential even in a setting and genre where many games exist, i.e. fallout 3, borderlands etc. this game was set in a setting where a great story could have emerged. Fallout and borderlands did not have strong stories, and in thisThis game was a dissappointment. Whereas it did deliver in some gameplay, in virtually every other area it did not. This game has great ideas, and potential even in a setting and genre where many games exist, i.e. fallout 3, borderlands etc. this game was set in a setting where a great story could have emerged. Fallout and borderlands did not have strong stories, and in this post-apoctolyptic setting, few games have established story over gameplay. For gameplay it delivers. For story it dissappoints. Expand
  5. Nov 28, 2011
    The ID Tech 5 engine suffers from enormous amounts of texture pop-ins to get the game to run at 60 FPS. The loading/saving times are atrocious, and the saving system felt outdated - the game also didn't feel the need to assist me during combat and gave me the middle finger if I happened to forget to buy ammo for a mission. I once died from jumping on an elevator going downwards because ofThe ID Tech 5 engine suffers from enormous amounts of texture pop-ins to get the game to run at 60 FPS. The loading/saving times are atrocious, and the saving system felt outdated - the game also didn't feel the need to assist me during combat and gave me the middle finger if I happened to forget to buy ammo for a mission. I once died from jumping on an elevator going downwards because of the fall damage, which makes no sense according to the laws of physics. The story wasn't even vaguely interesting, and the missions seemed sort of random and didn't build up to anything. The game had so much content that didn't add to the main storyline, and a lot of weapons/equipment to choose from without a good load-out system to back it up during combat. The over-the-top scary music felt forced and annoying, similarly with the low-pitch speaking British enemies. A lot of things in the FPS genre has been improved upon since the days of Doom, and id Software has chosen not to implement a lot of contemporary ideas, such as a talking Main Character, in addition to a modern Checkpoint system - which is understandable in stealth games which requires a lot of planning and decision making, but not in a Modern Shooter. And the ideas they have chosen to take on often lacks in comparisons to competitors, such as the mini-map GPS system, RPG elements, different ammo types, and vehicle combat. Most of the story revolves around doing errands for other characters, leaving only a couple of hours for the actual Main Story. The ending didn't give me any closure, and seemed like they just decided to wrap it up and call it the day once the engine was polished and ran smoothly on all systems. That said, the ID Tech 5 engine is the only good thing to write home about in regards to this release, and although it has many flaws, it also has moments of beauty, such as the scenery present when walking about in the wasteland - and the combat isn't half-bad either. The enemy AI is perhaps more intelligent than most other games. Though in comparison to all the other shooters this year, this game falls short. Expand
  6. Nov 20, 2011
    Rage is a very fun game. The graphics are really good, the guns all feel really well, and the enemy A.I is great. So why the low score? While this game is very fun while in combat outside of that it is very boring. The story is also very bland and just involves a bunch of go here talk to this person, then go kill bandits or mutants then come back. If they had fleshed out the story more toRage is a very fun game. The graphics are really good, the guns all feel really well, and the enemy A.I is great. So why the low score? While this game is very fun while in combat outside of that it is very boring. The story is also very bland and just involves a bunch of go here talk to this person, then go kill bandits or mutants then come back. If they had fleshed out the story more to make you want to keep playing this could have been the game of the year. Also the car combat and multiplayer are ok, but they feel out of place. Expand
  7. Jan 10, 2012
    I really wanted to like this game! It was solid enough in it's FPS core mechanics for me to play through it (albeit in a short time, maybe 9-10 hours in which I did pretty much all the side "jobs"), but dammit, the rest just sucked. The driving parts were boring and repetitive. The graphics are good but try looking at something up close and it feels like it's back to Doom days. But mostI really wanted to like this game! It was solid enough in it's FPS core mechanics for me to play through it (albeit in a short time, maybe 9-10 hours in which I did pretty much all the side "jobs"), but dammit, the rest just sucked. The driving parts were boring and repetitive. The graphics are good but try looking at something up close and it feels like it's back to Doom days. But most disappointing is the fact that the plot and the bad guys, which shows glimpses of possibly being interesting at the start, just disappears at the end like it was totally forgotten. I'd say wait till this hits the bargain bin at Expand
  8. Mar 6, 2012
    The game is pretty fun, but it is a cookie cutter game. I bought the game brand new for 20 bucks and I do not regret it, however, the game itself is boring to an extent. It is not like Borderlands where you can explore the game insanely and know every single side of the world, you really can only go in a straight line and the storyline is rather linear because you really do not have anyThe game is pretty fun, but it is a cookie cutter game. I bought the game brand new for 20 bucks and I do not regret it, however, the game itself is boring to an extent. It is not like Borderlands where you can explore the game insanely and know every single side of the world, you really can only go in a straight line and the storyline is rather linear because you really do not have any sort of control as to where you go. There is no, "let's go over here now," because the game has a set path already. A fun pick up if you're trying to kill time, but I would not sweat it if you did not want to fork out the bucks for it. The gameplay is fun, the graphics are fluid, sometimes the texture pop in pisses me off, but the only downside as noted before is the single road gameplay. Expand
  9. Apr 17, 2012
    Disappointing. Rage has been on peoples radars ever since the first trailer, it promised a stunning open world action RPG, with great visuals. What we got was an arcade racing game with shooter elements. Besides looting, buying and selling, there are no Role Playing elements in this game, you don't level up, you don't have tons of upgradable guns, the story is almost non existent andDisappointing. Rage has been on peoples radars ever since the first trailer, it promised a stunning open world action RPG, with great visuals. What we got was an arcade racing game with shooter elements. Besides looting, buying and selling, there are no Role Playing elements in this game, you don't level up, you don't have tons of upgradable guns, the story is almost non existent and boring fetch quest type with no decisions or memorable characters. The racing parts of this game feel completely alien to the shooting ones, it feels like a completely different game. I still can't believe how ID screwed up this game with poor gameplay and design decisions with such a great idea and style. The visuals look stunning...on a screenshot, a shooter, especially a 60 fps shooter is all about movement, and the visuals completely degenerate in that area. Textures load every time you turn, every goddamn time, leaving 80% of the game looking like a horrid PS2 title. So what are you left with once you notice the obvious shortcoming? A solid first person shooter with an out of place racing mechanic, not an RPG you hoped for. This is a rent. Expand
  10. Jan 18, 2013
    Rage recently entered the $20 (AUD) bargain bin making this one of the best value game purchases available.. Rage is a great first person shooter, that takes elements from all over the place, it isn't quite sure what it wants to be, but does a pretty good job of being a jack of all trades game..
    It looks good, it sounds good, and it plays fantastically, the only reason for a rating below 7 for this game would be people approaching it with 2 high expectations, this a great game, and worth at least a single run through, and for how cheap it is, you won't regret it..
  11. Jan 16, 2014
    Rage had a good intro and the set up was decent enough but it never gets better. The characters are forgettable, the story is even more so and you just don't care about what's going on. The gameplay and graphics were pretty topnotch though and the post-apocalyptic setting was gorgeous but you start to feel how linear it all really is. This was marketed as an open world experience and iRage had a good intro and the set up was decent enough but it never gets better. The characters are forgettable, the story is even more so and you just don't care about what's going on. The gameplay and graphics were pretty topnotch though and the post-apocalyptic setting was gorgeous but you start to feel how linear it all really is. This was marketed as an open world experience and i never got to feel that. Another disappointment was how the shooting segments are placed in corridors and it never gives you the chance to shoot enemies in the desert. You're mostly in your car the entire time you're outside but don't get me wrong the car gameplay is great and easily one of the best if not the best part of the game. And finally, to put the nail in the coffin on one of the worst stories ever, the ending was complete and utter **** Not to spoil anything for people who haven't played it but trust me when i say you're gonna be going "WTF?" when you realize you've just reached the ending. So to sum up, great gameplay, beautiful graphics, some good boss battles and amazing post-apocalyptic world mixed with a disappointing story, forgettable characters, little to no character customization, mediocre side quests and linear experience. 6/10 (I really wanna give it a lower score but gameplay-wise it was a lot of fun) Expand
  12. Jun 10, 2015
    Let me begin saying that i expected this game to be similar to other Bethesda titles such as Elder Scrolls or Fallout. What i got was completly different. Theres alot of things that are good in this game, but unfortunatly there is also alot of bad additions to this title.

First lets start off with the story. The game is set in the year 2205, 106 years after the near extinction of the Human Race. Before a Asteroid hit the Earth, the Goverment established The Ark Program. Similar to Fallout in this way, the ark program made several of Vaults throughout America, but unfortunatly there was a corupt general that made it his duty to only unleash certain people from the Ark Program, i dont understand how a general can do this, but eventually he forms The Authority, a Dictator like Goverment in control of the people in the wasteland. For some reason your Ark malfunctions and you are unleashed into the wasteland to find yourself fighting alongside the resistance (actually more or less by yourself) and must help overthrow The Authority. Its a cool little plot, nothing we havent heard of before, but nice. The only problem i see with the story is the fact it wasnt as indepth or long as i expected it to be. i finished the game 7 hours in, and really if you werent paying attention, you wouldnt even know you were on the last mission.

As for the gameplay, theres alot more to talk about. first of all, theres a ton of guns at your disposal. This includes Assault Rifles, Rocket Launchers, Crossbows, Snipers, LMG's, Pistols etc. Nothing too crazy, but enough. Theres also a wide selection of ammo types for each gun. For example, you can have regular pistol ammo, or you can choose the Fatboys or Killbursts.

Theres also a decent variety of Enemy types including Bandits, Mutants, Authority Soldiers, and super mutants. Each enemy type have to be attacked differently for best results. for example, the mutants are best killed with a shotgun, to which the authority soldiers are killed the greatest with a LMG. You dont have to change your playstyle too much, but just slightly.

When it comes to the vehicle's and their uses, they play very similar to Jax and Daxter 3. They are fun to use, and race with. But the problem i saw was that there wasnt really that many important upgrades for your vehicle. There was also no use to upgrade your vehicle, most of the time, you could just zoom past your enemies without a fight on the road, which was sorta dissapointing.

The next point i want to talk about is the crafting system. throughout the game you will find many items lying around. some are just used to cash in for money, but others can help you craft items such as RC Car Bombs, Bandages, Body Infusions, and Lock Grinders. The problem with this crafting system is that none of the Craft able items really make much of the difference. The only items i crafted were the bandages and Lock Grinders. The rest were sort of pointless, unless your a really **** player, or are on a harder difficulty.

When it comes to the characters in the game, i believed that each were very unique in their own way. Although most didnt matter what so ever to the games story, or gameplay.

When it comes to the AI, i believed there were very few problems. The one problem i saw were the Boss Battles, i saw no point in having them because they were incredibly easy. One boss for example only took 3 rocket shots to kill.

One thing i must talk about that i believe the game could have changed is the Defibrillator System. In the game you have two Defib slots, basically self revive. The only way to fill them is to kill enemies, so its technically not overly OP. But i believe that they should have only given you 1 slot, or made it longer to refill. i definitely got saved by it numerous times when i should have been dead.

Another problem i saw with the game, was the high number of pointless quests. most of the time they were very quick and easy. very few times were there actually quests that proved to be lengthy and challenging. You also didnt get much rewards or incentive for doing quests other than advancing in the story.

As for the technical side of the game, i saw that the game had alot of issues. You will frequently see Texture Pop ins everywhere you go. and also when you look far distances you will see a coating or blur o your screen, it was very odd. These are minor, nothing game breaking. But they are there.

As for the multiplayer, i was very disappointed. I expected them to bring the fun center gameplay from the game to the Multiplayer, but instead they just decided to put in Vehicle Combat modes. The Multiplayer could have been alot of fun and create replay ability.

Overal i think the game was actually fun. But seeing that the game had several problems that could have been avoided, im going to have to give it a lower score. If they would have fixed the many problems i stated this could have been a 10/10. But im afraid im going to have to give it a 7/10
  13. Dec 23, 2014
    This game will leave saying wtf a lot of times! Wtf are the graphics beautiful, wtf is the setting awesome and unfortunately WTF is this game short. Rage has a lot of potential but somehow Bethesda decided to kill alot of it. It could be a awesome openworld experience but instead it is just a good FPS with some nice twists.
  14. Dec 1, 2011
    Smooth, sometimes beautiful graphics, and great audio effects. but the gameplay could have been so much more, you can feel that the game oozes potential. especially the ending is a big 'huh? that was it?' moment.
  15. Nov 2, 2011
    Rage is an interesting mix of Fallout 3 and Borderlands with the sort of spin on first person shooting that only ID can recreate. Despite the complaints about texture pop-in, you're more likely to ignore little technicaly faults like that when you're knee deep in bandits shooting at you. I do appreciate that it has a much more mature, darker style of gameplay and the graphics are generallyRage is an interesting mix of Fallout 3 and Borderlands with the sort of spin on first person shooting that only ID can recreate. Despite the complaints about texture pop-in, you're more likely to ignore little technicaly faults like that when you're knee deep in bandits shooting at you. I do appreciate that it has a much more mature, darker style of gameplay and the graphics are generally pretty damn astounding. The real letdown comes from the fact that even with the small abundance of side missions, the game is really quite short. Say, within the 10-12 hour range. It's still good for a short ride though, just don't go in expecting the depth and exploration elements that are more familiar with Bestheda's other games Expand
  16. Nov 25, 2011
    After all the hype this game got, i am extremely crushed to my core. The graphics aren't event that good and the world that your given is rather small. Its like a mix of borderlands and fallout 3, but made rubbish, well, rubbish is a strong word. Very average to say the least. You cant even level up, leaving all the repetitive tasks you have to do pointless, it might be worth a rental at most
  17. Feb 23, 2012
    When you think of a game from ID you think of some good solid games like Doom . Rage had alot of hype and from the screen shots and trailers it looked very promising . Then i got to play it and the first thing i noticed right off the bat was just how god awful the texture pop in was . yes thoose graphics and facial animations look great when they don't take 5 seconds to load up. nowWhen you think of a game from ID you think of some good solid games like Doom . Rage had alot of hype and from the screen shots and trailers it looked very promising . Then i got to play it and the first thing i noticed right off the bat was just how god awful the texture pop in was . yes thoose graphics and facial animations look great when they don't take 5 seconds to load up. now texture pop ups to me is a small gripe if the game play is solid and fun and story is entertaining ... unfortunitly Rage doesnt do much better there eather. the gun play is good and solid and wepon selection great but the story is so abysmally dull you will not give a crap on what is going on. also the missions are just very very bland and repetitive . this game borrows heavily from boarderlands with out the fun, 4 player co-op or HUGE open world to run through. had this game had a huge open world , better missions, a some what a decent story . it could have been a pretty good game worth $60 as it is ... its not even worth renting because of ID's retarded move to lock out some of the the games story content if you dont buy it new. id say im glad i only payed $18 for this new on Amazon only 2 months after it came out but i kind of can't but i atleast can say i am glad i didn't pay $60 for it because if i did it would get a lower score. it took me 3 months to finish the game because i was so bored with the game and not because it was long . it's only about 12 hours which actauly isn't bad for a FPS game but when its so boring i cant play it longer then 20-30 min at a sit down because i know longer give a crap... well that says alot about the game. Expand
  18. Mar 2, 2012
    I'm not sure what the professional reviewers were smoking or drinking to give this game an 80 plus rating. It contains so many problems. I suspect the reviewers concentrated only on the graphics which are really really well done. However, good graphics should be a compliment to the game not the sole criteria by which the game is judged. Just off the top of my head, enemies mutter the sameI'm not sure what the professional reviewers were smoking or drinking to give this game an 80 plus rating. It contains so many problems. I suspect the reviewers concentrated only on the graphics which are really really well done. However, good graphics should be a compliment to the game not the sole criteria by which the game is judged. Just off the top of my head, enemies mutter the same two or three lines "He's over here" or some obsenity I can't put in print here. Game is very linear fetchquest. You go see a character who is a stand still animation mainly saying "Can you help me out?" Over and over. The game is quite linear. The enemies are challenging yet idiots. You can pop one in the head and blood will splatter on the piller behind him but he is totally fine right. Able to just stand there again. Perhaps it would be attention to detail to not have the blood splatter til the character is actually injured to death. And on top of that who gets shot in the head and just kinda hangs out waiting to get popped again? The enemies also retreat on you when it would be a better option to mob you. Essentially they allow you to easily transverse an area by making their attack weaker and less intelligent. Apart from this game having beautiful graphics and being a shooter game it has so many shortcomings. Don't get me wrong this can be a fun game but to get a high rating it also has to have some top end features, which is does not apart from the graphics and graphics alone. Expand
  19. Oct 22, 2011
    This game was definetly over hyped and being that it took 5 years with no dead line to reach, makes this game probably the flop of the year for sure. Graphics are the best around and it seems that id just soley concentrated on that alone. Even so the graphics with this game engine needs 2-3 seconds to load the textures when moving the camera. So even the graphics have issues. TheThis game was definetly over hyped and being that it took 5 years with no dead line to reach, makes this game probably the flop of the year for sure. Graphics are the best around and it seems that id just soley concentrated on that alone. Even so the graphics with this game engine needs 2-3 seconds to load the textures when moving the camera. So even the graphics have issues. The linear missions, length, multiplayer, and ending just make me wonder what was id doing for 5 years BESIDES hyping this game up. They definetly should be ashamed and they are, for they just postponed DOOM 4 indefintly. Expand
  20. Dec 18, 2011
    Good: Graphically the game looks amazing! The screen tearing didnt bother me, it was acceptiable. Game play is sily smooth, with amazing feeling when you have gun battles. Atmosphere is scary when youre exploring the dead city. The music and sound effects are great as well.

Bad: The whole "Racing" I found to be very childish, it felt like it was just filler to make the game seem longer.

Story, had a very good start. But then it just became not intresting. The ending of the game, felt like it was rushed. The game had alot of potential, but it just felt like a small area to play in and the gameplay was very linear. Overall I wanted my experience to last in this world, but it was too short and not deep enough.
  21. Nov 8, 2011
    Rage is my biggest let down of the year. the story is poor and the action is repetitive.I could go on about rage all day but all i need to say is the on the PS3 this game is as good as broken. The graphic pop in and screen tare is that bad i couldn't play it . to top this ID showed of the game saying it was on the PS3 when it quite clearly wasn't as we would have all seen the shoddy jobRage is my biggest let down of the year. the story is poor and the action is repetitive.I could go on about rage all day but all i need to say is the on the PS3 this game is as good as broken. The graphic pop in and screen tare is that bad i couldn't play it . to top this ID showed of the game saying it was on the PS3 when it quite clearly wasn't as we would have all seen the shoddy job they did on the ps3. Very poor. i will not be buying another ID game again Expand
  22. Nov 14, 2011
    The definition of a mediocre game. Many things detract from an experience that could of contended with the other holiday blockbusters, only some of which I will mention. The lack of guns available really impacts the amount of fun to be had in each individual hostile encounter, with each mission always requiring the trip back to stock up on the assault rifle ammo. Linear hallways and roadsThe definition of a mediocre game. Many things detract from an experience that could of contended with the other holiday blockbusters, only some of which I will mention. The lack of guns available really impacts the amount of fun to be had in each individual hostile encounter, with each mission always requiring the trip back to stock up on the assault rifle ammo. Linear hallways and roads soon become an reoccurring theme, with the top-notch AI trying its best to impress with acrobatic manoeuvres and random gun play. Now for Rage's main selling point, its graphics. E3 demos and footage released afterwards showcased the outstanding technical marvel that iD had created, but unfortunately, well for my copy at least, Rage is plagued with 2-3 second delays in texture loading. This may not sound too bad, but with Rage's frantic AI jumping all over the place, each time you look around your greeted with PS2 looking graphics. This review may sound quite negative, but there are very few aspects worthy of praise, rather a quick nod and a mumbled grunt of approval. Rage could of been better, grmph. Expand
  23. Aug 8, 2012
    This game had interesting gameplay ideas, sadly most fall flat on their face, in similiar matter to another FPS called Brink. The gunplay is terrible at times due to enemies being walking bullet sponges, able to take 2 shots to the head to be killed. Combine this with the lack of different we aponry and you have a pretty generic shooter the only redeeming element in combat being theThis game had interesting gameplay ideas, sadly most fall flat on their face, in similiar matter to another FPS called Brink. The gunplay is terrible at times due to enemies being walking bullet sponges, able to take 2 shots to the head to be killed. Combine this with the lack of different we aponry and you have a pretty generic shooter the only redeeming element in combat being the wingsticks. Sure the graphics are pretty but I couldn't give 2 **** about graphics. If you want an interesting and long lasting apocalypse game then just go get Fallout for the PC. 7/10 Expand
  24. Mar 14, 2012
    I tried to like this game, but it really just wasn't that good. The environment graphics were quite nice though the characters didn't look great and were animated poorly, but it just wasn't that interesting. The game ends very suddenly in a way like its setting you up for a much more impressive sequel, but its not a game deserving of a sequel imo. Either that or they got sick of making itI tried to like this game, but it really just wasn't that good. The environment graphics were quite nice though the characters didn't look great and were animated poorly, but it just wasn't that interesting. The game ends very suddenly in a way like its setting you up for a much more impressive sequel, but its not a game deserving of a sequel imo. Either that or they got sick of making it so rushed a quick ending out.
    It felt a bit like a chore at times, and the racing/driving stuff can get pretty annoying. The shooting is generally good but its a bit easy on normal mode (usually I suck at FPS but this was a breeze) and can get to be a chore when its just waves of easily killable mutants running at you and you can't leave the area until you've shot them all.
  25. Oct 18, 2011
    This is a game that lacks an identity. I have played 20 hours so far, and I don't know if the developers wanted this to be a first-person shooter, or a racing game. The racing portion was well-made. The vehicles have decent handling and the power-ups make the races quite a bit more interesting by forcing the player to strategize and adapt while racing. The vehicle customization isThis is a game that lacks an identity. I have played 20 hours so far, and I don't know if the developers wanted this to be a first-person shooter, or a racing game. The racing portion was well-made. The vehicles have decent handling and the power-ups make the races quite a bit more interesting by forcing the player to strategize and adapt while racing. The vehicle customization is enjoyable, although the selections lacked depth. Vehicle driving consumes a large portion of the first 20 hours of the game. The first-person portion was a bit of a let down to me. The quests are monotonous and repetitive. Small, uni-directional environments make for an uninteresting quest experience. The weapons are difficult to aim, and it seems as though all of the weapons have the same damage effects as well as the same sound effects. The enemies are either over-powered or under-powered, and have incredibly bad A.I. Also, there is no cover system implemented in this game, and your character can often be shot or killed through objects, making for a frustrating gaming experience. Through the first 20 hours of game play, very little information is given on the background of your character (or other characters), and this alienates the player from the game world. There is no feeling of immersion and there is no emotional bond with this game. However, the portion I was really impressed with was the graphics rendering. This game is almost certainly the best-looking PS3 game I have ever played. The game has an impressive environment and art direction. The most impressive graphics feature, however, is that the environment doesn't blur when there is movement on-screen, or when panning the camera. Graphics-wise, this game is beautiful. Expand
  26. Oct 29, 2011
    I have PS3 and PC version of RAGE and both are broken. I bought PC version on launch but being an AMD/ATi graphic card user, I could not run the game. Id's John Carmack simply blame AMD for the issue which is very unprofessional. It took more than a week for a patch to be release but the game suffers from texture pop in. I gave up the PC version and bought the PS3 version. The PS3 versionI have PS3 and PC version of RAGE and both are broken. I bought PC version on launch but being an AMD/ATi graphic card user, I could not run the game. Id's John Carmack simply blame AMD for the issue which is very unprofessional. It took more than a week for a patch to be release but the game suffers from texture pop in. I gave up the PC version and bought the PS3 version. The PS3 version looks like **** and suffers from the exact same texture pop in. That's totally unacceptable!!! Killzone 3 and Uncharted 2/3 show off the PS3 hardware correctly, id software spent 5 **** years to develop this broken piece of **** I will not buy another product from id or Bethesda ever again. Expand
  27. Dec 27, 2011
    Crappy game all around, from screen tearing to dumb as a rock storyline. Texture pop-ins and developers keeping silent about any and all issues show how much they care about this rat crap they made. Worth a buy when it's 10 bucks, which should be soon seeing as it's dropped to 20 at a ton of places. Shame on ID being put in Bethesda's grimy money hungry stable of D- developers. PureCrappy game all around, from screen tearing to dumb as a rock storyline. Texture pop-ins and developers keeping silent about any and all issues show how much they care about this rat crap they made. Worth a buy when it's 10 bucks, which should be soon seeing as it's dropped to 20 at a ton of places. Shame on ID being put in Bethesda's grimy money hungry stable of D- developers. Pure garbage, stay away! Expand
  28. Oct 10, 2011
    I hate to be a downer, but this game disappointed me from the start.. and I didn't even have that high of expectations for it tbh. Graphically, its superior for any multiplatform release to date.. unless you turn your head, all the textures reload.. its worse then the unreal engine which does the same thing from time to time (which ive always felt was one of the worst engines used). ItI hate to be a downer, but this game disappointed me from the start.. and I didn't even have that high of expectations for it tbh. Graphically, its superior for any multiplatform release to date.. unless you turn your head, all the textures reload.. its worse then the unreal engine which does the same thing from time to time (which ive always felt was one of the worst engines used). It doesn't effect gameplay, its just annoying and distracts you. Otherwise, the environment looks engaging. Invisible walls and guided paths are everywhere. You basically go in a straight line, occasionally diverted by a rock so its a slight curve, and then your back in a straight line again. It wasn't suppose to be a linear game, yet thats exactly what it is. The plot is one of the most basic and boring ones that I've seen for a long time. Dialogue is plain and the voice acting isn't much better. I tried to like this game, I did.. But I never could enjoy it enough to warrant its purchase. You have no customization in your character, and you get to use about 6 different guns. You'll just use the assault rifle when its clear its the most powerful. The game borrows ideas heavily from Borderlands, such as the mission structure, which is just - Go to point A, kill same enemy 12 times, Return to base. Repeat.. And it tries to use some of Fallout's ideas, but never gets it right. Such as some of the enemies are generic rip offs from those used in F3 and New Vegas.. Overall, if I was starting to have fun, it was killed quickly. Driving is repetitive and boring. If you want a good authentic "post apocalyptic" experience, go with Fallout... as this is pretty much just the in-bred retarded child of Fallout 3 and Borderlands... Its only pro - better graphics.. should have spent all that time developing a plot! Expand
  29. Oct 8, 2011
    I was so looking forward to this game, and of it's technological potential. Unfortunatly the ID tech 5 engine needs some tweaks as I have a lot of pop-up and the quality of the texture overall is mixed. Having a blast with the races though, too bad it's the online thing you can do online (I would've expected at least a deatchmatch and team deatchmatch option). overall just a moderate butI was so looking forward to this game, and of it's technological potential. Unfortunatly the ID tech 5 engine needs some tweaks as I have a lot of pop-up and the quality of the texture overall is mixed. Having a blast with the races though, too bad it's the online thing you can do online (I would've expected at least a deatchmatch and team deatchmatch option). overall just a moderate but mostly enjoyable experience Expand
  30. Oct 4, 2011
    Awesome game! amazing graphics, fun story, racing cars is a cool twist. It's a really great shooter with unique elements that make it different than a standard military type FPS. The graphics are worth the price of admission alone!

1. Ultimately, RAGE is soulless and short-lived. Jack up the difficulty for more of a challenge, but underneath a few stand-out moments is a shooter that's been outclassed and out gunned. [Dec 2011, p78]
  2. There is not a lot of leveling or depth to be found in Rage, but you can have some fun with building your own weapons and toying around with several gadgets. We particularly liked the remote controlled cars that can be equipped with explosives. [Nov 2011, p.82]
  3. Dec 1, 2011
    A weak, aimless story and limited freedom to explore betray the fun, varied and creative combat in this beautiful post-apocalyptic wasteland. [Christmas 2011, p.104]