• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Oct 1, 2013
7.9

1. Oct 2, 2013
    In short Rain is beautiful,short,sad and immersive. Like every game it does come with flaws....the main ones being how short it is and once you beat it that's pretty much it....however if you can immerse yourself in this beautiful,stunning world then you will come out of this game like me amazed.
  2. Nov 6, 2013
    One of the best gaming artistic experiences I ever had. Set in a European city, probably Paris, in a wet raining night, escaping from what it is the metaphor of an illness. In terms of gameplay it may seem a bit weak, but that its not what the games focus on, it is all about the experience. Also you bet you will still manage to die anyway. I have been a bit disappointed by the ending, that like the prologue turned into a water colours clip. But apart from that the journey gives what intended to, what any lover of raining days does expect. It can't be missed, you won't regret it. Expand
  3. Oct 3, 2013
    Sadly, rain doesn't make anything out of it's interesting wet vs. dry concepts, instead let's you walk through an extremely linear gameworld and do the same, simple, boring and uninspired stuff you've done in too many similar games before. Push a box here to climb up there. Pull a lever here, jump there. The graphics, while pretty, are technically surprisingly weak and the story is exactly what you'd expect. The solutions to each area are obvious but the game still holds your hand throughout the game and tells you what to do before you even get to try anything. It's not that you can't have good moments with this game, it's just that it's so forgettable and uninspired. Expand
  4. Nov 21, 2013
    Rain has to be my best purchase this year! With a beautiful soundtrack and wonderful atmosphere I got sucked into the world of rain almost immediately. It's the type of game that only comes around once every couple of years. Everything was so perfect there's nothing i can say i would change. If i had to pick one word to describe this game it would "Simple".
  5. Oct 8, 2013
    You have to be patient to understand and appreciate what RAIN is all about. It's an indie game (and a beautiful, haunting one), that captivated me right from the first minute. The loneliness, the magic, the music, the atmosphere. For some reason it reminds me of Carlos Ruiz Zafon's books, I don't know why. But also, ICO. It is is a [very] short game, yes. But trust me, it won't matter. It's not about length; it's about feeling. And RAIN delivers it. A lot, actually. I honestly think this game should not be missed. Expand
  6. Oct 6, 2013
    Nice "indie style game", great story in the line of Journey and others. Great songs but a little repetitive. In 3-4 hours you can beat the game but as a great replay value. I ever recommend this type of games, are really pleasant! Sorry forr my english and greatings from Spain, Enjoy this game!
  7. Nov 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can't understand how some people do not see the beauty in this game. The water colors at the prologue and ending were just outstanding, sure it made it a little hard to see things, but its WATERCOLOR. The music was very good in my opinion it had that sorrow feeling of the two being trapped in the European city, most likely Italy. The story was probably familiar, we've all seen those cheesy movie. But at the end when the Unknown crushed the boy I was generally shocked. I thought that monster was dead and the girl left because she thought the boy was like her, really sick, was just a little sad.

At that one part in the story where the girl finds her real home and then sees her sick little body and tries to wake herself up, that was done well. It was sad. Could you imagine being trapped in a rainy world then finding your sick body in a bed not waking up? Then afterwards when the Unknown came into the house and chased the girl away I thought she was gone for good. Then she popped back up again in The Unknown Town, where you had to find a way through the city to meet with her again and finally up an end the the creature of the night by opening the doors of the real city.

The camera angles were a bit weird and hard to control at times and there were probably bugs, but its not a perfect game. No game is. Not your Call of Duty, your MineCraft or even The Last of Us. They aren't perfect games.

Now I think early on most people gave this game negativity because 'lack of game play', I don't think people of this generation appreciate games like this anymore. It wasn't about the game play, but the experience and story.

I love how the watercolors were implanted instead of making it a rainy cut-scene. It gives an art style you don't see in games nowadays and it still manages to uphold that watery feel to the game.

It's a short game only 8 chapters long, but I promise you won't regret it if you're into these kind of games.
  8. Oct 2, 2013
    This is actually a really fun game. Well, part game and part experience. It doesn't let you stray too far from the main directive but it is a great experience. Whether you buy it full price or at a discount this is worth every penny.
  9. Nov 2, 2013
    Rain puts you in the role of a young boy who, for reasons that are never comprehensively explained, finds himself invisible and thus can only been seen when standing in the pouring rain. Pretty soon he meets up with a young girl, who also happens to be invisible, and together they attempt to avoid the strange creatures they are stalking them through the night. When walking under shelter the boy cannot be seen and the majority of the gameplay sees the player utilizing the visibility of the boy, and other creatures, in the rain to solve various puzzles and tasks.

As with many of these smaller budget games Rain isn't without its flaws and certainly some of the better ideas needed to be developed further. The text narrative, that is at first helpful in explaining the plot, soon becomes rather intrusive and often leads the player by the hand rather than allowing to explore things for themselves. While it was only ever a minor annoyance I could also have done without a number of deaths that were caused by either not quite knowing I was when invisible or because of unhelpful camera angles.

Despite these flaws however I did find Rain as easy game to enjoy. The excellent atmosphere created by the invisibility effects and the haunting soundtrack instantly drew me in and, whilst the central gameplay is certainly not as intelligent as something like Braid, there are more than enough clever puzzles and ideas to fill out the games three to four hour running time. You’ll have decide for yourself whether £10 is good value for such a short game but I’d heartily recommend giving it a try.
  10. Feb 5, 2014
    This game was good looking but boy was it boring. The "puzzles" aren't much of a puzzle if it is obvious. It introduces concepts that I thought would get harder but they just disappear. Lots of just walking around in the rain. Hardest part was sometimes you couldn't figure out where you were because you are invisible and only have footprints to locate. Story was arty nonsense.
  11. Oct 18, 2013
    Like an E-rated "LIMBO," "Rain" is a beautiful, dark, atmospheric piece that has a more innocent heart at its core. It is the perfect game to play during a quiet, rainy, lonely evening at home. The story is simplistic and doesn't come with any real 'twists' or surprises at any point, but it works for the kind of experience that the game is intended to provide. If you've enjoyed independent artsy games along the vein of LIMBO, Journey, and Unfinished Swan, then this is exactly the kind of experience you'd come to expect, and it fits nicely as another example of the many independent games which have come out in recent years which could be considered "art." Expand
  12. Oct 10, 2013
    You have to know what to expect before going into Rain. If you expect a highly obvious, complex, or action-packed game, you'll leave disappointed. However, if you enter it, just wanting a fresh artistic experience amid all the generic action crap nowadays, you'll definitely be impressed. It's a beautiful story with highly unique gameplay, and that's what I'm looking for in games most of all. Draw your own interpretations. Honestly, it felt like one of those darker Disney movies they used to produce before this past decade. However, I found issues with its constant pressuring you to advance. You don't have enough time to appreciate the atmosphere and read the captions because usually the enemies are chasing you and whatnot. Other than that, it was a great experience, and I hope Sony produces more of them. This on top of Beyond: Two Souls, which I'm playing now (Amazing!). We need more fresh experiences and less trendy, generic action crap, once again! Expand
  13. Oct 17, 2013
    Rain is a wonderful game to play in terms of visuals and sounds, but the gameplay mechanic doesn't settle as either deep or simple. Instead it's in a limbo where the gameplay often simplifies to focus on story and characters which is fine, but then throws in some mediocre puzzles with too much focus on trial and error. I want to invest my mind into the world of rain but the gameplay prevented me from doing so. The storytelling can be abstract but in an enjoyable way that makes you curious rather than repulsed. I was not fond of the text popping up as it made the story unbearably unsubtle to me, but I still cared for the two main characters by the end so it's not major. Play it if you like artistic puzzle games such as Ico, just don't expect Rain to be as good in gameplay quality as Ico is. Expand
  14. Nov 1, 2013
    Imaginative, thoughtful, and endearing, however, I thought it was too short and not challenging enough; more an auditory/visual treat than game that will challenge you 7.5/10
  15. Nov 4, 2013
    The game is great stealth game that is very pretty and has great sound design that unfortunately overstays its welcome.

The game's premise is interesting, enough to keep you until the end to find out what's going on. And the ending does wrap things up quite nicely, with some great Fridge Brilliance concepts. The premise of a boy lost in a strange world of invisible creatures that only
    appear because the rain is falling on them keeps you on your toes, always wondering if one of those things is going to jump out into the rain and eat you dead. The stealth element is wonderfully done, with you knowing well when you're hidden and when you're visible. There's very few times in the game when you as the player can't deduce where he is, as things like footprints and upturned dust and items always provide clues to where your character is moving.

The music and visual design are very well done, though the beginning and ending cutscenes with the vague watercolor style may feel a little misplaced. The soft constant rain is soothing and the sound of enemy feet tense. The narrative, told through floating words, is wonderfully done, though it can be taken as a lot of telling instead of showing sometimes. I could feel my character's unease when walking away from encounters with enemies, as he folded his hands and glanced about, and as he shielded his eyes against the rain, peering into the darkness around him. The level design and camera can be annoying sometimes, with the way forward not always properly marked or highlighted, and the camera sometimes favoring the vista over seeing where your character should be standing. That being said, unless you specifically jump, it is often times impossible to run your character off a ledge he wasn't supposed to jump off, which means you can focus a little more on the vistas presented. The game has a hints system, but it is selective as to when you're allowed to see the hints, and when it does, they're just telling you the logic behind the puzzle, which most of the time you've already figured out; what would be better in the few times you need a hint would be to point out the place in the landscape you need to go, which it what it often times does without your prompt with movable boxes and climbable ladders.

Unfortunately, the game paradoxically is both too short and too long. Many gameplay elements are introduced, used once or twice, and then completely forgotten about. For example, a gameplay element in the first chapter, breaking down scaffolding, is needed to get to the level exit, but is never used again afterwards. There's a great element introduced later about moving cover that is used maybe twice immediately after it was introduced. The story feels like it reaches its climax in chapter 5, only for it to continue for another 3 chapters after with repeated gameplay. The story during these last 3 chapters feels like it's stuck on loop, with gameplay using mechanics only from the first chapter and none of the later ones, and will have you saying "Oh, come on! Not again!" right up until the actually quite excellent ending.

If you like stealth gameplay, it's a must get. Just be forewarned that you may be a little irritated by how long it feels like its going, and by how long it actually went.
  16. Dec 21, 2013
    This was a very unique and Good game, from both the style of which the story is told down to the game play itself. It is not a long game but it is an engrossing one with some bit replayability also.
  17. Apr 2, 2014
    This is what could be if Silent Hill was a fairytail. I absolutely loved an atmosphere, world design and music. The end is pretty much predictable, however I still loved it. 10 0f 10.
  18. Jan 26, 2014

1. Apr 19, 2014
    Without any multiplayer, exploration, or any other significant points of interest, Rain is a short, easy ride you'd be hard-pressed to venture into more than once.
  2. Mar 11, 2014
    Rain is sad, beautiful and highly playable. [Nov 2013]
  3. Rain drops shows more than just silhouettes, with its great take on atmosphere and beautiful musical score, Rain is a classic.