rain PlayStation 3

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Oct 1, 2013
7.9

1. Nov 2, 2013
    Rain puts you in the role of a young boy who, for reasons that are never comprehensively explained, finds himself invisible and thus can only been seen when standing in the pouring rain. Pretty soon he meets up with a young girl, who also happens to be invisible, and together they attempt to avoid the strange creatures they are stalking them through the night. When walking under shelterRain puts you in the role of a young boy who, for reasons that are never comprehensively explained, finds himself invisible and thus can only been seen when standing in the pouring rain. Pretty soon he meets up with a young girl, who also happens to be invisible, and together they attempt to avoid the strange creatures they are stalking them through the night. When walking under shelter the boy cannot be seen and the majority of the gameplay sees the player utilizing the visibility of the boy, and other creatures, in the rain to solve various puzzles and tasks.

As with many of these smaller budget games Rain isn't without its flaws and certainly some of the better ideas needed to be developed further. The text narrative, that is at first helpful in explaining the plot, soon becomes rather intrusive and often leads the player by the hand rather than allowing to explore things for themselves. While it was only ever a minor annoyance I could also have done without a number of deaths that were caused by either not quite knowing I was when invisible or because of unhelpful camera angles.

Despite these flaws however I did find Rain as easy game to enjoy. The excellent atmosphere created by the invisibility effects and the haunting soundtrack instantly drew me in and, whilst the central gameplay is certainly not as intelligent as something like Braid, there are more than enough clever puzzles and ideas to fill out the games three to four hour running time. You’ll have decide for yourself whether £10 is good value for such a short game but I’d heartily recommend giving it a try.
  2. Oct 10, 2014
    Valutare Rain non è facile. Avrete già capito da soli, leggendo questa recensione, che questo videogioco non è adatto a tutti e che purtroppo in pochi sapranno apprezzarlo. Pur mostrandosi con un’idea originale non ne sfrutta il potenziale e cade nella sua stessa semplicità che porterà il giocatore a dover ripetere le stesse azioni per le 3-4 ore che gli saranno necessarie a completare ilValutare Rain non è facile. Avrete già capito da soli, leggendo questa recensione, che questo videogioco non è adatto a tutti e che purtroppo in pochi sapranno apprezzarlo. Pur mostrandosi con un’idea originale non ne sfrutta il potenziale e cade nella sua stessa semplicità che porterà il giocatore a dover ripetere le stesse azioni per le 3-4 ore che gli saranno necessarie a completare il gioco. Una volta terminato, iniziando una nuova partita troverete sparsi per le strade dei ricordi che racconteranno il passato dei due bambini. Se ritenete di poter metter da parte l’azione e la frenesia a cui i videogiochi ci hanno abituato e gli darete un’occasione, Rain vi prenderà per mano e vi catturerà con la sua malinconia. Ma se pensate di non potervi concedere una pausa dalle vostre guerriglie online, rilassandovi guardando la pioggia cadere sui vostri schermi, non considerate l’acquisto di questa poetica esperienza. La scelta è quindi vincolata ai vostri gusti personali, per questo non ritengo di poter consigliarne l’acquisto, anche se la qualità del titolo è indubbiamente buona. Aprirete gli ombrelli per ripararvi dalla pioggia o vi lascerete trasportare da questa fiaba? Expand
  3. Aug 10, 2015
    Brings back fond memories of PS2-era gaming. It's atmosphere and gameplay are reminiscent of ICO and the earlier titles in the Silent Hill series. It doesn't reach the gameplay depth or trigger the same emotional response those games do, but it certainly tries. The result is a nostalgic trip down memory lane that made me feel like I had rediscovered the PS2 all over again. It's just aBrings back fond memories of PS2-era gaming. It's atmosphere and gameplay are reminiscent of ICO and the earlier titles in the Silent Hill series. It doesn't reach the gameplay depth or trigger the same emotional response those games do, but it certainly tries. The result is a nostalgic trip down memory lane that made me feel like I had rediscovered the PS2 all over again. It's just a shame the package isn't more satisfying as a whole.

The gameplay itself is straightforward. It's a linear and brief experience. The puzzles it throws in you way are simple. Dodging or outrunning monsters makes up the rest of the gameplay. The stealth is pretty well done thanks to the game's unique mechanic that makes the characters and enemies only visible while standing in the rain. Some of the game's most enjoyable sections take full advantage of this. While the chase segments do have some tension, none of the game is really difficult at all. While fun, the experience available here partly relies on it's story and evoking an emotional response from the player.

It's kind of an interesting tale. I never really felt invested in it's characters, but I certainly wanted to know more about it's world. Unfortunately the game doesn't give any answers. I personally didn't find it to be that emotional of a tale, but I certainly see it being that way for the majority of gamers who play it. The world is brought to life thanks to a fantastic soundtrack and audio cues. My personal favorite part of the game is that it feels like it's part survival-horror.

While elements of the game do fall short it is an overall solid experience. One that is fun while it lasts. Unfortunately it doesn't last long, and outside of some collectible "memories" that unlock during a second playthrough there isn't much of a reason to give it a second go. Still, there are many who are going to love the emotional tale it tells and the artistic style of presentation. While I did want more from it overall, I still find it to be an enjoyable, if flawed game. I personally think it's worth playing for the PS2-era vibe alone.
  4. Oct 17, 2013
    Rain is a wonderful game to play in terms of visuals and sounds, but the gameplay mechanic doesn't settle as either deep or simple. Instead it's in a limbo where the gameplay often simplifies to focus on story and characters which is fine, but then throws in some mediocre puzzles with too much focus on trial and error. I want to invest my mind into the world of rain but the gameplayRain is a wonderful game to play in terms of visuals and sounds, but the gameplay mechanic doesn't settle as either deep or simple. Instead it's in a limbo where the gameplay often simplifies to focus on story and characters which is fine, but then throws in some mediocre puzzles with too much focus on trial and error. I want to invest my mind into the world of rain but the gameplay prevented me from doing so. The storytelling can be abstract but in an enjoyable way that makes you curious rather than repulsed. I was not fond of the text popping up as it made the story unbearably unsubtle to me, but I still cared for the two main characters by the end so it's not major. Play it if you like artistic puzzle games such as Ico, just don't expect Rain to be as good in gameplay quality as Ico is. Expand
  5. Jul 13, 2015
    Rain is a beautiful looking game. Sadly, that's about all that stands out. I get where the creators where going, but the problem isn't that the creators didn't have a vision, it's that they didn't have much of one. The game followers the story of a boy and girl trying escape a maze and variant monsters. Not the least of which is something called the unknown which shows up constantly. EveryRain is a beautiful looking game. Sadly, that's about all that stands out. I get where the creators where going, but the problem isn't that the creators didn't have a vision, it's that they didn't have much of one. The game followers the story of a boy and girl trying escape a maze and variant monsters. Not the least of which is something called the unknown which shows up constantly. Every level feels like it's own puzzle, but there isn't much variety in that area either. But, for an indy game that doesn't overstay it's welcome, it's to be expected.

A problem I had with this game is that the game will sometimes show you the story but then explains the action. Words will appear, and by the time you notice them, they would have already left. Which causes another problem all together, because most of the story is told to you through those words. It didn't succeed in making me interesting in what was going on in the game. If anything it only made me want to finish this game just so I could put it behind me.

The major problem this game suffers, is that it is too eager to hold the players hand. The game will constantly ask to give you hints, not because you don't know what to do, but because you didn't do it fast enough. The first play through had nothing to collect, and the second play through just ins't worth it. I'm not saying that the developers didn't make a good running game, so much as they made a monotonous game.

All in all, the idea of being an invisible person that can only be seen in the rain sound nice on paper, but that's really all the game has going for it. For all intensive purposes the game is just boring. The game runs well, but there isn't much going on for the game to stand out. By every meaning of the word, Rain is just average. 5/10

1. Apr 19, 2014
    Without any multiplayer, exploration, or any other significant points of interest, Rain is a short, easy ride you'd be hard-pressed to venture into more than once.
  2. Pelit (Finland)
    Mar 11, 2014
    Rain is sad, beautiful and highly playable. [Nov 2013]
  3. Rain drops shows more than just silhouettes, with its great take on atmosphere and beautiful musical score, Rain is a classic.