6.6

1. Feb 24, 2015
    I'm not a big fan of turn-based game so my review is from that point of view, if you're a fan of those game you might disagree in many points. I played this game thanks to the PS+ subscription but I'll review it like if i bought it as is no longer available for free.
    So here we go, let's begin by saying that the tutorial of the game is very well made and you'll learn a lot about how to beat the game in the first few hours. The combat system, which can be qualified of "tactic" (aka turn based in chess-like arena) is quite basic,and will not make you think too hard.
    From the technical point , I didn't have a single bug on my walkthrough (it's an accomplishment for this little studio giving the size of the world), the graphics are far from amazing but cute, with nice musics, globally it reminds me of Pokemon : my little character wondering in this cute large world and fighting cartoonish monsters.
    Now let's talk about the main point of this game, its length it took me 60 hours to finish the main story and 75 to finish all the side-quests, it's huge for a 15$ game, so we may think it's good, but for me it was far too much, the story and side-quests are absolutely not engaging and after 45-50 hours of the same combat mechanics and same music the end of the game really felt like a chore (and the first 40 hours weren't absolute fun too).
    Rainbow Moon was too ambitious and should have spend more time on spicing its combat and story instead of making you harvesting the world for parts/ingredients.
    Not a bad game at all, but not very entertaining which remain my main reason for gaming;
  2. Jul 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Buyers Remorse
    I purchased this game after hearing "It's a throwback to Final Fantasy Tactics!" Far from it. If you want your FFT fix try out Disgaea or try the demo out and decide for yourself.
  3. Jul 14, 2012
    I'm still a little up in the air about this game, seeing as I'm not super-far in it yet. However, there are a few things that I wanted to talk about. First off, it's not really a strategy game. It's more of your typical turn-based RPG. Though you do move around a tiled arena, not much actual strategy comes into play, besides just positional tactics. The rest is pretty standard RPG stuff,I'm still a little up in the air about this game, seeing as I'm not super-far in it yet. However, there are a few things that I wanted to talk about. First off, it's not really a strategy game. It's more of your typical turn-based RPG. Though you do move around a tiled arena, not much actual strategy comes into play, besides just positional tactics. The rest is pretty standard RPG stuff, like when to use which skills and when to block; that sort of stuff. I began on hard/adventurous and I ended up restarting the game on normal, because the grind is a horrendous. The way it works is that you'll encounter a new monster in which you cannot sustain several consecutive battles with, forcing you to go back to the weaker monsters until you are strong enough. This process repeated itself several times, until I decided to restart.

Another thing is the other characters. It's a frustrating double-edged sword. On one hand, it's nice to have the extra damage, but on the other hand only characters that land the finishing blow get rainbow pearls (sort of a currency for buying stats when you level). I can't describe what a horrible mechanic this is. It really cripples the strategy element, because I'm constantly having to worry about which characters land the killing blow so that they can get stat points. It doesn't really add any depth, because most of the time it just contradicts whatever established strategy you may have. Kind of like in Oblivion, where you had to carefully plan what skills you were leveing in order to get decent stats bonuses each level. It's poor design, frustrating and not fun. I'm forced to use characters in situations that I don't want because I need them to finish enemies off. Likewise, in Oblivion, I had to use skills that I didn't want to in order to stay ahead of the curve. Ugh.

Lastly, I don't really like the way they handled the darkness and food systems. Darkness (like when you're in a cave or when it's dark out) requires that you have torches lit. You can find them or buy them almost anywhere, they don't have terribly long lifespans, and they take up room in your inventory. I don't feel that it was implemented well because it's annoying when you don't have them, but they're not all that hard to acquire; it doesn't really add to the immersion. It's just something else to keep track of, and it doesn't affect any other aspects of the game so far. Food is kind of the same situation; it's not hard to get, but you still need to carry it for when your characters get hungry. Again, it just doesn't really add anything to the game, and it just feels like it was thrown in for the hell of it.

A few positives are the music and the colorful visuals. Those kind of things really vary from person to person, though. One thing the game does that I really, really like are the random battles. The way it works is that when you are walking around, you'll get prompted with a battle. It tells you how many of what monsters, and you can choose to engage. I've grown a little tired of randomized battles over the years, and this totally fixes my qualms with them. It's simple, but genius in my opinion. My only issue is that sometimes the prompt doesn't last very long (like less than a second), so I've missed a few battles that way. But it's fine most of the time. Not all of the combat is randomized, though. There are several persistent enemies on the map in which you have to bump into to initiate combat. Much of the time those mobs block paths, so it's mandatory.

I also wanted to mention the questing system, not necessarily as a negative or a positive. It has the whole yellow exclamation point thing (which MMOs have made me hate) for the main quest, but all of the side quests are tucked within the dialogue of the NPCs. They don't tell you exactly where or how to complete them (i.e. it doesn't put a marker on your map). However, they're pretty simple at this point (like get this rare drop from this monster). Overall, I think it's a nice mix of giving the player direction, but leaving some to be discovered.

There's a crafting system of sorts. Weapons and armor have slots in which you can place in certain drops from monsters that give you extra stats. I'm not sure how deep the system gets, but it's pretty simplistic, early on anyway.

I'm taking a little break from it for now. I may go back to it, but it feels I'd just be forcing myself to at this point.
  4. Aug 10, 2012
    In this day and age, no one wants to spend more time leveling up than they do progressing. This showed so much promise but I just can't play another repetitive battle to beat the next boss. Let alone 20 of them.
  5. Oct 25, 2012
    I played the 90 minute demo, and that was all I needed. Of course, I'm sure it's a great RPG, but in my mind, RPGs are at the bottom of the barrel. They are the highest on my list of don't plays. The 90 minutes (actually only played 45) gave me what I needed to make the decision that I wouldn't buy the game. RPG-wise, it's ok, but if you don't like those, don't buy this game. Even if youI played the 90 minute demo, and that was all I needed. Of course, I'm sure it's a great RPG, but in my mind, RPGs are at the bottom of the barrel. They are the highest on my list of don't plays. The 90 minutes (actually only played 45) gave me what I needed to make the decision that I wouldn't buy the game. RPG-wise, it's ok, but if you don't like those, don't buy this game. Even if you do like RPGs, get the demo first. Expand
  6. Oct 6, 2013
    Rainbow moon is a JRPG that missed for PS3. It has several extras and is a challenging game. In the begging it will take a bit more to level up but after 7 hours or so of play you will be ready to explore deeper and grid better.

History is a weak point, but you probably will play it because you like strategic RPGs. Music its a bit repetitive but was well done. Battle is that will

Battle is that will feed you to continue to play, even after beat the game. You will find more and more challenging battle, and gridding will not be a tiresome.

1. Oct 27, 2012
    Rainbow Moon has simple gameplay, and a charming and colorful look. Both the look and soundtrack is very retro, and seems to be a tribute to old classics. Is you're a fan of strategic RPGs, you'll find a lot to love here. I, on the other hand, found it more of a chore.
  2. Oct 1, 2012
    Rainbow Moon is a game that I couldn't help but come away from with pleasant feelings. It's not revolutionary, but it's well-executed and knows exactly what it wants to be. There is a certain type of player out there who is going to absolutely love this game, and get hours upon hours of enjoyment out of it. The only question you have to ask yourself is if you are that kind of player. If not, at least try it out for the sweet music!
  3. Sep 24, 2012
    Despite its flaws, Rainbow Moon has a lot going for it. With an amazing levelling/combat system and solid visuals and story, there are many worse games in this genre. It is also worth mentioning the value for money here. If Rainbow Moon hooks you, it's around 200 hours of game play for the 100% and all for only £9.99 (£7.99 for Playstation Plus members). However its lack of balance and time required for completion is sure to put off some players who will not find what they are looking for on this expedition.