tbd

No user score yet- Awaiting 2 more ratings

1. Oct 17, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I finally got a chance to play my Rapala Pro Bass Fishing 2010, and overall I think it is going to be a fun game.

The graphics are decent enough and what it lacks in graphics it makes up for in the game play. I got the bundle, so I am using the fishing rod controller, which adds a fun and more authentic feel to the game. The Fishing Rod controller is a wireless unit that communicates with the PS3 console via a small USB flash communicator (included)...simply plug it into a USB slot where your standard controller would plug in and the whole system is ready to go.

The Fishing Rod can then be used as your primary controller as it has all the buttons and a joystick. It does take a little bit to get used to the configuration, but it is set up in such a way that all buttons/D-pad/Joystick are easily accessible.

Naturally you use the rod to cast your lure of choice after selecting it from the tacklebox...and the "action" of the rod is quite realistic in its handling.

(I have to note, however, driving the boat with the Rod/controller takes a knack and some getting used to)

I was able to hook into a few good sized fish my first time playing, and this is where the game gets really good. You can feel the action of the rod as you are fighting the fish and reeling it in, and some of the fights take some time. I have to say that my dang arms were tired after 30 mins of game play as when you hook a large fish, it does fight and makes you work to get in near the boat to land it.

If needed, there is a "Pro coach" function you can enable to help you properly fight the fish, set the drag, etc.

The selection of lures is exceptional, containing just about every known lure from the Rapala catalog, in every finish you could think of. You unlock more lures as you progress through the game. You select the lure, the finish, and the color to match the type of fish and the weather conditions and the type of habitat you are fishing.

There are several gaming modes to choose from: Single player free fishing, Tournament and two-player.

Overall, I am quite happy with this game, and the addition of the Fishing Rod peripheral is a great added touch. However, you can also use the PS3 controller on its own or it is also compatible with the MOVE controller as well.

If you are a fan of fishing games, you will really enjoy this game!
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Dec 30, 2010
    Everybody who is looking for a real fishing game will find it with this one. The average gamer, however, will find it exhausting, repetitive and boring.
  2. If you're looking for a licensed fishing game this season, well, you don't have a lot of choices. Fortunately though, Rapala Pro Bass Fishing does a nice job of giving gamers a pretty well rounded package here.
  3. Rapala Pro Bass Fishing is quite the catch. It's everything you want in a fishing game, with a realistic control scheme to boot.