8.8

Generally favorable reviews- based on 2038 Ratings

1. Nov 10, 2010
    I took the Madame of Thieves' Landing, hogtied her to train tracks then sat back and watched in sadistic glory as the train roared on by and a little pop-up in the corner of my screen alerted me that I received the "Dastardly" trophy (I swear I felt somewhat bad). How can you not give this game at 10 out of 10.

Great soundtrack too, by the way.
  2. Nov 21, 2010
    There is no where near enough words to describe the majesty and scale of this unforgettable western adventure, so you will simply have to play it yourself. The characters and plot are well fleshed; John Marston is probably the coolest character ever made in a video game. The graphics are beautiful, the sky a wish-wash of oranges and reds at sunset and a bright electric blue at day. WhilstThere is no where near enough words to describe the majesty and scale of this unforgettable western adventure, so you will simply have to play it yourself. The characters and plot are well fleshed; John Marston is probably the coolest character ever made in a video game. The graphics are beautiful, the sky a wish-wash of oranges and reds at sunset and a bright electric blue at day. Whilst it is not of the length of the likes of GTA IV, the journey through is probably better (just). Absolutely essential to any game collection, this game is a modern gaming masterpiece. 95%. Expand
  3. Jan 6, 2011
    Awesome game. Rockstar has outdone themselves on this one. Excellent atmosphere that really give the feel of a Western world. Large variety of weapons and horses. Good gameplay mechanics and a good system for online play.....Love the posse.
  4. Jan 21, 2011
    Rockstar may be well known for their Grand Theft Auto series, but Red Dead Redemption is the game to remember the company by. The game feels much more complete, engaging, open, and fun than GTAIV. Everything you do in the single player is a ton of fun. From the tasks such as hunting and games, to saving civilians and doing other side objectives. not only that, but the multiplayer isRockstar may be well known for their Grand Theft Auto series, but Red Dead Redemption is the game to remember the company by. The game feels much more complete, engaging, open, and fun than GTAIV. Everything you do in the single player is a ton of fun. From the tasks such as hunting and games, to saving civilians and doing other side objectives. not only that, but the multiplayer is outstanding, with fantastic DLC and an awesome open world setting. I can go on for hours about why this game is awesome, but do I really need to? You absolutely must go out and buy this game! Expand
  5. USG
    Nov 21, 2010
    The story, overall, in Red Dead Redemption is excellent, at least one of the best. It's dynamic, long and still works perfectly. Truthfully the story has blown me away. The game's graphics are generally good; the sky really stands out. The gameplay works; horses prove to be second to none compared to any other game. It has great exploration value, good difficulty, and sufficient featuresThe story, overall, in Red Dead Redemption is excellent, at least one of the best. It's dynamic, long and still works perfectly. Truthfully the story has blown me away. The game's graphics are generally good; the sky really stands out. The gameplay works; horses prove to be second to none compared to any other game. It has great exploration value, good difficulty, and sufficient features and side missions. The map adds hours of extra play. Its greatness does not even require multiplayer. Redemption does provide a classic Western feel. However, a huge problem are all the glitches in-game which breaks the momentum. Expand
  6. Oct 3, 2010
    "Oh bury me not on the lone prairie. Where the coyotes wail and the wind blows free. And when I die, don't bury me beneath the western sky, on the lone prairie."

Red Dead Redemption is the missing link between players and wild west, since there is no possiblity go back in the wild west, this game is the next best thing, and oh it's good. I'm big fan of western movies and games, this game

I'm big fan of western movies and games, this game makes the impossible to possible by offerring very deep and authentic feeling wild west for players to play, visit, travel, ride and live.

"Oh bury me not on the lone prairie. This words came soft and painfully from the pallid lips of a youth who lay on his dyin' bed, at the break of day."

RDR looks pretty amazing on consoles and if there's coming PC version I think it will be also must buy.

Gameplay is almost identical to GTA IV but there is few minor differences, like swimming that isn't possible in RDR. Shooting and hunting is probably the second best part in this game, but riding on sunset with fast horse and perfect music playing on background is absolutely the best part in whole game.

At the end of one mission player had to ride to Mexico and there was perfectly fitting music track playing and sun is starting to set behind the horizon, oh my god it was amazing.

"But we buried him there, on the lone prairie where the rattle snakes hiss and the wind blows free. In a shallow grave, no one to grieve beneath the western sky, on the lone prairie."

Red Dead Redemption is true masterpiece and well executed piece of art. It's the only game that I have bough dlc packs and will keep buying. For everyone who is interested in wild west or western movies this is a must buy.

"Oh bury me not on the lone prairie. These words came soft and painfully from the pallid lips of a youth who lay on his dyin' bed, at the break of day. On his dyin' bed, at the break of day."
  7. Nov 11, 2010
    Having played all the GTA series I was anxious to get this game. It is a truly absorbing and atmospheric game , expansive and enthralling. However one can't help feeling that because GTA exists it never fully feels 'new' and because of that the impact is lost a little. If you have never really played GTA go for this straight off, you wont be dissappointed. Even if you have GTA I wouldHaving played all the GTA series I was anxious to get this game. It is a truly absorbing and atmospheric game , expansive and enthralling. However one can't help feeling that because GTA exists it never fully feels 'new' and because of that the impact is lost a little. If you have never really played GTA go for this straight off, you wont be dissappointed. Even if you have GTA I would recommend. Its a superb game. The game is worth playing just for the wow factor of looking at the views and listening to the wildlife. Id put it close to GTA but not quite a GTA 4 beater. Expand
  8. Dec 19, 2010
    very good game but not as good as GTA IV, the production values didn't seem as impressive in this game and the story was uninteresting for me until the awesome finale but anyway this game is a little of an improvement gameplay wise over GTA IV and it had more activities to do, i hated playing some of the mini games but the ability to hunt animals and pick up flowers as well as tamingvery good game but not as good as GTA IV, the production values didn't seem as impressive in this game and the story was uninteresting for me until the awesome finale but anyway this game is a little of an improvement gameplay wise over GTA IV and it had more activities to do, i hated playing some of the mini games but the ability to hunt animals and pick up flowers as well as taming horses was really awesome, it feels like there's so much to do even when most of it is tedious, but at the end I really enjoyed the game including the great multiplayer, not as fair and diverse of an experience as GTA IV but it was fun nonetheless. Expand
  9. Dec 31, 2010
    Out of Rockstar Games, it was actually the best I saw, but I still believe this game does not deserve to be in Game of the Year because although the game had amazing gameplay and storyline, the battle system was a little too unoriginal just because it shows the Old West. If I look closely, I still believe that Final Fantasy 13 shows better graphics, storyline, and even gameplay becauseOut of Rockstar Games, it was actually the best I saw, but I still believe this game does not deserve to be in Game of the Year because although the game had amazing gameplay and storyline, the battle system was a little too unoriginal just because it shows the Old West. If I look closely, I still believe that Final Fantasy 13 shows better graphics, storyline, and even gameplay because that game was the first to indtroduce a new concept which I understand was not perfect. Expand
  10. Nov 17, 2010
    This game is gran-theft auto in the desert using western guns and horses. Its awesome. Probably one of the most creativite ways to use an open world system in years. The graphics are good, gameplay is non-manatonous, random events occur, and you can kill any animal you see anywhere. Pretty unique game here. Buy it if you like western movies, are a gta fan, or enjoy open ended games. RentThis game is gran-theft auto in the desert using western guns and horses. Its awesome. Probably one of the most creativite ways to use an open world system in years. The graphics are good, gameplay is non-manatonous, random events occur, and you can kill any animal you see anywhere. Pretty unique game here. Buy it if you like western movies, are a gta fan, or enjoy open ended games. Rent it if not, because everyone should try this game. Expand
  11. Oct 18, 2010
    This is not just GTA with horses. Red Dead Redemption isn't a good game, its a great game. Definitely feels like something worthy of game of the year, and is definitely Rockstar's best title ever. An open world western setting with tons of innovation and new ideas with great voice acting to go with great story telling. Graphically wise everything looks very good also and with tons of extraThis is not just GTA with horses. Red Dead Redemption isn't a good game, its a great game. Definitely feels like something worthy of game of the year, and is definitely Rockstar's best title ever. An open world western setting with tons of innovation and new ideas with great voice acting to go with great story telling. Graphically wise everything looks very good also and with tons of extra side content in the game this is one that could hold you over for a while. Expand
  12. Apr 25, 2011
    Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red DeadRed Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Expand
  13. Oct 13, 2010
    Red Dead Redemption is legendary!!!
    Red Dead Redemption is legendary!!!
    The truth is i was never really into the whole west thing and was extremely skeptical about RDR because of rockstars previous games ,mainly GTA. GTA got on my nerves because it always felt like the same thing, the only difference was location and story. But now rockstar has exploded my faith in them with one of the most beautiful,most innovative and the biggest games i have ever played!!I now love the west and all the cowboy stuff!!!This is one of those games that you will remember for the rest of your life!!YOU ROCKSTAR!!!LOL
  14. Dec 27, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The single player campaign was too short for my liking, but the missions in it were well designed and beautiful to play. That being said, I've spent hours just riding around the world, attacking stagecoaches and lassoing horses and it hasn't gotten old yet. The Legend of the West sidemissions are a little tedious, and you can't complete them until the game is essentially over, which makes the outfit you receive too little, too late. In fact, some of the coolest outfits (e.g., FBI uniform granting you amnesty from the law) can only be used after the game has been beaten. I imagine this is to keep the gameplay fair insofar that you must really beat each mission to progress.

The online multiplayer is enjoyable as long as you've got a couple of friends to play with; it seems as though every random person I've met is an insufferable 10 year old who wants nothing more than to tea-bag your corpse. Co-op missions are varied, attacking gang hideouts is a blast.

If you get the game, sign up for the Rockstar Social Club! You'll get additional challenges, cheat codes and outfits at no extra cost to you, extending the gameplay for at least a few hours. The DLC is great, too - who doesn't enjoy tomahawking a townsperson or sniping with an explosive rifle?

Easily my favorite game for the PS3.
  15. Jan 2, 2011
    Aim, fire, reload, repeat. Aim, fire, reload, repeat. These are the first three things you should know before entering this dangerous yet immersive world of the wild, wild west. When it is heard that Rockstar San Diego is cooking something up in their kitchen, you can be sure it'll fall short of nothing spectacular, and Red Dead Redemption, is absolutely no exception to this, rule if youAim, fire, reload, repeat. Aim, fire, reload, repeat. These are the first three things you should know before entering this dangerous yet immersive world of the wild, wild west. When it is heard that Rockstar San Diego is cooking something up in their kitchen, you can be sure it'll fall short of nothing spectacular, and Red Dead Redemption, is absolutely no exception to this, rule if you will.

Once you embrace the opening cutscene, you will step into the jacked up shoes of John Marston, the main character. He is, if not apparent already, a cowboy, one who is seeking revenge. He was once part of a murderous gang. However, to Marston's surprise, he is back stabbed and left for dead in the desert of America. He is rescued by a rancher who goes by the name Bonnie and in return for her nursing of the man, John Marston repays her by doing odd jobs for her. Still, revenge is only one tree in his enormous forest, as the feds take his family away because of his sins. He is forced to complete tasks for the feds so he can take his family back home and start a new life. But at the same time he must achieve his revenge as he moves on to New Austin and eventually Mexico in which area outstandingly large. John Marston makes new enemies and friends along the way, all of which are memorable and lovable. Player be warned, this game is extremely (I use that word strongly), extremely vast and deep. Starting off with the core story of the game, the amount of words that can be used to describe it is itself incredible. The game has a way to keep you hooked from it's very beginning all the way through its +20 hour storyline. John Marston is a deep, deep character and it is clear he is going through a rough time. As you continue the story, you quickly realize that he is willing to do anything for anybody just to get his revenge and to regain his family back. This may seem silly at first, but you then realize how much he cares for his family. The story is perfectly paced and the missions never get tiresome or boring, as you can ride your incredibly detailed horse around the dynamic vistas of the wild west. You don't get to get closer to your family until near the end of the game, which also is a very moving and strong part of the story. This brings me to the locales and the side missions. The locales are in their own way distinct, diverse, and deep and that adds so much to the story. The characters you meet along the way are some of the best ever in a video game. The chemistry between them and John Marston is engaging in a sense that you'll actually feel like you're in the wild west. The side missions themselves are also some of the best mainly because they actually contribute to the main storyline. They are so good that some of them should go as far as to winning an award for best side mission. However, the gameplay is strong with the dead-eye system as well as deep and solid, but it can get a bit wonky and easy.

This brings me to the world. Huge, vast, colossal are only few of the words to describe this open heaven. Collect herbs, hunt wolves, shoot birds, skin boars are only some of the few things you can do in this open world. You can go treasure hunting to unlock new outfits or complete challenges to become legend of the west and fill your fame meter, which impacts the way people talk to you. This also brings up the karma system. You can choose to be a goody two-shoes cowboy, or one hell of a bad ass. Either way, this affects the missions that you do. Speaking of doing, despite a few bugs, the best part of the game is the fact that you can ride through the beautiful sunsets of the game while admiring the musculature of the horses and the heavy attention to detail to everything around you especially the characters and towns. Everything is incredibly gorgeous and stunning. The atmosphere created is easily the best of this generation; this feels like the wild west.

The voice acting is phenomenal in the game. There isn't a single character with a bad voice actor in the game, and I don't know how, but I recognized the people without seeing them, with only hearing their voice. The game sucks you in even more with the tremendous job of voice acting. The soundtrack is just as good, if not better. It fits so seemlessly into the backround when you explore what the game has to offer and it is of such high quality.

Lastly, the multiplayer is every bit as good as the single player. Create a possy and roam in free play, kill each other to level up and earn new weapons, horses, and characters in team deathmatch, capture the gold, or for the enthusiasts, play it all on hardcore mode. The multiplayer is insanely deep with its leveling system, and it goes on par with even Call of Duty.

Get this game. Calling it a bang fo your buck would be an understatement. Incredible game. Just incredible.

Presentation-10/10
    Story-10/10
    Sound-10/10
    Graphics-9.5/10
    Gameplay-9.5/10
    Lasting Appeal-10/10

Overall-9.9/10
  16. Jan 18, 2013
    If you hate this game you're not a gamer, simple as that. No, I'm not a Rockstar fanboy but it's really so goddamn obvious that Red Dead Redemption is the best game this gen, by far and that is a fact.
  17. Apr 9, 2012
    This is a fantastic game by Rockstar.
    The wild west has never been properly portrayed in another game, and RDR does a great job at doing so.
    One of the best games this generation.
  18. Dec 20, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For anyone out there that thinks this is just GTA with a western background, we'll maybe your'e partially right but don't let that deter you from enjoying the best game of 2010. We'll start with the graphics...
    The character models are finely detailed, down to the scars on Marston's face and when compared to Niko Bellics character in GTA 4 you can clearly see that Rockstar is continuing to push the power of these consoles. The landscapes are very detailed in some areas while other areas could use some more texturing and you'll still see some pop up as you did in previous Rockstar titles but due to the sheer scope of the game these are subtle complaints that never take you away from overall experience. There where times that I would ride my horse to the edge of a cliff just to look at the enviroment below, it's simply breathtaking knowing that you have the ability to go to any of these areas. Rockstar has done another amazing job crafting a world unlike any of their previous efforts. The land itself is a character full of animals to kill and skin as well as flowers and weeds to pick which of course you can turn around and sell to the local general stores. I followed and watched an NPC look around until he realized there was no one there before he could relieve himself, I also watched a husband take his own life after crying over his dead wife. It's all about the subtle touches that Rockstar uses to bring the world to life.
    The sound is well done throughout the game, whether it's the voice acting, the sound of your horses gallop or the sound of a cougar as it sneaks up behind you Rockstar has done another exceptional job. During one of the final missions, Marston is riding back to his family, there is a song that plays called "Far Away" written by Jose Gonzalez specifically for Red Dead Redemption. The scene itself will leave you in awe, it feels unlike anything i've ever felt playing a videogame. Rockstar went above and beyond and it is immediately noticeable.
    Controlling Marston is immediately accessible to anyone who has played GTA4. The controls are fairly easy to pick up and after a few missions you'll be lassoing horses and using Dead eye with ease. Dead Eye itself gets better throughout the game starting with the ability to slow time...Later on in the game Dead Eye evolves allowing Marston to not just slow down time but also target specific body parts during Showdowns. During gameplay the user will have the ability to use Dead Eye but is never subjected to having to use it. While, the user has no choice when it comes to Showdowns, I actually chose to play most of the game without it bumping up the difficulty. Riding horses is very accessible and never really caused frustration. You might complain that the horses are not fast enough at times due to the size of the world, but let's face it these are not cars. If you have played GTA in the past then you already know what to expect when it comes to a lot of the missions. The story missions are good with some decent voice acting as well as some memorable characters but when it comes to the side missions, this is where the game can get bogged down in repetition. There is some variety in these missions but not enough to keep you coming back to them. Rockstar did a good job of giving the user incentive to do these missions as the user is going to be given either Honor or Dishonor when completing or not completing them. The Honor/Dishonor system actually has some benefit to it, the more honorable Marston is the more praise he will get when going to different towns, Marston will also have access to specific items that are normally unaccessible without gaining the honor. While on the other hand if Marston is dishonorable he gets access to a separate branch of items and praise. Most of these side missions consist of getting back a stolen horse, to helping someone save his hanged wife etc. Marston can also find other things to do around the world such as skinning animals for profit. Skinning animals can be very addictive (at lease for me it was), and there's nothing like taking out 3 bears at once with Dead Eye. Certain animals are worth more in certain parts of the map adding some depth and reasoning to go back to specific stores to sell the skins. The only negative aspect that I found about the wild animals are that they can be pretty linear in how they react and what they are doing when seen. I would have loved to see some deer drinking out of the rivers or birds catching snakes, anything to make the world feel more alive. There are so many things to like about this game and there are so many things to dislike. I myself was blown away by the overall presentation of the title and can easily say that this is better than any of the previous GTA games...Being the first game in the franchise (not counting Red Dead Revolver) has me looking forward to bigger things...fishing anyone?
  19. Mar 27, 2015
    I think anything lower than a 9 is a troll review. The game is expansive, memorable, great gameplay, classic Rockstar GTA but in the Wild West. It is one of the 10 best games of last gen, and it was never ported to the PC. We all eagerly await Red Dead 2 and it would blow the doors off this gen!
  20. Aug 9, 2013
    Better late than never.

Better late than never.

RDR is a fine game plagued by some annoying design decisions: the controls are absolutely dreadful, and the fast travel save system is cumbersome and annoying. The story, however, is entertaining, most of the time, if you don't take it seriously. Some of the characters, while cliché, are humorous and endearing, which helps pass the time when traveling on horseback from mission to mission. The latter part of the story was one of the most amazing gaming experiences I have ever had.

Where the game really shines, however, is in the atmosphere. The graphics, sound, animations and features such as cattle-herding, horse-breaking, skinning and hunting, etc., really get you immersed in the game world. It's a shame they are not really meaningful to the development of your character, or I'd have given this game a 10.
  21. Nov 13, 2012
    This is one of the few true masterpieces this gen. Single player was way more than just a GTA clone converted into a western. Even the multiplayer wasn't all that bad. I'm doing this review as the game was a few months post-release. The story was actually moving to the point that I was enraged about what occurs at some points in the game. That is a going thing though. If the narrativeThis is one of the few true masterpieces this gen. Single player was way more than just a GTA clone converted into a western. Even the multiplayer wasn't all that bad. I'm doing this review as the game was a few months post-release. The story was actually moving to the point that I was enraged about what occurs at some points in the game. That is a going thing though. If the narrative doesn't provoke any emotion then its crap...like Borderlands 1. I think this is a must have for anyone with a PS3, especially now that its super cheap. Expand
  22. Mar 16, 2013
    This fantastic game with deep storyline played more with my emotions that any other game I remember. It's masterpiece with great graphics, very good control mechanics and absolutely brilliant game-play and story. It's not just GTA in Wild West. It's living world you will be sucked into.
  23. Jan 6, 2013
    This is one of the best games I have ever played. There are a few visual hiccups here and there, but that, for me, was easy to overlook when the gameplay is so solid, the landscape is so beautiful, and the story is that good. I'm not much of an "online multiplayer" guy, but even that was pretty fun. Seriously, play this game!
  24. May 3, 2013
    If I had to describe Red Dead Redemption in one word, it would be Masterpiece. I'll keep this short, my favourite game with amazing story, graphics, gameplay, side missions, hell everything!
  25. Mar 12, 2013
    If you want open world game with great western adventures, cool multiplayer, great graphics and .e.t.c. Then you should get this amazing game without no doubt!
  26. May 9, 2013
    This is the best game that i have ever played! Period! Red Dead Redemption nails absolutely everything! Everything about this game is absolutely epic: from the amazing story, the awesome characters, the spectacular graphics and atmosphere, all the way to an outstanding multiplayer and co-op modes! Red Dead Redemption will most likely continue to be the best game i've ever played all theThis is the best game that i have ever played! Period! Red Dead Redemption nails absolutely everything! Everything about this game is absolutely epic: from the amazing story, the awesome characters, the spectacular graphics and atmosphere, all the way to an outstanding multiplayer and co-op modes! Red Dead Redemption will most likely continue to be the best game i've ever played all the way up until the next Red Dead game! Expand
  27. Apr 1, 2013
    THE GOOD STUFF:
    - Rich, engaging script and narrative that makes you want to keep playing until the end.
    - Well-written and believable characters. - Stunning graphics, which leads to gorgeous vistas and landscapes. - Fun and rewarding gameplay, both offline and on. - You actually feel like a cowboy. LESS OF THESE PLEASE - Nothing of note. Seriously. If you haven't played this,
    THE GOOD STUFF:
    - Well-written and believable characters.
    - Stunning graphics, which leads to gorgeous vistas and landscapes.
    - Fun and rewarding gameplay, both offline and on.
    - You actually feel like a cowboy.

LESS OF THESE PLEASE
    - Nothing of note. Seriously. If you haven't played this, then what the hell are you doing reading this. Go out and buy this game immediately.
  28. Apr 7, 2013
    Red Dead Redemption is number 3 on my favorite games of all times list. This game is utterly perfect I cannot think of anything I could possibly change to improve this game. The story is the most interesting and enthralling I have yet to play in a game every character John Martston (who has become my favorite video game character of all time) are interesting and or hilarious. The gun playRed Dead Redemption is number 3 on my favorite games of all times list. This game is utterly perfect I cannot think of anything I could possibly change to improve this game. The story is the most interesting and enthralling I have yet to play in a game every character John Martston (who has become my favorite video game character of all time) are interesting and or hilarious. The gun play is unbelievably fun and bad-ass. The horse riding is perfect I know its a little rough but that's exactly how riding a horse is. The side quests are varied and interesting. The costume quests are addicting and rewarding since every costume is awesome. The graphics are jaw dropping. The voice acting is perfect. The weapons are varied. Multiplayer is awesome. The ending is possibly the greatest in video game history. There is at least 30 hours of game play in this game so it is worth the price.I cannot recommend this game enough it is a milestone and and must be played. Expand
  29. Apr 16, 2013
    I first bought Red Dead Redemption not longer after it was originally released. I played the first chapter, which sets up John Marston's character, but then I forgot to keep playing it and only got going again about 6 months later. What a mistake I made! Once I got playing again, I fell in love with everything about this game, the story, the setting, the music, gameplay, the lot....itI first bought Red Dead Redemption not longer after it was originally released. I played the first chapter, which sets up John Marston's character, but then I forgot to keep playing it and only got going again about 6 months later. What a mistake I made! Once I got playing again, I fell in love with everything about this game, the story, the setting, the music, gameplay, the lot....it pulls you in and you don't want to let go of the controller. RDR is an open world RPG/action game, following the story of a betrayed outlaw, John Marston. He sets off in search of those who screwed him over, as well as trying to find the whereabouts of his wife and son. All this taking place against the backdrop of the mystical American Frontier. If you follow only the main storyline, you would be looking at a good 20-30 hours of gameplay, and easily double that if you want to finish all the other side missions of the single player campaign...even then I think I had only achieved 50% of all the available trophies. The graphics are superb and really capture the magic of the American west and Mexican frontier, something which I am always fond of in movies. The music too really helps capture the atmosphere and the Jose Gonzalez song in particular, which plays at a specific point in the game, tops it off. When I finished the single player campaign in full, I really felt saddened by having that part of it end. Another reviewer mentioned this as being better than GTA 4 I agree, without doubt. So, while it does chew up so big gameplay hours, this is a must play console game. Expand
  30. Apr 23, 2013
    This is the best game I have ever played. It is much better than GTA IV. The story line is great, characters are awesome and the missions are really cool. This game also has amazing graphics.
  31. Apr 25, 2013
    Red Dead Redemption is the best game I ever played so far because of its amzing story, gameplay, character, voice acting, side mission, minigames like poker and that sort of things and its world which is a varied world full of beautifull scenarios and to make even better a kickass multiplayer full of competitive modes and a free roam multiplayer which serves for your "lobby" where you canRed Dead Redemption is the best game I ever played so far because of its amzing story, gameplay, character, voice acting, side mission, minigames like poker and that sort of things and its world which is a varied world full of beautifull scenarios and to make even better a kickass multiplayer full of competitive modes and a free roam multiplayer which serves for your "lobby" where you can team up with friends kill everybody while you try to join or create a game. This game just blows my mind in every single way.
    I suggest you buy right now and start the shooting cowboys because this the game of the year.
  32. Mar 25, 2013
    One of the best environments I've ever seen in a video game. It makes you feel like you're in the wild west. Rockstar always has really great voice acting and storytelling. This game may be their best.
  33. May 2, 2011
    This game captures you from the start. Gameplay mechanics much the same as GTA, so no amazing fun their. The immersion of this game is priceless....from the main story to side stories to hunting Legendary Animals. The greatest Wild West game to date. They need to start on a sequel as soon as L.A. Noire hits the shelves.
  34. Jul 3, 2013
    The best game I have ever played on PS3. It is like Grand Theft Auto but set in the Midwest with a much better story line. I actually found myself immersed in my character. The best part is this game is entertaining for months. Its not like Uncharted (after you beat it in two-three days your done. This game I actually can play again and again.
  35. Jul 18, 2013
    There have been tried and failed attempts to modernise the Western setting for video games, Hollywood had quite the hype with its over abundance of Spaghetti Westerns, yet they never truly left their mark on the gaming world. But when Rockstar announced that they would be creating a "spiritual sequel" to Red Dead Revolver, the air became ripe with anticipation at the thought of theThere have been tried and failed attempts to modernise the Western setting for video games, Hollywood had quite the hype with its over abundance of Spaghetti Westerns, yet they never truly left their mark on the gaming world. But when Rockstar announced that they would be creating a "spiritual sequel" to Red Dead Revolver, the air became ripe with anticipation at the thought of the developers of the hugely popular Grand Theft Auto series. Many began to assume that the game would be "Grand Theft Horses" yet while many of the gameplay elements of GTA come across to this Western genre, the statement couldn't be further from the truth.
    In true Western style, Red Dead Redemption captures all the glory, guts and gallantry that we have come to know from countless films and pop culture. Combining a fascinating yet heartbreaking story centred around the outlaw turned neutral cowboy John Marston, a man who wants to right his past wrongs and settle down with his family...easier said than done.
    As we are introduced to our protagonist, we also get a glimpse of the massive, sprawling and beautiful frontier we will soon get to explore at will. Every mechanic is polished to the point of near-perfection, whether you want to go out capture bounties or simply kill them, you can target various body parts or even shoot their hats off, the attention to detail is really quite mesmerising, from the vibrant wildlife to the inhabitants of the various towns, watching drunken men stagger home or watching women being chased and choosing whether to intervene or not. Much of this decision making takes place throughout the game, you could be the most villainous man to walk the prairie or be a legend and hero in the west, whatever you please and however you see fit.
    With this comes the very realistic gameplay approach that Rockstar have become accustomed to, horses move and gallop in a very realistic motion, they have stamina like the rest of us, the gunfights and shooting mechanics have come a long away since GTA IV, combining fluid and fast-paced style with enjoyable and simplistic ease. This works brilliantly with expansive world that Rockstar have created, with vast expanses of detailed deserts or snowy mountaintops filled with all sorts of wildlife that can be killed and skinned for money, or which contribute to contribute to upgrading the wardrobe of Marston. The open world and freedom comes into play in force as you can play a shoot em' up style by killing everything in site, or save damsels and men being chased by wild dogs, why not help the local sheriff clear out s gang hideout or be in it for yourself and max out your character until you see fit.
    In terms of the story, it can feel a little forced and sometimes lacking in surprise, with many objectives consisting of learning the ropes if surviving the Wild West, sometime when a mission seems over, it keeps going, and many of the decisions John Marston makes can directly oppose the personality they he has been moulded in. But this does indeed take a drastic turn in the closing moments of the story, a triumph amongst video game endings that sits among the best finales ever seen.
    The game delivers a homage and callback to pretty much everything we have come to know about the Old West, the taverns, the horseback, the beautiful horizon, the duels in the muddy street with a brave onlooker, and the beauty of the place may just sit with you, in awe and amazement and general satisfaction for another success for Rockstar.
    Whether you are veteran in the GTA universe or a fan of the Westerns of yesteryear, Red Dead Redemption brings everything to the table, giving the player ultimate freedom and endless capabilities to roam the massive frontier, it's safe to say that this could well be a masterpiece, and from a personal level a true triumph in gaming and quite possibly among the greatest.
  36. Apr 5, 2014
    Story: 9.5 out of 10 Graphics: 9.5 out of 10 Gameplay: 9 out of 10 Fun: 9 out of 10 Controls: 9.5 out of 10
    Multiplayer: 8.5
    Ease to Learn: 9.5 out of 10
    Length: 9 out of 10
    Re-play: 8.5 out of 10
    Audio: 10 out of 10
    Bugs/Glitches: none
  37. Feb 3, 2013
    One of the best games off all time. Awesome history graphics gameplay and the zombie DLC on the Old West revilocionate the gaming industry! the multiplayer is a bit fuzzy but its still very good
  38. Aug 1, 2012
    THE... GREATEST... GAME.... EFFIN EVER!!! If you didn't like this game you have zero concept of character development, plot, climax and a perfect ending to a perfect game. Go play Call of Duty if you don't enjoy this game where you just mindlessly run around and shoot people. I highly doubt a better game will ever be made. A masterpiece within gaming. Absolute perfection. Actually, I thinkTHE... GREATEST... GAME.... EFFIN EVER!!! If you didn't like this game you have zero concept of character development, plot, climax and a perfect ending to a perfect game. Go play Call of Duty if you don't enjoy this game where you just mindlessly run around and shoot people. I highly doubt a better game will ever be made. A masterpiece within gaming. Absolute perfection. Actually, I think I hate you if you don't like this game. Expand
  39. Nov 14, 2012
    Must play. Must own. Must experience gem. Beautiful world and great music to reflect the atmosphere that is the wild west. Memorable protagonist and great campaign mode. GREAT game. Sega was my first game system and o how far we've come. RDR is a real treat. Bought the game for 20 bucks and worth every money and then some.
  40. Jul 21, 2012
    An amazing setting, Red Dead Redemption is one of the best games that I have played. Fantastic graphics, awesome gameplay and realistic sound effects. This game has everything and with over 30 hours of game time, this is a game which is well worth your money. Thought towards the end, riding on a horse was becoming slightly tiresome but that was only because of the huge sandbox map.
  41. Jun 19, 2013
    One of the best games ever made for the PS3. Beautiful, fun, characters are great, open world, great story. So much better than GTA IV (thought GTA IV characters and stories were lacking). But in short, this is a must have for any person that owns a PS3.
  42. Jul 28, 2012
    To keep it short, it is 2012 and I still imagine myself playing this game, the story is engaging, the people feel alive, the maim character is someone I for once cared about, and the gameplay never gets old. A game about vengeance, family and redemption is perfectly displayed through both comical yet serious dialogue keeps the game alive. Main story aside, side quests, or random eventsTo keep it short, it is 2012 and I still imagine myself playing this game, the story is engaging, the people feel alive, the maim character is someone I for once cared about, and the gameplay never gets old. A game about vengeance, family and redemption is perfectly displayed through both comical yet serious dialogue keeps the game alive. Main story aside, side quests, or random events such as a man chased by wolves in need of your help continue to spring up continuously as the realism of this game mixed into mind where I believed I was a cowboy saving a women from bandits while hunting in the huge open world for bears while herding cows. Everything honestly recieves a 10. Expand
  43. Aug 9, 2012
    Most reviews of this game fail to mention that the multiplayer offering is the most varied set of gametypes on the market and with such a large community, you never have to wait for a game even in the less popular modes. at my last count there were around 30 different ways to play the online mode and they are definitely not just minor variations. the variety could not be overstated.Most reviews of this game fail to mention that the multiplayer offering is the most varied set of gametypes on the market and with such a large community, you never have to wait for a game even in the less popular modes. at my last count there were around 30 different ways to play the online mode and they are definitely not just minor variations. the variety could not be overstated. there are your basic assortment of one-sided (two round) and two-sided (one round) team games plus the obligatory free-for-all, but of these classics which amount to about 7 playlists, there are wildly divergent modes, starting with the 16 player free-roam, where the entire map is available and filled with enemies, marshals, animals, civilians, and other players with whom you can form officially recognized alliances or hostilities. It's also worth mentioning that there is a distinct difference between the structured gametypes where every player starts with the same weaponry and has access to the same weapons placed on the map, and the free-roam where every player levels up their character unlocking and equiping things along the way, leading to the excitement of "earning your spurs" so to speak. there are online gambling lobies, (Excellent) racing lobies, and a great co-op mode with multiple difficulties where up to four players advance through a story-driven mission with a narrator and are able to revive one another in order to keep the action going (once the mission is completed or everyone is dead the mission is over). The game of the year edition contains all the DLC which mostly effects the online adding things like king of the hill to free-roam, but most notably the Zombies expansion, including an online co-op zombie hoard mode to kill for. And since i didn't mention it anywhere else. the games single player would still be stand alone game of the year by itself. Expand
  44. Dec 12, 2012
    After playing through the main storyline as well as taking my precious time between side missions and challenges, I can gladly say that this game is the best "Grand Theft Auto"-esque game produced by Rockstar. Environments are unique, interesting and consistently enjoyable to play around in, characters that you come across and encounter are well-rounded and interesting in their own way,After playing through the main storyline as well as taking my precious time between side missions and challenges, I can gladly say that this game is the best "Grand Theft Auto"-esque game produced by Rockstar. Environments are unique, interesting and consistently enjoyable to play around in, characters that you come across and encounter are well-rounded and interesting in their own way, and the whole traditional feel of a western game really does shine through this fine example of one. You can hunt for animals that are sprinkled all across the three areas that you can traverse through, there will be countless amounts of dynamic encounters like saving a treasure hunter from pilfering bandits or engaging in a good old-fashioned duel to test the agility and grit of our lone ranging. The Dead Eye Meter as well as regenerative health, while making the game seem like an easy ride the way through, actually distribute a lot of the difficulties from other Grand Theft Auto-inspired games and allow the player to play the game challenged but not completely overwhelmed. There are also tons of other minigames as well, such as arm wrestling, poker, horseshoes, and even little propaganda movies. The lore and the history shown through this game is also captivating as well, and you can feel quite nostalgic from reading old-timey newspapers that are unapologetically misogynistic and retro in their own feel. I was worried that the diversity of the weapons in this game would be few and far in between, but in actuality, there is an arsenal of weapons to find, choose from, and use in the game, if several guns are categorized in the same field, such as sniper rifles, repeaters, shotguns, miscellary, and pistols. the only few gripes I have with this game is that Horse controls can be a little shoddy, and I still haven't quite found a way to stop a horse from moving at all (unless I kill it), and the fact that the main storyline kind of ended on a disappointing note. It wasn't as dramatic as I hoped it would be. Still, this game will definitely be worth your money if you want to engage yourself in a top-notch competitor for other western-themed games to come. Expand
  45. Jun 1, 2013
    I have never played a better western game. How they got all the elements right is beyond me. The horse riding, gunplay, environment and game mechanics deliver a truly western gaming legend. Absolute proof that Rockstar has what it takes to make the next GTA and RDR as good as we want it to be and much more.
  46. Oct 7, 2012
    Everything is just right: look, content, dialogue, music, humor, action - everywhere is only very, very little room for improvement. With every step on the dusty ground it seems as if Eastwood or Bronson felt his side. Never before has the flair of hard spaghetti western was so perfect in a game over
  47. Oct 30, 2012
    This is actually the first Rockstar game that i have even finished ! And i have finished it at 100%... twice ! If you ever dream to be a cowboy, this game will let you do everything a cowboy can do ! You can play poker, start a fight in a bar, catch someone with a lasso and drag him with your horse and much more. The story is great, the ending epic and there is a lot of things to do !This is actually the first Rockstar game that i have even finished ! And i have finished it at 100%... twice ! If you ever dream to be a cowboy, this game will let you do everything a cowboy can do ! You can play poker, start a fight in a bar, catch someone with a lasso and drag him with your horse and much more. The story is great, the ending epic and there is a lot of things to do ! Really a great game ! Expand
  48. Nov 5, 2012
    Easily the best Rockstar game of all time. It is beautiful and well written. On top of that, it is time consuming! Sure, the campaign is about 12 hours, but there is so much more! I've owned this game since launched and have easily put in three full days in it, and counting. The only flaws I have with it is that a lot of the doors in town are unopenable, the police are one step away fromEasily the best Rockstar game of all time. It is beautiful and well written. On top of that, it is time consuming! Sure, the campaign is about 12 hours, but there is so much more! I've owned this game since launched and have easily put in three full days in it, and counting. The only flaws I have with it is that a lot of the doors in town are unopenable, the police are one step away from retarded, and the second protagonist in the game is annoying, and you can not switch back. It isn't a ten, but I can't go lower than a nine. If this was a 100 point scale I'd give it a 9.6. This is a mustbuy. You are doing yourself a dishonor if you do not try it out. Expand
  49. Nov 5, 2012
    With Batman AC and Uncharted 2, this game is in my top 3 of this generation. The map is very big, the history is very good, fun multiplayer, great climate, good gameplay. The graphics is not good as XBox 360 version, but i think its not a problem to have days of fun with this masterpiece.
  50. Oct 29, 2013
    Red Dead Redemption is a five star game. Unique and one of a kind. From main story missions to side missions and all. Everything about this game will keep you hooked until the end.
  51. Nov 15, 2012
    Ok, i was a Western movie lover i always used to watch Western movies and i loved Red Dead Revolver i have always loved Rockstar Games and Then.... Red Dead Redemption i pre-ordered the game because i liked the trailers and Gameplays so bad! and the game got me in love with it 89 hours of gameplay i loved it it's the best PS3,360 game i think i just have to say this...MASTERPIECE
  52. Nov 29, 2012
    The ending of this game was so epic, i almost cried (seriously), i finished it more or less at 00:00 and i couldn't sleep thinking on John Marston. This game is what i call masterpiece. the environment, the interactivity, the hunting and every aspect on this game were epic. I didn't expected less from RockStar since they gave us GTA that game that every played one played for his cheats andThe ending of this game was so epic, i almost cried (seriously), i finished it more or less at 00:00 and i couldn't sleep thinking on John Marston. This game is what i call masterpiece. the environment, the interactivity, the hunting and every aspect on this game were epic. I didn't expected less from RockStar since they gave us GTA that game that every played one played for his cheats and a lot of hours of fun. The story of this game was excellent, one of the best i have ever saw in video games. One of the best games on ps3 and a perfect multiplayer. Just "EPIC" and congratulations RockStar! Expand
  53. Mar 25, 2015
    The way that Rockstar presented the Red Dead Redemption story is rather, well, utterly meh, especially the pacing, completely disconnecting any sort of connection with the family that the game emphasisis so much upon. But that still doesn't take away from the fact of just how incredible the immersion and gameplay is. Especially the atmosphere. There is literally here, no better immersionThe way that Rockstar presented the Red Dead Redemption story is rather, well, utterly meh, especially the pacing, completely disconnecting any sort of connection with the family that the game emphasisis so much upon. But that still doesn't take away from the fact of just how incredible the immersion and gameplay is. Especially the atmosphere. There is literally here, no better immersion nor graphics in any other single game ever created. I am serious here. There is a beauty here unlike anything else in any game, and I just can't deny how just amazed I am of this. And despite the pacing and all being odd with the story, the acting is utterly superb and the presentation in terms of visuals is beyond anything I've ever seen. Expand
  54. Dec 24, 2012
    Red Dead Redemption is one of the best western based games of all time. The scenery is stunning and the story sucks you right in straight away. It has a gta feel but it feels more unique. Most of the time I get sidetracked by playing poker or blackjack and forget that I'm a cowboy. The joy you will get from this game is high and it is one of the best games I have ever played. I give it 9/10
  55. Jan 22, 2013
    First of all Rockstar finally made a better game than Grand Theft Auto since i was addicted GTA. But this really standed out in the Hall of Fame. The best Rockstar game since Grand Theft Auto IV.
  56. Mar 19, 2014
    Played this game right after it came out. A little buggy, but still makes anything Naughty Dog or Irrational Games made look like amateur hour, The Last of Us included.
  57. Dec 28, 2012
    Much, much better than GTA 4. Before anybody bashes me with this phrase, hear me out - it is simply a better game, it has that class and charm that I feel was lost after the GTA games on PS2. The graphics are very clean, the landscapes are fantastic (particularly at sunrise/sunset), a part of you feels like you're back in a classic Spaghetti Western when you play this, it's very authenticMuch, much better than GTA 4. Before anybody bashes me with this phrase, hear me out - it is simply a better game, it has that class and charm that I feel was lost after the GTA games on PS2. The graphics are very clean, the landscapes are fantastic (particularly at sunrise/sunset), a part of you feels like you're back in a classic Spaghetti Western when you play this, it's very authentic looking. The controls don't have a steep learning curve, the music is well done, even though I think this was the game's main weakness (I would have brought in Ennio Morricone for it), the characters are full of life (and if you have friends similar to Irish, it makes it all the more amusing), the side missions are mixed in difficulty and can happen anytime you're out on your horse or for a walk. Pure and simply, if you're interested in American History, Movies about the wild west, Graphic Novels about the wild west, dressing up like a Cowboy to a rodeo show, playing the hero or the antagonist, travelling around the south western USA and mexico, and have a 360 or PS3 available - this is a game that deserves a good look! Expand
  58. Dec 30, 2012
    Very nice game! Like a GTA western :) Open world, nic graphics, epic missions, great story and more... If you have Playstation 3 you must buy this great game!
  59. Jan 3, 2013
    LOL, I can not believe that anyone would give this game a bad review.. Its about near perfect unless you have a strong hatred for fun and riding horses.
  60. Jan 9, 2013
    this game is so good it really makes u think u r JOHN marston great graphics a rather dark game at times during that time a certain women gets gang raped but it shows how life was back then and the game is just so WOW
  61. Jan 13, 2013
    This game definitely is predominately better than any other Rockstar company game ever made. The fun of this game includes Poker, Liar's Dice, or getting drunk and walking down a western-filled road. The campaign was incredible, I played it all and I absolutely loved it. Rockstar has pulled off a yet again, another amazing game. The graphics are definitely the best I've played for in aThis game definitely is predominately better than any other Rockstar company game ever made. The fun of this game includes Poker, Liar's Dice, or getting drunk and walking down a western-filled road. The campaign was incredible, I played it all and I absolutely loved it. Rockstar has pulled off a yet again, another amazing game. The graphics are definitely the best I've played for in a while. You're getting your money worth. I have to warn parents though lingering on getting their child this game, there is some partial nudity. You can skip these parts though by pressing the "pause" button, or just pressing the "X" button control on your controller. That or just turn off the TV. Multiplayer in this game does NOT include nudity at any time though, language is the main thing in the game you have to worry about. Although I say that, this game is highly recommended. A lot of fun and filled with days of the campaign mode. Expand
  62. Jan 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Read Dead Redemption is one of the most exciting, captivating, story based games I've ever played. But coming from Rockstar, I expect noting less. Including amazing, physics , graphics, and dialogue. As well, as having a ginormous free roaming map. It shows a disguise of being a common shooter game. But in reality, it has all the components of a classic game, within our community. It possesses humor, heart break, and gives you the Western feel. Throughout the game, you feel connections between the characters that you meet, almost as if you really knew them. You feel the tragedies they go through , as if they were your own experiences. In my opinion, this game has single-handedly out shined any game made by Rockstar. I suggest you pick up this game and give it a try, you definitely will not regret making said choice. - Trenton
    My Rating : 9/10
    Red Dead Redemption is the entire package, a most attention grabbing self-portrait of art, impressive dialogue, and a heart stopping act of scenery. The game itself earned my money, I especially enjoyed the campaign of the game. The campaign included a breath sweeping, mind blowing, and anticipated storyline of a cowboy determined to save his family from the downfall of the United States. The storyline also included laughter, seriousness, acts of realism, and fantastic character posing and acting. If you are looking for a game to play that is both serious, and western-like, get Red Dead Redemption right away. My other love for this game takes part in HD graphic multiplayer mode. If I ever needed some good old fun with my friends, I would rally up some and play the multiplayer non-stop. The problems I have with this game, would only have to be the nudity. Now, before you get all serious, the nudity is unnecessary even though it makes the game more realistic, and adds some interest. There are two parts in which nudity occus (which can be skipped), one where you walk in a barn and there is a man with his genitalia cut off and he is hanging completely bare. The next scene (a follow up to the near-ending of the game), is where Jack Marston (your main character), walks in on an old friend of his and a random mexican woman have intercourse. No matter what, it is unnecessary and I don
  63. Jan 28, 2013
    This game is the pinnacle of sandbox adventures. John Marston is a likeable character, the story, like all Rockstar games, is a joy to play through and the ending was definitely a surprise. If the game was released today, the graphics would still be top-notch. The collection of fun mini -games also adds value to an already stellar experience. The multiplayer is fun if you can gatherThis game is the pinnacle of sandbox adventures. John Marston is a likeable character, the story, like all Rockstar games, is a joy to play through and the ending was definitely a surprise. If the game was released today, the graphics would still be top-notch. The collection of fun mini -games also adds value to an already stellar experience. The multiplayer is fun if you can gather together a group of friends. Overall, RDR is a must-have for anyone who owns a PS3/360. Expand
  64. Feb 20, 2013
    Easily one of the best games of the current generation of consoles. It plays like a more polished, Wild West version of GTA but is superior to Rockstar's flagship franchise in nearly every conceivable way. Plain and simple, if you like the Wild West, third person shooters, sand box games, and games with great storytelling than RDR is a can't miss game. The gunplay isn't revolutionary butEasily one of the best games of the current generation of consoles. It plays like a more polished, Wild West version of GTA but is superior to Rockstar's flagship franchise in nearly every conceivable way. Plain and simple, if you like the Wild West, third person shooters, sand box games, and games with great storytelling than RDR is a can't miss game. The gunplay isn't revolutionary but effective and satisfying. The plot isn't the most original out but the characters will draw you in and will remain on your mind long after the game is finished. Where this game truly shines is in it's ability to bring the Old West to life in a way not yet accomplished by any other game. Some might think having such vast stretches of wilderness taking up the game map would make for a boring experience traversing the world but nothing could be further from the truth. As players travel to and from the hustle and bustle of various frontier towns and sleepy settlements they will encounter a number of crazy characters, wild beasts, and side quests to keep them entertained along the way. Every inch of this digital world is teeming with life. The landscape is absolutely gorgeous and traveling this faux-Tex/Mex region on horseback alone a joy. I have never played a game with such efficient and tight horse control as in this game. I won't ramble on any more for fear of ruining the pleasure found in discovering what RDR has to offer on your own but if you are even thinking about buying this game, DO IT! Expand
  65. Feb 11, 2013
    This is one of those rare games that you are really vexed when you have completed it. Wonderful story, characters and phenomenal landscape made for my favourite ever gaming experience. I return to it fairly often for the hunting trails alone. Multiplayer was also enjoyable. Belly laughs throughout. Look forward to a follow-up.........how about "Red Dead or Alive".
  66. Feb 11, 2013
    The best game EVER! fantastic game! i don't have words to express the happiness playing this AWESOME game... the best end... the best story... perfect!
  67. Jul 21, 2013
    Rockstar did it again.Script is awesome and emotionally,excellent gun,horse etc. mechanics,Large map,a lot of atmospheres,Content is really enough.Undisputed Top 3 western games of all time and top 30 games of all-time.Masterpiece.
  68. Feb 16, 2013
    It gives a real cowboy vibe, (I would now, I was born in 1873) Has a pretty good storyline, and great gameplay.
    The multiplayer is absolutely great, and it features a free roam mode, where you can start a posse and kill other posses. It has a few bugs though, but don't let them get in the way of an otherwise extraordinary game.
    After you finish the story missions, theres still plenty to
    After you finish the story missions, theres still plenty to do such as, challenges, stranger side-missions,
    bounty hunting and duels.
  69. Feb 19, 2013
    An absolute masterpiece by Rockstar Games, you get real-life early 20th century American and wild west features, along with a suspenseful plot, and amazing gameplay, totally worth the 60 bucks!
  70. Mar 7, 2013
    I feel complete playing this game. That's something I've never said before for a game, and something that probably won't be said again in a long time (until Bioshock Infinite maybe) but seriously, this game will change your life. For better.
  71. Feb 20, 2013
    There is nothing more i can expect from a game...
    I was extremely happy to play RDR,now dat i have completed it, I don't know what to do..Eagerly waiting for the Sequel or prequel...
    I recommend this game to everybody on this planet...
  72. Feb 26, 2013
    Amazing game, wonderful, love the theme, the genre, the music, graphics etc. GTA in the wild west. If for whatever reason you don't have this game, and are looking for something to do on the PS3, get it now!
  73. Mar 6, 2013
    It`s the best game I`ve ever played, in decades of gaming. What can I say about the immersive plot, the enormous open map, the beautiful soundtrack, the perfect gameplay. And the ending just makes you want to cry. You can almost feel everything John Marston feels, it simply feels like a movie that you can control. Legen, wait for it, dary!
  74. Jun 27, 2013
    I was wary of how well an old western setting could be made into a video game, but this one nailed it. RDR has a great story, setting and mechanics. And just when you thought it couldn't get any better, they release "The Undead Nightmare" and throw a twist on everything, but it's great.
  75. Apr 6, 2013
    Never have I seen such an immersive world with a plethora of engaging stuff to do. Fun stuff that doesn't feel tacked-on; mini-games, side-missions, main missions, multiplayer. The world is detailed and intricate, it totally fits the style of the early 1900's western feel. The storyline is also compelling and is full of twists you won't see coming, complete with superb voice acting. ItsNever have I seen such an immersive world with a plethora of engaging stuff to do. Fun stuff that doesn't feel tacked-on; mini-games, side-missions, main missions, multiplayer. The world is detailed and intricate, it totally fits the style of the early 1900's western feel. The storyline is also compelling and is full of twists you won't see coming, complete with superb voice acting. Its ending by the way was so unexpected and was one of those truly great "Oh s***!" moments in gaming. There is so much stuff to do in this game, I mean Rockstar really went all out. It is truly a spectacle witnessing such a great game ascending to such heights. There is so much to mention and it is all so solid that I just can't find a fault with anything in the game. Yes, there a few bugs every now and then but they're never a detriment to the game, if anything they even enhance the experience with how ridiculously funny they are. I cannot recommend enough that you spend your hard-earned cash on this game. Trust me, you won't regret it. Expand
  76. Aug 11, 2013
    A perfect western sandbox game. There's enough content here to last you hundreds of hours.

It really seems rockstar can do no wrong when it comes to sandbox genre.

The protagonist of the story is a really memorable one, much better than the ones in gta series.
  77. Jul 2, 2013
    The story is perfect and was really worth doing, you sure won't regret following it. The gameplay is fun, but can be a bit repetitive. Your riding your horse most of the time, but what would you expect with an open world wild west game? The game sure has some flaws, but is a great experience. The real bad thing about this game are the awful minigames. I played all of them and dislikedThe story is perfect and was really worth doing, you sure won't regret following it. The gameplay is fun, but can be a bit repetitive. Your riding your horse most of the time, but what would you expect with an open world wild west game? The game sure has some flaws, but is a great experience. The real bad thing about this game are the awful minigames. I played all of them and disliked them, really terrible that you have to do those minigames for the 100%. Expand
  78. Jun 14, 2013
    RDR is likely my favorite game of all time. I've been playing games since 1975 and I've seen a lot.
    The atmosphere, music, dialogues, characters... everything is done in a way where the game is very
    immersive. I remember looking forward to play the game after work just to escape and relax. A true MASTERPIECE. Likely the only game I will give a 10.
  79. Jun 17, 2013
    I can't believe that this game has a lower score than GTA4.It is clearly the better game.Interesting side missions,fun characters, yup this is for me the best game for this generation.
  80. Jun 20, 2013
    Red Dead Redemption. I'll admit I love the wild west, like Doc Brown from Back to the Future I would definitely go back to this time period. In this case, I don't think even Doc Brown could tell the difference as this is one of the most amazing experiences I have had in a video game. It made me angry, happy, sad, excited and sometimes downright evil. Rockstar really made anotherRed Dead Redemption. I'll admit I love the wild west, like Doc Brown from Back to the Future I would definitely go back to this time period. In this case, I don't think even Doc Brown could tell the difference as this is one of the most amazing experiences I have had in a video game. It made me angry, happy, sad, excited and sometimes downright evil. Rockstar really made another masterpiece. You feel like a real cowboy from gunning down civilians to robbing trains to bounty hunting varmints on horseback. This is the definitive western experience that does not require a time machine. Expand
  81. Jan 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the only game I would consider perfect. Out of all the games I'v ever played, this is the best by a country mile.

First off, the change in direction was an absolutely brilliant move by Rockstar. I wasn't a big fan of GTA IV, so a breath of fresh air was definitely good. The new setting of The Wild West is fantastic, expansive and full of random events and things to discover. Hunting, Marksmanship and Treasure Hunting are just some of the things to do in this amazing world.

The graphics are superb. There are sometimes a few bugs, but otherwise they're flawless. Sunrise and Sunset look amazing, and the water graphics are also superb. The movement and appearance of humans and animals is great, especially horses. I'm still looking for a game that has better horse graphical animations than Red Dead Redemption.

The music is also flawless. Just look up the soundtrack if you don't believe me. It consists of your standard Wild West Saloon music to your licensed tracks, like the one as you enter Mexico. It's an unforgettable soundtrack and it adds to the game immensely.

The controls are spot on, and the introduction of Dead Eye is a welcome addition, especially when taking down animals or large groups of enemies. The weapon selection wheel is great for changing weapons or equipment quickly, and seeing how much ammunition you have for each gun before entering a fight. The controls are also great, as they add a new feel to the horses and how they're stamina is affected by galloping for long periods of time.

Storywise, this is my favourite game ever. Red Dead Redemption tells the story of John Marston, a former gang member, and how he is forced by Federal agents to take up his guns and hunt the men he once rode with in order to save his family. His journey takes him from ranches to the outback of Mexico, where he becomes a crucial figure in the Mexican Revolution. The addition of character with conscience in a Rockstar game is a welcome change, as it provides much more variety than your average mass-murdering sociopath offered by Grand Theft Auto. The game still allows you to go on murderous rampages, bu the new Honour system may discourage you as it decreases as you commit crimes and kill people, and it starts to affect how NPCs view you. Similar to this is Fame, which increases as you play through the story and perform big actions that affect the world. These two features are great as they add a sense of progression throughout the story as you become more notorious and well-known throughout The Wild West. The end of the game is an emotional one, and it will leave you questioning who's side you're on, before the Federal Agents finally betray John Marston and kill him. You are then allowed to play as John's son, Jack, and have the option of hunting John's killer and duelling him in a standoff for an alternative ending to the game. This addition is fantastic as it means the game doesn't end on a sad note, and it allows you to find redemption for Jack Marston.

Overall I cannot recommend this game more. If it isn't a PS3 Essential/Platinum title, it should be. It earns it's title as my favourite game ever, and I'm sure it will make an impression on you to. If you don't own this game; grab it before you're sucked into another story-driven game on Next-Gen.
  82. Jun 22, 2013
    the game is perfect!
    the plot is very interesting and you have a lot things to do, like story mission, side missions and perfect multiplayer.
    everyone must play this game!
  83. Jun 27, 2013
    This game shows why rockstar is one of the most beloved game company's in the world, with its utterly amazing: RED DEAD REDEMPTION. The graphics are stellar, the map is massive, detailed, and full of life, gameplay is fun and addicting, and the story is absolutely fantastic. I simply have nothing to complain about except for very few bugs and glitches, which won't be penalised, as I thinkThis game shows why rockstar is one of the most beloved game company's in the world, with its utterly amazing: RED DEAD REDEMPTION. The graphics are stellar, the map is massive, detailed, and full of life, gameplay is fun and addicting, and the story is absolutely fantastic. I simply have nothing to complain about except for very few bugs and glitches, which won't be penalised, as I think it's 100% impossible to make a game without some technical errors. In short, this game is a masterpiece, and unmissable experience. Expand
  84. Jul 3, 2013
    It is impossible to say that Red Dead Redemption is a bad game. It is a unique open world with a unique world to explore that only Rockstar could create. John Marston is a character with whom I most identified, is a special character, who just wants his family back. Throughout the game the player encounters unusual characters, and dangerous, but they are just to emphasize the world inIt is impossible to say that Red Dead Redemption is a bad game. It is a unique open world with a unique world to explore that only Rockstar could create. John Marston is a character with whom I most identified, is a special character, who just wants his family back. Throughout the game the player encounters unusual characters, and dangerous, but they are just to emphasize the world in which the player is inserted. There are many activities to do, and a world to explore, there are several ways to earn money and to top it off, this game features a multiplayer that is worth being played. The game has a few bugs, but those bugs is the price to pay for one of the best looking games around. Expand
  85. Jul 5, 2013
    It is impossible to say that Red Dead Redemption is a bad game. It is a unique open world with a unique world to explore that only Rockstar could create. John Marston is a character with whom I most identified, is a special character. Throughout the game the player encounters unusual characters, and dangerous, but they are just to emphasize the world in which the player is inserted. ThereIt is impossible to say that Red Dead Redemption is a bad game. It is a unique open world with a unique world to explore that only Rockstar could create. John Marston is a character with whom I most identified, is a special character. Throughout the game the player encounters unusual characters, and dangerous, but they are just to emphasize the world in which the player is inserted. There are many activities to do, and a world to explore, there are several ways to earn money and to top it off, this game features a multiplayer that is worth being played. The game has a few bugs, but those bugs are the price to pay for one of the best looking games around. Expand
  86. Dec 7, 2013
    Rockstar nailed the look and feel of this game. There's great visual fidelity, and some of the best sound design a game has ever had. There is a mission where you go with a character named irish to mexico, and the ending that leaves you riding through mexico at sunrise with a great song will give you goosebumps. The story is excellent, and has plenty of wacky characters for you to meet, myRockstar nailed the look and feel of this game. There's great visual fidelity, and some of the best sound design a game has ever had. There is a mission where you go with a character named irish to mexico, and the ending that leaves you riding through mexico at sunrise with a great song will give you goosebumps. The story is excellent, and has plenty of wacky characters for you to meet, my only gripe is that the story seems like the story keeps going on and on forever. The ending also left me feeling EXTREMELY underwhelmed. It felt like I had dumped 50 hours into the game, and had no idea why. The gameplay is across the board very good, with some standouts and some missed notes. Gunplay, horse controls, deuling, and hunting are excellent, along with the slo-mo dead eye shooting mode which allows you to tag multiple targets and helps you pull off impressive kills/get out of sticky situations. I don't like how whenever you skin an animal, you have to watch the same cutscene of John skinning the carcass again and again, which can get long if you're hunting bears or elk (there is a glitch which allows you to skip it if you park your horse over the animal and then skin it). RDR is one of the games of this generation hands down, and while you're at it, you can also play the excellent multiplayer and the phenomonal zombie apocalypse dlc undead nightmare. Fantastic overall Expand
  87. Jul 18, 2013
    This game was one that rode into the sunset with everything it did right finally a western game I can take my hat off to. This game taught me how to play poker how to be good a horseshoe throwing and how to ride horses bareback style. Everything from the single player to the multiplayer feels needed in the game going hunting, duels, posses and bounty's. Do yourself a favour next time youThis game was one that rode into the sunset with everything it did right finally a western game I can take my hat off to. This game taught me how to play poker how to be good a horseshoe throwing and how to ride horses bareback style. Everything from the single player to the multiplayer feels needed in the game going hunting, duels, posses and bounty's. Do yourself a favour next time you play this game put your Akubra hat on with a nice pair cowboy boots and pour yourself a glass of whiskey to add to the experience. This game gets a 9.6 from me and my guaranteed seal of approval Expand
  88. Jul 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a brilliant game this is.
    Red Dead Redemption has a compelling storyline which certainly dissuades you from skipping the conversations. With Rockstar making this game, you cannot help but compare the quality of this game to Grand Theft Auto. This is at a completely different standard to GTA, which makes me wonder why they have several games in the series and why this stands alone.
    Obviously, this is set in the Wild West and involves everything from duels to breaking up fights. You are an outlaw who is avenging the attempted murder by the equivalent to GTA's gangsters.

I cannot understand how people can rate this negatively, and bizarrely the reviews are made by people who for example can't spell the world "horse!"
  89. Nov 28, 2013
    The game just recreated reference western, even the Clint Eastwood did it. In terms of gameplay the truth is sagging because of similar assignments, but the setting and the mechanics of the game and well worth it. Try this game if you love westerns.
  90. Aug 10, 2013
    I loved this game. Great graphics, a very fun and engrossing setting. The whole atmosphere was steeped in Wild West themes and tropes that felt real and immersive. Game play was deep and rewarding, much like a GTA game (targeting, movement, etc). Horse riding/fighting is natural, hunting is addictive, world is appropriately dangerous, missions are dynamic. Some aspects of plot areI loved this game. Great graphics, a very fun and engrossing setting. The whole atmosphere was steeped in Wild West themes and tropes that felt real and immersive. Game play was deep and rewarding, much like a GTA game (targeting, movement, etc). Horse riding/fighting is natural, hunting is addictive, world is appropriately dangerous, missions are dynamic. Some aspects of plot are disappointing but only because the characters feel real and most players will care what happens to them. A must play. Expand
  91. Aug 11, 2013
    The graphics are ass-kicking. The storyline is awesome and you always wanna know what will happen next. I think the controls of the horses could be better, but you can deal with it. There is much "crap" that you can do, that make fun but i got tired of those things after about 5 hours. If you like the only one of the old classic Western-Movies you will love the dirty, "grity" style of RedThe graphics are ass-kicking. The storyline is awesome and you always wanna know what will happen next. I think the controls of the horses could be better, but you can deal with it. There is much "crap" that you can do, that make fun but i got tired of those things after about 5 hours. If you like the only one of the old classic Western-Movies you will love the dirty, "grity" style of Red Dead. The shooting system makes a lot of fun and it´s still makes fun after hours and hours of playing. I don´t think that it´s better than GTA 4, but i think it´s asa good as GTA. I would love to play this on my Hiht-End-Gaming-PC Expand
  92. Sep 2, 2013
    This Game is by far the best game I have played, Rockstar has combined awesome and addictive gameplay with an awesome story. Also Deadeye is just the most badass thing I have seen in a videogame.
  93. Sep 5, 2013
    now this is a good game I haven't played single player much as the multiplayer is good enough to justify whatever the cost is now. but that may be me. I have been playing this on and off for two ears now and still can't find a problem with it. very good game. just giving it 9/10 because it isn't my favorite game. glitches are funny too and not a bad thing at all.
  94. Sep 5, 2013
    Probably my favorite game of all time, Red Dead Redemption is an artful masterpiece. The characters, landscape, and animals are all impeccable crafted. Definitely a must-buy for any gamer.
  95. Feb 18, 2014
    OMG! This game (2. TLOU and 3.GTA V) is the best game I had ever played. Big, beautiful world, great story, won and one of the best main character ever. Thank you Rockstar.
  96. Sep 28, 2013
    Mi segunda compañía favorita de videojuegos es Rockstar, y con una sólida razón: sus juegos son impresionantes y hechos con suma importancia para que el público haga buen uso de ellos y gusten, y entre esos juegos se encuentra "Red Dead Redemption", un juego totalmente impresionante que, como todos sabemos es otra joya en el gran nido de Rockstar. Es un juego totalmente completo y digno deMi segunda compañía favorita de videojuegos es Rockstar, y con una sólida razón: sus juegos son impresionantes y hechos con suma importancia para que el público haga buen uso de ellos y gusten, y entre esos juegos se encuentra "Red Dead Redemption", un juego totalmente impresionante que, como todos sabemos es otra joya en el gran nido de Rockstar. Es un juego totalmente completo y digno de ser comprado y experimentar el lejano oeste como nunca antes lo has hecho. Expand
  97. Oct 10, 2013
    I agree with evreyone on the the fact that this game really is a 10/10 and that it is alot better than GTA 4 and if you are wondering why it is for these simple reasons the colours are so much more vibrant and realistic, the gameplay has the element thats called DEAD EYE and it really is one of the most amusing awesome modes for gameplay i have ever had the pleasure to use, and anotherI agree with evreyone on the the fact that this game really is a 10/10 and that it is alot better than GTA 4 and if you are wondering why it is for these simple reasons the colours are so much more vibrant and realistic, the gameplay has the element thats called DEAD EYE and it really is one of the most amusing awesome modes for gameplay i have ever had the pleasure to use, and another reason is that the controls are better, the sound is better, the world is full of different areas, so for example rich snowy mountains, scorching deserts and towns that show the industrial revolution at its finest. So the bottom line is that this game is a masterpiece and shows what develops can do if they put there mind to it,and they are rewarded or we are rewarded in having simply the BEST OPEN WORLD GAME EVER MADE and one of the best games ever in general. Expand
  98. Oct 5, 2013
    rockstar truly make the best games this game is great, nothing like the good old western days mounted on the back of a horse shooting crazy lunatics and cowboys with a great story and character to back it up
  99. Oct 5, 2013
    Um dos melhores games da historia. Nunca gastei meu dinheiro tão bem quando o comprei, recomendo a todos, quem não gostou do jogo, me chupa ou vai dar na zona.
  100. Oct 14, 2013
    Rockstar have outdone themselves with this one, the obvious main focus is the story and it is a brilliant one that will take you all the way across this big map, all of the little events that pop up while you are roaming around add that little bit extra to the game so you have to be quick thinking or you could end up dead or walking the rest of the way to your destination, the graphics areRockstar have outdone themselves with this one, the obvious main focus is the story and it is a brilliant one that will take you all the way across this big map, all of the little events that pop up while you are roaming around add that little bit extra to the game so you have to be quick thinking or you could end up dead or walking the rest of the way to your destination, the graphics are great and the environment is beautiful and there is so much to explore, there is a ton of character development through the as well as a tone of back story on number of character on the way to this game is the bench mark for all open world games and to date nothing has bettered it and we might have to wait until we see a Red Dead Redemption sequel for it to be bettered Expand
  101. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers. Red Dead is a masterpeice, plain and simple. The story is breathtaking and will leave you wanting more, yet being satisfied. The free roam is fun and has the added joy of joining a posse with friends and fighting other gangs. The story is extremely long and occasionally slow, but in the end it will suck you in and not let go. Fokes leave your computer and buy this game immediately!!! Collapse

1. The game perfectly captures the expansiveness of frontier life and the gritty gunplay of spaghetti westerns, rightfully earning its place alongside the great Western films and the best Rockstar games. [Issue#206, p.86]
  2. Rockstar's skill in creating a believable, functioning world with a distinct, coherent and consistent atmosphere is peerless. The broad-brush vision is masterful.
  3. Red Dead Redemption is a masterpiece. This game is the perfect example of how a developer should work to create the best atmosphere and to represent a beautiful historical situation. The graphics, the gameplay elements and everything else is at top level. Buy Red Dead Redemption, now!