8.8

Generally favorable reviews- based on 2005 Ratings

1. Jan 7, 2011
    Beautiful, stylish and engrossing. If you ever had the yearning to be a cowboy in the old west then Rockstar have got all the bases covered. From duels in the streets to poker in a bar in Mexico to watching the sun set ove rthe mountains there is every activity you could ever want to enjoy in the game. Story wise the tale of John Marston is engrossing and you feel deeply connected toBeautiful, stylish and engrossing. If you ever had the yearning to be a cowboy in the old west then Rockstar have got all the bases covered. From duels in the streets to poker in a bar in Mexico to watching the sun set ove rthe mountains there is every activity you could ever want to enjoy in the game. Story wise the tale of John Marston is engrossing and you feel deeply connected to the character throughout the game. This is one of Rockstar's best moments and one which has gameplay for many months to come. Expand
  2. Aug 20, 2010
    Much, much better than GTA 4. Before anybody bashes me with this phrase, hear me out - it is simply a better game, it has that class and charm that I feel was lost after the GTA games on PS2. The graphics are very clean, the landscapes are fantastic (particularly at sunrise/sunset), a part of you feels like you're back in a classic Spaghetti Western when you play this, it's veryMuch, much better than GTA 4. Before anybody bashes me with this phrase, hear me out - it is simply a better game, it has that class and charm that I feel was lost after the GTA games on PS2. The graphics are very clean, the landscapes are fantastic (particularly at sunrise/sunset), a part of you feels like you're back in a classic Spaghetti Western when you play this, it's very authentic looking. The controls don't have a steep learning curve, the music is well done, even though I think this was the game's main weakness (I would have brought in Ennio Morricone for it), the characters are full of life (and if you have friends similar to Irish, it makes it all the more amusing), the side missions are mixed in difficulty and can happen anytime you're out on your horse or for a walk. Pure and simply, if you're interested in American History, Movies about the wild west, Graphic Novels about the wild west, dressing up like a Cowboy to a rodeo show, playing the hero or the antagonist, travelling around the south western USA and mexico, and have a 360 or PS3 available - this is a game that deserves a good look! Expand
  3. Sep 9, 2010
    This game is a sigh that even games like GTA IV are now a thing of the past. Rockstar delivered a masterpiece that is worthy of GOTY for 2010. Plus, one of the best endings in recent gaming history!
  4. Sep 10, 2010
    Open-World Western? Check. Arsenal of weapons at the users disposal? Check. Expansive, detailed, massive world? Check. Rockstar once again essentially raises the bar for the open-world genre. With enough missions and side quests to keep you busy for hours-upon-hours, a world where every inch begs to be explored, and a cast of memorable characters who follow an engaging, adrenaline-fueledOpen-World Western? Check. Arsenal of weapons at the users disposal? Check. Expansive, detailed, massive world? Check. Rockstar once again essentially raises the bar for the open-world genre. With enough missions and side quests to keep you busy for hours-upon-hours, a world where every inch begs to be explored, and a cast of memorable characters who follow an engaging, adrenaline-fueled plot, this game is simply put, phenomenal. Red Dead Redemption is a shining example of how to make a western game, and one no fan of the genre should miss. If your not convinced to buy the game yet, apparently you have yet to drag a helpless civilian by the feet behind your horse as you ride off into the sunset. Expand
  5. ERB
    Nov 30, 2013
    Red Dead Redemption is one of the games in the PS3 console we will always remember.The game looks so real and the graphics in this game is beautiful.The world in this game huge and it is fun adventuring the whole world of red dead redemption.The horses in this game looks awesome and I love riding the horses in this game.It is fun!You can also go to bars and drink beer.After you drink soRed Dead Redemption is one of the games in the PS3 console we will always remember.The game looks so real and the graphics in this game is beautiful.The world in this game huge and it is fun adventuring the whole world of red dead redemption.The horses in this game looks awesome and I love riding the horses in this game.It is fun!You can also go to bars and drink beer.After you drink so many beers your character will go drunk which is funny.The guns in this game is also cool and my favorite gun is the Mauser Pistol"The Mauser Pistol is a gun from Germany".There are just not one country here but there are two in this game.You can adventure America And Mexico.I'll give the graphics in this game a score of 3/3 and the world of Red Dead Redemption a score of 2/2.

The game play in this game is fun.There is this new bullet time"Like Max Payne"which is called the Dead Eye.The dead eye allows you to not get any damage while Dead Eye is active.The Dead Eye also allows you to put an x marks on the enemy and when you shot with your gun the bullets are fired on where you put x marks on the enemy.The Dead Eye is so cool.It is fun playing in an open world game especially when you are in the Wild West.The game play is fun and I love It!The game play gets a score of 2/2.

The most important thing in this game is the story.The story of John Marston begins when the law captured John's family and the law told him to kill the criminals whom they are John's formal gang mates and friends.The friends he had before are notorious criminals.Now John is forced to pick up his guns and kill who the law are asking him to kill.The story of Red Dead Redemption is interesting and the ending in this game is so touching that it really made me cry in a good way.I love this game Red Dead Redemption is a legendary game for the PS3.Thank you Rockstar for making this game.This game is incredible.We all love this game.I'm giving the story of this game a score of 3/3.Combine all the scores for this game and It gets a 10/10!This game is legendary and I recommend you people to buy this game now and try playing it.I promise you people you will love this game.Rockstar please make a sequel for Red Dead Redemption.I love this game.I love Red Dead Redemption.
  6. Apr 23, 2011
    rockstar takes the GTA formula and adds it to a western game and i feel they have improved it. i wasnt to impressed with GTA4 but this game did . it deffinitly captures that western feel with some nice graphics , solid voice acting , a ok story that can be intresting some times and dull other times. its a fun sand box game and im glad to see they fixed the whole police chasing stuff downrockstar takes the GTA formula and adds it to a western game and i feel they have improved it. i wasnt to impressed with GTA4 but this game did . it deffinitly captures that western feel with some nice graphics , solid voice acting , a ok story that can be intresting some times and dull other times. its a fun sand box game and im glad to see they fixed the whole police chasing stuff down to where they all arnt crazy maniacs chasing you down relentlessly non stop like in the GTA games . the game took me about 30 hours to finish and there is alot of bonus stuff you can do . there is a pretty solid selection of wepons you can use . the cover system is decent and i found the aiming abit of a chore and took me awhile to get use to it. the game is also alittle buggy and glitchy i didnt find any of it really game breaking . i had 1 freeze up and a few other things happen. all in all RDR was a real fun game i havent tried the online yet and want to down load the undead nightmare DLC but PSN is down but i have heard it alot of fun so looking foward to it. Expand
  7. Aug 31, 2010
    This game reminds you why you play games! Great game, great story and one hell of a main character and awesome side characters who really grow on you. You really care about John Marston and he is very like-able, they did an excellent job on John Marston, on of the best protagonist ever created. The only thing that is a bummer is that is has no replay value. Ones you are finished, whichThis game reminds you why you play games! Great game, great story and one hell of a main character and awesome side characters who really grow on you. You really care about John Marston and he is very like-able, they did an excellent job on John Marston, on of the best protagonist ever created. The only thing that is a bummer is that is has no replay value. Ones you are finished, which will take you approx 40 - 50 hours if you are thorough, it is done. The story is told and time to shut the book and move on. Expand
  8. Aug 29, 2010
    9.5 Amazing environments, fantastic controls, and incredibly addictive. Rockstar somehow keeps creating compelling characters because its one of the few gaming studios left that ACTUALLY KNOW HOW TO WRITE GOOD SCRIPTS. This is definitely one of the best games of the year so far.
  9. Aug 29, 2010
    Red Dead Redemption is a original thriller of Rockstar, is true ... His immersion, graphics effects, his soundtrack and epic love your way to practically all types of players.

John Marston is a great character and justifies this in the wonderful storyline that the game provides. The missions are well balanced and many things are new at this game. It's amazing how Rockstar managed to

It's amazing how Rockstar managed to faithfully reproduce the old-with this primacy. It's really one of the greatest games of all time.

Since I have so much to write, my grade is 9 to why it could not be less than that. It's a review from Brazil, take care world ! =]
  10. Sep 14, 2010
    Red Dead is a brand of its own, hosting a massive world of rustic locales, interesting npcs, and beautiful graphics. What it does best though is it captures the Western feel of cinema, something very few games have ever done right (if ever). A long game depending how you play, which is very ambiguous and up to the player. Whether your hunting, capturing a bounty, free roaming, or justRed Dead is a brand of its own, hosting a massive world of rustic locales, interesting npcs, and beautiful graphics. What it does best though is it captures the Western feel of cinema, something very few games have ever done right (if ever). A long game depending how you play, which is very ambiguous and up to the player. Whether your hunting, capturing a bounty, free roaming, or just killing innocents, Red Dead has something for everyone; the cowboys, and the cowboys at heart. Expand
  11. Sep 14, 2010
    Fantastic game, a GTA beater I don't know. If your looking for an interesting, new, different open world game then you could not go wrong with RDR. If your interested in cowboy movies and you have a small interest in computer games, then this will turn you in to a gaming addict, If your interested in computer games and have a small interest in cowboy movies then you will love this game. IfFantastic game, a GTA beater I don't know. If your looking for an interesting, new, different open world game then you could not go wrong with RDR. If your interested in cowboy movies and you have a small interest in computer games, then this will turn you in to a gaming addict, If your interested in computer games and have a small interest in cowboy movies then you will love this game. If your just interested in computer games, then there's a good chance that you will love this game anyway. Expand
  12. Sep 20, 2010
    Read dead is a fantastic game, from fun addicting game play to amazing graphics. I had loads of fun playing this game; itâ
  13. May 25, 2011
    Rockstars best game. This game is so much better than all their other games in every aspect (apart from L.A. Noire which is much more innovative). Shortly: it's GTA: Cowboy but with a lot of improvements.
    The game has amazing graphics, some of the best characters in a video gamer ever, a quite good story, great gameplay, dynamic environment: you can go hunting, saving people, killing people, stealing stuff, robbing stuff, catching criminals etc etc ... and all this feels really realistic and alive. The only thing I can bash on is that it's still the standard (in the main quest) go from "point A to point B" thing. There is no real choice on how to do a mission which feels very linear to the rest of the game. But anyhow, it's one of the best games ever and it's definatley Rockstars best game. Love it.
  14. Aug 2, 2011
    This is not only the best game I have ever played; I think it belongs in a new class. Nothing else has come close. It is the most immersive open world experience out there. The graphics are stunning graphics, the voice acting excellent, and the sheer number of interesting activities is mind-boggling. This is not simply GTA with horses, it is a significant leap ahead.
  15. Sep 13, 2011
    Dull. This is the best word for this game. Sorry, but I am not interested in skinning racoons, or riding MILES across plains to get to the next shootout. Yes, beautiful, atmospheric, clever, well made. But dull.
  16. Apr 4, 2012
    Never was a fan of GTA series but a big fan of Westerns. So I was intrigued at the concept of a sandbox game mixed with a Western background. The result was one of the best gaming experiences ever. The storyline is greatly influenced by classic Western movies like The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Plus, the soundtrack is one of most memorable pieces of music I've had the pleasure of listening to.
  17. Feb 28, 2011
    So, this is one of the best games I've ever played, hands down. It's not the grudgingly good score some give games that are rated well but not quite as enjoyable as expected, nor is it one that I am fanboyish about because I just happened to be in the perfect mood for it one sleepless night. Those games, and we all know there are plenty of examples of each, all have something to improveSo, this is one of the best games I've ever played, hands down. It's not the grudgingly good score some give games that are rated well but not quite as enjoyable as expected, nor is it one that I am fanboyish about because I just happened to be in the perfect mood for it one sleepless night. Those games, and we all know there are plenty of examples of each, all have something to improve on. Yet RDR has nothing to improve on, it simply gives us a living, breathing world, and lets us romp around in it like the heroes of westerns would have, but with the self-conscious modernist philosophical twist Rockstar showed more crudely in GTA. The societal commentary is there, but more intelligent and not as nihilistic or snarky as in GTA. Much more consistent message and world all around here.

So, the GTA formula is inevitably what this game will be compared to by anyone who ever played Rockstar's stuff since GTA 3. And it's a fair comparison because it's superficially just like GTA, but, unlike GTA, it is quite refined in action. There is no tedious travel because you can quick travel with a minimum amount of downtime, yet you can appreciate the landscape if you wish by just riding toward the sun and seeing where it leads you (try it at sunset, it's pretty and it's fun).

The GTA formula could not, IMHO, get much more refined than this, because not only is it convenient, but it encourages you to explore and has a TON of stuff for anyone who wants to go outside the storyline and play around. There are 10 ranks in 4 different categories of various tasks, in hunting, shooting, picking herbs, and treasure hunting. I love all these activites, and it's fun to work on them because they feel so natural in conjunction with running around across the landscape.

So rather than rehash what you can read in dozens of professional reviews, I guess I want to say, to clear away all the informational overload, how I react to this game overall, and how it fits into the landscape of gaming these days. This game is more like Oblivion than any other, I believe, because its best character is the world in which everything takes place. Except unlike Oblivion, its polish, detail, and mind-boggling variety will even impress the most pissy, jaded critics. The world has a personality of its own, and there are two basic themes that shine through this entire experience - a rustic nostalgia we all love from the best 50's westerns, and also the kind of serious humanistic character-driven drama we get from the best modern cinema. There are plenty of examples of both in this game, which is one of the biggest reasons that it succeeds so well, that it does not simply flip the bird to everyone the way Grand Theft Auto did. There is depth and maturity in, not only the story, but the whole world and style. This, folks, is a video game world if there ever was one, not just a haphazard collection of missions - so get it already if you have a PS3 or 360 and if you love quality games. And, on a side note, if jaggies bother you in your games you will have to get used to them, especially for the PS3 version, which has quite a bit of aliasing that distorts the otherwise beautiful landscape. Odd since the PS3 is so much more powerful with exclusives. As a PC gamer I am especially picky about graphics, but even compared to many other PS3 games the jaggies are pretty noticeable, and I heard the 360 version's graphics are smoother.

To close, I did read about the exploitation of the Rockstar SD employees by executives, and I think it's a travesty - if someday a Rockstar SD employee might read this review, the silent majority of gamers wish you could've been given an extra year to make this game if that meant you could've worked a reasonable work week. To think that the few hundred men and women who made one of the greatest games of our generation had to worry about their labor rights being upheld is simply ridiculous. But in the end we all appreciate your blood, sweat, and tears, and we hope you continue to do more fantastic work in the future. The game speaks for itself.
  18. Sep 28, 2011
    I don't think I've ever grown to care so much about a character as I did with John Marston. The story is so well crafted and every character feels so believable. I've never liked "doing nothing" in games, but I'd rather do nothing in this game than do something in most games. I understand if some people think this game is hyped and don't enjoy this. But everything in this game is just soI don't think I've ever grown to care so much about a character as I did with John Marston. The story is so well crafted and every character feels so believable. I've never liked "doing nothing" in games, but I'd rather do nothing in this game than do something in most games. I understand if some people think this game is hyped and don't enjoy this. But everything in this game is just so beautiful and well thought out. Quite buggy from time to time, but nothing too serious. An incredible cowboy simulator, I really really got into the western feeling. Riding is incredible and missions are great! This is the first gime where I really cared about doing everything 100% because I couldn't stop playing it. Also, when the game was over I felt sad for days - I'm not kidding. There was such a big emptiness and I wish I could erase my memory and play it from the beginning. Truly a masterpiece in gaming, much better than GTA IV. Expand
  19. Feb 11, 2011
    This is a spectacular game, and did not disappoint at all. I had trouble putting the controller down every time i played. It is an easy 10 out of 10.
  20. May 12, 2011
    For me this was pretty much everything GTAIV wasn't... an immersive story line with a new world that was exciting to explore, from the mountains all the way down to the lush green plains and then the rolling deserts... The zombie add on was also truly great, changing the world enough so that I wanted to go exploring again to find the yeti's the four horses of the apocalypse... and manyFor me this was pretty much everything GTAIV wasn't... an immersive story line with a new world that was exciting to explore, from the mountains all the way down to the lush green plains and then the rolling deserts... The zombie add on was also truly great, changing the world enough so that I wanted to go exploring again to find the yeti's the four horses of the apocalypse... and many other little hidden gems! One of the best sandbox games ever Expand
  21. Feb 24, 2012
    Let me just say this: Red Dead Redemption is an AMAZING game! , i dont know why some people hate it, i honestly think its one of the best games this gen, I recommend everyone to buy it especially if you like open world/action games
  22. Jan 5, 2013
    PERFECT history
    PERFECT gameplay
    PERFECT (the best i ever **** seen) shooting mode
    PERFECT graphics (it's 2013 and they still surprise me)
    PERFECT scenarios
    PERFECT ambientation of west
    PERFECT
    PERFECT
    **** PERFECT
  23. Jul 11, 2011
    This game is beautiful. The vast landscape, the bustling western towns, the dynamic characters, this game is one of the greatest of this gen. Good job, Rockstar.
  24. Apr 24, 2011
    I am speechless. This game is jaw dropping and a strong entry from Rockstar. Play it on HD if you can, you will love the sceneries and those simple moments just galloping through the fields. Subtle things take little to almost nothing away from the experience. A solid soundtrack and a cleverly written story that climaxes to a fulfilling ending that blends the love of a man for his familyI am speechless. This game is jaw dropping and a strong entry from Rockstar. Play it on HD if you can, you will love the sceneries and those simple moments just galloping through the fields. Subtle things take little to almost nothing away from the experience. A solid soundtrack and a cleverly written story that climaxes to a fulfilling ending that blends the love of a man for his family and the overpowering hand of the system that breaks the soul of man. I can't say anything anymore, it is unjust. Go out and get it and play the whole story, do the side quests, they're fun; and you'll have an experience like no other. I give this game a solid 10, for its direction and cinematography, strong dialogue, and rich thrilling western experience. HD must. Expand
  25. Nov 5, 2011
    Definitely one of my favourite games of all time, the story was well told and the characters were likable, it also built up to a fantastic ending. The gameplay is very similar to Grand Theft Auto 4, however the game adds a few little tweaks and touches to set it apart, most notably the cover system has been heavily immproved as has the shooting, platforming also has a slight emphasis inDefinitely one of my favourite games of all time, the story was well told and the characters were likable, it also built up to a fantastic ending. The gameplay is very similar to Grand Theft Auto 4, however the game adds a few little tweaks and touches to set it apart, most notably the cover system has been heavily immproved as has the shooting, platforming also has a slight emphasis in the game which can be slightly irritating due to Marston's occasionally sluggish movement, however as it isn't brought up often it can be forgiven. Horses take over from the cars of GTA and are a welcome improvement, easy to control and after a few minutes of riding around in the Wild West you'll be shooting from horseback like a true outlaw. Missions vary, with some asking you to assist a rebellion and another (delightful) mission letting you rob a train. However many levels, such as the train level, that offer interesting elements are brushed over and do not reappear, which can be slightly disappointing. The graphics are phenomenal. The deserts, plains and settlements of RDR look beautiful, and the animals and characters populating them are equally impressive. Thanks to the brilliant engine behind the game's physics, NPCs react incredibly realistically to being shot or falling. A shot to the shoulder, for example, will throw back the character, shoulder first whereas a shot to the leg will topple them, leaving them to limp away. The gritty, dark streets of Liberty City have been replaced by the Old Western states of West Elizabeth, New Austin and Nuevo Paraiso, allowing you to trek through Mexico as well as North America. All three locations offer varying terrain, environments, people and wildlife, for example West Elizabeth, the northernmost location offers dense, snowy forests populated by bears and deer as well as a large town full of posh citizens, whereas down south in Nuevo Paraiso, the land is covered with deserts and canyons as well as lower class villages, and Bobcats. The weapons are fun to use and get better as you progress through the story, the downloadable Explosive Rifle being a highlight. The multiplayer is also enjoyable and incredibly satisfying to succeed in. When you first hit the square button you'll be thrown into a free-roam session in which you can roam around performing challenges, breaking the law or just wandering. Alternatively, once dropped into free roam you can open the multiplayer menu by pressing the SELECT button and choose from several game-types (added to with DLC), these generally consist of Teamdeath Match, Deathmatch, and an interesting mode called "grab the bag", it's essentially capture the flag but with a slight twist, the bag weighs a little and slows your character down, you're also limited to a handgun when carrying the bag so it's helpful to ask your teammates for aid at that point, however this game mode can also be played without teams, allowing you to pick up multiple bags and eventually break your shoulders (that was a joke). Another interesting dynamic to multiplayer is that most of the matches begin with a classic Mexican standoff, in the case of team games both teams stand opposite each other and in free-for-all games, players stand in a circle. The seconds leading up to these standoffs are intense and the standoff itself is very satisfying to win. The team that succeeds in the standoff is given a head start, also.

Overall the game is excellent, yes it's held back by a few minor flaws but they're hardly game breakers. If you have a PS3 (or an XBOX for that matter) you should buy this game, perhaps buy the GOTY addition as that includes all of the brilliant DLC packs (Undead Nightmare is unbelievably good) and isn't much more expensive.
  26. Mar 5, 2011
    Nowadays sanbox games are as common as never before and most of them don't do much do be diffrent or unique. The gta series is recycled and other sandbox franchises try to imitate it. Red dead, although from the same developer, is nothing like that and is in fact the best sandbox game I have ever played. There arent many western videogames around so red dead redemption comes out as a veryNowadays sanbox games are as common as never before and most of them don't do much do be diffrent or unique. The gta series is recycled and other sandbox franchises try to imitate it. Red dead, although from the same developer, is nothing like that and is in fact the best sandbox game I have ever played. There arent many western videogames around so red dead redemption comes out as a very unique game. The gameplay in RDR is varied and goes from the regular shooting/escorting missions to sidequests and mini games. The side quests, though usually not related to the main story, are very good and interesting. There are tons of mini games of all sorts( poker, horseshoe etc.) and they are fun. The game really gets incredible with the story mission. the story is a bit similar to that in gta 4 but more subtle. John Marston is a badass but is very human( unlike Niko). You really bond with the characters so you really want to know how everything turns out in the end. The game is incredible in the sound and graphics compartments as well. The graphics are probably the best in sandbox games history and the sound fits perfectly to the game. You really feel like you are in the wild west and exploring the huge map is great. There is also multiplayer, which I didn't really like but others do, if you are intrested in that. The game has quite a few glitches and sometimes they are annoying but they are far far from being a deal breaker. Overall the game is superb. It takes an overused genre and turns it unique back again. As a whole package this game is everything you could hope for in an action game: fun and unique gameplay, great story, good sound, incredible visuals and a ton of replay value. One of my favourites this gen for sure. Expand
  27. Feb 6, 2011
    I make my own Movie with it. Great Game, Great Graphic. It is easy to lose track of time. When I will finish it, I will start again.

I can not wait for the next one.
  28. Apr 28, 2011
    Completed this game just today. A magnificent game that improves over GTA 4 in every possible way. The graphics look more detailed, the gameplay is better and there are far more weapons to be messing about with. My only complaint is that the ending was rushed and I was let down due to the fact that the game felt much shorter than GTA 4.
  29. Apr 2, 2012
    Recently, I'm playing the PS3 version for one of the best games from these generations and what I can say it's that, I didn't find any problem at all in the single-player (glitches , technical problems , or playability difficulties ) . In simple words, Red Dead Redemption is another master piece brought to you by the folks from Rockstar , without a doubt is a definitive tittle to your library.
  30. Apr 19, 2011
    If this game let you get around without that pile of cat food it calls horse it would be a 10.
    Just so much fun and so different from all the other adventure shooters out there.
    It is a must have.
  31. Oct 18, 2011
    A great, great game! RDR takes you to the western world with perfection. John Marston is one of the best characters ever in video games history. Open world, tons of missions, great gameplay, awesome graphics and a soundtrack that makes the experience more immersive! if you have a PS3 or a XBOX360, go and buy this masterpiece! RDR is one of the 3 favorite games of all time (for me).
  32. Sep 25, 2011
    this is a great game with an amaceing story and great gameplay. You can put lots and lots on hours in to this game with so mutch there is to do in it. a 10/10 for me
  33. Sep 7, 2011
    one of the best games ever made! you can spend days playing even when you finished the story because there is more to explore in mutliplayer and single player: challenges, intermission with other players, the great level and thousands of other things which make this game to a MUST HAVE and MUST PLAY for everyone!
  34. Sep 16, 2011
    This game has the one thing that kept GTA IV away from erfect score - unique, uncharted world that has never existed in videogame. Plus fantastic heroes, plot and all game mechanisms.
  35. Oct 12, 2011
    A nearly flawless game. Rockstar took a different path with this game, a more serious storyline rather than the GTA series. You become so attached to the characters and their story, and it really got to me when I played. On the subject of graphics, Red Dead Redemption is beautiful. From the beautiful sunsets, to the tiny details that somebody took time to make. It's a game you really haveA nearly flawless game. Rockstar took a different path with this game, a more serious storyline rather than the GTA series. You become so attached to the characters and their story, and it really got to me when I played. On the subject of graphics, Red Dead Redemption is beautiful. From the beautiful sunsets, to the tiny details that somebody took time to make. It's a game you really have to take slowly to fully enjoy, and you can't quite play it like GTA. Overall, one of my favorite games of all time and why I think Rockstar is one of the best developers out there today. Expand
  36. Nov 15, 2011
    Red Dead is one of the essential games to buy for PlayStation 3. It has a great story, a fantastic map, entertaining side-quests and good character development. Single-player is better than multiplayer in my opinion, because there isn't as much to do online, and other players often kill you for no reason but XP, meaning that you rarely play as a team. I never played Team Deathmatch or theRed Dead is one of the essential games to buy for PlayStation 3. It has a great story, a fantastic map, entertaining side-quests and good character development. Single-player is better than multiplayer in my opinion, because there isn't as much to do online, and other players often kill you for no reason but XP, meaning that you rarely play as a team. I never played Team Deathmatch or the other modes, because no-one else wanted to play on the server I would be on. This is definitely an area Rockstar could improve on. Overall a very fun game, especially the Single-Player. Expand
  37. Nov 23, 2011
    the game is fun and not so much GTA as people say. i really like the hunting part of the game, there is alot of side quests to do so if you want to play more you can always do all the challenges and stranger side missions
  38. Dec 29, 2011
    The best game ever for this style. Better than GTA 4, Better than everything. There's just so many things to do. You can hunt, you can kill outlaws, you can be an outlaw, you can do secondary missions, you can play poker and stuff, you can simply do the main missions (and they're awesome). The only problem is the GLITCHES. the game is loaded of them. I'd give it a 9.5, but I can't. 9 it is, then.
  39. Feb 28, 2011
    As far as games go, it doesn't get much better than this one. The graphics are, at times, strikingly beautiful. The game is also unbelievably well written and acted, there were a couple times during this game which almost made me tear up. Gripping, intelligent, and fierce. A great game all around. Oh, yeah, and it's fun as **** to play.
  40. Feb 22, 2011
    A very immersive experience. The world feels so alive and authentic.This along with the time period and a strong cast of characters allow for an engaging story. The gameplay is a lot of fun and typical of a rockstar game.
  41. Aug 3, 2011
    Great game. Main story is linear but pretty long and interesting. It remainds me movies like Unforgiven. There is large world with a lot of things to do and plenty of side task/quests. If you like TPP action games you have to play it.
  42. Mar 15, 2011
    It is an absolut merit to say that a videogame could capture a good part of Leoni's western moviesfeeling. RDR is one of the greatest videogame experiences because it successfully gathers a well told story, beautiful scenarios, outstanding characters (both major and supporting roles) and the greatest gameplay mechanics and missions compilation from the whole Rockstar's library. It is trueIt is an absolut merit to say that a videogame could capture a good part of Leoni's western moviesfeeling. RDR is one of the greatest videogame experiences because it successfully gathers a well told story, beautiful scenarios, outstanding characters (both major and supporting roles) and the greatest gameplay mechanics and missions compilation from the whole Rockstar's library. It is true that at first I got a little disapointed with the empty world when compared to GTA IV, but on the other hand, traveling from place to place reminded me of how much GTA San Andreas was awesome. If GTA IV impressed me with a higher maturity level than all the previous titles from the series, this subject takes a step further on RDR, as a one of kind plot on its debate about morality and consequences of your action. Plus, a very enjoyable multiplayer content comes with the pack. Not to say that this game is perfect, the final missions are very anticlimactic compared to the rest of the story, but the final mission and the ending makes this bad experienced to be quickly erased from your memory. In the end, you have a one of a kind opportunity to join John Marston on his journey to save everything left that matters to him, and learn from a tragically beautiful perspective that the scars from his past are deeper than the ones in his face, and to comprehend that the good and the bad relies on single actions and gestures of individuals, because people don't simply change, but the cirscunstances always do. Expand
  43. Apr 27, 2011
    Absolutely the most visually stunning game I have ever played. Hours upon Hours could be spent just wandering through the huge map, exploring and admiring the beauty and grace of the game. The multiplayer is fun and has some really great game modes. The real treasure of RDR is the single player. A great story, perfect music, and spectacular eye candy make this a must play game. TheAbsolutely the most visually stunning game I have ever played. Hours upon Hours could be spent just wandering through the huge map, exploring and admiring the beauty and grace of the game. The multiplayer is fun and has some really great game modes. The real treasure of RDR is the single player. A great story, perfect music, and spectacular eye candy make this a must play game. The only reason I give it a 9 out of 10 is the controls are a little clunky especially for multiplayer. That is quickly forgotten when you are transported back to the old west to live out your wildest childhood cowboy adventures. Expand
  44. May 25, 2011
    A bit late in reviewing but, it is truly one of the greatest games ever. Superb storytelling, superb gameplay and a very likeable protagonist. A must have for every PS3 owner
  45. May 19, 2011
    This is one of the greatest games of all time. Red Dead Redemption is the perfect game for Rockstar to make, the story is immersive and the overall gameplay is great! The graphics are some of the best I've seen, this game is just awesome! :P But if your looking to just shoot up the west, then this may not be the game for you. Yes there are amazing gun blazing moments like RockStar alwaysThis is one of the greatest games of all time. Red Dead Redemption is the perfect game for Rockstar to make, the story is immersive and the overall gameplay is great! The graphics are some of the best I've seen, this game is just awesome! :P But if your looking to just shoot up the west, then this may not be the game for you. Yes there are amazing gun blazing moments like RockStar always delivers, but the story is where its at in this game. Now I love to shoot a barman as much as the next guy, but people (while looking through the reviews here) must have expected another GTA 4. This is not GTA, this is better in my personal opinion. I had no problems with this game, maybe a little slow to get the story going, but I love the huge open world, with animals to hunt and bandits to shoot in the face. The multiplayer however is by far the best part, multiplayer free roam is just a blast! Going into possies with your friends and hunting outlaws (or being outlaws) is an exhilarating experience that should be in more games. Overall, I can expect to keep coming back to Red Dead Redemption. Expand
  46. Jun 9, 2011
    Amazing game and a must must must buy for a Western fan. The story is as engrossing as any classic western, visuals and animation are at rockstar quality, sounds are top notch (from the soundtrack to authentic sounding weapons to the excellent voice acting). This is a very long game but exciting every step of the way and story develops slowly but leaves you entirely satisfied at itsAmazing game and a must must must buy for a Western fan. The story is as engrossing as any classic western, visuals and animation are at rockstar quality, sounds are top notch (from the soundtrack to authentic sounding weapons to the excellent voice acting). This is a very long game but exciting every step of the way and story develops slowly but leaves you entirely satisfied at its conclusion. Outside of the main story, there a numerous side adventures that are extremely fun (hunting animals in particular and chasing fugitives). It was a pleasure for me to complete this game 100% which I could not say the same for GTA4. Best Rockstar game of all time. Expand
  47. May 30, 2011
    No game ever deserves a perfect ten, but RDR is the closest to it! Everything about the game is wonderful, the story, the setting and the characters! John Marston quickly becomes a favourite and you become attached to him! My favourite game I have ever played! I didn't want it to end!
  48. Jun 10, 2011
    It's much more than just GTA in the West. It expands upon the already solid formula we're so used to from Rockstar's earlier games and brings its own flavor and character to a genre which was sorely lacking. There's something in this game for everyone and once you've finished the 20+ hour long story, there's always the ranked multiplayer to keep you busy in the Wild West for quite some time.
  49. Jun 14, 2011
    Red Dead Redemption, a must game for every gamer. Great story telling, great characters and great environment, just leaving my controller idle and watching some of the scenery is just a one way of admiring the beauty that Rockstar made. Truly a masterpiece. The only bad thing i found out was the online multiplayer for this game doesn't have the longevity like other games. I went onlineRed Dead Redemption, a must game for every gamer. Great story telling, great characters and great environment, just leaving my controller idle and watching some of the scenery is just a one way of admiring the beauty that Rockstar made. Truly a masterpiece. The only bad thing i found out was the online multiplayer for this game doesn't have the longevity like other games. I went online after 4-5 months after release and I didn't found much people playing anymore.

All in all, even without online, this game can hold it's own.
  50. Jul 6, 2011
    Red Dead Redemption is basically GTA4, but set in the Wild West and you can be a good guy or bad guy. I was never a fan of cowboy movies but the story was epic. I will not tell you anything about the story, but that it was epic. I still can't believe what happened. I don't care if this sounds nerdy but John Marston is one of my video game role models. Now on with the gameplay. Just thinkRed Dead Redemption is basically GTA4, but set in the Wild West and you can be a good guy or bad guy. I was never a fan of cowboy movies but the story was epic. I will not tell you anything about the story, but that it was epic. I still can't believe what happened. I don't care if this sounds nerdy but John Marston is one of my video game role models. Now on with the gameplay. Just think "GTA Wild West Town". Your character feels flexible and you have great gameplay mechanics. The world was so huge I actually got lost (and mauled by a bear). Online is epic (again I can't tell you, you have to experience it). Now a question that always hangs, GTA4 or this? If you want to be a good guy, go for RDR. If you want a modern setting, go for GTA4. Simple as that. But just remember that you get your money's worth in this game. Epic story, epic gameplay, epic online. Get this game. Expand
  51. Jul 10, 2011
    Black Ops and Red Dead Redemption for the PS3 have a great number of cheaters that use everything from modded controllers with rapid fire to lag switches and glitches. Here is a very small list of some of these gamers.

XEL_MALBOROX MR__Arizona RKC_Hell-Raiser Taachii55 Blackpanther021 Tos-7- K_-sA_Abood Bonelessbrownie Devilwearprada_ Hero-Gabriel dir_en_grey04 Gold_RevolverS

XEL_MALBOROX
    Latino131
    RDFC_Butler
    RDFC_KillaKid Dead_Headshots Silentt_Warrior RedMarlboro- Kriss_Lopez
  52. Jul 26, 2011
    Experience the wild west like never before.In Red Dead Redemption you play with the wild gunslinger John Martson who is trying to revenge against the gangster who left him to die.The game is an open world style like Gta ,La Noire,etc that is the style that Rockstar games uses on their games.You can explore the open wild world of Red DEAD REDEMPTION by hunting animals,taking their skin forExperience the wild west like never before.In Red Dead Redemption you play with the wild gunslinger John Martson who is trying to revenge against the gangster who left him to die.The game is an open world style like Gta ,La Noire,etc that is the style that Rockstar games uses on their games.You can explore the open wild world of Red DEAD REDEMPTION by hunting animals,taking their skin for trading,finishing tasks for strangers,completing missions,purchasing homes to save your game,and travelling from MEXICO to US.The gameplay is so much fun because of the accurate controlling of the gun,the simple,easy covering system,the variety of weapons in the game like a wenchester repeater,the knife,the lasso,the shotgun,etc.Very good graphics,high quality textures,realistic landscapes of the mountains,the rivers,and the desserts.The Rockstar team are very well on representing the wild west by the so many details in the game,the old saloons,the houses,the horses,and the high mountains.Strong story of John Martson who is working with the US government agent Edgar Ross to kill the outlaws,in his journey he went to mexico to revenge from Bill Williamson that was his best friend,he was involved with the Mexican revolution against the president,and with the president of mexico.After finishing his deeds with government,he went to his house to see his wife Abigail,his son Jack,and Uncle.Lefting behind the harsh world that he was living in ,but the surprise is the government after making him to work with them,They decided to kill him like a dog but his wife and his son have escaped from them.Jack Martson has grown up to seek revenge for his father.The possitives are good gameplay,strong story,good graphics,fun missions,long map to explore,good voice acting,fun multiplayer.The negatives are the dead eye feature that lets you to kill multiple enemies fast which makes the enemies week and non competitive,and the sadly ending.I am waiting for the next Red Dead Redemption maybe they will make Jack martson the new character in the game.(Sorry for my bad English). Expand
  53. Sep 9, 2011
    LOVE IT , I Must Agree , I Prefer this over GTA 4 AND L.a Noire. Its a Breath taking game and the end is amazing. Never been so attached to the Characters. Theres so many side quests & missions You can do theres never a time where you have NOTHING to do. You can decide if you want to be a Honorable Legend of the West By Helping People in help or An Outlaw robbing banks killing etc. TheresLOVE IT , I Must Agree , I Prefer this over GTA 4 AND L.a Noire. Its a Breath taking game and the end is amazing. Never been so attached to the Characters. Theres so many side quests & missions You can do theres never a time where you have NOTHING to do. You can decide if you want to be a Honorable Legend of the West By Helping People in help or An Outlaw robbing banks killing etc. Theres so much about this game i love i can probably write for 2 hours. Its just Amazing. Graphis are a 10/10 Sunset is truley Gorgeous. The Horses are Beautifully animated and so are the wild animals. Its Honeslty Breath taking. The Story line is WOW. Of course every games graphics have a few kicks and bugs but we play a game for the storyline. I Recommend anyone to buy this game . Its Amazing. And you will NOT be let down Expand
  54. Aug 19, 2011
    Rockstar found gold with this title.Yeah, you can cause havock if you want to, just like in GTA 4, but the story and more importantly, it's feel, makes this game more than a GTA set in the west.They just nailed the inherent sadness of the best westerns.Behaviour, dialog, characters and beautiful graphic design, all evoke those hard, past times.The ordeal the main character has to overcameRockstar found gold with this title.Yeah, you can cause havock if you want to, just like in GTA 4, but the story and more importantly, it's feel, makes this game more than a GTA set in the west.They just nailed the inherent sadness of the best westerns.Behaviour, dialog, characters and beautiful graphic design, all evoke those hard, past times.The ordeal the main character has to overcame to find some kind of solace it's handled in a very serious manner, giving the ending some extraordinary gravitas to it I've never seen before on a game.The gameplay is flawless, a 3rd person shooter with varied, fun missions you can accomplish to advance the main story or side missions for secondary characters which provide some much needed comic relief.The game's long and fun, and it has a multiplayer that give it endless replayability.Highly recommended! Expand
  55. Aug 25, 2011
    There is so much fun stuff to do in this game. I feel like you can't be bored playing this game. The game is beautiful, so even just sitting on your horse, admiring the Mexican sunset while watching deer jump across the plain is awesome. A fresh change of pace from GTA for Rockstar most indeed. The story was brilliant especially the end.
  56. Aug 27, 2011
    Unquestionably one of the best games ever made, nothing combines action, story-telling with an old-west feel like RDR. People may say that GTA 4 is better than RDR, but Niko is just some petty criminal, whereas Marston is fighting for a just cause.
  57. May 22, 2012
    This game is absolutely fantastic. The taking of GTA-esque gameplay and open world and bringing it to the Wild West is brilliant. The story is fantastic, the gameplay is smooth and fun, and all the things you can do and places you can explore leave the player with a fulfilling gaming experience. The only thing that I believed was lacking was the multiplayer, but who even needs that inThis game is absolutely fantastic. The taking of GTA-esque gameplay and open world and bringing it to the Wild West is brilliant. The story is fantastic, the gameplay is smooth and fun, and all the things you can do and places you can explore leave the player with a fulfilling gaming experience. The only thing that I believed was lacking was the multiplayer, but who even needs that in such a single-player driven game! Expand
  58. Oct 18, 2011
    Simply one of the best games ever if not the best.To be frank have still not completed the game but all the time that i spent playing felt it was worth.never a dull moment be it our hero riding the horse all the way across the map or searching for flowers in the wild(yeah you do that for increasing a challenge called survivalist) or even playing card games its all so fun... along withSimply one of the best games ever if not the best.To be frank have still not completed the game but all the time that i spent playing felt it was worth.never a dull moment be it our hero riding the horse all the way across the map or searching for flowers in the wild(yeah you do that for increasing a challenge called survivalist) or even playing card games its all so fun... along with that u have all the western style shooting which adds up more fun... the oonly thing that cud have been better i wud say was the graphics and music.. but trust compared to the other games out there those are still pretty good.. whatever gamer u are this is one of those games u have to play before u die........ 9.5/10. Expand
  59. Oct 23, 2011
    The only thing that I hate from this game is : Why The John Marston Cannot Swimm ?? great riding horse,great visualization,great hunting,great storyline and characters
  60. Feb 12, 2012
    Fantastic game by Rockstar. The PS2 Red Dead Revolver I believe has a better story line than Red Dead Redemption. I enjoyed the weapons, enemies, and over all plot. I like the ending which had an excellent twist. I believe this is a solid title with plenty of extras that will keep you coming back for more.
  61. Feb 24, 2012
    What a GREAT game! , i dont know why some people hate it, its an AMAZING game, I recommend everyone to buy it especially if you like open world/action games
  62. Nov 18, 2011
    for people who say red dead redemption is gta with a horse well you are wrong.it is way more than that.the environment is beautiful.will play it about 56 hours if you do the side missions.
  63. Nov 5, 2011
    Late to review I know, better late than never! I'm not really into the old Wild West theme - usually! But I made an exception for this game. Its game play is good and its certainly entertaining. Good game!
  64. Dec 6, 2011
    One of the best games ever made. I suspect it will be a very long time before I am honored to play a game as good as this in the future. It's the best open world game I have ever played. The graphics are top notch. The voice acting really is exceptional and pulls you into the story. The sound is great. from the muffled sounds of your horses hooves to the crisp sounds of western gunOne of the best games ever made. I suspect it will be a very long time before I am honored to play a game as good as this in the future. It's the best open world game I have ever played. The graphics are top notch. The voice acting really is exceptional and pulls you into the story. The sound is great. from the muffled sounds of your horses hooves to the crisp sounds of western gun shooters. You really start to have feelings for the main character. The horses in this game are absolutely beautiful, and realistic. There are plenty of mini games in this open world gem including; poker, horse shoes, arm wrestling, finger knife, black jack, and liars dice. Expand
  65. Nov 7, 2011
    This game is incredible. Interaction with the old west has never been better. Great graphics, realistic areas, unique gameplay, and just the right difficulty. This is the best western game ever created.
  66. Sep 11, 2012
    Not a western fan? I wasn't. Red Dead Redemption got under my skin. Now, I enjoy Johnny Cash, can watch an old Huston or Peckinpah movie and Deadwood, and so on. I get it. John Marston, the main character, is a man that endears himself to many of the people in the game and out of it as well (as you may have found out reading other reviewers). Part of the credit goes to the master voiceNot a western fan? I wasn't. Red Dead Redemption got under my skin. Now, I enjoy Johnny Cash, can watch an old Huston or Peckinpah movie and Deadwood, and so on. I get it. John Marston, the main character, is a man that endears himself to many of the people in the game and out of it as well (as you may have found out reading other reviewers). Part of the credit goes to the master voice work by the actor, part goes to the engaging story line. The gameplay is challenging without becoming annoying. Not normally a fan of console controls compared to pc gaming, but RDR has dynamics that compensate for the less than ideal aiming of a PS3 controller. The environment is beautifully rendered through the graphics, sound effects, and music that make the world a pleasure to live out a legend in. You can marvel at just going to the menu and seeing the freeze frame create a beautiful tableau. RDR has pacing that can be at times exciting and other times relaxing, encouraging the player to take time enjoying the wildlife (even while hunting it). I loved it and will likely replay it just to experience it all again. Expand
  67. Nov 14, 2011
    1 WORD 'MINDBLOWING' thats what you would call the rockstar masterpiece "Red Dead Redemption'
    Remember those spaghetti western movies? Combine all the beautiful moments of those movies in one box(now u have some idea of what waiting for u in red dead redemption).Let me list few words that are the very strength of the game :Great main story ,Fantastic orchestral score,Memorable characters and AMAZING GRAPHICS with incredible amount of detail added to each and everything u see in the game.And you know ROCKSTAR NORTH are the only masters of SANDBOX and again outdid themselves in RDR.If you are a fan of western Cowboy thingy then you sure to HUG RED DEAD REDEMPTION with open arms.......well done rockstar a solid 10/10
  68. Nov 18, 2011
    If you actually like to play games in general, you have to have this game!!!!!!!! The best story, ending, atmosphere, soundtrack, characters, location, amazing graphics, tonnes of replay ability and not to mention the amazing multiplayer, this is the best game ever made, 100000000000000/10 if I could!!!
  69. Feb 8, 2012
    If you go into this game expecting GTA V then you'll be sadly disappointed. THIS IS NOT GTA, OR BASED IN THE GTA UNIVERSE. Some people jump into the game and start shooting everything then getting the sheriffs on them, then die, then repeat until it gets boring instead of follow the story. And what a story it is, its kind of split into three sections: wild west america, mexico and thenIf you go into this game expecting GTA V then you'll be sadly disappointed. THIS IS NOT GTA, OR BASED IN THE GTA UNIVERSE. Some people jump into the game and start shooting everything then getting the sheriffs on them, then die, then repeat until it gets boring instead of follow the story. And what a story it is, its kind of split into three sections: wild west america, mexico and then modern mountainous america (all one map) Its basicallyy a trilogy. However the mexican part of the game bored me a bit and whilst having it's good moments you inevitably compare it the the first "film" which is the best. Theres a huge cast in the game which creates some memorable characters indivual to each section however there is some crossovers which are nice to see. The storys great and so is the gameplay which plays like a third person cover based shooter, and with the ability use every gun in the game (after you buy, get given or find them) means you can constantly adapt. Dead eye (slows down time and allows you to target partes of the body) works well and its impresive that if you shoot someone in the leg they react to it and can literally be brought to their knees. The single player can last a while with quite a few side missions which are more like side storys which add to the overall length and imersion. then theres the multiplayer which is on par with the single, everything you do helps you level up and the free roam is full of mini missions you and your posse can do, there are also a string of competitive games to play which work well and are good fun and never seem to get old so like me you can pour hours and hours into the online without it feeling repetitive or boring. There are a few glitches but they don't ruining the experience and the graphics which aren't mind blowing still look good and are enough to keep you imersed. I feel I should talk about the lighting which is spectacular and very realistic, everyting has a shadow and the game looks amazing when theres lightning happening. Everyone needs this game its so deep and John Marston is one of the best game characters rockstar could have chosen to play lead man, his voice acting is top notch and you really beging to care about him and his struggles. Its simply the best game ever and deserves everyones attention. Expand
  70. Dec 21, 2011
    I think it is the best PS3 game I ever played. The only bad thing I found is that the beginning and the ending are boring compared to the action of the middle of the game. But this is a really good game, with an excellent soundtrack, an excellent scenario, an excellent gameplay, an excellent map, sublime landscapes, long life expectancy (+ multiplayer).
  71. Dec 23, 2011
    It's kind of funny; after checking out a few of my favorite games on this site I was compelled to create an account in order to write positive reviews about them. This game won numerous game of the year awards, and was honestly the best game from Rockstar I've played since San Andreas. Yet somehow there are folks that actually gave this a negative rating. I'm not sure how this isIt's kind of funny; after checking out a few of my favorite games on this site I was compelled to create an account in order to write positive reviews about them. This game won numerous game of the year awards, and was honestly the best game from Rockstar I've played since San Andreas. Yet somehow there are folks that actually gave this a negative rating. I'm not sure how this is possible.

When I first purchased this game I was not looking forward to it very much. I thought "Gee, this is going to be Grand Theft Horse, oh well, hope its fun". I'm not a fan of westerns, as that genre doesn't really interest me much. However this game won me over 100%. The gameplay is quite compelling, the main storyline is compelling in the way a good novel, or great movie is compelling. I personally put in a lot of late nights finishing portions of the content just to see what happened next. I was so enthralled by the game that, immediately after completing it, I started a new game over again. As I mentioned before this won numerous game of the year awards for 2010 and all of them were well deserved. I personally can't wait for the rumored sequel.
  72. Jan 2, 2012
    This game is the best western Cowboy game available personally and It has fairly good graphics and very fun Missions it really gives you the effect of a western cowboy and his adventure to redeem his old life
  73. Jan 1, 2012
    The best game RockStar has ever made in my opinion, yes, even better than GTA. Much lasting appeal, some of the best graphics around, good sounds and awesome gameplay (even riding a horse around is fun).
    An incredible campaign is joined by a solid multiplayer experience. A Western game can't get any better than this. 10/10
  74. Feb 29, 2012
    Wow. I have played some amazing games with great gameplay, story and a fantastic universe, but I have never played a game as good as this. I only picked this up at the start of this year, and I really regret waiting so long to do so. Red Dead Redemption is Rockstar's masterpiece. It blends a fantastic story, great gameplay and an incredibly immersive, gorgeous world that really feels likeWow. I have played some amazing games with great gameplay, story and a fantastic universe, but I have never played a game as good as this. I only picked this up at the start of this year, and I really regret waiting so long to do so. Red Dead Redemption is Rockstar's masterpiece. It blends a fantastic story, great gameplay and an incredibly immersive, gorgeous world that really feels like a living world. I'll start by talking about the graphics. The graphics are absolutely breath-taking. Two years after its release and Red Dead is still one of the best looking games I have ever played. The wild west looks fantastic and diverse and has a gigantic scope. I have never really been compelled to explore any open world games- GTA4 didn't really have an interesting world, in Skyrim I just spammed the fast travel and in many other open world games I just only focused on the story. However in Red Dead Redemption the world is so beautiful that simply riding my horse around the Wild West is enough to keep me incredibly entertained. Now I will talk about the story. The story seems like a simple western but it is still fantastic. It is the story of a man called John Marston. At the beginning John gets shot and left to die by former gang mate Bill Williamson. He is taken in by a woman named Bonnie MacFarlane who tends to his wounds and lets him stay at her ranch. Marston then goes on a journey to try and find Bill Williamson and kill him before he kills his family. It's an interesting story filled with some whacky, interesting and compelling characters. There wasn't a single character (with the exception of Nigel West Dickens) who annoyed me. The gameplay was just fantastic. The main weapons I used were a rifle, shotgun, knife, pistol and a lasso. All of them look good and feel powerful, because every bullet of a gun that hits an enemy, every victim you throw your lasso at reacts well and realistically, a shot to the leg won't necessarily kill, whereas a shot to the chest or head can kill instantly. The horse riding is a bit wonky at first, however you get used to it after a while and you wouldn't have the horse riding controls any other way. There are a lot of activities to do in Red Dead. From cattle herding, horse breaking, assaulting gang hideouts, playing poker, liar's dice and blackjack, hunting and more. There are also treasures to find and a lot of cool costumes to unlock, with the Mexican poncho being the highlight of all the costumes. There are just so many things to do in the massive world of Red Dead Redemption and you'll never feel bored of what you are doing. The bottom line is that Red Dead Redemption is an absolute masterpiece. It blends a fantastic open world, a great story, fantastic gameplay and charming characters. Red Dead Redemption is single handedly the best game I have ever played. Rockstar are simply the master game creators, and I cannot wait to see what is next for the Read Dead series. You absolutely have to buy this game, your money will be well spent and you will enjoy it for hours, even if you aren't a fan of western movies. Expand
  75. Aug 19, 2012
    Probably one of my favorite games of all time!! This is truly an amazing adventure. The plot is compelling and unforgettable, the combat is fun, the land is vast and gorgeous, and the music perfectly fits the atmosphere of the game. Other than a few glitch moments here and there, this is one of the best games of this generation!!
  76. Feb 29, 2012
    red dead redemption is easily one of the best games ever created. It's definitely in my personal top 5 games I've ever played: really good and immersive story, great controls, great graphics and environment and long singleplayer!
  77. Mar 2, 2012
    Red Dead Redemption is one of those games that suck you in for weeks.
    Red Dead Redemption is one of those games that suck you in for weeks.
    When I first started the game I didn't like the controls and I thought that the main character is not very cool.After 3 hours,when finally got used to controls, I just couldn't stop playing.Most amazing thing in this game is that you never get bored.There are tons of things to do in single player,like hunting all the animals,doing different side quests and so on.During the story missions,even when you are just riding to some destination for a long time,you still don't get bored,because of the super interesting dialogues between characters.This game is a smash hit,you miss so much if you don't play it.
  78. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Red Dead is a masterpeice, plain and simple. The story is breathtaking and will leave you wanting more, yet being satisfied. The free roam is fun and has the added joy of joining a posse with friends and fighting other gangs. The story is extremely long and occasionally slow, but in the end it will suck you in and not let go. Fokes leave your computer and buy this game immediately!!! Expand
  79. Apr 4, 2012
    This game blows all the GTA games to water .The wild west version with an nice storyline amazing missons and has a lot to offer .the multiplayer is dissapointing but other than that it is a fanstastic game
  80. Apr 6, 2012
    This game is perfect. Absolutely perfect. The visuals are stunning and are never boring to look at. The gameplay is fun, meaty and feels right, every gun feels powerful and sounds perfect, the rag doll physics are the best I've seen in the game. The story is good enough to make you care and forget about how much time you've played. The world is filled with mini games, side quests, randomThis game is perfect. Absolutely perfect. The visuals are stunning and are never boring to look at. The gameplay is fun, meaty and feels right, every gun feels powerful and sounds perfect, the rag doll physics are the best I've seen in the game. The story is good enough to make you care and forget about how much time you've played. The world is filled with mini games, side quests, random encounters, gang hideouts, hunting, it feels alive. I would recommend this game to anyone, hardcore to casual, and that's why it deserves a 10/10. Expand
  81. Jun 10, 2012
    Rockstar just hit the right spot with Read Dead Redemption.
    Rockstar just hit the right spot with Read Dead Redemption.
    At the same time it's easy to explain, it's hard. The easy part's that RDR is very much like GTA, except by the fact it's Western themed. The hard part's that, besides the similarity of the genre, RDR has some artistic touch that GTA doesn't. The dialogues, the picking of the words and the conversation itself were mastered, in this game. It's really hilarious sometimes, as as well dramatic and deep other times. Plus, the voice acting is perfect, just how every game should be (in special, the voice of John Marston, the protagonist, is badass and awesome as hell). Story-wise, RDR has a decent story. It's not the best story out there, but it really gets the job done. The details in the world around helps to build an atmosphere that truly makes you feel as if you're in a Western world.
    The graphics are amazing. The world is beatiful. It's wonderful to literally ride to the sunset, or at dawn. The character models are not the best in the market. In one hand, facial animations are a bit poor, but nothing too much terrible to complain; in other, the body animations are very good and make the game look good.
    The gameplay is easy to get: point the dot and shoot. The good stuff here lies in the dead eye system. You can slow time and mark the targets you wanna shoot. When you press the trigger, everything you marked goes to the ground. It makes you look like a **** badass cowboy. The gun duels are amusing, too. But be advised: you can lose many hours in the game just playing card games, such as blackjack or poker. There are also games such liar's dice and horseshoes, In the end, all of them are pretty fun. RDR features side quests and outfits-hunting for the most adventurous players.
    Red Dead Redemption is an epic Western game that will suck you in with the roughness and glory of a rich world, fun gameplay and good story. It's just Rockstar being awesome again.
  82. Aug 8, 2012
    Now this is a true masterpiece by Rockstar. This is the best game of its year, and people are gonna remember this game for decades. Where else you can relive the Wild West?

Red Dead Redemption has everything a gamer can ask: story, graphics, gameplay, sound and it never grow old.
  83. May 18, 2012
    this game was a masterpiece. from beginning to end, I loved every second of it. I loved that you actually had to hunt, the characters, the story line, side missions, everything basically. I feel this game is a must buy, because it is so diverse and entertaining. I want RDR 2!
  84. Jun 8, 2012
    An awesome game, with an amazing storyline one of my favourite games, with a massive open world and brilliant scenery, the storyline of this game is enthralling and would make any player who enjoys open world games want to play the whole thing through. This is another well designed game by Rockstar, also the ending has a twist to most games.
    even if people find the controls of the game
    even if people find the controls of the game hard to use, or find other part of the game annoying it definitely makes up for this with the graphics and storyline. An important game for any gamer to play.
  85. Jun 15, 2012
    Turned off by the whole western theme, I was reluctant to pick this game up. Now I admit that this is by far one of the best games I have played in decades. Solid game play, but the story and well developed characters make this one of the best. The writing and voice acting would put most highly acclaimed movies to shame. Play it through to the end and the ending will blow you away.
  86. Oct 4, 2012
    Red Dead Redemption is Rockstar's greatest achievement. No open world game matches the epic scale, storytelling, and environments packed into the game. This is the best Western to grace a gaming system and is certainly worth your time. There is much bang for your buck here.
  87. Dec 6, 2012
    I don't give it a 10 just because it's not perfect and I would never grade it above MGS but it sure is one of the best games out there, sometimes it does seems boring but it's the Old West what did you expect there weren't many things to do at the time!! but all the mini games and all the missions are so cool, every hour spend on this game it was fun. How about killing a wild beast pealingI don't give it a 10 just because it's not perfect and I would never grade it above MGS but it sure is one of the best games out there, sometimes it does seems boring but it's the Old West what did you expect there weren't many things to do at the time!! but all the mini games and all the missions are so cool, every hour spend on this game it was fun. How about killing a wild beast pealing their skin and sell it at the store!!! how cool is that!! This is A MUST on your PS3 games collection. Expand
  88. Jan 20, 2014
    Great game that is all i have to say with great graphics, amazing atmosphere and open world so why i only give it a 7/10 you may ask? Well, i found that the begining missions with bonnie and the late missions with johns family were realy dull and got me realy bored but the rest were all exciting and fantastic and i would have enjoyed the ending a bit more if my stupid friends didnt spoilGreat game that is all i have to say with great graphics, amazing atmosphere and open world so why i only give it a 7/10 you may ask? Well, i found that the begining missions with bonnie and the late missions with johns family were realy dull and got me realy bored but the rest were all exciting and fantastic and i would have enjoyed the ending a bit more if my stupid friends didnt spoil it for me but i still realy enjoyed the single player to the point of actually getting 100%. Now the multiplayer was realy fun even when you are playing alone. I mean there is just so much that you can do that it is realy addicting but sadly the community is realy little nowadays and there are loads of hackers that steal your fun. If it wasnt for the online comunity this game would be an easy 10/10 especially with undead nightmare but if just want to beat the campaign then WTF are you doing. Expand
  89. Apr 16, 2012
    Red Dead Redemption is a game that gets everything right: The script, the acting, the atmosphere, the game mechanics and most importantly the emotional connection. There have been few games that have moved me quite like RDR. It's ending is a masterstroke of subtlety, which is something you rarely see from gaming. If you play the game as it was intended (like a hero and not a GTAIV thug),Red Dead Redemption is a game that gets everything right: The script, the acting, the atmosphere, the game mechanics and most importantly the emotional connection. There have been few games that have moved me quite like RDR. It's ending is a masterstroke of subtlety, which is something you rarely see from gaming. If you play the game as it was intended (like a hero and not a GTAIV thug), it has a contemplative, lilting tone that stays with you long after the credits have rolled. Red Dead Redemption is a true adult gaming classic; mature, well written and with a huge heart. Basically speaking, it's one of the best games that I've ever played. Expand
  90. Jan 7, 2012
    A true masterpiece. Everything from the story to the soundtrack is just incredible. There is so much content to indulge in and you can spend countless hours just exploring the beautiful landscapes. The multiplayer is a blast and is surprisingly deep. The gameplay is as smooth as ever and Rockstar's Engine truly shines. All of the downloadable content is great as well and shouldn't be missed.
  91. May 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Much, much better than GTA 4. Before anybody bashes me with this phrase, hear me out - it is simply a better game, it has that class and charm that I feel was lost after the GTA games on PS2. The graphics are very clean, the landscapes are fantastic (particularly at sunrise/sunset), a part of you feels like you're back in a classic Spaghetti Western when you play this, it's very authentic looking. The controls don't have a steep learning curve, the music is well done, even though I think this was the game's main weakness (I would have brought in Ennio Morricone for it), the characters are full of life (and if you have friends similar to Irish, it makes it all the more amusing), the side missions are mixed in difficulty and can happen anytime you're out on your horse or for a walk. Pure and simply, if you're interested in American History, Movies about the wild west, Graphic Novels about the wild west, dressing up like a Cowboy to a rodeo show, playing the hero or the antagonist, travelling around the south western USA and mexico, and have a 360 or PS3 available - this is a game that deserves a good look! Collapse Expand
  92. Apr 27, 2011
    9.5/10 = Incredible = Despite a few bugs this game is seriously great!! Great world, great atmosphere.
  93. Aug 14, 2010
    Red Dead Redemption is an amazing game, but one can't help but notice that Rockstar is "copy-pasting" the GTA template too much on its games. I mean, seriously, you guys have too much talent to re-hash your previous work. Anyways, despite that, the game has great visuals (slight de-grade on texture resolution), an enganging story, and a very good multiplayer component. I would like toRed Dead Redemption is an amazing game, but one can't help but notice that Rockstar is "copy-pasting" the GTA template too much on its games. I mean, seriously, you guys have too much talent to re-hash your previous work. Anyways, despite that, the game has great visuals (slight de-grade on texture resolution), an enganging story, and a very good multiplayer component. I would like to point out that RDR's characters are too stereotyped and the twist and turns of the story are predictable, especially when it comes to the ending. But, everything else is spot-on and amazing, most notably the world itself, the combat, and the controls. I loved RDR and I recommend it to anyone who loved Westerns or GTA, for that matter. If you hate either of those two things, then RDR is not for you. A 9.8/10. Expand
  94. Aug 14, 2010
    What can i say, apart from, this game is just epic. When i played through the single player story missions, i could never keep on track for long, thanks to all the random side quests popping up, which distract you from the main missions. The old west is brought to life again in this frankly, epic game. The story mission is suitably long, although the ending is questionable on how good itWhat can i say, apart from, this game is just epic. When i played through the single player story missions, i could never keep on track for long, thanks to all the random side quests popping up, which distract you from the main missions. The old west is brought to life again in this frankly, epic game. The story mission is suitably long, although the ending is questionable on how good it is, the main single player campaign is very good. The only problems seen with the single player is the fact the game is quite glitched, and during a 6 hour bashing session of this game, there were around 1 glitch/ freeze per hour, which is bearable, however very frustrating when you're in the middle of a mission and end up restarting the ps3. This is the reason that the game, personally for me, is just kept off the 10/10 mark. Moving onto the multi player, the multi player is deep, and keeps you occupied well after the single player is completed, the attraction of getting better horses and guns keeps you interested, as well as the endless activities and things for you to do. This game is especially good when you have a few mates to make havoc with. Overall then, this game is a brilliant buy, i would definitely recommend it, as in my mind it is way above the quality of GTA 4, thanks to the endless tasks to complete, and the knowledge that the open plains on the map are always full of life gives a warm feeling to the game. I definitely recommend, it's an excellent buy! Expand
  95. Aug 21, 2010
    Perhaps the greatest sandbox game of all time. It's unlike Grand Theft Auto, as there's still so much to do after getting 100% completion. The graphics are incredible, and the soundtrack is amazing, too. The storyline is involving, but there's so much to do in the huge open world game that it may seem to get in the way.

A fantastic game, my choice for Game of the Year 2010.
  96. Aug 25, 2010
    Fantastic game with almost endless playability if you like the online. There are a few noticeable bad points to the game with prevent it from being a 10. Most notability the glitches which can be frustrating at times, also the multiplayer doesn't feel incredibly fun to play and competitive multiplayer can be quite boring. Although the game is redeemed with it's excellent story and the bestFantastic game with almost endless playability if you like the online. There are a few noticeable bad points to the game with prevent it from being a 10. Most notability the glitches which can be frustrating at times, also the multiplayer doesn't feel incredibly fun to play and competitive multiplayer can be quite boring. Although the game is redeemed with it's excellent story and the best 'open world' graphics a game has offered us yet. It certainly isn't for everyone, the first hour or so amounts to nothing more than cattle herding. But the rest of the game is very solid and although the pace never becomes 'intense', it does get quite brilliant towards the end. Finally, the world which the game is set is far more memorable and realistic than Liberty City of GTA IV. Unlike the crowded, drab world of GTA IV, (which was far from bad in itself), Red Dead manages a small collection of easily identifiable towns that have far more charm in them than Liberty City. Overall, It's not outright better than GTA IV, but certainly does Rockstar proud with a 'Game of the year' contender. Expand
  97. Sep 27, 2010
    I give this game a 10 out of 10 but I wish I can give it more. The game was a mixture of class, amazing graphics, perpetually interesting gameplay, and a great storyline.
  98. Oct 4, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I find this is better then Grand theft auto 4 on multiply fronts. For starters the environment is stunning and you will have to ride from town to town with the risk of wild animals attacking you giving a realistic edge to the game. Next there is more to do besides just missions, you can help random people who come up to you for help, you and also hunt for wanted people for a small payment, you can gamble as well with the risk of loosing money or you can completed challenges to improve your fame and honour levels which has many improvements. More fame means more people want help from you which rewards you with money. More honour means bigger discounts at stores and more pay from jobs. One favourite of mine is that you can shoot out both legs of your enemy stopping them from moving then pull out your lasso and tie them up. Now last but not least dead eye, you slow down time to get a better lock on your enemy. Still there are many things to discover if you bye the game, Expand
  99. Oct 31, 2010
    i love this game and i still continue to play it now... the graphics are amazing the story is great and the world is just alive... yes this game is better than gta because rockstar have taken the GTA formula and then made it better... no its not GTA on a horse its like a simulator of wat life was like as a cowboy....essential buy it now...
  100. Nov 10, 2010
    I took the Madame of Thieves' Landing, hogtied her to train tracks then sat back and watched in sadistic glory as the train roared on by and a little pop-up in the corner of my screen alerted me that I received the "Dastardly" trophy (I swear I felt somewhat bad). How can you not give this game at 10 out of 10.

Great soundtrack too, by the way.
  101. Nov 11, 2010
    Having played all the GTA series I was anxious to get this game. It is a truly absorbing and atmospheric game , expansive and enthralling. However one can't help feeling that because GTA exists it never fully feels 'new' and because of that the impact is lost a little. If you have never really played GTA go for this straight off, you wont be dissappointed. Even if you have GTA I wouldHaving played all the GTA series I was anxious to get this game. It is a truly absorbing and atmospheric game , expansive and enthralling. However one can't help feeling that because GTA exists it never fully feels 'new' and because of that the impact is lost a little. If you have never really played GTA go for this straight off, you wont be dissappointed. Even if you have GTA I would recommend. Its a superb game. The game is worth playing just for the wow factor of looking at the views and listening to the wildlife. Id put it close to GTA but not quite a GTA 4 beater. Collapse

1. The game perfectly captures the expansiveness of frontier life and the gritty gunplay of spaghetti westerns, rightfully earning its place alongside the great Western films and the best Rockstar games. [Issue#206, p.86]
  2. Rockstar's skill in creating a believable, functioning world with a distinct, coherent and consistent atmosphere is peerless. The broad-brush vision is masterful.
  3. Red Dead Redemption is a masterpiece. This game is the perfect example of how a developer should work to create the best atmosphere and to represent a beautiful historical situation. The graphics, the gameplay elements and everything else is at top level. Buy Red Dead Redemption, now!