8.9

1. Apr 26, 2011
    A brilliant narrative that plays with the players perspective, and sheds the wild west in a new light. It is proof that videogames are indeed art. Unfortunately it's not actually fun to play, with some of the most tedious mechanics in modern gaming. The section in mexico was especially a chore, with it's frequent backtracking. At the end there is a great annoyance as well, as aA brilliant narrative that plays with the players perspective, and sheds the wild west in a new light. It is proof that videogames are indeed art. Unfortunately it's not actually fun to play, with some of the most tedious mechanics in modern gaming. The section in mexico was especially a chore, with it's frequent backtracking. At the end there is a great annoyance as well, as a completely achievable obstacle assumes and forces the player's defeat. Expand
  2. Sep 1, 2011
    Loved the idea of being a cowboy, until I played this game, now I am happy I only had to be a cowboy for a bit. While its not bad, this game wasn't good either. Felt like most of my time was spent staring at the butt of a horse and a story that just kept on going. Even when I thought the story was done it jumped a few years forward, but it was a different character and felt really "meh".
  3. Aug 9, 2013
    Better late than never.

Better late than never.

RDR is a fine game plagued by some annoying design decisions: the controls are absolutely dreadful, and the fast travel save system is cumbersome and annoying. The story, however, is entertaining, most of the time, if you don't take it seriously. Some of the characters, while cliché, are humorous and endearing, which helps pass the time when traveling on horseback from mission to mission. The latter part of the story was one of the most amazing gaming experiences I have ever had.

Where the game really shines, however, is in the atmosphere. The graphics, sound, animations and features such as cattle-herding, horse-breaking, skinning and hunting, etc., really get you immersed in the game world. It's a shame they are not really meaningful to the development of your character, or I'd have given this game a 10.
  4. Mar 11, 2012
    I expected this game to be much better. When I first played the game, i didnt like it at all, but now that i am giving it a second chance its actually a good game.Multiplayer is fun when you play with groups and most DLC are free.The campaign mode feels repetitive sometimes but gets better when you go further into the story.
  5. May 8, 2012
    I will admit the game had its appealing moments the first time I played it.. But all it is, is Grand Theft Pony. Like all of rockstars games it's all the same as GTA with different themes.
  6. May 26, 2012
    This game has an amazing soundtrack, great voice acting and an open world that feels real and alive. The story just isn't what people say it is, however. The game will do the fatal mistake of referencing things that happened "off-camera" a number of times instead of actually showing us. That is universally known in the film and book worlds as a way of cheaply avoiding to write more stuff.This game has an amazing soundtrack, great voice acting and an open world that feels real and alive. The story just isn't what people say it is, however. The game will do the fatal mistake of referencing things that happened "off-camera" a number of times instead of actually showing us. That is universally known in the film and book worlds as a way of cheaply avoiding to write more stuff. The parts with John's old crew come to mind here. The antagonists in this game (save for the two cops) aren't fleshed out at all, they game tells you why you should hate them in dialogue lines but doesn't actually show them doing anything bad on screen. I don't get why this game's story gets such high praise. Expand
  7. Mar 16, 2013
    This fantastic game with deep storyline played more with my emotions that any other game I remember. It's masterpiece with great graphics, very good control mechanics and absolutely brilliant game-play and story. It's not just GTA in Wild West. It's living world you will be sucked into.
  8. Nov 18, 2015
    To this day, there has been no other ps3 games in my library that has aged as well as Red Dead Redemption.
    This is a prime example of an excellent video game. Everything is alive in the game npc's, nature, wildlife and the storyline that grabs you in and takes you through a satisfying wild west experience.
    If you haven't played this game, it is a must buy. It deserves to be played and

If you haven't played this game, it is a must buy. It deserves to be played and cherished by every player.
  9. Oct 26, 2012
    I might get myself into a storm of hate, but I really didn't appreciate this game as much as everyone else seems to do. Some aspects are really cozy, and I can remember hours of hunting game in tall grass in the evening sun, but other than that, its just a long transportation to a big finale. The game is as best in the very beginning of the game and in the end, leaving a huge gap in theI might get myself into a storm of hate, but I really didn't appreciate this game as much as everyone else seems to do. Some aspects are really cozy, and I can remember hours of hunting game in tall grass in the evening sun, but other than that, its just a long transportation to a big finale. The game is as best in the very beginning of the game and in the end, leaving a huge gap in the middle where things just turns boring for me. Expand
  10. Jan 6, 2013
    This is one of the best games I have ever played. There are a few visual hiccups here and there, but that, for me, was easy to overlook when the gameplay is so solid, the landscape is so beautiful, and the story is that good. I'm not much of an "online multiplayer" guy, but even that was pretty fun. Seriously, play this game!
  11. May 3, 2013
    If I had to describe Red Dead Redemption in one word, it would be Masterpiece. I'll keep this short, my favourite game with amazing story, graphics, gameplay, side missions, hell everything!
  12. Mar 12, 2013
    If you want open world game with great western adventures, cool multiplayer, great graphics and .e.t.c. Then you should get this amazing game without no doubt!
  13. May 9, 2013
    This is the best game that i have ever played! Period! Red Dead Redemption nails absolutely everything! Everything about this game is absolutely epic: from the amazing story, the awesome characters, the spectacular graphics and atmosphere, all the way to an outstanding multiplayer and co-op modes! Red Dead Redemption will most likely continue to be the best game i've ever played all theThis is the best game that i have ever played! Period! Red Dead Redemption nails absolutely everything! Everything about this game is absolutely epic: from the amazing story, the awesome characters, the spectacular graphics and atmosphere, all the way to an outstanding multiplayer and co-op modes! Red Dead Redemption will most likely continue to be the best game i've ever played all the way up until the next Red Dead game! Expand
  14. Apr 1, 2013
    THE GOOD STUFF:
    - Rich, engaging script and narrative that makes you want to keep playing until the end.
    - Well-written and believable characters. - Stunning graphics, which leads to gorgeous vistas and landscapes. - Fun and rewarding gameplay, both offline and on. - You actually feel like a cowboy. LESS OF THESE PLEASE - Nothing of note. Seriously. If you haven't played this,
    THE GOOD STUFF:
    - Well-written and believable characters.
    - Stunning graphics, which leads to gorgeous vistas and landscapes.
    - Fun and rewarding gameplay, both offline and on.
    - You actually feel like a cowboy.

LESS OF THESE PLEASE
    - Nothing of note. Seriously. If you haven't played this, then what the hell are you doing reading this. Go out and buy this game immediately.
  15. Apr 7, 2013
    Red Dead Redemption is number 3 on my favorite games of all times list. This game is utterly perfect I cannot think of anything I could possibly change to improve this game. The story is the most interesting and enthralling I have yet to play in a game every character John Martston (who has become my favorite video game character of all time) are interesting and or hilarious. The gun playRed Dead Redemption is number 3 on my favorite games of all times list. This game is utterly perfect I cannot think of anything I could possibly change to improve this game. The story is the most interesting and enthralling I have yet to play in a game every character John Martston (who has become my favorite video game character of all time) are interesting and or hilarious. The gun play is unbelievably fun and bad-ass. The horse riding is perfect I know its a little rough but that's exactly how riding a horse is. The side quests are varied and interesting. The costume quests are addicting and rewarding since every costume is awesome. The graphics are jaw dropping. The voice acting is perfect. The weapons are varied. Multiplayer is awesome. The ending is possibly the greatest in video game history. There is at least 30 hours of game play in this game so it is worth the price.I cannot recommend this game enough it is a milestone and and must be played. Expand
  16. Apr 16, 2013
    I first bought Red Dead Redemption not longer after it was originally released. I played the first chapter, which sets up John Marston's character, but then I forgot to keep playing it and only got going again about 6 months later. What a mistake I made! Once I got playing again, I fell in love with everything about this game, the story, the setting, the music, gameplay, the lot....itI first bought Red Dead Redemption not longer after it was originally released. I played the first chapter, which sets up John Marston's character, but then I forgot to keep playing it and only got going again about 6 months later. What a mistake I made! Once I got playing again, I fell in love with everything about this game, the story, the setting, the music, gameplay, the lot....it pulls you in and you don't want to let go of the controller. RDR is an open world RPG/action game, following the story of a betrayed outlaw, John Marston. He sets off in search of those who screwed him over, as well as trying to find the whereabouts of his wife and son. All this taking place against the backdrop of the mystical American Frontier. If you follow only the main storyline, you would be looking at a good 20-30 hours of gameplay, and easily double that if you want to finish all the other side missions of the single player campaign...even then I think I had only achieved 50% of all the available trophies. The graphics are superb and really capture the magic of the American west and Mexican frontier, something which I am always fond of in movies. The music too really helps capture the atmosphere and the Jose Gonzalez song in particular, which plays at a specific point in the game, tops it off. When I finished the single player campaign in full, I really felt saddened by having that part of it end. Another reviewer mentioned this as being better than GTA 4 I agree, without doubt. So, while it does chew up so big gameplay hours, this is a must play console game. Expand
  17. Apr 23, 2013
    This is the best game I have ever played. It is much better than GTA IV. The story line is great, characters are awesome and the missions are really cool. This game also has amazing graphics.
  18. Apr 25, 2013
    Red Dead Redemption is the best game I ever played so far because of its amzing story, gameplay, character, voice acting, side mission, minigames like poker and that sort of things and its world which is a varied world full of beautifull scenarios and to make even better a kickass multiplayer full of competitive modes and a free roam multiplayer which serves for your "lobby" where you canRed Dead Redemption is the best game I ever played so far because of its amzing story, gameplay, character, voice acting, side mission, minigames like poker and that sort of things and its world which is a varied world full of beautifull scenarios and to make even better a kickass multiplayer full of competitive modes and a free roam multiplayer which serves for your "lobby" where you can team up with friends kill everybody while you try to join or create a game. This game just blows my mind in every single way.
    I suggest you buy right now and start the shooting cowboys because this the game of the year.
  19. Jun 1, 2013
    Red Dead Redemption's main story, the overall game play and quality of the characters are top notch. All the characters in the game are unique and deliver that sarcastic dark humor that existed in the GTA4 world. The game can be faulted on its outdated graphics, the time it takes to travel to and from a location and the constant mission retries to get the highest rating for the maximumRed Dead Redemption's main story, the overall game play and quality of the characters are top notch. All the characters in the game are unique and deliver that sarcastic dark humor that existed in the GTA4 world. The game can be faulted on its outdated graphics, the time it takes to travel to and from a location and the constant mission retries to get the highest rating for the maximum fame. The multi-player aspect of the game is entertaining with a number of game modes available to play with. Leveling up is a grind and with many legacy levels out there the player will lose interest quite quickly. There are a few online trophies that are difficult and very frustrating. Overall an enjoyable experience. Expand
  20. Sep 25, 2013
    Pros
    1. Huge world that makes you feel like you're in the wild west.
    2. Excellent storyline and voice acting 3. Graphics off in the distance are excellent the changing weather against the landscape brings the world alive. Negative 1. I don't see the point in all the weapons when they are barely needed as they all do the same thing and none of the missions are challenging enough
    Pros
    1. Huge world that makes you feel like you're in the wild west.
    2. Excellent storyline and voice acting

Negative
    1. I don't see the point in all the weapons when they are barely needed as they all do the same thing and none of the missions are challenging enough to make you feel like a need to swap through them much.
    2. The missions are repetitive and many can be very boring

Overall a very good game, but don't believe the hype. It's good, but no more than that.
  21. Oct 15, 2013
    Beautiful, exciting and a game that keeps you going for hours and hours. Sadly quite buggy when it first came out, something that snapped you back to reality in no-time from the otherwise great immersion.
  22. Dec 31, 2013
    I'll start with the things you (like me) probably won't like. There's a lot of repetition, the animation sequences for picking up ammo, flowers and skinning animals will grind, especially since you might be doing it as many as ten times in a row. The constant tapping of X to run and to drive the horse will at first be irritating, though you will get used to it so as you don't noticeI'll start with the things you (like me) probably won't like. There's a lot of repetition, the animation sequences for picking up ammo, flowers and skinning animals will grind, especially since you might be doing it as many as ten times in a row. The constant tapping of X to run and to drive the horse will at first be irritating, though you will get used to it so as you don't notice you're even doing it. You will get tired of being poor and of being told there are new items at the gun store only to find it's just ammo you got from corpses anyhow. You probably won't really start to enjoy the game until quite far in actually. There isn't a lot to do in the world besides hunt so you better learn to enjoy the slow pace and atmosphere of the game, something it really does well I think. I'm sure so far this is putting you off the game, but hold your horses and read on.

Tips: When you're on a cart with some other character don't skip it, those conversations really help build the story, which isn't delivered in an in-your-face sort of way.

This game felt to me like one of those books that you force yourself to read, all the while wondering why you're bothering yet stubbornly you push on with that 'I've started so I'll finish' mentality and by the time you finish it you sit in stunned silence realising that this book is the greatest book you've ever read. In a similar fashion I had to wait a couple of days before I could bring myself to play another game, I had to have time to process it all. It was more than just a game, it was an experience!

As for Undead Nightmare there's only a couple of problems: The button press icon to pick ammo up from corpses doesn't show up reliably. There could be more story cut-scenes. Since it's basically just fun DLC though it's amazingly full featured. The need to conserve ammo and actually run away from the undead coupled with the fact that even when you're armed to the teeth later on you can still die surprisingly easily will keep you on your toes, which is exactly what you want in a zombie game. Undead Nightmare does a surprisingly good job of capturing that survival horror feeling from the early Resident Evil games, and the setting is a nice change for a zombie game!
  23. Jun 24, 2015
    As of the writing of this review, the online component of this game is completely broken. The servers are glitchy, the sessions are lost, other players are invisible...and the eternal loading. The single player was OK, but not worthy of the praise written in the other reviews. This game will get monotonous fast as the Wild West is more desolate than any other sandbox game. You haveAs of the writing of this review, the online component of this game is completely broken. The servers are glitchy, the sessions are lost, other players are invisible...and the eternal loading. The single player was OK, but not worthy of the praise written in the other reviews. This game will get monotonous fast as the Wild West is more desolate than any other sandbox game. You have been warned. Expand
  24. Jan 30, 2015
    Red Dead Redemption
    Immersion Done Right
    This is how you make an open world game, with immersion in mind. Red Dead Redemption does a perfect..not nearly perfect, but a perfect job at pulling the player into it’s western world. Red Dead Redemption tells the story of John Marston a former western showdown gun slinging bad guy trying to redeem himself. He does so by repaying life debts
    Red Dead Redemption
    Immersion Done Right
    This is how you make an open world game, with immersion in mind.
    He does so by repaying life debts and hunting down a few old friends.
    But you are given freedom in the way you handle things outside of the games 13 hour main campaign.
    Outside of the story is where the beauty of this games immersion really starts to shine
    Its clear to me now why so many systems from this game have been added to series like assassins creed and also why it works here and not for them.
    Red Dead redemptions world is basically a giant desert, it’s pretty empty.. this can turn off a lot of players, It won’t and doesn’t surprise me at all to hear many find this game to be boring.. it can be, but isn’t really a run around and have fun kind of game…there are very few npcs roaming and inhabiting the world, but those that do all have a personality and a story to them.
    As you travel throughout the world on horseback you’ll run into strangers asking for your help, all which is optional.
    Some wanting help with getting a land deed, their wife, or are just in need of some materials that you can find organically in the open world.
    All of which you can deal with in your own way, you can pay someone off or just kill them and take what you’re there for.
    There is however an honor scale, you can get away with doing a few not so good things, but if you terrorize the world, the npcs will react to you in a bad manner.
    Adding to the oraganicness, You can also pick flowers, herbs, and hunt and skin animals.
    Hunting in Red Dead Redemption feels so right because the animals feel alive and real like all other npcs, they don’t feel like they are triggered or spawned into the world, they feel like they live there.
    Everything down to the mechanics screams immersion.
    The game asks for physical input in both running and controlling your horse.
    You have to pay attention to the game, you can’t just hold a button and go, It definitely takes time to get used to such a system of immersive mechanics, but once you do you will greatly appreciate it.
    Where the game does loose its spark at least for me is about 1/3 of the way through the main campaign. While the story really is great and the characters are brilliant, the mission design after the first 3rd of the game all plateaus.
    At first you are doing immersive tasks like hurdling cows in a bad storm, going out to catch a wild horse, really bringing the world to life, but later in the game it gets massively boring and repetitive..
    It turns into a lot of cover based follow the marker 3rd person shooter and ride shotgun while you take out the bandits following you over and over and over, luckily if you can manage to stick it out through this grindy section of the mexico part of the game, things start to pick up again for the final 3rd and missions will begin to feel varied just like before.
    But the annoying npcs that accompany you on many missions constantly rushing you and never shutting up about how slow you’re going doesn’t make the campaign any more enjoyable.
    But trust me, it’s worth it to make it to the end of this game.
    There’s also a free roam multiplayer where you can join other players in the same open world from the single player game to take over gang hideout and earn some cash, unfortunately multiplayer these days is pretty nonexistent, so don’t expect to get too much out if unless you have dedicated friends to play with.
    Red Dead Redemption is a beautiful and immersive game.
    I found it to be relaxing, boring and grindy at times, but Escapism at its finest.

For what it is
    Action Adventure 9 /10
    Overall 9/10
  25. Oct 29, 2015
    Overall great wild west experience, but the travelling on horse back from point A to point B is extremely far, control of distance and time spending on unnecessary things become norm these days
  26. Oct 27, 2016
    Best game ever made! Hmmm. Gotta make this 150 characters long.......do da de da de da do da de da de da de da do da de da de da de da do da de da de da de da do.
  27. Jul 7, 2017
    Mejor juego de la generación PS3/X360 y noten que solamente le pongo un 9, solo los videojuegos bendecidos por Dios deben obtener un 10 de puntuación incluyendo varias exculpaciones de pecados para ello, añadiendo además requisitos como la aprobación de la máxima autoridad eclesiástica, el odio de Paqurrín y la posesión del rocío iluminador sagrado revelador de secretos eternos, entreMejor juego de la generación PS3/X360 y noten que solamente le pongo un 9, solo los videojuegos bendecidos por Dios deben obtener un 10 de puntuación incluyendo varias exculpaciones de pecados para ello, añadiendo además requisitos como la aprobación de la máxima autoridad eclesiástica, el odio de Paqurrín y la posesión del rocío iluminador sagrado revelador de secretos eternos, entre otros. Tener el Santo Grial, la sábana santa... Etc.
    Todo habiendoselo ganado por méritos propios y no comprados de manos ajenas en Wallapop obviamente.
    Del juego solo tengo palabras de agradecimientos pero lo puedo resumir en una frase: un hijo parido por una dama de compañía puede hacer grandes cosas.
  28. Nov 2, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Most overrated game of all time, hands down. I don't know how Red Dead Redemption manages to receive so much praise and acclaim when it does pretty much everything wrong. The controls are clunky and awkward (John Marston controls like a tank). My biggest complaint about the controls is that you need to spam a button to sprint. Why? There's no reason at all for a feature like that to exist in ANY game. It's a standard feature in modern games to let you hold down a button to sprint, rather than keep son spamming it. Anyways, moving on, let's talk about the story and gameplay. The gameplay is generic, boring, uninvolving, uninspired, and extremely repetitive. Nearly all of the missions boil down to you doing the same thing over and over again: running and gunning, which make it no different to 99% of first/third person shooters on the market right now. The gunplay is mainly focused around slow motion an bullet time, so there's no challenge whatsoever, and instead it's just something you do. The very, VERY few missions that don't entirely consist of running and gunning are either tailing missions or boring fetching quests. The story is genuinely appalling. The entire Red Dead Redemption narrative template is as follows: find a NPC, do a favour for them, do another favour for them, do yet ANOTHER favour for them. Then, they will finally provide a TINY hint of progress towards your goal. Repeat this cycle for fifty hours, and you have Red Dead Redemption's story. The characters never develop and their personalities never change. The characters are uncharismatic, annoying dickheads, especially Irish and West Dickens. I just wanted to punch my TV so I wouldn't have to bear any more of them. So that's its characters, its story and its gameplay. Moving on, let's talk about the graphics. They looked like **** even for the time. They might have been acceptable for seventh generation consoles (XBOX 360, and PS3), but still, Rockstar could have at least made a slight effort. Now let's talk about the controversial ending. One of the biggest failures in the history of gaming, without a doubt. The game tries to make you feel emotion for an annoying, mental retard who you wanted to get rid of the entire time. A lot of people seemed to like its ending, but it didn't work for me. The ending aside, on of Red Dead Redemption's biggest flaws is the lack of the ability to swim. Why can't you swim? It's such a basic feature which is standard in most games these days. To make it even worse, Rockstar rubs in the fact that you can't swim, by using bodies of water as a way of stopping you from accessing later parts of the game. So annoying. This was stupid and lazy of Rockstar. With all of that said, let's talk about the game's upsides. The online multiplayer is incredibly fun, and slightly underrated. It was basically heroin to me at one point. Mini-games such as Poker and Blackjack are fun, addictive, and a unique way of making money, which not many games have done. I was blown away by how historically accurate the game is, especially the writing. The historical accuracy, as well as the beautifully rendered historical art and architecture, is by far my favourite thing about the game. Another upside is the Undead Nightmare DLC, which might actually be the best DLC ever made, and that's saying quite a lot. Another upside is the open world. Red Dead Redemption's open world is extremely diverse, and very detailed. Rockstar could have just made a simple desert, but instead they made a diverse, beautiful, and detailed open world, brimming with things to do. Everything from hunting to collecting flowers for a lady, there's tons to do in the world of Red Dead Redemption.

And that is my review of Red Dead Redemption.
  29. Jun 25, 2012
    Nobody makes better games than Rockstar. Their attention to detail is unmatched. Every aspect of their games is done better than anything else on the market - their control, their physics, their environments, their animations, their freedom of movement. When you play most games, there are usually 1 or 2 aspects of the game that are lacking or rushed...but Rockstar's games feel polished andNobody makes better games than Rockstar. Their attention to detail is unmatched. Every aspect of their games is done better than anything else on the market - their control, their physics, their environments, their animations, their freedom of movement. When you play most games, there are usually 1 or 2 aspects of the game that are lacking or rushed...but Rockstar's games feel polished and complete in every respect. Red Dead Redemption is no exception. They improved the character control since GTA, but horses aren't as fun to control as cars, so the traveling can get a bit dull. This world isn't quite as fun as GTA and lacks the over-the-top action from GTA (like the ability to sky dive or create 10-car pile-ups that made GTA so enjoyable)...but this is still an amazing game that puts most other games on the market to shame. It really is baffling to me how under-appreciated Rockstar's work ethic. They put so much more into their games than anyone else does, yet many other games still get scored in the 9-10 range, despite the fact that these games have half the amount of content, half the freedom, half the environment, and half the attention to detail as Red Dead Redemption. Expand
  30. Mar 25, 2013
    One of the best environments I've ever seen in a video game. It makes you feel like you're in the wild west. Rockstar always has really great voice acting and storytelling. This game may be their best.
  31. May 2, 2011
    This game captures you from the start. Gameplay mechanics much the same as GTA, so no amazing fun their. The immersion of this game is priceless....from the main story to side stories to hunting Legendary Animals. The greatest Wild West game to date. They need to start on a sequel as soon as L.A. Noire hits the shelves.
  32. Jul 3, 2013
    The best game I have ever played on PS3. It is like Grand Theft Auto but set in the Midwest with a much better story line. I actually found myself immersed in my character. The best part is this game is entertaining for months. Its not like Uncharted (after you beat it in two-three days your done. This game I actually can play again and again.
  33. Jul 18, 2013
    There have been tried and failed attempts to modernise the Western setting for video games, Hollywood had quite the hype with its over abundance of Spaghetti Westerns, yet they never truly left their mark on the gaming world. But when Rockstar announced that they would be creating a "spiritual sequel" to Red Dead Revolver, the air became ripe with anticipation at the thought of theThere have been tried and failed attempts to modernise the Western setting for video games, Hollywood had quite the hype with its over abundance of Spaghetti Westerns, yet they never truly left their mark on the gaming world. But when Rockstar announced that they would be creating a "spiritual sequel" to Red Dead Revolver, the air became ripe with anticipation at the thought of the developers of the hugely popular Grand Theft Auto series. Many began to assume that the game would be "Grand Theft Horses" yet while many of the gameplay elements of GTA come across to this Western genre, the statement couldn't be further from the truth.
    In true Western style, Red Dead Redemption captures all the glory, guts and gallantry that we have come to know from countless films and pop culture. Combining a fascinating yet heartbreaking story centred around the outlaw turned neutral cowboy John Marston, a man who wants to right his past wrongs and settle down with his family...easier said than done.
    As we are introduced to our protagonist, we also get a glimpse of the massive, sprawling and beautiful frontier we will soon get to explore at will. Every mechanic is polished to the point of near-perfection, whether you want to go out capture bounties or simply kill them, you can target various body parts or even shoot their hats off, the attention to detail is really quite mesmerising, from the vibrant wildlife to the inhabitants of the various towns, watching drunken men stagger home or watching women being chased and choosing whether to intervene or not. Much of this decision making takes place throughout the game, you could be the most villainous man to walk the prairie or be a legend and hero in the west, whatever you please and however you see fit.
    With this comes the very realistic gameplay approach that Rockstar have become accustomed to, horses move and gallop in a very realistic motion, they have stamina like the rest of us, the gunfights and shooting mechanics have come a long away since GTA IV, combining fluid and fast-paced style with enjoyable and simplistic ease. This works brilliantly with expansive world that Rockstar have created, with vast expanses of detailed deserts or snowy mountaintops filled with all sorts of wildlife that can be killed and skinned for money, or which contribute to contribute to upgrading the wardrobe of Marston. The open world and freedom comes into play in force as you can play a shoot em' up style by killing everything in site, or save damsels and men being chased by wild dogs, why not help the local sheriff clear out s gang hideout or be in it for yourself and max out your character until you see fit.
    In terms of the story, it can feel a little forced and sometimes lacking in surprise, with many objectives consisting of learning the ropes if surviving the Wild West, sometime when a mission seems over, it keeps going, and many of the decisions John Marston makes can directly oppose the personality they he has been moulded in. But this does indeed take a drastic turn in the closing moments of the story, a triumph amongst video game endings that sits among the best finales ever seen.
    The game delivers a homage and callback to pretty much everything we have come to know about the Old West, the taverns, the horseback, the beautiful horizon, the duels in the muddy street with a brave onlooker, and the beauty of the place may just sit with you, in awe and amazement and general satisfaction for another success for Rockstar.
    Whether you are veteran in the GTA universe or a fan of the Westerns of yesteryear, Red Dead Redemption brings everything to the table, giving the player ultimate freedom and endless capabilities to roam the massive frontier, it's safe to say that this could well be a masterpiece, and from a personal level a true triumph in gaming and quite possibly among the greatest.
  34. Apr 5, 2014
    Story: 9.5 out of 10 Graphics: 9.5 out of 10 Gameplay: 9 out of 10 Fun: 9 out of 10 Controls: 9.5 out of 10
    Multiplayer: 8.5
    Ease to Learn: 9.5 out of 10
    Length: 9 out of 10
    Re-play: 8.5 out of 10
    Audio: 10 out of 10
    Bugs/Glitches: none
  35. Jul 29, 2012
    Great game, standard Rockstar game-good voice acting, good characters, nothing that hasn't been done story-wise, and while it's completely cliche it still does it well. Single player is great, however other than the main story and some stranger events(which are very well done) there isn't much meat besides the various challenges. The challenges are alright, but specifically the plant onesGreat game, standard Rockstar game-good voice acting, good characters, nothing that hasn't been done story-wise, and while it's completely cliche it still does it well. Single player is great, however other than the main story and some stranger events(which are very well done) there isn't much meat besides the various challenges. The challenges are alright, but specifically the plant ones are dragged out and annoying. The game does a great job of creating the wild-west atmosphere, and has a nice variety in the map, ranging from Texas to Mexico, with an added forest area in the map to give it something other than desert. As a sandbox the game is solid, though in places the map seems dead, which can be seen as a positive or a negative. The game still adds in a decent amount of miscellaneous games to do, horseshoe, poker, liar's dice, and horse taming all of which are good, but the gambling games are really well done(though liar's dice is DLC). The game is great for a while, but eventually you will run out of things to do on the map, and multi-player freeroam eventually boils down to just riding around in the desert with nothing to do, or raiding gang hideouts ad infinitum. That being said the freeroam is still a lot of fun with friends, it just lacks something to do besides ride around on horses and shoot cougars and bears. Competitive multi is par for the course, but added in for those who find it fun. Overall a good game, the freeroam and main story will keep you occupied for a hefty amount of time, but it lacks something to really keep people playing for some serious time Expand
  36. Feb 3, 2013
    One of the best games off all time. Awesome history graphics gameplay and the zombie DLC on the Old West revilocionate the gaming industry! the multiplayer is a bit fuzzy but its still very good
  37. May 25, 2012
    Story fades off to tedium in many parts of the game, but it's certainly worth a playthrough nevertheless (took me 3 goes to get up and running with game though)
  38. Aug 1, 2012
    THE... GREATEST... GAME.... EFFIN EVER!!! If you didn't like this game you have zero concept of character development, plot, climax and a perfect ending to a perfect game. Go play Call of Duty if you don't enjoy this game where you just mindlessly run around and shoot people. I highly doubt a better game will ever be made. A masterpiece within gaming. Absolute perfection. Actually, I thinkTHE... GREATEST... GAME.... EFFIN EVER!!! If you didn't like this game you have zero concept of character development, plot, climax and a perfect ending to a perfect game. Go play Call of Duty if you don't enjoy this game where you just mindlessly run around and shoot people. I highly doubt a better game will ever be made. A masterpiece within gaming. Absolute perfection. Actually, I think I hate you if you don't like this game. Expand
  39. Nov 14, 2012
    Must play. Must own. Must experience gem. Beautiful world and great music to reflect the atmosphere that is the wild west. Memorable protagonist and great campaign mode. GREAT game. Sega was my first game system and o how far we've come. RDR is a real treat. Bought the game for 20 bucks and worth every money and then some.
  40. Nov 12, 2013
    A terrific sandbox game set in a fictional old-west. Everything you've heard about the graphics and sound are true. Good voice acting and a compelling storyline keep things moving while the side quests and mini games keep everything interesting. The game is only marred by a sloppy control scheme that takes a LOT of getting used to, and a ridiculous, cumbersome save system. I would haveA terrific sandbox game set in a fictional old-west. Everything you've heard about the graphics and sound are true. Good voice acting and a compelling storyline keep things moving while the side quests and mini games keep everything interesting. The game is only marred by a sloppy control scheme that takes a LOT of getting used to, and a ridiculous, cumbersome save system. I would have also liked it if the setting had been based on actual places in the old west instead of a fictional southwestern state. In all, though, a fun, gigantic game that very much lives up to the hype. Expand
  41. Jul 12, 2017
    Red Dead Redemption at first glance looks kinda bad with its horrible lighting graphical glitches and rendering. But after you get sucked in it starts to look pretty damn cool, after all, what can you expect on these garbage machines called consoles.

Rockstar still makes a terrible clunky character movement but the horses feel pretty great. The gameplay can be set to lock on so your three year old can beat the game or expert where you got to some what try and aim.

The world is pretty huge and full of things to do, unlike other Rockstar games the online is a blast and the free roam is also a nice touch.

There are plenty of weapons and random events/side quests to keep ya busy after beating the game or during.

The story is typical but still decent and the ending was a good fit for my taste.

I loved this game, shame it hasn't come to PC.

Though there are quite a few guns in the game they never feel special only added ammo quite a shame, tho the smoke off the western gun barrels adds the perfect touch.
  42. Jul 21, 2012
    An amazing setting, Red Dead Redemption is one of the best games that I have played. Fantastic graphics, awesome gameplay and realistic sound effects. This game has everything and with over 30 hours of game time, this is a game which is well worth your money. Thought towards the end, riding on a horse was becoming slightly tiresome but that was only because of the huge sandbox map.
  43. Jun 19, 2013
    One of the best games ever made for the PS3. Beautiful, fun, characters are great, open world, great story. So much better than GTA IV (thought GTA IV characters and stories were lacking). But in short, this is a must have for any person that owns a PS3.
  44. Jul 28, 2012
    To keep it short, it is 2012 and I still imagine myself playing this game, the story is engaging, the people feel alive, the maim character is someone I for once cared about, and the gameplay never gets old. A game about vengeance, family and redemption is perfectly displayed through both comical yet serious dialogue keeps the game alive. Main story aside, side quests, or random eventsTo keep it short, it is 2012 and I still imagine myself playing this game, the story is engaging, the people feel alive, the maim character is someone I for once cared about, and the gameplay never gets old. A game about vengeance, family and redemption is perfectly displayed through both comical yet serious dialogue keeps the game alive. Main story aside, side quests, or random events such as a man chased by wolves in need of your help continue to spring up continuously as the realism of this game mixed into mind where I believed I was a cowboy saving a women from bandits while hunting in the huge open world for bears while herding cows. Everything honestly recieves a 10. Expand
  45. Aug 9, 2012
    Most reviews of this game fail to mention that the multiplayer offering is the most varied set of gametypes on the market and with such a large community, you never have to wait for a game even in the less popular modes. at my last count there were around 30 different ways to play the online mode and they are definitely not just minor variations. the variety could not be overstated.Most reviews of this game fail to mention that the multiplayer offering is the most varied set of gametypes on the market and with such a large community, you never have to wait for a game even in the less popular modes. at my last count there were around 30 different ways to play the online mode and they are definitely not just minor variations. the variety could not be overstated. there are your basic assortment of one-sided (two round) and two-sided (one round) team games plus the obligatory free-for-all, but of these classics which amount to about 7 playlists, there are wildly divergent modes, starting with the 16 player free-roam, where the entire map is available and filled with enemies, marshals, animals, civilians, and other players with whom you can form officially recognized alliances or hostilities. It's also worth mentioning that there is a distinct difference between the structured gametypes where every player starts with the same weaponry and has access to the same weapons placed on the map, and the free-roam where every player levels up their character unlocking and equiping things along the way, leading to the excitement of "earning your spurs" so to speak. there are online gambling lobies, (Excellent) racing lobies, and a great co-op mode with multiple difficulties where up to four players advance through a story-driven mission with a narrator and are able to revive one another in order to keep the action going (once the mission is completed or everyone is dead the mission is over). The game of the year edition contains all the DLC which mostly effects the online adding things like king of the hill to free-roam, but most notably the Zombies expansion, including an online co-op zombie hoard mode to kill for. And since i didn't mention it anywhere else. the games single player would still be stand alone game of the year by itself. Expand
  46. Dec 12, 2012
    After playing through the main storyline as well as taking my precious time between side missions and challenges, I can gladly say that this game is the best "Grand Theft Auto"-esque game produced by Rockstar. Environments are unique, interesting and consistently enjoyable to play around in, characters that you come across and encounter are well-rounded and interesting in their own way,After playing through the main storyline as well as taking my precious time between side missions and challenges, I can gladly say that this game is the best "Grand Theft Auto"-esque game produced by Rockstar. Environments are unique, interesting and consistently enjoyable to play around in, characters that you come across and encounter are well-rounded and interesting in their own way, and the whole traditional feel of a western game really does shine through this fine example of one. You can hunt for animals that are sprinkled all across the three areas that you can traverse through, there will be countless amounts of dynamic encounters like saving a treasure hunter from pilfering bandits or engaging in a good old-fashioned duel to test the agility and grit of our lone ranging. The Dead Eye Meter as well as regenerative health, while making the game seem like an easy ride the way through, actually distribute a lot of the difficulties from other Grand Theft Auto-inspired games and allow the player to play the game challenged but not completely overwhelmed. There are also tons of other minigames as well, such as arm wrestling, poker, horseshoes, and even little propaganda movies. The lore and the history shown through this game is also captivating as well, and you can feel quite nostalgic from reading old-timey newspapers that are unapologetically misogynistic and retro in their own feel. I was worried that the diversity of the weapons in this game would be few and far in between, but in actuality, there is an arsenal of weapons to find, choose from, and use in the game, if several guns are categorized in the same field, such as sniper rifles, repeaters, shotguns, miscellary, and pistols. the only few gripes I have with this game is that Horse controls can be a little shoddy, and I still haven't quite found a way to stop a horse from moving at all (unless I kill it), and the fact that the main storyline kind of ended on a disappointing note. It wasn't as dramatic as I hoped it would be. Still, this game will definitely be worth your money if you want to engage yourself in a top-notch competitor for other western-themed games to come. Expand
  47. Jun 1, 2013
    I have never played a better western game. How they got all the elements right is beyond me. The horse riding, gunplay, environment and game mechanics deliver a truly western gaming legend. Absolute proof that Rockstar has what it takes to make the next GTA and RDR as good as we want it to be and much more.
  48. Oct 26, 2012
    Working as if it were the great-grandfather of Grand Theft Auto IV, Grand Theft Horse is based in the scenic dirtplot of Las Venturas right after the Spanish colonials got kicked out in favour of hicks with revolvers. Unlike Red Dead Revolver, the assumable precursor to this title by the Rockstar franchise, Red Dead Redemption places you in the shoes (or boots) of John Marston, criminalWorking as if it were the great-grandfather of Grand Theft Auto IV, Grand Theft Horse is based in the scenic dirtplot of Las Venturas right after the Spanish colonials got kicked out in favour of hicks with revolvers. Unlike Red Dead Revolver, the assumable precursor to this title by the Rockstar franchise, Red Dead Redemption places you in the shoes (or boots) of John Marston, criminal turned rancher who is forced by the puritanical US Government to go to the wild wild west to kill his ex-gang partners-in-crime, lest the government will kill John's family should he not comply. The sandbox world you're given is broad and bold, though a bit drab, considering it's cactus, rocks, and dirt almost as far as the eye can see. The sheer scope of the world, however, makes up for its lack of diversity; while the world feels big, it's not impossible to traverse it, and there are enough hunting side-quests and different minigames that allow you to explore the land at your leisure; furthermore, the desert atmosphere does carry a unique charm. The plot and characters all carry themselves with that cowboy swagger you'd expect to see in any Western, and deliver with clichés firmly lassoed and corralled in all the expected places with well acted and written dialogue. As for the gameplay, it handles excellently, with heated gun battles and horse race chases, though given this is the entire basis of the game, it at times gets a bit old and boring. While other quests such as collecting wild herbs and hunting wild animals exist, they never seem to balance the main missions, and nobody in their right mind could have thought that missions involving you herding cows could have been a good idea when the cows have the frequent habit of impaling themselves on trees, getting lost on railroad tracks in front of oncoming trains, or diving headfirst off cliffs. While Red Dead Redemption offers much exploration and a very well written plot, the substance seems a bit sparse. Many of the missions seem to exist simply for the sake of doing something, and it takes 10 minutes just to listen to the characters drone on about their lives before the mission even starts, before spending the next 10 minutes trotting alongside them as they whine about their woes to you until you reach your destination. The game is excellently written and a barrel of fun, but it all seems almost forced and meaningless in the end, leaving you with a feeling emptiness and expectations unfulfilled. Regardless, the game is definitely worth a play through, and won't leave you regretting your time. Except the time you spend herding cows. Expand
  49. Oct 7, 2012
    Everything is just right: look, content, dialogue, music, humor, action - everywhere is only very, very little room for improvement. With every step on the dusty ground it seems as if Eastwood or Bronson felt his side. Never before has the flair of hard spaghetti western was so perfect in a game over
  50. May 5, 2016
    Red Dead Redemption is a masterpiece. The open world is beyond stunning and engrossing, the gameplay is bad-ass and really fun, the musical score is fantastic and the story and characters are very compelling. Combine all these elements then you have what I call THE definitive western gaming experience and one of the best open world games of all time.
  51. Nov 5, 2012
    Easily the best Rockstar game of all time. It is beautiful and well written. On top of that, it is time consuming! Sure, the campaign is about 12 hours, but there is so much more! I've owned this game since launched and have easily put in three full days in it, and counting. The only flaws I have with it is that a lot of the doors in town are unopenable, the police are one step away fromEasily the best Rockstar game of all time. It is beautiful and well written. On top of that, it is time consuming! Sure, the campaign is about 12 hours, but there is so much more! I've owned this game since launched and have easily put in three full days in it, and counting. The only flaws I have with it is that a lot of the doors in town are unopenable, the police are one step away from retarded, and the second protagonist in the game is annoying, and you can not switch back. It isn't a ten, but I can't go lower than a nine. If this was a 100 point scale I'd give it a 9.6. This is a mustbuy. You are doing yourself a dishonor if you do not try it out. Expand
  52. Nov 5, 2012
    With Batman AC and Uncharted 2, this game is in my top 3 of this generation. The map is very big, the history is very good, fun multiplayer, great climate, good gameplay. The graphics is not good as XBox 360 version, but i think its not a problem to have days of fun with this masterpiece.
  53. Oct 29, 2013
    Red Dead Redemption is a five star game. Unique and one of a kind. From main story missions to side missions and all. Everything about this game will keep you hooked until the end.
  54. Nov 15, 2012
    Ok, i was a Western movie lover i always used to watch Western movies and i loved Red Dead Revolver i have always loved Rockstar Games and Then.... Red Dead Redemption i pre-ordered the game because i liked the trailers and Gameplays so bad! and the game got me in love with it 89 hours of gameplay i loved it it's the best PS3,360 game i think i just have to say this...MASTERPIECE
  55. Mar 25, 2015
    The way that Rockstar presented the Red Dead Redemption story is rather, well, utterly meh, especially the pacing, completely disconnecting any sort of connection with the family that the game emphasisis so much upon. But that still doesn't take away from the fact of just how incredible the immersion and gameplay is. Especially the atmosphere. There is literally here, no better immersionThe way that Rockstar presented the Red Dead Redemption story is rather, well, utterly meh, especially the pacing, completely disconnecting any sort of connection with the family that the game emphasisis so much upon. But that still doesn't take away from the fact of just how incredible the immersion and gameplay is. Especially the atmosphere. There is literally here, no better immersion nor graphics in any other single game ever created. I am serious here. There is a beauty here unlike anything else in any game, and I just can't deny how just amazed I am of this. And despite the pacing and all being odd with the story, the acting is utterly superb and the presentation in terms of visuals is beyond anything I've ever seen. Expand
  56. Dec 24, 2012
    Red Dead Redemption is one of the best western based games of all time. The scenery is stunning and the story sucks you right in straight away. It has a gta feel but it feels more unique. Most of the time I get sidetracked by playing poker or blackjack and forget that I'm a cowboy. The joy you will get from this game is high and it is one of the best games I have ever played. I give it 9/10
  57. Jan 22, 2013
    First of all Rockstar finally made a better game than Grand Theft Auto since i was addicted GTA. But this really standed out in the Hall of Fame. The best Rockstar game since Grand Theft Auto IV.
  58. Mar 19, 2014
    Played this game right after it came out. A little buggy, but still makes anything Naughty Dog or Irrational Games made look like amateur hour, The Last of Us included.
  59. Dec 28, 2012
    Much, much better than GTA 4. Before anybody bashes me with this phrase, hear me out - it is simply a better game, it has that class and charm that I feel was lost after the GTA games on PS2. The graphics are very clean, the landscapes are fantastic (particularly at sunrise/sunset), a part of you feels like you're back in a classic Spaghetti Western when you play this, it's very authenticMuch, much better than GTA 4. Before anybody bashes me with this phrase, hear me out - it is simply a better game, it has that class and charm that I feel was lost after the GTA games on PS2. The graphics are very clean, the landscapes are fantastic (particularly at sunrise/sunset), a part of you feels like you're back in a classic Spaghetti Western when you play this, it's very authentic looking. The controls don't have a steep learning curve, the music is well done, even though I think this was the game's main weakness (I would have brought in Ennio Morricone for it), the characters are full of life (and if you have friends similar to Irish, it makes it all the more amusing), the side missions are mixed in difficulty and can happen anytime you're out on your horse or for a walk. Pure and simply, if you're interested in American History, Movies about the wild west, Graphic Novels about the wild west, dressing up like a Cowboy to a rodeo show, playing the hero or the antagonist, travelling around the south western USA and mexico, and have a 360 or PS3 available - this is a game that deserves a good look! Expand
  60. Dec 30, 2012
    Very nice game! Like a GTA western :) Open world, nic graphics, epic missions, great story and more... If you have Playstation 3 you must buy this great game!
  61. Jan 3, 2013
    LOL, I can not believe that anyone would give this game a bad review.. Its about near perfect unless you have a strong hatred for fun and riding horses.
  62. Jan 13, 2013
    This game definitely is predominately better than any other Rockstar company game ever made. The fun of this game includes Poker, Liar's Dice, or getting drunk and walking down a western-filled road. The campaign was incredible, I played it all and I absolutely loved it. Rockstar has pulled off a yet again, another amazing game. The graphics are definitely the best I've played for in aThis game definitely is predominately better than any other Rockstar company game ever made. The fun of this game includes Poker, Liar's Dice, or getting drunk and walking down a western-filled road. The campaign was incredible, I played it all and I absolutely loved it. Rockstar has pulled off a yet again, another amazing game. The graphics are definitely the best I've played for in a while. You're getting your money worth. I have to warn parents though lingering on getting their child this game, there is some partial nudity. You can skip these parts though by pressing the "pause" button, or just pressing the "X" button control on your controller. That or just turn off the TV. Multiplayer in this game does NOT include nudity at any time though, language is the main thing in the game you have to worry about. Although I say that, this game is highly recommended. A lot of fun and filled with days of the campaign mode. Expand
  63. Jan 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Read Dead Redemption is one of the most exciting, captivating, story based games I've ever played. But coming from Rockstar, I expect noting less. Including amazing, physics , graphics, and dialogue. As well, as having a ginormous free roaming map. It shows a disguise of being a common shooter game. But in reality, it has all the components of a classic game, within our community. It possesses humor, heart break, and gives you the Western feel. Throughout the game, you feel connections between the characters that you meet, almost as if you really knew them. You feel the tragedies they go through , as if they were your own experiences. In my opinion, this game has single-handedly out shined any game made by Rockstar. I suggest you pick up this game and give it a try, you definitely will not regret making said choice. - Trenton
    My Rating : 9/10
    Red Dead Redemption is the entire package, a most attention grabbing self-portrait of art, impressive dialogue, and a heart stopping act of scenery. The game itself earned my money, I especially enjoyed the campaign of the game. The campaign included a breath sweeping, mind blowing, and anticipated storyline of a cowboy determined to save his family from the downfall of the United States. The storyline also included laughter, seriousness, acts of realism, and fantastic character posing and acting. If you are looking for a game to play that is both serious, and western-like, get Red Dead Redemption right away. My other love for this game takes part in HD graphic multiplayer mode. If I ever needed some good old fun with my friends, I would rally up some and play the multiplayer non-stop. The problems I have with this game, would only have to be the nudity. Now, before you get all serious, the nudity is unnecessary even though it makes the game more realistic, and adds some interest. There are two parts in which nudity occus (which can be skipped), one where you walk in a barn and there is a man with his genitalia cut off and he is hanging completely bare. The next scene (a follow up to the near-ending of the game), is where Jack Marston (your main character), walks in on an old friend of his and a random mexican woman have intercourse. No matter what, it is unnecessary and I don
  64. Jan 28, 2013
    This game is the pinnacle of sandbox adventures. John Marston is a likeable character, the story, like all Rockstar games, is a joy to play through and the ending was definitely a surprise. If the game was released today, the graphics would still be top-notch. The collection of fun mini -games also adds value to an already stellar experience. The multiplayer is fun if you can gatherThis game is the pinnacle of sandbox adventures. John Marston is a likeable character, the story, like all Rockstar games, is a joy to play through and the ending was definitely a surprise. If the game was released today, the graphics would still be top-notch. The collection of fun mini -games also adds value to an already stellar experience. The multiplayer is fun if you can gather together a group of friends. Overall, RDR is a must-have for anyone who owns a PS3/360. Collapse
  65. Feb 20, 2013
    Easily one of the best games of the current generation of consoles. It plays like a more polished, Wild West version of GTA but is superior to Rockstar's flagship franchise in nearly every conceivable way. Plain and simple, if you like the Wild West, third person shooters, sand box games, and games with great storytelling than RDR is a can't miss game. The gunplay isn't revolutionary butEasily one of the best games of the current generation of consoles. It plays like a more polished, Wild West version of GTA but is superior to Rockstar's flagship franchise in nearly every conceivable way. Plain and simple, if you like the Wild West, third person shooters, sand box games, and games with great storytelling than RDR is a can't miss game. The gunplay isn't revolutionary but effective and satisfying. The plot isn't the most original out but the characters will draw you in and will remain on your mind long after the game is finished. Where this game truly shines is in it's ability to bring the Old West to life in a way not yet accomplished by any other game. Some might think having such vast stretches of wilderness taking up the game map would make for a boring experience traversing the world but nothing could be further from the truth. As players travel to and from the hustle and bustle of various frontier towns and sleepy settlements they will encounter a number of crazy characters, wild beasts, and side quests to keep them entertained along the way. Every inch of this digital world is teeming with life. The landscape is absolutely gorgeous and traveling this faux-Tex/Mex region on horseback alone a joy. I have never played a game with such efficient and tight horse control as in this game. I won't ramble on any more for fear of ruining the pleasure found in discovering what RDR has to offer on your own but if you are even thinking about buying this game, DO IT! Expand
  66. Feb 11, 2013
    This is one of those rare games that you are really vexed when you have completed it. Wonderful story, characters and phenomenal landscape made for my favourite ever gaming experience. I return to it fairly often for the hunting trails alone. Multiplayer was also enjoyable. Belly laughs throughout. Look forward to a follow-up.........how about "Red Dead or Alive".
  67. Feb 11, 2013
    The best game EVER! fantastic game! i don't have words to express the happiness playing this AWESOME game... the best end... the best story... perfect!
  68. Jul 21, 2013
    Rockstar did it again.Script is awesome and emotionally,excellent gun,horse etc. mechanics,Large map,a lot of atmospheres,Content is really enough.Undisputed Top 3 western games of all time and top 30 games of all-time.Masterpiece.
  69. Feb 16, 2013
    It gives a real cowboy vibe, (I would now, I was born in 1873) Has a pretty good storyline, and great gameplay.
    The multiplayer is absolutely great, and it features a free roam mode, where you can start a posse and kill other posses. It has a few bugs though, but don't let them get in the way of an otherwise extraordinary game.
    After you finish the story missions, theres still plenty to
    After you finish the story missions, theres still plenty to do such as, challenges, stranger side-missions,
    bounty hunting and duels.
  70. Feb 19, 2013
    An absolute masterpiece by Rockstar Games, you get real-life early 20th century American and wild west features, along with a suspenseful plot, and amazing gameplay, totally worth the 60 bucks!
  71. Mar 7, 2013
    I feel complete playing this game. That's something I've never said before for a game, and something that probably won't be said again in a long time (until Bioshock Infinite maybe) but seriously, this game will change your life. For better.
  72. Feb 20, 2013
    There is nothing more i can expect from a game...
    I was extremely happy to play RDR,now dat i have completed it, I don't know what to do..Eagerly waiting for the Sequel or prequel...
    I recommend this game to everybody on this planet...
  73. Feb 26, 2013
    Amazing game, wonderful, love the theme, the genre, the music, graphics etc. GTA in the wild west. If for whatever reason you don't have this game, and are looking for something to do on the PS3, get it now!
  74. Mar 6, 2013
    It`s the best game I`ve ever played, in decades of gaming. What can I say about the immersive plot, the enormous open map, the beautiful soundtrack, the perfect gameplay. And the ending just makes you want to cry. You can almost feel everything John Marston feels, it simply feels like a movie that you can control. Legen, wait for it, dary!
  75. Apr 6, 2013
    Never have I seen such an immersive world with a plethora of engaging stuff to do. Fun stuff that doesn't feel tacked-on; mini-games, side-missions, main missions, multiplayer. The world is detailed and intricate, it totally fits the style of the early 1900's western feel. The storyline is also compelling and is full of twists you won't see coming, complete with superb voice acting. ItsNever have I seen such an immersive world with a plethora of engaging stuff to do. Fun stuff that doesn't feel tacked-on; mini-games, side-missions, main missions, multiplayer. The world is detailed and intricate, it totally fits the style of the early 1900's western feel. The storyline is also compelling and is full of twists you won't see coming, complete with superb voice acting. Its ending by the way was so unexpected and was one of those truly great "Oh s***!" moments in gaming. There is so much stuff to do in this game, I mean Rockstar really went all out. It is truly a spectacle witnessing such a great game ascending to such heights. There is so much to mention and it is all so solid that I just can't find a fault with anything in the game. Yes, there a few bugs every now and then but they're never a detriment to the game, if anything they even enhance the experience with how ridiculously funny they are. I cannot recommend enough that you spend your hard-earned cash on this game. Trust me, you won't regret it. Expand
  76. Feb 16, 2016
    The only reason I played through the entire game was just to try and understand all the hype. Especially after playing gun upon the 360's release, I can say there's nothing about this game that was interesting to me. I'm not often disapointed but Rockstar games tends to generally hit al the wrong notes with me. At least the gameplay is not broken which is why I feel I cannot give it lessThe only reason I played through the entire game was just to try and understand all the hype. Especially after playing gun upon the 360's release, I can say there's nothing about this game that was interesting to me. I'm not often disapointed but Rockstar games tends to generally hit al the wrong notes with me. At least the gameplay is not broken which is why I feel I cannot give it less than a 5/10 rating. Definitely don't pick up this game especially considering the fact that it aged horribly. Expand
  77. Aug 11, 2013
    A perfect western sandbox game. There's enough content here to last you hundreds of hours.

It really seems rockstar can do no wrong when it comes to sandbox genre.

The protagonist of the story is a really memorable one, much better than the ones in gta series.
  78. Jun 20, 2015
    Wow. This game is very impressive. It's like Grand Theft Auto if it was set in the wild west instead of cities and urban landscapes. Will you be good or bad?
  79. Jul 2, 2013
    The story is perfect and was really worth doing, you sure won't regret following it. The gameplay is fun, but can be a bit repetitive. Your riding your horse most of the time, but what would you expect with an open world wild west game? The game sure has some flaws, but is a great experience. The real bad thing about this game are the awful minigames. I played all of them and dislikedThe story is perfect and was really worth doing, you sure won't regret following it. The gameplay is fun, but can be a bit repetitive. Your riding your horse most of the time, but what would you expect with an open world wild west game? The game sure has some flaws, but is a great experience. The real bad thing about this game are the awful minigames. I played all of them and disliked them, really terrible that you have to do those minigames for the 100%. Expand
  80. Jun 14, 2013
    RDR is likely my favorite game of all time. I've been playing games since 1975 and I've seen a lot.
    The atmosphere, music, dialogues, characters... everything is done in a way where the game is very
    immersive. I remember looking forward to play the game after work just to escape and relax. A true MASTERPIECE. Likely the only game I will give a 10.
  81. Jun 17, 2013
    I can't believe that this game has a lower score than GTA4.It is clearly the better game.Interesting side missions,fun characters, yup this is for me the best game for this generation.
  82. Jun 20, 2013
    Red Dead Redemption. I'll admit I love the wild west, like Doc Brown from Back to the Future I would definitely go back to this time period. In this case, I don't think even Doc Brown could tell the difference as this is one of the most amazing experiences I have had in a video game. It made me angry, happy, sad, excited and sometimes downright evil. Rockstar really made anotherRed Dead Redemption. I'll admit I love the wild west, like Doc Brown from Back to the Future I would definitely go back to this time period. In this case, I don't think even Doc Brown could tell the difference as this is one of the most amazing experiences I have had in a video game. It made me angry, happy, sad, excited and sometimes downright evil. Rockstar really made another masterpiece. You feel like a real cowboy from gunning down civilians to robbing trains to bounty hunting varmints on horseback. This is the definitive western experience that does not require a time machine. Expand
  83. Jan 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the only game I would consider perfect. Out of all the games I'v ever played, this is the best by a country mile.

First off, the change in direction was an absolutely brilliant move by Rockstar. I wasn't a big fan of GTA IV, so a breath of fresh air was definitely good. The new setting of The Wild West is fantastic, expansive and full of random events and things to discover. Hunting, Marksmanship and Treasure Hunting are just some of the things to do in this amazing world.

The graphics are superb. There are sometimes a few bugs, but otherwise they're flawless. Sunrise and Sunset look amazing, and the water graphics are also superb. The movement and appearance of humans and animals is great, especially horses. I'm still looking for a game that has better horse graphical animations than Red Dead Redemption.

The music is also flawless. Just look up the soundtrack if you don't believe me. It consists of your standard Wild West Saloon music to your licensed tracks, like the one as you enter Mexico. It's an unforgettable soundtrack and it adds to the game immensely.

The controls are spot on, and the introduction of Dead Eye is a welcome addition, especially when taking down animals or large groups of enemies. The weapon selection wheel is great for changing weapons or equipment quickly, and seeing how much ammunition you have for each gun before entering a fight. The controls are also great, as they add a new feel to the horses and how they're stamina is affected by galloping for long periods of time.

Storywise, this is my favourite game ever. Red Dead Redemption tells the story of John Marston, a former gang member, and how he is forced by Federal agents to take up his guns and hunt the men he once rode with in order to save his family. His journey takes him from ranches to the outback of Mexico, where he becomes a crucial figure in the Mexican Revolution. The addition of character with conscience in a Rockstar game is a welcome change, as it provides much more variety than your average mass-murdering sociopath offered by Grand Theft Auto. The game still allows you to go on murderous rampages, bu the new Honour system may discourage you as it decreases as you commit crimes and kill people, and it starts to affect how NPCs view you. Similar to this is Fame, which increases as you play through the story and perform big actions that affect the world. These two features are great as they add a sense of progression throughout the story as you become more notorious and well-known throughout The Wild West. The end of the game is an emotional one, and it will leave you questioning who's side you're on, before the Federal Agents finally betray John Marston and kill him. You are then allowed to play as John's son, Jack, and have the option of hunting John's killer and duelling him in a standoff for an alternative ending to the game. This addition is fantastic as it means the game doesn't end on a sad note, and it allows you to find redemption for Jack Marston.

Overall I cannot recommend this game more. If it isn't a PS3 Essential/Platinum title, it should be. It earns it's title as my favourite game ever, and I'm sure it will make an impression on you to. If you don't own this game; grab it before you're sucked into another story-driven game on Next-Gen.
  84. Jun 22, 2013
    the game is perfect!
    the plot is very interesting and you have a lot things to do, like story mission, side missions and perfect multiplayer.
    everyone must play this game!
  85. Jun 27, 2013
    This game shows why rockstar is one of the most beloved game company's in the world, with its utterly amazing: RED DEAD REDEMPTION. The graphics are stellar, the map is massive, detailed, and full of life, gameplay is fun and addicting, and the story is absolutely fantastic. I simply have nothing to complain about except for very few bugs and glitches, which won't be penalised, as I thinkThis game shows why rockstar is one of the most beloved game company's in the world, with its utterly amazing: RED DEAD REDEMPTION. The graphics are stellar, the map is massive, detailed, and full of life, gameplay is fun and addicting, and the story is absolutely fantastic. I simply have nothing to complain about except for very few bugs and glitches, which won't be penalised, as I think it's 100% impossible to make a game without some technical errors. In short, this game is a masterpiece, and unmissable experience. Expand
  86. Jul 3, 2013
    It is impossible to say that Red Dead Redemption is a bad game. It is a unique open world with a unique world to explore that only Rockstar could create. John Marston is a character with whom I most identified, is a special character, who just wants his family back. Throughout the game the player encounters unusual characters, and dangerous, but they are just to emphasize the world inIt is impossible to say that Red Dead Redemption is a bad game. It is a unique open world with a unique world to explore that only Rockstar could create. John Marston is a character with whom I most identified, is a special character, who just wants his family back. Throughout the game the player encounters unusual characters, and dangerous, but they are just to emphasize the world in which the player is inserted. There are many activities to do, and a world to explore, there are several ways to earn money and to top it off, this game features a multiplayer that is worth being played. The game has a few bugs, but those bugs is the price to pay for one of the best looking games around. Expand
  87. Jul 5, 2013
    It is impossible to say that Red Dead Redemption is a bad game. It is a unique open world with a unique world to explore that only Rockstar could create. John Marston is a character with whom I most identified, is a special character. Throughout the game the player encounters unusual characters, and dangerous, but they are just to emphasize the world in which the player is inserted. ThereIt is impossible to say that Red Dead Redemption is a bad game. It is a unique open world with a unique world to explore that only Rockstar could create. John Marston is a character with whom I most identified, is a special character. Throughout the game the player encounters unusual characters, and dangerous, but they are just to emphasize the world in which the player is inserted. There are many activities to do, and a world to explore, there are several ways to earn money and to top it off, this game features a multiplayer that is worth being played. The game has a few bugs, but those bugs are the price to pay for one of the best looking games around. Expand
  88. Sep 8, 2013
    Great game. Sometimes a little bit boring, when you must ride from one piece of map to other but random quests and possibility of fast transfer is solving this problem. Very good game, i pray gtav (its only o e week to this) will take this great conditions and positive moments of this game.
  89. Dec 7, 2013
    Rockstar nailed the look and feel of this game. There's great visual fidelity, and some of the best sound design a game has ever had. There is a mission where you go with a character named irish to mexico, and the ending that leaves you riding through mexico at sunrise with a great song will give you goosebumps. The story is excellent, and has plenty of wacky characters for you to meet, myRockstar nailed the look and feel of this game. There's great visual fidelity, and some of the best sound design a game has ever had. There is a mission where you go with a character named irish to mexico, and the ending that leaves you riding through mexico at sunrise with a great song will give you goosebumps. The story is excellent, and has plenty of wacky characters for you to meet, my only gripe is that the story seems like the story keeps going on and on forever. The ending also left me feeling EXTREMELY underwhelmed. It felt like I had dumped 50 hours into the game, and had no idea why. The gameplay is across the board very good, with some standouts and some missed notes. Gunplay, horse controls, deuling, and hunting are excellent, along with the slo-mo dead eye shooting mode which allows you to tag multiple targets and helps you pull off impressive kills/get out of sticky situations. I don't like how whenever you skin an animal, you have to watch the same cutscene of John skinning the carcass again and again, which can get long if you're hunting bears or elk (there is a glitch which allows you to skip it if you park your horse over the animal and then skin it). RDR is one of the games of this generation hands down, and while you're at it, you can also play the excellent multiplayer and the phenomonal zombie apocalypse dlc undead nightmare. Fantastic overall Expand
  90. Jul 18, 2013
    This game was one that rode into the sunset with everything it did right finally a western game I can take my hat off to. This game taught me how to play poker how to be good a horseshoe throwing and how to ride horses bareback style. Everything from the single player to the multiplayer feels needed in the game going hunting, duels, posses and bounty's. Do yourself a favour next time youThis game was one that rode into the sunset with everything it did right finally a western game I can take my hat off to. This game taught me how to play poker how to be good a horseshoe throwing and how to ride horses bareback style. Everything from the single player to the multiplayer feels needed in the game going hunting, duels, posses and bounty's. Do yourself a favour next time you play this game put your Akubra hat on with a nice pair cowboy boots and pour yourself a glass of whiskey to add to the experience. This game gets a 9.6 from me and my guaranteed seal of approval Expand
  91. Jul 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a brilliant game this is.
    Red Dead Redemption has a compelling storyline which certainly dissuades you from skipping the conversations. With Rockstar making this game, you cannot help but compare the quality of this game to Grand Theft Auto. This is at a completely different standard to GTA, which makes me wonder why they have several games in the series and why this stands alone.
    Obviously, this is set in the Wild West and involves everything from duels to breaking up fights. You are an outlaw who is avenging the attempted murder by the equivalent to GTA's gangsters.

I cannot understand how people can rate this negatively, and bizarrely the reviews are made by people who for example can't spell the world "horse!"
  92. Nov 28, 2013
    The game just recreated reference western, even the Clint Eastwood did it. In terms of gameplay the truth is sagging because of similar assignments, but the setting and the mechanics of the game and well worth it. Try this game if you love westerns.
  93. Aug 10, 2013
    I loved this game. Great graphics, a very fun and engrossing setting. The whole atmosphere was steeped in Wild West themes and tropes that felt real and immersive. Game play was deep and rewarding, much like a GTA game (targeting, movement, etc). Horse riding/fighting is natural, hunting is addictive, world is appropriately dangerous, missions are dynamic. Some aspects of plot areI loved this game. Great graphics, a very fun and engrossing setting. The whole atmosphere was steeped in Wild West themes and tropes that felt real and immersive. Game play was deep and rewarding, much like a GTA game (targeting, movement, etc). Horse riding/fighting is natural, hunting is addictive, world is appropriately dangerous, missions are dynamic. Some aspects of plot are disappointing but only because the characters feel real and most players will care what happens to them. A must play. Expand
  94. Aug 11, 2013
    The graphics are ass-kicking. The storyline is awesome and you always wanna know what will happen next. I think the controls of the horses could be better, but you can deal with it. There is much "crap" that you can do, that make fun but i got tired of those things after about 5 hours. If you like the only one of the old classic Western-Movies you will love the dirty, "grity" style of RedThe graphics are ass-kicking. The storyline is awesome and you always wanna know what will happen next. I think the controls of the horses could be better, but you can deal with it. There is much "crap" that you can do, that make fun but i got tired of those things after about 5 hours. If you like the only one of the old classic Western-Movies you will love the dirty, "grity" style of Red Dead. The shooting system makes a lot of fun and it´s still makes fun after hours and hours of playing. I don´t think that it´s better than GTA 4, but i think it´s asa good as GTA. I would love to play this on my Hiht-End-Gaming-PC Expand
  95. Sep 2, 2013
    This Game is by far the best game I have played, Rockstar has combined awesome and addictive gameplay with an awesome story. Also Deadeye is just the most badass thing I have seen in a videogame.
  96. Sep 5, 2013
    now this is a good game I haven't played single player much as the multiplayer is good enough to justify whatever the cost is now. but that may be me. I have been playing this on and off for two ears now and still can't find a problem with it. very good game. just giving it 9/10 because it isn't my favorite game. glitches are funny too and not a bad thing at all.
  97. Sep 5, 2013
    Probably my favorite game of all time, Red Dead Redemption is an artful masterpiece. The characters, landscape, and animals are all impeccable crafted. Definitely a must-buy for any gamer.
  98. Feb 18, 2014
    OMG! This game (2. TLOU and 3.GTA V) is the best game I had ever played. Big, beautiful world, great story, won and one of the best main character ever. Thank you Rockstar.
  99. Sep 28, 2013
    Mi segunda compañía favorita de videojuegos es Rockstar, y con una sólida razón: sus juegos son impresionantes y hechos con suma importancia para que el público haga buen uso de ellos y gusten, y entre esos juegos se encuentra "Red Dead Redemption", un juego totalmente impresionante que, como todos sabemos es otra joya en el gran nido de Rockstar. Es un juego totalmente completo y digno deMi segunda compañía favorita de videojuegos es Rockstar, y con una sólida razón: sus juegos son impresionantes y hechos con suma importancia para que el público haga buen uso de ellos y gusten, y entre esos juegos se encuentra "Red Dead Redemption", un juego totalmente impresionante que, como todos sabemos es otra joya en el gran nido de Rockstar. Es un juego totalmente completo y digno de ser comprado y experimentar el lejano oeste como nunca antes lo has hecho. Expand
  100. Oct 10, 2013
    I agree with evreyone on the the fact that this game really is a 10/10 and that it is alot better than GTA 4 and if you are wondering why it is for these simple reasons the colours are so much more vibrant and realistic, the gameplay has the element thats called DEAD EYE and it really is one of the most amusing awesome modes for gameplay i have ever had the pleasure to use, and anotherI agree with evreyone on the the fact that this game really is a 10/10 and that it is alot better than GTA 4 and if you are wondering why it is for these simple reasons the colours are so much more vibrant and realistic, the gameplay has the element thats called DEAD EYE and it really is one of the most amusing awesome modes for gameplay i have ever had the pleasure to use, and another reason is that the controls are better, the sound is better, the world is full of different areas, so for example rich snowy mountains, scorching deserts and towns that show the industrial revolution at its finest. So the bottom line is that this game is a masterpiece and shows what develops can do if they put there mind to it,and they are rewarded or we are rewarded in having simply the BEST OPEN WORLD GAME EVER MADE and one of the best games ever in general. Expand
  101. Jan 28, 2013

1. The game perfectly captures the expansiveness of frontier life and the gritty gunplay of spaghetti westerns, rightfully earning its place alongside the great Western films and the best Rockstar games. [Issue#206, p.86]
  2. Rockstar's skill in creating a believable, functioning world with a distinct, coherent and consistent atmosphere is peerless. The broad-brush vision is masterful.
  3. Red Dead Redemption is a masterpiece. This game is the perfect example of how a developer should work to create the best atmosphere and to represent a beautiful historical situation. The graphics, the gameplay elements and everything else is at top level. Buy Red Dead Redemption, now!