8.7

1. Apr 5, 2014
    Story: 9.5 out of 10 Graphics: 9.5 out of 10 Gameplay: 9 out of 10 Fun: 9 out of 10 Controls: 9.5 out of 10
    Multiplayer: 8.5
    Ease to Learn: 9.5 out of 10
    Length: 9 out of 10
    Re-play: 8.5 out of 10
    Audio: 10 out of 10
    Bugs/Glitches: none
  2. Apr 1, 2014
    Good Game.. Great story, charismatic main character, voice acting, the ending was great and fantastic old west world (especially Mexico)..The only thing that kinda sucked was that some of the main story missions were very boring but besides that the game is fantastic.. The mini games are addicitve and well made (poker, liars dice etc..) ..If you are a fan of GTA series, then buy, if not, buy it anyway Expand
  3. Mar 27, 2014
    This game is the reason I got a PS3. This is like GTA but, with horses instead of cars and marshals instead of cops. The graphics are awesome, some people complain that covering vast distances with a horse is boring but I found the scenery amazing (besides, you’re gonna miss on the side-missions if you just skip the journeys). There’s a loose storyline yes, but in this game the focus is the gameplay. There’s a ton of fun things to do, from performing simple cowboy tasks like herding cows to patrolling towns for criminals or even deer hunting. Hell you can even bet your money on blackjack or poker. Unfortunately one negative aspect of the game for me is the music, or rather the lack of it as there’s too many moments of silence. Overall the game is amazing and if you buy this you’re in for a treat. Expand
  4. Mar 19, 2014
    Played this game right after it came out. A little buggy, but still makes anything Naughty Dog or Irrational Games made look like amateur hour, The Last of Us included.
  5. Mar 7, 2014
    Open world western at it's best. RDR captures the feeling of living as a cowboy perfectly, from herding cows, to shooting bandits, riding horses, playing cards in saloons. These mini-games are especially nice touch as you can spend hours and hours having fun playing dice, poker, blackjack... From the single-player standpoint it's almost perfect, good story, characters, immersive environment full of varied natural life, lots of different animal species, some missions might be a bit repetitive in a style of go there, shoot everyone, get back, but it keeps your attention and entertainment quite high all the way through and I loved the ending. My main complaint is a completely broken and annoying multiplayer, but as long as you keep it SP, it's an amazing western experience. 9/10 Expand
  6. Feb 19, 2014
    Rockstars Best game yet incredible World and a fascinating story.
    I am not a Big fan of most of thèrese open World games but this is really a game everything western fans hold play.
  7. Feb 18, 2014
    OMG! This game (2. TLOU and 3.GTA V) is the best game I had ever played. Big, beautiful world, great story, won and one of the best main character ever. Thank you Rockstar.
  8. Feb 8, 2014
    This is so boring. Go there and kill that guy. Go there and kill that guy. Also this is so incredibly easy. Where is the challenge ? There are lots of weapons but it makes no difference. They all feel the same. You can buy items at the shopkeepers but the items barely have an impact on the game. You can earn cash ... But there is nothing useful or fun that you can by with it. There is an hardcore mode but activating this mode requires you to restart the game from the beginning and go through the horribly painful tutorial where you play the role of a cow boy in a ranch.

There are side quests. Guess what ? Go there and kill that guy !

It could have been a nice game because the graphics and the music are nice.
  9. Jan 20, 2014
    Great game that is all i have to say with great graphics, amazing atmosphere and open world so why i only give it a 7/10 you may ask? Well, i found that the begining missions with bonnie and the late missions with johns family were realy dull and got me realy bored but the rest were all exciting and fantastic and i would have enjoyed the ending a bit more if my stupid friends didnt spoil it for me but i still realy enjoyed the single player to the point of actually getting 100%. Now the multiplayer was realy fun even when you are playing alone. I mean there is just so much that you can do that it is realy addicting but sadly the community is realy little nowadays and there are loads of hackers that steal your fun. If it wasnt for the online comunity this game would be an easy 10/10 especially with undead nightmare but if just want to beat the campaign then WTF are you doing. Expand
  10. Jan 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the only game I would consider perfect. Out of all the games I'v ever played, this is the best by a country mile.

First off, the change in direction was an absolutely brilliant move by Rockstar. I wasn't a big fan of GTA IV, so a breath of fresh air was definitely good. The new setting of The Wild West is fantastic, expansive and full of random events and things to discover. Hunting, Marksmanship and Treasure Hunting are just some of the things to do in this amazing world.

The graphics are superb. There are sometimes a few bugs, but otherwise they're flawless. Sunrise and Sunset look amazing, and the water graphics are also superb. The movement and appearance of humans and animals is great, especially horses. I'm still looking for a game that has better horse graphical animations than Red Dead Redemption.

The music is also flawless. Just look up the soundtrack if you don't believe me. It consists of your standard Wild West Saloon music to your licensed tracks, like the one as you enter Mexico. It's an unforgettable soundtrack and it adds to the game immensely.

The controls are spot on, and the introduction of Dead Eye is a welcome addition, especially when taking down animals or large groups of enemies. The weapon selection wheel is great for changing weapons or equipment quickly, and seeing how much ammunition you have for each gun before entering a fight. The controls are also great, as they add a new feel to the horses and how they're stamina is affected by galloping for long periods of time.

Storywise, this is my favourite game ever. Red Dead Redemption tells the story of John Marston, a former gang member, and how he is forced by Federal agents to take up his guns and hunt the men he once rode with in order to save his family. His journey takes him from ranches to the outback of Mexico, where he becomes a crucial figure in the Mexican Revolution. The addition of character with conscience in a Rockstar game is a welcome change, as it provides much more variety than your average mass-murdering sociopath offered by Grand Theft Auto. The game still allows you to go on murderous rampages, bu the new Honour system may discourage you as it decreases as you commit crimes and kill people, and it starts to affect how NPCs view you. Similar to this is Fame, which increases as you play through the story and perform big actions that affect the world. These two features are great as they add a sense of progression throughout the story as you become more notorious and well-known throughout The Wild West. The end of the game is an emotional one, and it will leave you questioning who's side you're on, before the Federal Agents finally betray John Marston and kill him. You are then allowed to play as John's son, Jack, and have the option of hunting John's killer and duelling him in a standoff for an alternative ending to the game. This addition is fantastic as it means the game doesn't end on a sad note, and it allows you to find redemption for Jack Marston.

Overall I cannot recommend this game more. If it isn't a PS3 Essential/Platinum title, it should be. It earns it's title as my favourite game ever, and I'm sure it will make an impression on you to. If you don't own this game; grab it before you're sucked into another story-driven game on Next-Gen.
  11. Dec 31, 2013
    I'll start with the things you (like me) probably won't like. There's a lot of repetition, the animation sequences for picking up ammo, flowers and skinning animals will grind, especially since you might be doing it as many as ten times in a row. The constant tapping of X to run and to drive the horse will at first be irritating, though you will get used to it so as you don't notice you're even doing it. You will get tired of being poor and of being told there are new items at the gun store only to find it's just ammo you got from corpses anyhow. You probably won't really start to enjoy the game until quite far in actually. There isn't a lot to do in the world besides hunt so you better learn to enjoy the slow pace and atmosphere of the game, something it really does well I think. I'm sure so far this is putting you off the game, but hold your horses and read on.

Tips: When you're on a cart with some other character don't skip it, those conversations really help build the story, which isn't delivered in an in-your-face sort of way.

This game felt to me like one of those books that you force yourself to read, all the while wondering why you're bothering yet stubbornly you push on with that 'I've started so I'll finish' mentality and by the time you finish it you sit in stunned silence realising that this book is the greatest book you've ever read. In a similar fashion I had to wait a couple of days before I could bring myself to play another game, I had to have time to process it all. It was more than just a game, it was an experience!

As for Undead Nightmare there's only a couple of problems: The button press icon to pick ammo up from corpses doesn't show up reliably. There could be more story cut-scenes. Since it's basically just fun DLC though it's amazingly full featured. The need to conserve ammo and actually run away from the undead coupled with the fact that even when you're armed to the teeth later on you can still die surprisingly easily will keep you on your toes, which is exactly what you want in a zombie game. Undead Nightmare does a surprisingly good job of capturing that survival horror feeling from the early Resident Evil games, and the setting is a nice change for a zombie game!
  12. Dec 20, 2013
    Unforgettable experience. Only 2 games last gen give me deep empathy. RDR is one of. This is not only a game but also a fantastic cultural journey in american west appearing to be barren but hiding endless charm.
    In addition, RDR recalls me Ocarina of Time so how in gameplay and atmosphere.
  13. Dec 11, 2013
    I liked the first hours. Let me begin by saying that I'm not a sandbox guy. I don't really like just doing stuff in the world, I never know what to do. I need missions and storyline. So based on that, I liked the first hours. But after a while I got bored, and by the ending I was just playing because I wanted to complete is, didn't pay off. GTA IV payed off at the end of the story, this one this not. Except for that, I had about the same experience, and GTA IV was never really a drag. Expand
  14. Dec 7, 2013
    Rockstar nailed the look and feel of this game. There's great visual fidelity, and some of the best sound design a game has ever had. There is a mission where you go with a character named irish to mexico, and the ending that leaves you riding through mexico at sunrise with a great song will give you goosebumps. The story is excellent, and has plenty of wacky characters for you to meet, my only gripe is that the story seems like the story keeps going on and on forever. The ending also left me feeling EXTREMELY underwhelmed. It felt like I had dumped 50 hours into the game, and had no idea why. The gameplay is across the board very good, with some standouts and some missed notes. Gunplay, horse controls, deuling, and hunting are excellent, along with the slo-mo dead eye shooting mode which allows you to tag multiple targets and helps you pull off impressive kills/get out of sticky situations. I don't like how whenever you skin an animal, you have to watch the same cutscene of John skinning the carcass again and again, which can get long if you're hunting bears or elk (there is a glitch which allows you to skip it if you park your horse over the animal and then skin it). RDR is one of the games of this generation hands down, and while you're at it, you can also play the excellent multiplayer and the phenomonal zombie apocalypse dlc undead nightmare. Fantastic overall Expand
  15. ERB
    Nov 30, 2013
    Red Dead Redemption is one of the games in the PS3 console we will always remember.The game looks so real and the graphics in this game is beautiful.The world in this game huge and it is fun adventuring the whole world of red dead redemption.The horses in this game looks awesome and I love riding the horses in this game.It is fun!You can also go to bars and drink beer.After you drink so many beers your character will go drunk which is funny.The guns in this game is also cool and my favorite gun is the Mauser Pistol"The Mauser Pistol is a gun from Germany".There are just not one country here but there are two in this game.You can adventure America And Mexico.I'll give the graphics in this game a score of 3/3 and the world of Red Dead Redemption a score of 2/2.

The game play in this game is fun.There is this new bullet time"Like Max Payne"which is called the Dead Eye.The dead eye allows you to not get any damage while Dead Eye is active.The Dead Eye also allows you to put an x marks on the enemy and when you shot with your gun the bullets are fired on where you put x marks on the enemy.The Dead Eye is so cool.It is fun playing in an open world game especially when you are in the Wild West.The game play is fun and I love It!The game play gets a score of 2/2.

The most important thing in this game is the story.The story of John Marston begins when the law captured John's family and the law told him to kill the criminals whom they are John's formal gang mates and friends.The friends he had before are notorious criminals.Now John is forced to pick up his guns and kill who the law are asking him to kill.The story of Red Dead Redemption is interesting and the ending in this game is so touching that it really made me cry in a good way.I love this game Red Dead Redemption is a legendary game for the PS3.Thank you Rockstar for making this game.This game is incredible.We all love this game.I'm giving the story of this game a score of 3/3.Combine all the scores for this game and It gets a 10/10!This game is legendary and I recommend you people to buy this game now and try playing it.I promise you people you will love this game.Rockstar please make a sequel for Red Dead Redemption.I love this game.I love Red Dead Redemption.
  16. Nov 28, 2013
    The game just recreated reference western, even the Clint Eastwood did it. In terms of gameplay the truth is sagging because of similar assignments, but the setting and the mechanics of the game and well worth it. Try this game if you love westerns.
  17. Nov 25, 2013
    I Loved that game, it was quite awesome, it's the best old-west game i'v ever seen, the story got it's cliches but still a good history and the graphics are awesome, the bad part of this game is that he has a lot of bugs.
  18. Nov 22, 2013
    one of my greatest decision was choosing Red Dead Redemption over GTA 4. saw some GTA 4 walkthrough and felt like a blant colourless game. Red Dead is so far the best from Rockstar games. tons of missions and side missions and lots more content as compared to any other games. Red Dead is a mix od ruthless western era, classic gunplay, riding like a cowboy, hunting down anything that comes in your way. it took way more time to complete 100% it was not high on graphics and a few bugs which was solved after the patch it had Undead Nightmare free in the game of the year version. what else would anyone want buy 1 get 1 free Expand
  19. Nov 19, 2013
    Un gran juego, no mucho de mi gusto pero no esta mal, aun asi, lo recomiendo, pero me da pena que se centre mas en el online que en el modo historia, aun asi me gusto bastante el juego y estando a 40€ pues...si podeis pillaroslo, hacedlo ^^ no os arrepintireis, esta muy bien el juego de verdad, destacaria mucho que es un sandbox muy grande, pero aun asi, no se si merece la pena para los no muy amantes del juego y mas encima viniendo con el de zombis ^^ Expand
  20. Nov 12, 2013
    A terrific sandbox game set in a fictional old-west. Everything you've heard about the graphics and sound are true. Good voice acting and a compelling storyline keep things moving while the side quests and mini games keep everything interesting. The game is only marred by a sloppy control scheme that takes a LOT of getting used to, and a ridiculous, cumbersome save system. I would have also liked it if the setting had been based on actual places in the old west instead of a fictional southwestern state. In all, though, a fun, gigantic game that very much lives up to the hype. Expand
  21. Nov 12, 2013
    Hi, this is my first ever review so apologizes for any newbish mistakes or errors =)

For me this game was near perfection but first of let me list the couple of minor complaints i had with red dead: My first issue with the game is its slow introduction and what I mean by that is that the first few missions you do for Bonnie (those who have played the game know of whom i am talking
    about) seemed a bit sluggish and unnecessary. My other compliant is that herding animals e.g. horses and cows seemed a bit confused i could never get them to go quite were i wanted them no matter how hard i tried.

Now i have listed the negatives let me tell you the positives (and there are allot) the games story is fantastic and i felt the game did a perfect job of putting you in John Marston's (the protagonist) shoes, secondly the graphics in this game (even though they don't really impact a game for me) are fantastic the world feels vast and is full of things to do. That leaves the mp and game play I for one thought that the game play was very solid and suited the game well as for the multi player i did not play it too much but its a worthwhile feature and i'm glad its there.

If you managed to read through all that you have my thanks If you haven't already please give this game a go you wont regret it
  22. Nov 7, 2013
    I´ve cried. I´ve cried alright. That´s how much you get attached to the characters. A gorgeous, open world with awesome graphics, an awsome gameplay. It´s an absolutely Rockstar -ish game. And the multiplayer, undead nightmare and the dlc´s make what´s perfect more perfect. Once you beat the story 100% is really great and hard. A 10. No less
  23. Oct 31, 2013
    This game kept me on the screen for a long time, i spent numerous days all day long playing it and enjoying every second of it, it looks amazing, it has numerous fun side missions, funny dialogue, you get an amazing feel like if you really were a cowboy in the wild west, great story, cool events on the streets like dueling for example, poker and liar's dice which are two amazing mini games...
    This game is the best game rockstar has ever made, yes it is better then GTA V and any other R* game
    RDR rules.
  24. Oct 29, 2013
    Red Dead Redemption is a five star game. Unique and one of a kind. From main story missions to side missions and all. Everything about this game will keep you hooked until the end.
  25. Oct 19, 2013
    An epic western but in video game form. Red Dead Redemption is an epic open world sandbox set in the last days of the Old West in 1911. The story revolves around John Marston, a former outlaw who tried to leave behind his old way of life and start a family, but this is turned on it's head when the government takes his wife and son away and forces him to hunt down members of his old gang.

Gameplay wise it is pretty much a reskin of GTA IV, but this is not as bad as it sounds because the mechanics from GTA IV work better in RDR than they do in GTA IV. A new mechanic in the game is the Dead Eye feature where you can slow down time and manually point targets on your enemies and then quickly fire the shots with dead accuracy, Dead Eye is incredibly satisfying to use and a good implementation into the game.

Being an open world game has its merits and its flaws for this game. On one hand you have this beautiful sprawling open world with the Frontier and Mexico with beautiful vistas and varied locations, but you'll spend most of your time looking at a horses backside because everything is so spaced out (a trick is to just set a waypoint and use a campfire to fast travel there).

Final Thoughts: Buy This Game, completely worth it.
  26. Oct 18, 2013
    This game is boring. It’s Grand Theft Auto in the Old West, which may sound intriguing until you actually play it for a while and discover that something as simple as moving your “vehicle” in reverse has become a tedious pain in the butt. Not to mention that riding a horse is flat out nowhere near as fun as driving a car and removes most of the things that make the GTA sandbox fun (different types of vehicles, stunt jumps, etc).

Everything down to the gameplay structure & unnecessarily long cutscenes during missions is the same as GTA4. You unlock mission givers and have to travel to them from your save point, then to the mission objective, then back to the save point, over & over again. Except, as I mentioned, you’re on a horse instead of in a car. The graphics on PS3 are also disappointing, just like GTA4.

There is allegedly some incredible story buried in this game, but good luck finding it. I played for about 20 hours and never encountered it (also a lot like GTA4). I completely lost interest in whatever was going on after doing my umpteenth random task for whats-her-name the cattle rancher. The sidequests are even worse. I can’t imagine how mind-numbing it would be to try and reach 100% completion on this game.

If you have a serious hard-on for the Old West, horses, and moving slowly over mostly empty & bleak terrain, this game is your huckleberry. Otherwise, steer clear.
  27. Oct 15, 2013
    Beautiful, exciting and a game that keeps you going for hours and hours. Sadly quite buggy when it first came out, something that snapped you back to reality in no-time from the otherwise great immersion.
  28. Oct 14, 2013
    Rockstar have outdone themselves with this one, the obvious main focus is the story and it is a brilliant one that will take you all the way across this big map, all of the little events that pop up while you are roaming around add that little bit extra to the game so you have to be quick thinking or you could end up dead or walking the rest of the way to your destination, the graphics are great and the environment is beautiful and there is so much to explore, there is a ton of character development through the as well as a tone of back story on number of character on the way to this game is the bench mark for all open world games and to date nothing has bettered it and we might have to wait until we see a Red Dead Redemption sequel for it to be bettered Expand
  29. Oct 10, 2013
    I agree with evreyone on the the fact that this game really is a 10/10 and that it is alot better than GTA 4 and if you are wondering why it is for these simple reasons the colours are so much more vibrant and realistic, the gameplay has the element thats called DEAD EYE and it really is one of the most amusing awesome modes for gameplay i have ever had the pleasure to use, and another reason is that the controls are better, the sound is better, the world is full of different areas, so for example rich snowy mountains, scorching deserts and towns that show the industrial revolution at its finest. So the bottom line is that this game is a masterpiece and shows what develops can do if they put there mind to it,and they are rewarded or we are rewarded in having simply the BEST OPEN WORLD GAME EVER MADE and one of the best games ever in general. Expand
  30. Oct 5, 2013
    Um dos melhores games da historia. Nunca gastei meu dinheiro tão bem quando o comprei, recomendo a todos, quem não gostou do jogo, me chupa ou vai dar na zona.
  31. Oct 5, 2013
    rockstar truly make the best games this game is great, nothing like the good old western days mounted on the back of a horse shooting crazy lunatics and cowboys with a great story and character to back it up
  32. Sep 28, 2013
    Mi segunda compañía favorita de videojuegos es Rockstar, y con una sólida razón: sus juegos son impresionantes y hechos con suma importancia para que el público haga buen uso de ellos y gusten, y entre esos juegos se encuentra "Red Dead Redemption", un juego totalmente impresionante que, como todos sabemos es otra joya en el gran nido de Rockstar. Es un juego totalmente completo y digno de ser comprado y experimentar el lejano oeste como nunca antes lo has hecho. Expand
  33. Sep 25, 2013
    Pros 1. Huge world that makes you feel like you're in the wild west. 2. Excellent storyline and voice acting 3. Graphics off in the distance are excellent the changing weather against the landscape brings the world alive. Negative 1. I don't see the point in all the weapons when they are barely needed as they all do the same thing and none of the missions are challenging enough to make you feel like a need to swap through them much.
    2. The missions are repetitive and many can be very boring

Overall a very good game, but don't believe the hype. It's good, but no more than that.
  34. Sep 8, 2013
    Great game. Sometimes a little bit boring, when you must ride from one piece of map to other but random quests and possibility of fast transfer is solving this problem. Very good game, i pray gtav (its only o e week to this) will take this great conditions and positive moments of this game.
  35. Sep 5, 2013
    now this is a good game I haven't played single player much as the multiplayer is good enough to justify whatever the cost is now. but that may be me. I have been playing this on and off for two ears now and still can't find a problem with it. very good game. just giving it 9/10 because it isn't my favorite game. glitches are funny too and not a bad thing at all.
  36. Sep 5, 2013
    Probably my favorite game of all time, Red Dead Redemption is an artful masterpiece. The characters, landscape, and animals are all impeccable crafted. Definitely a must-buy for any gamer.
  37. Sep 2, 2013
    This Game is by far the best game I have played, Rockstar has combined awesome and addictive gameplay with an awesome story. Also Deadeye is just the most badass thing I have seen in a videogame.
  38. Aug 11, 2013
    The graphics are ass-kicking. The storyline is awesome and you always wanna know what will happen next. I think the controls of the horses could be better, but you can deal with it. There is much "crap" that you can do, that make fun but i got tired of those things after about 5 hours. If you like the only one of the old classic Western-Movies you will love the dirty, "grity" style of Red Dead. The shooting system makes a lot of fun and it´s still makes fun after hours and hours of playing. I don´t think that it´s better than GTA 4, but i think it´s asa good as GTA. I would love to play this on my Hiht-End-Gaming-PC Expand
  39. Aug 11, 2013
    A perfect western sandbox game. There's enough content here to last you hundreds of hours.

It really seems rockstar can do no wrong when it comes to sandbox genre.

The protagonist of the story is a really memorable one, much better than the ones in gta series.
  40. Aug 10, 2013
    I loved this game. Great graphics, a very fun and engrossing setting. The whole atmosphere was steeped in Wild West themes and tropes that felt real and immersive. Game play was deep and rewarding, much like a GTA game (targeting, movement, etc). Horse riding/fighting is natural, hunting is addictive, world is appropriately dangerous, missions are dynamic. Some aspects of plot are disappointing but only because the characters feel real and most players will care what happens to them. A must play. Expand
  41. Aug 9, 2013
    Better late than never.

RDR is a fine game plagued by some annoying design decisions: the controls are absolutely dreadful, and the fast travel save system is cumbersome and annoying. The story, however, is entertaining, most of the time, if you don't take it seriously. Some of the characters, while cliché, are humorous and endearing, which helps pass the time when traveling on
    horseback from mission to mission. The latter part of the story was one of the most amazing gaming experiences I have ever had.

Where the game really shines, however, is in the atmosphere. The graphics, sound, animations and features such as cattle-herding, horse-breaking, skinning and hunting, etc., really get you immersed in the game world. It's a shame they are not really meaningful to the development of your character, or I'd have given this game a 10.
  42. Jul 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a brilliant game this is.
    Red Dead Redemption has a compelling storyline which certainly dissuades you from skipping the conversations. With Rockstar making this game, you cannot help but compare the quality of this game to Grand Theft Auto. This is at a completely different standard to GTA, which makes me wonder why they have several games in the series and why this stands alone.
    Obviously, this is set in the Wild West and involves everything from duels to breaking up fights. You are an outlaw who is avenging the attempted murder by the equivalent to GTA's gangsters.

I cannot understand how people can rate this negatively, and bizarrely the reviews are made by people who for example can't spell the world "horse!"
  43. Jul 21, 2013
    Rockstar did it again.Script is awesome and emotionally,excellent gun,horse etc. mechanics,Large map,a lot of atmospheres,Content is really enough.Undisputed Top 3 western games of all time and top 30 games of all-time.Masterpiece.
  44. Jul 18, 2013
    There have been tried and failed attempts to modernise the Western setting for video games, Hollywood had quite the hype with its over abundance of Spaghetti Westerns, yet they never truly left their mark on the gaming world. But when Rockstar announced that they would be creating a "spiritual sequel" to Red Dead Revolver, the air became ripe with anticipation at the thought of the developers of the hugely popular Grand Theft Auto series. Many began to assume that the game would be "Grand Theft Horses" yet while many of the gameplay elements of GTA come across to this Western genre, the statement couldn't be further from the truth.
    In true Western style, Red Dead Redemption captures all the glory, guts and gallantry that we have come to know from countless films and pop culture. Combining a fascinating yet heartbreaking story centred around the outlaw turned neutral cowboy John Marston, a man who wants to right his past wrongs and settle down with his family...easier said than done.
    As we are introduced to our protagonist, we also get a glimpse of the massive, sprawling and beautiful frontier we will soon get to explore at will. Every mechanic is polished to the point of near-perfection, whether you want to go out capture bounties or simply kill them, you can target various body parts or even shoot their hats off, the attention to detail is really quite mesmerising, from the vibrant wildlife to the inhabitants of the various towns, watching drunken men stagger home or watching women being chased and choosing whether to intervene or not. Much of this decision making takes place throughout the game, you could be the most villainous man to walk the prairie or be a legend and hero in the west, whatever you please and however you see fit.
    With this comes the very realistic gameplay approach that Rockstar have become accustomed to, horses move and gallop in a very realistic motion, they have stamina like the rest of us, the gunfights and shooting mechanics have come a long away since GTA IV, combining fluid and fast-paced style with enjoyable and simplistic ease. This works brilliantly with expansive world that Rockstar have created, with vast expanses of detailed deserts or snowy mountaintops filled with all sorts of wildlife that can be killed and skinned for money, or which contribute to contribute to upgrading the wardrobe of Marston. The open world and freedom comes into play in force as you can play a shoot em' up style by killing everything in site, or save damsels and men being chased by wild dogs, why not help the local sheriff clear out s gang hideout or be in it for yourself and max out your character until you see fit.
    In terms of the story, it can feel a little forced and sometimes lacking in surprise, with many objectives consisting of learning the ropes if surviving the Wild West, sometime when a mission seems over, it keeps going, and many of the decisions John Marston makes can directly oppose the personality they he has been moulded in. But this does indeed take a drastic turn in the closing moments of the story, a triumph amongst video game endings that sits among the best finales ever seen.
    The game delivers a homage and callback to pretty much everything we have come to know about the Old West, the taverns, the horseback, the beautiful horizon, the duels in the muddy street with a brave onlooker, and the beauty of the place may just sit with you, in awe and amazement and general satisfaction for another success for Rockstar.
    Whether you are veteran in the GTA universe or a fan of the Westerns of yesteryear, Red Dead Redemption brings everything to the table, giving the player ultimate freedom and endless capabilities to roam the massive frontier, it's safe to say that this could well be a masterpiece, and from a personal level a true triumph in gaming and quite possibly among the greatest.
  45. Jul 18, 2013
    This game was one that rode into the sunset with everything it did right finally a western game I can take my hat off to. This game taught me how to play poker how to be good a horseshoe throwing and how to ride horses bareback style. Everything from the single player to the multiplayer feels needed in the game going hunting, duels, posses and bounty's. Do yourself a favour next time you play this game put your Akubra hat on with a nice pair cowboy boots and pour yourself a glass of whiskey to add to the experience. This game gets a 9.6 from me and my guaranteed seal of approval Expand
  46. Jul 5, 2013
    It is impossible to say that Red Dead Redemption is a bad game. It is a unique open world with a unique world to explore that only Rockstar could create. John Marston is a character with whom I most identified, is a special character. Throughout the game the player encounters unusual characters, and dangerous, but they are just to emphasize the world in which the player is inserted. There are many activities to do, and a world to explore, there are several ways to earn money and to top it off, this game features a multiplayer that is worth being played. The game has a few bugs, but those bugs are the price to pay for one of the best looking games around. Expand
  47. Jul 4, 2013
    For an open-world game this seriously lacks the RPG elements, there is no crafting, upgrading of any serious kind, or choice. While the narrative does have some moments where you can make decisions, they have little to no impact, and to my deepest regret they really punish you if you want to be a bad guy. Who doesn't love playing an open world game where you can do some morally questionable things here and there without to much repercussions.

However these are just nitpicks in comparison to the major problem: The game is boring! Now the story is very good, especially the ending (which I will not spoil here.) The combat is also really fun, engaging, and really makes you feel like you are in a western...when it happens. There is a lot of ridding around, A LOT OF RIDDING AROUND!!! The sceneries are nice and graphically amazing but they quickly become boring and pointless. This really ruins the game in my opinion because it sucks it dry of whatever fun the combat brought. My favorite part of the game was actually the last third, which was a pleasant surprise after the grudging middle section. The reason I liked this section so much though was because you stay in one area for most of the missions, which involved a lot less meandering and a lot more of the awesome western combat.

I feel like most every review for this game is way off, either it gains way too much praise for its scenery and beautiful graphics, with no mention of how far too often that occurs. OR it receives an overload of hatred where even the best parts were criticized. Overall it has its ups and downs, is definitely way too overrated, but not a bad game either, it is decent enough to earn a 6 out of 10.
  48. Jul 3, 2013
    It is impossible to say that Red Dead Redemption is a bad game. It is a unique open world with a unique world to explore that only Rockstar could create. John Marston is a character with whom I most identified, is a special character, who just wants his family back. Throughout the game the player encounters unusual characters, and dangerous, but they are just to emphasize the world in which the player is inserted. There are many activities to do, and a world to explore, there are several ways to earn money and to top it off, this game features a multiplayer that is worth being played. The game has a few bugs, but those bugs is the price to pay for one of the best looking games around. Expand
  49. Jul 3, 2013
    The best game I have ever played on PS3. It is like Grand Theft Auto but set in the Midwest with a much better story line. I actually found myself immersed in my character. The best part is this game is entertaining for months. Its not like Uncharted (after you beat it in two-three days your done. This game I actually can play again and again.
  50. Jul 2, 2013
    The story is perfect and was really worth doing, you sure won't regret following it. The gameplay is fun, but can be a bit repetitive. Your riding your horse most of the time, but what would you expect with an open world wild west game? The game sure has some flaws, but is a great experience. The real bad thing about this game are the awful minigames. I played all of them and disliked them, really terrible that you have to do those minigames for the 100%. Expand
  51. Jun 27, 2013
    I was wary of how well an old western setting could be made into a video game, but this one nailed it. RDR has a great story, setting and mechanics. And just when you thought it couldn't get any better, they release "The Undead Nightmare" and throw a twist on everything, but it's great.
  52. Jun 27, 2013
    This game shows why rockstar is one of the most beloved game company's in the world, with its utterly amazing: RED DEAD REDEMPTION. The graphics are stellar, the map is massive, detailed, and full of life, gameplay is fun and addicting, and the story is absolutely fantastic. I simply have nothing to complain about except for very few bugs and glitches, which won't be penalised, as I think it's 100% impossible to make a game without some technical errors. In short, this game is a masterpiece, and unmissable experience. Expand
  53. Jun 22, 2013
    the game is perfect!
    the plot is very interesting and you have a lot things to do, like story mission, side missions and perfect multiplayer.
    everyone must play this game!
  54. Jun 20, 2013
    Red Dead Redemption. I'll admit I love the wild west, like Doc Brown from Back to the Future I would definitely go back to this time period. In this case, I don't think even Doc Brown could tell the difference as this is one of the most amazing experiences I have had in a video game. It made me angry, happy, sad, excited and sometimes downright evil. Rockstar really made another masterpiece. You feel like a real cowboy from gunning down civilians to robbing trains to bounty hunting varmints on horseback. This is the definitive western experience that does not require a time machine. Expand
  55. Jun 19, 2013
    One of the best games ever made for the PS3. Beautiful, fun, characters are great, open world, great story. So much better than GTA IV (thought GTA IV characters and stories were lacking). But in short, this is a must have for any person that owns a PS3.
  56. Jun 17, 2013
    I can't believe that this game has a lower score than GTA4.It is clearly the better game.Interesting side missions,fun characters, yup this is for me the best game for this generation.
  57. Jun 14, 2013
    RDR is likely my favorite game of all time. I've been playing games since 1975 and I've seen a lot.
    The atmosphere, music, dialogues, characters... everything is done in a way where the game is very
    immersive. I remember looking forward to play the game after work just to escape and relax. A true MASTERPIECE. Likely the only game I will give a 10.
  58. Jun 1, 2013
    Red Dead Redemption's main story, the overall game play and quality of the characters are top notch. All the characters in the game are unique and deliver that sarcastic dark humor that existed in the GTA4 world. The game can be faulted on its outdated graphics, the time it takes to travel to and from a location and the constant mission retries to get the highest rating for the maximum fame. The multi-player aspect of the game is entertaining with a number of game modes available to play with. Leveling up is a grind and with many legacy levels out there the player will lose interest quite quickly. There are a few online trophies that are difficult and very frustrating. Overall an enjoyable experience. Expand
  59. Jun 1, 2013
    I have never played a better western game. How they got all the elements right is beyond me. The horse riding, gunplay, environment and game mechanics deliver a truly western gaming legend. Absolute proof that Rockstar has what it takes to make the next GTA and RDR as good as we want it to be and much more.
  60. May 9, 2013
    This is the best game that i have ever played! Period! Red Dead Redemption nails absolutely everything! Everything about this game is absolutely epic: from the amazing story, the awesome characters, the spectacular graphics and atmosphere, all the way to an outstanding multiplayer and co-op modes! Red Dead Redemption will most likely continue to be the best game i've ever played all the way up until the next Red Dead game! Expand
  61. May 3, 2013
    If I had to describe Red Dead Redemption in one word, it would be Masterpiece. I'll keep this short, my favourite game with amazing story, graphics, gameplay, side missions, hell everything!
  62. Apr 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Possibly the most overrated, boring, pointless pile of crap I have ever played, parts where I thought it was going to get things right it failed on every level. So many fanboys of this game. Which is one of the reasons its hyped to be one of the best games every created. It's not. As much as I wanted to get into this game with it's INCREDIBLY high production value and great graphics it was just a slow boring game.

One of the things that made it most disappointing for me was how much it was hyped to be a open world SANDBOX game. It is not. Sure you can go anywhere you want but there is litterily no point. Hunting? Pffft. There's no crafting system for this game for hunting so really if you skin an animal the only thing to do with it is to sell it for a few bucks. That's it. There is not much else to do in this game besides buy a few weapons or items. You may have a little bit of fun with shooting up a entire town, but the shooting mechanics are so dull and boring that theres no fun before getting rushed by the police and getting absolutely murdered because of it's GOD AWFUL cover system.

Bottom line is if you want to buy this game for a open world do whatever you want western experience this is NOT your game. However if you want a single player 20 hour game with a ok story and average missions then sure rent it and complete it in 2 or 3 days. But after that theres no reason to replay this game. Another thing I was dissopointed with is the HUGE lack in quests. I swear in the entire game there's probably 25 quests at the most. Over a 20 hour experience. Each quest will take you about 10-20 minutes to complete. This should not be classified as a RPG, considering there's no powerups or leveling up tree of any kind and the interior of the game is just dull in a lot of ways.

The multiplayer for this game is no different. It's a boring average 3rd person game with no mechanics to call its own other than a quickdraw to start the match off and dead eye as a kill streak. Not much else.

I will give the game credit for it's 20 hour story that will give you a little entertainment but beyond that this game does not deserver a 10 because of it's lack of replayability, open world dissopointments as advertised, and many other dissopointments as well.

What you have is a boring western shooter with not much epicness going for it. Thanks for wasting my money rockstar.

The multiplayer is barely worth mentioning.
  63. Apr 25, 2013
    Red Dead Redemption is the best game I ever played so far because of its amzing story, gameplay, character, voice acting, side mission, minigames like poker and that sort of things and its world which is a varied world full of beautifull scenarios and to make even better a kickass multiplayer full of competitive modes and a free roam multiplayer which serves for your "lobby" where you can team up with friends kill everybody while you try to join or create a game. This game just blows my mind in every single way.
    I suggest you buy right now and start the shooting cowboys because this the game of the year.
  64. Apr 23, 2013
    This is the best game I have ever played. It is much better than GTA IV. The story line is great, characters are awesome and the missions are really cool. This game also has amazing graphics.
  65. Apr 16, 2013
    I first bought Red Dead Redemption not longer after it was originally released. I played the first chapter, which sets up John Marston's character, but then I forgot to keep playing it and only got going again about 6 months later. What a mistake I made! Once I got playing again, I fell in love with everything about this game, the story, the setting, the music, gameplay, the lot....it pulls you in and you don't want to let go of the controller. RDR is an open world RPG/action game, following the story of a betrayed outlaw, John Marston. He sets off in search of those who screwed him over, as well as trying to find the whereabouts of his wife and son. All this taking place against the backdrop of the mystical American Frontier. If you follow only the main storyline, you would be looking at a good 20-30 hours of gameplay, and easily double that if you want to finish all the other side missions of the single player campaign...even then I think I had only achieved 50% of all the available trophies. The graphics are superb and really capture the magic of the American west and Mexican frontier, something which I am always fond of in movies. The music too really helps capture the atmosphere and the Jose Gonzalez song in particular, which plays at a specific point in the game, tops it off. When I finished the single player campaign in full, I really felt saddened by having that part of it end. Another reviewer mentioned this as being better than GTA 4 I agree, without doubt. So, while it does chew up so big gameplay hours, this is a must play console game. Expand
  66. Apr 7, 2013
    Red Dead Redemption is number 3 on my favorite games of all times list. This game is utterly perfect I cannot think of anything I could possibly change to improve this game. The story is the most interesting and enthralling I have yet to play in a game every character John Martston (who has become my favorite video game character of all time) are interesting and or hilarious. The gun play is unbelievably fun and bad-ass. The horse riding is perfect I know its a little rough but that's exactly how riding a horse is. The side quests are varied and interesting. The costume quests are addicting and rewarding since every costume is awesome. The graphics are jaw dropping. The voice acting is perfect. The weapons are varied. Multiplayer is awesome. The ending is possibly the greatest in video game history. There is at least 30 hours of game play in this game so it is worth the price.I cannot recommend this game enough it is a milestone and and must be played. Expand
  67. Apr 6, 2013
    Never have I seen such an immersive world with a plethora of engaging stuff to do. Fun stuff that doesn't feel tacked-on; mini-games, side-missions, main missions, multiplayer. The world is detailed and intricate, it totally fits the style of the early 1900's western feel. The storyline is also compelling and is full of twists you won't see coming, complete with superb voice acting. Its ending by the way was so unexpected and was one of those truly great "Oh s***!" moments in gaming. There is so much stuff to do in this game, I mean Rockstar really went all out. It is truly a spectacle witnessing such a great game ascending to such heights. There is so much to mention and it is all so solid that I just can't find a fault with anything in the game. Yes, there a few bugs every now and then but they're never a detriment to the game, if anything they even enhance the experience with how ridiculously funny they are. I cannot recommend enough that you spend your hard-earned cash on this game. Trust me, you won't regret it. Expand
  68. Apr 1, 2013
    THE GOOD STUFF: - Rich, engaging script and narrative that makes you want to keep playing until the end. - Well-written and believable characters. - Stunning graphics, which leads to gorgeous vistas and landscapes. - Fun and rewarding gameplay, both offline and on. - You actually feel like a cowboy. LESS OF THESE PLEASE - Nothing of note. Seriously. If you haven't played this, then what the hell are you doing reading this. Go out and buy this game immediately. Expand
  69. Mar 25, 2013
    One of the best environments I've ever seen in a video game. It makes you feel like you're in the wild west. Rockstar always has really great voice acting and storytelling. This game may be their best.
  70. Mar 16, 2013
    This fantastic game with deep storyline played more with my emotions that any other game I remember. It's masterpiece with great graphics, very good control mechanics and absolutely brilliant game-play and story. It's not just GTA in Wild West. It's living world you will be sucked into.
  71. Mar 15, 2013
    Really enjoyable, but mediocre experience. Too much horse riding, duel system is awful, dead eye feels useless, there is no real need to aim(the game has inbuilt aimbot), most of the missions are either repetitive or boring, story is not interesting, there are too many strange story related characters, you cannot really choose what to do(only in which order you do things), there isn't any choices that would affect the story or the way people see you, the performance is awful(runs 15-25fps and sometimes even drops around 5fps). I still gave it 7 because I sort of enjoyed it and there are not many western games. Expand
  72. Mar 12, 2013
    If you want open world game with great western adventures, cool multiplayer, great graphics and .e.t.c. Then you should get this amazing game without no doubt!
  73. Mar 7, 2013
    I feel complete playing this game. That's something I've never said before for a game, and something that probably won't be said again in a long time (until Bioshock Infinite maybe) but seriously, this game will change your life. For better.
  74. Mar 6, 2013
    It`s the best game I`ve ever played, in decades of gaming. What can I say about the immersive plot, the enormous open map, the beautiful soundtrack, the perfect gameplay. And the ending just makes you want to cry. You can almost feel everything John Marston feels, it simply feels like a movie that you can control. Legen, wait for it, dary!
  75. Feb 26, 2013
    Amazing game, wonderful, love the theme, the genre, the music, graphics etc. GTA in the wild west. If for whatever reason you don't have this game, and are looking for something to do on the PS3, get it now!
  76. Feb 24, 2013
    Really I'd give this an 8.5. This is a large game with plenty to do: main quests, bounty hunting, outfit collecting, poker, completing challenges, you name it. You'll be quite occupied and always striving to get that game completion up to 100%. The 3rd person shooter combat is always engaging, and Dead Eye (slowing down time and pinpointing shots) makes you feel legendary. The environments really feel Western, which was the whole point. The story's pretty weak though. You're always after the goal of getting your family back by bringing down an old gang, but you just happen to get sidetracked a couple of times. I really wasn't engrossed in the plot at all. The weak story and the repetitive random encounters are the only gripes I have with this game. Expand
  77. Feb 20, 2013
    Easily one of the best games of the current generation of consoles. It plays like a more polished, Wild West version of GTA but is superior to Rockstar's flagship franchise in nearly every conceivable way. Plain and simple, if you like the Wild West, third person shooters, sand box games, and games with great storytelling than RDR is a can't miss game. The gunplay isn't revolutionary but effective and satisfying. The plot isn't the most original out but the characters will draw you in and will remain on your mind long after the game is finished. Where this game truly shines is in it's ability to bring the Old West to life in a way not yet accomplished by any other game. Some might think having such vast stretches of wilderness taking up the game map would make for a boring experience traversing the world but nothing could be further from the truth. As players travel to and from the hustle and bustle of various frontier towns and sleepy settlements they will encounter a number of crazy characters, wild beasts, and side quests to keep them entertained along the way. Every inch of this digital world is teeming with life. The landscape is absolutely gorgeous and traveling this faux-Tex/Mex region on horseback alone a joy. I have never played a game with such efficient and tight horse control as in this game. I won't ramble on any more for fear of ruining the pleasure found in discovering what RDR has to offer on your own but if you are even thinking about buying this game, DO IT! Expand
  78. Feb 20, 2013
    There is nothing more i can expect from a game...
    I was extremely happy to play RDR,now dat i have completed it, I don't know what to do..Eagerly waiting for the Sequel or prequel...
    I recommend this game to everybody on this planet...
  79. Feb 19, 2013
    An absolute masterpiece by Rockstar Games, you get real-life early 20th century American and wild west features, along with a suspenseful plot, and amazing gameplay, totally worth the 60 bucks!
  80. Feb 16, 2013
    It gives a real cowboy vibe, (I would now, I was born in 1873) Has a pretty good storyline, and great gameplay.
    The multiplayer is absolutely great, and it features a free roam mode, where you can start a posse and kill other posses. It has a few bugs though, but don't let them get in the way of an otherwise extraordinary game.
    After you finish the story missions, theres still plenty to
    do such as, challenges, stranger side-missions,
    bounty hunting and duels.
  81. Feb 11, 2013
    The best game EVER! fantastic game! i don't have words to express the happiness playing this AWESOME game... the best end... the best story... perfect!
  82. Feb 11, 2013
    This is one of those rare games that you are really vexed when you have completed it. Wonderful story, characters and phenomenal landscape made for my favourite ever gaming experience. I return to it fairly often for the hunting trails alone. Multiplayer was also enjoyable. Belly laughs throughout. Look forward to a follow-up.........how about "Red Dead or Alive".
  83. Feb 3, 2013
    One of the best games off all time. Awesome history graphics gameplay and the zombie DLC on the Old West revilocionate the gaming industry! the multiplayer is a bit fuzzy but its still very good
  84. Jan 28, 2013
    This game is the pinnacle of sandbox adventures. John Marston is a likeable character, the story, like all Rockstar games, is a joy to play through and the ending was definitely a surprise. If the game was released today, the graphics would still be top-notch. The collection of fun mini -games also adds value to an already stellar experience. The multiplayer is fun if you can gather together a group of friends. Overall, RDR is a must-have for anyone who owns a PS3/360. Expand
  85. Jan 22, 2013
    First of all Rockstar finally made a better game than Grand Theft Auto since i was addicted GTA. But this really standed out in the Hall of Fame. The best Rockstar game since Grand Theft Auto IV.
  86. Jan 18, 2013
    If you hate this game you're not a gamer, simple as that. No, I'm not a Rockstar fanboy but it's really so goddamn obvious that Red Dead Redemption is the best game this gen, by far and that is a fact.
  87. Jan 17, 2013
    I've said it before in my reviews and will say it again, a small lively open world is better than a massive empty one. Red Dead has a ok story with one fudging too big world. Its gameplay though is solid as a brick wall. I just wish, as with many games I have, it wasn't given as much praise. Why? I expected too much.
  88. Jan 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Read Dead Redemption is one of the most exciting, captivating, story based games I've ever played. But coming from Rockstar, I expect noting less. Including amazing, physics , graphics, and dialogue. As well, as having a ginormous free roaming map. It shows a disguise of being a common shooter game. But in reality, it has all the components of a classic game, within our community. It possesses humor, heart break, and gives you the Western feel. Throughout the game, you feel connections between the characters that you meet, almost as if you really knew them. You feel the tragedies they go through , as if they were your own experiences. In my opinion, this game has single-handedly out shined any game made by Rockstar. I suggest you pick up this game and give it a try, you definitely will not regret making said choice. - Trenton
    My Rating : 9/10
    Red Dead Redemption is the entire package, a most attention grabbing self-portrait of art, impressive dialogue, and a heart stopping act of scenery. The game itself earned my money, I especially enjoyed the campaign of the game. The campaign included a breath sweeping, mind blowing, and anticipated storyline of a cowboy determined to save his family from the downfall of the United States. The storyline also included laughter, seriousness, acts of realism, and fantastic character posing and acting. If you are looking for a game to play that is both serious, and western-like, get Red Dead Redemption right away. My other love for this game takes part in HD graphic multiplayer mode. If I ever needed some good old fun with my friends, I would rally up some and play the multiplayer non-stop. The problems I have with this game, would only have to be the nudity. Now, before you get all serious, the nudity is unnecessary even though it makes the game more realistic, and adds some interest. There are two parts in which nudity occus (which can be skipped), one where you walk in a barn and there is a man with his genitalia cut off and he is hanging completely bare. The next scene (a follow up to the near-ending of the game), is where Jack Marston (your main character), walks in on an old friend of his and a random mexican woman have intercourse. No matter what, it is unnecessary and I don
  89. Jan 13, 2013
    This game definitely is predominately better than any other Rockstar company game ever made. The fun of this game includes Poker, Liar's Dice, or getting drunk and walking down a western-filled road. The campaign was incredible, I played it all and I absolutely loved it. Rockstar has pulled off a yet again, another amazing game. The graphics are definitely the best I've played for in a while. You're getting your money worth. I have to warn parents though lingering on getting their child this game, there is some partial nudity. You can skip these parts though by pressing the "pause" button, or just pressing the "X" button control on your controller. That or just turn off the TV. Multiplayer in this game does NOT include nudity at any time though, language is the main thing in the game you have to worry about. Although I say that, this game is highly recommended. A lot of fun and filled with days of the campaign mode. Expand
  90. Jan 9, 2013
    this game is so good it really makes u think u r JOHN marston great graphics a rather dark game at times during that time a certain women gets gang raped but it shows how life was back then and the game is just so WOW
  91. Jan 6, 2013
    This is one of the best games I have ever played. There are a few visual hiccups here and there, but that, for me, was easy to overlook when the gameplay is so solid, the landscape is so beautiful, and the story is that good. I'm not much of an "online multiplayer" guy, but even that was pretty fun. Seriously, play this game!
  92. Jan 5, 2013
    PERFECT history
    PERFECT gameplay
    PERFECT (the best i ever **** seen) shooting mode
    PERFECT graphics (it's 2013 and they still surprise me)
    PERFECT scenarios
    PERFECT ambientation of west
    PERFECT
    PERFECT
    **** PERFECT
  93. Jan 3, 2013
    LOL, I can not believe that anyone would give this game a bad review.. Its about near perfect unless you have a strong hatred for fun and riding horses.
  94. Dec 30, 2012
    Very nice game! Like a GTA western :) Open world, nic graphics, epic missions, great story and more... If you have Playstation 3 you must buy this great game!
  95. Dec 29, 2012
    Just when I thought that Rockstar Games couldn't create anything other than overhyped crap, I was proven wrong with this game. And I must tell you, it never felt so good to be wrong.
  96. Dec 28, 2012
    Much, much better than GTA 4. Before anybody bashes me with this phrase, hear me out - it is simply a better game, it has that class and charm that I feel was lost after the GTA games on PS2. The graphics are very clean, the landscapes are fantastic (particularly at sunrise/sunset), a part of you feels like you're back in a classic Spaghetti Western when you play this, it's very authentic looking. The controls don't have a steep learning curve, the music is well done, even though I think this was the game's main weakness (I would have brought in Ennio Morricone for it), the characters are full of life (and if you have friends similar to Irish, it makes it all the more amusing), the side missions are mixed in difficulty and can happen anytime you're out on your horse or for a walk. Pure and simply, if you're interested in American History, Movies about the wild west, Graphic Novels about the wild west, dressing up like a Cowboy to a rodeo show, playing the hero or the antagonist, travelling around the south western USA and mexico, and have a 360 or PS3 available - this is a game that deserves a good look! Expand
  97. Dec 24, 2012
    Red Dead Redemption is one of the best western based games of all time. The scenery is stunning and the story sucks you right in straight away. It has a gta feel but it feels more unique. Most of the time I get sidetracked by playing poker or blackjack and forget that I'm a cowboy. The joy you will get from this game is high and it is one of the best games I have ever played. I give it 9/10
  98. Dec 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Red Dead Redemption is easily the most overrated title I have ever played. It gets a 3 because blowing through the campaign was fun the first time, and it loses 7 points for everything else.

Firstly, the story was atrocious. Every character was extremely archetypal. In some cases(Irish, Shaky), characters were so cliched that they were named for their archetypes. The dialogue characters exchanged was incredibly poorly written. Actual quote: "Change is only good if it's for the better." -Bonnie Macfarlane. This blatantly obvious "good things are only good if they're good" quote is a perfect example of how the writers try to be deep and fail miserably. Red Dead tries to make the player sympathize with protagonist John Marston because he is going through hard times and has been separated from his wife and son, who will die unless he takes action to save them, but I found it completely impossible to sympathize with Marston- He is a mass murderer with absolutely no scruples. He constantly makes threats of physical violence against his friends/allies like Irish and Nigel West Dickens, and he destroys the Mexican government and puts a tyrant(Reyes) in control of Mexico- Reyes goes on to slaughter thousands of Mexican civilians. The part of RDR that really showcases what a bad character Marston is is one of the final missions when Marston is working on his ranch- a ranch hand tells Marston that there are some valuable wild horses nearby and asks if they should go catch some. Instead of doing what any decent person would do(complement the ranch hand for spotting the horses, promise him a raise, get his help, and catch some horses), Marston berates the ranch hand for not immediately going after the horses, calls him a fat old man or something like that, then catches the horses. This encounter just goes to show what an a$$hole Marston is. Marston and all the other lousy characters totally ruin the story. The one part of the story that I like is the very last mission in which Marston is killed. After dozens of missions in which Marston slaughtered people, made needless threats, and behaved like an a$$hole, finally seeing him get what he had coming to him for the whole game was a great reward for slogging through the campaign. Even ignoring the dismal characters, the story was a disjointed mess from start to finish- the game began and ended with strings of brutally boring ranch work quests that had to do with shooting crows that were eating corn, and boring things like that. Proponents of RDR have claimed that the end ranch missions provide closure for those invested in the story, which I can believe, but I would not know first hand, because there is no reason for anyone to be invested in the story. The whole thing makes no sense. At one point, Marston works with the Mexican army and kills hundreds of Mexican rebels, and then he makes the spur-of-the-moment decision to raid a fort, kill a group of Mexican soldiers, and free the captured rebel leader because a hot female told him to. Then, the rebels welcome him as a brother and pretend the thing where he killed hundreds of them never happened- in reality, the rebels would have killed him first chance they got, because he, you know, killed hundreds of them. That is just one example- the whole story was equally senseless. If you care at all about good story or characters, don't get RDR.

The settings started out interesting but quickly grew boring. While each of the towns looked different, all the areas of the wilderness either were plains that all looked the same or were snowy forests that all looked the same. Settings were extremely redundant.

Controls, graphics, and music were all okay. Combat was well done, but nothing about it was original, except for the lasso, which only came into play occasionally, and even then was fairly uninteresting. Run up close to someone and throw a lasso at that person to capture said person. Nothing else to it. Combat was redundant. Missions, gang hideouts, bounties- it all felt the same and was way too easy. Most of the different guns felt the same. Activities like hunting, bounties, and gang hideout clearing quickly grew boring. As far as gameplay is concerned, RDR was just bland, and it would need to be incredible to make up for the story and make this a game worth playing.

Also, voice acting was another problem. Native American interpreter Nastas was just appalling and whenever he talked, I paid less attention to what he was saying and more attention to how fake his voice sounded. Fortunately, he was a very minor character, however the same cannot be said for John Marston. The main character was voiced by another bad voice actor- not as bad as the Nastas voice actor, but still pretty bad.

I care about an interesting story, realistic characters, creative settings, imaginative gameplay mechanics, good music and good voice acting, all things RDR lacked. It had decent combat and graphics, but other games have much better.
  99. Dec 12, 2012
    After playing through the main storyline as well as taking my precious time between side missions and challenges, I can gladly say that this game is the best "Grand Theft Auto"-esque game produced by Rockstar. Environments are unique, interesting and consistently enjoyable to play around in, characters that you come across and encounter are well-rounded and interesting in their own way, and the whole traditional feel of a western game really does shine through this fine example of one. You can hunt for animals that are sprinkled all across the three areas that you can traverse through, there will be countless amounts of dynamic encounters like saving a treasure hunter from pilfering bandits or engaging in a good old-fashioned duel to test the agility and grit of our lone ranging. The Dead Eye Meter as well as regenerative health, while making the game seem like an easy ride the way through, actually distribute a lot of the difficulties from other Grand Theft Auto-inspired games and allow the player to play the game challenged but not completely overwhelmed. There are also tons of other minigames as well, such as arm wrestling, poker, horseshoes, and even little propaganda movies. The lore and the history shown through this game is also captivating as well, and you can feel quite nostalgic from reading old-timey newspapers that are unapologetically misogynistic and retro in their own feel. I was worried that the diversity of the weapons in this game would be few and far in between, but in actuality, there is an arsenal of weapons to find, choose from, and use in the game, if several guns are categorized in the same field, such as sniper rifles, repeaters, shotguns, miscellary, and pistols. the only few gripes I have with this game is that Horse controls can be a little shoddy, and I still haven't quite found a way to stop a horse from moving at all (unless I kill it), and the fact that the main storyline kind of ended on a disappointing note. It wasn't as dramatic as I hoped it would be. Still, this game will definitely be worth your money if you want to engage yourself in a top-notch competitor for other western-themed games to come. Expand
  100. Dec 6, 2012
    I don't give it a 10 just because it's not perfect and I would never grade it above MGS but it sure is one of the best games out there, sometimes it does seems boring but it's the Old West what did you expect there weren't many things to do at the time!! but all the mini games and all the missions are so cool, every hour spend on this game it was fun. How about killing a wild beast pealing their skin and sell it at the store!!! how cool is that!! This is A MUST on your PS3 games collection. Expand
  101. Dec 23, 2011
    It's kind of funny; after checking out a few of my favorite games on this site I was compelled to create an account in order to write positive reviews about them. This game won numerous game of the year awards, and was honestly the best game from Rockstar I've played since San Andreas. Yet somehow there are folks that actually gave this a negative rating. I'm not sure how this is possible.

When I first purchased this game I was not looking forward to it very much. I thought "Gee, this is going to be Grand Theft Horse, oh well, hope its fun". I'm not a fan of westerns, as that genre doesn't really interest me much. However this game won me over 100%. The gameplay is quite compelling, the main storyline is compelling in the way a good novel, or great movie is compelling. I personally put in a lot of late nights finishing portions of the content just to see what happened next. I was so enthralled by the game that, immediately after completing it, I started a new game over again. As I mentioned before this won numerous game of the year awards for 2010 and all of them were well deserved. I personally can't wait for the rumored sequel.

1. The game perfectly captures the expansiveness of frontier life and the gritty gunplay of spaghetti westerns, rightfully earning its place alongside the great Western films and the best Rockstar games. [Issue#206, p.86]
  2. Rockstar's skill in creating a believable, functioning world with a distinct, coherent and consistent atmosphere is peerless. The broad-brush vision is masterful.
  3. Red Dead Redemption is a masterpiece. This game is the perfect example of how a developer should work to create the best atmosphere and to represent a beautiful historical situation. The graphics, the gameplay elements and everything else is at top level. Buy Red Dead Redemption, now!