8.8

Generally favorable reviews- based on 1951 Ratings

1. Nov 7, 2011
    This game is incredible. Interaction with the old west has never been better. Great graphics, realistic areas, unique gameplay, and just the right difficulty. This is the best western game ever created.
  2. Apr 16, 2012
    Red Dead Redemption is a game that gets everything right: The script, the acting, the atmosphere, the game mechanics and most importantly the emotional connection. There have been few games that have moved me quite like RDR. It's ending is a masterstroke of subtlety, which is something you rarely see from gaming. If you play the game as it was intended (like a hero and not a GTAIV thug),Red Dead Redemption is a game that gets everything right: The script, the acting, the atmosphere, the game mechanics and most importantly the emotional connection. There have been few games that have moved me quite like RDR. It's ending is a masterstroke of subtlety, which is something you rarely see from gaming. If you play the game as it was intended (like a hero and not a GTAIV thug), it has a contemplative, lilting tone that stays with you long after the credits have rolled. Red Dead Redemption is a true adult gaming classic; mature, well written and with a huge heart. Basically speaking, it's one of the best games that I've ever played. Expand
  3. Sep 26, 2012
    This game makes the Wild West become a reality. A classic masterpiece.
  4. Apr 23, 2011
    rockstar takes the GTA formula and adds it to a western game and i feel they have improved it. i wasnt to impressed with GTA4 but this game did . it deffinitly captures that western feel with some nice graphics , solid voice acting , a ok story that can be intresting some times and dull other times. its a fun sand box game and im glad to see they fixed the whole police chasing stuff downrockstar takes the GTA formula and adds it to a western game and i feel they have improved it. i wasnt to impressed with GTA4 but this game did . it deffinitly captures that western feel with some nice graphics , solid voice acting , a ok story that can be intresting some times and dull other times. its a fun sand box game and im glad to see they fixed the whole police chasing stuff down to where they all arnt crazy maniacs chasing you down relentlessly non stop like in the GTA games . the game took me about 30 hours to finish and there is alot of bonus stuff you can do . there is a pretty solid selection of wepons you can use . the cover system is decent and i found the aiming abit of a chore and took me awhile to get use to it. the game is also alittle buggy and glitchy i didnt find any of it really game breaking . i had 1 freeze up and a few other things happen. all in all RDR was a real fun game i havent tried the online yet and want to down load the undead nightmare DLC but PSN is down but i have heard it alot of fun so looking foward to it. Expand
  5. Apr 2, 2012
    Recently, I'm playing the PS3 version for one of the best games from these generations and what I can say it's that, I didn't find any problem at all in the single-player (glitches , technical problems , or playability difficulties ) . In simple words, Red Dead Redemption is another master piece brought to you by the folks from Rockstar , without a doubt is a definitive tittle to your library.
  6. Jul 18, 2013
    There have been tried and failed attempts to modernise the Western setting for video games, Hollywood had quite the hype with its over abundance of Spaghetti Westerns, yet they never truly left their mark on the gaming world. But when Rockstar announced that they would be creating a "spiritual sequel" to Red Dead Revolver, the air became ripe with anticipation at the thought of theThere have been tried and failed attempts to modernise the Western setting for video games, Hollywood had quite the hype with its over abundance of Spaghetti Westerns, yet they never truly left their mark on the gaming world. But when Rockstar announced that they would be creating a "spiritual sequel" to Red Dead Revolver, the air became ripe with anticipation at the thought of the developers of the hugely popular Grand Theft Auto series. Many began to assume that the game would be "Grand Theft Horses" yet while many of the gameplay elements of GTA come across to this Western genre, the statement couldn't be further from the truth.
    In true Western style, Red Dead Redemption captures all the glory, guts and gallantry that we have come to know from countless films and pop culture. Combining a fascinating yet heartbreaking story centred around the outlaw turned neutral cowboy John Marston, a man who wants to right his past wrongs and settle down with his family...easier said than done.
    As we are introduced to our protagonist, we also get a glimpse of the massive, sprawling and beautiful frontier we will soon get to explore at will. Every mechanic is polished to the point of near-perfection, whether you want to go out capture bounties or simply kill them, you can target various body parts or even shoot their hats off, the attention to detail is really quite mesmerising, from the vibrant wildlife to the inhabitants of the various towns, watching drunken men stagger home or watching women being chased and choosing whether to intervene or not. Much of this decision making takes place throughout the game, you could be the most villainous man to walk the prairie or be a legend and hero in the west, whatever you please and however you see fit.
    With this comes the very realistic gameplay approach that Rockstar have become accustomed to, horses move and gallop in a very realistic motion, they have stamina like the rest of us, the gunfights and shooting mechanics have come a long away since GTA IV, combining fluid and fast-paced style with enjoyable and simplistic ease. This works brilliantly with expansive world that Rockstar have created, with vast expanses of detailed deserts or snowy mountaintops filled with all sorts of wildlife that can be killed and skinned for money, or which contribute to contribute to upgrading the wardrobe of Marston. The open world and freedom comes into play in force as you can play a shoot em' up style by killing everything in site, or save damsels and men being chased by wild dogs, why not help the local sheriff clear out s gang hideout or be in it for yourself and max out your character until you see fit.
    In terms of the story, it can feel a little forced and sometimes lacking in surprise, with many objectives consisting of learning the ropes if surviving the Wild West, sometime when a mission seems over, it keeps going, and many of the decisions John Marston makes can directly oppose the personality they he has been moulded in. But this does indeed take a drastic turn in the closing moments of the story, a triumph amongst video game endings that sits among the best finales ever seen.
    The game delivers a homage and callback to pretty much everything we have come to know about the Old West, the taverns, the horseback, the beautiful horizon, the duels in the muddy street with a brave onlooker, and the beauty of the place may just sit with you, in awe and amazement and general satisfaction for another success for Rockstar.
    Whether you are veteran in the GTA universe or a fan of the Westerns of yesteryear, Red Dead Redemption brings everything to the table, giving the player ultimate freedom and endless capabilities to roam the massive frontier, it's safe to say that this could well be a masterpiece, and from a personal level a true triumph in gaming and quite possibly among the greatest.
  7. Oct 2, 2010
    I think I hyped myself too much for this game add to that the fact that I do not enjoy western settings and you can understand my rating for this game. Overall it's a fine experience, the story is engaging and the game is fluid. I was a bit disappointed in the graphics department but it wasn't a big deal.
  8. Aug 21, 2014
    After years of hearing no end of high praise for this title I finally got around to putting some time in. Whatever those people who rated it 10/10, 100/100 are smoking, I want some. Red Dead is far more removed than just being GTA with horses, it is that, and suffers because of it, because what makes a great GTA game great does not translate into the old west. I found myself constantlyAfter years of hearing no end of high praise for this title I finally got around to putting some time in. Whatever those people who rated it 10/10, 100/100 are smoking, I want some. Red Dead is far more removed than just being GTA with horses, it is that, and suffers because of it, because what makes a great GTA game great does not translate into the old west. I found myself constantly unimpressed, bored and disappointed with almost everything the game was throwing at me. Missions and quests were dull; follow the red line, shoot the man, come back, others were mind-numbingly tedious; herding cattle, breaking steers. Overrated bollocks. Expand
  9. Dec 11, 2013
    I liked the first hours. Let me begin by saying that I'm not a sandbox guy. I don't really like just doing stuff in the world, I never know what to do. I need missions and storyline. So based on that, I liked the first hours. But after a while I got bored, and by the ending I was just playing because I wanted to complete is, didn't pay off. GTA IV payed off at the end of the story, thisI liked the first hours. Let me begin by saying that I'm not a sandbox guy. I don't really like just doing stuff in the world, I never know what to do. I need missions and storyline. So based on that, I liked the first hours. But after a while I got bored, and by the ending I was just playing because I wanted to complete is, didn't pay off. GTA IV payed off at the end of the story, this one this not. Except for that, I had about the same experience, and GTA IV was never really a drag. Expand
  10. Jan 22, 2013
    First of all Rockstar finally made a better game than Grand Theft Auto since i was addicted GTA. But this really standed out in the Hall of Fame. The best Rockstar game since Grand Theft Auto IV.
  11. Mar 7, 2014
    Open world western at it's best. RDR captures the feeling of living as a cowboy perfectly, from herding cows, to shooting bandits, riding horses, playing cards in saloons. These mini-games are especially nice touch as you can spend hours and hours having fun playing dice, poker, blackjack... From the single-player standpoint it's almost perfect, good story, characters, immersiveOpen world western at it's best. RDR captures the feeling of living as a cowboy perfectly, from herding cows, to shooting bandits, riding horses, playing cards in saloons. These mini-games are especially nice touch as you can spend hours and hours having fun playing dice, poker, blackjack... From the single-player standpoint it's almost perfect, good story, characters, immersive environment full of varied natural life, lots of different animal species, some missions might be a bit repetitive in a style of go there, shoot everyone, get back, but it keeps your attention and entertainment quite high all the way through and I loved the ending. My main complaint is a completely broken and annoying multiplayer, but as long as you keep it SP, it's an amazing western experience. 9/10 Expand
  12. May 10, 2014
    If GTA had only a few types of (slow) vehicles and one radio station, it would still feel more content-rich than RDR. That's the point of sparse westerns I guess, but I like sandboxes because they feel unpredictable and expanding as you unlock new content. Another thing is, RDR didn't give me that 'aha' feeling of seeing the world from a different perspective. More like seeing a differentIf GTA had only a few types of (slow) vehicles and one radio station, it would still feel more content-rich than RDR. That's the point of sparse westerns I guess, but I like sandboxes because they feel unpredictable and expanding as you unlock new content. Another thing is, RDR didn't give me that 'aha' feeling of seeing the world from a different perspective. More like seeing a different world with THE SAME (GTA) perspective. They also satisfy the psychological 'wrongedness' that many non-privileged people feel. In GTA the (virtual) material world is finally within one's grasp, and in that way it temporarily satisfies an irrational hunger for material wealth and the inferiority felt from not attaining it in real life. It can also serve as a reminder that material gain is ultimately an empty and meaningless thing, while real happiness is all about the journey to get there. Not saying that such desire should be cultivated. I think it's important to sort of 'starve' the ego and remind ourselves that the world never promised to be fair, and that we don't need much anyway. But for those who have not kept their ego in check, GTA is an unparalleled playground, and RDR lacks a similar effect since it's not a mirror of the world that wronged us. RDR reuses the same action gameplay for a dozen hours, and there are no motorcycles or planes to broaden the scope. Online shootouts work well in the open sprawling landscapes, but as of spring 2014, online is marred by glitches that Rockstars have been fixing for months. I wonder if they'll ever get around to it.

As an introduction to Rockstar Games, or to third-person action, there's a lot of exciting content in this game. But for the seasoned gamer who has played several GTAs, the repetition of the mission style becomes very apparent. I had hoped for a few innovating missions, where the setting was used to do something that would have been impossible in GTA. But the game never really shows creativity in that area, filling instead most hours with riding through terrain (GTA driving minus the traffic!) and 'shooting gallery' action (on or off the horse) which almost plays itself thanks to the automatic targeting system (like in GTA V). The characters are memorable, a few of them among my favorite Rockstar characters ever. The game world is a marvel at times, even if you've played later open world games such as Skyrim or Assassin's Creed IV. But it also doesn't give much of a reason to explore it. No stunt jumps. No meaningful looting. No silly collectibles (except the skins of wild animals). It's completely straight-faced most of the time, and you know exactly what to expect of cabins, woods, towns etc. No surprises.

In retrospect, the game went all-in on impressive assets and characters. That focus made it impressive next to its contemporaries. However, especially the former quality will always get competition when technology improves. Good gameplay can be timeless. Red Dead Redemption plays like it could have been simply thought out in the last century, and it barely shows hints of innovations in its genre. So it feels stuck there.

If you've never played a Rockstar game before, you might add two points to the score. If you're crazy about westerns, you can safely add at least one point. But I'd recommend GTA V or GTA Vice City instead, or Skyrim or Assassin's Creed IV for similarly exotic game worlds.
  13. Jan 17, 2013
    I've said it before in my reviews and will say it again, a small lively open world is better than a massive empty one. Red Dead has a ok story with one fudging too big world. Its gameplay though is solid as a brick wall. I just wish, as with many games I have, it wasn't given as much praise. Why? I expected too much.
  14. May 28, 2011
    Ive never been a fan of the wild-west in any spectrum what-so-ever but at a knockdown price I purchased RDR after the rave reviews it had received. Rockstar have done wonders with this game. GTA4 wasn't as bad as everyone makes it but a big problem I felt was the reptitive nature within the game and this was one thing that Rockstar seems to have addressed. The missions give you a bigIve never been a fan of the wild-west in any spectrum what-so-ever but at a knockdown price I purchased RDR after the rave reviews it had received. Rockstar have done wonders with this game. GTA4 wasn't as bad as everyone makes it but a big problem I felt was the reptitive nature within the game and this was one thing that Rockstar seems to have addressed. The missions give you a big variety which is always helpful. Then there are the side-stories which once again offers you something totally different from the main storyline combine that with the alternatives of skinning wild animals, playing poker, bounty hunting, duels RDR can't be accused of lacking in terms of gameplay. As John Marston you are torn away from your family and told to find and kill one of his old friends Bill Williamson, initially the game is slow and lets you get used to everything but once you get going, if you stick with it, RDR is very engrossing. Visually it depcits the Wild West superbly. Its not jaw-dropping as such but its still impressive the detail and natural feeling that Rockstat managed to bring to the table. Multiplayer gives you the usual free-for-all with up to 16 players and theres team matches but the best part comes with the Zombie Undead DLC a genius idea that you can never go wrong with it is awesome! All in all RDR is a great game, nobody can dispute that but its a game thats a hit or a miss. Some people will love it and some will hit hate. If you stick with it it is a rewarding experience but at times it can be boring and the game is let down by quite a weak ending. Expand
  15. Jul 21, 2012
    An amazing setting, Red Dead Redemption is one of the best games that I have played. Fantastic graphics, awesome gameplay and realistic sound effects. This game has everything and with over 30 hours of game time, this is a game which is well worth your money. Thought towards the end, riding on a horse was becoming slightly tiresome but that was only because of the huge sandbox map.
  16. Mar 12, 2013
    If you want open world game with great western adventures, cool multiplayer, great graphics and .e.t.c. Then you should get this amazing game without no doubt!
  17. ERB
    Nov 30, 2013
    Red Dead Redemption is one of the games in the PS3 console we will always remember.The game looks so real and the graphics in this game is beautiful.The world in this game huge and it is fun adventuring the whole world of red dead redemption.The horses in this game looks awesome and I love riding the horses in this game.It is fun!You can also go to bars and drink beer.After you drink soRed Dead Redemption is one of the games in the PS3 console we will always remember.The game looks so real and the graphics in this game is beautiful.The world in this game huge and it is fun adventuring the whole world of red dead redemption.The horses in this game looks awesome and I love riding the horses in this game.It is fun!You can also go to bars and drink beer.After you drink so many beers your character will go drunk which is funny.The guns in this game is also cool and my favorite gun is the Mauser Pistol"The Mauser Pistol is a gun from Germany".There are just not one country here but there are two in this game.You can adventure America And Mexico.I'll give the graphics in this game a score of 3/3 and the world of Red Dead Redemption a score of 2/2.

The game play in this game is fun.There is this new bullet time"Like Max Payne"which is called the Dead Eye.The dead eye allows you to not get any damage while Dead Eye is active.The Dead Eye also allows you to put an x marks on the enemy and when you shot with your gun the bullets are fired on where you put x marks on the enemy.The Dead Eye is so cool.It is fun playing in an open world game especially when you are in the Wild West.The game play is fun and I love It!The game play gets a score of 2/2.

The most important thing in this game is the story.The story of John Marston begins when the law captured John's family and the law told him to kill the criminals whom they are John's formal gang mates and friends.The friends he had before are notorious criminals.Now John is forced to pick up his guns and kill who the law are asking him to kill.The story of Red Dead Redemption is interesting and the ending in this game is so touching that it really made me cry in a good way.I love this game Red Dead Redemption is a legendary game for the PS3.Thank you Rockstar for making this game.This game is incredible.We all love this game.I'm giving the story of this game a score of 3/3.Combine all the scores for this game and It gets a 10/10!This game is legendary and I recommend you people to buy this game now and try playing it.I promise you people you will love this game.Rockstar please make a sequel for Red Dead Redemption.I love this game.I love Red Dead Redemption.
  18. Dec 16, 2011
    Take Grand Theft Auto, transport the concept to the old west, swap the cars for horses, the handguns for pistols and safe houses to saloons and you find yourself immersed in Red Dead Redemption. Despite the sarcastic tone of my opening line I say immersed because it is grand and vast although this can be a bad thing with huge ground having to be covered by horseback at times.

Overall

Overall though Rockstar have to be commended for what is an excellent but flawed game with a good, if predictable, storyline and some good character development. Kudos for the unusual ending (although maybe not so unusual in the old West) which came as a surprise and I cannot say that has happened too often in my gaming life. Roll on the inevitable RDR2, not the Undead pack, but a real sequel.
  19. May 9, 2013
    This is the best game that i have ever played! Period! Red Dead Redemption nails absolutely everything! Everything about this game is absolutely epic: from the amazing story, the awesome characters, the spectacular graphics and atmosphere, all the way to an outstanding multiplayer and co-op modes! Red Dead Redemption will most likely continue to be the best game i've ever played all theThis is the best game that i have ever played! Period! Red Dead Redemption nails absolutely everything! Everything about this game is absolutely epic: from the amazing story, the awesome characters, the spectacular graphics and atmosphere, all the way to an outstanding multiplayer and co-op modes! Red Dead Redemption will most likely continue to be the best game i've ever played all the way up until the next Red Dead game! Expand
  20. Jan 21, 2011
    Rockstar may be well known for their Grand Theft Auto series, but Red Dead Redemption is the game to remember the company by. The game feels much more complete, engaging, open, and fun than GTAIV. Everything you do in the single player is a ton of fun. From the tasks such as hunting and games, to saving civilians and doing other side objectives. not only that, but the multiplayer isRockstar may be well known for their Grand Theft Auto series, but Red Dead Redemption is the game to remember the company by. The game feels much more complete, engaging, open, and fun than GTAIV. Everything you do in the single player is a ton of fun. From the tasks such as hunting and games, to saving civilians and doing other side objectives. not only that, but the multiplayer is outstanding, with fantastic DLC and an awesome open world setting. I can go on for hours about why this game is awesome, but do I really need to? You absolutely must go out and buy this game! Expand
  21. Oct 8, 2011
    i am going to be honest and say that this game just wasnt really very interesting for me it is a great game in many ways it just couldnt hold my attention maybe because it was a wetern style game i dont know but one thing i can say turned me right off of this game was the controling of the horse it just would not do what i wanted it to do most of the time and i ended up getting frustratedi am going to be honest and say that this game just wasnt really very interesting for me it is a great game in many ways it just couldnt hold my attention maybe because it was a wetern style game i dont know but one thing i can say turned me right off of this game was the controling of the horse it just would not do what i wanted it to do most of the time and i ended up getting frustrated with that but it isnt enough to turn some one off of the game enterly. the game looks beutiful with a couple of screen tears every once and a while but other than that the graphics are amazing. if you like western type games then this is defenatly for you but otherwise stay clear Expand
  22. Nov 19, 2013
    Un gran juego, no mucho de mi gusto pero no esta mal, aun asi, lo recomiendo, pero me da pena que se centre mas en el online que en el modo historia, aun asi me gusto bastante el juego y estando a 40€ pues...si podeis pillaroslo, hacedlo ^^ no os arrepintireis, esta muy bien el juego de verdad, destacaria mucho que es un sandbox muy grande, pero aun asi, no se si merece la pena para los noUn gran juego, no mucho de mi gusto pero no esta mal, aun asi, lo recomiendo, pero me da pena que se centre mas en el online que en el modo historia, aun asi me gusto bastante el juego y estando a 40€ pues...si podeis pillaroslo, hacedlo ^^ no os arrepintireis, esta muy bien el juego de verdad, destacaria mucho que es un sandbox muy grande, pero aun asi, no se si merece la pena para los no muy amantes del juego y mas encima viniendo con el de zombis ^^ Expand
  23. Jul 6, 2011
    Red Dead Redemption is basically GTA4, but set in the Wild West and you can be a good guy or bad guy. I was never a fan of cowboy movies but the story was epic. I will not tell you anything about the story, but that it was epic. I still can't believe what happened. I don't care if this sounds nerdy but John Marston is one of my video game role models. Now on with the gameplay. Just thinkRed Dead Redemption is basically GTA4, but set in the Wild West and you can be a good guy or bad guy. I was never a fan of cowboy movies but the story was epic. I will not tell you anything about the story, but that it was epic. I still can't believe what happened. I don't care if this sounds nerdy but John Marston is one of my video game role models. Now on with the gameplay. Just think "GTA Wild West Town". Your character feels flexible and you have great gameplay mechanics. The world was so huge I actually got lost (and mauled by a bear). Online is epic (again I can't tell you, you have to experience it). Now a question that always hangs, GTA4 or this? If you want to be a good guy, go for RDR. If you want a modern setting, go for GTA4. Simple as that. But just remember that you get your money's worth in this game. Epic story, epic gameplay, epic online. Get this game. Expand
  24. May 18, 2012
    this game was a masterpiece. from beginning to end, I loved every second of it. I loved that you actually had to hunt, the characters, the story line, side missions, everything basically. I feel this game is a must buy, because it is so diverse and entertaining. I want RDR 2!
  25. Nov 29, 2012
    The ending of this game was so epic, i almost cried (seriously), i finished it more or less at 00:00 and i couldn't sleep thinking on John Marston. This game is what i call masterpiece. the environment, the interactivity, the hunting and every aspect on this game were epic. I didn't expected less from RockStar since they gave us GTA that game that every played one played for his cheats andThe ending of this game was so epic, i almost cried (seriously), i finished it more or less at 00:00 and i couldn't sleep thinking on John Marston. This game is what i call masterpiece. the environment, the interactivity, the hunting and every aspect on this game were epic. I didn't expected less from RockStar since they gave us GTA that game that every played one played for his cheats and a lot of hours of fun. The story of this game was excellent, one of the best i have ever saw in video games. One of the best games on ps3 and a perfect multiplayer. Just "EPIC" and congratulations RockStar! Expand
  26. Oct 18, 2010
    This is not just GTA with horses. Red Dead Redemption isn't a good game, its a great game. Definitely feels like something worthy of game of the year, and is definitely Rockstar's best title ever. An open world western setting with tons of innovation and new ideas with great voice acting to go with great story telling. Graphically wise everything looks very good also and with tons of extraThis is not just GTA with horses. Red Dead Redemption isn't a good game, its a great game. Definitely feels like something worthy of game of the year, and is definitely Rockstar's best title ever. An open world western setting with tons of innovation and new ideas with great voice acting to go with great story telling. Graphically wise everything looks very good also and with tons of extra side content in the game this is one that could hold you over for a while. Expand
  27. Dec 6, 2012
    I don't give it a 10 just because it's not perfect and I would never grade it above MGS but it sure is one of the best games out there, sometimes it does seems boring but it's the Old West what did you expect there weren't many things to do at the time!! but all the mini games and all the missions are so cool, every hour spend on this game it was fun. How about killing a wild beast pealingI don't give it a 10 just because it's not perfect and I would never grade it above MGS but it sure is one of the best games out there, sometimes it does seems boring but it's the Old West what did you expect there weren't many things to do at the time!! but all the mini games and all the missions are so cool, every hour spend on this game it was fun. How about killing a wild beast pealing their skin and sell it at the store!!! how cool is that!! This is A MUST on your PS3 games collection. Expand
  28. Feb 24, 2012
    What a GREAT game! , i dont know why some people hate it, its an AMAZING game, I recommend everyone to buy it especially if you like open world/action games
  29. Jan 19, 2011
    Red Dead Redemption is a solid Wild West Themed Sandbox game. The games structure is very similar to Rockstars other Sandbox game series, the Grand Theft Auto series in which RDR places John Marston (the person you play as) into a huge Wild West Sandbox environment and complete missions, earn cash and shoot your foes. The landscape and views look authentic and has a certain naturalnessRed Dead Redemption is a solid Wild West Themed Sandbox game. The games structure is very similar to Rockstars other Sandbox game series, the Grand Theft Auto series in which RDR places John Marston (the person you play as) into a huge Wild West Sandbox environment and complete missions, earn cash and shoot your foes. The landscape and views look authentic and has a certain naturalness feel to it with loads of plants and live animals. The story is good, deep, fascinating and provides a good, meaty single player experience. The game (for the most part) plays like a first person shooter. Many missions see you fighting against the bad guys in engaging fire fights and RDR has a neat cover system along with a great slow-mo precision targeting system feature known as Dead-Eye which allows you to slow down time and target multiple targets then unleash hell on them with fire power. The gunplay and the game play itself is polished and uncomplicated to play due to clear instructions on where to go and an auto targeting system which allows you to quickly dispatch a group of outlaws. There are some decent variety in the missions that you'll undertake like escorting someone to safety by defending them against outlaws, tame horses, herd cattle from one place to another and more. There is a hint of RPG style game play in this game. I like the fact that you can earn money by scavenging for materials from plants or organs from dead animals and sell them to someone. The single player campaign is defiantly action heavy and bloody. The weapons at your disposal are plentiful and fun to use with bolt action rifles, pistols and a really cool lasso which can be used to take down criminals or targets without killing them. The most ideal mode of transport across the vast environment is the horse. Horse controls maybe a little bit fiddly at first but you'll get use to them. However, galloping sections where you are just riding with a NPC and discussing about various topics can get repetitious at times and I hate the fact that you have to hold down the X button to keep galloping at a consistent speed or else you'll slow down. What I like about this game is how Rockstar San Diego has captured the perception of the Wild West beautifully with the landscape, music, building design, sound design, and the character models and how they move and talk. Speaking of the sound design, the characters in this game are well voiced and the gun noises sound wonderful. What is always a strong point in Rockstar's sandbox games such as their Grand Theft Auto games is that there is an abundance of stuff to do. This game is no exception. There's loads to do even after completing the expansive single player campaign such as side jobs like being a Night Watchmen or helping civilians, scavenge for plant material and play mini games such as Horseshoes and Poker which are fun if a little annoying (especially Horse Shoes, can't say the same thing about Poker: I don't know how to play it!). The physics look convincing and realistic like falling off a cliff or dragging someone behind you (attached to the lasso) and watching them tumble and twirl while you gallop along with your horse. The game does get a little bit slow at the end and I don't like hunting helpless, innocent animals and skinning them but I guess it's just a game. When you skin animals, blood splatters across the screen which is an unnecessarily effect considering the perspective that you play the game. It would be acceptable in a first person shooter where you look through the eyes of your character but not in a third person shooter. RDR is accessible to anyone due to a generous checkpoint system and clear instructions on what to do but in turn it does make the game a little too easy. As a whole, RDR is a great Third Person Shooter with RPG elements that do not overcomplicate things. This Wild West game deserves to be in any action gamer's collection. Expand
  30. Feb 24, 2012
    Let me just say this: Red Dead Redemption is an AMAZING game! , i dont know why some people hate it, i honestly think its one of the best games this gen, I recommend everyone to buy it especially if you like open world/action games

1. The game perfectly captures the expansiveness of frontier life and the gritty gunplay of spaghetti westerns, rightfully earning its place alongside the great Western films and the best Rockstar games. [Issue#206, p.86]
  2. Rockstar's skill in creating a believable, functioning world with a distinct, coherent and consistent atmosphere is peerless. The broad-brush vision is masterful.
  3. Red Dead Redemption is a masterpiece. This game is the perfect example of how a developer should work to create the best atmosphere and to represent a beautiful historical situation. The graphics, the gameplay elements and everything else is at top level. Buy Red Dead Redemption, now!