Red Dead Redemption PlayStation 3

8.9

1. Apr 26, 2011
    A brilliant narrative that plays with the players perspective, and sheds the wild west in a new light. It is proof that videogames are indeed art. Unfortunately it's not actually fun to play, with some of the most tedious mechanics in modern gaming. The section in mexico was especially a chore, with it's frequent backtracking. At the end there is a great annoyance as well, as aA brilliant narrative that plays with the players perspective, and sheds the wild west in a new light. It is proof that videogames are indeed art. Unfortunately it's not actually fun to play, with some of the most tedious mechanics in modern gaming. The section in mexico was especially a chore, with it's frequent backtracking. At the end there is a great annoyance as well, as a completely achievable obstacle assumes and forces the player's defeat. Expand
  2. Sep 1, 2011
    Loved the idea of being a cowboy, until I played this game, now I am happy I only had to be a cowboy for a bit. While its not bad, this game wasn't good either. Felt like most of my time was spent staring at the butt of a horse and a story that just kept on going. Even when I thought the story was done it jumped a few years forward, but it was a different character and felt really "meh".
  3. Aug 9, 2013
    Better late than never.

Better late than never.

RDR is a fine game plagued by some annoying design decisions: the controls are absolutely dreadful, and the fast travel save system is cumbersome and annoying. The story, however, is entertaining, most of the time, if you don't take it seriously. Some of the characters, while cliché, are humorous and endearing, which helps pass the time when traveling on horseback from mission to mission. The latter part of the story was one of the most amazing gaming experiences I have ever had.

Where the game really shines, however, is in the atmosphere. The graphics, sound, animations and features such as cattle-herding, horse-breaking, skinning and hunting, etc., really get you immersed in the game world. It's a shame they are not really meaningful to the development of your character, or I'd have given this game a 10.
  4. Mar 11, 2012
    I expected this game to be much better. When I first played the game, i didnt like it at all, but now that i am giving it a second chance its actually a good game.Multiplayer is fun when you play with groups and most DLC are free.The campaign mode feels repetitive sometimes but gets better when you go further into the story.
  5. May 8, 2012
    I will admit the game had its appealing moments the first time I played it.. But all it is, is Grand Theft Pony. Like all of rockstars games it's all the same as GTA with different themes.
  6. May 26, 2012
    This game has an amazing soundtrack, great voice acting and an open world that feels real and alive. The story just isn't what people say it is, however. The game will do the fatal mistake of referencing things that happened "off-camera" a number of times instead of actually showing us. That is universally known in the film and book worlds as a way of cheaply avoiding to write more stuff.This game has an amazing soundtrack, great voice acting and an open world that feels real and alive. The story just isn't what people say it is, however. The game will do the fatal mistake of referencing things that happened "off-camera" a number of times instead of actually showing us. That is universally known in the film and book worlds as a way of cheaply avoiding to write more stuff. The parts with John's old crew come to mind here. The antagonists in this game (save for the two cops) aren't fleshed out at all, they game tells you why you should hate them in dialogue lines but doesn't actually show them doing anything bad on screen. I don't get why this game's story gets such high praise. Expand
  7. Mar 16, 2013
    This fantastic game with deep storyline played more with my emotions that any other game I remember. It's masterpiece with great graphics, very good control mechanics and absolutely brilliant game-play and story. It's not just GTA in Wild West. It's living world you will be sucked into.
  8. Nov 18, 2015
    To this day, there has been no other ps3 games in my library that has aged as well as Red Dead Redemption.
    This is a prime example of an excellent video game. Everything is alive in the game npc's, nature, wildlife and the storyline that grabs you in and takes you through a satisfying wild west experience.
    If you haven't played this game, it is a must buy. It deserves to be played and

If you haven't played this game, it is a must buy. It deserves to be played and cherished by every player.
  9. Oct 26, 2012
    I might get myself into a storm of hate, but I really didn't appreciate this game as much as everyone else seems to do. Some aspects are really cozy, and I can remember hours of hunting game in tall grass in the evening sun, but other than that, its just a long transportation to a big finale. The game is as best in the very beginning of the game and in the end, leaving a huge gap in theI might get myself into a storm of hate, but I really didn't appreciate this game as much as everyone else seems to do. Some aspects are really cozy, and I can remember hours of hunting game in tall grass in the evening sun, but other than that, its just a long transportation to a big finale. The game is as best in the very beginning of the game and in the end, leaving a huge gap in the middle where things just turns boring for me. Expand
  10. Jan 6, 2013
    This is one of the best games I have ever played. There are a few visual hiccups here and there, but that, for me, was easy to overlook when the gameplay is so solid, the landscape is so beautiful, and the story is that good. I'm not much of an "online multiplayer" guy, but even that was pretty fun. Seriously, play this game!
  11. May 3, 2013
    If I had to describe Red Dead Redemption in one word, it would be Masterpiece. I'll keep this short, my favourite game with amazing story, graphics, gameplay, side missions, hell everything!
  12. Mar 12, 2013
    If you want open world game with great western adventures, cool multiplayer, great graphics and .e.t.c. Then you should get this amazing game without no doubt!
  13. May 9, 2013
    This is the best game that i have ever played! Period! Red Dead Redemption nails absolutely everything! Everything about this game is absolutely epic: from the amazing story, the awesome characters, the spectacular graphics and atmosphere, all the way to an outstanding multiplayer and co-op modes! Red Dead Redemption will most likely continue to be the best game i've ever played all theThis is the best game that i have ever played! Period! Red Dead Redemption nails absolutely everything! Everything about this game is absolutely epic: from the amazing story, the awesome characters, the spectacular graphics and atmosphere, all the way to an outstanding multiplayer and co-op modes! Red Dead Redemption will most likely continue to be the best game i've ever played all the way up until the next Red Dead game! Expand
  14. Apr 1, 2013
    THE GOOD STUFF:
    - Rich, engaging script and narrative that makes you want to keep playing until the end.
    - Well-written and believable characters. - Stunning graphics, which leads to gorgeous vistas and landscapes. - Fun and rewarding gameplay, both offline and on. - You actually feel like a cowboy. LESS OF THESE PLEASE - Nothing of note. Seriously. If you haven't played this,
    THE GOOD STUFF:
    - Well-written and believable characters.
    - Stunning graphics, which leads to gorgeous vistas and landscapes.
    - Fun and rewarding gameplay, both offline and on.
    - You actually feel like a cowboy.

LESS OF THESE PLEASE
    - Nothing of note. Seriously. If you haven't played this, then what the hell are you doing reading this. Go out and buy this game immediately.
  15. Apr 7, 2013
    Red Dead Redemption is number 3 on my favorite games of all times list. This game is utterly perfect I cannot think of anything I could possibly change to improve this game. The story is the most interesting and enthralling I have yet to play in a game every character John Martston (who has become my favorite video game character of all time) are interesting and or hilarious. The gun playRed Dead Redemption is number 3 on my favorite games of all times list. This game is utterly perfect I cannot think of anything I could possibly change to improve this game. The story is the most interesting and enthralling I have yet to play in a game every character John Martston (who has become my favorite video game character of all time) are interesting and or hilarious. The gun play is unbelievably fun and bad-ass. The horse riding is perfect I know its a little rough but that's exactly how riding a horse is. The side quests are varied and interesting. The costume quests are addicting and rewarding since every costume is awesome. The graphics are jaw dropping. The voice acting is perfect. The weapons are varied. Multiplayer is awesome. The ending is possibly the greatest in video game history. There is at least 30 hours of game play in this game so it is worth the price.I cannot recommend this game enough it is a milestone and and must be played. Expand
  16. Apr 16, 2013
    I first bought Red Dead Redemption not longer after it was originally released. I played the first chapter, which sets up John Marston's character, but then I forgot to keep playing it and only got going again about 6 months later. What a mistake I made! Once I got playing again, I fell in love with everything about this game, the story, the setting, the music, gameplay, the lot....itI first bought Red Dead Redemption not longer after it was originally released. I played the first chapter, which sets up John Marston's character, but then I forgot to keep playing it and only got going again about 6 months later. What a mistake I made! Once I got playing again, I fell in love with everything about this game, the story, the setting, the music, gameplay, the lot....it pulls you in and you don't want to let go of the controller. RDR is an open world RPG/action game, following the story of a betrayed outlaw, John Marston. He sets off in search of those who screwed him over, as well as trying to find the whereabouts of his wife and son. All this taking place against the backdrop of the mystical American Frontier. If you follow only the main storyline, you would be looking at a good 20-30 hours of gameplay, and easily double that if you want to finish all the other side missions of the single player campaign...even then I think I had only achieved 50% of all the available trophies. The graphics are superb and really capture the magic of the American west and Mexican frontier, something which I am always fond of in movies. The music too really helps capture the atmosphere and the Jose Gonzalez song in particular, which plays at a specific point in the game, tops it off. When I finished the single player campaign in full, I really felt saddened by having that part of it end. Another reviewer mentioned this as being better than GTA 4 I agree, without doubt. So, while it does chew up so big gameplay hours, this is a must play console game. Expand
  17. Apr 23, 2013
    This is the best game I have ever played. It is much better than GTA IV. The story line is great, characters are awesome and the missions are really cool. This game also has amazing graphics.
  18. Apr 25, 2013
    Red Dead Redemption is the best game I ever played so far because of its amzing story, gameplay, character, voice acting, side mission, minigames like poker and that sort of things and its world which is a varied world full of beautifull scenarios and to make even better a kickass multiplayer full of competitive modes and a free roam multiplayer which serves for your "lobby" where you canRed Dead Redemption is the best game I ever played so far because of its amzing story, gameplay, character, voice acting, side mission, minigames like poker and that sort of things and its world which is a varied world full of beautifull scenarios and to make even better a kickass multiplayer full of competitive modes and a free roam multiplayer which serves for your "lobby" where you can team up with friends kill everybody while you try to join or create a game. This game just blows my mind in every single way.
    I suggest you buy right now and start the shooting cowboys because this the game of the year.
  19. Jun 1, 2013
    Red Dead Redemption's main story, the overall game play and quality of the characters are top notch. All the characters in the game are unique and deliver that sarcastic dark humor that existed in the GTA4 world. The game can be faulted on its outdated graphics, the time it takes to travel to and from a location and the constant mission retries to get the highest rating for the maximumRed Dead Redemption's main story, the overall game play and quality of the characters are top notch. All the characters in the game are unique and deliver that sarcastic dark humor that existed in the GTA4 world. The game can be faulted on its outdated graphics, the time it takes to travel to and from a location and the constant mission retries to get the highest rating for the maximum fame. The multi-player aspect of the game is entertaining with a number of game modes available to play with. Leveling up is a grind and with many legacy levels out there the player will lose interest quite quickly. There are a few online trophies that are difficult and very frustrating. Overall an enjoyable experience. Expand
  20. Sep 25, 2013
    Pros
    1. Huge world that makes you feel like you're in the wild west.
    2. Excellent storyline and voice acting 3. Graphics off in the distance are excellent the changing weather against the landscape brings the world alive. Negative 1. I don't see the point in all the weapons when they are barely needed as they all do the same thing and none of the missions are challenging enough
    Pros
    1. Huge world that makes you feel like you're in the wild west.
    2. Excellent storyline and voice acting

Negative
    1. I don't see the point in all the weapons when they are barely needed as they all do the same thing and none of the missions are challenging enough to make you feel like a need to swap through them much.
    2. The missions are repetitive and many can be very boring

Overall a very good game, but don't believe the hype. It's good, but no more than that.
  21. Oct 15, 2013
    Beautiful, exciting and a game that keeps you going for hours and hours. Sadly quite buggy when it first came out, something that snapped you back to reality in no-time from the otherwise great immersion.
  22. Dec 31, 2013
    I'll start with the things you (like me) probably won't like. There's a lot of repetition, the animation sequences for picking up ammo, flowers and skinning animals will grind, especially since you might be doing it as many as ten times in a row. The constant tapping of X to run and to drive the horse will at first be irritating, though you will get used to it so as you don't noticeI'll start with the things you (like me) probably won't like. There's a lot of repetition, the animation sequences for picking up ammo, flowers and skinning animals will grind, especially since you might be doing it as many as ten times in a row. The constant tapping of X to run and to drive the horse will at first be irritating, though you will get used to it so as you don't notice you're even doing it. You will get tired of being poor and of being told there are new items at the gun store only to find it's just ammo you got from corpses anyhow. You probably won't really start to enjoy the game until quite far in actually. There isn't a lot to do in the world besides hunt so you better learn to enjoy the slow pace and atmosphere of the game, something it really does well I think. I'm sure so far this is putting you off the game, but hold your horses and read on.

Tips: When you're on a cart with some other character don't skip it, those conversations really help build the story, which isn't delivered in an in-your-face sort of way.

This game felt to me like one of those books that you force yourself to read, all the while wondering why you're bothering yet stubbornly you push on with that 'I've started so I'll finish' mentality and by the time you finish it you sit in stunned silence realising that this book is the greatest book you've ever read. In a similar fashion I had to wait a couple of days before I could bring myself to play another game, I had to have time to process it all. It was more than just a game, it was an experience!

As for Undead Nightmare there's only a couple of problems: The button press icon to pick ammo up from corpses doesn't show up reliably. There could be more story cut-scenes. Since it's basically just fun DLC though it's amazingly full featured. The need to conserve ammo and actually run away from the undead coupled with the fact that even when you're armed to the teeth later on you can still die surprisingly easily will keep you on your toes, which is exactly what you want in a zombie game. Undead Nightmare does a surprisingly good job of capturing that survival horror feeling from the early Resident Evil games, and the setting is a nice change for a zombie game!
  23. Jun 24, 2015
    As of the writing of this review, the online component of this game is completely broken. The servers are glitchy, the sessions are lost, other players are invisible...and the eternal loading. The single player was OK, but not worthy of the praise written in the other reviews. This game will get monotonous fast as the Wild West is more desolate than any other sandbox game. You haveAs of the writing of this review, the online component of this game is completely broken. The servers are glitchy, the sessions are lost, other players are invisible...and the eternal loading. The single player was OK, but not worthy of the praise written in the other reviews. This game will get monotonous fast as the Wild West is more desolate than any other sandbox game. You have been warned. Expand
  24. Jan 30, 2015
    Red Dead Redemption
    Immersion Done Right
    This is how you make an open world game, with immersion in mind. Red Dead Redemption does a perfect..not nearly perfect, but a perfect job at pulling the player into it’s western world. Red Dead Redemption tells the story of John Marston a former western showdown gun slinging bad guy trying to redeem himself. He does so by repaying life debts
    Red Dead Redemption
    Immersion Done Right
    This is how you make an open world game, with immersion in mind.
    He does so by repaying life debts and hunting down a few old friends.
    But you are given freedom in the way you handle things outside of the games 13 hour main campaign.
    Outside of the story is where the beauty of this games immersion really starts to shine
    Its clear to me now why so many systems from this game have been added to series like assassins creed and also why it works here and not for them.
    Red Dead redemptions world is basically a giant desert, it’s pretty empty.. this can turn off a lot of players, It won’t and doesn’t surprise me at all to hear many find this game to be boring.. it can be, but isn’t really a run around and have fun kind of game…there are very few npcs roaming and inhabiting the world, but those that do all have a personality and a story to them.
    As you travel throughout the world on horseback you’ll run into strangers asking for your help, all which is optional.
    Some wanting help with getting a land deed, their wife, or are just in need of some materials that you can find organically in the open world.
    All of which you can deal with in your own way, you can pay someone off or just kill them and take what you’re there for.
    There is however an honor scale, you can get away with doing a few not so good things, but if you terrorize the world, the npcs will react to you in a bad manner.
    Adding to the oraganicness, You can also pick flowers, herbs, and hunt and skin animals.
    Hunting in Red Dead Redemption feels so right because the animals feel alive and real like all other npcs, they don’t feel like they are triggered or spawned into the world, they feel like they live there.
    Everything down to the mechanics screams immersion.
    The game asks for physical input in both running and controlling your horse.
    You have to pay attention to the game, you can’t just hold a button and go, It definitely takes time to get used to such a system of immersive mechanics, but once you do you will greatly appreciate it.
    Where the game does loose its spark at least for me is about 1/3 of the way through the main campaign. While the story really is great and the characters are brilliant, the mission design after the first 3rd of the game all plateaus.
    At first you are doing immersive tasks like hurdling cows in a bad storm, going out to catch a wild horse, really bringing the world to life, but later in the game it gets massively boring and repetitive..
    It turns into a lot of cover based follow the marker 3rd person shooter and ride shotgun while you take out the bandits following you over and over and over, luckily if you can manage to stick it out through this grindy section of the mexico part of the game, things start to pick up again for the final 3rd and missions will begin to feel varied just like before.
    But the annoying npcs that accompany you on many missions constantly rushing you and never shutting up about how slow you’re going doesn’t make the campaign any more enjoyable.
    But trust me, it’s worth it to make it to the end of this game.
    There’s also a free roam multiplayer where you can join other players in the same open world from the single player game to take over gang hideout and earn some cash, unfortunately multiplayer these days is pretty nonexistent, so don’t expect to get too much out if unless you have dedicated friends to play with.
    Red Dead Redemption is a beautiful and immersive game.
    I found it to be relaxing, boring and grindy at times, but Escapism at its finest.

For what it is
    Action Adventure 9 /10
    Overall 9/10
  25. Oct 29, 2015
    Overall great wild west experience, but the travelling on horse back from point A to point B is extremely far, control of distance and time spending on unnecessary things become norm these days
  26. Oct 27, 2016
    Best game ever made! Hmmm. Gotta make this 150 characters long.......do da de da de da do da de da de da de da do da de da de da de da do da de da de da de da do.
  27. Jul 7, 2017
    Mejor juego de la generación PS3/X360 y noten que solamente le pongo un 9, solo los videojuegos bendecidos por Dios deben obtener un 10 de puntuación incluyendo varias exculpaciones de pecados para ello, añadiendo además requisitos como la aprobación de la máxima autoridad eclesiástica, el odio de Paqurrín y la posesión del rocío iluminador sagrado revelador de secretos eternos, entreMejor juego de la generación PS3/X360 y noten que solamente le pongo un 9, solo los videojuegos bendecidos por Dios deben obtener un 10 de puntuación incluyendo varias exculpaciones de pecados para ello, añadiendo además requisitos como la aprobación de la máxima autoridad eclesiástica, el odio de Paqurrín y la posesión del rocío iluminador sagrado revelador de secretos eternos, entre otros. Tener el Santo Grial, la sábana santa... Etc.
    Todo habiendoselo ganado por méritos propios y no comprados de manos ajenas en Wallapop obviamente.
    Del juego solo tengo palabras de agradecimientos pero lo puedo resumir en una frase: un hijo parido por una dama de compañía puede hacer grandes cosas.
  28. Jun 25, 2012
    Nobody makes better games than Rockstar. Their attention to detail is unmatched. Every aspect of their games is done better than anything else on the market - their control, their physics, their environments, their animations, their freedom of movement. When you play most games, there are usually 1 or 2 aspects of the game that are lacking or rushed...but Rockstar's games feel polished andNobody makes better games than Rockstar. Their attention to detail is unmatched. Every aspect of their games is done better than anything else on the market - their control, their physics, their environments, their animations, their freedom of movement. When you play most games, there are usually 1 or 2 aspects of the game that are lacking or rushed...but Rockstar's games feel polished and complete in every respect. Red Dead Redemption is no exception. They improved the character control since GTA, but horses aren't as fun to control as cars, so the traveling can get a bit dull. This world isn't quite as fun as GTA and lacks the over-the-top action from GTA (like the ability to sky dive or create 10-car pile-ups that made GTA so enjoyable)...but this is still an amazing game that puts most other games on the market to shame. It really is baffling to me how under-appreciated Rockstar's work ethic. They put so much more into their games than anyone else does, yet many other games still get scored in the 9-10 range, despite the fact that these games have half the amount of content, half the freedom, half the environment, and half the attention to detail as Red Dead Redemption. Expand
  29. Mar 25, 2013
    One of the best environments I've ever seen in a video game. It makes you feel like you're in the wild west. Rockstar always has really great voice acting and storytelling. This game may be their best.
  30. May 2, 2011
    This game captures you from the start. Gameplay mechanics much the same as GTA, so no amazing fun their. The immersion of this game is priceless....from the main story to side stories to hunting Legendary Animals. The greatest Wild West game to date. They need to start on a sequel as soon as L.A. Noire hits the shelves.

1. The game perfectly captures the expansiveness of frontier life and the gritty gunplay of spaghetti westerns, rightfully earning its place alongside the great Western films and the best Rockstar games. [Issue#206, p.86]
  2. Rockstar's skill in creating a believable, functioning world with a distinct, coherent and consistent atmosphere is peerless. The broad-brush vision is masterful.
  3. Red Dead Redemption is a masterpiece. This game is the perfect example of how a developer should work to create the best atmosphere and to represent a beautiful historical situation. The graphics, the gameplay elements and everything else is at top level. Buy Red Dead Redemption, now!