8.8

Generally favorable reviews- based on 1933 Ratings

1. Jul 11, 2011
    This game is beautiful. The vast landscape, the bustling western towns, the dynamic characters, this game is one of the greatest of this gen. Good job, Rockstar.
  2. Aug 20, 2010
    Much, much better than GTA 4. Before anybody bashes me with this phrase, hear me out - it is simply a better game, it has that class and charm that I feel was lost after the GTA games on PS2. The graphics are very clean, the landscapes are fantastic (particularly at sunrise/sunset), a part of you feels like you're back in a classic Spaghetti Western when you play this, it's very authentic looking. The controls don't have a steep learning curve, the music is well done, even though I think this was the game's main weakness (I would have brought in Ennio Morricone for it), the characters are full of life (and if you have friends similar to Irish, it makes it all the more amusing), the side missions are mixed in difficulty and can happen anytime you're out on your horse or for a walk. Pure and simply, if you're interested in American History, Movies about the wild west, Graphic Novels about the wild west, dressing up like a Cowboy to a rodeo show, playing the hero or the antagonist, travelling around the south western USA and mexico, and have a 360 or PS3 available - this is a game that deserves a good look! Expand
  3. Sep 9, 2010
    This game is a sigh that even games like GTA IV are now a thing of the past. Rockstar delivered a masterpiece that is worthy of GOTY for 2010. Plus, one of the best endings in recent gaming history!
  4. Sep 10, 2010
    Open-World Western? Check. Arsenal of weapons at the users disposal? Check. Expansive, detailed, massive world? Check. Rockstar once again essentially raises the bar for the open-world genre. With enough missions and side quests to keep you busy for hours-upon-hours, a world where every inch begs to be explored, and a cast of memorable characters who follow an engaging, adrenaline-fueled plot, this game is simply put, phenomenal. Red Dead Redemption is a shining example of how to make a western game, and one no fan of the genre should miss. If your not convinced to buy the game yet, apparently you have yet to drag a helpless civilian by the feet behind your horse as you ride off into the sunset. Expand
  5. Sep 14, 2010
    Red Dead is a brand of its own, hosting a massive world of rustic locales, interesting npcs, and beautiful graphics. What it does best though is it captures the Western feel of cinema, something very few games have ever done right (if ever). A long game depending how you play, which is very ambiguous and up to the player. Whether your hunting, capturing a bounty, free roaming, or just killing innocents, Red Dead has something for everyone; the cowboys, and the cowboys at heart. Expand
  6. Sep 14, 2010
    Fantastic game, a GTA beater I don't know. If your looking for an interesting, new, different open world game then you could not go wrong with RDR. If your interested in cowboy movies and you have a small interest in computer games, then this will turn you in to a gaming addict, If your interested in computer games and have a small interest in cowboy movies then you will love this game. If your just interested in computer games, then there's a good chance that you will love this game anyway. Expand
  7. Sep 27, 2010
    I give this game a 10 out of 10 but I wish I can give it more. The game was a mixture of class, amazing graphics, perpetually interesting gameplay, and a great storyline.
  8. Oct 3, 2010
    "Oh bury me not on the lone prairie. Where the coyotes wail and the wind blows free. And when I die, don't bury me beneath the western sky, on the lone prairie."

Red Dead Redemption is the missing link between players and wild west, since there is no possiblity go back in the wild west, this game is the next best thing, and oh it's good.

I'm big fan of western movies and games, this game
    makes the impossible to possible by offerring very deep and authentic feeling wild west for players to play, visit, travel, ride and live.

"Oh bury me not on the lone prairie. This words came soft and painfully from the pallid lips of a youth who lay on his dyin' bed, at the break of day."

RDR looks pretty amazing on consoles and if there's coming PC version I think it will be also must buy.

Gameplay is almost identical to GTA IV but there is few minor differences, like swimming that isn't possible in RDR. Shooting and hunting is probably the second best part in this game, but riding on sunset with fast horse and perfect music playing on background is absolutely the best part in whole game.

At the end of one mission player had to ride to Mexico and there was perfectly fitting music track playing and sun is starting to set behind the horizon, oh my god it was amazing.

"But we buried him there, on the lone prairie where the rattle snakes hiss and the wind blows free. In a shallow grave, no one to grieve beneath the western sky, on the lone prairie."

Red Dead Redemption is true masterpiece and well executed piece of art. It's the only game that I have bough dlc packs and will keep buying. For everyone who is interested in wild west or western movies this is a must buy.

"Oh bury me not on the lone prairie. These words came soft and painfully from the pallid lips of a youth who lay on his dyin' bed, at the break of day. On his dyin' bed, at the break of day."
  9. Oct 13, 2010
    Red Dead Redemption is legendary!!!
    The truth is i was never really into the whole west thing and was extremely skeptical about RDR because of rockstars previous games ,mainly GTA. GTA got on my nerves because it always felt like the same thing, the only difference was location and story. But now rockstar has exploded my faith in them with one of the most beautiful,most innovative and the
    biggest games i have ever played!!I now love the west and all the cowboy stuff!!!This is one of those games that you will remember for the rest of your life!!YOU ROCKSTAR!!!LOL Expand
  10. Oct 18, 2010
    This is not just GTA with horses. Red Dead Redemption isn't a good game, its a great game. Definitely feels like something worthy of game of the year, and is definitely Rockstar's best title ever. An open world western setting with tons of innovation and new ideas with great voice acting to go with great story telling. Graphically wise everything looks very good also and with tons of extra side content in the game this is one that could hold you over for a while. Expand
  11. Oct 31, 2010
    i love this game and i still continue to play it now... the graphics are amazing the story is great and the world is just alive... yes this game is better than gta because rockstar have taken the GTA formula and then made it better... no its not GTA on a horse its like a simulator of wat life was like as a cowboy....essential buy it now...
  12. Mar 25, 2013
    One of the best environments I've ever seen in a video game. It makes you feel like you're in the wild west. Rockstar always has really great voice acting and storytelling. This game may be their best.
  13. May 25, 2011
    Rockstars best game. This game is so much better than all their other games in every aspect (apart from L.A. Noire which is much more innovative). Shortly: it's GTA: Cowboy but with a lot of improvements.
    The game has amazing graphics, some of the best characters in a video gamer ever, a quite good story, great gameplay, dynamic environment: you can go hunting, saving people, killing
    people, stealing stuff, robbing stuff, catching criminals etc etc ... and all this feels really realistic and alive. The only thing I can bash on is that it's still the standard (in the main quest) go from "point A to point B" thing. There is no real choice on how to do a mission which feels very linear to the rest of the game. But anyhow, it's one of the best games ever and it's definatley Rockstars best game. Love it. Expand
  14. Nov 11, 2010
    Having played all the GTA series I was anxious to get this game. It is a truly absorbing and atmospheric game , expansive and enthralling. However one can't help feeling that because GTA exists it never fully feels 'new' and because of that the impact is lost a little. If you have never really played GTA go for this straight off, you wont be dissappointed. Even if you have GTA I would recommend. Its a superb game. The game is worth playing just for the wow factor of looking at the views and listening to the wildlife. Id put it close to GTA but not quite a GTA 4 beater. Expand
  15. Aug 2, 2011
    This is not only the best game I have ever played; I think it belongs in a new class. Nothing else has come close. It is the most immersive open world experience out there. The graphics are stunning graphics, the voice acting excellent, and the sheer number of interesting activities is mind-boggling. This is not simply GTA with horses, it is a significant leap ahead.
  16. Nov 10, 2010
    I took the Madame of Thieves' Landing, hogtied her to train tracks then sat back and watched in sadistic glory as the train roared on by and a little pop-up in the corner of my screen alerted me that I received the "Dastardly" trophy (I swear I felt somewhat bad). How can you not give this game at 10 out of 10.

Great soundtrack too, by the way.
  17. Sep 13, 2011
    Dull. This is the best word for this game. Sorry, but I am not interested in skinning racoons, or riding MILES across plains to get to the next shootout. Yes, beautiful, atmospheric, clever, well made. But dull.
  18. Nov 21, 2010
    There is no where near enough words to describe the majesty and scale of this unforgettable western adventure, so you will simply have to play it yourself. The characters and plot are well fleshed; John Marston is probably the coolest character ever made in a video game. The graphics are beautiful, the sky a wish-wash of oranges and reds at sunset and a bright electric blue at day. Whilst it is not of the length of the likes of GTA IV, the journey through is probably better (just). Absolutely essential to any game collection, this game is a modern gaming masterpiece. 95%. Expand
  19. Jan 6, 2011
    Awesome game. Rockstar has outdone themselves on this one. Excellent atmosphere that really give the feel of a Western world. Large variety of weapons and horses. Good gameplay mechanics and a good system for online play.....Love the posse.
  20. Apr 4, 2012
    Never was a fan of GTA series but a big fan of Westerns. So I was intrigued at the concept of a sandbox game mixed with a Western background. The result was one of the best gaming experiences ever. The storyline is greatly influenced by classic Western movies like The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Plus, the soundtrack is one of most memorable pieces of music I've had the pleasure of listening to.
  21. Apr 16, 2012
    Red Dead Redemption is a game that gets everything right: The script, the acting, the atmosphere, the game mechanics and most importantly the emotional connection. There have been few games that have moved me quite like RDR. It's ending is a masterstroke of subtlety, which is something you rarely see from gaming. If you play the game as it was intended (like a hero and not a GTAIV thug), it has a contemplative, lilting tone that stays with you long after the credits have rolled. Red Dead Redemption is a true adult gaming classic; mature, well written and with a huge heart. Basically speaking, it's one of the best games that I've ever played. Collapse
  22. Dec 31, 2010
    Out of Rockstar Games, it was actually the best I saw, but I still believe this game does not deserve to be in Game of the Year because although the game had amazing gameplay and storyline, the battle system was a little too unoriginal just because it shows the Old West. If I look closely, I still believe that Final Fantasy 13 shows better graphics, storyline, and even gameplay because that game was the first to indtroduce a new concept which I understand was not perfect. Expand
  23. Feb 28, 2011
    So, this is one of the best games I've ever played, hands down. It's not the grudgingly good score some give games that are rated well but not quite as enjoyable as expected, nor is it one that I am fanboyish about because I just happened to be in the perfect mood for it one sleepless night. Those games, and we all know there are plenty of examples of each, all have something to improve on. Yet RDR has nothing to improve on, it simply gives us a living, breathing world, and lets us romp around in it like the heroes of westerns would have, but with the self-conscious modernist philosophical twist Rockstar showed more crudely in GTA. The societal commentary is there, but more intelligent and not as nihilistic or snarky as in GTA. Much more consistent message and world all around here.

So, the GTA formula is inevitably what this game will be compared to by anyone who ever played Rockstar's stuff since GTA 3. And it's a fair comparison because it's superficially just like GTA, but, unlike GTA, it is quite refined in action. There is no tedious travel because you can quick travel with a minimum amount of downtime, yet you can appreciate the landscape if you wish by just riding toward the sun and seeing where it leads you (try it at sunset, it's pretty and it's fun).

The GTA formula could not, IMHO, get much more refined than this, because not only is it convenient, but it encourages you to explore and has a TON of stuff for anyone who wants to go outside the storyline and play around. There are 10 ranks in 4 different categories of various tasks, in hunting, shooting, picking herbs, and treasure hunting. I love all these activites, and it's fun to work on them because they feel so natural in conjunction with running around across the landscape.

So rather than rehash what you can read in dozens of professional reviews, I guess I want to say, to clear away all the informational overload, how I react to this game overall, and how it fits into the landscape of gaming these days. This game is more like Oblivion than any other, I believe, because its best character is the world in which everything takes place. Except unlike Oblivion, its polish, detail, and mind-boggling variety will even impress the most pissy, jaded critics. The world has a personality of its own, and there are two basic themes that shine through this entire experience - a rustic nostalgia we all love from the best 50's westerns, and also the kind of serious humanistic character-driven drama we get from the best modern cinema. There are plenty of examples of both in this game, which is one of the biggest reasons that it succeeds so well, that it does not simply flip the bird to everyone the way Grand Theft Auto did. There is depth and maturity in, not only the story, but the whole world and style. This, folks, is a video game world if there ever was one, not just a haphazard collection of missions - so get it already if you have a PS3 or 360 and if you love quality games. And, on a side note, if jaggies bother you in your games you will have to get used to them, especially for the PS3 version, which has quite a bit of aliasing that distorts the otherwise beautiful landscape. Odd since the PS3 is so much more powerful with exclusives. As a PC gamer I am especially picky about graphics, but even compared to many other PS3 games the jaggies are pretty noticeable, and I heard the 360 version's graphics are smoother.

To close, I did read about the exploitation of the Rockstar SD employees by executives, and I think it's a travesty - if someday a Rockstar SD employee might read this review, the silent majority of gamers wish you could've been given an extra year to make this game if that meant you could've worked a reasonable work week. To think that the few hundred men and women who made one of the greatest games of our generation had to worry about their labor rights being upheld is simply ridiculous. But in the end we all appreciate your blood, sweat, and tears, and we hope you continue to do more fantastic work in the future. The game speaks for itself.
  24. Sep 28, 2011
    I don't think I've ever grown to care so much about a character as I did with John Marston. The story is so well crafted and every character feels so believable. I've never liked "doing nothing" in games, but I'd rather do nothing in this game than do something in most games. I understand if some people think this game is hyped and don't enjoy this. But everything in this game is just so beautiful and well thought out. Quite buggy from time to time, but nothing too serious. An incredible cowboy simulator, I really really got into the western feeling. Riding is incredible and missions are great! This is the first gime where I really cared about doing everything 100% because I couldn't stop playing it. Also, when the game was over I felt sad for days - I'm not kidding. There was such a big emptiness and I wish I could erase my memory and play it from the beginning. Truly a masterpiece in gaming, much better than GTA IV. Expand
  25. Jan 7, 2011
    Beautiful, stylish and engrossing. If you ever had the yearning to be a cowboy in the old west then Rockstar have got all the bases covered. From duels in the streets to poker in a bar in Mexico to watching the sun set ove rthe mountains there is every activity you could ever want to enjoy in the game. Story wise the tale of John Marston is engrossing and you feel deeply connected to the character throughout the game. This is one of Rockstar's best moments and one which has gameplay for many months to come. Expand
  26. Jan 21, 2011
    Rockstar may be well known for their Grand Theft Auto series, but Red Dead Redemption is the game to remember the company by. The game feels much more complete, engaging, open, and fun than GTAIV. Everything you do in the single player is a ton of fun. From the tasks such as hunting and games, to saving civilians and doing other side objectives. not only that, but the multiplayer is outstanding, with fantastic DLC and an awesome open world setting. I can go on for hours about why this game is awesome, but do I really need to? You absolutely must go out and buy this game! Expand
  27. Feb 28, 2011
    As far as games go, it doesn't get much better than this one. The graphics are, at times, strikingly beautiful. The game is also unbelievably well written and acted, there were a couple times during this game which almost made me tear up. Gripping, intelligent, and fierce. A great game all around. Oh, yeah, and it's fun as **** to play.
  28. Feb 11, 2011
    This is a spectacular game, and did not disappoint at all. I had trouble putting the controller down every time i played. It is an easy 10 out of 10.
  29. Feb 22, 2011
    A very immersive experience. The world feels so alive and authentic.This along with the time period and a strong cast of characters allow for an engaging story. The gameplay is a lot of fun and typical of a rockstar game.
  30. Apr 24, 2011
    I am speechless. This game is jaw dropping and a strong entry from Rockstar. Play it on HD if you can, you will love the sceneries and those simple moments just galloping through the fields. Subtle things take little to almost nothing away from the experience. A solid soundtrack and a cleverly written story that climaxes to a fulfilling ending that blends the love of a man for his family and the overpowering hand of the system that breaks the soul of man. I can't say anything anymore, it is unjust. Go out and get it and play the whole story, do the side quests, they're fun; and you'll have an experience like no other. I give this game a solid 10, for its direction and cinematography, strong dialogue, and rich thrilling western experience. HD must. Expand
  31. Apr 25, 2011
    Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption Expand
  32. May 2, 2011
    This game captures you from the start. Gameplay mechanics much the same as GTA, so no amazing fun their. The immersion of this game is priceless....from the main story to side stories to hunting Legendary Animals. The greatest Wild West game to date. They need to start on a sequel as soon as L.A. Noire hits the shelves.
  33. May 25, 2011
    A bit late in reviewing but, it is truly one of the greatest games ever. Superb storytelling, superb gameplay and a very likeable protagonist. A must have for every PS3 owner
  34. May 19, 2011
    This is one of the greatest games of all time. Red Dead Redemption is the perfect game for Rockstar to make, the story is immersive and the overall gameplay is great! The graphics are some of the best I've seen, this game is just awesome! :P But if your looking to just shoot up the west, then this may not be the game for you. Yes there are amazing gun blazing moments like RockStar always delivers, but the story is where its at in this game. Now I love to shoot a barman as much as the next guy, but people (while looking through the reviews here) must have expected another GTA 4. This is not GTA, this is better in my personal opinion. I had no problems with this game, maybe a little slow to get the story going, but I love the huge open world, with animals to hunt and bandits to shoot in the face. The multiplayer however is by far the best part, multiplayer free roam is just a blast! Going into possies with your friends and hunting outlaws (or being outlaws) is an exhilarating experience that should be in more games. Overall, I can expect to keep coming back to Red Dead Redemption. Expand
  35. Oct 18, 2011
    A great, great game! RDR takes you to the western world with perfection. John Marston is one of the best characters ever in video games history. Open world, tons of missions, great gameplay, awesome graphics and a soundtrack that makes the experience more immersive! if you have a PS3 or a XBOX360, go and buy this masterpiece! RDR is one of the 3 favorite games of all time (for me).
  36. May 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Much, much better than GTA 4. Before anybody bashes me with this phrase, hear me out - it is simply a better game, it has that class and charm that I feel was lost after the GTA games on PS2. The graphics are very clean, the landscapes are fantastic (particularly at sunrise/sunset), a part of you feels like you're back in a classic Spaghetti Western when you play this, it's very authentic looking. The controls don't have a steep learning curve, the music is well done, even though I think this was the game's main weakness (I would have brought in Ennio Morricone for it), the characters are full of life (and if you have friends similar to Irish, it makes it all the more amusing), the side missions are mixed in difficulty and can happen anytime you're out on your horse or for a walk. Pure and simply, if you're interested in American History, Movies about the wild west, Graphic Novels about the wild west, dressing up like a Cowboy to a rodeo show, playing the hero or the antagonist, travelling around the south western USA and mexico, and have a 360 or PS3 available - this is a game that deserves a good look! Collapse Expand
  37. Jun 9, 2011
    Amazing game and a must must must buy for a Western fan. The story is as engrossing as any classic western, visuals and animation are at rockstar quality, sounds are top notch (from the soundtrack to authentic sounding weapons to the excellent voice acting). This is a very long game but exciting every step of the way and story develops slowly but leaves you entirely satisfied at its conclusion. Outside of the main story, there a numerous side adventures that are extremely fun (hunting animals in particular and chasing fugitives). It was a pleasure for me to complete this game 100% which I could not say the same for GTA4. Best Rockstar game of all time. Expand
  38. Sep 25, 2011
    this is a great game with an amaceing story and great gameplay. You can put lots and lots on hours in to this game with so mutch there is to do in it. a 10/10 for me
  39. Jun 14, 2011
    Red Dead Redemption, a must game for every gamer. Great story telling, great characters and great environment, just leaving my controller idle and watching some of the scenery is just a one way of admiring the beauty that Rockstar made. Truly a masterpiece. The only bad thing i found out was the online multiplayer for this game doesn't have the longevity like other games. I went online after 4-5 months after release and I didn't found much people playing anymore.

All in all, even without online, this game can hold it's own.
  40. Jul 10, 2011
    Black Ops and Red Dead Redemption for the PS3 have a great number of cheaters that use everything from modded controllers with rapid fire to lag switches and glitches. Here is a very small list of some of these gamers. XEL_MALBOROX MR__Arizona RKC_Hell-Raiser Taachii55 Blackpanther021 Tos-7- K_-sA_Abood Bonelessbrownie Devilwearprada_ Hero-Gabriel dir_en_grey04 Gold_RevolverS BaRBiie_C4n_KiLL Crazy_Slag date1016 Tazzz31 ALN3ME_Skull YoungGunz_Raiden Jake-t-Snake MATACAMPEROS_77 Stich_Boy Filth_1 OCB-LA-GACHETTE OCB_BOUGE_DE_LA OCB-BEFALO-M13 Dirty-Killaz Areksandorya_368 Salem30 Sergio_Cruz_H Critan_Pedro YoungGunz_Demon Jimi101mokumz Galactico2010 Moon_kiss SirBricante Fheer1 The_sleeper_one xllx__SAM__xllx Born-to-Game Red1on1 Crazyfofo Jr_player1 Lukasky Vargas23-09-1998 Karma0809 Talooon Latino131 RDFC_Butler RDFC_KillaKid Dead_Headshots Silentt_Warrior RedMarlboro- Kriss_Lopez Expand
  41. Jul 26, 2011
    Experience the wild west like never before.In Red Dead Redemption you play with the wild gunslinger John Martson who is trying to revenge against the gangster who left him to die.The game is an open world style like Gta ,La Noire,etc that is the style that Rockstar games uses on their games.You can explore the open wild world of Red DEAD REDEMPTION by hunting animals,taking their skin for trading,finishing tasks for strangers,completing missions,purchasing homes to save your game,and travelling from MEXICO to US.The gameplay is so much fun because of the accurate controlling of the gun,the simple,easy covering system,the variety of weapons in the game like a wenchester repeater,the knife,the lasso,the shotgun,etc.Very good graphics,high quality textures,realistic landscapes of the mountains,the rivers,and the desserts.The Rockstar team are very well on representing the wild west by the so many details in the game,the old saloons,the houses,the horses,and the high mountains.Strong story of John Martson who is working with the US government agent Edgar Ross to kill the outlaws,in his journey he went to mexico to revenge from Bill Williamson that was his best friend,he was involved with the Mexican revolution against the president,and with the president of mexico.After finishing his deeds with government,he went to his house to see his wife Abigail,his son Jack,and Uncle.Lefting behind the harsh world that he was living in ,but the surprise is the government after making him to work with them,They decided to kill him like a dog but his wife and his son have escaped from them.Jack Martson has grown up to seek revenge for his father.The possitives are good gameplay,strong story,good graphics,fun missions,long map to explore,good voice acting,fun multiplayer.The negatives are the dead eye feature that lets you to kill multiple enemies fast which makes the enemies week and non competitive,and the sadly ending.I am waiting for the next Red Dead Redemption maybe they will make Jack martson the new character in the game.(Sorry for my bad English). Expand
  42. Sep 9, 2011
    LOVE IT , I Must Agree , I Prefer this over GTA 4 AND L.a Noire. Its a Breath taking game and the end is amazing. Never been so attached to the Characters. Theres so many side quests & missions You can do theres never a time where you have NOTHING to do. You can decide if you want to be a Honorable Legend of the West By Helping People in help or An Outlaw robbing banks killing etc. Theres so much about this game i love i can probably write for 2 hours. Its just Amazing. Graphis are a 10/10 Sunset is truley Gorgeous. The Horses are Beautifully animated and so are the wild animals. Its Honeslty Breath taking. The Story line is WOW. Of course every games graphics have a few kicks and bugs but we play a game for the storyline. I Recommend anyone to buy this game . Its Amazing. And you will NOT be let down Expand
  43. Aug 25, 2011
    There is so much fun stuff to do in this game. I feel like you can't be bored playing this game. The game is beautiful, so even just sitting on your horse, admiring the Mexican sunset while watching deer jump across the plain is awesome. A fresh change of pace from GTA for Rockstar most indeed. The story was brilliant especially the end.
  44. Aug 27, 2011
    Unquestionably one of the best games ever made, nothing combines action, story-telling with an old-west feel like RDR. People may say that GTA 4 is better than RDR, but Niko is just some petty criminal, whereas Marston is fighting for a just cause.
  45. Sep 7, 2011
    one of the best games ever made! you can spend days playing even when you finished the story because there is more to explore in mutliplayer and single player: challenges, intermission with other players, the great level and thousands of other things which make this game to a MUST HAVE and MUST PLAY for everyone!
  46. Sep 16, 2011
    This game has the one thing that kept GTA IV away from erfect score - unique, uncharted world that has never existed in videogame. Plus fantastic heroes, plot and all game mechanisms.
  47. Oct 12, 2011
    A nearly flawless game. Rockstar took a different path with this game, a more serious storyline rather than the GTA series. You become so attached to the characters and their story, and it really got to me when I played. On the subject of graphics, Red Dead Redemption is beautiful. From the beautiful sunsets, to the tiny details that somebody took time to make. It's a game you really have to take slowly to fully enjoy, and you can't quite play it like GTA. Overall, one of my favorite games of all time and why I think Rockstar is one of the best developers out there today. Expand
  48. Oct 18, 2011
    Simply one of the best games ever if not the best.To be frank have still not completed the game but all the time that i spent playing felt it was worth.never a dull moment be it our hero riding the horse all the way across the map or searching for flowers in the wild(yeah you do that for increasing a challenge called survivalist) or even playing card games its all so fun... along with that u have all the western style shooting which adds up more fun... the oonly thing that cud have been better i wud say was the graphics and music.. but trust compared to the other games out there those are still pretty good.. whatever gamer u are this is one of those games u have to play before u die........ 9.5/10. Expand
  49. Feb 24, 2012
    What a GREAT game! , i dont know why some people hate it, its an AMAZING game, I recommend everyone to buy it especially if you like open world/action games
  50. Feb 24, 2012
    Let me just say this: Red Dead Redemption is an AMAZING game! , i dont know why some people hate it, i honestly think its one of the best games this gen, I recommend everyone to buy it especially if you like open world/action games
  51. Nov 18, 2011
    for people who say red dead redemption is gta with a horse well you are wrong.it is way more than that.the environment is beautiful.will play it about 56 hours if you do the side missions.
  52. Nov 5, 2011
    Late to review I know, better late than never! I'm not really into the old Wild West theme - usually! But I made an exception for this game. Its game play is good and its certainly entertaining. Good game!
  53. Nov 5, 2011
    Definitely one of my favourite games of all time, the story was well told and the characters were likable, it also built up to a fantastic ending. The gameplay is very similar to Grand Theft Auto 4, however the game adds a few little tweaks and touches to set it apart, most notably the cover system has been heavily immproved as has the shooting, platforming also has a slight emphasis in the game which can be slightly irritating due to Marston's occasionally sluggish movement, however as it isn't brought up often it can be forgiven. Horses take over from the cars of GTA and are a welcome improvement, easy to control and after a few minutes of riding around in the Wild West you'll be shooting from horseback like a true outlaw. Missions vary, with some asking you to assist a rebellion and another (delightful) mission letting you rob a train. However many levels, such as the train level, that offer interesting elements are brushed over and do not reappear, which can be slightly disappointing. The graphics are phenomenal. The deserts, plains and settlements of RDR look beautiful, and the animals and characters populating them are equally impressive. Thanks to the brilliant engine behind the game's physics, NPCs react incredibly realistically to being shot or falling. A shot to the shoulder, for example, will throw back the character, shoulder first whereas a shot to the leg will topple them, leaving them to limp away. The gritty, dark streets of Liberty City have been replaced by the Old Western states of West Elizabeth, New Austin and Nuevo Paraiso, allowing you to trek through Mexico as well as North America. All three locations offer varying terrain, environments, people and wildlife, for example West Elizabeth, the northernmost location offers dense, snowy forests populated by bears and deer as well as a large town full of posh citizens, whereas down south in Nuevo Paraiso, the land is covered with deserts and canyons as well as lower class villages, and Bobcats. The weapons are fun to use and get better as you progress through the story, the downloadable Explosive Rifle being a highlight. The multiplayer is also enjoyable and incredibly satisfying to succeed in. When you first hit the square button you'll be thrown into a free-roam session in which you can roam around performing challenges, breaking the law or just wandering. Alternatively, once dropped into free roam you can open the multiplayer menu by pressing the SELECT button and choose from several game-types (added to with DLC), these generally consist of Teamdeath Match, Deathmatch, and an interesting mode called "grab the bag", it's essentially capture the flag but with a slight twist, the bag weighs a little and slows your character down, you're also limited to a handgun when carrying the bag so it's helpful to ask your teammates for aid at that point, however this game mode can also be played without teams, allowing you to pick up multiple bags and eventually break your shoulders (that was a joke). Another interesting dynamic to multiplayer is that most of the matches begin with a classic Mexican standoff, in the case of team games both teams stand opposite each other and in free-for-all games, players stand in a circle. The seconds leading up to these standoffs are intense and the standoff itself is very satisfying to win. The team that succeeds in the standoff is given a head start, also.

Overall the game is excellent, yes it's held back by a few minor flaws but they're hardly game breakers. If you have a PS3 (or an XBOX for that matter) you should buy this game, perhaps buy the GOTY addition as that includes all of the brilliant DLC packs (Undead Nightmare is unbelievably good) and isn't much more expensive.
  54. Dec 6, 2011
    One of the best games ever made. I suspect it will be a very long time before I am honored to play a game as good as this in the future. It's the best open world game I have ever played. The graphics are top notch. The voice acting really is exceptional and pulls you into the story. The sound is great. from the muffled sounds of your horses hooves to the crisp sounds of western gun shooters. You really start to have feelings for the main character. The horses in this game are absolutely beautiful, and realistic. There are plenty of mini games in this open world gem including; poker, horse shoes, arm wrestling, finger knife, black jack, and liars dice. Expand
  55. Nov 7, 2011
    This game is incredible. Interaction with the old west has never been better. Great graphics, realistic areas, unique gameplay, and just the right difficulty. This is the best western game ever created.
  56. Sep 11, 2012
    Not a western fan? I wasn't. Red Dead Redemption got under my skin. Now, I enjoy Johnny Cash, can watch an old Huston or Peckinpah movie and Deadwood, and so on. I get it. John Marston, the main character, is a man that endears himself to many of the people in the game and out of it as well (as you may have found out reading other reviewers). Part of the credit goes to the master voice work by the actor, part goes to the engaging story line. The gameplay is challenging without becoming annoying. Not normally a fan of console controls compared to pc gaming, but RDR has dynamics that compensate for the less than ideal aiming of a PS3 controller. The environment is beautifully rendered through the graphics, sound effects, and music that make the world a pleasure to live out a legend in. You can marvel at just going to the menu and seeing the freeze frame create a beautiful tableau. RDR has pacing that can be at times exciting and other times relaxing, encouraging the player to take time enjoying the wildlife (even while hunting it). I loved it and will likely replay it just to experience it all again. Expand
  57. Jul 3, 2013
    The best game I have ever played on PS3. It is like Grand Theft Auto but set in the Midwest with a much better story line. I actually found myself immersed in my character. The best part is this game is entertaining for months. Its not like Uncharted (after you beat it in two-three days your done. This game I actually can play again and again.
  58. Nov 14, 2011
    1 WORD 'MINDBLOWING' thats what you would call the rockstar masterpiece "Red Dead Redemption'
    Remember those spaghetti western movies? Combine all the beautiful moments of those movies in one box(now u have some idea of what waiting for u in red dead redemption).Let me list few words that are the very strength of the game :Great main story ,Fantastic orchestral score,Memorable characters
    and AMAZING GRAPHICS with incredible amount of detail added to each and everything u see in the game.And you know ROCKSTAR NORTH are the only masters of SANDBOX and again outdid themselves in RDR.If you are a fan of western Cowboy thingy then you sure to HUG RED DEAD REDEMPTION with open arms.......well done rockstar a solid 10/10 Expand
  59. Nov 18, 2011
    If you actually like to play games in general, you have to have this game!!!!!!!! The best story, ending, atmosphere, soundtrack, characters, location, amazing graphics, tonnes of replay ability and not to mention the amazing multiplayer, this is the best game ever made, 100000000000000/10 if I could!!!
  60. Feb 8, 2012
    If you go into this game expecting GTA V then you'll be sadly disappointed. THIS IS NOT GTA, OR BASED IN THE GTA UNIVERSE. Some people jump into the game and start shooting everything then getting the sheriffs on them, then die, then repeat until it gets boring instead of follow the story. And what a story it is, its kind of split into three sections: wild west america, mexico and then modern mountainous america (all one map) Its basicallyy a trilogy. However the mexican part of the game bored me a bit and whilst having it's good moments you inevitably compare it the the first "film" which is the best. Theres a huge cast in the game which creates some memorable characters indivual to each section however there is some crossovers which are nice to see. The storys great and so is the gameplay which plays like a third person cover based shooter, and with the ability use every gun in the game (after you buy, get given or find them) means you can constantly adapt. Dead eye (slows down time and allows you to target partes of the body) works well and its impresive that if you shoot someone in the leg they react to it and can literally be brought to their knees. The single player can last a while with quite a few side missions which are more like side storys which add to the overall length and imersion. then theres the multiplayer which is on par with the single, everything you do helps you level up and the free roam is full of mini missions you and your posse can do, there are also a string of competitive games to play which work well and are good fun and never seem to get old so like me you can pour hours and hours into the online without it feeling repetitive or boring. There are a few glitches but they don't ruining the experience and the graphics which aren't mind blowing still look good and are enough to keep you imersed. I feel I should talk about the lighting which is spectacular and very realistic, everyting has a shadow and the game looks amazing when theres lightning happening. Everyone needs this game its so deep and John Marston is one of the best game characters rockstar could have chosen to play lead man, his voice acting is top notch and you really beging to care about him and his struggles. Its simply the best game ever and deserves everyones attention. Expand
  61. Jul 18, 2013
    There have been tried and failed attempts to modernise the Western setting for video games, Hollywood had quite the hype with its over abundance of Spaghetti Westerns, yet they never truly left their mark on the gaming world. But when Rockstar announced that they would be creating a "spiritual sequel" to Red Dead Revolver, the air became ripe with anticipation at the thought of the developers of the hugely popular Grand Theft Auto series. Many began to assume that the game would be "Grand Theft Horses" yet while many of the gameplay elements of GTA come across to this Western genre, the statement couldn't be further from the truth.
    In true Western style, Red Dead Redemption captures all the glory, guts and gallantry that we have come to know from countless films and pop culture. Combining a fascinating yet heartbreaking story centred around the outlaw turned neutral cowboy John Marston, a man who wants to right his past wrongs and settle down with his family...easier said than done.
    As we are introduced to our protagonist, we also get a glimpse of the massive, sprawling and beautiful frontier we will soon get to explore at will. Every mechanic is polished to the point of near-perfection, whether you want to go out capture bounties or simply kill them, you can target various body parts or even shoot their hats off, the attention to detail is really quite mesmerising, from the vibrant wildlife to the inhabitants of the various towns, watching drunken men stagger home or watching women being chased and choosing whether to intervene or not. Much of this decision making takes place throughout the game, you could be the most villainous man to walk the prairie or be a legend and hero in the west, whatever you please and however you see fit.
    With this comes the very realistic gameplay approach that Rockstar have become accustomed to, horses move and gallop in a very realistic motion, they have stamina like the rest of us, the gunfights and shooting mechanics have come a long away since GTA IV, combining fluid and fast-paced style with enjoyable and simplistic ease. This works brilliantly with expansive world that Rockstar have created, with vast expanses of detailed deserts or snowy mountaintops filled with all sorts of wildlife that can be killed and skinned for money, or which contribute to contribute to upgrading the wardrobe of Marston. The open world and freedom comes into play in force as you can play a shoot em' up style by killing everything in site, or save damsels and men being chased by wild dogs, why not help the local sheriff clear out s gang hideout or be in it for yourself and max out your character until you see fit.
    In terms of the story, it can feel a little forced and sometimes lacking in surprise, with many objectives consisting of learning the ropes if surviving the Wild West, sometime when a mission seems over, it keeps going, and many of the decisions John Marston makes can directly oppose the personality they he has been moulded in. But this does indeed take a drastic turn in the closing moments of the story, a triumph amongst video game endings that sits among the best finales ever seen.
    The game delivers a homage and callback to pretty much everything we have come to know about the Old West, the taverns, the horseback, the beautiful horizon, the duels in the muddy street with a brave onlooker, and the beauty of the place may just sit with you, in awe and amazement and general satisfaction for another success for Rockstar.
    Whether you are veteran in the GTA universe or a fan of the Westerns of yesteryear, Red Dead Redemption brings everything to the table, giving the player ultimate freedom and endless capabilities to roam the massive frontier, it's safe to say that this could well be a masterpiece, and from a personal level a true triumph in gaming and quite possibly among the greatest.
  62. Dec 23, 2011
    It's kind of funny; after checking out a few of my favorite games on this site I was compelled to create an account in order to write positive reviews about them. This game won numerous game of the year awards, and was honestly the best game from Rockstar I've played since San Andreas. Yet somehow there are folks that actually gave this a negative rating. I'm not sure how this is possible.

When I first purchased this game I was not looking forward to it very much. I thought "Gee, this is going to be Grand Theft Horse, oh well, hope its fun". I'm not a fan of westerns, as that genre doesn't really interest me much. However this game won me over 100%. The gameplay is quite compelling, the main storyline is compelling in the way a good novel, or great movie is compelling. I personally put in a lot of late nights finishing portions of the content just to see what happened next. I was so enthralled by the game that, immediately after completing it, I started a new game over again. As I mentioned before this won numerous game of the year awards for 2010 and all of them were well deserved. I personally can't wait for the rumored sequel.
  63. Jan 2, 2012
    This game is the best western Cowboy game available personally and It has fairly good graphics and very fun Missions it really gives you the effect of a western cowboy and his adventure to redeem his old life
  64. Jan 1, 2012
    The best game RockStar has ever made in my opinion, yes, even better than GTA. Much lasting appeal, some of the best graphics around, good sounds and awesome gameplay (even riding a horse around is fun).
    An incredible campaign is joined by a solid multiplayer experience. A Western game can't get any better than this. 10/10
  65. Feb 29, 2012
    Wow. I have played some amazing games with great gameplay, story and a fantastic universe, but I have never played a game as good as this. I only picked this up at the start of this year, and I really regret waiting so long to do so. Red Dead Redemption is Rockstar's masterpiece. It blends a fantastic story, great gameplay and an incredibly immersive, gorgeous world that really feels like a living world. I'll start by talking about the graphics. The graphics are absolutely breath-taking. Two years after its release and Red Dead is still one of the best looking games I have ever played. The wild west looks fantastic and diverse and has a gigantic scope. I have never really been compelled to explore any open world games- GTA4 didn't really have an interesting world, in Skyrim I just spammed the fast travel and in many other open world games I just only focused on the story. However in Red Dead Redemption the world is so beautiful that simply riding my horse around the Wild West is enough to keep me incredibly entertained. Now I will talk about the story. The story seems like a simple western but it is still fantastic. It is the story of a man called John Marston. At the beginning John gets shot and left to die by former gang mate Bill Williamson. He is taken in by a woman named Bonnie MacFarlane who tends to his wounds and lets him stay at her ranch. Marston then goes on a journey to try and find Bill Williamson and kill him before he kills his family. It's an interesting story filled with some whacky, interesting and compelling characters. There wasn't a single character (with the exception of Nigel West Dickens) who annoyed me. The gameplay was just fantastic. The main weapons I used were a rifle, shotgun, knife, pistol and a lasso. All of them look good and feel powerful, because every bullet of a gun that hits an enemy, every victim you throw your lasso at reacts well and realistically, a shot to the leg won't necessarily kill, whereas a shot to the chest or head can kill instantly. The horse riding is a bit wonky at first, however you get used to it after a while and you wouldn't have the horse riding controls any other way. There are a lot of activities to do in Red Dead. From cattle herding, horse breaking, assaulting gang hideouts, playing poker, liar's dice and blackjack, hunting and more. There are also treasures to find and a lot of cool costumes to unlock, with the Mexican poncho being the highlight of all the costumes. There are just so many things to do in the massive world of Red Dead Redemption and you'll never feel bored of what you are doing. The bottom line is that Red Dead Redemption is an absolute masterpiece. It blends a fantastic open world, a great story, fantastic gameplay and charming characters. Red Dead Redemption is single handedly the best game I have ever played. Rockstar are simply the master game creators, and I cannot wait to see what is next for the Read Dead series. You absolutely have to buy this game, your money will be well spent and you will enjoy it for hours, even if you aren't a fan of western movies. Expand
  66. Jan 7, 2012
    A true masterpiece. Everything from the story to the soundtrack is just incredible. There is so much content to indulge in and you can spend countless hours just exploring the beautiful landscapes. The multiplayer is a blast and is surprisingly deep. The gameplay is as smooth as ever and Rockstar's Engine truly shines. All of the downloadable content is great as well and shouldn't be missed.
  67. Aug 19, 2012
    Probably one of my favorite games of all time!! This is truly an amazing adventure. The plot is compelling and unforgettable, the combat is fun, the land is vast and gorgeous, and the music perfectly fits the atmosphere of the game. Other than a few glitch moments here and there, this is one of the best games of this generation!!
  68. Nov 13, 2012
    This is one of the few true masterpieces this gen. Single player was way more than just a GTA clone converted into a western. Even the multiplayer wasn't all that bad. I'm doing this review as the game was a few months post-release. The story was actually moving to the point that I was enraged about what occurs at some points in the game. That is a going thing though. If the narrative doesn't provoke any emotion then its crap...like Borderlands 1. I think this is a must have for anyone with a PS3, especially now that its super cheap. Expand
  69. Feb 29, 2012
    red dead redemption is easily one of the best games ever created. It's definitely in my personal top 5 games I've ever played: really good and immersive story, great controls, great graphics and environment and long singleplayer!
  70. Mar 2, 2012
    Red Dead Redemption is one of those games that suck you in for weeks.
    When I first started the game I didn't like the controls and I thought that the main character is not very cool.After 3 hours,when finally got used to controls, I just couldn't stop playing.Most amazing thing in this game is that you never get bored.There are tons of things to do in single player,like hunting all the
    animals,doing different side quests and so on.During the story missions,even when you are just riding to some destination for a long time,you still don't get bored,because of the super interesting dialogues between characters.This game is a smash hit,you miss so much if you don't play it. Expand
  71. Jan 18, 2013
    If you hate this game you're not a gamer, simple as that. No, I'm not a Rockstar fanboy but it's really so goddamn obvious that Red Dead Redemption is the best game this gen, by far and that is a fact.
  72. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Red Dead is a masterpeice, plain and simple. The story is breathtaking and will leave you wanting more, yet being satisfied. The free roam is fun and has the added joy of joining a posse with friends and fighting other gangs. The story is extremely long and occasionally slow, but in the end it will suck you in and not let go. Fokes leave your computer and buy this game immediately!!! Expand
  73. Feb 3, 2013
    One of the best games off all time. Awesome history graphics gameplay and the zombie DLC on the Old West revilocionate the gaming industry! the multiplayer is a bit fuzzy but its still very good
  74. Apr 4, 2012
    This game blows all the GTA games to water .The wild west version with an nice storyline amazing missons and has a lot to offer .the multiplayer is dissapointing but other than that it is a fanstastic game
  75. Apr 6, 2012
    This game is perfect. Absolutely perfect. The visuals are stunning and are never boring to look at. The gameplay is fun, meaty and feels right, every gun feels powerful and sounds perfect, the rag doll physics are the best I've seen in the game. The story is good enough to make you care and forget about how much time you've played. The world is filled with mini games, side quests, random encounters, gang hideouts, hunting, it feels alive. I would recommend this game to anyone, hardcore to casual, and that's why it deserves a 10/10. Expand
  76. Apr 9, 2012
    This is a fantastic game by Rockstar.
    The wild west has never been properly portrayed in another game, and RDR does a great job at doing so.
    One of the best games this generation.
  77. Jun 10, 2012
    Rockstar just hit the right spot with Read Dead Redemption.
    At the same time it's easy to explain, it's hard. The easy part's that RDR is very much like GTA, except by the fact it's Western themed. The hard part's that, besides the similarity of the genre, RDR has some artistic touch that GTA doesn't. The dialogues, the picking of the words and the conversation itself were mastered, in
    this game. It's really hilarious sometimes, as as well dramatic and deep other times. Plus, the voice acting is perfect, just how every game should be (in special, the voice of John Marston, the protagonist, is badass and awesome as hell). Story-wise, RDR has a decent story. It's not the best story out there, but it really gets the job done. The details in the world around helps to build an atmosphere that truly makes you feel as if you're in a Western world.
    The graphics are amazing. The world is beatiful. It's wonderful to literally ride to the sunset, or at dawn. The character models are not the best in the market. In one hand, facial animations are a bit poor, but nothing too much terrible to complain; in other, the body animations are very good and make the game look good.
    The gameplay is easy to get: point the dot and shoot. The good stuff here lies in the dead eye system. You can slow time and mark the targets you wanna shoot. When you press the trigger, everything you marked goes to the ground. It makes you look like a **** badass cowboy. The gun duels are amusing, too. But be advised: you can lose many hours in the game just playing card games, such as blackjack or poker. There are also games such liar's dice and horseshoes, In the end, all of them are pretty fun. RDR features side quests and outfits-hunting for the most adventurous players.
    Red Dead Redemption is an epic Western game that will suck you in with the roughness and glory of a rich world, fun gameplay and good story. It's just Rockstar being awesome again.
  78. Aug 8, 2012
    Now this is a true masterpiece by Rockstar. This is the best game of its year, and people are gonna remember this game for decades. Where else you can relive the Wild West?

Red Dead Redemption has everything a gamer can ask: story, graphics, gameplay, sound and it never grow old.
  79. May 18, 2012
    this game was a masterpiece. from beginning to end, I loved every second of it. I loved that you actually had to hunt, the characters, the story line, side missions, everything basically. I feel this game is a must buy, because it is so diverse and entertaining. I want RDR 2!
  80. Aug 1, 2012
    THE... GREATEST... GAME.... EFFIN EVER!!! If you didn't like this game you have zero concept of character development, plot, climax and a perfect ending to a perfect game. Go play Call of Duty if you don't enjoy this game where you just mindlessly run around and shoot people. I highly doubt a better game will ever be made. A masterpiece within gaming. Absolute perfection. Actually, I think I hate you if you don't like this game. Expand
  81. Jun 8, 2012
    An awesome game, with an amazing storyline one of my favourite games, with a massive open world and brilliant scenery, the storyline of this game is enthralling and would make any player who enjoys open world games want to play the whole thing through. This is another well designed game by Rockstar, also the ending has a twist to most games.
    even if people find the controls of the game
    hard to use, or find other part of the game annoying it definitely makes up for this with the graphics and storyline. An important game for any gamer to play. Expand
  82. Nov 14, 2012
    Must play. Must own. Must experience gem. Beautiful world and great music to reflect the atmosphere that is the wild west. Memorable protagonist and great campaign mode. GREAT game. Sega was my first game system and o how far we've come. RDR is a real treat. Bought the game for 20 bucks and worth every money and then some.
  83. Jun 15, 2012
    Turned off by the whole western theme, I was reluctant to pick this game up. Now I admit that this is by far one of the best games I have played in decades. Solid game play, but the story and well developed characters make this one of the best. The writing and voice acting would put most highly acclaimed movies to shame. Play it through to the end and the ending will blow you away.
  84. Jul 21, 2012
    An amazing setting, Red Dead Redemption is one of the best games that I have played. Fantastic graphics, awesome gameplay and realistic sound effects. This game has everything and with over 30 hours of game time, this is a game which is well worth your money. Thought towards the end, riding on a horse was becoming slightly tiresome but that was only because of the huge sandbox map.
  85. Jun 19, 2013
    One of the best games ever made for the PS3. Beautiful, fun, characters are great, open world, great story. So much better than GTA IV (thought GTA IV characters and stories were lacking). But in short, this is a must have for any person that owns a PS3.
  86. Jul 28, 2012
    To keep it short, it is 2012 and I still imagine myself playing this game, the story is engaging, the people feel alive, the maim character is someone I for once cared about, and the gameplay never gets old. A game about vengeance, family and redemption is perfectly displayed through both comical yet serious dialogue keeps the game alive. Main story aside, side quests, or random events such as a man chased by wolves in need of your help continue to spring up continuously as the realism of this game mixed into mind where I believed I was a cowboy saving a women from bandits while hunting in the huge open world for bears while herding cows. Everything honestly recieves a 10. Expand
  87. Oct 4, 2012
    Red Dead Redemption is Rockstar's greatest achievement. No open world game matches the epic scale, storytelling, and environments packed into the game. This is the best Western to grace a gaming system and is certainly worth your time. There is much bang for your buck here.
  88. Aug 9, 2012
    Most reviews of this game fail to mention that the multiplayer offering is the most varied set of gametypes on the market and with such a large community, you never have to wait for a game even in the less popular modes. at my last count there were around 30 different ways to play the online mode and they are definitely not just minor variations. the variety could not be overstated. there are your basic assortment of one-sided (two round) and two-sided (one round) team games plus the obligatory free-for-all, but of these classics which amount to about 7 playlists, there are wildly divergent modes, starting with the 16 player free-roam, where the entire map is available and filled with enemies, marshals, animals, civilians, and other players with whom you can form officially recognized alliances or hostilities. It's also worth mentioning that there is a distinct difference between the structured gametypes where every player starts with the same weaponry and has access to the same weapons placed on the map, and the free-roam where every player levels up their character unlocking and equiping things along the way, leading to the excitement of "earning your spurs" so to speak. there are online gambling lobies, (Excellent) racing lobies, and a great co-op mode with multiple difficulties where up to four players advance through a story-driven mission with a narrator and are able to revive one another in order to keep the action going (once the mission is completed or everyone is dead the mission is over). The game of the year edition contains all the DLC which mostly effects the online adding things like king of the hill to free-roam, but most notably the Zombies expansion, including an online co-op zombie hoard mode to kill for. And since i didn't mention it anywhere else. the games single player would still be stand alone game of the year by itself. Expand
  89. Mar 16, 2013
    This fantastic game with deep storyline played more with my emotions that any other game I remember. It's masterpiece with great graphics, very good control mechanics and absolutely brilliant game-play and story. It's not just GTA in Wild West. It's living world you will be sucked into.
  90. Oct 14, 2012
    The best game i've ever played. The best story ever told in a video game, the environment of the wild west portrayed to perfection, an open world experience like no other and John Marston is one of the best characters ever made in a video game. The multiplayer is good but the controls could be better in my opinion, but who cares! The rest is absolutely perfect. 100%.
  91. Oct 30, 2012
    This is actually the first Rockstar game that i have even finished ! And i have finished it at 100%... twice ! If you ever dream to be a cowboy, this game will let you do everything a cowboy can do ! You can play poker, start a fight in a bar, catch someone with a lasso and drag him with your horse and much more. The story is great, the ending epic and there is a lot of things to do ! Really a great game ! Expand
  92. Nov 5, 2012
    With Batman AC and Uncharted 2, this game is in my top 3 of this generation. The map is very big, the history is very good, fun multiplayer, great climate, good gameplay. The graphics is not good as XBox 360 version, but i think its not a problem to have days of fun with this masterpiece.
  93. Oct 29, 2013
    Red Dead Redemption is a five star game. Unique and one of a kind. From main story missions to side missions and all. Everything about this game will keep you hooked until the end.
  94. Nov 15, 2012
    Ok, i was a Western movie lover i always used to watch Western movies and i loved Red Dead Revolver i have always loved Rockstar Games and Then.... Red Dead Redemption i pre-ordered the game because i liked the trailers and Gameplays so bad! and the game got me in love with it 89 hours of gameplay i loved it it's the best PS3,360 game i think i just have to say this...MASTERPIECE
  95. Dec 6, 2012
    I don't give it a 10 just because it's not perfect and I would never grade it above MGS but it sure is one of the best games out there, sometimes it does seems boring but it's the Old West what did you expect there weren't many things to do at the time!! but all the mini games and all the missions are so cool, every hour spend on this game it was fun. How about killing a wild beast pealing their skin and sell it at the store!!! how cool is that!! This is A MUST on your PS3 games collection. Expand
  96. Nov 29, 2012
    The ending of this game was so epic, i almost cried (seriously), i finished it more or less at 00:00 and i couldn't sleep thinking on John Marston. This game is what i call masterpiece. the environment, the interactivity, the hunting and every aspect on this game were epic. I didn't expected less from RockStar since they gave us GTA that game that every played one played for his cheats and a lot of hours of fun. The story of this game was excellent, one of the best i have ever saw in video games. One of the best games on ps3 and a perfect multiplayer. Just "EPIC" and congratulations RockStar! Expand
  97. Jan 22, 2013
    First of all Rockstar finally made a better game than Grand Theft Auto since i was addicted GTA. But this really standed out in the Hall of Fame. The best Rockstar game since Grand Theft Auto IV.
  98. Dec 28, 2012
  99. Dec 30, 2012
    Very nice game! Like a GTA western :) Open world, nic graphics, epic missions, great story and more... If you have Playstation 3 you must buy this great game!
  100. Jan 5, 2013
    PERFECT history
    PERFECT gameplay
    PERFECT (the best i ever **** seen) shooting mode
    PERFECT graphics (it's 2013 and they still surprise me)
    PERFECT scenarios
    PERFECT ambientation of west
    PERFECT
    PERFECT
    **** PERFECT
  101. Apr 16, 2012

1. The game perfectly captures the expansiveness of frontier life and the gritty gunplay of spaghetti westerns, rightfully earning its place alongside the great Western films and the best Rockstar games. [Issue#206, p.86]
  2. Rockstar's skill in creating a believable, functioning world with a distinct, coherent and consistent atmosphere is peerless. The broad-brush vision is masterful.
  3. Red Dead Redemption is a masterpiece. This game is the perfect example of how a developer should work to create the best atmosphere and to represent a beautiful historical situation. The graphics, the gameplay elements and everything else is at top level. Buy Red Dead Redemption, now!