8.8

Generally favorable reviews- based on 1951 Ratings

1. Jul 11, 2011
    This game is beautiful. The vast landscape, the bustling western towns, the dynamic characters, this game is one of the greatest of this gen. Good job, Rockstar.
  2. Aug 20, 2010
    Much, much better than GTA 4. Before anybody bashes me with this phrase, hear me out - it is simply a better game, it has that class and charm that I feel was lost after the GTA games on PS2. The graphics are very clean, the landscapes are fantastic (particularly at sunrise/sunset), a part of you feels like you're back in a classic Spaghetti Western when you play this, it's veryMuch, much better than GTA 4. Before anybody bashes me with this phrase, hear me out - it is simply a better game, it has that class and charm that I feel was lost after the GTA games on PS2. The graphics are very clean, the landscapes are fantastic (particularly at sunrise/sunset), a part of you feels like you're back in a classic Spaghetti Western when you play this, it's very authentic looking. The controls don't have a steep learning curve, the music is well done, even though I think this was the game's main weakness (I would have brought in Ennio Morricone for it), the characters are full of life (and if you have friends similar to Irish, it makes it all the more amusing), the side missions are mixed in difficulty and can happen anytime you're out on your horse or for a walk. Pure and simply, if you're interested in American History, Movies about the wild west, Graphic Novels about the wild west, dressing up like a Cowboy to a rodeo show, playing the hero or the antagonist, travelling around the south western USA and mexico, and have a 360 or PS3 available - this is a game that deserves a good look! Expand
  3. Sep 9, 2010
    This game is a sigh that even games like GTA IV are now a thing of the past. Rockstar delivered a masterpiece that is worthy of GOTY for 2010. Plus, one of the best endings in recent gaming history!
  4. Sep 10, 2010
    Open-World Western? Check. Arsenal of weapons at the users disposal? Check. Expansive, detailed, massive world? Check. Rockstar once again essentially raises the bar for the open-world genre. With enough missions and side quests to keep you busy for hours-upon-hours, a world where every inch begs to be explored, and a cast of memorable characters who follow an engaging, adrenaline-fueledOpen-World Western? Check. Arsenal of weapons at the users disposal? Check. Expansive, detailed, massive world? Check. Rockstar once again essentially raises the bar for the open-world genre. With enough missions and side quests to keep you busy for hours-upon-hours, a world where every inch begs to be explored, and a cast of memorable characters who follow an engaging, adrenaline-fueled plot, this game is simply put, phenomenal. Red Dead Redemption is a shining example of how to make a western game, and one no fan of the genre should miss. If your not convinced to buy the game yet, apparently you have yet to drag a helpless civilian by the feet behind your horse as you ride off into the sunset. Expand
  5. Sep 14, 2010
    Red Dead is a brand of its own, hosting a massive world of rustic locales, interesting npcs, and beautiful graphics. What it does best though is it captures the Western feel of cinema, something very few games have ever done right (if ever). A long game depending how you play, which is very ambiguous and up to the player. Whether your hunting, capturing a bounty, free roaming, or justRed Dead is a brand of its own, hosting a massive world of rustic locales, interesting npcs, and beautiful graphics. What it does best though is it captures the Western feel of cinema, something very few games have ever done right (if ever). A long game depending how you play, which is very ambiguous and up to the player. Whether your hunting, capturing a bounty, free roaming, or just killing innocents, Red Dead has something for everyone; the cowboys, and the cowboys at heart. Expand
  6. Sep 14, 2010
    Fantastic game, a GTA beater I don't know. If your looking for an interesting, new, different open world game then you could not go wrong with RDR. If your interested in cowboy movies and you have a small interest in computer games, then this will turn you in to a gaming addict, If your interested in computer games and have a small interest in cowboy movies then you will love this game. IfFantastic game, a GTA beater I don't know. If your looking for an interesting, new, different open world game then you could not go wrong with RDR. If your interested in cowboy movies and you have a small interest in computer games, then this will turn you in to a gaming addict, If your interested in computer games and have a small interest in cowboy movies then you will love this game. If your just interested in computer games, then there's a good chance that you will love this game anyway. Expand
  7. Sep 27, 2010
    I give this game a 10 out of 10 but I wish I can give it more. The game was a mixture of class, amazing graphics, perpetually interesting gameplay, and a great storyline.
  8. Oct 3, 2010
    "Oh bury me not on the lone prairie. Where the coyotes wail and the wind blows free. And when I die, don't bury me beneath the western sky, on the lone prairie."

Red Dead Redemption is the missing link between players and wild west, since there is no possiblity go back in the wild west, this game is the next best thing, and oh it's good. I'm big fan of western movies and games, this game

I'm big fan of western movies and games, this game makes the impossible to possible by offerring very deep and authentic feeling wild west for players to play, visit, travel, ride and live.

"Oh bury me not on the lone prairie. This words came soft and painfully from the pallid lips of a youth who lay on his dyin' bed, at the break of day."

RDR looks pretty amazing on consoles and if there's coming PC version I think it will be also must buy.

Gameplay is almost identical to GTA IV but there is few minor differences, like swimming that isn't possible in RDR. Shooting and hunting is probably the second best part in this game, but riding on sunset with fast horse and perfect music playing on background is absolutely the best part in whole game.

At the end of one mission player had to ride to Mexico and there was perfectly fitting music track playing and sun is starting to set behind the horizon, oh my god it was amazing.

"But we buried him there, on the lone prairie where the rattle snakes hiss and the wind blows free. In a shallow grave, no one to grieve beneath the western sky, on the lone prairie."

Red Dead Redemption is true masterpiece and well executed piece of art. It's the only game that I have bough dlc packs and will keep buying. For everyone who is interested in wild west or western movies this is a must buy.

"Oh bury me not on the lone prairie. These words came soft and painfully from the pallid lips of a youth who lay on his dyin' bed, at the break of day. On his dyin' bed, at the break of day."
  9. Oct 13, 2010
    Red Dead Redemption is legendary!!!
    Red Dead Redemption is legendary!!!
    The truth is i was never really into the whole west thing and was extremely skeptical about RDR because of rockstars previous games ,mainly GTA. GTA got on my nerves because it always felt like the same thing, the only difference was location and story. But now rockstar has exploded my faith in them with one of the most beautiful,most innovative and the biggest games i have ever played!!I now love the west and all the cowboy stuff!!!This is one of those games that you will remember for the rest of your life!!YOU ROCKSTAR!!!LOL
  10. Oct 18, 2010
    This is not just GTA with horses. Red Dead Redemption isn't a good game, its a great game. Definitely feels like something worthy of game of the year, and is definitely Rockstar's best title ever. An open world western setting with tons of innovation and new ideas with great voice acting to go with great story telling. Graphically wise everything looks very good also and with tons of extraThis is not just GTA with horses. Red Dead Redemption isn't a good game, its a great game. Definitely feels like something worthy of game of the year, and is definitely Rockstar's best title ever. An open world western setting with tons of innovation and new ideas with great voice acting to go with great story telling. Graphically wise everything looks very good also and with tons of extra side content in the game this is one that could hold you over for a while. Expand
  11. Oct 31, 2010
    i love this game and i still continue to play it now... the graphics are amazing the story is great and the world is just alive... yes this game is better than gta because rockstar have taken the GTA formula and then made it better... no its not GTA on a horse its like a simulator of wat life was like as a cowboy....essential buy it now...
  12. Mar 25, 2013
    One of the best environments I've ever seen in a video game. It makes you feel like you're in the wild west. Rockstar always has really great voice acting and storytelling. This game may be their best.
  13. May 25, 2011
    Rockstars best game. This game is so much better than all their other games in every aspect (apart from L.A. Noire which is much more innovative). Shortly: it's GTA: Cowboy but with a lot of improvements.
    The game has amazing graphics, some of the best characters in a video gamer ever, a quite good story, great gameplay, dynamic environment: you can go hunting, saving people, killing people, stealing stuff, robbing stuff, catching criminals etc etc ... and all this feels really realistic and alive. The only thing I can bash on is that it's still the standard (in the main quest) go from "point A to point B" thing. There is no real choice on how to do a mission which feels very linear to the rest of the game. But anyhow, it's one of the best games ever and it's definatley Rockstars best game. Love it.
  14. Nov 11, 2010
    Having played all the GTA series I was anxious to get this game. It is a truly absorbing and atmospheric game , expansive and enthralling. However one can't help feeling that because GTA exists it never fully feels 'new' and because of that the impact is lost a little. If you have never really played GTA go for this straight off, you wont be dissappointed. Even if you have GTA I wouldHaving played all the GTA series I was anxious to get this game. It is a truly absorbing and atmospheric game , expansive and enthralling. However one can't help feeling that because GTA exists it never fully feels 'new' and because of that the impact is lost a little. If you have never really played GTA go for this straight off, you wont be dissappointed. Even if you have GTA I would recommend. Its a superb game. The game is worth playing just for the wow factor of looking at the views and listening to the wildlife. Id put it close to GTA but not quite a GTA 4 beater. Expand
  15. Aug 2, 2011
    This is not only the best game I have ever played; I think it belongs in a new class. Nothing else has come close. It is the most immersive open world experience out there. The graphics are stunning graphics, the voice acting excellent, and the sheer number of interesting activities is mind-boggling. This is not simply GTA with horses, it is a significant leap ahead.
  16. Nov 10, 2010
    I took the Madame of Thieves' Landing, hogtied her to train tracks then sat back and watched in sadistic glory as the train roared on by and a little pop-up in the corner of my screen alerted me that I received the "Dastardly" trophy (I swear I felt somewhat bad). How can you not give this game at 10 out of 10.

Great soundtrack too, by the way.
  17. Sep 13, 2011
    Dull. This is the best word for this game. Sorry, but I am not interested in skinning racoons, or riding MILES across plains to get to the next shootout. Yes, beautiful, atmospheric, clever, well made. But dull.
  18. Nov 21, 2010
    There is no where near enough words to describe the majesty and scale of this unforgettable western adventure, so you will simply have to play it yourself. The characters and plot are well fleshed; John Marston is probably the coolest character ever made in a video game. The graphics are beautiful, the sky a wish-wash of oranges and reds at sunset and a bright electric blue at day. WhilstThere is no where near enough words to describe the majesty and scale of this unforgettable western adventure, so you will simply have to play it yourself. The characters and plot are well fleshed; John Marston is probably the coolest character ever made in a video game. The graphics are beautiful, the sky a wish-wash of oranges and reds at sunset and a bright electric blue at day. Whilst it is not of the length of the likes of GTA IV, the journey through is probably better (just). Absolutely essential to any game collection, this game is a modern gaming masterpiece. 95%. Expand
  19. Jan 6, 2011
    Awesome game. Rockstar has outdone themselves on this one. Excellent atmosphere that really give the feel of a Western world. Large variety of weapons and horses. Good gameplay mechanics and a good system for online play.....Love the posse.
  20. Apr 4, 2012
    Never was a fan of GTA series but a big fan of Westerns. So I was intrigued at the concept of a sandbox game mixed with a Western background. The result was one of the best gaming experiences ever. The storyline is greatly influenced by classic Western movies like The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Plus, the soundtrack is one of most memorable pieces of music I've had the pleasure of listening to.
  21. Apr 16, 2012
    Red Dead Redemption is a game that gets everything right: The script, the acting, the atmosphere, the game mechanics and most importantly the emotional connection. There have been few games that have moved me quite like RDR. It's ending is a masterstroke of subtlety, which is something you rarely see from gaming. If you play the game as it was intended (like a hero and not a GTAIV thug),Red Dead Redemption is a game that gets everything right: The script, the acting, the atmosphere, the game mechanics and most importantly the emotional connection. There have been few games that have moved me quite like RDR. It's ending is a masterstroke of subtlety, which is something you rarely see from gaming. If you play the game as it was intended (like a hero and not a GTAIV thug), it has a contemplative, lilting tone that stays with you long after the credits have rolled. Red Dead Redemption is a true adult gaming classic; mature, well written and with a huge heart. Basically speaking, it's one of the best games that I've ever played. Expand
  22. Dec 31, 2010
    Out of Rockstar Games, it was actually the best I saw, but I still believe this game does not deserve to be in Game of the Year because although the game had amazing gameplay and storyline, the battle system was a little too unoriginal just because it shows the Old West. If I look closely, I still believe that Final Fantasy 13 shows better graphics, storyline, and even gameplay becauseOut of Rockstar Games, it was actually the best I saw, but I still believe this game does not deserve to be in Game of the Year because although the game had amazing gameplay and storyline, the battle system was a little too unoriginal just because it shows the Old West. If I look closely, I still believe that Final Fantasy 13 shows better graphics, storyline, and even gameplay because that game was the first to indtroduce a new concept which I understand was not perfect. Expand
  23. Feb 28, 2011
    So, this is one of the best games I've ever played, hands down. It's not the grudgingly good score some give games that are rated well but not quite as enjoyable as expected, nor is it one that I am fanboyish about because I just happened to be in the perfect mood for it one sleepless night. Those games, and we all know there are plenty of examples of each, all have something to improveSo, this is one of the best games I've ever played, hands down. It's not the grudgingly good score some give games that are rated well but not quite as enjoyable as expected, nor is it one that I am fanboyish about because I just happened to be in the perfect mood for it one sleepless night. Those games, and we all know there are plenty of examples of each, all have something to improve on. Yet RDR has nothing to improve on, it simply gives us a living, breathing world, and lets us romp around in it like the heroes of westerns would have, but with the self-conscious modernist philosophical twist Rockstar showed more crudely in GTA. The societal commentary is there, but more intelligent and not as nihilistic or snarky as in GTA. Much more consistent message and world all around here.

So, the GTA formula is inevitably what this game will be compared to by anyone who ever played Rockstar's stuff since GTA 3. And it's a fair comparison because it's superficially just like GTA, but, unlike GTA, it is quite refined in action. There is no tedious travel because you can quick travel with a minimum amount of downtime, yet you can appreciate the landscape if you wish by just riding toward the sun and seeing where it leads you (try it at sunset, it's pretty and it's fun).

The GTA formula could not, IMHO, get much more refined than this, because not only is it convenient, but it encourages you to explore and has a TON of stuff for anyone who wants to go outside the storyline and play around. There are 10 ranks in 4 different categories of various tasks, in hunting, shooting, picking herbs, and treasure hunting. I love all these activites, and it's fun to work on them because they feel so natural in conjunction with running around across the landscape.

So rather than rehash what you can read in dozens of professional reviews, I guess I want to say, to clear away all the informational overload, how I react to this game overall, and how it fits into the landscape of gaming these days. This game is more like Oblivion than any other, I believe, because its best character is the world in which everything takes place. Except unlike Oblivion, its polish, detail, and mind-boggling variety will even impress the most pissy, jaded critics. The world has a personality of its own, and there are two basic themes that shine through this entire experience - a rustic nostalgia we all love from the best 50's westerns, and also the kind of serious humanistic character-driven drama we get from the best modern cinema. There are plenty of examples of both in this game, which is one of the biggest reasons that it succeeds so well, that it does not simply flip the bird to everyone the way Grand Theft Auto did. There is depth and maturity in, not only the story, but the whole world and style. This, folks, is a video game world if there ever was one, not just a haphazard collection of missions - so get it already if you have a PS3 or 360 and if you love quality games. And, on a side note, if jaggies bother you in your games you will have to get used to them, especially for the PS3 version, which has quite a bit of aliasing that distorts the otherwise beautiful landscape. Odd since the PS3 is so much more powerful with exclusives. As a PC gamer I am especially picky about graphics, but even compared to many other PS3 games the jaggies are pretty noticeable, and I heard the 360 version's graphics are smoother.

To close, I did read about the exploitation of the Rockstar SD employees by executives, and I think it's a travesty - if someday a Rockstar SD employee might read this review, the silent majority of gamers wish you could've been given an extra year to make this game if that meant you could've worked a reasonable work week. To think that the few hundred men and women who made one of the greatest games of our generation had to worry about their labor rights being upheld is simply ridiculous. But in the end we all appreciate your blood, sweat, and tears, and we hope you continue to do more fantastic work in the future. The game speaks for itself.
  24. Sep 28, 2011
    I don't think I've ever grown to care so much about a character as I did with John Marston. The story is so well crafted and every character feels so believable. I've never liked "doing nothing" in games, but I'd rather do nothing in this game than do something in most games. I understand if some people think this game is hyped and don't enjoy this. But everything in this game is just soI don't think I've ever grown to care so much about a character as I did with John Marston. The story is so well crafted and every character feels so believable. I've never liked "doing nothing" in games, but I'd rather do nothing in this game than do something in most games. I understand if some people think this game is hyped and don't enjoy this. But everything in this game is just so beautiful and well thought out. Quite buggy from time to time, but nothing too serious. An incredible cowboy simulator, I really really got into the western feeling. Riding is incredible and missions are great! This is the first gime where I really cared about doing everything 100% because I couldn't stop playing it. Also, when the game was over I felt sad for days - I'm not kidding. There was such a big emptiness and I wish I could erase my memory and play it from the beginning. Truly a masterpiece in gaming, much better than GTA IV. Expand
  25. Jan 7, 2011
    Beautiful, stylish and engrossing. If you ever had the yearning to be a cowboy in the old west then Rockstar have got all the bases covered. From duels in the streets to poker in a bar in Mexico to watching the sun set ove rthe mountains there is every activity you could ever want to enjoy in the game. Story wise the tale of John Marston is engrossing and you feel deeply connected toBeautiful, stylish and engrossing. If you ever had the yearning to be a cowboy in the old west then Rockstar have got all the bases covered. From duels in the streets to poker in a bar in Mexico to watching the sun set ove rthe mountains there is every activity you could ever want to enjoy in the game. Story wise the tale of John Marston is engrossing and you feel deeply connected to the character throughout the game. This is one of Rockstar's best moments and one which has gameplay for many months to come. Expand
  26. Jan 21, 2011
    Rockstar may be well known for their Grand Theft Auto series, but Red Dead Redemption is the game to remember the company by. The game feels much more complete, engaging, open, and fun than GTAIV. Everything you do in the single player is a ton of fun. From the tasks such as hunting and games, to saving civilians and doing other side objectives. not only that, but the multiplayer isRockstar may be well known for their Grand Theft Auto series, but Red Dead Redemption is the game to remember the company by. The game feels much more complete, engaging, open, and fun than GTAIV. Everything you do in the single player is a ton of fun. From the tasks such as hunting and games, to saving civilians and doing other side objectives. not only that, but the multiplayer is outstanding, with fantastic DLC and an awesome open world setting. I can go on for hours about why this game is awesome, but do I really need to? You absolutely must go out and buy this game! Expand
  27. Feb 28, 2011
    As far as games go, it doesn't get much better than this one. The graphics are, at times, strikingly beautiful. The game is also unbelievably well written and acted, there were a couple times during this game which almost made me tear up. Gripping, intelligent, and fierce. A great game all around. Oh, yeah, and it's fun as **** to play.
  28. Feb 11, 2011
    This is a spectacular game, and did not disappoint at all. I had trouble putting the controller down every time i played. It is an easy 10 out of 10.
  29. Feb 22, 2011
    A very immersive experience. The world feels so alive and authentic.This along with the time period and a strong cast of characters allow for an engaging story. The gameplay is a lot of fun and typical of a rockstar game.
  30. Apr 24, 2011
    I am speechless. This game is jaw dropping and a strong entry from Rockstar. Play it on HD if you can, you will love the sceneries and those simple moments just galloping through the fields. Subtle things take little to almost nothing away from the experience. A solid soundtrack and a cleverly written story that climaxes to a fulfilling ending that blends the love of a man for his familyI am speechless. This game is jaw dropping and a strong entry from Rockstar. Play it on HD if you can, you will love the sceneries and those simple moments just galloping through the fields. Subtle things take little to almost nothing away from the experience. A solid soundtrack and a cleverly written story that climaxes to a fulfilling ending that blends the love of a man for his family and the overpowering hand of the system that breaks the soul of man. I can't say anything anymore, it is unjust. Go out and get it and play the whole story, do the side quests, they're fun; and you'll have an experience like no other. I give this game a solid 10, for its direction and cinematography, strong dialogue, and rich thrilling western experience. HD must. Expand

1. The game perfectly captures the expansiveness of frontier life and the gritty gunplay of spaghetti westerns, rightfully earning its place alongside the great Western films and the best Rockstar games. [Issue#206, p.86]
  2. Rockstar's skill in creating a believable, functioning world with a distinct, coherent and consistent atmosphere is peerless. The broad-brush vision is masterful.
  3. Red Dead Redemption is a masterpiece. This game is the perfect example of how a developer should work to create the best atmosphere and to represent a beautiful historical situation. The graphics, the gameplay elements and everything else is at top level. Buy Red Dead Redemption, now!