Red Faction: Armageddon PlayStation 3

7.3

1. Jul 14, 2011
    ive played all the red faction games and they all at the very least have been a fairly decent game . RFA is pretty much the same. its much heavier on the action then the last RF game which is nice but its also alot shorter and i feel like there is less opertunity to exploite the fun of just causing total destruction like in other RF games. you will spend alot of your time killing theeseive played all the red faction games and they all at the very least have been a fairly decent game . RFA is pretty much the same. its much heavier on the action then the last RF game which is nice but its also alot shorter and i feel like there is less opertunity to exploite the fun of just causing total destruction like in other RF games. you will spend alot of your time killing theese bugs with a very nice varity of guns and there are some real cool ones as well. the story has you chasing a man named Hale who is up to no good . i wont say to much but there are some tie ins with the original RF game with the story. the game is about 8-9 hours long the level varity is all pretty much the same but there are some change up driving a few different vehicles which are fun. the online mode didnt thrill me much there isnt much new there and the 4 player co - op bug hunt mode is kinda fun for alittle while but so many games are adding it theese days that its nothing that will keep you to entertained for long .you can also upgrade your charicter with powers , improve your preformance , and raise your health with your scrape wich is kinda cool. RFA as is is surely worth a rental but personally i wouldnt want to run out and pay $60 for it which makes me glad i rented it . its a game that will give you a few days of fun maybe more if you really get into the online part. Expand
  2. Aug 13, 2011
    Metacritic REALLY need to fix their ratings, this game is a great example of how broken their system is... 10 people gave positive ratings and 3 gave negative. The 6 people who actually BOTHERED to WRITE anything gave it, 9, 10, 7, 8, 9 and 10, from those 6 it's an average of 8.8, but this game sits on a 6.6 , that's just crap! For all we know 3 idiots could have just came along and scoredMetacritic REALLY need to fix their ratings, this game is a great example of how broken their system is... 10 people gave positive ratings and 3 gave negative. The 6 people who actually BOTHERED to WRITE anything gave it, 9, 10, 7, 8, 9 and 10, from those 6 it's an average of 8.8, but this game sits on a 6.6 , that's just crap! For all we know 3 idiots could have just came along and scored it a 1, so this game gets made out to look like crap at 1st glance. Very unfair. I think maybe people who actually bother to write something and give some reasons for their score should be given more weight to their scores. It's WAY too easy for some jerk to come along and just anonymously click a 1 for no or little reason. This game is worth playing for the physics alone, extremely well executed. All the way through the game I was a impressed how they pulled it off. If you actually pay attention to that kind of stuff I don't think it's possible to not like this game. Some very solid piloting levels too where you control various battle suits, just to mix it up and excellent boss fights too.. Some of the weapons seem superfluous, I finished 90% of the game with just the hammer and magnet gun, but I actually count that as a positive as those weapons were so much fun! I think the story of guerrilla was more fun because I really like the saboteur theme and there aren't as many outdoor environments in this game, but overall I enjoyed this one just as much. Expand
  3. Apr 16, 2012
    Red Faction: Armageddon is a nice, well paced, third-person shooter with a ton of fun and some minor flaws. The story is kind of flat and not gripping especially compared to other sci-fy power sellers like ME or Dead Space, but it's also appropriate as a backdrop for pure and intense physics-driven fun. I liked the few but well placed jokes, the atmosphere and the gameplay. If you likedRed Faction: Armageddon is a nice, well paced, third-person shooter with a ton of fun and some minor flaws. The story is kind of flat and not gripping especially compared to other sci-fy power sellers like ME or Dead Space, but it's also appropriate as a backdrop for pure and intense physics-driven fun. I liked the few but well placed jokes, the atmosphere and the gameplay. If you liked Dead Space 2 for it's uncompromising take on action and because it wasn't as scary as the first one, i promise you'll enjoy this 10 hour fun-ride through mars' underground with all its turret/ vehicle sections and third-person mayhem.

On the other side you face above-average-level-design in eerie environments bound to mars' caverns and overworld. You like caves go with RFA, you like abandoned Spaceships, Dead Space will please you more. Joking apart, nobody should set DS aside for RFA, but it's a nice, fun trip if you're into those kinds of games.

In my opinion a definite sleeper-hit, one of the most underrated games, i' ve played to date.
  4. Sep 29, 2013
    Red Faction: Armageddon is not a bad game. However, after the awesome story and open-ended mission structure of 2009's awesome Red Faction: Guerrilla! This game has been severely dumbed down compared to that game. The story is awful and the gameplay while fun is extremely linear! Still if you're looking for a game with some cool destruction to kill some time with and you can find this oneRed Faction: Armageddon is not a bad game. However, after the awesome story and open-ended mission structure of 2009's awesome Red Faction: Guerrilla! This game has been severely dumbed down compared to that game. The story is awful and the gameplay while fun is extremely linear! Still if you're looking for a game with some cool destruction to kill some time with and you can find this one for under $10 then by all means go for it haha! Expand
  5. Dec 5, 2014
    Red Faction : Armageddon is a very good TPS with a very fun arsenal, some good scenes, a solo mode that will keep you focus for 12-15 hours, good graphics with great light effects, a few skills to learn that emphasize your style of play, the destructibility (and the possibility to reconstruct ) is cool.
    In fact the main default it's the title, it's not a real Red Faction (it lakes the soul of the previous installments) but for marketing reasons officialy it is a Red Faction and therefore you may not having what you expected. But if you're looking for a good TPS , then go for it , Armageddon has almost everything you might want.
  6. Jun 23, 2011
    One word: Brilliant! I came in to this game not expecting much. Hell I thought to myselfâ
  7. Sep 25, 2011
    I have been a big fan of Red Faction right from the get go I love the new games on the current gen of consoles and would very much like the game to return to its mining roots in which the whole environment can destroyed a massive open world in which you can dig vast tunnels hidey holes in the mountains not just destroy building and a few bits of the environment. maybe the next game will goI have been a big fan of Red Faction right from the get go I love the new games on the current gen of consoles and would very much like the game to return to its mining roots in which the whole environment can destroyed a massive open world in which you can dig vast tunnels hidey holes in the mountains not just destroy building and a few bits of the environment. maybe the next game will go back to the open world exploration but bring in some flyings vehicles and some mining vehicles do something amazing with that setting and the rich history of the franchise also no more Masons maybe have the main character work under a Mason. Expand
  8. Jun 26, 2012
    Reasonably enjoyable, but very different from RFG's open sand box. There's not really enough variety -- in enemies, locations, AI tactics -- to keep this interesting. Only the weapons were as rich and well-thought-out as I had hoped. The voice acting was very good, but the story underwhelming. I got this used, and the online multiplayer is close to dead in mid-2012, less than one yearReasonably enjoyable, but very different from RFG's open sand box. There's not really enough variety -- in enemies, locations, AI tactics -- to keep this interesting. Only the weapons were as rich and well-thought-out as I had hoped. The voice acting was very good, but the story underwhelming. I got this used, and the online multiplayer is close to dead in mid-2012, less than one year after release. I do like the co-op defense mode, but there should be more modes. Expand
  9. Oct 13, 2012
    Let me just say this. Red Faction Armageddon (RFA) is a great game with unfair reviews. I love 3rd person shooters and RFA is a damn great one! Yes the story doesn't shine (i can't even remember what it was!) but you can blow stuff up to kingdom come and that is whole lot of fun. The weapons feel great and the foes are challenging. The Multiplayer lacks depth whithout competitive mode.
  10. Jun 12, 2011
    Red Faction: Armageddon is a very unique game it will offer around 15 hours of game play. The also offers a very detailed storyline and big replay value once the game has been beat. As for the multiplayer side of the game Infestation mode is fun when you have friends with you playing. If you're into a horde like attack and or defend game mode then enjoy. As for Ruin mode, which is onlineRed Faction: Armageddon is a very unique game it will offer around 15 hours of game play. The also offers a very detailed storyline and big replay value once the game has been beat. As for the multiplayer side of the game Infestation mode is fun when you have friends with you playing. If you're into a horde like attack and or defend game mode then enjoy. As for Ruin mode, which is online but as a single player mode. I feel like it should have had more than just the maps given and it grew boring once the top scores where beat. Hopefully in the future more is brought to the game as DLC. Expand
  11. Jun 11, 2011
    Worth every penny, as a long running fan of the Red Faction franchise I know for a fact the games are never "perfect", and are never going to be everyones cup of tea - but what it does it does wonderfully. Nuff said.
  12. Sep 22, 2011
    This game is so repetitive...its just run..fire..run..fire...reload...run...fire..
    the enemy AI is weak and just annoying. While it does sport some brilliant arsenal, you get pretty tired of shooting the same weak enemies. I really hoped for me but its a total let-down. better rented than owned.
  13. dpc
    May 30, 2013
    Way better than many of the critics and users are saying. The visuals are outstanding, the weapons fun and the action is intense. The linear part disappointed me at first I missed wandering around Mars doing what I wanted, but the gameplay is so good, I quickly got over it. Despite what you read, this IS a Red Faction game. The game makers tried something a little different and it worked.
  14. Sep 12, 2011
    A game that I did not expect much from the blew me away. From the first time I played the demo till finally finishing it this was an amazing experience. If you enjoy destroying this already a plus, good story in cinema style rush, in end I was wanting for more, DLC unfortunately did not deliver that need. This is a gem of a game for a good fun play through.
  15. Dec 19, 2014
    This was my second game on the ps3 and i really liked it! I have been a fan of the red faction franchise from the beginning and this game is a great addition to it!
  16. Aug 12, 2014
    Initial review without finishing game: I didn't like this game at all. I only gave it a 5 rating because up until the point I stopped playing it I did not uncover a bug in the software. That for me pushed it above a negative rating and that alone. This is a boring game and bad software. First off I found the game boring. The single player campaign to me is nothing more than a piecedInitial review without finishing game: I didn't like this game at all. I only gave it a 5 rating because up until the point I stopped playing it I did not uncover a bug in the software. That for me pushed it above a negative rating and that alone. This is a boring game and bad software. First off I found the game boring. The single player campaign to me is nothing more than a pieced together tutorial of weapons so you are enabled to play online without learning everything there. The story is quite unspectacular as is the whole experience. The enemies were not that great the only thing that made them difficult was the amount that spawned and the chance of running out of ammo. For the tough areas, which were few and exact opposite of most of the game the save system really sucked. I wanted to presave an area so I didn't have to run around and collect stuff then try the area again, but no, the save goes too far back not where you saved it. On top of this idiocy, was the idiocy of repairing your destruction. This is just not fun. Destroy an area and rebuild it have it blown away, rebuild it have it blown away rebuild it ok now carry on. What a grand waste of time. Such a gimmick that people would find this interesting. This game tries to copy portions of other well known games but doesn't seem to do any very well. It seems so formulated like no ones heart was into making this. I definately think if you have played a sufficient amount of shooters this is one for sure you can skip. Its not terrible but its fairly close. What can I say nice about the game? Well, I like science fiction and some of the enemies were cool to look at. Sorry thats all I can come up with

Review after finishing game: Ok, I bumped up the score to 6 because of new game plus features and some unlockables. After finishing this game I'm intrigued what went on with this game development. If you youtube Red Faction you can find an interview stating the development team is most proud of making non linear games and this one is totally linear. After playing the game it seems so uninspired, so linear, so mundane. Its basically "Babies first shooter". It makes me wonder if the team was forced to make this game after a buyout or something. The game seems like it was made for the developers own amusement and not as a commercial product to be sold. Anyway, new game plus interested me I was going to do through again at a harder level then got the after game bonus stuff and just decided it is just too much work making this game a challenge. You really have to try. This is a great Sci Fi shooter for casual gamers just getting into shooters. For experienced shooters I stand pat on my original review. What I should add is there is a fantastic inventory of weapons in this game but still the overall experience for me was that I had to put in too much effort to try to make this game fun and challenging. It just was not in the cards for me.
  17. Jul 17, 2011
    This game is somewhere in-between singularity and dead space, so if you like that sort of thing then this is for you. It's not open world like guerrilla but very, very linear. Loads of great weapons and enemy's and a decent story too. Quite a good upgrade system for weapons and powers which crosses over into multiplayer, and boy is multiplayer FUN! I will spend many hours online fightingThis game is somewhere in-between singularity and dead space, so if you like that sort of thing then this is for you. It's not open world like guerrilla but very, very linear. Loads of great weapons and enemy's and a decent story too. Quite a good upgrade system for weapons and powers which crosses over into multiplayer, and boy is multiplayer FUN! I will spend many hours online fighting off waves of aliens with like minded shooter fans. If you're looking at these reviews because you're thinking of buying this game. . . . get it, you will not be disappointed. Expand

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 19, 2011
    The newest addition to the Red Faction saga is a fast-paced summer shooter. It doesn't really require any brain activity and the bright colours, huge packs of alien enemies and destructible environments ensure, that this game is a perfect tool for venting pressure. [June 2011]
  2. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Oct 6, 2011
    Armageddon is by no means a bad game, it's just a completely different one to what series fans will expect, or possibly want. Unfortunately, in returning to its underground roots, Volition has forgotten to capitalise on what their series does best: geo-modding the crap out of everything in sight - minimum restrictions. [August 2011 p80]
  3. Oct 3, 2011
    Red Faction: Armageddon has weak points and highligts. The story isn't that great, the dungeon-crawling experience isn't that cool and in fights chaos reigns. On the other hand, it's damn fun to kick some alien ass and destroy everything you want.