7.3

1. Jun 6, 2013
    Ima sci-fi fan. I'm perfectly fine with my purchase, even if the game isn't the greatest. It's a linear platformer, with some interesting sci-fi concepts. The story is convoluted and apparently dystopian France is filled with cliche American NPCs. Capcom's influence is heavy handed and really makes you wonder just how much of Dontnod's original vision survived. But whatever, the game is lucky to exist at all. The combat is fun at times but it's also a chore. I do like this game, I'm just trying to be honest. Expand
  2. Jun 16, 2013
    Remember Me is by no means a bad game, just a bit dull. Dontnod should be commended however for fighting for their female protagonist. Unfortunately, said protagonist is incredibly bland and have very little character as well as a generic back story. Which is interesting because that's basically what the whole game is like. Very bland and generic with very few interesting ideas in it's head.

The context as a whole is the weakest part of the game in fact. The characters are all barely there, I rarely new what the hell was going on in the story, and it's so unclear who the antagonist is meant to be. It's just a long line of cartoonish bad guys one after the other until the final boss who is unexpected however part of a pretty dumb plot twist which then leads to a ending.

It would be unfair to blame the poor characterization entirely on the writing, so let's blame the voice acting as well. I think it's official; English people can't voice act! They clearly wanted and English voice for the character, but they honestly would be better having an American doing a bad accent.

I say that they clearly wanted a British voice because the story as a whole seems very Dr Who inspired. There is even a direct reference in one of the achievement/trophy titles. "Are You My Mummy" it says. Any Dr Who fan will get that reference, and all Ex-Dr Who fans like myself will wish they didn't.

Now let's look at the gameplay. The game seems to think that by having one small idea (that given the usage of it can barely class as an innovation) it can get away with just recycling the gameplay of other, much better games. All we have is just Batman Arkham Asylum combat (with more of a combo orientation rather than freeflow which doesn't work) and platforming copy pasted from Uncharted, all shoe horned into an incredibly linear game with the occasional puzzle here and there. Sorry, but it's boring. There's also the stupid "remixing" thing, where you change someones memory of an event, but all it is, is wizzing and rewinding the same bloody cutscene changing something here and there. It's incredibly tedious and barely worth talking about.

I mentioned a small interesting idea earlier. It's the only interesting part of the game. The game calls it combo building, but not really. All you can do is change the effect of each hit, and only between three effects. Damage, healing and cooling down special moves. The more hits in the combo, the more effective the effects. It becomes the primary challenge of the game, maxing out the efficiency of your combos, which works pretty well and using your cool downs appropriately. It works pretty well, but the game just doesn't make the most of it. It seems like it would work better in an Action RPG rather than a boring linear game like this.

Bottom line; The game fills the void. A bit of fun between chunkier, more interesting releases. The game only just about exceeds challenge wise. The bad level design, clunky combat and incredibly linear platforming make rather boring gratification wise, and the context is overall due to bland character, generic story, and bad world building as well as a really ending. The only reason I give this a 4, is because of the tiny innovation giving it some challenge, otherwise it would be a 3. This is a boring game.
  3. Nov 17, 2013
    This game is It is incredibly liner and the game play is exactly like enslaved. Today i bought it for £20 and tomorrow im getting rid of it. Worst game i have ever played!
  4. Feb 19, 2014
    It's a good thing this game is free for ps+ member or else I would've wasted both my money and my time. Combat is uninspired, clunky and fails to to do anything that hasn't been seen before. The graphics and environment are gorgeous which only serves to solidify the massive **** YOU that entails when you realize you can't interact with any bit of it. Instead you forced to follow ONE PATH and one path only.
    The Memory Remix minigame only serves to frustrate my poor little brain and break my thumbs because I'm constantly fast forwarding and rewinding the same goddamn cutscene over and over only to find no trace of whatever the **** I am supposed to be looking for.

In short: **** THIS PIECE OF PRETENTIOUS HALF ASSED LINEAR ****
  5. Nov 5, 2013
    Boring, bland button masher which feels completely on rails, I only started playing it because it was free on Playstation+ and even then I felt cheated. You cannot interact with anything and can only jump to the next highlighted edge, after every few jumps you have a cornered off area where you fight the same tired enemy goons one after the other, repeat this however long the game lasts. I didn't make it to the end I had some paint I watched dry instead which was infinitely more interesting than playing this. Expand
  6. Mar 24, 2014
    The game has a very interesting plot about the future technology of downloading others' memories into our brains. The memories themselves have become the next drug of choice and is controlled by an evil corporation. You'll play the agent to take them down. It has good graphics with its cutscenes, but poor voice acting. But, graphics are only icing on the cake of a good game. You can put icing on a stale piece of bread, and it's still not cake you're eating. This game is not good because of the actual gameplay. The combat is a button mashing combat of the Japanese genre. Your running and jumping is very unnatural as you look like a speedy cartoon instead of having more realistic animated movements. It's has very linear simple path that you have to follow in a Neo-Paris, that mimics games of the sidescrollers of thePS2 era rather than the more open worlds of the PS3 era. So with the poor voice acting, boring linear progression, and weak combat, this game is one of the worst games that I have played in a while. Congratualations Capcom. Expand
  7. Feb 20, 2014
    Two word review: Depressingly Linear. More than two word review: The game is quite pretty. There's lots of eye candy, especially in the environmental design. Nearly all of the game's levels look unique and polished to perfection. But a good looking game is not necessarily fun to play, and that's where the game falls short. To start, the cutscenes are unskippable. I really shouldn't have to go into detail as to why this is a big deal. It's been stated and re-stated by players everywhere. Modern developers should not be making mistakes like this.

Second, the combat is entirely unsatisfying. I once read a review by Yahtzee Croshaw that talked about Fruit Ninja and what made it so fun. He said:

"There's the streak of the blade, a splatter animation, a juicy sound effect, a lingering juice decal on the backboard, the two spent halves dropping out of sight ... they all fire off together in such a brief moment you don't even acknowledge them, but you'd notice if any of them were to go away. Oh yes. They're what make it fun."

A lot of those effects are missing from the combat in Remember Me. When you press the punch button, LinLin, or whatever her name is, lunges forward awkwardly. That's it. The enemy who was attacked barely moves. The sound of the impact is drowned out by the ambient noise. You may as well have spit on him. Compare this to Arkham City, where the every broken bone and blackened eye is sounded off beautifully, and punches can stagger enemies or send them flying. A lot of the fun of the combat comes from the feeling that you're accomplishing something with every button press. Remember Me's combat fails to do this.

But then there's the combo customization, one of the game's gimmicks. The concept sounds cool, right? Mix and match punches and kicks in any way you want? Too bad that's not what the game actually features. Actual player input as far as what move is used and when is minimal. Opening moves are unchangeable. Button triggers are unchangeable. Combo length and animations used are unchangeable. What you can change is whether you'll heal or reduce ability cooldowns when a punch hits. Assuming you've progressed far enough down the line that the developers let you "unlock" it, of course. Basically, the gimmick is at best, a misleading truth, and at worst, a blatant lie. No customization to be found here, move along.

Finally, and worst of all, the game has some of the most depressingly linear gameplay I've ever seen. Remember A Link to the Past? How at the very beginning of the game you couldn't go some places because you weren't armed and hadn't found your uncle yet? But then after the basement dungeon, you could pretty much go anywhere, with more and more of the already huge world (and later, worlds) opening up to you? Remember Me is basically one long intro level. The whole game is littered with unclimbable walls, unopenable doors, and people who you can't talk to. It's basically a walking forward simulator, with some climbey bits thrown in as a thin disguise. I even got to one point in the game where I could clearly see an arrangement of bricks that could be climbed on to reach my goal, but because they weren't the one arrangement of bricks the developers chose to be part of the single path, I couldn't do anything with them.

The game's story is decent, and the music is decent as well, but really, this game has two outstanding qualities: that it looks great and that it plays like rubbish. Its high scores are a testament to the shallowness of the gaming community.
  8. Nov 20, 2013
    No maps, not guiding system, not that you need one for every game but this game was frustrating to navigate. Story had promise but in the end was quite bland and character was very stereotypical tough female, nothing likeable about her. The visuals are ok but nothing great and the combat is horrible. Its not an awful game, but painfully average and underdeveloped.
  9. Apr 5, 2014
    Remember Me brings in a a lot of new and innovative ideas, but unfortunately those new concepts and ideas take up about 5% of the actual gameplay. The majority of your time spend playing this game will be spent in one of two modes. Either you will be leaping from ledge to ledge for 45 minutes like Prince of Persia without any action scenes, or you will be in the action scenes, in which case you will be spending 45 minutes fighting using what essentially feels like the Batman combat system, only before it was ever beta tested and ironed out.

The shining, unique, and engaging parts of this game are so few and far between that it becomes a chore to muscle through all of the other experiences of the game, most of which you have seen a better version done elsewhere.

It's all really another rather unimpressive installment in the Square Enix name.
  10. Jun 16, 2013

1. Nov 15, 2013
    For a first time developer, Remember Me appears highly ambitious. And while it’s got some neat ideas it never quite does anything substantial with them, instead providing an enjoyable, if forgettable experience.
  2. Moments like convincing a police officer to commit suicide because you made him think he murdered his girlfriend prove that Remember Me belongs in the top league of video games. Too bad that Dontnod does not fully capitalize on these moments by limiting your options when remixing memories. [July 2013, p.86]
  3. Jul 21, 2013
    A mess of interesting ideas inexpertly implemented, resulting in a horribly generic action game that fails to live up to its promise. [Aug 2013, p.68]