7.3

10 because of the lights and darkness and rain
    10 because of graffiti everywhere
    10 because of the innovations in gameplay
    10 because we have to support indy games
    Interactive movie from a great director!
    You need to exprerience it
  2. Jun 10, 2013
    The platforming starts out with a generic ledge shuffle, but progressively includes more and more tools your spammer can break weak obstacles, tractor objects around to change the puzzle, and yank the energy out of one mechanism so you can dump it into another mechanism in order to advance the puzzle (kind of like carrying around a companion cube, if it was a blaze of glowing lightThe platforming starts out with a generic ledge shuffle, but progressively includes more and more tools your spammer can break weak obstacles, tractor objects around to change the puzzle, and yank the energy out of one mechanism so you can dump it into another mechanism in order to advance the puzzle (kind of like carrying around a companion cube, if it was a blaze of glowing light wrapping your arm that could be fired from a distance). Using stolen memories is incorporated with all of these tools, so the gameplay you get in the second half of the game is far more developed than what you see in the pre-release trailers, which focus on the early levels.

I’ve heard people complaining about how the game shows you what ledge to jump to, and I have to say so does every other game. Usually ledges are lit, colored or textured differently, or they just stand the hell out. Remember Me just uses a different mechanism. The game also tricks the player a few times; when I stop and really look around, I'll see another jump marker that was just off screen that I would have missed had I been simply following prompted jumps, and that other marker leads me to a powerup reward. And some markers fail under you, leaving Nilin to take a tumble a mechanism that isn't used frequently enough for you to come to expect it, which is good.

Loved the combat, gaining moves as rewards for accumulating XP. Once you get a serious arsenal Nilin' will be stringing spectacular movements together into a buttkicking ballet that you can reinvent whenever you want by changing animation and effect (again, this a completely different animal in the second half of the game because you have so many more moves and abilities). Upon replay you can keep all of the moves you purchased in your previous run-through. More advanced enemies keep the difficulty interesting; I particularly like the guards whose electrified armor hurts you when you hit them, and the invisible buggers you have to reveal before you can take them on. You will use every tool you are given.

And of course Nilin and Neo Paris look great, from the classic architecture to the sci fi archologies to the plates of rats the street vendors sell in the slums (I am playing on a powerful PC, so take that into consideration). The beauty is mostly to look at, not interact with, so if the inability to kick cardboard boxes around and stand on tables is a dealbreaker for you, then get used to disappointment.

I was expecting a far worse game based on the reviews I've read, usually in the vein of "It falls short" (falls short of what? Of perfection? Of failure? Falls short of fun? Is it fun? It is fun, by the way). Upon playthrough I found that many statements in those reviews are factually incorrect. I don't mean a difference of opinion, but statements like "the game doesn't do this" when it actually does, as if they wrote the review after playing only an hour of it, or they based their opinion on the pre-release videos. What you see in the early game is just a platform on which the late-game is built. It's a little embarrassing actually, as if all these guys solemnly said "Halo is set on the Pillar of Autumn, and we feel this makes the game fall short".

Dontnod is small and new and they've made a game bigger than themselves. It’s beautiful, it’s fun, and it does powerful things with its ideas. I say get it.
  3. Jun 4, 2013
    A great start to what hopefully becomes a more fleshed-out series. Although the game's most interesting and fun parts, the memory remixes, only appear a meager 4 times in the game, it's still a fun ride. The customized combat system keeps fighting from becoming stale, and the environment and music create a fantastic atmosphere.

Although it might not be worth the full asking price, not

Although it might not be worth the full asking price, not many games are. Still, Remember Me is a fantastic game that should be enjoyed, short as it may be.
  4. Jul 8, 2013
    Very cool, very sexy game. Lovely hero and setting. The Neo Paris of 2084 is gorgeous (it's a shame we don't get to explore it though). Remember Me is a very (VERY) linear game with a fake idea of liberty. You never choose your path, it's always predetermined (with an occasional turn here and there just to pick up collectibles). The graphics are beautiful (though not the best thisVery cool, very sexy game. Lovely hero and setting. The Neo Paris of 2084 is gorgeous (it's a shame we don't get to explore it though). Remember Me is a very (VERY) linear game with a fake idea of liberty. You never choose your path, it's always predetermined (with an occasional turn here and there just to pick up collectibles). The graphics are beautiful (though not the best this generation has seen) and the soundtrack is very atmospheric. The memory mix mini-game is very original too. It has a Blade Runner feel to me with the slums built around skyscrapers and stores with information shown on digital ads. Actually, this is a very nice game. My only complaint about it is about fighting. It's a CHORE... they should have double checked the fighting in this game before releasing it... it really doesn't fit. Especially when you face enemies that hurt you if you touch them. Expand
  5. Jun 8, 2013
    Remember Me offers a fresh experience to existing future games. The introduction and story telling are masterly crafted in my opinion though the game play itself lacks of completion and contains a few flaws. All in all the only thing i was disappointed of is that there is so much information in this world of stores places etc. but the player is not able to interact with it. For the rest IRemember Me offers a fresh experience to existing future games. The introduction and story telling are masterly crafted in my opinion though the game play itself lacks of completion and contains a few flaws. All in all the only thing i was disappointed of is that there is so much information in this world of stores places etc. but the player is not able to interact with it. For the rest I can say that this game is well worth a play through especially for the narrative brilliance. Expand
  6. Jun 4, 2013
    I will admit I was excited for this game. I felt it would have been a create mix between Assassin's Creed (for the climbing and going after high valued targets seemed to be indicative of this), Batman Arkham Asylum/City (the fighting style seemed to resemble this), and Deus Ex: Human Revolution (for the futuristic aspect and the environment interaction with the HUD).Before I begin into theI will admit I was excited for this game. I felt it would have been a create mix between Assassin's Creed (for the climbing and going after high valued targets seemed to be indicative of this), Batman Arkham Asylum/City (the fighting style seemed to resemble this), and Deus Ex: Human Revolution (for the futuristic aspect and the environment interaction with the HUD).Before I begin into the negatives of this game, let me point to some of the more positive of the game.

-The voice acting is wonderful. Whenever the first cut scene played, it truly bought into the story of the three people who told the viewer of how wonderful the memory technology was and the elderly woman's story and voice acting made me feel as if that was a real person.
    -The story created a desire for me to go forward and find out what was around the corner. Although the names Capcom gives some of their characters breaks the illusion of this game being a game about survival, sabotage, kickin' in faces, and being public enemy number one.
    -Being able to create your own combos was such an interesting ideal that it warrants being a positive; however, the execution was a bit underwhelming.
    -Remixing memories was such an enjoyable trail-and-error aspect.

Now that I have got that out of the way. Here are some of the things I felt (and you may feel) made the game lesser than what it could have been.

-It leads you by the hand... Forcibly. I played on the hardest difficulty (Memory Hunter) and was still bombarded with an icon that tells me where to go when I am climbing with no discernible way to turn this off. It is as if it did not even trust you find your way, to make your own mistakes when climbing to a location, or Capcom felt that did not do a good enough job on some of the camera angles that they felt that it would be necessary to put an icon at every ledge you should go to.
    -Do you like the thrill of exploring (even in linear games) and finding upgrades for yourself? It is as if the game thinks you have around two brains cells and gives you an image of where an upgrade (for health and focus) is NEARBY. I can understand that they wanted to stick with the whole memory idea and this was another way of introducing their idea, but if you are anything like me, I prefer to make my own mistakes and explore to find collectibles without assistance even if I look in some of the most inane spots to achieve this, you will not enjoy this feature.An apt comparison is Metro Last Light. It took me 12 hours to beat a 7 to 8 hour game because the game created a desire for me to go an explore. I saw buildings in the distance or rooms away from where my OPTIONAL objective locator told me was the right way to go and thought to myself "Is ammo in there? What about another weapon? Journal entry?"
    -I would have loved for an OPTIONAL breadcumb device like in Dead Space to show me where I should be going beyond climbing up. In Dead Space and Metro games bringing up that device caused me to want to explore. I would see "Hey, I need to go here. There is a strong chance that I might not be able to return to this area, so let me explore the other doors." However, in Remember Me, the game although forcibly shows you where to go when climbing, it does not allow to check where your current objective is. There has been multiple times where I have forgone exploring another doorway because I thought it may be where I should go. Turns out it was not and whenever I went through the other doorway, I could not return to the previous location.

The game was alright, but not worth the $50. I would really wait until the game is on sale.
  7. Jun 4, 2013
    Remember Me is destined to be overlooked, which is sad. One thing is for sure: It is a true underrated gem.

I'm about mid-way in the game, and it is a fantastic and hypnotic game, captivating me with it's beautiful and heavily detailed world. The setting is the first thing you'll notice; vivid, unconventional colors blot this world, and it is a feast for the eyes. Combat works and

Combat works and plays out like Batman, but not quite as fluid. The ability to change up your combos makes for a refreshing experience each time. Enemies are can be quite tough in numbers--especially when they differ in types, forcing you to use different tactics for various enemies. Button mashing won't get you very far.

The platforming and exploration are the weakest links, as they are far too scripted. You never get a sense that you're in immediate danger from scaling walls. And exploration is so linear, so confined, which is a shame considering Neo-Paris is a major sight to behold.

Memory Remixes are the star of Remember Me, setting it apart from other action/adventure games. Basically, you can hack into peoples memories and alter things, changing the outcome of their behavior. It's fun to mess around and experiment. Not to mention, the memory remixes give great insight into Nilin's character; you really get a sense that she is conflicted with the ethics of what she is doing, which, in my opinion, makes her a very human character to which we can relate.

The story... I won't elaborate about it. You really need to experience it for yourself because it will blow you away. Some of the writing is awful, though. But most of it works.

Overall, fantastic game. The story and lore are the strongest aspects. The game play is, for the most part, solid. Remember Me gets an 8/10 for me.
  8. Jun 6, 2013
    Ima sci-fi fan. I'm perfectly fine with my purchase, even if the game isn't the greatest. It's a linear platformer, with some interesting sci-fi concepts. The story is convoluted and apparently dystopian France is filled with cliche American NPCs. Capcom's influence is heavy handed and really makes you wonder just how much of Dontnod's original vision survived. But whatever, the game isIma sci-fi fan. I'm perfectly fine with my purchase, even if the game isn't the greatest. It's a linear platformer, with some interesting sci-fi concepts. The story is convoluted and apparently dystopian France is filled with cliche American NPCs. Capcom's influence is heavy handed and really makes you wonder just how much of Dontnod's original vision survived. But whatever, the game is lucky to exist at all. The combat is fun at times but it's also a chore. I do like this game, I'm just trying to be honest. Expand
  9. Jun 5, 2013
  10. Jun 9, 2013
    This game is very underrated, in my opinion. The combo system is really unique in that you build your own combos with 4 different types of attacks that are all very useful depending on the situation. The memory remixes are really cool and I wish there were even more of them. The story was pretty cool and has a nice message at the end.
  11. Jun 5, 2013
    An underrated game, DontNod Entertainment has created a beautifully crafted sci fi adventure. The detail to this world is mezmorizing. While the combat can get repetitive, I enjoyed the unique craft your own combo system and special powers. Its an astonishing accomplishment that such a game can arise from a first time developer with no previous triple A games under their belt.An underrated game, DontNod Entertainment has created a beautifully crafted sci fi adventure. The detail to this world is mezmorizing. While the combat can get repetitive, I enjoyed the unique craft your own combo system and special powers. Its an astonishing accomplishment that such a game can arise from a first time developer with no previous triple A games under their belt. Everything about the game is solid...not amazing, but gets the job done so it doesnt infere with unraveling the story which is the focus of the game. Remember Me works very well as a cinematic gameplay experience. The platforming, puzzles, and combat fit nicely into the game. The main attractions of this game no doubt though are the amazing environments crafted within this sci fi world. Remember me is a game that gets better and better as it progresses, with the combat becoming more fun as you unlock new powers. While the story didn't blow me away, going through it certainly was fun. I would recommend this game to anyone who enjoys a linear cinematic story-driven gameplay experience! Expand
  12. Jun 4, 2013
    After playing Cyberpunk 2077 I have to say this game was a big unoriginal. The technology which is used within the game resembles Mass Effect, the gameplay itself resembles any basic action/adventure, and the originality of the story is obviously a stolen idea from other sources. Needless to say, the game was still entertaining. The graphics are very nice, the music is on par with internetAfter playing Cyberpunk 2077 I have to say this game was a big unoriginal. The technology which is used within the game resembles Mass Effect, the gameplay itself resembles any basic action/adventure, and the originality of the story is obviously a stolen idea from other sources. Needless to say, the game was still entertaining. The graphics are very nice, the music is on par with internet radio, the character design is fantastic as are the voice actors chosen for the characters. Whilst the game does not have the most extensive gameplay or the longest storyline, it is still worth playing.

One a side note, as a memory you get to dive in to peoples minds. These sequences can be tedious and at times very boring. Yet, you can go forward and backward in peoples memories over and over to the point of just looking at the victims naughty parts.

This game is good, not great, and could have have much more features. This game might be exactly what you are looking for. A game with a hot cyberpunk chick who kicks ass and takes memories.
  13. Jun 10, 2013
    Remember Me from Dontnod Entertainment is the french developers first game, and I can say with certainty that Dontnod will become a leader in innovating games.

Non spoiler story: Remember Me is a fantastic game set in the Cyberpunk theme of Neo-Paris, a city built after a European Union Civil War in 2066. Humanity has become addicted to a new form of technology that allows the

Non spoiler story:

Remember Me is a fantastic game set in the Cyberpunk theme of Neo-Paris, a city built after a European Union Civil War in 2066. Humanity has become addicted to a new form of technology that allows the sharing and downloading of memories.

You play as a woman with a form of amnesia that if I explained more would ruin the story. Suffice to say that a lot of people want you dead.

Gameplay:

Gameplay reminds me of the Tomb Raider without guns, along with great memory based puzzles. Before you think "boring" and stop reading you should know that the memories are other peoples. You have the ability to alter a persons memories in a genius puzzle that lets you tryout different outcomes to what could have happened and warping your targets perception if his or her own reality. You can only do this a few times during the story which is a shame but it makes a great change of pace from the combat.

Combat:

Speaking of combat, you can unlock moves during the game and arrange them in any order you like giving you that ability to make your own combos! Enemies are varied and will keep you on your toes as you try to figure out how to best them.

As you go on other abilities become available and give you more puzzling and can also play a role in combat, but as I try to write spoiler free reviews I'll leave that up to you to discover!

No toilet breaks!:

If you have a day sick in bed (like me) you will beat it in a day but you can't stop playing to do so.

Graphics and sound:

With the exception of one hard boss fight that has some repetition, the voice acting is well enough for the characters, with the best acting going to the main character. It is a beautiful game to look at from the grimy under city to the richer upper city and small extras in the environment really bring out the immersion.

Out of Ten:

Graphics 9

Sound 8

Gameplay 9

Collectibles 7

Over all 9.5
  14. Jun 16, 2013
    Remember Me is by no means a bad game, just a bit dull. Dontnod should be commended however for fighting for their female protagonist. Unfortunately, said protagonist is incredibly bland and have very little character as well as a generic back story. Which is interesting because that's basically what the whole game is like. Very bland and generic with very few interesting ideas in it'sRemember Me is by no means a bad game, just a bit dull. Dontnod should be commended however for fighting for their female protagonist. Unfortunately, said protagonist is incredibly bland and have very little character as well as a generic back story. Which is interesting because that's basically what the whole game is like. Very bland and generic with very few interesting ideas in it's head.

The context as a whole is the weakest part of the game in fact. The characters are all barely there, I rarely new what the hell was going on in the story, and it's so unclear who the antagonist is meant to be. It's just a long line of cartoonish bad guys one after the other until the final boss who is unexpected however part of a pretty dumb plot twist which then leads to a ending.

It would be unfair to blame the poor characterization entirely on the writing, so let's blame the voice acting as well. I think it's official; English people can't voice act! They clearly wanted and English voice for the character, but they honestly would be better having an American doing a bad accent.

I say that they clearly wanted a British voice because the story as a whole seems very Dr Who inspired. There is even a direct reference in one of the achievement/trophy titles. "Are You My Mummy" it says. Any Dr Who fan will get that reference, and all Ex-Dr Who fans like myself will wish they didn't.

Now let's look at the gameplay. The game seems to think that by having one small idea (that given the usage of it can barely class as an innovation) it can get away with just recycling the gameplay of other, much better games. All we have is just Batman Arkham Asylum combat (with more of a combo orientation rather than freeflow which doesn't work) and platforming copy pasted from Uncharted, all shoe horned into an incredibly linear game with the occasional puzzle here and there. Sorry, but it's boring. There's also the stupid "remixing" thing, where you change someones memory of an event, but all it is, is wizzing and rewinding the same bloody cutscene changing something here and there. It's incredibly tedious and barely worth talking about.

I mentioned a small interesting idea earlier. It's the only interesting part of the game. The game calls it combo building, but not really. All you can do is change the effect of each hit, and only between three effects. Damage, healing and cooling down special moves. The more hits in the combo, the more effective the effects. It becomes the primary challenge of the game, maxing out the efficiency of your combos, which works pretty well and using your cool downs appropriately. It works pretty well, but the game just doesn't make the most of it. It seems like it would work better in an Action RPG rather than a boring linear game like this.

Bottom line; The game fills the void. A bit of fun between chunkier, more interesting releases. The game only just about exceeds challenge wise. The bad level design, clunky combat and incredibly linear platforming make rather boring gratification wise, and the context is overall due to bland character, generic story, and bad world building as well as a really ending. The only reason I give this a 4, is because of the tiny innovation giving it some challenge, otherwise it would be a 3. This is a boring game.
  15. Feb 19, 2014
    It's a good thing this game is free for ps+ member or else I would've wasted both my money and my time. Combat is uninspired, clunky and fails to to do anything that hasn't been seen before. The graphics and environment are gorgeous which only serves to solidify the massive **** YOU that entails when you realize you can't interact with any bit of it. Instead you forced to follow ONE PATHIt's a good thing this game is free for ps+ member or else I would've wasted both my money and my time. Combat is uninspired, clunky and fails to to do anything that hasn't been seen before. The graphics and environment are gorgeous which only serves to solidify the massive **** YOU that entails when you realize you can't interact with any bit of it. Instead you forced to follow ONE PATH and one path only.
    The Memory Remix minigame only serves to frustrate my poor little brain and break my thumbs because I'm constantly fast forwarding and rewinding the same goddamn cutscene over and over only to find no trace of whatever the **** I am supposed to be looking for.

In short: **** THIS PIECE OF PRETENTIOUS HALF ASSED LINEAR ****
  16. Jun 17, 2013
    AMAZING! I don't care what these reviewers say, this is an awesome game! Gorgeous graphics, good action, great music, and just a lot of fun. I say buy it. If you're a fan of Ghost in The Shell, this is a must have. Pick up the game and download the soundtrack from itunes. It is worth every penny!
  17. Oct 25, 2013
    Pretty solid game. It feels like a mix between batman arkham asylum and blade runner with a dash of inFamous and dead space. The story is interesting and the combat has its own tricks. The trophy set is excellent.
  18. Jun 4, 2013
    Remember Me is an awesome game. It’s sometimes frustrating with it's difficulty, but it also transports you to an amazing world with striking designs, a deep culture, and interesting characters. The game might rely a little too heavily on “been there, done that” elements of play, but when it breaks from the norm and it does so often it hands players power and a sense of freedom inRemember Me is an awesome game. It’s sometimes frustrating with it's difficulty, but it also transports you to an amazing world with striking designs, a deep culture, and interesting characters. The game might rely a little too heavily on “been there, done that” elements of play, but when it breaks from the norm and it does so often it hands players power and a sense of freedom in experimentation. Expand
  19. Jun 29, 2013
    Coming off a stellar release season of "The Last of Us", "Tombraider", and "Bioshock" I was desperately looking for a game that might come close to the production values of those games....I am happy to tell you that, "Remember Me" is that game!! The story and the main character of Nilin is so compelling you are delighted to help her get justice against this futuristic evil corporation.Coming off a stellar release season of "The Last of Us", "Tombraider", and "Bioshock" I was desperately looking for a game that might come close to the production values of those games....I am happy to tell you that, "Remember Me" is that game!! The story and the main character of Nilin is so compelling you are delighted to help her get justice against this futuristic evil corporation. The Paris of the future will overwhelm you with its gorgeous despair. It's refreshing to get know her through memories, and the combat system becomes second nature as your progress in combat and game play....Each chapter is a delight with visual surprises and more compelling challenges,,, It is fun without frustration....Please get this one. you'll enjoy!! Expand
  20. Jun 25, 2013
    Remember Me is a unique game that controls well, has sharp visuals, great sound and a good story. The combo creation is a cool way to spice up the fighting and it works well. The levels are well designed and the platforming is done very smoothly. This game reminds me of a cross between Prince of Persia and Wet, which for me is a good thing. The game is way better than some of the criticsRemember Me is a unique game that controls well, has sharp visuals, great sound and a good story. The combo creation is a cool way to spice up the fighting and it works well. The levels are well designed and the platforming is done very smoothly. This game reminds me of a cross between Prince of Persia and Wet, which for me is a good thing. The game is way better than some of the critics rated it and even though it is relatively short it is fun. Expand
  21. Jun 7, 2013
    Anyone remember an old Playstation 1 game called Oni? It featured a female "cyberterrorist" fighting waves of enemies with specified fighting and shooting moves, in a futuristic (but very sterile) setting. I kept thinking of that old title while playing Remember Me. Granted, the gameplay is more advanced and the selection of your combo buttons adds great variety. And, the graphic detailsAnyone remember an old Playstation 1 game called Oni? It featured a female "cyberterrorist" fighting waves of enemies with specified fighting and shooting moves, in a futuristic (but very sterile) setting. I kept thinking of that old title while playing Remember Me. Granted, the gameplay is more advanced and the selection of your combo buttons adds great variety. And, the graphic details of Neo-Paris are among the most beautiful I've seen on the 'ol PS3. But I got a sense of deja vu (in a game centered around memories?...hmmm...) in the climbing and scripted elements ala Uncharted, the fighting similar to Batman and Sleeping Dogs, the boss fights, etc. The unique timeshift feature does stand out, and any game nowadays that isn't a sequel gets an extra point (sad that we have to applaud originality, like it's some rare occurence). So, a good to very good game that comes short of being great to excellent. Expand
  22. Jun 9, 2013
    I had only seen this game just a few months before release and I was extremely excited for it. I was a bit nervous I was going to be let down do to the mixed reviews, but I followed my instinct and I was right. I loved this game. it has a beautiful flow to it, which you dont see to often in games. The remixes are evenly spaced out and work well with the story snd gameplay. Combat and BossI had only seen this game just a few months before release and I was extremely excited for it. I was a bit nervous I was going to be let down do to the mixed reviews, but I followed my instinct and I was right. I loved this game. it has a beautiful flow to it, which you dont see to often in games. The remixes are evenly spaced out and work well with the story snd gameplay. Combat and Boss fights are very fun, not too tough on nornal mode. Creating your own combos with different "Pressens" (Damage, Health Regen, Special Cooldown, and One more) worked extremely well for me. BOTTOM LINE, Im extremely tough to satisfy when it comes to games, but the Story, Gameplay, Remixes, Collectables, and Graphics gave me truly an awesome expirience. Expand
  23. Jun 9, 2013
    I just finished this game and all I can say is wow. The graphics are nothing to special but they look nice and it is great to see a different style. The sound is cleverly done as well. The fighting system is nothing I hadn't seen yet accept that you could customize your own combos and what kinda power ups they gave you, which was a fantastic addition to the already very good combat system.I just finished this game and all I can say is wow. The graphics are nothing to special but they look nice and it is great to see a different style. The sound is cleverly done as well. The fighting system is nothing I hadn't seen yet accept that you could customize your own combos and what kinda power ups they gave you, which was a fantastic addition to the already very good combat system. The game-play varies from fighting a lot of enemies, climbing and a puzzle wrapped in a riddle here and there. Oh, and let's not forget that you get to change people's memory's, which gives you a great feeling of power. Last but certainly not least is the story which will leave you in awe till the very end. There are some good plot twists here and there, and accept for the sometimes awkward lines and strange bugs here and there, I had a great time with this game. It left me a great memory of a game with an epic story which also makes you think of the world we live in now. I suggest you go play the game now if you already haven't. Expand
  24. Jun 9, 2013
    I actually really like this game. The combos could be a little more freeflow, but overall it's great, but that's the problem, Dontnod actually made an interesting game world,but didnt expand on it. If it was a bigger game, not open world, but like in the same way Dark Souls is laid out, or like Deus Ex, and lets us have more freedom, put stealth and more memory abilities, like making themI actually really like this game. The combos could be a little more freeflow, but overall it's great, but that's the problem, Dontnod actually made an interesting game world,but didnt expand on it. If it was a bigger game, not open world, but like in the same way Dark Souls is laid out, or like Deus Ex, and lets us have more freedom, put stealth and more memory abilities, like making them forget how to fire a gun ir something and it would've been amazing Expand
  25. Jun 9, 2013
    I've been watching Remember Me for a while and when it came out I got it the second day after release. My first thoughts were beautiful graphics and it gave me that Mirrors Edge, Total Recall, iRobot feel right away, which isn't a bad thing at all. Im always looking for games that are different and unique, I've been playing games from atari 2600 til now and everything in between and thoughI've been watching Remember Me for a while and when it came out I got it the second day after release. My first thoughts were beautiful graphics and it gave me that Mirrors Edge, Total Recall, iRobot feel right away, which isn't a bad thing at all. Im always looking for games that are different and unique, I've been playing games from atari 2600 til now and everything in between and though this might not be the best game its surely freshing and nice to play something a little different and new. I won't spoil anything so I'll keep it short

1.Graphics 9.5/10
    2.Gameplay 8.0/10
    3.Combat system 8.5/10
    4.Fun factor 9.0/10
    5.Music 10/10

Pros: The highlights of the game are the music and the memory remixes, where u play through memoires and alter different things about it to change the out come, its all real time FWD: Pause, Play, RWD type and I've never seen anything like it.

Cons: The only down fall this games has to me is that its not open world, not even close, but thats not enough to keep people from playing it and if they continue the series thats something they can improve on making a good game a great game.

Looking for something new and different try it at least.
  26. Jun 9, 2013
    There are two components to a story that absolutely hook me for the ride: 1)I have to want to develop an empathy with the character and, 2) obviously, the story. Despite the tragic frustration and borderline insult of not being allowed to explore the wonderfully sculpted world the game is framed within (it's incredibly well done, which makes the inability to explore the huuuuuuuge #1 conThere are two components to a story that absolutely hook me for the ride: 1)I have to want to develop an empathy with the character and, 2) obviously, the story. Despite the tragic frustration and borderline insult of not being allowed to explore the wonderfully sculpted world the game is framed within (it's incredibly well done, which makes the inability to explore the huuuuuuuge #1 con on this game)and the eventual tedium of being told by little jittering arrows where to go at every leap and turn, those two personal requirements of mine were handily and, to me, very satisfyingly met.

Nilin is great...for me, the voice acting was so deftly maneuvered with inflection and emotion I couldn't help but become deeply involved in the character and her progression in reclaiming her past. I also found her deliberation of the objectives and motive set to her by the character Edge to be refreshing; if she would not have been at least suspicious or questioning of the instructions and directives set to her by an unknown agent, I would have been at least dubious of her mission and subsequent actions and, therefore, less willing to buy into the story. Knowing she was conflicted allowed a bit of personal insight and empathy with the character in the sense of what was unfolding.

And I have to maybe sidestep a bit on my second requirement: the story itself was, maybe, just ok (perhaps a tad better), but the concept behind the storyline is what I view as still worthy of high marks. The groundwork and foundation of the context of the story was provocative and well-conceived, all the while being quite believable. The ability to manipulate memory was, to me, the most underutilized and most cathartic element to the game but, ya know, with as magnificent as the limited time was in this aspect, I think it must have taken a considerable amount of time to piece together the x's and o's to make this work so I suppose I can see why there wasn't wall-to-wall memory re-writes. Altogether though, the concept was very much appreciated in this land of rampant point-and-shoot fps for a guy who, while he enjoys some time in that certain genre of games, really aches for something different and substantive. And, hey, for me, Remember Me has got it.

If DONTNOD can take some constructive critisism on their effort here, I really really really hope they consider employing some of it into a very soon-to-be-released follow-up. I would be very eager...so just do it, ok?
  27. Jun 9, 2013
    What seems to be common from many reviews is the expectations that many people had going into the game, and either finished disappointed, or didn't finish at all. I will say that though Capcom's Remember Me isn't the best game ever, probably not even close, it is a unique experience in more ways than one, keeping my attention throughout the game.

Pros: Visuals This game is

Pros:

Visuals This game is beautiful. Every piece of the world and each character is incredibly detailed. The graphics do not make the game, but Capcom puts it to good use with one of the last new IPs of the current generation. The atmosphere of Neo-Paris is gorgeous, between the slums and the high end side, each area has it's own unique style, and probably one downside is that you don't get to explore Neo-Paris more than you do.

Combat Though not the strongest portion of the game, it's concept works, and works well. The meat of the combat system is creating your own combos. Now this doesn't mean you spend hours in a menu configuring buttons trying to come up with the best attacks. There are actually four preset button combinations, each consisting of either Square or Triangle (or X & Y for the Xbox 360). Along with that, there are four different modifiers called "Pressens", which allows you to power up each press of the button. The more experience you gain throughout the game, the more Pressens you unlock, allowing you to mix and match different types of modifiers within a single combo. For example: The most simple combo is Square, Square, Square. While the first press cannot be modified, the next two can, with modifiers such as stronger attacks or regaining health with each successful hit. Included with the combos are what's called "S-Pressens", which are power ups that help you gain a slight edge. These add a bit more strategy for when you face the tougher enemies.

Remixing Memories Possibly the best part of the game. These portions allow your character Nilin to jump into somebody's memory, alter certain portions of said memory, and force them to remember something that didn't actually happen. The general idea of remixing memories is to manipulate someone into either having regrets, changing what they believe in, or completely forgetting a life-altering event. Though there aren't too many of these sequences, each moment is fun and makes you think. Each remix gives you a certain objective, and you must alter some or all options in order to get the result you want. Very cool concept in my opinion, though would loved to have seen more.

Plot I won't spoil anything, but the story was interesting, unique, something different than the usual zombie outbreaks or military operations or what have you. It's an idea that was thought out, and used effectively.

Cons:

Voice Acting The only thing that doesn't drive the story as great as it could is the voice acting. Many games have that one "voice in your head" guide that tells you what to do and where to go. This is no exception, and like other games, this voice gets annoying along the way. Other characters just don't seem to fit in with the personalities that the game sets for them. This doesn't go for every character, fortunately, just enough to want to tell a few people to hush every once in a while.

General gameplay When you're not fighting or remixing, you're running, pressing, or climbing. The latter isn't too eventful. Platforming in this game is far from great.

Story length/Replayability It's a short game, and understandably so given the plot. Without a multiplayer portion in the game, Remember Me gives a great campaign experience, though not too much of one. And that's it. You may want to replay it to retrieve missing collectibles to learn more about the history of the city and the organizations involved. But the story is linear at best. Unless you're looking to get your platinum trophy, you may be trading in the game days after you begin playing.

Completion The great story is hindered by it's flat ending. There's a moment where I'm left wondering about certain characters you met earlier in the game and if they achieved what they really wanted.

Overall: I think this will be a sleeper hit. The concepts are unique, the visuals are gorgeous, and there are little things throughout the game that made me appreciate the design of the world and the characters. I personally do not believe it deserved IGN's 5.9 rating, and it's not 9 or 10 worthy. But it's a hell of a game and a pretty incredible experience. I recommend giving it a try, even if you decide to wait til it's on sale or the price drops. Or rent it. Whichever you prefer. Go with your gut!
  28. Jun 9, 2013
    Remember Me is an action/melee/platformer in every sense of the word. I've had a fun time playing this game and thought I'd break down my thoughts of why this is so.

Combat: I really like the customization feature of being able to select different moves (Pressens) with different benefits (power, regen, chain, and cooldown) and pick what combos are most comfortable for you personally as a player to pull off. You will learn additional moves as you go along, however the way this is done here is far from rpg-style gameplay; so do not expect that going in. You cannot button mash your combos as the game requires that you properly time yourself from one hit to the next. This, I think, has lead to a perception that the controls are unresponsive because the timing window from one hit to the next is very small. But, once I got the rhythm of a combo down I rarely had a problem finishing it. You fight a lot of multiple enemies, placed in arena-like portions of the map. Enemies tend to group up and their attacks will break your combos, so it is important that you plan ahead, gain space on individual enemies, dodge, and look for vulnerable openings. Sometimes, this is easier said than done as some enemies can leap from walls, block attacks, and so forth. If you just jump into a big group and start swinging or get yourself cornered, you'll get floored pretty quickly on any difficulty. Your special S-Pressens and your arm-mounted Spammer can also be great assets in the right situations; allowing you to turn robots on their masters and stun enemies for periods of time. All in all, the combat requires you to pay attention, be creative, memorize the rhythm of your combos, and think.

The World: NeoParis is an atmospheric and beautiful place. It really is a sight for the eyes. Familiar Parisian landmarks and architecture are spread throughout a world of flying drones, cables, slums, and futuristic skyscrapers. It is, unfortunately, linear. Not a great deal of open-world happens here. However, your objectives are always clear and helpful orange arrows give you tips on where to leap or climb to next. The game does hold your hand when it comes to directions and some gamers may feel it insults their intelligence which I can completely respect. I found the directional prompts useful largely because I didn't want to spend forever hanging from a pipe wondering where to go or what to do next. The non-enemy, non-essential NPCS do not interact with you very much. Some are busy in conversation with other NPCs, others talk to themselves, and some will give you a "I don't have time to chat" in one version or another. As long as you don't have a strong desire to be a social butterfly with NPCs, this means very little.

Collectibles: Like them or hate them, there are a few different collectibles to find in the game. Some, like the Mnemist Memories, give you information and backstory. Others, like SAT Patches, boost your health after every group of five that you find (which you'll occasionally get hints for via holo-screens). Despite being a linear game, collectibles are cleverly hidden around piles of trash, in building crannies, and sometimes behind shutters that you can open with your Spammer. I personally love to find stuff so having multiple collectibles was a great experience for me.

Voice Acting/Characters: Overall, not bad. The only hiccups I noticed is that Nilin's lips don't always sync properly when talking to Edge over the comm in her ear. The dialogue itself wasn't Shakespearean, but it was pretty well done, clearly heard, conveyed believable emotion for the most part, and suited it's purpose. Nilin is the only person in the game that really gets fleshed out as a character, but the devs did a nice job of making her a complex individual that is both driven yet also conflicted. It doesn't help of course that she has lost her memory right from the get-go and has to slowly work it back; forcing her to question herself and her decisions particularly during cutscenes.

Memory Remixing: This is a truely unique feature. You are able, at set parts of the game, to change the events recorded in someone's memory....or even accidentally glitch-out their memory. It basically works like a puzzle: You have to find the right things to change in the right order to get the desired result and complete your objective. Though you don't get these opportunities often enough, as has been one of the recurring criticisms, it's a very enjoyable part of the experience.

Achievements: If you're an achievement getter, prepare to be challenged. As a forewarning, snagging all of the achievements does require multiple play-throughs. But for the size of a game like this, it's not all that taxing.
  29. Jun 15, 2013
    Remember Me is what's missing in gaming today. Original art direction inspired by a raft of Sci-Fi greats from, most obviously, Bladerunner, to the best of anime. With an original customisable combo system and a balance of story and action which keeps the pace of the game spot on, this is action gaming at it's best.
    Big props to Dontnod for massive first effort. Hopefully we can see more
    Big props to Dontnod for massive first effort. Hopefully we can see more of this world again soon. I predict that, like Bladerunner, although this release has been overshadowed by some big name games and studios that Remember Me will become the cult hit it deserves to be!
  30. Jun 18, 2013
    This game should not pass by as unknown, as it turned out to be innovative and very good—not a hit, but damn close to it. I can tell there is someone on this design team DONTNOD that worked on Heavy Rain.
    Starting out with its strengths, I’ll say that story-wise, it draws a little inspiration from Total Recall with the “memory” thing, but then takes it somewhere way beyond that into its own territory. I’m not finished with it yet, but nearing the end, and its getting more & more interesting.
    Gameplay-wise, the fighting gets progressively better as she learns more and more combos. When executed correctly, they are very rewarding. It gets interesting to work with, in that there is healing and hurting combos, to name a couple. On another level of gameplay, the Memory Remix is fun to adjust, like altering memories by literally changing them, almost like going in and literally changing the past.
    I only have one complaint: the camera can go haywire if you back into a wall or item while fighting. But other than that, a couple of the boss fights I found to be very original. I give this game an 8 or 9 easy. Don’t let it pass you by if you’re into sci fi or beat ‘em ups with innovation.

1. Nov 15, 2013
    For a first time developer, Remember Me appears highly ambitious. And while it’s got some neat ideas it never quite does anything substantial with them, instead providing an enjoyable, if forgettable experience.
  2. Moments like convincing a police officer to commit suicide because you made him think he murdered his girlfriend prove that Remember Me belongs in the top league of video games. Too bad that Dontnod does not fully capitalize on these moments by limiting your options when remixing memories. [July 2013, p.86]
  3. Jul 21, 2013
    A mess of interesting ideas inexpertly implemented, resulting in a horribly generic action game that fails to live up to its promise. [Aug 2013, p.68]