7.5

1. Aug 24, 2010
    Resident Evil 5 is simply an atrocious game. It tries to follow on from the change in the series that RE 4 brings by being more action based. But it overshoots the mark horribly and becomes a linear zombie shoot-em-up. It gets rid of all the exploring, save for one small part in the game, and all tension that remained in 4 is now long gone. Almost all enemies are the same and just charge at you from the start to the end of every level making the game boring and monotinous. All the puzzle solving has been lost too and all the "puzzles" are just, release-the-zombies switches.
    While the controls remain the same this fails to accomodate for the increase in enemies charging at you hence shooting even becomes a pain. The plot then brings all previous Resident evil storylines together into a mash-up that makes no sense with the primary focus being world domination via poisoning the world and is just plain retarded. I've never been a fan of the "world domination" evil plan because it makes no sense your just making yourself in charge of the entire world which is an awfull lot of work. In this case Wesker plans on turning the world into zombies under his command, so he's making himself ruler of the world, a world of mindless zombies.....which is just plain retarded. All the boss fights are repetitive too, there all big bosses that you just point your gun at and shoot so even there boring. All in all it's a horrible game and a terrible take on the survival horror genre I hope capcom learns from this god-awful mistake.
  2. Jan 26, 2011
    First, I will admit that I have not really played the game too much. I bought it on release and played through the first 3 chapters. I remember when RE4 came out and was excellent on the GC, so I was pretty excited about this game. Major disappointment. 5 years after RE4 and we get this game? The controls are god awful for the environments they place you in. The teammate mechanic is just horrid if you do not have an actual person playing with you. It is the exact same game as RE4 with the new "buddy" system. RE4 was excellent because it was released in 2004. This game is terrible and overrated for using the exact same game with a ridiculous story and poor gameplay 5 years later. My only gripe about RE4 was the lack of scares and horror. This game just verifies that Capcom would rather try and make a Gears Of War clone (Gears is terrible as well btw) than stick to its roots with a survival horror. Stop making Resident Evil. Let us enjoy the old games, and not have to endure another new crap movie either.... IGNORE THE 10 FROM THE ORIGINAL REVIEW Expand
  3. Mar 18, 2011
    Re5 is RE4 with all the fun drained out. Remember the terrible plot that the first RE game led? It was terrible, and so was the game, this game makes the mistake of continuing it. The AI is terrible, the monsters are glitchy, Item Management is just AWFUL! This is a Survival-Horror! It's all about item Management and RPG elements! Your partner is a bland,annoying,and thick as a brick **** who always follows you like a creepy six year old.
    Arguably just better than the 1st game, but the 1st game was **** so this is ****.
    Seriously! I was running form my partner when she came running over to me with a "Large Red Herb" and several "Mega Healing sprays" when I only had a little scar that could of been healed by a "Little Green Herb" or "Minor Health Spray."

Get someone to play wiht you anyway you can, Co-Op for Online, But it's hard to use the INV in this game even if you do have an actual person as your partner!

Online is too laggy, the AI is thick, and it continues the plot of the original.

This series was doing so good with RE4's report to the PS3! Now they've just **** up, BACK TO THE START!
  4. Jan 5, 2012
    i did not like this game at all you cant move while attacking which leaves you open to attack every time you want to kill something and when you look around the camera is too sensitive and this can not be changed as well everything you do in this game feels unnatural and clunky i played the first chapter and gave up because of the bad gameplay
  5. Jul 3, 2011
    No no no, this game has something wrong. It's difficulty level. I cant even get past the first mission after many times on the freaking easiest mode. WTH! No hope for this game, too difficult. i have trade this game for batman. much better.
  6. Apr 29, 2011
    The game was average at best. Let me start by saying this is my first Resident Evil purchase. I was not into the previous games and cannot compare to them. Pros- co-op is fun, graphics are decent, somewhat scary. Cons- clanky controls, and got boring fairly fast. Its playable in co-op, but I guess I was just disappointed in it considering the franchise has so many followers. If the other games are similar, frankly I find the franchise boring and overrated. Expand
  7. Jul 6, 2012
    Incredibly disappointing!! I spent $10 on this game and it's not worth $1. The controls and item management are pathetic and the co-op creates the most frustrating gaming experience I've had in years. Your partner wastes ammo, can't kill anything, and is generally useless. Avoid at all costs!!!!
  8. Jul 30, 2011
    this is undeniably one of the absolute worst sequels in history. furthermore, it was the let down of the century behind metal gear solid 2. the original metal gear solid was absolutely unreal. second to hardly none and absolutely decimated everything in the 90's. the second game: raiden. case closed. while resident evil 4 wasnt quite as groundbreaking as metal gear solid, it was phenomenal nonetheless and without question one of the best video games ever made. therefore, you would expect a lot from the follow-up game. and how epically disappointing it was. not only was it about as scary as a kitten snuggling with a chipmonk, but the side-character sheva is annoying beyond reason, the co-op defeated the entire purpose of the resident evil series, the weapon upgraded system was horrendous, the story was written by a chimpanzee with down syndrome, and the game itself was very boring. out of 100, i could barely give this game a 20. epic piece of **** Expand
  9. Oct 2, 2012
    The Gold edition may be a compllete package, but the controls are simply unplayable. I have never come across a game where the left and right sticks have no connection. You move and look separately, and aiming and button layout couldn't be any worse or less logical. Capcom have clearly intentionally made them this aweful and clunky. No sane mind can make controls this bad. Gameplay isn't good either. It's extremely linear, has hideous graphics and nothing in this game is really appealing, satisfying or motivating for you to play it further. Not that you could play it due to the controls. Expand
  10. Dec 28, 2011
    this game sucks. it was one of my first ps3 games and i had a huge hype on it. But, its terrible! things are difficult, all the things you do or at least try to, are hard, complicated, it's not a natural thing, i felt like a dumb robot while playing this game. I can't be unfair and talk just about the bad things, so, sounds, graphics and the atmosphere created by the game are awesome, i have to admit. it's a pity that all the visual aspects are hidded by the stupid and poor gameplay. Expand
  11. Jan 20, 2013
    what is going on here? what the? who in hell call this game a Resident Evil game?
    no horror, no puzzles and no atmosphere! why? what is wrong?
    why converting a true horror/puzzle game into pure action?!! WHY?
    whay happened to keys? The door is locked? no problem just blast the d**n thing! problem solved, and everybody is happy! THE HELL!!
    what happened to REAL puzzles like Planet 42
    anyone?
    I won't recomend this for a real horror/puzzle fan.
  12. Oct 14, 2013
    With story and dialogue written near the intellectual level of The Room, poor characterization, exposition dumps of the laziest kind, and quicktime events of increasing scale to the point where the final boss can only be defeated by them, Resident Evil 5 is a mess of a game. Using similar mechanics to Resident Evil 4, a good game, RE5 proves that good mechanics can be used poorly, when the game plays like the tense horror game RE4 was and RE5 is not. With the changes RE5 does make, you get one of the worst inventory systems I've seen in a while, and an AI partner with little purpose past accommodating the multiplayer craze. Even when playing coop with a real person, the actual "coop" in this game is forced and unnecessary. When RE5 tries to rip off RE4, it fails, and when RE5 tries something new, it fails again.

I can only recommend this for laughter's sake, as the campaign, when played with a friend, will provide many opportunities for mocking remarks and enjoyment in the lackluster qualities seen above. Otherwise, don't bother.
  13. Oct 30, 2013
    ...The worst way to copy a greatest hit (RE4) this is a horrible game...¡¿Where the hell are the SURVIVAL HORROR PUZZLES Even is so easy and the graphics are so basic... i don't know why this game is called "Resident Evil 5"
  14. Nov 16, 2013
    this game sucked so hard and wasn't even scary. When they tried making it scary it was funny! Horror games aren't supposed to be that way! Resident Evil 5 is such a bad game I don't understand why everybody says it's so great, sure the co-op was pretty cool but the gameplay sucked, the story sucked, the game sucked.
  15. Dec 10, 2013
    When Resident Evil 5 first released back 2009, Gameplay turn from Good to Worst since became Noobish, Story was BS there was no good part, Series is even more Dead thanks to making Wesker out of Character with this Release.
    Gameplay: 3/10
    Story: 0/10
    Total: 2/10
    I was once Die Hard Fan but stop caring Since Series become crap once Resident Evil 4 Released.

1. Perhaps Resident Evil 5's most remarkable achievement is how it deftly straddles the line between the franchise's sometimes endearing, sometimes frustrating, legacy gameplay mechanics while incorporating more contemporary action adventure elements like enhanced interaction and exploration of environments and a decidedly more shooter-like control scheme. [Mar 2009, p.38]
    Hardcore fans may be disappointed by the departure from the traditional survival-horror roots but trust me, the game delivers enough thrills that you probably won't care. [Apr 2009, p.68]
  3. In too many ways this is identical to the last game. That's not necessarily a bad thing - "RE4" is one of the greatest games ever made because it rewrote the rules for action games, setting a template for everything from "Dead Space" to "Dark Sector." Because of that this is still a damn near essential purchase. It's just a shame that the lack of evolution means it occasionally feels like it's lagging behind the very competitors it inspired. [Mar 2009, p.80]