7.1

1. May 27, 2014
    Revelations was a game I had fairly good expectations for. After hearing that the game is considered a return to Resident Evil's horror roots, I was expecting another true installment, similar to the lines of Resident Evil 4. Even though this game is fairly good, I can't help but feel the game is not quite as great as I was hoping it would be, and ultimately leaves me with mixed feelings.Revelations was a game I had fairly good expectations for. After hearing that the game is considered a return to Resident Evil's horror roots, I was expecting another true installment, similar to the lines of Resident Evil 4. Even though this game is fairly good, I can't help but feel the game is not quite as great as I was hoping it would be, and ultimately leaves me with mixed feelings.

One of the changes to this game is the gameplay. In RE4, 5, and even 6, the gameplay had a strategic tone to it. Shoot a weak spot on the enemy, usually the legs or head, and then perform a devastating melee attack. This strategy and gameplay always felt satisfying, and helped you conserve ammo, which makes me disappointed that it's almost completely gone in Revelations. The option to stun an enemy and perform an melee attack is here, but it's not the same as it was. Unlike past games, the new enemies don't really have any defined weakspot, meaning you'll be shooting your enemy randomly and hopefully get lucky enough to stun the enemy and then close in. However, because you can't adequately plan this out, it's not a strategy you can rely on, and the mindless shooting honestly makes the gameplay less fun. Some enemies - like the sub-bosses - do have that option to do enough damage and close in for a melee attack, but it's ultimately not enough, and feels tacked on in this game.

The game also ditched the laser sight and went with a cross hair, and I don't mean the one in RE6 (considering that one was terrible). This cross hair is standard and works fine, but I do miss the laser sight being here, but with the strategy gone, I'm questioning whether or not it would make any difference to play the game that way.

Another annoyance is your inventory. Unlike past games, the amount of ammo you can carry is limited. Instead of taking up more slots, the game straight up limits how much ammo and herbs you can carry. If the limit was fairly reasonable, it'd probably be a good mechanic, but the amount you can carry is limited so severely it's frustrating, especially when you run into those sequences where you find so much ammo, and you can't carry even a third of it. Couple this with the fact that you drain your ammo so quickly when fighting even standard enemies, and you'll think to yourself, "if I could've picked up that ammo earlier this wouldn't be such a big deal." There are items you can pick up later in the story to upgrade your capacity, but without a way to do it by yourself, it ultimately becomes one huge waiting game, and even with the upgrades, the amount you can hold is still relatively small. This game would've benefited so much from the storage system in RE5, which was a great mechanic that we haven't seen since for some odd reason.

Another thing I have mixed feelings about is the story. The story primarily follows Jill Valentine, but you take control of several other protagonists as well, which would've been a fantastic way to give the story more depth. As we've seen in games like Dead Space: Extraction, multiple view points can really help a story and make it more interesting, but Revelations fails to capture this. Out of all 4 characters, Parker is the only interesting one, with a likable personality. Jill and Chris are only memorable because they're returning characters, and the fourth guy is so boring and insignificant I can't even tell you his name right now, because I don't remember it. This was made worse by the game switching you back to Jill just as you were getting used to the new protagonist.

Also, a weak point of the story is how this game holds any relevance to the Resident Evil's overall story. The story in this game could've never happened, and it wouldn't have made any real difference to the series as a whole. All major plot points in the story are sealed by the game's end, and the story isn't big enough to make an impact on you, or hold any significance.

The graphics are definitely one of the better things about this game. The game is a port from the 3DS, but the graphics do hold up as looking pretty nice. It doesn't compare to the PS3's current standards, but it does easily outshine what we saw in the first two years of this console's life cycle in terms of visuals. Animations aren't smooth. Trying to walk in this game will lead to your character constantly jerking, which takes you out of the immersion, especially in the game's more creepy parts, and yes, the game does return to the horror elements that hardcore fans have been begging for, even if it's still not that scary overall.

The bottom line with this game is that it's an overall good title, but it has some major design decisions that I just don't understand. The lack of strategy in combat makes the overall game less engaging and fun, and the inventory space is frustrating. Hardcore fans should appreciate the return to a more horror based atmosphere, but in the end, it doesn't make up for the flaws this game has.
  2. Nov 17, 2013
    Resident Evil Revelations is an ok game, just ok! It lacks innovation and is generic at times but a step up from its predecessor RE6!.................
  3. Jun 16, 2013
    Good port of the 3DS masterpiece. I still think that they should have permanently removed the move and shoot option and stuck with the traditional RE4 style of gameplay. I think that some of the graphics could have been worked on more. There are some framerate issues, but it doesn't affect gameplay that much. Certainly better than RE6.
  4. May 1, 2014
    A mix between the old-style mansion set-up and over-the-shoulder shooting mechanics (with walking) minus ANY scares and a **** end boss battle. Although this game is better than 6 by a mile, this whole series is unscary and cheesy as all f*ck nowadays. Meh...
  5. Jun 5, 2013
    I'm about 3 hours in and it's a good game so far despite some juvenile dialogue and basic story. It just feels good playing it, a game you want to explore and drive the story on at the same time. It's not as good as res evil 4 or dead space but cruise liners and survival horror are a pretty sweet combo. If I had any advice I'd say wait 12 months and then get it for a £10 second hand, justI'm about 3 hours in and it's a good game so far despite some juvenile dialogue and basic story. It just feels good playing it, a game you want to explore and drive the story on at the same time. It's not as good as res evil 4 or dead space but cruise liners and survival horror are a pretty sweet combo. If I had any advice I'd say wait 12 months and then get it for a £10 second hand, just make sure to put it on your list.
    Overall 7.33
  6. Jun 13, 2013
    A fun game. Obviously, a lot of time and effort went into the plot and writing. Even though the game was fast moving, it seemed like I spent more time trying to find my way around from place to place than I did fighting. I would have liked the game more had there been more action.
  7. Jun 1, 2013
    The puzzles, maps, graphics and turnarounds of this game are just exquisite to me. Jill is babyfaced by Capcom and looks far younger and cuter~ However, the cons of this game are you CAN'T RUN, useless partner and enemies mainly pursue you and completely disregard your partner.
  8. Nov 20, 2013
    Un juego que prometía mucho pero que se ha quedado entre aburrido, repetitivo y con una trama que no engancha en absoluto. La verdad es que la jugabilidad es robótica y dificultosa, los enemigos son idiotas, no hay zombis...tenia posibilidades pero la han cagado, prefiero jugar al Resident Evil 5 o 6 que a este, me ha parecido un paso atrás respecto a la sexta entrega, no lo recomiendo,Un juego que prometía mucho pero que se ha quedado entre aburrido, repetitivo y con una trama que no engancha en absoluto. La verdad es que la jugabilidad es robótica y dificultosa, los enemigos son idiotas, no hay zombis...tenia posibilidades pero la han cagado, prefiero jugar al Resident Evil 5 o 6 que a este, me ha parecido un paso atrás respecto a la sexta entrega, no lo recomiendo, por cierto...de miedo no tenia nada...jugaba obligado y deseando terminarlo para venderlo y comprarme el The Last Of Us Expand
  9. May 14, 2014
    This game isn't great. The characters and dialogue aren't up to Resident Evil 5 standards but are better than 6 (which isn't hard)... but the game just isn't fun. Also some of the textures are terrible which really breaks the immersion. I love Resident Evil games but this one was difficult to complete as there was little reward to slog through the cheap deaths, and monotonous fights.
  10. Aug 11, 2013
    Definitely worth buying.A step in the right direction as some have said and can only get better. This gives a bit of hope for Resident Evil 7 if they do make one. The only negatives was that the story was somewhat boring and was not always straight forward.Also, it got repetitive-something is broken, must be fixed, fight zombies in the meantime whilst finding a way to fix it-this gotDefinitely worth buying.A step in the right direction as some have said and can only get better. This gives a bit of hope for Resident Evil 7 if they do make one. The only negatives was that the story was somewhat boring and was not always straight forward.Also, it got repetitive-something is broken, must be fixed, fight zombies in the meantime whilst finding a way to fix it-this got annoying. Overall a decent game. Expand
  11. May 12, 2015

1. Sep 18, 2013
    A last year's model that's been brushed off, proving that bigger is not always better. This one serves well while waiting for the next "big" Resident Evil title. But if you skip this chapter, you'll feel no remorse. Especially when you think about that wide horizon of zombie games that are much more effective.
  2. Sep 17, 2013
    Revelations is an okay game, but too simple a port from the 3DS game. Game technical it’s one of the greatest horror games of the last years, but that says it all. It has the same defects as the 3DS version and it’s too expensive for that.
  3. Sep 10, 2013
    Resident Evil Revelations managed great with its technical limitations and delivered a game more built on atmosphere and tension than on pure action. The story was dull but the adventure still riddled with exciting moments. The 3DS version may still be the better of the two but on console we get both improved graphics and better controls.