Resistance 2 PlayStation 3

• Release Date: Nov 4, 2008
6.1

1. Meg
    Nov 24, 2008
    Why 4? They took something brilliant and they neutered it. The designers removed the most enjoyable aspect of Resistance 1 - The campaign/storyline co-op mode. The missions co-op is tedious and not half as enjoyable as the original set out where you could go through the entire story with a friend. The single player campaign is good, but not great. All sparkles and shine in the first half Why 4? They took something brilliant and they neutered it. The designers removed the most enjoyable aspect of Resistance 1 - The campaign/storyline co-op mode. The missions co-op is tedious and not half as enjoyable as the original set out where you could go through the entire story with a friend. The single player campaign is good, but not great. All sparkles and shine in the first half with new guns and scarier monsters, but this wears off eventually, dissolving to repeated predictable combat scenarios of enter room, run and shoot, find ammo, rinse, repeat. The final act in terms of storyline is a big let down, and I won't spoil here why. In short, graphics and music are stunningly good, but gameplay is just such an utter let down here. What a shame! Expand
  2. Feb 26, 2012
    This game simply was an overt let down and the series should have ended with this game. Terrible. The entire game felt scripted, and it was literally the same thing over and over. The variety and capacity of weapons found in the first game is nonexistent. The story is dull and boring. Possible one of the worst games I have ever played. Boring. This game should have gone back to the drawing board.
  3. Dec 9, 2012
    Lets start by saying I am new to the PS3 having had an XBOX 360 for a few years now,but I decided to get a Playstation and bought Resistance 2 together with Fall of man,I really loved the first game,but this is a stinker.

What went wrong everything about Resistance 1 that was good,the controls,the story the game-play were thrown out of the window for this sequel what were the developers thinking,where they drunk all the time through development or were they playing a joke on gamers,whatever it was they really messed this game up it's as if a whole new team worked on it without any or little knowledge of what came before.

I can't think of anything but the rumble feature that this game has that's an improvement over the first,this game is all trial and error and it gets really tedious when you die over and over and over and over again and each time have to start again from the beginning of the level, you often die because enemies just spawn out of nowhere when you least expect you also get confused as to what to do and where to go you often get swarmed with masses of creatures who bizarrely only target you and not your teams mates and you often run out of ammo a lot as you are restricted to two guns,they also changed the controls around as well which annoys the hell out of me,but I finished this game because I bought it,but had I known how bad and inferior it would be compared to the first game I wouldn't have bought it,this game isn't worth buying at all,rent it instead,but even then you'd feel ripped off.
  4. Jack
    Nov 6, 2008
    do yourself a favor this holiday season...play Dead Space, Fallout 3, or even wait for Call of Duty 5 (which may suck, sure, but doubtfully this time around for Treyarch since they are using everything that made CoD4 awesome and expanding on it...with the exception of a WWII story). anyway you slice it, if you're not already an obsessed fanboy, don't get this one. I owned the do yourself a favor this holiday season...play Dead Space, Fallout 3, or even wait for Call of Duty 5 (which may suck, sure, but doubtfully this time around for Treyarch since they are using everything that made CoD4 awesome and expanding on it...with the exception of a WWII story). anyway you slice it, if you're not already an obsessed fanboy, don't get this one. I owned the first resistance and suffered through one of the most BORING single player campaigns i'd ever encountered, and quit playing it halfway through. Expand
  5. JustinD.
    Jan 26, 2009
    Before I played this game, I had read several reviews that touched on its lackluster artificial intelligence, but none of them stated what a game breaking it problem it actually is. Resistance 2's AI is utterly repugnant, and easily among the worst I've experienced in any FPS, even going back to shooters from the previous console generation. Enemies will routinely ignore your AI Before I played this game, I had read several reviews that touched on its lackluster artificial intelligence, but none of them stated what a game breaking it problem it actually is. Resistance 2's AI is utterly repugnant, and easily among the worst I've experienced in any FPS, even going back to shooters from the previous console generation. Enemies will routinely ignore your AI allies, focusing solely on you, even if you haven't fired a single shot at them. They also seem to know where you are at all times. In one such instance, I was going through houses in a suburban neighborhood. My teammates had run ahead of me, outside and into the yard, while I was checking the house for guns and items. When the eggs in the yard started hatching, the chimera ran past my teammates who were shooting at them, and into the house where I was, even though it was impossible for them to have seen where I was. This ruined the immersion of the game for me, making the entire experience feel extremely cheap and artificial. Another area where the game fails is level design. Most levels are extremely linear, and even the larger areas present very little in the way of tactical options. Even when there is some cover to hide behind, many of the enemies will make regular use of the Auger - an energy weapon capable of shooting through walls - thus nullifying any cover tactics that might have been available to you. Only worsening this, the game makes liberal use of cheap deaths in a number of instances, often resorting to a highly frustrating case of trial and error. Even in the most extreme of these instances, the game does very little to warn or otherwise prepare you for what's about to happen. Thus, most of these deaths are completely unavoidable, and seem like they were only put in place to extend the overall length of the game, albeit in the cheapest possible way. The multiplayer aspect of the game is solid enough, but not particularly noteworthy, especially when compared to that of other recent shooters. The 60-player online matches are relatively smooth, as is the online co-op mode. As a purely multiplayer experience, Resistance 2 is adequate, but the terrible single player campaign only tarnishes what could have been a solid followup to the original. Collapse
  6. olliecook
    Feb 23, 2009
    GARBAGE!!! Insomniac, WTF are you DOING? Why take a good thing and ruin it? Everything I liked about R1 is gone: Story, multiple weapons, pacing is awful, I was in an empty yard without ANY enemies for over 10 minis, what a waste.Seems like the whole thing was rushed, full of bugs...had high hopes for this series, as R1 was a good and solid...lets hope they get their game back for R3
  7. Apr 28, 2013
    Another Call of duty clone of what could've been the best sequel of any shooter until now. The developers literally butchered everything that they've created since the first game, no more investigating levels to get those beautiful archives that were actually interesting and would tell you about the story of the game, no more diary having an history of every weapon and every type ofAnother Call of duty clone of what could've been the best sequel of any shooter until now. The developers literally butchered everything that they've created since the first game, no more investigating levels to get those beautiful archives that were actually interesting and would tell you about the story of the game, no more diary having an history of every weapon and every type of chimera that there was before, no more carry an arsenal in your backpack, no more characters from the first game, and i mean there's no one they even remove the narrator, but the worst part is that the first game characters are replaced by dull boring uninteresting characters that you not know a single thing about them.
    Then you have the regenerating health (straight from cod), you also have the two gun limitation (again straight from cod) and after that even the melee animations are exactly the same ones from cod.
    The only reason why i'm giving this game a four and not a lower score is because the multiplayer is barely decent which sadly i need to count if not i would probably give this game a score of two.
    Is sad and demeaning how Insomniac just released this game only to sell, im telling you the call of duty similarities are frighting.
    In conclusion Resistance 2 is by far the most disappointing sequel that i've ever played until now,(and i've played mw3), dull characters, awful team ai, not even mentioning the fact that you're constantly are going to be asking yourself. Why the chimera is here again? just leaves me with a putrid disgusting feel towards Insomniac games and just the big scum liar sellout that they've become after making such an amazing game like resistance fall of man was.
  8. BananaMan
    Jan 6, 2009
    I thought the first Resistance was bad. Boy was I wrong. This game is the definition of bad. The campaign is complete crap, the multiplayer is crap as well. 60 players? Quality over quantity.

And to Dez C, who said Halo died after the first game... is that right? Then explain to me why Halo 3 is the fastest selling game of all time, has a 94 average on MetaCritic, and is still the most played online game a year after its release. Find another game from this gen that released on one console and has already sold 9 million units. You can't.
  9. RockyS.
    Nov 18, 2008
    Run of the mill shooter. It claims a 64 man online game but I could never find more than 3 or 4 people playing online. That is why I lowered the score because it got me hyped for massive online games and that never even came close to being true.
  10. CharlesL.
    Oct 25, 2008
    Wow lets capitalize on two of the most profitable first person shooters and take Halo and combine it with Call of Duty, and then add a little Ratchet and Clank for "originality". From our experience with that series we only need to add new guns in order to make a sequel without any real gameplay development. Our work is done gentlemen (by people who've virtually already done it for usWow lets capitalize on two of the most profitable first person shooters and take Halo and combine it with Call of Duty, and then add a little Ratchet and Clank for "originality". From our experience with that series we only need to add new guns in order to make a sequel without any real gameplay development. Our work is done gentlemen (by people who've virtually already done it for us of course). Expand
  11. TylerH
    Jan 7, 2009
    While this games isn't a total waste, I was disappointed none the less. I tend to expect alot from shooters because its my favortie type, and because theres so many out there that they need to stand out, but R2 went 180 degrees the wrong way and spun into a ditch. I'll list some of my frustrations. Graphics - Terrible. How are some so easily amazed by them? They are not good While this games isn't a total waste, I was disappointed none the less. I tend to expect alot from shooters because its my favortie type, and because theres so many out there that they need to stand out, but R2 went 180 degrees the wrong way and spun into a ditch. I'll list some of my frustrations. Graphics - Terrible. How are some so easily amazed by them? They are not good unless your used to playing a Wii. They are worse than Resistance 1, and on par with Haze (which didnt have good anything). While I dont believe graphcis make a game, they could have definately improved... alot. In multiplayer, its hard to even tell detail or what the hell is going on. I have a 42in LCD, i should be able to see a little better than what is portrayed. Options you have to customize your character are useless with the graphics engine. R2 shamed the ps3 in this category big time. gameplay - Alot of trial and error. Rediculous AI that can find you ANYWHERE. Me and a friend tried coop and he stayed back... on the otherside of the map because he had low health, wanted me to clear out the chimera. I pressed a button, here they come, I die, and then they immediately go to my friend, killing him. Hilariously rediculous. Single player, you turn a corner and die. Cheap deaths make this game painful to play. storyline - while they did make everything on a bigger scale, it just doesn't feel right. So what if there is a huge space ship in the sky taking up most of my screen, it doesn't make up for the game. The story doesn't seem to follow any pattern, it just jumps around to different random bosses and eventually you fight an end boss. Hale is portrayed completely different now than he was in R1. I dont get where all these reviewers are saying this one is better than the 1st. Whatever gun you need for the spot in the map that your at, will coinsidentally be right in front of you before the they throw 30 chimera at you. Extremely linear maps have you going in a straight path for almost 100% of the game. I never got lost or even had to question where i was going. A.I in general is too good. They can kill you with ease. R2 copies Cod4 style health which is annyoing as hell for this type of game, and the same beat to death 2 gun limit with a few nades. Those that say there aren't people playing online are lying. There are people, I just dont know why they are. 60 player maps have to purpose or reason, its just chaos... and not in a good way. Snipers are just about useless in R2. They were stragetic in the first. Map design is poorly crafted... I dont know what else off the top of my head I can say... but please... PLEASE rent this before you buy. I completely regret layin down the $ for the collectors edition. Another overhyped game that I bought into and now have to pay for. Expand
  12. JaredK
    Mar 8, 2009
    The original Resistance was my favorite game on the console. I waited eagerly for the sequel -- and was then bitterly disappointed when it arrived. It's like the original game was designed by a single guy with a gritty vision of a dingy reimagining of WW2 with aliens. Then they decided the sequel should be written by a focus group. To all you idjits who didn't "get" the first The original Resistance was my favorite game on the console. I waited eagerly for the sequel -- and was then bitterly disappointed when it arrived. It's like the original game was designed by a single guy with a gritty vision of a dingy reimagining of WW2 with aliens. Then they decided the sequel should be written by a focus group. To all you idjits who didn't "get" the first one: Yeah, it's nearly black-and-white on purpose. Yeah, it's unrealistic to be able to carry 20 guns at once. Yeah, it's great that your complaints ruined what had been a mind-blowingly fun title. Congrats. Expand
  13. AustinV
    Jan 1, 2010
    Possibly one of the WORST next-gen games i have ever played,I strongly urge you NOT to buy this game if you are looking for a great single player or competitive multi-player the single player is boring and feels like a rip of Halo and Call of Duty,the enemy's are all common and the checkpoints are terribly put in place,once I was playing and used my sniper to take all enemies out Possibly one of the WORST next-gen games i have ever played,I strongly urge you NOT to buy this game if you are looking for a great single player or competitive multi-player the single player is boring and feels like a rip of Halo and Call of Duty,the enemy's are all common and the checkpoints are terribly put in place,once I was playing and used my sniper to take all enemies out ahead of me,it took a while but all of them were dead,so I moved on,and died,I respawned and All of my sniper ammo was gone,but the enemies were still there. Now,on the the Competitive multi-player,one word...TERRIBLE,there is little fun to be had here,there is absolutley NO balance and noone uses a microphone ,and its chaotic,but not at all in a good way. The one fun thing thing that you can truly have genuine fun on this game is probably the Co-Op multiplayer which allows you to choose from 3 classes,Soldier,Medic, and Spec-Ops,it may not be as customizable as borderlands,but there are many hours of fun to be had here but the lack of functioning players is another thing,if you only speak english(like me) most of the time you won't understand the people who do have microphones(in my experience) also,your lucky ti find someone who DOES have a micropohne,and extremely lucky if its not a 5 year old or someone yelling at you in spanish. But if you can get a couple of friends, you can have alot of fun in the co- op mode,other than that,this game is trash. Expand
  14. DannyHavoc
    Nov 1, 2008
    I have been looking forward to this game since the original one came out. I've been patiently waiting, humble and submissive. And then the day comes where I finally get to play it. I even got my copy a few days early. And so I began to play...

Insomniac? For crying out loud. What the hell have you been doing the last 2 years! Smoking pot?
  15. CollieS.
    Nov 11, 2008
    This game is garbage. Poor control, confusing...huge disappointment from the first version. I was really anticipating this game and am so disappointed on what a waste is is. My friends are all upset as well. Don't waste your money on this. Buy Gears of War II instead!
  16. artykushner
    Nov 26, 2008
    BEWARE:there are issues saving this game. WHEN I LOAD SAVED DATA I GET A MESSAEG THAT READS" DATA CORRUPTION" and all my saved info is deleted. many other users are having the same problem. THIS IS VERY BAD as you have to completelt rebbot the game each time you play. i feel cheated and stuck without a solution
  17. ArnoldV.
    Nov 4, 2008
    This game is bad. Seriously... what kind of game have such confusing and completely no fun multiplayer modes like this? Ran far, far away from this game, do not spend a single cent with amateur games like this.
  18. DanielTrun
    Oct 30, 2008
    Quite a disappoint of a sequel. The graphics aren't that great, and the gameplay feels stiff at times. The story is interesting though, but overall, the game just feels like it didn't deliver the series into a whole new level. Do yourself a favor and "resist" buying the game before renting it.
  19. JoeH.
    Nov 19, 2008
    A very terrible game I regret to inform you, curious metacritic browsing person. I did not care much for the game at all. I would rate it a zero out of ten because' I could not stand the game long enough to actually play. I now use the disc as a Frisbee for my dog. It is typical of the Piece of Sh*t 3 to achieve such terrible releases.
  20. mikesid...
    Nov 28, 2008
    got this 2day & have played the 1st 4 chapters. was stunned by how terrible the graphics are!! gameplay is ok, pretty much the same as the 1st. put this on next 2 gears 2 & u wud think it was on ps2, not ps3. shame coz ive been lukin 4ward 2 this 4 months. it feels like haze all over again 2 me. ps. wots the point me having a 1080p tv when even ps3 exclusives cant manage it. every game ingot this 2day & have played the 1st 4 chapters. was stunned by how terrible the graphics are!! gameplay is ok, pretty much the same as the 1st. put this on next 2 gears 2 & u wud think it was on ps2, not ps3. shame coz ive been lukin 4ward 2 this 4 months. it feels like haze all over again 2 me. ps. wots the point me having a 1080p tv when even ps3 exclusives cant manage it. every game in my 360 collection r & they all luk awesome!! Expand
  21. J.Callias
    Nov 29, 2008
    Poor campaign - no thinking is required, just wander from place to place, pick the "right" gun that's is there, kill the monsters, drop gun, move on to next scene, pick up the "right gun", kill monster, ad nauseum. The original was excellent. Here, they've gone for the "let's dumb it all down." Wait for the game to drop below $30 to buy.
  22. JohnSmitts
    Nov 3, 2008
    Just another reason not to pick up the PS3. With games like this it makes me wonder what is the point of owning a PS3. The only thing the game has is a good coop, besides that no point of paying 60.00 for this. Definitely a rental all the way.
  23. BenP.
    Nov 4, 2008
    Single player campaign would be about a 5 out of 10. Story is about a 5 out of 10. Control is a 3 out of 10. MP is too broken, buggy, laggy and impossible to use so it gets a -5. In three hours of trying to play on game I maybe played for 15 minutes. And I wasn't even able to play all the way through before I got kicked out .
  24. FrankB.
    Nov 12, 2008
    I bought this game thinking i would get a great game ... but i was wrong .. this game is a shit coming from some guys ass .. the campain is total bullshit with no story at all .. all you do is run where you are told to go and not much more .. easy bosses and with sucky muiltyplayer ... so i give this shit a big fat 0
  25. NathanHale
    Dec 28, 2008
    Game could of been better - nothing really improved from Resistance 1 except more people online in one match (60 total, 30 vs 30), weapons selection is limited. Graphics are good, but disappointing a bit - c'mon, it's been 3 years and still no game has TRULY untilized full Bluray technology.
  26. Sep 13, 2010
    Resistance 2 was mediocre at best. With a horrible story and terrible gameplay, i don't understand the hype over it.
    The only semi-good part of this game was that the multiplayer coop took a LITTLE bit of skill.. then again this was on the hardest difficulty. Overall, not a game which money should be spent on.
  27. Oct 15, 2010
    The game is a first person shooter, it is bloody at some parts of the game. you are Nathan Hale from Resistance 1: fall of man, most people consider this game to be a lot like Halo me personally I think it is. But there is a lot difference the graphics are outstanding for this sort of game, how good the detail of every creature, machinery and scenery is amazing. Plus to top it off theThe game is a first person shooter, it is bloody at some parts of the game. you are Nathan Hale from Resistance 1: fall of man, most people consider this game to be a lot like Halo me personally I think it is. But there is a lot difference the graphics are outstanding for this sort of game, how good the detail of every creature, machinery and scenery is amazing. Plus to top it off the sound effects from the nearest bullet to the loudest roar or scream, in the game goes really well with it all. the story mode has loads of interesting missions it literally puts you in the game, it has you on the edge of seat and the game if you are playing it on your own with no one else around it has the ability, to make you jump. lots of unexpected things are going to happen so be prepared if you have never played this game before.
    compared to Resistance 1 the chimera (aliens) have changed it is the old kind now in these one are harder to kill and have a lot more accuracy unless you know how to dodge most of there bullets, they have all new monsters that a hard to defeat (depends on the difficulty setting) but there is a a weakness that they all have. Also you have a chance to wield new guns and the all new lark (rocket launcher).

now the multi-player is excellent I could play it straight with a cup of coffee next to me and just keep playing. It will take you a lot to get board of this game if you like the first one and if you are into this sort of game your going to love it. it offers you co-operative on-line/off-line game play which is some story missions but changed around a bit, you can do straight forward battling with other players on-line, and there are many more awaiting you.

the game as far as I think is amazing I cant see no problems with it, but there are a lot off changes compared to resistance fall of man like guns and now you can zoom which is a good thing because it comes handy, trust me I know and others who have played this game will agree, some people moan that you can only carry two weapons, in resistance 1 you could carry more than 4 guns. which I don't moan about because they have tried to make this as real as possible, and I guarantee that you could not carry more than 4 guns, and run around like he does. The games is truly amazing just remember to be aware and prepared. TIP: always reload your weapon after you have finished killing.
  28. Apr 14, 2011
    I just couldn't get into this trash, I found it was boring, too linear for my liking. Although I find it trash others may like it. even if I do not understand why. Just like the Kill Zone series, I find these games a big flop.
  29. Jul 7, 2012
    I enjoyed Resistance 1 and 3 but this game is just bad. They some how screwed up coop campaign, the online multi player is disappointing, the appearance is ugly and jarring and random **** is shiny all over the place, and just oh god its bad, really really bad. Stick to resistance 1 and 3 pretend this game doesn't exist. Also don't play the portable titles.
  30. Nov 19, 2015
    Horrible everything. Sound design. Story. Graphics. Game play. From 2015 perspective at least. This is PS3 exclusive ou must avoid. Al thou it's playable. i'm giving this game 0 so it would disappear from top.
  31. AnonymousMC
    Oct 25, 2008
    This game blows. About 1 out of 50 games I play is relatively LAG free, the other times it feels like my TV is having a seizer. The SP is pretty linear, there's no WOW factor to it it's basically "You see this bad guy? Well you need to kill him to win the game." And for the boss the size of a skyscraper, way to easy. It was basically run from point A to point B and shoot and heThis game blows. About 1 out of 50 games I play is relatively LAG free, the other times it feels like my TV is having a seizer. The SP is pretty linear, there's no WOW factor to it it's basically "You see this bad guy? Well you need to kill him to win the game." And for the boss the size of a skyscraper, way to easy. It was basically run from point A to point B and shoot and he dies. All in all Insomniac Games really dropped the ball on this one and I really had high hopes for this game. Expand
  32. ClarkG
    Nov 17, 2009
    What a boring pile of trash. Worse than Gears of War. I really got into the first one, but this one is four or five steps backward. There was absolutely nothing in the campaign that approached interesting. Only an uncommonly boring game will let me start falling asleep while playing it--a shameful distinction that this game has earned.
  33. JimTodd
    Dec 27, 2008
    If it worked the game would be great, but it currently has a number of joy-killing bugs, including one that corrupts all your saves, forcing you to start over. Two months after launch and still no sign that this is going to be fixed. Also, the lobby system works as designed ,but is designed horribly, forcing you to completely rebuild your game on a mission failure - no real lobby toIf it worked the game would be great, but it currently has a number of joy-killing bugs, including one that corrupts all your saves, forcing you to start over. Two months after launch and still no sign that this is going to be fixed. Also, the lobby system works as designed ,but is designed horribly, forcing you to completely rebuild your game on a mission failure - no real lobby to restart from....Much of the game is fun, and if they fixed the bugs and lobby I might give it a 7 or 8 Expand
  34. Nov 13, 2012
    This game is utter trash and incredibly overrated. It took queues from the COD franchise but executed them in an extremely awkward manner, resulting in a overall awkward and unpleasant experience. You move extremely slow, as if your ability to run present in the first game, somehow vanished, and got instead replaced by an annoying sprint option. Hale also lost his ability to aim alsoThis game is utter trash and incredibly overrated. It took queues from the COD franchise but executed them in an extremely awkward manner, resulting in a overall awkward and unpleasant experience. You move extremely slow, as if your ability to run present in the first game, somehow vanished, and got instead replaced by an annoying sprint option. Hale also lost his ability to aim also present in the first game, now if you want to kill any enemy, you will have to press the aim button, because that would be more fun they thought? The graphics are also a complete mess, one minute you're looking at decent looking and interesting environments, the next, you're looking at low res textures and ugly characters.
    Extremely disappointed in this considering Resistance 1 wasn't the best FPS ever but it was at least enjoyable, this is utter trash.

The single player is epic in scope and in story, which is practically worth the price of admission by itself. Then you throw in the extremely engaging co-op and competitive play, which expands on replayability in just about every way possible. Toss in a generous number of unlockables, trophies and community support, and you've got a phenomenal experience.
  2. It succeeds because it doesn’t just try to throw more humans into the same old environments and gameplay. It offers a smart three class system that encourages savvy team-work, an experience meter that builds to enable special attacks and uses levels designed specifically for the mode to maximise the resulting gameplay. It also dynamically shifts the action to take into account the number and skill of players in each game, making for near endless replayability. It’s a hit, pure and simple.
    Resistance 2 is gutsier, it’s gorier, and it’s much, much bigger.