Resistance 2 PlayStation 3

• Release Date: Nov 4, 2008
6.1

1. ChristianD.
    Nov 16, 2008
    Great Story, Great Gameplay, Great Multi player and Co-op Incredible weapons but the only flaw is that since the Games has incredible Weapons u shoud be able to carry them all around like in the first resistance but a minor flaw compared to an incredible exprience of gaming.
  2. HarveyN.
    Nov 23, 2008
    This is a great game, but it really should be getting two separate reviews for single player and multiplayer. The single player campaign is decent, but not exceptional. Its got some fun moments and some frustrating ones, and overall ranks an 8. The multiplayer is where the game shines. Coop mode is addictive and fun. The maps are well designed, and the overall mission system is great.
  3. BarryP
    Nov 28, 2008
    I really think it's a great First person shooter. I doesn't do alot of new things, but there's not much more the genre can really give. The online cooperative missions are a real let down in my eyes and feels very rushed. Had they implemented a real story mode co-op rather than a sketchy, unrelated one then i'm sure the overall Metacritic score could have been well I really think it's a great First person shooter. I doesn't do alot of new things, but there's not much more the genre can really give. The online cooperative missions are a real let down in my eyes and feels very rushed. Had they implemented a real story mode co-op rather than a sketchy, unrelated one then i'm sure the overall Metacritic score could have been well over 93. The story mode is amazing, innovative and keeps you on your feet constantly. There is also absolutely nothing that tops the competitive multiplayer mode either, seeing as you can play 1 map with an incredible 60 players and in good nick, i.e no lag etc. The gorgeous graphics are a small part of what makes this game a superb and innovative experience and i don't think there's any other FPS out there that tops it, not even the likes of CoD4 or Halo 3. Both are decent in their respective ways but this towers over both. I own a 360 (i had to sell about 6 360 games and 2 PS3 games to get this :p) and a PS3 and like both, so i'm no fanboy. Quite frankly i'm getting sick of the rivalry of 360vs PS3 fanboys and the trolling of game reviews by them. There is no way PS3 only fans made this a 5.5 with over 1000 votes and in contrast Gears of War has 6.8 with 800. It's getting to the point where the site has to crack down on trolls and do what they promised to do, required registration to vote. Oh and on another note, buy this game, you will love it! Expand
  4. JLRuiz
    Nov 29, 2008
    The Campaign mode is not as good as i thought it would be but is still enjoyable and far better than halo 3. But the online mode kicks the shit out of any other shooter out there(on any console), if you enjoy online shooters this is as good as it gets.
  5. MattBecker
    Dec 28, 2008
    I see lots of people complaining about Resistance 2 being "just another shooter." Here is my question to all you people: what exactly are you looking for? The single player story might not be Oscar worthy material... but neither is Gears of War, and I don't see you guys ripping that to pieces. What I look for in a game is fun, and Resistance 2 has plenty of that. It's got intenseI see lots of people complaining about Resistance 2 being "just another shooter." Here is my question to all you people: what exactly are you looking for? The single player story might not be Oscar worthy material... but neither is Gears of War, and I don't see you guys ripping that to pieces. What I look for in a game is fun, and Resistance 2 has plenty of that. It's got intense single player scenarios and great 60 person multiplayer. Don't know what else someone could ask for in a FPS (unless you're looking for something like Bioshock, which is an awesome game with an important message). Expand
  6. Scott
    Dec 29, 2008
    This one is better than RFOM in every way. The graphice are so good I actually let myself die in a few areas just to view the scenery. I got in a room with 60 people in a team deathmatch and had no lag at all, I can even say that about HALO 3 with only 16 people. If you liked the first Resistance you will love this one. Hope they make a third one.
  7. Sep 27, 2010
    the first game was alot of fun the second one is and has some improvements over the first but also some things that make it not as fun as the first. the biggest issue i had was the halo gun carrying BS you went from holding a arsonal to now just 2 guns??? why?! i liked it the way it was before. plus they removed some guns and grenades . no more backlash grenades ... sucks. i dont want thisthe first game was alot of fun the second one is and has some improvements over the first but also some things that make it not as fun as the first. the biggest issue i had was the halo gun carrying BS you went from holding a arsonal to now just 2 guns??? why?! i liked it the way it was before. plus they removed some guns and grenades . no more backlash grenades ... sucks. i dont want this game to be like Halo cause i **** HATE HALO! if i wanted to play that trash id play it on my 360 . the game does add some cool new features first the online is now fun the addition of 64 players in a match looks sweet and runs great ive seen very little lag . this is the first online PS3 game since the first motor storm ive enjoyed . the boss battles are just sick looking they are just freeking HUGE! the story is ok but nothing really feels like its been answered much . you get alittle new info on the chimera but not as much as i woulda hoped . this game also needs CO op srory mode . they have a co op mode but its more like the horde mode in Gears 2 it is kinda fun but id rather have the other. its a fun game but some may be more digruntled then me with the story mode but the online saved it for me. Expand
  8. Mar 3, 2011
    While not perfect, it is still one of the best shooters on PS3. The online modes are phenomenal, and the campaign has an excellent storyline. While many gamers prefer the first one, I stand by my statement that the second Resistance is a definite improvement. With very few glitches and well balanced gameplay, I would not recommend passing up on Resistance 2.
  9. Mar 16, 2011
    the game it self is good. the story was probably the best because the ending was good. it felt like a movie. but the story mode lacked the awesomness that the first had. they changed a lot from the first one. right now the olny reason to buy it is to continue the story. the online community is probably a fraction of what it was.
  10. Jul 28, 2011
    Insomniac seems that they are starting to surpass greatness to bastardizing creativeness. While their sequel to one of the most important series in the PS3 isn't a bang, explosive thrill or amazing war, their acknowledge to make a nice shooter ( better than before) set them high. Resistance 2 doesn't change to much gameplay, graphics ( lacking) etc. Very dated details kills theInsomniac seems that they are starting to surpass greatness to bastardizing creativeness. While their sequel to one of the most important series in the PS3 isn't a bang, explosive thrill or amazing war, their acknowledge to make a nice shooter ( better than before) set them high. Resistance 2 doesn't change to much gameplay, graphics ( lacking) etc. Very dated details kills the environment , lifeless compared to other shooters, though , not very negative, sometimes graphics power force isn't necessary in some cases, although, it makes it more believable. Apart from minor flaws, is worth the trip. Expand
  11. Apr 29, 2011
    I know the game is very old by now, but I was browsing the site and couldn't believe this low score. The single player game was great. Very fun, and at times rather scary. While the story wasn't perfect, I disagree that it was just "see this bad guy and kill him". I thought it was very playable and enjoyable. The multiplayer was average at best and was the real shortcoming of theI know the game is very old by now, but I was browsing the site and couldn't believe this low score. The single player game was great. Very fun, and at times rather scary. While the story wasn't perfect, I disagree that it was just "see this bad guy and kill him". I thought it was very playable and enjoyable. The multiplayer was average at best and was the real shortcoming of the game. BUT the single player made it worth the cost alone. I will be purchasing Resistance 3 simply because I liked this game so much. Expand
  12. Oct 3, 2011
    This game is very intense and has an incredible "old school feel" without being dated.
    After I experienced the game I totally agree with Classic Game Room's review (check it on youtube) and I truly believe Resistance is a underrated game series. I am not a big fun of modern military FPS, but as an older gamer I enjoyed sci-fi, horror, comedy and more unique FPSs for years and because of that, Resistance and Bioshock brought back my interest and enjoyment with shooters.
    Intense shooting and interesting story, huge and expressive bosses and creatures, that "60's sci-fi movies feel", epic battles and an incredible multiplayer (it would be even better if the game had more popularity) are details that make Resistance 2 a pretty good game in my opinion.
  13. Dec 21, 2013
    I enjoyed playing this game more than the first one, mainly because the campaign was much more epic. The number of enemies and amount of action going on at any one time is tremendous and really pulls you into feeling like you are in a war. Fighting huge enemy bosses was also very cool, reminds me of old school games. The story was a nice continuation from the first game and the graphicsI enjoyed playing this game more than the first one, mainly because the campaign was much more epic. The number of enemies and amount of action going on at any one time is tremendous and really pulls you into feeling like you are in a war. Fighting huge enemy bosses was also very cool, reminds me of old school games. The story was a nice continuation from the first game and the graphics and sound are a lot better.

There are some changes I didn't care for. I missed the gun wheel, the health packs, and the loss of vehicle play. These made resistance 2 feel more like other games. Other than that I really enjoyed everything else about the game and continue to highly recommend it.
  14. Mar 6, 2012
    What a great game... I cant believe how some people gave this game such low scores! Its an AWESOME! game.. I recommend this game to every PS3 owner gamer out there.
  15. Mar 6, 2012
    great game! I cant believe how some people gave this game such low scores! Its an AWESOME! game.. I recommend this game to every "REAL" gamer out there.
  16. Nov 11, 2011
    Very good game with a great story. Story is well written and a definite improvement over the last game in the series. Lots of fun weapons to play with, but the weapon wheel has been replace by the two weapon system found in most games. Lots of variety in levels and enemies, resulting in an unpredictable and thrilling experience. Co-op is great in this game and gives you a leveling systemVery good game with a great story. Story is well written and a definite improvement over the last game in the series. Lots of fun weapons to play with, but the weapon wheel has been replace by the two weapon system found in most games. Lots of variety in levels and enemies, resulting in an unpredictable and thrilling experience. Co-op is great in this game and gives you a leveling system which will keep you playing for a good amount of time. Multiplayer is better than ever with big team matches and lots of unlocks and upgrades to keep you entertained. Expand
  17. Jan 16, 2014
    This game is truly epic! More enemies, better guns, updated game mechanics. Let's start with the core gameplay. One thing I did not like about this was the sudden change of the gun system. In Fall of Man and Resistance Retribution (PSP), once you pick up a gun, it's yours to keep forever. Here, they removed that and made it more like Call of Duty. You can now sprint (something you couldn'tThis game is truly epic! More enemies, better guns, updated game mechanics. Let's start with the core gameplay. One thing I did not like about this was the sudden change of the gun system. In Fall of Man and Resistance Retribution (PSP), once you pick up a gun, it's yours to keep forever. Here, they removed that and made it more like Call of Duty. You can now sprint (something you couldn't do in FoM and Retribution) and you can only carry two guns at a time.I guess that's not a bad thing, but I played this game the second after I completed the first, and the wacky controls surprised me.

Storywise, the Chimera have gotten stronger, and now have giant airships capable of leveling cities. How Hale escaped London alive is a mystery (but it probably can be answered via ingame intel and the wiki).
    In my opinion, the Chimera have become almost godlike. Fall of Man showed that their survival depended on humans, or they would not be able to produce any more soldiers, but in Resistance 2, they seem to have gotten past the Conversion problem. There are also a hell of a lot more non-humanoid creatures. The damn spinners, chameleons, krakens and more. I also don't like how they removed the cutscenes which explains what is happening (and narrated by a soothing british accent). Resistance 2 and Retribution came out at almost the same time (hooking your PSP up to the PS3 with R2 gives your PSP game extra stuff), yet they are completely different.

Regarding weapons, the Auger is far more powerful than it was before. You can see your enemies from behind walls, the bullets are much faster and deal far more damage. There are also new guns that really should have been in Retribution, but were left out.

Regardless, a fantastic sequel!
  18. Dec 27, 2011
    I don't know what all the complaining is about with this game. I guess people were just a little spoilt with the first one. Let me just comment on each of the complaints:

(1) "The AI is weak". Well to be honest I have not found a shooter yet with particularly strong AI - HALO 1-3 included (shock horror) (2) "It looks poor and jerky". What on EARTH are you lot on about?? It looks

(2) "It looks poor and jerky". What on EARTH are you lot on about?? It looks impressive to me, and I see no slow down even in massive battles - just like the first.

(3) "The story is weak". Well I am sorry to say that 95% of the games I have played the story is a bit weak. In fact most FPS games the story is week, and is just a mechanism to introduce action set peices. Sorry but it's true.

(4) "Can only carry 2 weapons". GOOD I say. There was too much choice in the first one. Makes the whole thing tighter and feels better for it. Lets face it you generally have two favoured guns you always use in just about every shooter.

So after all that, I think it is a good solid FPS game. Pinches bits from other games and films, but then show my a game that doesn't. It can feel a bit run of the mill at times, but come on!! At least ten hours of gameplay and you want show stopper every minute - get real. There are plenty of scenes where you just have to stop and marvel as the scale and artwork are quite breathtaking. A great game to while away a dark night, with a few shocks and "WOW" moments on the way. Deffinately worth a go, and a must if you have played the first and inted to play the third!!
  19. Nov 18, 2012
    This game is much better then the second one. I disagree with all the negative reviews here. Gears of war is too stupid for me to get into. This however is much better.
  20. Dec 27, 2012
    i discovered resistance 3 by accident, so i decided to play resistance 1 and resistance 2 as well. there is no way this game sucks. it was more fun than the other 2, and i liked them as well. but this game had so much fun stuff in it with the monsters and the vehicles. maybe i am naive, but i definitely see some haters and trolls knocking this game beyond a reasonable complaint. ifi discovered resistance 3 by accident, so i decided to play resistance 1 and resistance 2 as well. there is no way this game sucks. it was more fun than the other 2, and i liked them as well. but this game had so much fun stuff in it with the monsters and the vehicles. maybe i am naive, but i definitely see some haters and trolls knocking this game beyond a reasonable complaint. if you are like me and are searching for a new game that you haven't played that doesn't suck, this is one fun game. Expand
  21. Mar 25, 2013
    8-Presentation; The story is not as good as the first game, but the menu's are well laid out and easy to navigate.
    9.5-Graphics; Beautiful art style, amazing models and textures, and amazing scope.
    10-Sound; The music, sfx, and voice acting is excellent. 9-Game play; The AI is much better this time around, but no vehicle segments sadly. However, the mechanics are so well done.
    10-Sound; The music, sfx, and voice acting is excellent.
    9-Lasting appeal; Single player, co-op, and multiplayer will take forever to unlock everything you can.
    Overall-9/10
  22. Apr 12, 2013
    Dont be fooled by the poor user rating this game is a solid 8.5 to 9.0. Great frame rate, very nice graphics and good control. I was pleasantly supprised by this game. I would have rated in higher with maybe more weapon upgrades. More open level design, this is a very linear game it's main downfall in my opinion. I will say the single play is a lot of fun, you will most likely want toDont be fooled by the poor user rating this game is a solid 8.5 to 9.0. Great frame rate, very nice graphics and good control. I was pleasantly supprised by this game. I would have rated in higher with maybe more weapon upgrades. More open level design, this is a very linear game it's main downfall in my opinion. I will say the single play is a lot of fun, you will most likely want to finish this game. I have spent a small amount of time on the multiplayer so far it's above average. I have not played it enough to form a solid opion. You can pick this game up cheap at gamestop used well worth it. Expand
  23. May 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The single player is epic in scope and in story, which is practically worth the price of admission by itself. Then you throw in the extremely engaging co-op and competitive play, which expands on replayability in just about every way possible. Toss in a generous number of unlockables, trophies and community support, and you've got a phenomenal experience. Expand
  24. Apr 6, 2014
    The best console shooter i've played. Neat setting, cool guns, nice story, giant bosses. Enjoying multiplayer (too bad it's pulled off on 8th of april, but you can sstil try to play splitscreen co-op).

It has some strange nods to CoD with 2 weapon slots, but there are always few guns lying under your feet. And health regen, well, no big deal. If you haven't played Resistance games,

If you haven't played Resistance games, it's probably best to start with the 1st to keep up with the story.
  25. May 15, 2013
    This game is an improvement on the first one. Its more epic with some new Chimera enemy types that are awesome. The story is more interesting as well adding a few new plot twists to the original first game that are pretty interesting. The gameplay is good to and the great weapon design is back with a new and improved Auger, possibly one of my favourite guns in gaming. There is somethingThis game is an improvement on the first one. Its more epic with some new Chimera enemy types that are awesome. The story is more interesting as well adding a few new plot twists to the original first game that are pretty interesting. The gameplay is good to and the great weapon design is back with a new and improved Auger, possibly one of my favourite guns in gaming. There is something wrong though, where the original seperated itself more from the norm this feels more generic. You can now only carry two guns at a time and your health regenerates more like a conventional FPS. Also to enjoy this you have to be patient, even on the normal setting this game can be difficult in places, especially the last level. Overall than a great game that is a bit better than the first Expand
  26. Apr 2, 2016
    Great gunplay, fun weapons, a solid campaign with a tight narrative and fast-paced combat, meaning, you can die quickly but so do enemies. One of the essential arcadey singleplayer-centric FPS's of the time along with its sequel and the Killzone series.
  27. Sep 29, 2013
    "Resistance 2" en mi opinión tuvo la capacidad de afrontar la nueva generación, después de una encantadora primera parte ("Fall of Man"). Si gustan del género de videojuegos ciencia ficción y first person shooter, te prometo que será bienvenido a tu colección de juegos de PlayStation 3. Alrededor del juego hay muchas sorpresas y sin hablar del final que es excelente. Por otro lado, un"Resistance 2" en mi opinión tuvo la capacidad de afrontar la nueva generación, después de una encantadora primera parte ("Fall of Man"). Si gustan del género de videojuegos ciencia ficción y first person shooter, te prometo que será bienvenido a tu colección de juegos de PlayStation 3. Alrededor del juego hay muchas sorpresas y sin hablar del final que es excelente. Por otro lado, un multijugador excelente y uno de mis juegos favoritos del año 2008. Expand
  28. Jun 13, 2014
    I love this game and I recommend it to any one, its got a great action-horror atmosphere and lovely graphics. The fact that this game is more linear and only allows you to carry two guns doesn't mean the game sucks , each and every gun is cool in its own way and especially the enemies and the co-op system is another great way for every one to enjoy the game and its story.
  29. Sep 3, 2014
    es un juego muy bueno en la historia y la jugabilidad la música me parece apropiada para algunos momentos las muertes nos enojan a mas de uno el multijugador no tengo nada que decir simplemente no funciona el cooperativo es una broma la conexión con resistance retribution de psp no funciona
    y aparte de vez en cuando los controles no responden
  30. Jul 26, 2014
    This was by far my favourite game on PS3 and the nearest FPS to get near the Half Life series. Wish it would come over to PS4, then I would have some use for the console.
  31. Dec 18, 2015
    Awesome game. The storyline is top notch and the level design really sets it apart from a lot of other games on the PS3. The multiplayer modes are good as well and the musical score weaved throughout the campaign is some of the best I've heard yet in a shooter. My only qualm with the game was that I thought the graphics weren't much better than the first resistance, and the swarm levelAwesome game. The storyline is top notch and the level design really sets it apart from a lot of other games on the PS3. The multiplayer modes are good as well and the musical score weaved throughout the campaign is some of the best I've heard yet in a shooter. My only qualm with the game was that I thought the graphics weren't much better than the first resistance, and the swarm level didn't really fit the rest of the story. Besides that though you'll love the epic boss battles as well as the clever enemy AI and spectacular weapons design. A must play for sure for any true shooter fan. Expand

2. It succeeds because it doesn’t just try to throw more humans into the same old environments and gameplay. It offers a smart three class system that encourages savvy team-work, an experience meter that builds to enable special attacks and uses levels designed specifically for the mode to maximise the resulting gameplay. It also dynamically shifts the action to take into account the number and skill of players in each game, making for near endless replayability. It’s a hit, pure and simple.
    Resistance 2 is gutsier, it’s gorier, and it’s much, much bigger.