Resistance 3 PlayStation 3

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Sep 6, 2011
7.8

1. Sep 8, 2011
    The unique multi-player part from R2, has been removed. The PVE part was the greatest thing ever seen, and now they totally destroy it with just an abnormal FPS. Multi-player part: PVP only. This is just a Half-Life, U-Torrent, Quake look a like.... Have never ever been so desapointet, was so looking forward for this game. Dead Island will be my thing instead.
  2. Sep 15, 2011
    It's not often that I feel the need to write a review about a game but I did this time because my expectations were so high for Insomniac on the handling of this and it ended up falling FAR below my expectations. The campaign side of the game is solid but not particularly innovating. If the game were that alone I would rate this a solid 7 and maybe even an 8... but throw in the completeIt's not often that I feel the need to write a review about a game but I did this time because my expectations were so high for Insomniac on the handling of this and it ended up falling FAR below my expectations. The campaign side of the game is solid but not particularly innovating. If the game were that alone I would rate this a solid 7 and maybe even an 8... but throw in the complete mess of multiplayer and I can't help but rate that portion as a 1 or even a big fat ZERO. As sad as it may be in the FPS world today multiplayer is the big determining factor for replayability but this just seemed like 2 steps back from R2. If you feel like you can just jump right in and play the multiplayer you are in for a shock. Get ready to see beautiful scenery and bright flashes of light, color, and skills that can blow your mind and probably confuse you until you can create your custom load out with the video demos of what each thing does. Insomniac couldn't be bothered to print the descriptions of each skill in the manual so for the first few levels you'll be completely lost on what each thing does unless you research it online or watch the demos. Unfortunately, the pretty scenery doesnt get you anywhere when the gameplay is so lacking. The main issue I find is that the lag is insane. To make this worse it's not network lag, it's graphical lag. The PS3 just simply cannot handle all the flashes and effects when 3 or more players are congregated in close proximity. You can forget about getting a bead on someone's head while aiming down the sights with anything but the sniper rifle due to the jerky movements and lost frames when your PS3 is chugging along trying to put everything in it's proper place. You think that person you've unloaded your entire carbine clip into is standing in front of you but really they've already one shotted you from the side by an atomizer or shotgun.

That brings up the second major issue. There is VERY little skill involved with the gameplay and has more to do with the dedication of time getting past that low level grind so you can get weapons that will utterly demolish people. I can't even count the number of times I have died without understanding how it happened. I will see and hear no gunfire, receive no warning, and be immediately dead due to either a glitch or a skill/weapon that gives an enormous advantage over lower level players. Can you imagine sitting there with a weapon that can take up to 30 shots to kill someone versus another player that is invisible, undetectable by radar, shielded, and is carrying multiple one shot kill weapons or can see you and fire through walls? All this said the game has potential to be fixed through updates. Its impressive to look at and with a little tweak in balancing my review could be seriously re-evaluated. In doing research online a lot of the people that played the beta and other pre-finalized versions stated the frame rate issues were not nearly as bad but still present.

Pros - Beautiful to look at.
    Creative weaponry and skills.
    Good, Solid story.

Cons - Graphical lag via lost frames.
    No explanation of multiplayer skills from the beginning.
    Unbalanced weaponry and skills.
  3. Sep 9, 2011
    Despite showing off a good atmosphere and a decent story. Resistance 3 fails to innovate or make the player interested in something not unlike any other shooter.
    The multiplayer still feels unbalanced and awkward and the SvE is gone completely, something that was a gamemaker for many people.
  4. Sep 22, 2011
    WOW, this game is just plain awful! What a steaming pile. This series has fallen off a long way. The story is a pathetic attempt. The graphic are dated. The game play is nothing but rip offs from a half dozen far better shooters. This thing is so full of bugs and unpolished that it's hard to even play the game at times. The multiplayer, yea if you can even call it that is unpolished andWOW, this game is just plain awful! What a steaming pile. This series has fallen off a long way. The story is a pathetic attempt. The graphic are dated. The game play is nothing but rip offs from a half dozen far better shooters. This thing is so full of bugs and unpolished that it's hard to even play the game at times. The multiplayer, yea if you can even call it that is unpolished and boring. You can't find anyone playing either. I imagine this is going to get worse with the release of Gears of War 3 followed by three other real shooters coming out soon. Insomniac is supposed to be coming out with a patch soon to fix the crippling bugs, but I won't be around to see it, this train wreck of a game is getting returned today. I think I'm done with Insomniac games, if this piece of garbage is the best they can come with. Expand
  5. Feb 15, 2012
    The series has really crashed and burned, culminating in this terrible end to the trilogy. The single player, while fun on occasion, is fairly short, and not even remotely challenging. The "advanced" AI advertised before release is particularly disappointing. The biggest disappointment from the single player is the ending, which takes a mere minute and follows a cookie-cutter happyThe series has really crashed and burned, culminating in this terrible end to the trilogy. The single player, while fun on occasion, is fairly short, and not even remotely challenging. The "advanced" AI advertised before release is particularly disappointing. The biggest disappointment from the single player is the ending, which takes a mere minute and follows a cookie-cutter happy ending formula. The multiplayer abandons anything unique it had and adds a bunch of gimmicks like loadouts, killstreaks, and perks. Gone are the days of Resistance: Fall of Man when the multiplayer was something unique and incredibly fun. Resistance 3 even loses the one saving grace from Resistance 2's multiplayer component, the 8 player co-op. Overall just a disappointing experience, even though I went into it with already low expectations. Expand
  6. Dec 17, 2011
    Wow..this game just could not live up to modern shooters. From a single player perspective...it was OUTDATED! The only good thing about this game, is the promo commercial Kevin Butler did for it.
  7. Nov 23, 2012
    I really enjoyed the first game fall of man,the story was good you knew what to do and where to go,it looked nice was atmospheric and played really well,then the sequel came and everything that was good about the original went out the window to be replaced with a tedious trial and error game where you died every 10 seconds because enemies would just spawn out of nowhere all around you, andI really enjoyed the first game fall of man,the story was good you knew what to do and where to go,it looked nice was atmospheric and played really well,then the sequel came and everything that was good about the original went out the window to be replaced with a tedious trial and error game where you died every 10 seconds because enemies would just spawn out of nowhere all around you, and you'd be lost as to what do do and where to go,but you did occasionally get allies and hints but it was still very confusing at times,then number 3 games along which the reviews said brought back most of what was good about the original,well they were lying because the only thing bought back is the weapons wheel and everything else about it is more of the second game but even worse,this is one incredibly tedious game riddled with trial and error game-play,they do attempt to tell the story a bit,but it's lame and makes little sense as it doesn't tie in with the other games,it seams the developer unlike people in general hasn't learned from it's mistakes,but they probably don't care once they have your money,so more fool me for buying this P.O.S of a game,I'd say it's not even worth a rent,I am not sure about the multi-player,but the campaign is very bad in deed. Expand
  8. Jul 21, 2013
    Somewhat fun, but boring and repetitive. Then, you reach the tower and while trying to enter the tower, they make it impossible to get into because of the relentless waves of enemies and no ammo. It was ridiculous.
  9. Dec 18, 2013
    Not a good game at all. I wanted to play this with a friend but somehow it just doesn't work. The graphics are really bad and the story and characters never get interesting. Even the gameplay seems worse then the first game.
  10. May 28, 2013
    When Resistance 2 came, a lot of players complained and said it was not a RESISTANCE TITLE. But they loved this game. In all honesty I waited 3 years for this game. Pre ordered it and got all the DLCs, and pre order bonuses. When I finished the campaign. I was furious. They took a franchise that was so good, and dug it right ground. Don't look at the positive reviews for this game. If thisWhen Resistance 2 came, a lot of players complained and said it was not a RESISTANCE TITLE. But they loved this game. In all honesty I waited 3 years for this game. Pre ordered it and got all the DLCs, and pre order bonuses. When I finished the campaign. I was furious. They took a franchise that was so good, and dug it right ground. Don't look at the positive reviews for this game. If this game was called something other than Resistance, it might have been a good game, but its not.

The story is around 5 hours long. The core mechanics that were present in the previous titles are gone. The protagonist was replaced with a good character, that was not properly played out in this game. The pacing of the story is off as well. The AI is crap.

What insomniac did in their 3 to 4 years of development was that they took everything Call of Duty stands for and Threw a coat of Resistance on it and called it their game. Resistance 3.

The only thing I found good about this game were the graphics and some of the detailing to the weaponry and it effects, such as the mutator, and the atomizer.

The game was also falsely advertised. In a trailer they show a group of people heading to new York together. And in another there is a little girl who begins to follow Capelli to NY as well. None of these details came into the game at all. You stuck with one other character for the time being. A lot of the road you were alone. Sure they had communication with certain characters but it made it feel forced. Many times when you would need dialog it was not there, and then at other times they threw it in for the hell of it.

As for MP, They got rid of the clan system, went from 60 players online to 16. Went from an all out war to a camp fest. Put in perks that allowed you to get ammo, and let you spawn with a rocket launcher. WOW Just shoot away and spawn trap. Players had no chance. The game went from Resistance to Call of Duty in 3 years. Sad.

The game was a really disappointing installment, and I am glad Insomniac is no longer on this franchise. This franchise is in need of a reboot. All thanks to this installment.

1. Mar 12, 2012
    They say the show must go on and in the Resistance world there are still questions to be answered, but the disappointing nature of this third instalment and its failure to deliver at retail most likely means this is the last release in the series. Perhaps such an end is the best option all round.
  2. Dec 19, 2011
    Resistance 3 does plenty. It's beautiful, thrilling, and-quite unexpectedly-contains one of the most memorable campaigns this side of Halo and Half-Life. In a year full of Sony-branded disappointments, Insomniac has produced an absolute gem.
  3. Dec 16, 2011
    As a conclusion to the franchise (no doubt pending an awkwardly justified fourth game and spin-offs), Resistance 3 manages to send it off as gracefully as possible.