Resistance: Fall of Man PlayStation 3

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Nov 14, 2006
8.1

1. May 31, 2012
    8.5 - Resistance is a fine FPS with a wonderful sense of scope. Playing for the first time almost 6 years after it's release, I finally understand the excitement revolving around the game. Great voice acting, fair character animations, and an intriguing (if unexplored) world and fiction. A fairly strong sense of pacing keeps this game from getting too dull, as some parts remind of the8.5 - Resistance is a fine FPS with a wonderful sense of scope. Playing for the first time almost 6 years after it's release, I finally understand the excitement revolving around the game. Great voice acting, fair character animations, and an intriguing (if unexplored) world and fiction. A fairly strong sense of pacing keeps this game from getting too dull, as some parts remind of the great Half Life 2. The incredible, versatile, and creative arsenal that you have at your disposal is a blast to play around with. Resistance truly gives the player tools of destruction to blast quickly through hoards of enemies, making each encounter blisteringly fast paced instead of a dull and boring. The most commendable feature of Resistance is the art direction. Aside from the surprisingly sharp graphics (that trump some games of today), the looming Chimeran structures in the distance and the incredible amounts of detail gone into the creatures and world itself is truly astounding. Browns, greys, and blacks fill the color pallet, but I only feel that this is frowned upon due to playing so many other "brown FPS" games in recent years. Insomniac has some brilliantly creative minds. There are times when Resistance begins to tear at the seams, and difficulty spikes near the end prove frustrating and cheap, but Resistance: Fall of Man is a highly polished and exciting FPS that delivers all the intensity, intrigue, and chaos of a top tier FPS. And it's so cheap now, it's almost a crime not to give it a try! Expand
  2. Nov 11, 2011
    Great game, however it borrows some ideas from half-life. Not a bad thing, because half-life is great, as is half-life 2. This game is fun to play with lots of interesting enemies and weapons. The mulitplayer is fun but it is fairly generic. Co-op is good, but not top notch and is only good for 1 playthrough. Lack of motion controls hinders you from experiencing the intensity of theGreat game, however it borrows some ideas from half-life. Not a bad thing, because half-life is great, as is half-life 2. This game is fun to play with lots of interesting enemies and weapons. The mulitplayer is fun but it is fairly generic. Co-op is good, but not top notch and is only good for 1 playthrough. Lack of motion controls hinders you from experiencing the intensity of the firefights, and lack of trophy support gives it slightly less replay value. Expand
  3. Mar 25, 2013
    10-Presentation; The plot, setting, and characters are a success.
    10-Graphics; The art style may lack variety, but everything is so well done.
    8.5-Sound; Music is hit or miss, but the voice acting and sound effects are excellent. 10-Game play; The levels, controls, mechanics, and AI are excellent. 10-Lasting value; There's co-op, 16 hour campaign, 40 player multiplayer, tons of weapons
    10-Presentation; The plot, setting, and characters are a success.
    10-Graphics; The art style may lack variety, but everything is so well done.
    10-Game play; The levels, controls, mechanics, and AI are excellent.
    10-Lasting value; There's co-op, 16 hour campaign, 40 player multiplayer, tons of weapons and modes, and tons to unlock.
    Overall-10/10
  4. Jan 22, 2014
    Resistance has the best and most fascinating alternate history setting I know. Resistance Fall of Man is a very good game, and about the only game that revolves around Human-alien war which is something I really like and I really like science fiction, there is no other game that portrays war in Britain, and more importantly, there is no other game that realistically features Human fightingResistance has the best and most fascinating alternate history setting I know. Resistance Fall of Man is a very good game, and about the only game that revolves around Human-alien war which is something I really like and I really like science fiction, there is no other game that portrays war in Britain, and more importantly, there is no other game that realistically features Human fighting against aliens and that is something I really like.

The story is fantastic and well imagined, and there is a big alternate history background to it, the Russian Revolution fails so there is no Communism or Soviet Union, the first World War plays out differently and so World War II never happened. Also, Russia closes it's borders in 1921 and is still an empire; still ruled by Tsar as the aliens take over the massive country and there are a load of other historical changes as well. You should read the whole fictional history on Resistance Wiki.

The story is narrated by a female soldier called Rachel Parker, telling you about what's happening, what goes on and what happened, and you get to see photos of events shown in no colour, making it look more realistic, of course they are a bit too blurred and unclear though.

The weapons are very good, and there are skill-points similar to Ratchet & Clank, it's just stupid that Insomniac didn't do any trophies to this game. The NPC soldiers beside you are OK... depending on the difficulty and there are times where they are terrible and barely fight the aliens which does bring down the game at times, and there are times where they fight and kill the enemies. I just don't understand why people can make up smart enemies but not NPC allies around you.

The story in this game in single player is about Europe being invaded and overrun by frightening aliens and eventually invading Britain, and they came out of Russia. The US and British forces come together to fight off and drive the Chimera out of Britain. You are Nathan Hale and you partake in the fight for Britain as you fight along soldiers or alone a lot of the time.

As for the multiplayer, I never went online on the Ps3 until recently and I like it so much, sadly, because this is an old game, nobody plays it and when I get into servers, whoever makes up the server puts on stupid settings like 1 shot kill and takes away much of the weapons, I don't understand why they want to do that, whoever hosts the games. They are custom and not ranked though, you can't get any ranked games now. Playing 40 player battles would be enjoyable, but it's too late for that now. But I am not judging or rating this game by today's standards.

This game has a very good feel to me and an engaging story which may leave you with questions such as how this all happened, what happens to Britain and western Europe after, what happened to Europe during the invasion and what happened to Russia. I just absolutely wish Resistance was made in this generation, right now, rather than 7 years ago, I would love this game to have really realistic graphics like other games, and much better A.I. Resistance is not flawless, but it has a fantastic setup, but sadly, its sequels were poorly handled and has lots of problems.
  5. Feb 10, 2013
    Short version: one of the greatest games of all time!

Long version: The alternate-history storyline was really good and imaginative, and the color palette really made me feel like I was in WW2-era Europe. The weapons were a great mix of realistic and over-the-top sci-fi, and great fun to shoot. The enemy designs were awesome, and the level design was greatly varied to keep things
    Short version: one of the greatest games of all time!

Long version:
    The alternate-history storyline was really good and imaginative, and the color palette really made me feel like I was in WW2-era Europe. The weapons were a great mix of realistic and over-the-top sci-fi, and great fun to shoot. The enemy designs were awesome, and the level design was greatly varied to keep things interesting: some were very battle-action-oriented, and others were more creepy and tense. Then the developers made a great game into a super-awesome game by including unlimited weapons, vehicle segments, health packs, split-screen co-op (rare these days), and 4-way split-screen multiplayer (ultra-rare). And the soundtrack is excellent and fits the game perfectly with its militaristic sci-fi vibe! This is the game that got me back into FPS gaming.
  6. Sep 29, 2013
    "Resistance: Fall of Man" es un first person shooter de ciencia ficción inteligente que, en un minuto de juego sabe hacerte entender que, en realidad es uno de los títulos de PlayStation 2 más jugado en mucho tiempo desde 2006 que traspasó las ventas. Yo me encuentro entre esas personas; "Resistance: Fall of Man" es un juego vicioso para los que les gusten los videojuegos de disparos en"Resistance: Fall of Man" es un first person shooter de ciencia ficción inteligente que, en un minuto de juego sabe hacerte entender que, en realidad es uno de los títulos de PlayStation 2 más jugado en mucho tiempo desde 2006 que traspasó las ventas. Yo me encuentro entre esas personas; "Resistance: Fall of Man" es un juego vicioso para los que les gusten los videojuegos de disparos en primera persona tipo "Killzone". Expand
  7. May 30, 2014
    If you want to play an original and traditional first person shooter though have a less outdated feel whilst playing, then Resistance: Fall of Man is for you. This game is hard...really hard, and enjoys to keep the action short and sweet, but with a huge bang. Resistance is a long game for its genre, and is full of collectibles and achievements which obtain skill points to unlock goodiesIf you want to play an original and traditional first person shooter though have a less outdated feel whilst playing, then Resistance: Fall of Man is for you. This game is hard...really hard, and enjoys to keep the action short and sweet, but with a huge bang. Resistance is a long game for its genre, and is full of collectibles and achievements which obtain skill points to unlock goodies such as concept art. While the M.P. may be gone forever, the offline M.P. and offline cooperative mode for campaign are both worth a purchase. Resistance: Fall of Man is one of the best first-person shooters of all time. Expand
  8. Feb 3, 2014
    Story: 7 out of 10, Graphics: 8 out of 10, Fun: 8 out of 10, Controls: 7 out of 10, Ease to Learn: 7 out of 10, Length: 7 out of 10, Re-play: 7 out of 10, Value: 8 out of 10

From start to finish, Fall of Man is one hell of an outstanding roller coaster ride that every last PS3 owner needs for day one...Above all else, it's the multiplayer elements that truly ascend this one to the next level. It's a must have for sure.
  2. When you kill an enemy it doesn't disappear and when you blow up part of the near fully destructible environments the pieces don't go away either. The obvious power of the PS3 and the masterful coding work of the developers let everything stay on screen all the time while never taking a frame hit. This is an incredible accomplishment for a launch game on any system. [JPN Import]
    Resistance falls a little short of being the hoped-for "Halo-killer," but with a package that would be considered complete by any standards, it delivers a launch classic, and it lives up to its billing as the PS3's killer app.