7.9

1. Aug 4, 2012
    Simply put, this is the game Final Fantasy XIII should have been. The tone and feel of the game is similar to that of Final Fantasy VII and VIII, with the same semi-open world map and a heap of minor sub missions. The world feels rich and alive, and the gameplay is fast and exciting. The art style mirrors that of a true anime and despite some stiff animations during some cut scenes, theSimply put, this is the game Final Fantasy XIII should have been. The tone and feel of the game is similar to that of Final Fantasy VII and VIII, with the same semi-open world map and a heap of minor sub missions. The world feels rich and alive, and the gameplay is fast and exciting. The art style mirrors that of a true anime and despite some stiff animations during some cut scenes, the game holds up well even a few years after its release. The reason it loses a point is due to its simplistic tutorial (that is optional and can easily be missed), which fails to fully explain how to perform all the moves in this somewhat complicated, yet easy to master game. Expand
  2. Oct 25, 2010
    Firstly this is not a game for everyone. In some ways this is an old school J-rpg and at times it seems hell bent on beating the crap out of you.This game requires you to get used to get killed in an ordinary battle on the map and will punish you mercilessly for a slip of judgement and any moment of bad luck. There is grind involved and if you don't like japanese rpg storylines well youFirstly this is not a game for everyone. In some ways this is an old school J-rpg and at times it seems hell bent on beating the crap out of you.This game requires you to get used to get killed in an ordinary battle on the map and will punish you mercilessly for a slip of judgement and any moment of bad luck. There is grind involved and if you don't like japanese rpg storylines well you wont like this one. Having said all that this game is probably the best Jrpg on the PS3. The battle system is deep and one you get the hang of it incredibly rewarding which is good because if you don't get the hang of it this game will punish you. The combination of risk and reward in the bezel system which requires you to constantly risk everything allows for some incredibly tense battles and keeps the action fast and frantic and never loses its challenge. The puzzle system of the hex grid and the crafting system means that there is nearly always a reward for you grind be its stat boosts through the towers or new clothes or items discovered in a treasure chest from unlocking just that one extra hex. Added to this the numerous side quests the interesting and well designed towns and levels and good artistic vision this is my personal game of the year and to be honest i suspect that this game will go on to be much better liked than the vast majority of the "expert" reviews would have you believe. Expand
  3. Mar 9, 2011
    Amazing game, this game got way too much flak for a "steep learning curve". It just requires some actual thought on how to battle and once you actually master the battle system you can pretty much breeze through all encounters surprisingly quickly with little thought. The characters are incredibly witty, there's some excellent banter going on in the cutscenes on the occassion immatureAmazing game, this game got way too much flak for a "steep learning curve". It just requires some actual thought on how to battle and once you actually master the battle system you can pretty much breeze through all encounters surprisingly quickly with little thought. The characters are incredibly witty, there's some excellent banter going on in the cutscenes on the occassion immature humour is played straight as a mockery/for a laugh and this works particularly well (if they tried playing it seriously it would be... an affront to anyone's intellect but eh.)

The only downside to the game I can think of is it can quickly become repetetive and at times if you're going for trophies an absolute GRIND-FEST. The storyline is told in a subtle way, lots of fore-shadowing and allusion rather than outright plot-progressing. At times it can feel that there is no over-arching storyline but it is there and it rewards those who go looking for it and investigating into matters personally. Other than that this is an excellent game well worth a purchase.
  4. Dec 13, 2010
    Resonance of Fate is awesome in gameplay. Hardcore rpg fans will like it for sure. But the characters and story are boring. P.S. a lot of attention to clothing ^_^
  5. Feb 27, 2014
    this game features a complex and satisfying combat system, that's unique among rpg's. the story is good and takes a good 60 hours to complete, as well as arena battles and post game areas that add to play time. graphically this game is beautiful. the amazing gameplay, story, and graphics make this game not only a really great game, but possibly my favorite game of all time.
  6. Jan 2, 2014
    I think this is my favourite JRPG ever. Probably the best thing I ever bought for my PS3 as well, Tri-Ace and Motoi Sakuraba again and more than a handful of design elements carried over from Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria (another excellent title), Japanese audio, amazing combat system, OTT characters and a huuuge learning curve, legitimately challenging without being cheap and onceI think this is my favourite JRPG ever. Probably the best thing I ever bought for my PS3 as well, Tri-Ace and Motoi Sakuraba again and more than a handful of design elements carried over from Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria (another excellent title), Japanese audio, amazing combat system, OTT characters and a huuuge learning curve, legitimately challenging without being cheap and once mastered, the game is a pleasure to play from beginning to end. Expand
  7. Apr 1, 2014
    I love this over the top action strategy Japanese rpg
    However instead of instantly falling in love with Resonance of Fate it was a slow and gradual process. At first the lack of explanation of core features of the game introduces a lot of frustration to the game but as the time went on and I've learned and discovered new and new combat features I started to love this game.
    Not only the
    I love this over the top action strategy Japanese rpg

Not only the gameplay is deep and addicting there are also most amazing ways of customizing equipment. Nothing stops gun customization other than your imagination. So many new and unique features to discover.

Not only that but english dialogue can be downright hilarious. I love those small cut scenes that bring smile to my face.

Overall one of the better jrpgs I've ever played.
  8. Feb 28, 2014
    Call me crazy but I loved this game. It was fun, quirky and different at every step of the way and I really enjoyed that. Some classic RPG elements but everything else is just plain weird and yet... amazing. The battle system is unique and very engaging. The story line is odd, but keeps your coming back for more. Music, graphics, controls and everything else is solid. You should buy this game.
  9. Aug 19, 2014
    According to the reviews of many out there, this game is hard. I can hardly see why they have said so. While the story is dull, the battle system is quite remarkable. For me, it's turn based yet still half realtime battle system is great. It's easy, Even I have never once used a first aid kit.

1. A hugely interesting game, as fascinating as it is frequently frustrating, as engaging as it is eccentric and, for those who are hooked by its quirky charms, it will provide one of the most inspired approaches to the JRPG seen in a decade.
  2. Resonance of Fate may appeal to the JRPG connoisseur who is looking for an interesting and challenging new take on combat. Others most likely will be thrown off by the silliness, steep learning curve, required grinding, and other pains – especially when there are so many recent well-rounded RPGs out there.
  3. Resonance of Fate is one of the best JRPG of these last months. Featuring a deep combat system and a huge load of interesting ideas, this game is a true gem for the RPG fans. The main story has a diesel acceleration, but after few hours everything looks great.