7.0

1. Oct 13, 2012
    This game is truly awful. Think all the frustration of old-school GTA with none of the refinement or fun. Worst yet are the 'hilarious' jokes.

You can't just say, "Remember Duck Hunt?" That's not parody. That's not a satire. It's not a joke and it's not funny. It's just a reference with no context or humour, and ultimately it's just riding on someone's coattails. For some reason this
    game gets credit as a love letter to old school gaming but it's really just a shameless rip off. Just asking the player to remember classics of yore while doing nothing to live up to their standard is incredibly annoying in my book.

It's also a very ugly game. I have nothing against retro-style graphics -- in fact I like 'em more than the next guy -- but this game is artless with its tiny sprites with no detail. Worse yet there is no style or whimsy to them, which is why we loved those old games. This game looks like the worst NES games that we've all forgotten, and rightly so. Of course in the end it really comes down to gameplay, and in that area this game is terrible as well. There's a cover mechanic, but it's utterly useless. The lock on makes it hard to target the enemies that are the biggest threat, but aiming manually is sloppy and difficult. You can take a ton of gunfire but explosions are pretty much an instant kill. Speaking of which, thrown weapons like dynamite and grenades are as likely to blow up in your face and kill you as they are to kill your target -- actually, you're much *more* likely to kill yourself. I could go on. All in all this game is a disaster. I read that the guy who made it took 10 years to do so. If that's true, he wasted his life. Next time join the Peace Corps or something.

1. Joking about how players have to ride from point A to B all time, is not funny, it is bad game design. You can argue for ages about the quality of the jokes and gags, but lets not forget that this high-speed roller-coaster of parodies has some unique and interesting gameplay mechanics to offer. [February 2013, p.94]
  2. Feb 28, 2013
    The passion is clear, the charm magnetic and the gameplay enjoyable, but Retro City Rampage does fall back on weak gags a little too often to achieve greatness. [Issue#228, p.80]
  3. Feb 3, 2013
    Retro City Rampage is a game that fans of retro gaming should play.